PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy?

Pages : [1] 2

IngolstadtHarry
11-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Just saw this - sorry if someone has already posted it.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50366019

makaveli1875
11-11-2019, 10:42 AM
Lennon says he's going nowhere

number9dream
11-11-2019, 10:51 AM
Maybe a good coach with experience working under Strachan, Rodgers and now Lennon, but I'm not sure he's got the personality to lead a team.

IngolstadtHarry
11-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Ah, the blood contract?
Well, we can strike Kennedy off the list, then.

Jim44
11-11-2019, 10:55 AM

.......... and no doubt will use personal opinions and anecdotes to persuade Kennedy to drop any interest in the job, assuming there’s an element of truth in the story.

WestCoastHibby
11-11-2019, 11:11 AM
Great experience as a player and a coach in a league that he totally understands. Plus he’s got the all important European experience on his CV too. Mowbray was a left field appointment that worked
I’m not saying he’s my choice but he’s definitely worthy of consideration

Northernhibee
11-11-2019, 11:27 AM

It's none of his business what Kennedy wants to do or not or who or who we do not speak to.

MrSmith
11-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Great experience as a player and a coach in a league that he totally understands. Plus he’s got the all important European experience on his CV too. Mowbray was a left field appointment that worked
I’m not saying he’s my choice but he’s definitely worthy of consideration

Kennedy is for me, the most sensible and exciting prospect so far. I'd feel much more confident with him at the helm.

Groathillgrump
11-11-2019, 11:35 AM
I would guess that Kennedy is being groomed to eventually take over from Lennon so doubt he'll be going anywhere.

Argylehibby
11-11-2019, 11:42 AM
I would guess that Kennedy is being groomed to eventually take over from Lennon so doubt he'll be going anywhere.

or they let him go to Hibs and see if he's got what it takes then bring him back when Lennon's gone?

Sammy7nil
11-11-2019, 11:49 AM

I would doubt that it is a very big job for your first attempt. More likely they would like him to stay to support future coaches and managers.

Steve20
11-11-2019, 12:10 PM
Is there anything to suggest he'd be any good? Hibs shouldn't be a place for managers who want to be Celtic manager use to get there. Would there be anyone mentioning him if he was a coach at Rangers? Really need to cut out this 'love-in' some folk have with Celtic on the Hibs forums.

Would be an awful choice for manager.

MWHIBBIES
11-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Is there anything to suggest he'd be any good? Hibs shouldn't be a place for managers who want to be Celtic manager use to get there. Would there be anyone mentioning him if he was a coach at Rangers? Really need to cut out this 'love-in' some folk have with Celtic on the Hibs forums.

I agree. Kennedy might be a decent coach but so was Ian Cathro. I really dont want more Celtic nonsense in press conferences etc. If someone is coming to be Hibs manager I want it to be someone who really really wants to be Hibs manager and this is their dream job.

WeeRussell
11-11-2019, 12:15 PM

If he was linked with the job then probably, yes. People really need to cut-out this "love-in" talk anytime someone connected to Celtic is mentioned.

On your second line, I keep seeing people coming out with these bold and definite statements on a number of potential managers. How do you know it would be an "awful choice"?

04Sauzee
11-11-2019, 12:29 PM

Why would he be an awful choice for manger? you ask if there is anything to suggest he'd be any good? what is there to suggest he would be awful?

NC1875
11-11-2019, 12:42 PM
Anyone take Kennedy with Strachan in a more upstairs role ? Did Leeann not say recently the managerial change gives us the chance to do something different. Ie a coach and director of football say.

Not sure where that would leave Mathie right enough.

Barman Stanton
11-11-2019, 12:43 PM

Why would he be awful? Is it much different from Stubbs or Mowbray?

badabing67
11-11-2019, 12:43 PM
It's none of his business what Kennedy wants to do or not or who or who we do not speak to.

Exactly and if Kennedy did come Lennon can always turn to Parker

JXM73
11-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Appointing a manager who is currently out of a job failed at what they do, an up and coming coach might well work... it is after all a head coach we're employing... we'll not be challenging celtic anytime soon, outwith cups, so why not use their expertise and experience...if that's a love in so be it.... we will be a stepping stone for players n managers alike, its only us fans that stay...

MB62
11-11-2019, 12:48 PM
I agree. Kennedy might be a decent coach but so was Ian Cathro. I really dont want more Celtic nonsense in press conferences etc. If someone is coming to be Hibs manager I want it to be someone who really really wants to be Hibs manager and this is their dream job.

So it's Yogi again, or Kano?

People need to realise that clubs like Hibs, hearts, Aberdeen etc have a normal managerial expectancy of about 5 years maximum. In that time, they have either made a complete arse of things and will have been given their jotters, or have made a success of it and will be headhunted by club down south. There will be the odd one who maybe has family ties in Scotland and doesn't want to move for those reasons and will maybe be a bit more fussy on the job offers that come in for him. You might also be at a club who are happy just to be mid table, fighting for the top 6 each season, e,g, St Johnstone, good enough for that particular club but not good enough to raise eyebrows of managerless clubs in engerlund.

I have no opinion on Kennedy in particular, just saying if he (or anybody similar) was a success with Hibs then it would be good for us and it wouldn't be too long before he would be on his way somewhere, ala Stubbs. We may well be a big club in Scotland, but on the financial front, we are nobodies compared to what is on offer down south.

MWHIBBIES
11-11-2019, 12:53 PM
So it's Yogi again, or Kano?

People need to realise that clubs like Hibs, hearts, Aberdeen etc have a normal managerial expectancy of about 5 years maximum. In that time, they have either made a complete arse of things and will have been given their jotters, or have made a success of it and will be headhunted by club down south. There will be the odd one who maybe has family ties in Scotland and doesn't want to move for those reasons and will maybe be a bit more fussy on the job offers that come in for him. You might also be at a club who are happy just to be mid table, fighting for the top 6 each season, e,g, St Johnstone, good enough for that particular club but not good enough to raise eyebrows of managerless clubs in engerlund.

I have no opinion on Kennedy in particular, just saying if he (or anybody similar) was a success with Hibs then it would be good for us and it wouldn't be too long before he would be on his way somewhere, ala Stubbs. We may well be a big club in Scotland, but on the financial front, we are nobodies compared to what is on offer down south.

No, they don't have to be a Hibby. I want someone who recognises the size of the club and the potential it has. Not someone who is already planning their next move.

superfurryhibby
11-11-2019, 01:19 PM
No, they don't have to be a Hibby. I want someone who recognises the size of the club and the potential it has. Not someone who is already planning their next move.

You have no idea what Kennedy thinks about the3 size of Hibs or what his next move might be.

Like a few others, I don't know that much about Kennedy, what kind of personality he is, but he has credentials that might suit our club.

Coaching career.

After retiring as a player, Kennedy became a first team scout for Celtic in 2010, working in this capacity for the club until 2011, travelling around Europe to help find new players for the club.

Kennedy gained coaching qualifications and worked as a coach with the club's U19 squad in season 2011-12, and the Development Squad (reserve team) from 2012 to 2014. He lead the Celtic youth team to a league an cup double in 2011–12 and 2012–13 and a third straight title in 2013–14. Kennedy also oversaw the Under-19 team compete in the NextGen Series in 2011–12, a pan-European competition for youth teams.[52]
He became first team coach in 2014 after the appointment of Ronny Deila as manager,[54][55] winning the Scottish league championship in each of Deila's two seasons in charge, as well as the Scottish League Cup in 2014–15.[56] He continued in the role under Brendan Rodgers from 2016, and Celtic won domestic trebles in both 2016–17 and 2017–18.[57] In February 2019, Kennedy was promoted to assistant manager when Neil Lennon replaced Rodgers as manager.

KeithTheHibby
11-11-2019, 01:26 PM

If Kennedy states that he would like to talk to Hibs then I seriously doubt there is anything Lennon or Celtic would do to stand in his way.

LancsHibs
11-11-2019, 01:30 PM
Honestly have no idea who he is?:confused:

superfurryhibby
11-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Honestly have no idea who he is?:confused:

Read two posts before you posted :wink:

ekhibee
11-11-2019, 01:36 PM
You have no idea what Kennedy thinks about the3 size of Hibs or what his next move might be.

Like a few others, I don't know that much about Kennedy, what kind of personality he is, but he has credentials that might suit our club.

Coaching career.

After retiring as a player, Kennedy became a first team scout for Celtic in 2010, working in this capacity for the club until 2011, travelling around Europe to help find new players for the club.

Kennedy gained coaching qualifications and worked as a coach with the club's U19 squad in season 2011-12, and the Development Squad (reserve team) from 2012 to 2014. He lead the Celtic youth team to a league an cup double in 2011–12 and 2012–13 and a third straight title in 2013–14. Kennedy also oversaw the Under-19 team compete in the NextGen Series in 2011–12, a pan-European competition for youth teams.[52]
He became first team coach in 2014 after the appointment of Ronny Deila as manager,[54][55] winning the Scottish league championship in each of Deila's two seasons in charge, as well as the Scottish League Cup in 2014–15.[56] He continued in the role under Brendan Rodgers from 2016, and Celtic won domestic trebles in both 2016–17 and 2017–18.[57] In February 2019, Kennedy was promoted to assistant manager when Neil Lennon replaced Rodgers as manager.
This.

Todi114
11-11-2019, 01:38 PM
We should be developing our own coaches
David Gray Darren McGregor Steven Whittaker should be on the payroll
gaining their coaching badges
visiting top clubs and coaches
creating a seamless transition when someone leaves

lyonhibs
11-11-2019, 01:46 PM
I would doubt that it is a very big job for your first attempt. More likely they would like him to stay to support future coaches and managers.

Remind me what Lennon's 1st managerial role was again? :greengrin

I've no idea whether he's got what it takes to be the 1st team manager and thus figurehead of the good ship Hibernian. Personally I'd prefer us to broaden our horizons and look beyond these shores, or at least from the proverbial "left field" for our next manager purely for some new ideas/different POV that would hopefully be brought in by an outsider.

Quite happy to wait and see - a well timed (for a change) international break gives us a little bit of breathing space.

The 90+2
11-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Ah, the blood contract?

😂😂

Since452
11-11-2019, 02:04 PM
We should be developing our own coaches
David Gray Darren McGregor Steven Whittaker should be on the payroll
gaining their coaching badges
visiting top clubs and coaches
creating a seamless transition when someone leaves

I agree with this. St Johnstone have worked that way for years with the exception of Steve Lomas and they've been punching well above their weight for well over a decade, European football and even winning a Scottish Cup!

Coyle - promoted
McInness - promoted
Lomas - brought in
Wright - promoted

Add in Callum Davidson who became a really good coach.

You'd expect Alec Cleland or Alan Maybury to be promoted to manager once Wright leaves. They've got it spot on.

I know St Johnstone work to a tiny budget so suits them to promote but it breeds continuity throughout the club without any major upheaval when someone moves on. Certainly worked for them.

jacomo
11-11-2019, 02:11 PM

Apart from maybe their ‘feeder’ club to gain experience.

Kennedy will always be Celtc-minded. I’d like someone who is fully committed to our cause.

Groathillgrump
11-11-2019, 03:55 PM

Kennedy will always be Celtc-minded. I’d like someone who is fully committed to our cause.

I still stand by my earlier comment, jacamo. As you say, Kennedy is very Celtic-minded and has worked his way up the ladder at Celtic from U19 coach to become assistant manager. The lesser greens have invested heavily in him over the years and I just think it has all the hallmarks of succession planning for when Lennon eventually leaves. I would put money on him being their next gaffer.

greenlex
11-11-2019, 04:03 PM
I agree with this. St Johnstone have worked that way for years with the exception of Steve Lomas and they've been punching well above their weight for well over a decade, European football and even winning a Scottish Cup!

Coyle - promoted
McInness - promoted
Lomas - brought in
Wright - promoted

You'd expect Alec Cleland or Alan Maybury to be promoted to manager once Wright leaves. They've got it spot on.

I know St Johnstone work to a tiny budget so suits them to promote but it breeds continuity throughout the club without any major upheaval when someone moves on. Certainly worked for them.
The really successful Liverpool sides were built round this. They did it for years

superfurryhibby
11-11-2019, 04:05 PM

Can he not be Celtic minded and committed to managing Hibs? Most professional players or coaches are able to put aside their loyalties when it comes to their career progression.

I still stand by my earlier comment, jacamo. As you say, Kennedy is very Celtic-minded and has worked his way up the ladder at Celtic from U19 coach to become assistant manager. The lesser greens have invested heavily in him over the years and I just think it has all the hallmarks of succession planning for when Lennon eventually leaves. I would put money on him being their next gaffer.

