PDA

View Full Version : Robert Enke

Pretty Boy
13-11-2019, 11:45 AM
It's 10 years this week since German goalkeeper Robert Enke took his own life. The below article doesn't really need much added to it, it's a sobering read:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50377937

It's worth remembering that suicide is the biggest killer in men under 45 and over 75% of UK suicides are male. As a site with a predominantly male readership, although it goes without saying this applies to anyone, it's always worth pointing out that there is help out there and people willing to listen. Having problems with mental health is no more a sign of weakness than having a problem with your physical health.

JoeT_WasTheBest
13-11-2019, 12:01 PM
It's 10 years this week since German goalkeeper Robert Enke took his own life. The below article doesn't really need much added to it, it's a sobering read:

It's worth remembering that suicide is the biggest killer in men under 45 and over 75% of UK suicides are male. As a site with a predominantly male readership, although it goes without saying this applies to anyone, it's always worth pointing out that there is help out there and people willing to listen. Having problems with mental health is no more a sign of weakness than having a problem with your physical health.

:agree:with all of that. I read the book about him, really heartbreaking.

snedzuk
13-11-2019, 12:17 PM

Thanks for posting.

The 90+2
13-11-2019, 12:21 PM
Top post PB.

Keith_M
13-11-2019, 12:28 PM
Excellent post, PB, for what can be a quite difficult subject.

Fergos
13-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Excellent post PB.

Absolutely concur that there is help for those who need it, never be afraid to reach out for it.

GGTTH

Moody Blues
13-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Excellent post PB.

Absolutely concur that there is help for those who need it, never be afraid to reach out for it.

GGTTH

Unfortunately it is not the case that help is available for those who need it.

CMurdoch
13-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Well done PB. A friend of mine took his own life 6 years ago and it still hurts to think about it and probably always will.
It's important that we all continue to make every effort to normalise seeking help to improve our mental health.

Hibs Community Foundation run a mental health initiative called The Changing Room within the West Stand.
A podcast was posted on here recently and one of the contributors said he used the service and recommended it.
It didn't sound anything heavy just a place for Hibees to shoot the breeze about football and discuss their mental health whilst in an environment they love at Easter Road.
Incidentally the contributor on the podcast was very open about his mental health problems and came across as gutsy and ballsy rather than weak.

Fergos
13-11-2019, 03:02 PM
Unfortunately it is not the case that help is available for those who need it.

My comment was made based on my own understanding of what is out there, not the kind of thread that I want to debate on really.

GGTTH

neil7908
13-11-2019, 03:20 PM
I'd highly recommend reading the book by Ronald Reng mentioned in the article for anyone that wants to learn more about his life and get a better understanding of depression. A really moving and eye opening read.

Sergio sledge
13-11-2019, 03:58 PM
I'd highly recommend reading the book by Ronald Reng mentioned in the article for anyone that wants to learn more about his life and get a better understanding of depression. A really moving and eye opening read.

Totally agree, the book is incredibly moving and really opened up my eyes to depression and made a huge difference to my understanding of depression and how it affects people.

Yuillsy
13-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Well done PB. A friend of mine took his own life 6 years ago and it still hurts to think about it and probably always will.
It's important that we all continue to make every effort to normalise seeking help to improve our mental health.

Hibs Community Foundation run a mental health initiative called The Changing Room within the West Stand.
A podcast was posted on here recently and one of the contributors said he used the service and recommended it.
It didn't sound anything heavy just a place for Hibees to shoot the breeze about football and discuss their mental health whilst in an environment they love at Easter Road.
Incidentally the contributor on the podcast was very open about his mental health problems and came across as gutsy and ballsy rather than weak.I've done the 12 week course with The Changing Room and try and attend as many of the fortnightly drop in sessions as possible.

It's actually run by SamH and is funded by Movember. SamH have just applied for more funding so hopefully that gets approved as it's a really worthwhile course and can help you deal with mental health problems. They've also extended it and run a course at Tynecastle.

If anyone has any issues or just need to blow off some steam I'd highly recommend attending.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk