PDA

View Full Version : What do you expect from Ross?

Unseen work
16-11-2019, 01:55 AM
What are we all expecting from Ross then in terms of style of play, recruitment, set up etc?

Personally I can see him trying to bring in a few familiar faces, Lewis Morgan being one. I also read an article where it was mentioned he is likes bringing in guys that have captained their club as he likes a lot of leaders on the park - something we’re screaming out for imo.

He also seems quite versatile in his approach, I can see him using a 352 with us, I appreciate the diamond worked last week however that was against a very poor St Johnstone team. Other teams may dominate us more in the middle of the park with that same midfield imo.

With Bogdan and Efe rumoured to be coming back could we see a set up of

..........................Maxwell/Bogdan...........

...........Efe/Jackson......Porto......Hanlon......

Boyle..................Mallan......Hallberg....... ......Stevenson

...............................Allan...........

..................Kamberi..........Doidge......

I have high expectations for him and think he will try to play good football as he knows it will win over large sections of fans and buy him more time.

Going by Dempster's latest interview I can also see him being backed in the January window, I think Ross and the recruitment team will have very similar ideas of personal they want in which should make the targets a lot easier and quicker to get in.

I don’t think we’re far off having a strong team, if we got Bogdan and Efe back in along with some quality like Morgan and a holding defensive midfielder I don’t think we would be far off.

lord bunberry
16-11-2019, 02:08 AM
I expect attacking entertaining football. He’s the manager of hibs and he will have one of the biggest budgets in the league. He needs to understand that we won’t accept dull grinding performances. Entertain us and he’s on to a winner.

CloudSquall
16-11-2019, 02:14 AM
A formation that suits the players that we have.

Attack minded football.

Half arsed performances to be swiftly dealt with.

Understanding of the derby.

Assist in fixing the connection between club and fans.

CMurdoch
16-11-2019, 02:23 AM
Hibs are already paying 23 1st team players plus Mackie out on loan.
I could see Ross being allowed to bring in 2 in January after assessing the current squad.
It has to be a couple of guys who can make a real difference.
More than that would see our squad getting towards Hearts type numbers and it all has to be paid for.

As we saw on Saturday we have some decent players when used according to their strengths.
It will be interesting to see how many of the summer signings can be salvaged.
Doidge and to a lesser extent Newell made a good start at Perth.

What will Ross make of Vela. He isn't rated by the fans but it is what Ross thinks of him that matters.

lord bunberry
16-11-2019, 03:02 AM
Hibs are already paying 23 1st team players plus Mackie out on loan.
I could see Ross being allowed to bring in 2 in January after assessing the current squad.
It has to be a couple of guys who can make a real difference.
More than that would see our squad getting towards Hearts type numbers and it all has to be paid for.

As we saw on Saturday we have some decent players when used according to their strengths.
It will be interesting to see how many of the summer signings can be salvaged.
Doidge and to a lesser extent Newell made a good start at Perth.

What will Ross make of Vela. He isn't rated by the fans but it is what Ross thinks of him that matters.

I think everyone gets a clean slate including Vela. I’ve yet to see it, but he must have something about him.

H18 SFR
16-11-2019, 03:09 AM
I can see some of Hecky's signings coming good. It's. Funny old game.

Captain Trips
16-11-2019, 03:21 AM
I expect him to do better than last manager.

Dr_Regal
16-11-2019, 03:24 AM
Would be in no rush to drop Slivka and Hallberg from the CM. Physically. dominated last weekend.

Agree about the clean slate for everyone

judas
16-11-2019, 06:46 AM
Attacking football
Be above Hearts
Win the derbies
Cup run
Top 6

BILLYHIBS
16-11-2019, 06:58 AM
Agree with all the posts on here

Important that he engages with the fans and embraces the culture of our great and famous football club and its tradition for playing fast exciting entertaining attacking football

If he employs the Hecky tactics of boring defensive cautious non penetrative safety first football holding out for a point and trying not to lose at all costs he may quickly lose the fans

Better to try and win a game in style than start off happy with a point. :greengrin

MacGruber
16-11-2019, 07:21 AM
Not sure what to expect, hoping he can build a great team spirit, organise them better than they have been, find a shape that works and get more out of each of them individually. Hopefully addresses the shortcomings in the squad January and gets a bit of steel and pace.

One worry is he'll prefer 1 up front again

el hibs
16-11-2019, 07:22 AM
Excellent thread. Optimistic and well thought out.

J-C
16-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Were not actually that far from 4th so that would be my aim plus do well in derbies, attacking attractive football is a must, any dour hoofball can GTF.

1van Sprou7e
16-11-2019, 08:07 AM
Attacking football
Be above Hearts
Win the derbies
Cup run
Top 6

Top 4, not 6

Golden Bear
16-11-2019, 08:17 AM
Climb the table and cement our place in the top 6 will do for starters and a good run in the Scottish Cup will be a bonus.

Adopt a style of attacking play not dissimilar to last weeks performance in Perth.

Forza Fred
16-11-2019, 08:22 AM
A more productive transfer window than last one

Win consistently at home.

Avoid defeat consistently away.

Sir David Gray
16-11-2019, 08:45 AM
Top 4 finishes, decent runs in the cups, consistently winning derbies, playing good attacking football that we can all get behind even if we don't always win and signing players with big personalities who the fans can identify with.

For the rest of this season, I'll settle for a top 6 finish, beating Hearts at least once and trying to get us playing an attacking style of football.

Lester B
16-11-2019, 08:47 AM
Not sure what to expect, hoping he can build a great team spirit, organise them better than they have been, find a shape that works and get more out of each of them individually. Hopefully addresses the shortcomings in the squad January and gets a bit of steel and pace.

One worry is he'll prefer 1 up front again

Well if he watches the video of last week's game he'll see he has the makings of a great striker partnership. However 1 up front isn't a problem in itself if it's played in the right way. Heckingbottom didn't use it correctly at all

Pretty Boy
16-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Wins and a top 6 finish this season with an indication of a style that he wants to play.

A fast start next season so that we don't end up in the same situation as this season with alarm bells, quite rightly, ringing after 1 or 2 competitive games. Most importantly a further indication and development of a decent style of football and more wins.

Scooter
16-11-2019, 09:39 AM
To be entertained. I think Heckingbottom would have been given more time had his football not been so boring

Topographic Hibby
16-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Holding on a lead would be a start. And everything else stated up-thread ^^^

Then we'll all be fine. :flag:

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2019, 09:42 AM
Wins against Stirling Albion and Morton. :greengrin I'd love him to put a team out that excites us again, and does not feel inadequate when they go on the park against the bigots.

I'd like us to attack teams with a bit of style and pace.

Just get us off our seats again excited at the way we play. :thumbsup:

Pagan Hibernia
16-11-2019, 09:48 AM
An attractive, distinctively Hibs style of play.
Give our youth a chance.
Top 5 finishes in the league. (Minimum 5th, top 4 should always be the aim)
Cup runs. We can win a trophy in the next 3 years.
Take the game to the old firm as Lennon’s teams did. We won’t always win but be fearless.
Smash Hearts at least twice a season.

I’m not asking for much :greengrin

hibsfan7
16-11-2019, 09:48 AM
a scottish cup win and 3rd in the league for starters

makaveli1875
16-11-2019, 09:49 AM
A high press and fitness levels weve never seen before

jacomo
16-11-2019, 10:48 AM
He’s spoken about how proud he is to get the job and that he wants the team to play with pride. Already he is giving me more confidence than Hecky ever did.

Self belief is very important in football but Hecky gave the impression that Hibs were lucky to have him.

Steve88
16-11-2019, 10:57 AM
What are we all expecting from Ross then in terms of style of play, recruitment, set up etc?

Personally I can see him trying to bring in a few familiar faces, Lewis Morgan being one. I also read an article where it was mentioned he is likes bringing in guys that have captained their club as he likes a lot of leaders on the park - something we’re screaming out for imo.

He also seems quite versatile in his approach, I can see him using a 352 with us, I appreciate the diamond worked last week however that was against a very poor St Johnstone team. Other teams may dominate us more in the middle of the park with that same midfield imo.

With Bogdan and Efe rumoured to be coming back could we see a set up of

..........................Maxwell/Bogdan...........

...........Efe/Jackson......Porto......Hanlon......

Boyle..................Mallan......Hallberg....... ......Stevenson

...............................Allan...........

..................Kamberi..........Doidge......

I have high expectations for him and think he will try to play good football as he knows it will win over large sections of fans and buy him more time.

Going by Dempster's latest interview I can also see him being backed in the January window, I think Ross and the recruitment team will have very similar ideas of personal they want in which should make the targets a lot easier and quicker to get in.

I don’t think we’re far off having a strong team, if we got Bogdan and Efe back in along with some quality like Morgan and a holding defensive midfielder I don’t think we would be far off.

Amazes me some people still haven't learned that Mallan cannot play the deep lying playmaker role.

3-5-2 is preferred but midfield is CRUCIAL for this to work. when we lost JM & DM Neil lennon struggled with this formation. Big plus of the 3-5-2 is you can have the attacking/defensive set up: with the wing backs being more naturally defensive (LS/DG) or being more attacking in nature (MB/DH)

EUROPA
TOP 4
Very good cup runs

Since452
16-11-2019, 11:03 AM
I think Dempster and Mathie would have said in no uncertain terms what is expected and Ross obviously shares the vision. Personally anything less than top 4 would have me feeling deflated.

Unseen work
16-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Amazes me some people still haven't learned that Mallan cannot play the deep lying playmaker role.

3-5-2 is preferred but midfield is CRUCIAL for this to work. when we lost JM & DM Neil lennon struggled with this formation. Big plus of the 3-5-2 is you can have the attacking/defensive set up: with the wing backs being more naturally defensive (LS/DG) or being more attacking in nature (MB/DH)

EUROPA
TOP 4
Very good cup runs

Who mentioned him playing a deep lying play maker role?

He was a huge part of St Mirren and their success under Ross so I can see him getting a game. Centre mid in a 352 puts a bit less pressure on him defensively aswell imo as there is the additional centre half and would have support in midfield with Hallberg and Stevenson.

Bishop Hibee
16-11-2019, 11:16 AM
I expect us to be up and down this season but get a top 6 place. Bottom 6 is failure.

MWHIBBIES
16-11-2019, 11:29 AM
He’s spoken about how proud he is to get the job and that he wants the team to play with pride. Already he is giving me more confidence than Hecky ever did.

Self belief is very important in football but Hecky gave the impression that Hibs were lucky to have him.

So you've already got more confidence than when Hecky won at Tynecastle?

Steve88
16-11-2019, 12:50 PM

He was a huge part of St Mirren and their success under Ross so I can see him getting a game. Centre mid in a 352 puts a bit less pressure on him defensively aswell imo as there is the additional centre half and would have support in midfield with Hallberg and Stevenson.

The formation you’ve posted there. Mallon has no defensive qualities. I understand the extra man in the back 3 but your defence really is your last line of defence - ideally you want your midfield to be breaking up play prior to that and Mallon isn’t capable of that. It’s tricky, he’s fantastic at the other
end of the pitch but we can’t have Allan and Mallon In the starting 11 together. My preference would be for a tough tackling ball winner

B.H.F.C
16-11-2019, 12:54 PM
Don’t expect him to win every game but expect him to have a proper go at winning every game.

Weegreenman
16-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Fast tempo attacking style at Easter Road. Sick of this slow passing across the back pish!

lucky
16-11-2019, 01:15 PM
I’m looking for attractive winning football, Regular Hampden appearances, minimum top 5 football but European football most seasons

number9dream
16-11-2019, 01:30 PM

EUROPA
TOP 4
Very good cup runs

Will be interesting to see what JR does with Mallan, who was a big player for him when St Mirren avoided relegation. His best position is 10 but that's Allan's spot and the latter is the better player. Is there room for them both in the same XI?
For me, it's tough if we stick with two up top.
Sounds like JR is a good motivator, so here's hoping he can quickly build on the confidence garnered from last weekend.
A 7-9 point haul from the next three fixtures and I think we can look forward with some optimism.

jacomo
16-11-2019, 01:36 PM
So you've already got more confidence than when Hecky won at Tynecastle?

I’m afraid to say that Hecky never convinced me that he had the right approach.

Even during those early results, his near constant references to ‘little bits and pieces of information’ he was imparting to the players made him sound like Ian Cathro.

I generally kept these concerns to myself because it doesn’t really matter what I thought - the important thing was whether he was getting through to the players.

And of course it turned out he wasn’t.

Steve88
16-11-2019, 01:49 PM
Will be interesting to see what JR does with Mallan, who was a big player for him when St Mirren avoided relegation. His best position is 10 but that's Allan's spot and the latter is the better player. Is there room for them both in the same XI?
For me, it's tough if we stick with two up top.
Sounds like JR is a good motivator, so here's hoping he can quickly build on the confidence garnered from last weekend.
A 7-9 point haul from the next three fixtures and I think we can look forward with some optimism.

I am concerned that JR prior experience with SM will make it difficult for him to make an objective & unbiased call on this, perhaps even falling into the trap that prior managers have tried to do by playing both in the same starting 11. My own opinion is we cannot have both on the pitch at the same time.

It's a tough call but I hope JR is strong enough and far enough removed from SM to see this problem and make a decision.

Interesting times ahead...

Cataplana
16-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Any Hibs manager should be qualifying for Europe or thereabouts every year, and making the group stages given a fair wind in the qualifiers. They should also achieve at least one Hampden appearance a season, on average.

Since452
16-11-2019, 02:41 PM
Any Hibs manager should be qualifying for Europe or thereabouts every year, and making the group stages given a fair wind in the qualifiers. They should also achieve at least one Hampden appearance a season, on average.

When did a team outside the OF last make the group stages? 😲 agree with the rest

Pretty Boy
16-11-2019, 02:47 PM
When did a team outside the OF last make the group stages? 😲 agree with the rest

Aberdeen under Jimmy Calderwood. Sure they actually progressed through the group stages as well albeit it was a totally different set up in the EL in those days.

Paisley Hibby
16-11-2019, 02:56 PM
A formation that suits the players that we have.

Attack minded football.

Half arsed performances to be swiftly dealt with.

Understanding of the derby.

Assist in fixing the connection between club and fans.

Gets my vote 👍

Cataplana
16-11-2019, 02:59 PM

I put it down to collective lack of ambition. Leagues like Belgium and Portugal manage it regularly.

Are the likes of Braga any bigger a team than Hibs?

We should be saying "this is where the club needs to be", aiming too low means we end up in a mess when we miss our targets.

B.H.F.C
16-11-2019, 03:02 PM
I put it down to collective lack of ambition. Leagues like Belgium and Portugal manage it regularly.

Are the likes of Braga any bigger a team than Hibs?

We should be saying "this is where the club needs to be", aiming too low means we end up in a mess when we miss our targets.

I wouldn’t say it’s where we ‘should’ be or anything like that.

But I do agree with the general point. There are regularly teams in the Europa League group stages who have much smaller budgets than teams like us, Hearts and Aberdeen.

calumhibee1
16-11-2019, 03:03 PM
Top 6 and at least the last 8 of the Scottish (draw permitting). Hopefully good football aswell and a couple decent signings in January - whether that’s something to expect from Ross or something to expect from the recruitment team though I’m not really sure.

Garymcl
16-11-2019, 03:07 PM
It’s simple decent attack minded football first and foremost hopefully good results mainly at home

04Sauzee
16-11-2019, 03:13 PM
Wouldn't mind having this boy back on loan if he can stay fit

https://youtu.be/glzSCkqYT3g

Sir David Gray
16-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Aberdeen under Jimmy Calderwood. Sure they actually progressed through the group stages as well albeit it was a totally different set up in the EL in those days.

They did in 07/08.

The format back then saw them win a first round tie against Dnipro then they qualified for the last 16 after finishing 3rd in a group against Atletico Madrid, Panathinaikos, Copenhagen and Lokomotiv Moscow. They then went out to Bayern Munich in the last 32 after drawing the first leg at Pittodrie they then lost 5-1 in Germany.

Captain Trips
16-11-2019, 04:12 PM
Due to the damage PH has done this is the only time I will find the term top 6 acceptable. Top 6 is a target of failure and should be default on the quest for a Euro spot.

Unfortunately we are 10 to 12 pts away from this area so we will need to put on a run. So for this season I will accept finishing in top 6.

I want us to set up vs Of with intent to take them on not cower away and allow an onslaught of chances and it be lucky if they miss most of them.

I still think some of PH signings might be good.

AgentDaleCooper
16-11-2019, 04:38 PM
IMO, the most important thing is that he does well enough to maintain the current interest and season ticket numbers - in the long run, that is going to be most crucial to our future success.

overdrive
16-11-2019, 06:05 PM
Reasonably attractive, attacking football. Don’t be so negative against the Old Firm. Not to come out with arsey comments about the fans.

Jim44
16-11-2019, 06:26 PM
To get back to my old mindset :

Expect to win but hope not to lose, and not, expect to lose but hope to win.

judas
16-11-2019, 06:36 PM
Top 4, not 6

I’ll trade you, home wins in the Derby and draws away for top 5 finish?!?

Hibee Mac
16-11-2019, 06:57 PM

Mallan is an absolute liability. It's no surprise that the second we finally drop him we have our best result in ages and have a foothold in the midfield for once.

I just don't get what others see in him to the extent that they would want him to come straight back into the team? I also understood that Mallan was only at St Mirren when they were rock bottom of the table and then for the second half of that season when Jack Ross came in and salvaged the season. Hardly something to be proud of from Mallan's side of things?...

bigwheel
16-11-2019, 07:05 PM
Mallan is an absolute liability. It's no surprise that the second we finally drop him we have our best result in ages and have a foothold in the midfield for once.

I just don't get what others see in him to the extent that they would want him to come straight back into the team? I also understood that Mallan was only at St Mirren when they were rock bottom of the table and then for the second half of that season when Jack Ross came in and salvaged the season. Hardly something to be proud of from Mallan's side of things?...

Top scorer last season for us - probably still top scorer this season ...

Just because he isn’t the best ball winner we have , doesn’t make him a “liability “...

04Sauzee
16-11-2019, 07:12 PM
Top scorer last season for us - probably still top scorer this season ...

Just because he isn’t the best ball winner we have , doesn’t make him a “liability “...

Your pissing it to the wind some people will never like last seasons players player of the year

bigwheel
16-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Your pissing it to the wind some people will never like last seasons players player of the year

Truth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hibee Mac
16-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Be top scorer all you want, if it's at the expense of the entire team then no thanks. Last season widely regarded as a failure salvaged at the very end, this season an abject failure so far. Hardly a team to be proud of being top scorer in.

bigwheel
16-11-2019, 08:19 PM
Be top scorer all you want, if it's at the expense of the entire team then no thanks. Last season widely regarded as a failure salvaged at the very end, this season an abject failure so far. Hardly a team to be proud of being top scorer in.

Top scorer “at the expense of the entire team....”.

Eyrie
16-11-2019, 10:04 PM
Mallan is a good player when played in his correct position.

However we have Allan, who does that role far better, and we've seen repeatedly that playing them together weakens the team.

Hibee Mac
16-11-2019, 11:19 PM
Top scorer “at the expense of the entire team....”.

I don't see why it's such a daft concept to have a top scorer who also drags the team down to a poorer overall level. Top scorer of a crap team is not something to give praise for if you ask me, especially if the top scorer plays a large role in why the team is playing poorly.

bigwheel
16-11-2019, 11:43 PM
I don't see why it's such a daft concept to have a top scorer who also drags the team down to a poorer overall level. Top scorer of a crap team is not something to give praise for if you ask me, especially if the top scorer plays a large role in why the team is playing poorly.

you feel Mallan, who was responsible for winning most of our points, was a large negative last season ..

Do you feel that is a balanced opinion?

Glory Lurker
16-11-2019, 11:49 PM
Castle Rock. Free Castle Rock for everyone at home games. Love that stuff.

makaveli1875
17-11-2019, 05:46 AM

Yeah man those goals he scored really held the team back, if he hadn't scored so many we'd probably have won the league

Saint Hibee
17-11-2019, 07:20 AM
All I want is a team playing positive, attacking football.

Hibee Mac
17-11-2019, 08:20 AM
you feel Mallan, who was responsible for winning most of our points, was a large negative last season ..

Do you feel that is a balanced opinion?

Well now you're just making stuff up, Mallan was not responsible for most of our points. If I had the time I'd check the stats, I'd be willing to bet his goals were not responsible for most of our points.

That being said, I could say with some certainty that his overall poor play and half-hearted jogging around played a role in us barely scraping 5th last year and languishing in the bottom half this season.

Without this going on forever, my original point is that he's been poor, then he gets dropped and our midfield is the best it has been all season. Then when people are asked what is our best team, some decide that he deserves to waltz right back in. That surprises me as I think we are a better team when he's not in it.

bigwheel
17-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Well now you're just making stuff up, Mallan was not responsible for most of our points. If I had the time I'd check the stats, I'd be willing to bet his goals were not responsible for most of our points.

That being said, I could say with some certainty that his overall poor play and half-hearted jogging around played a role in us barely scraping 5th last year and languishing in the bottom half this season.

Without this going on forever, my original point is that he's been poor, then he gets dropped and our midfield is the best it has been all season. Then when people are asked what is our best team, some decide that he deserves to waltz right back in. That surprises me as I think we are a better team when he's not in it.

His circa 20 goals were without doubt the reason for most of our points last season ..

I don’t disagree that it’s hard to fit both Allan and Mallan in the team at the same time . And that he is not strong at winning the ball back

But you seem to completely ignore the positive he does bring to the team, and only focus on his weaknesses...my simple point is that is unfair and lacks balance

04Sauzee
17-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Just spoken to 2 big Dunfermline fans, one of them runs a box soccer franchise and knows Potter well. They both say he is an excellent coach and a really great guy to have around the players. Hopefully they know what they are talking about.

1875Hibees
17-11-2019, 08:56 AM
His circa 20 goals were without doubt the reason for most of our points last season ..

I don’t disagree that it’s hard to fit both Allan and Mallan in the team at the same time . And that he is not strong at winning the ball back

But you seem to completely ignore the positive he does bring to the team, and only focus on his weaknesses...my simple point is that is unfair and lacks balance
People who judge players purely by stats normally arent very good at telling who is a good player and who isnt. Sadly Mallan isnt. Scores the occasional screamer 1 in about 8-10 games and does not much else. Very poor defensively, slow and isnt great with the ball at his feet either. Also a player who cant put his foot on the ball and dictate a game. Like I said aside from a few goals here and there he barely contributes anything at all. A player with a strike that he has, wouldent be playing at this level if he had shown any ability to do anything else. No-one even knows his proper position. Liability at CM, obviously not a CDM and dosent have the vision/positional sense/dribbling for the CAM position. Should not be at Hibs.

we are hibs
17-11-2019, 09:12 AM
We are a far better team without Mallan.

Todi114
17-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Surely there is a formation that would fit Mallan and Allan
Mallan has been played out of position to accommodate other players
Hecky should have played one or the other if he wasn’t willing to change his formation
A failure to sign players to fit his system was his downfall
Stevie Mallan was not the reason for Hibs poor results

Hibee Mac
17-11-2019, 09:34 AM

Circa 20 goals??

Where you getting that from? Last time I checked he scored 6 league goals last season and 2 in the domestic cups against clubs in a lower league.

In what world is that circa 20 league goals which were the reason for most of our points?

I think your view of his goals scored lacks balance 😉

04Sauzee
17-11-2019, 09:49 AM
Circa 20 goals??

Where you getting that from? Last time I checked he scored 6 league goals last season and 2 in the domestic cups against clubs in a lower league.

In what world is that circa 20 league goals which were the reason for most of our points?

I think your view of his goals scored lacks balance 😉

To be fair you would also be wrong
You don't like him we get it.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stevie-mallan/leistungsdaten/spieler/331089/plus/0?saison=2018

bigwheel
17-11-2019, 10:01 AM
People who judge players purely by stats normally arent very good at telling who is a good player and who isnt. Sadly Mallan isnt. Scores the occasional screamer 1 in about 8-10 games and does not much else. Very poor defensively, slow and isnt great with the ball at his feet either. Also a player who cant put his foot on the ball and dictate a game. Like I said aside from a few goals here and there he barely contributes anything at all. A player with a strike that he has, wouldent be playing at this level if he had shown any ability to do anything else. No-one even knows his proper position. Liability at CM, obviously not a CDM and dosent have the vision/positional sense/dribbling for the CAM position. Should not be at Hibs.

I love these “people who judge by stats” posts that then immediately quote stats....

your post hoping it will be off higher quality analysis then uses terms like “liability “ and “should not be at Hibs “. Made me chuckle

The reality is that Mallan is a “nearly player”. He has attributes that many top top quality players would admire..lethal wand of a foot. Can contribute goals and passes that most pros can only dream
Off. The areas he lacks are there for everyone to see. If he had the work rate of a McGinn and the defensive qualities of a Bartley , he would t be a top top player. Would win 50 plus caps if he kept himself fit . Yet he isn’t, he doesn’t have those defensive ethics in his game - although he is clearly trying to work in them.

Your post only focusses on what he doesn’t have ..I recognise those ..what dogmatic critics like you don’t recognise is the attributes he does have are almost uncoachable . To suggest he can’t make a contribution when he was top scorer and POY last year lacks objectivity

bigwheel
17-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Circa 20 goals??

I think your view of his goals scored lacks balance [emoji6]

Hahaha. It does indeed. Was around 12-q3 when I just checked. Can I had his 11 assists? :-)

Anyway. Have answered in a few posts my views on Mallan - has lots missing and lots to offer ...if he had it all, he would be playing in a top team ..

His contributions last year show he has a lot to offer our squad . Will be interesting to see how he fares with the new manager ..

Greenworld
17-11-2019, 10:08 AM
I love these “people who judge by stats” posts that then immediately quote stats....

your post hoping it will be off higher quality analysis then uses terms like “liability “ and “should not be at Hibs “. Made me chuckle

The reality is that Mallan is a “nearly player”. He has attributes that many top top quality players would admire..lethal wand of a foot. Can contribute goals and passes that most pros can only dream
Off. The areas he lacks are there for everyone to see. If he had the work rate of a McGinn and the defensive qualities of a Bartley , he would t be a top top player. Would win 50 plus caps if he kept himself fit . Yet he isn’t, he doesn’t have those defensive ethics in his game - although he is clearly trying to work in them.

Your post only focusses on what he doesn’t have ..I recognise those ..what dogmatic critics like you don’t recognise is the attributes he does have are almost uncoachable . To suggest he can’t make a comment tribute on when he was top scorer and POY last year lacks objectivityThat for me is a great assessment of Mallan.I like the guy and I think the rest of this season will be huge for him. Can he up his overall work rate get stronger and become the player that I think is in their. It is up to him to put in the work in the gym build his strength and speed he can do it .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hibee Mac
17-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Hahaha. It does indeed. Was around 12-q3 when I just checked. Can I had his 11 assists? :-)

Anyway. Have answered in a few posts my views on Mallan - has lots missing and lots to offer ...if he had it all, he would be playing in a top team ..

His contributions last year show he has a lot to offer our squad . Will be interesting to see how he fares with the new manager ..

Haha I'll give you those assists, to be fair I agree with that post completely. Mean no offence by my posts btw, maybe I just want every player to be a John McGinn!

Hibee Mac
17-11-2019, 10:22 AM
To be fair you would also be wrong
You don't like him we get it.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stevie-mallan/leistungsdaten/spieler/331089/plus/0?saison=2018

To be honest, I'm hardly just slating him or saying I don't like him. I'm giving my opinion and trying to back it up having a discussion with another poster, that's what this forum is all about surely

MWHIBBIES
17-11-2019, 10:39 AM
mcgeouch never scored and he was 10x the player Mallan is. He just doesn't offer much, he's been absolutely awful this season

BoomtownHibees
17-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Castle Rock. Free Castle Rock for everyone at home games. Love that stuff.

I think his castle rock has got him in to a bit of bother in the past

B.H.F.C
17-11-2019, 10:45 AM
mcgeouch never scored and he was 10x the player Mallan is. He just doesn't offer much, he's been absolutely awful this season

McGeough wouldn’t offer much of you played him as a number 10, just as Mallan doesn’t offer much in a deeper position.

We now have Allan who I’d always play ahead of Mallan but he’s never played consistently in a position that actually allows him to do what he’s good at.

ABZHFC
17-11-2019, 10:48 AM
I want an attacking style of football that respects our club's prestigious history attached to it, we did teach the 1970s Brazil side how to play, after all!

1875Hibees
17-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Your post only focusses on what he doesn’t have ..I recognise those ..what dogmatic critics like you don’t recognise is the attributes he does have are almost uncoachable . To suggest he can’t make a comment tribute on when he was top scorer and POY last year lacks objectivity
Where about in my post did I post stats? The only numbers I posted was to show my point that the occasional goal dosent make him a player. You also missed me mentioning that yes, he does have a brilliant strike on him. That dosent mean he isnt invisible for most of the game. Its one thing not having defensive qualities, its another just not making an effort. Players glide past him like he isnt there. Thats not acceptable for any CM. Thats part of playing that position. You cant not make an effort when not in posession. If he was playing further forward then yes. But I have said my thoughts on his ability to play there. Would love to see some of these passes you mention. If he was spraying the ball about bringing players into the game, feeding through balls to players making runs, taking defenders out of the game with passes, like Scott Allan does, then he would be seeing the ball all the time. How many games does he just not show up? So many times you can forget he is even on the pitch. Thats not acceptable for any player, never mind a CM. Like I said, he has an immense strike on him. Like Premier League in England level, but he has nothing else, at all. Someone with that kind of striking ability would not be playing at this level if he had shown anything else.