Possibly, but several Celtic managers have come and gone since Kennedy was appointed 1st team coach. Given the average lifespan in the job, someone in for only the next couple of years is par for the course. |I'll take a managerial success at Hibs for a few years anytime.

Even if the likes of Gray or MacGregor ever made it to that position, I would guess they too would be offski if success brought opportunity?

WeeRussell
11-11-2019, 04:09 PM
I'm just not seeing how Kennedy will be any less committed or grateful for the Hibs opportunity than any of the other managers we've recruited over the last few years (successful or otherwise).

ancient hibee
11-11-2019, 04:18 PM
I think Kennedy would jump at the chance to show if he could do the job.Celtic would also prefer him to make his mistakes elsewhere.If Hibs want it I think he’ll get the job.

Bishop Hibee
11-11-2019, 04:45 PM
This is the sort of candidate for the job we should be looking at.

ScottB
11-11-2019, 04:58 PM
Any manager we appoint will have dreams and goals beyond us, as well they should. Do you want a coach who dreams of reaching the highest level, or one that isn’t good enough?

Ultimately, anyone who does well with us will attract attention and move on, which is great, as it means they did a good job. Same with players, give me a team of McGinn’s, might not have long to enjoy them, but better than a bunch that’ll never make it beyond the SPL.

Lago
11-11-2019, 05:05 PM
Any manager we appoint will have dreams and goals beyond us, as well they should. Do you want a coach who dreams of reaching the highest level, or one that isn’t good enough?

Ultimately, anyone who does well with us will attract attention and move on, which is great, as it means they did a good job. Same with players, give me a team of McGinn’s, might not have long to enjoy them, but better than a bunch that’ll never make it beyond the SPL.
You make excellent points.

Mibbes Aye
11-11-2019, 05:05 PM
We have had a fair bit of joy in recent years with ex-Celtc defenders managing us. If Kennedy isn’t available then we should be enquiring into Anton Rogan, or maybe Dariusz Wdowczyk :agree:

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Neil Warnock.:aok:

Allant1981
11-11-2019, 05:14 PM
This is the sort of candidate for the job we should be looking at.

A coach with no experience of managing is not what we need just now

04Sauzee
11-11-2019, 05:23 PM
A coach with no experience of managing is not what we need just now

Yip what we want is a Fenlon, Butcher, Williamson type appointment

Allant1981
11-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Did I say that?

The Modfather
11-11-2019, 05:46 PM

If only there was a middle ground between someone who hasn’t managed before and Fenlon/Butcher/Williamson......

superfurryhibby
Did I say that?

The point is that he is making a very good point. Experienced managers can also be rubbish managers.

04Sauzee
Did I say that?

I didn't say you mentioned these names? You take my point though, experience means nothing. Every appointment is a gamble

Allant1981
11-11-2019, 05:57 PM
I didn't say you mentioned these names? You take my point though, experience means nothing. Every appointment is a gamble

We are going through a sticky stage, the players need an experienced leader just now, a rookie would be a mistake in my opinion, an experienced manager is less of a risk surely, yes we got lucky with stubbs but that's not going to happen all the time

superfurryhibby
11-11-2019, 06:00 PM
We are going through a sticky stage, the players need an experienced leader just now, a rookie would be a mistake in my opinion, an experienced manager is less of a risk surely, yes we got lucky with stubbs but that's not going to happen all the time

And Mowbray and Collins?

Gmack7
11-11-2019, 06:10 PM
We have had a fair bit of joy in recent years with ex-Celtc defenders managing us. If Kennedy isn’t available then we should be enquiring into Anton Rogan, or maybe Dariusz Wdowczyk :agree:

Gary Caldwell

pacoluna
11-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Not for me.

Allant1981
11-11-2019, 06:16 PM
And Mowbray and Collins?

Mowbray had us playing cracking football but won nothing ultimately, collins won us the cup and then left us with some horrendous players, if we sign an inexperienced head coach then they will get my backing but again I personally dont think that's what we need just now

Since452
11-11-2019, 06:22 PM

Exactly how i feel

superfurryhibby
11-11-2019, 06:52 PM
Mowbray had us playing cracking football but won nothing ultimately, collins won us the cup and then left us with some horrendous players, if we sign an inexperienced head coach then they will get my backing but again I personally dont think that's what we need just now

Ah, so three rookie managers, with varying degrees of experience prior to appointment, bring us two cups and the type of football we rarely get to watch over the decades at Hibs.

As opposed to this we had the much more experienced safe hands like Calderwood, Fenlon, Williamson, who brought us.....?

Hibs should be more ambitious than a play it safe option. However, like you, I'll be backing whoever it is that's appointed.

Allant1981
11-11-2019, 06:54 PM
Ah, so three rookie managers, with varying degrees of experience prior to appointment, bring us two cups and the type of football we rarely get to watch over the decades at Hibs.

As opposed to this we had the much more experienced safe hands like Calderwood, Fenlon, Williamson, who brought us.....?

Hibs should be more ambitious than a play it safe option. However, like you, I'll be backing whoever it is that's appointed.

You clearly have no issue appointing a rookie manager, I havent made a big deal of it, no idea why you are making such a big deal out of me wanting an experienced manager, I wont go into the stubb debate as it's been done to death but he failed in his ultimate goal, the cup was a much needed added bonus

superfurryhibby
11-11-2019, 06:57 PM
You clearly have no issue appointing a rookie manager, I havent made a big deal of it, no idea why you are making such a big deal out of me wanting an experienced manager

Don't take it to heart, it's a discussion and I'm in a discussive mood. I concluded by acknowledging that ultimately we want the same thing. :greengrin

jacomo
11-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Neil Warnock.:aok:

Always knew you were a Jambo in disguise.

NOLA
11-11-2019, 11:58 PM
If Kennedy states that he would like to talk to Hibs then I seriously doubt there is anything Lennon or Celtic would do to stand in his way.

They could make him an offer he can’t refuse [emoji206]

CMurdoch
12-11-2019, 01:21 AM
Just saw this - sorry if someone has already posted it.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50366019

Another made up media story..
No source, nuthin'.
It is the sort of appointment that would probably appeal to LD if it were not for the harsh reality that she needs a safe pair of hands to protect her reputation after Heckenbottom.
Still Jack Ross for me. Has made his mistakes elsewhere and isn't a Football Manager slaver type.

NAE NOOKIE
12-11-2019, 02:19 AM
Kennedy would be a risk, but then what manager isnt? As for NL allegedly saying he's going nowhere that's just hot air, no club would deliberately stand in the way of a first team coach who wants the chance to manage a team in his own right, especially one who has an offer on the table ... its almost an unwritten law in professional football that you dont do that.

FilipinoHibs
12-11-2019, 02:19 AM
Ah, the blood contract?

Because Lennon clueless without him.

FilipinoHibs
12-11-2019, 02:22 AM
If only there was a middle ground between someone who hasn’t managed before and Fenlon/Butcher/Williamson......

Mowbray/stubbs

WeeRussell
12-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Mowbray/stubbs

You're not taking into account the hibs.net law against any former manager or player returning to Easter Road in the same capacity.

04Sauzee
12-11-2019, 12:31 PM
His odds have dropped a bit today but as we know that doesn't mean much

cappoquinboy
12-11-2019, 12:50 PM
I think it might do on this occasion

Heisenberg
12-11-2019, 01:06 PM
His odds have dropped a bit today but as we know that doesn't mean much

Surely just because of the story in the papers today. Should’ve got my money on this morning when he was still 9/1.

CapitalGreen
12-11-2019, 01:28 PM

I hate to break it to you but most seasons we won’t win anything, regardless of who our manager is. There is no team in Scotland out with the old firm who have consistently won trophies in over 3 decades, there just isn’t the money to compete anymore. What we can do is play good football and look to qualify consistently for Europe, something Tony Mowbray achieved.

KeithTheHibby
12-11-2019, 01:37 PM
Nowt wrong with taking ex Celtic players, coaches or managers. The last 3 have all worked out pretty well.

Greenworld
12-11-2019, 01:44 PM
I hate to break it to you but most seasons we won’t win anything, regardless of who our manager is. There is no team in Scotland out with the old firm who have consistently won trophies in over 3 decades, there just isn’t the money to compete anymore. What we can do is play good football and look to qualify consistently for Europe, something Tony Mowbray achieved.Agree we play in a leugue where top 6 is fist target for all but the old firm .
Not great in a leugue of 12 . [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

LancsHibs
12-11-2019, 01:52 PM
Personally I hope there is nothing in this. Don’t fancy him as our new head coach/manager. He has no experience of being a boss, we are too big and not in the right place right now to gamble on a rookie. Also this guy is Celtic through and through, don’t mind somebody who played for them like Stubbs & Mowbray but I think Kennedy is a born and bread Celt.

Torto7
12-11-2019, 02:04 PM
I hadn't considered Kennedy initially but I'd be satisfied if he was appointed. The only thing I want is a coach who will try his best to entertain and get us punching our weight or preferably above it.

One thing Celtic fans love like hibs fans is good football so I'm sure JK's style would be pleasing. I couldn't give a flying **** if he's Celtic daft. If he ever gets offered the Celtic job it means he'll have done well here. The fact he's learned and played under some really good coaches would be a good thing to have around the club, then when he moves on/gets moved on then SDG/Whittaker/Daz might be ready to step in.

Allant1981
12-11-2019, 02:07 PM
I hate to break it to you but most seasons we won’t win anything, regardless of who our manager is. There is no team in Scotland out with the old firm who have consistently won trophies in over 3 decades, there just isn’t the money to compete anymore. What we can do is play good football and look to qualify consistently for Europe, something Tony Mowbray achieved.

Thanks, I'm more than aware of that

CapitalGreen
12-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Thanks, I'm more than aware of that

So why use Mowbray and not winning a trophy as a reason against hiring an inexperienced coach?

Smartie
12-11-2019, 02:52 PM
Personally I hope there is nothing in this. Don’t fancy him as our new head coach/manager. He has no experience of being a boss, we are too big and not in the right place right now to gamble on a rookie. Also this guy is Celtic through and through, don’t mind somebody who played for them like Stubbs & Mowbray but I think Kennedy is a born and bread Celt.

I love a punt on someone with no managerial experience.

He's spent a good amount of time learning his trade as a coach and has been around football for long enough to watch and learn from a few managers along the way.

Mowbray and Stubbs were both just waiting for the opportunity to be their own man and they both did well.

He certainly fits the bill of the type of candidate who has gone on to be successful for us in the past.

lyonhibs
12-11-2019, 03:19 PM

So was Lennon, and whatever other accusation one can level at him, he certainly cared. If anything, too much.

Couldn't care less who they support, or are believed to support, in their private lives

Allant1981
12-11-2019, 03:55 PM
So why use Mowbray and not winning a trophy as a reason against hiring an inexperienced coach?

Because I dont want an inexperienced manager coming in to the club just now, we need someone with experience of managing players at the moment, think I've made that pretty clear in other posts, and if you had noticed it wasnt me who brought mowbray into the thread, it was another poster

Greenbeard
12-11-2019, 04:48 PM

Heisenberg
12-11-2019, 04:51 PM
Wonder who’d assist Kennedy if he got it? John Collins?

The 90+2
12-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Kennedy would be a very ambitious appointment it would take some attempt to get him away from Celtic.

superfurryhibby
12-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Kennedy would be a very ambitious appointment it would take some attempt to get him away from Celtic.

Kennedy getting some coverage in the EEN. I have a feeling he is going to be the next manager.

Hibeesmad
12-11-2019, 06:38 PM
Maybe he would bring home Efe

Since452
12-11-2019, 06:47 PM
Only if he brings super Leigh home with him. Kamberi and Griffiths up front anyone?

Sir David Gray
12-11-2019, 06:55 PM
Agree we play in a leugue where top 6 is fist target for all but the old firm .
Not great in a leugue of 12 . [emoji2]

For Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen, the first target should be 3rd.

Getting into the top 6 genuinely means nothing to me.

madhatter
12-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Did Kennedy actually apply? If Celtic haven’t been contacted yet and Kennedy didn’t show an interest and apply, how is he even one of the front runners yet? Does assistant and manager not fall under same “rules” as players in terms of discussing it with club before approaching individual?

Jim44
12-11-2019, 07:20 PM
Did Kennedy actually apply? If Celtic haven’t been contacted yet and Kennedy didn’t show an interest and apply, how is he even one of the front runners yet? Does assistant and manager not fall under same “rules” as players in terms of discussing it with club before approaching individual?

Well Lennon was certainly blabbing about it yesterday.

CapitalGreen
12-11-2019, 07:34 PM
John Kennedy and Graeme Mathie worked together at Celtic initially both in scouting and then while JK was youth team manager. You would assume that JK would not have made it this far through the process if either he or GM didn’t think they would work well together.