MWHIBBIES
17-11-2019, 11:16 AM
McGeough wouldn’t offer much of you played him as a number 10, just as Mallan doesn’t offer much in a deeper position.

We now have Allan who I’d always play ahead of Mallan but he’s never played consistently in a position that actually allows him to do what he’s good at.

That's the difference, Mcgeouch was second choice to no one in his position. He offers significantly more than Mallan would, even on his best day.

B.H.F.C
17-11-2019, 11:26 AM
That's the difference, Mcgeouch was second choice to no one in his position. He offers significantly more than Mallan would, even on his best day.

He offers significantly more, playing where he should. Not where he shouldn’t. You won’t find me denying Mallan has been largely pish this season. I just don’t get why we shelled out a significant fee for a player to generally play him in positions where he is going to be ineffective.

MWHIBBIES
17-11-2019, 11:50 AM
He offers significantly more, playing where he should. Not where he shouldn’t. You won’t find me denying Mallan has been largely pish this season. I just don’t get why we shelled out a significant fee for a player to generally play him in positions where he is going to be ineffective.

Because he isn't the best player at the club in his supposed best position? I don't even see him being very effective as an attacking midfielder, isn't quick enough, cant beat players, doesn't play defence splitting passes and cant drive with the ball. All vital things for attacking mids.

B.H.F.C
17-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Because he isn't the best player at the club in his supposed best position? I don't even see him being very effective as an attacking midfielder, isn't quick enough, cant beat players, doesn't play defence splitting passes and cant drive with the ball. All vital things for attacking mids.

He does plenty good things from attacking positions when he is allowed to play in the final third.

I’ve already said I’d play Scott Allan in front of him any day of the week. Stand by my point that asking Mallan to play on the right wing or as a holding midfielder isn’t going to get the best from him. Just as playing Allan in the right wing didn’t work.

Hibernia&Alba
17-11-2019, 12:48 PM
A discernable style play along with some entertainment, and to climb the table. I expect a top six finish and then build from there.

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2019, 06:38 PM
We all agree we have been pish most of this season, and nobody has stood out for us. Mallan or Allan for me is the question, and i feel we can't play both.

Allan would be my choice, and he has started to contribute goals too, along with his better all round ability IMO.

Greencore
17-11-2019, 09:43 PM
Anything less then a top six finish is a failure IMO. Oh and finish above the mutants from the other side of the city.

Since452
17-11-2019, 09:56 PM
Anything less then a top six finish is a failure IMO. Oh and finish above the mutants from the other side of the city.

The last part is a certainty

Bangkok Hibby
18-11-2019, 10:15 AM
A rapid run up the league table. Finish above Aberdeen. I haven't been this excited and optimistic since the last time I was this excited and optimistic 😂😂😂
Seriously though, a few years of stability and gradual improvement under Jack Ross and RG

Keith_M
18-11-2019, 10:27 AM
Make the most of the players he has at his disposal and not try to force them into roles they're not suitable for.

No micro-management, i.e. let the players be creative.

Don't instill a negative mindset, like trying to defend a lead with 11 players in defence. The best form of defence is attack.

Don't wear trackie bottoms at the game.

Hibee Mac
18-11-2019, 10:45 AM
I want the performances to improve consistently playing exciting football, particularly at home.

Match that with a a few consecutive successful transfer windows an we'll be on the right track.

I'm particularly interested to see where he sees the current weaknesses in our squad as being, all of us have opinions on this and it's interesting to see how the manager's match up.

JXM73
18-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Concentrate on beating motherwell....

overdrive
18-11-2019, 11:31 AM
I expect him to win the league and solve world hunger. I swear I’ll do time if he only gets top 4.

Unseen work
18-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Massive first game for him. If he wins that he will have a lot of fans on board early doors and everyone will gain confidence from it

Keith_M
18-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Nah, let's set a target of 'absolutely have to win the next three games'.

That always works out well.