Secondly, JK is coming from a club with a player recruitment structure similar to our own so I’d imagine he’d be comfortable with it and understand his role within it.

04Sauzee
12-11-2019, 07:48 PM
John Kennedy and Graeme Mathie worked together at Celtic initially both in scouting and then while JK was youth team manager. You would assume that JK would not have made it this far through the process if either he or GM didn’t think they would work well together.

Secondly, JK is coming from a club with a player recruitment structure similar to our own so I’d imagine he’d be comfortable with it and understand his role within it.

Hadn't realise they had worked together before but that certainly throws some weight behind kennedy

Col2
12-11-2019, 07:52 PM
I am more excited about him than some of the usual suspects.

J-C
12-11-2019, 08:07 PM

Most coaches/assistants will have a clause in their contracts that if a another club approaches offering a higher position, then they are allowed to be interviewed for it, only thing Celtic could do would be offer him more cash or head coaches job.

Jones28
12-11-2019, 08:09 PM
Kennedy excites me more than Ross.

Weegreenman
12-11-2019, 08:14 PM
No thanks. We need a manager with experience and someone who knows Scottish football. Jack Ross for me 👍

B.H.F.C
12-11-2019, 08:19 PM
No thanks. We need a manager with experience and someone who knows Scottish football. Jack Ross for me 👍

Kennedy knows the league better than Ross in fairness.

Slavers
12-11-2019, 08:23 PM
I'd like Kennedy he will have an attacking football style and has worked with Mathie before.

Smartie
12-11-2019, 08:24 PM

Why do we need a manager with experience?

I agree that we probably don't want someone in his 20's, someone whose background will mean he's unlikely to command the respect of the dressing room or someone who doesn't know anything about Scottish football.

Kennedy might not have been a manager himself but he has served a pretty decent apprenticeship when it comes to earning a managerial role. If not him, then there will be plenty of coaches out there who will have done likewise.

Demanding managerial experience would, in my opinion, rule out some of the candidates who might go on to do the best job for us.

I quite like folk whose careers are on an upward trajectory when they reach us.

CapitalGreen
12-11-2019, 08:24 PM

Yup, don’t want a repeat of the exciting, successful football of the Mowbray, Stubbs or Collins appointments.

Better with someone experienced, who knows Scottish football and who’s had success with a team in the 2nd tier, say like a Terry Butcher or a Jim Duffy 👍

Bobby Moore
12-11-2019, 08:30 PM
I wonder what Neil Lennon’s advice to his assistant would be if it transpires that Kennedy is offered the Hibs job?

The 90+2
12-11-2019, 08:34 PM
I wonder what Neil Lennon’s advice to his assistant would be if it transpires that Kennedy is offered the Hibs job?

Arrrrgghhhh munch munch munch launch a computer screen at a wall?

Jim44
12-11-2019, 08:44 PM
I'd like Kennedy he will have an attacking football style and has worked with Mathie before.

What makes you think that? A quick look over on Kerrydale street suggests that Kennedy’s sole job at Parkhead was as the defensive coach. Some of them are questioning his ability to manage the full range of skills. Having said that I suppose a defence coach would have to be working with the forwards as well. He might get our defence into better shape.

Callum_62
12-11-2019, 08:45 PM
Interesting that he is now favorite

I know absolutely nothing about him or what he will bring/his style etc

Seems fairly rated at celtic to be fair

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Callum_62
12-11-2019, 08:46 PM
What makes you think that? A quick look over on Kerrydale street suggests that Kennedy’s sole job at Parkhead was as the defensive coach. Some of them are questioning his ability to manage the full range of skills. Having said that I suppose a defence coach would have to be working with the forwards as well. He might get our defence into better shape.I just read the very same thread. It was pointed out he does much more than that..
To which the original poster said "I know"

Im taking that as they rate him over there

Stuart93
12-11-2019, 08:50 PM
I just read the very same thread. It was pointed out he does much more than that..

Aye they don’t want to give away too much

Slavers
12-11-2019, 08:56 PM
What makes you think that? A quick look over on Kerrydale street suggests that Kennedy’s sole job at Parkhead was as the defensive coach. Some of them are questioning his ability to manage the full range of skills. Having said that I suppose a defence coach would have to be working with the forwards as well. He might get our defence into better shape.

Im really just basing it on him being a coach at Celtic and their style is attacking, so I guess his style albeit as a defensive coach will be suited to an attacking style of play.

CapitalGreen
12-11-2019, 09:00 PM

He played attacking football when managing the youth team to 3 success league titles and 2 cup doubles.

JohnM1875
12-11-2019, 09:07 PM
No idea why folk are so buzzing about Kennedy. He's a coach at Celtic who's never managed a pro team before. A risk I don't really think we should be taking given our league position.

CapitalGreen
12-11-2019, 09:13 PM
No idea why folk are so buzzing about Kennedy. He's a coach at Celtic who's never managed a pro team before. A risk I don't really think we should be taking given our league position.

Every managerial appointment would have some element of risk. There is no correlation between experience and success in our managerial appointments in the past.

bingo70
12-11-2019, 09:13 PM

Any experienced manager will have failed somewhere else so they’re just as much a risk as a young manager, you just know they’re not going to be any better than average.

A young manager coming up might be the next big thing

Jack Ross seems to be the experienced manager most people want, ask the Sunderland fans if they think he’d be a safe bet for us and I doubt you’d get a positive answer.

JohnM1875
12-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Every managerial appointment would have some element of risk. There is no correlation between experience and success in our managerial appointments in the past.

Of course. I'm not arguing that point. I just don't get why some people seem to be so excited by the prospect of Kennedy being our manager.

What is it exactly that's so exciting about him? Other than he's worked under some good managers. So had Ian Cathro.

blackpoolhibs
12-11-2019, 09:17 PM
Of course. I'm not arguing that point. I just don't get why some people seem to be so excited by the prospect of Kennedy being our manager.

What is it exactly that's so exciting about him? Other than he's worked under some good managers. So had Ian Cathro.

I'm not sure with what we pay, we can get a manager who'd excite us, one who has us playing good attacking football, that won more than it lost would do for now.

CapitalGreen
12-11-2019, 09:23 PM

What is it exactly that's so great about experience? Other than having managed at a few different clubs. So had Terry Butcher.

Fun game this.

JohnM1875
12-11-2019, 09:27 PM
What is it exactly that's so great about experience? Other than having managed at a few different clubs. So had Terry Butcher.

Fun game this.

It's not a game. I'm genuinely asking what is so exciting about Kennedy being our next manager. What is it that folk seem to know about him or how he'd manage a team?

Terry Butcher had a cracking record at ICT before joining us so I can see why that would excite people. Massive failure at us.

I think you're missing my probably not very well made point. I understand every managerial appointment is a risk. I'm just genuinely interested to know why Kennedy is an exciting prospect.

bingo70
12-11-2019, 09:28 PM

I don’t really know what sort of answer people can give you that would answer your question as he’s obviously not had a managerial job yet, that’s the exciting bit.

The unknown can be exciting as it could be brilliant. Appointing experience is likely to be a safe pair of hands but unlikely to be anything special.

jeffers
12-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Just heard he’s been offered it, but no idea of the accuracy of this.

04Sauzee
12-11-2019, 09:41 PM
Just heard he’s been offered it, but no idea of the accuracy of this.

Can i ask who you have been hearing from? Have we asked for and been granted permission to talk to him from Celtic?

erin go bragh
12-11-2019, 09:43 PM
I just read the very same thread. It was pointed out he does much more than that..

When Rodgers left , it was the perfect chance for Kennedy to take over for the remaking games but Celtc brought in Lennon . ( Which was a big snub for Kennedy)
So maybe Kennedy could see this as his big chance of making a name for himself .

NOLA
12-11-2019, 09:44 PM

No gay jokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CapitalGreen
It's not a game. I'm genuinely asking what is so exciting about Kennedy being our next manager. What is it that folk seem to know about him or how he'd manage a team?

Terry Butcher had a cracking record at ICT before joining us so I can see why that would excite people. Massive failure at us.

I think you're missing my probably not very well made point. I understand every managerial appointment is a risk. I'm just genuinely interested to know why Kennedy is an exciting prospect.

In no particular order:

- 10 years experience as a coach working under Lennon, Rodgers and Delia. Rodgers thought highly enough of him to ask him to join him at Leicester.
- Has worked previously with Graeme Mathie meaning we should avoid tension which can be common between new managers and sporting directors.
- Won 5 out of 6 competitions in 3 seasons as youth team manager, developing the likes of Callum McGregor and Kieran Tierney.
- Might bring Ambrose home

FilipinoHibs

Butcher's record very patchy elsewhere.

jeffers
12-11-2019, 09:49 PM
Can i ask who you have been hearing from? Have we asked for and been granted permission to talk to him from Celtic?

All I heard was he had been offered it and were waiting on his decision, from that I assumed we had spoken to Celtic. It’s 3rd hand info via a former Hibs player. Definitely one to file under the “just passing on what I’ve heard”. As I said in my original post I have no idea of the accuracy. Sorry I can’t be any more specific.

ahibby
12-11-2019, 09:51 PM
Bfore Kennedys name was mentioned my gut instinct told me a young hands on coach would be the best option. Kennedy would have the respect of the players giving he is assistant at a club that not only always wins our league but is also doing very well in the Europa league. Here is the thing though it wont be him who gets the job.

04Sauzee
12-11-2019, 09:54 PM
All I heard was he had been offered it and were waiting on his decision, from that I assumed we had spoken to Celtic. It’s 3rd hand info via a former Hibs player. Definitely one to file under the “just passing on what I’ve heard”. As I said in my original post I have no idea of the accuracy. Sorry I can’t be any more specific.

No apologies required your just passing on info so thank you. I wonder who he would want as his assistant should he get the gig.

superfurryhibby
12-11-2019, 09:54 PM
Bfore Kennedys name was mentioned my gut instinct told me a young hands on coach would be the best option. Kennedy would have the respect of the players giving he is assistant at a club that not only always wins our league but is also doing very well in the Europa league. Here is the thing though it wont be him who gets the job.

Here’s the thing though, I think you’re wrong. Easy that isn’t it? :na na:

Care to say why you think that or who you think might?

The 90+2
12-11-2019, 09:57 PM
No apologies required your just passing on info so thank you. I wonder who he would want as his assistant should he get the gig.

John Doolan and we have a winner.

bingo70
12-11-2019, 09:59 PM

Kenny Miller would be a good fit for that role.....depending on how they get on of course.

Shaun Maloney another option maybe?

Crab apple
12-11-2019, 10:01 PM

Definitely something in it. Douglas Alexander who first broke this story on Sunday also called Appleton as our first choice last time round.

Topographic Hibby
12-11-2019, 10:36 PM
I wonder who he would want as his assistant should he get the gig.If he brought Broony as player/coach and made his first signing as Sparky on loan, there wouldn't be enough Daffy gifs left in the world......:greengrin

Ellahappyhibee
12-11-2019, 10:38 PM
Would prefer him to Ross, apparently a well thought of coach, may be ready to take step up. Jack Ross is for me over rated, he has not manged higher than Scottish Championship or English League One. Kennedy has worked with more talented players, may be worth a chance..

HoboHarry
12-11-2019, 10:42 PM
If he brought Broony as player/coach and made his first signing as Sparky on loan, there wouldn't be enough Daffy gifs left in the world......:greengrin
Normally I wouldn't want to even be in the same room as the mother in law but if we managed to get all of those deals done I might even give the foul old bag a hug........

Sir David Gray
12-11-2019, 11:00 PM
Any experienced manager will have failed somewhere else so they’re just as much a risk as a young manager, you just know they’re not going to be any better than average.

A young manager coming up might be the next big thing

Jack Ross seems to be the experienced manager most people want, ask the Sunderland fans if they think he’d be a safe bet for us and I doubt you’d get a positive answer.

Sunderland are a completely different ball game to what we are facing.

They are under immense pressure to get promoted to at least the Championship and I suspect most of their fans see them as a Premier League club.

I'm sure Ross is disappointed that he couldn't manage to get them up last season but they were only 6 points away from automatic promotion and then lost in the last seconds in the play offs.

Sunderland only lost 10 games with Jack Ross as manager which is pretty decent.

I'd say his record is quite good.

bingo70
12-11-2019, 11:05 PM

They are under immense pressure to get promoted to at least the Championship and I suspect most of their fans see them as a Premier League club.

I'm sure Ross is disappointed that he couldn't manage to get them up last season but they were only 6 points away from automatic promotion and then lost in the last seconds in the play offs.

That’s not what the Sunderland fans have been saying that I’ve read.

MWHIBBIES
12-11-2019, 11:12 PM
I fear a bit if it's Kennedy mid season on a decent contract. Always tough to come in and get ideas across with none of your own players without a summer on the training pitch. Hibs have almost never appointed a manager mid season who has been a success. Collins was for a bit and obviously McLeish (different circumstances really)

Unseen work
12-11-2019, 11:55 PM
Wonder what Lennon is saying to Kennedy about us? Clearly had a very enjoyable and successful time here but left on bad terms.

FWIW Kennedy seems a good coach, think initially he was a coach out of sympathy but has clearly kicked on and appears good.

He would have good knowledge of the Scottish game and you would imagine reasonable contacts, probably help us get 1 or 2 Celtic players in.

My main fear is that he’s only 36, would he get the respect of all the players? It’s s huge job never mind for a 36 year old with no management experience

Hes always seemed a bit of a leader though.

Baader
13-11-2019, 12:08 AM
He's certainly cut his teeth. 36 now, has been a scout, a coach (youth team and senior) and an assistant. Worked under Delia, Brendan Rodgers and Lennon so should have learnt a thing or two.

Being your own man is very different but the pedigree is good. Just wish we were in a better position as I think its much easier for a young inexperienced manager to take over a club who is on the up rather than one that has been struggling and underachieving.

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2019, 12:12 AM

Sunderland Fan Forums are a mirror image of our own forum during the Hecky months

They wanted JR gone

Poor recruitment, failure to see games out, one up front, lack of penetration, defensive football, too many draws etc, etc

Sound familiar?

JR himself admitted he ultimately failed with the biggest budget in the League according to one poster

Dont take my word for it free to view online

Brightside
13-11-2019, 12:15 AM
So Kennedy has a job for life promised by Celtic following his injury as part of his insurance. They’ve coached him through to this point and it’s the reason Lennon has to dump his pals to take the job. He won’t be moving. The idea is he takes from Lennon in 2 years.

shetlandhibee
13-11-2019, 12:50 AM
So Kennedy has a job for life promised by Celtic following his injury as part of his insurance. They’ve coached him through to this point and it’s the reason Lennon has to dump his pals to take the job. He won’t be moving. The idea is he takes from Lennon in 2 years.accurate assessment IMO :top marks

Onion
13-11-2019, 01:45 AM
So Kennedy has a job for life promised by Celtic following his injury as part of his insurance. They’ve coached him through to this point and it’s the reason Lennon has to dump his pals to take the job. He won’t be moving. The idea is he takes from Lennon in 2 years.

Or he's sent out by Celtic for manager experience with Hibs until he gets the inevitable phone call ?

Sir David Gray
13-11-2019, 06:59 AM
That’s not what the Sunderland fans have been saying that I’ve read.

Sunderland Fan Forums are a mirror image of our own forum during the Hecky months

They wanted JR gone

Poor recruitment, failure to see games out, one up front, lack of penetration, defensive football, too many draws etc, etc

Sound familiar?

JR himself admitted he ultimately failed with the biggest budget in the League according to one poster

Dont take my word for it free to view online

Fair enough I would agree that failing to get them promoted is a negative against his name but I do think they are a bit of a basket case of a club and have been for a number of years.

They've not exactly done too well since Ross left.

JimBHibees
13-11-2019, 06:59 AM

So a part of his insurance is he gets the Celtic job that can't possibly be right.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-11-2019, 07:13 AM
So a part of his insurance is he gets the Celtic job that can't possibly be right.

In and internet and fakes news world everything is possible until it’s not.

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2019, 07:18 AM
Fair enough I would agree that failing to get them promoted is a negative against his name but I do think they are a bit of a basket case of a club and have been for a number of years.

They've not exactly done too well since Ross left.

:agree:

bigwheel
13-11-2019, 07:32 AM

Haha. Good catch ...

Brightside
13-11-2019, 07:59 AM
Haha. Good catch ...

Lawell was very clear at a dinner with about 40 people. They fully expect Kennedy to be a future head coach at Celtic. The job for life quote came from him too.

Golden Bear
13-11-2019, 07:59 AM
Does anyone know for sure that we've even had talks with Kennedy?

makaveli1875
13-11-2019, 08:02 AM

You'd think so if he's at the top of the list but I'm sure I read somewhere we're going to approach Celtic for permission to talk to him today

superfurryhibby
13-11-2019, 08:07 AM

What if Lennon doesn’t want to go in two years? Maybe he carries on winning titles and cups, qualifying for and doing well in Europe etc, etc.

Will Celtic really get rid of a successful manager, who will clearly have many years ahead of him ( age wise) in order to promote Kennedy?

Stein had to serve his managerial apprenticeship before taking the Celtic job, Kennedy will need to do so too.

Since452
13-11-2019, 08:11 AM
My worry is Kennedy might be a very good coach but might flop as a manager. It does seem a very Hibs type appointment though. Mowbray, Collins, Stubbs etc. We've had tried abd tested managers who've been disasters. I'm open to it.

Golden Bear
13-11-2019, 08:22 AM
You'd think so if he's at the top of the list but I'm sure I read somewhere we're going to approach Celtic for permission to talk to him today

That suggests to me that Kennedy is on a "back up" list. It could be the case that we've been unable to agree contract (s) with our preferred candidate(s)

:dunno:

LancsHibs
13-11-2019, 08:39 AM
Or he's sent out by Celtic for manager experience with Hibs until he gets the inevitable phone call ?

Could well be right, we might be being viewed as ‘work experience’ for him, but it’s a huge personal risk if that is the case. If he doesn’t do well, and very well at Hibs, there is no way he would ever be accepted as boss at Celtic.

flash
13-11-2019, 08:52 AM

Accept the "Job for life" due to his career being cut short by injury. That doesn't mean he can't leave for another club though as there is no way on earth he is taking over from Lennon in 2 years.

macca70
13-11-2019, 08:58 AM
I fear a bit if it's Kennedy mid season on a decent contract. Always tough to come in and get ideas across with none of your own players without a summer on the training pitch. Hibs have almost never appointed a manager mid season who has been a success. Collins was for a bit and obviously McLeish (different circumstances really)

Have we appointed a manager closed season that’s been a success in recent years?

bigwheel
13-11-2019, 09:01 AM
Have we appointed a manager closed season that’s been a success in recent years?

Stubbs, Lennon

Going further Mowbray ...

MWHIBBIES
13-11-2019, 09:16 AM

What do you mean? Stubbs? Lennon? Mowbray? The only successes we've appointed in nearly 20 years have been in the summer.

Brightside
13-11-2019, 09:21 AM
Accept the "Job for life" due to his career being cut short by injury. That doesn't mean he can't leave for another club though as there is no way on earth he is taking over from Lennon in 2 years.

Yep. But he’s surely not what Hibs are after right now. He won’t lead the dressing room that for sure.

oneone73
13-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Yep. But he’s surely not what Hibs are after right now. He won’t lead the dressing room that for sure.

You know that how?

wookie70
13-11-2019, 09:26 AM
No idea how his appointment would pan out but I hope he gets the gig. I like the idea of a young coach who was a good player. It has a bit of teh Stubbs feel about it too which I like.

Stuart93
13-11-2019, 09:34 AM
You know that how?

Aye quite a strange assumption based on who knows what

Heisenberg
13-11-2019, 09:39 AM
🗣 Callum McGregor on John Kennedy: “Day-to-day, everybody will tell you how good John is and I think it's imperative from the club that we manage to keep him here. I think everyone will say the same and tell you how much of an influence he is. For us, we hope that he stays."

BoomtownHibees
13-11-2019, 10:53 AM
🗣 Callum McGregor on John Kennedy: “Day-to-day, everybody will tell you how good John is and I think it's imperative from the club that we manage to keep him here. I think everyone will say the same and tell you how much of an influence he is. For us, we hope that he stays."

Aye but what would he know compared to some posters on Hibs.net?

J-C
13-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Kennedy, a very good player whose career was cut short by injury, worked his way up through the Celtic system to become assistant coach, even at 36 he'll be well respected by the players due to the level at which he played. For some of the posters who ask about experience, I give you Mowbray and Stubbs, both were U20's coaches and both had a defensive background., both played attractive attacking football.

Greenworld
13-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Kennedy, a very good player whose career was cut short by injury, worked his way up through the Celtic system to become assistant coach, even at 36 he'll be well respected by the players due to the level at which he played. For some of the posters who ask about experience, I give you Mowbray and Stubbs, both were U20's coaches and both had a defensive background., both played attractive attacking football.That's my take the future Celtic Manager I don't see why he needs to go anywhere else to learn.
Liverpool promoted from within quite successful.
But I don't see anywhere that Hibs have asked permission or that celtic have given it or declined it .
Is this not all a bit Chinese whispers

J-C
13-11-2019, 11:14 AM
That's my take the future Celtic Manager I don't see why he needs to go anywhere else to learn.
Liverpool promoted from within quite successful.
But I don't see anywhere that Hibs have asked permission or that celtic have given it or declined it .
Is this not all a bit Chinese whispers

Maybe Celtic gig isn't quite ready for him, Lennon had the experience Celtic needed, we have a system at Hibs at the moment and that's young up and coming coaches, with Whittaker having his badges and Daz/Gray doing theirs, we are now seeing our own succession plan being put in place.

MWHIBBIES
13-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Maybe Celtic gig isn't quite ready for him, Lennon had the experience Celtic needed, we have a system at Hibs at the moment and that's young up and coming coaches, with Whittaker having his badges and Daz/Gray doing theirs, we are now seeing our own succession plan being put in place.

Why would he be ready for Hibs if not Celtic? Lennon proved that Hibs is a harder job. If he isn't ready for them I don't want him here.

SlickShoes
13-11-2019, 11:33 AM
Why would he be ready for Hibs if not Celtic? Lennon proved that Hibs is a harder job. If he isn't ready for them I don't want him here.

It's funny to me that this is true, yet the fact that Lennon ended up failing at hibs after a couple of good years will get forgotten about because he sleepwalked celtic to another title that probably anyone with any experience at all could have done. Celtic is a step up in your wages and good for your CV, Hibs is a much harder job.

Smartie
13-11-2019, 11:53 AM
It's funny to me that this is true, yet the fact that Lennon ended up failing at hibs after a couple of good years will get forgotten about because he sleepwalked celtic to another title that probably anyone with any experience at all could have done. Celtic is a step up in your wages and good for your CV, Hibs is a much harder job.

Celtic is high risk though, the consequences of having a failure there are colossal for Lennon (or anyone else).

If they don't win 10 in a row then what does that do for his CV? For his legacy with the Celtic fans?

I wouldn't pretend for a second to think the Hibs job is easy but you could carry a good few bad results on your way to 3rd and 4th place finishes and still be our most successful manager in decades.

Beat Hearts more than they beat us, a few good cup runs, put up a solid fight against the OF and generally beat the teams you'd expect us to be beating and you'll find yourself being some sort of legend.

All of the managers who failed at Hibs have gone on to get jobs elsewhere, they weren't finished. A high profile failure at Celtic might alter your position as a manager in the football world fairly dramatically.

FilipinoHibs
13-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Because Lennon would be clueless without him.

Marvellous
13-11-2019, 12:02 PM

No chance.

ancient hibee
13-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Anyone who thinks managing Hibs is more difficult than managing Celtic should get a grip.

SlickShoes
13-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Celtic is high risk though, the consequences of having a failure there are colossal for Lennon (or anyone else).

If they don't win 10 in a row then what does that do for his CV? For his legacy with the Celtic fans?

I wouldn't pretend for a second to think the Hibs job is easy but you can carry a few bad results on your way to 3rd and 4th place finishes and still be our most successful manager in decades.

Beat Hearts more than they beat us, a few good cup runs, put up a solid fight against the OF and generally beat the teams you'd expect us to be beating and you'll find yourself being some sort of legend.

All of the managers who failed at Hibs have gone on to get jobs elsewhere, they weren't finished. A high profile failure at Celtic might alter your position as a manager in the football world.

Yeah agree with that, just also think that finishing 3rd or 4th with hibs is a lot harder than folk think. How many seasons have we actually beat the teams we expect to beat? if the job was that simple then we would be a lot more successful than we are.

Celtics most high profile failures recently were Ronny Deila who is back managing in Norway for the last 2 years and Tony Mowbray who is still doing OK kicking around the English Championship. Even John Barnes got another managerial job after his time at Celtic.

Smartie
13-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Yeah agree with that, just also think that finishing 3rd or 4th with hibs is a lot harder than folk think. How many seasons have we actually beat the teams we expect to beat? if the job was that simple then we would be a lot more successful than we are.

Celtics most high profile failures recently were Ronny Deila who is back managing in Norway for the last 2 years and Tony Mowbray who is still doing OK kicking around the English Championship. Even John Barnes got another managerial job after his time at Celtic.

Deila wasn't a disaster - he still managed to win the league every year. Anyone now who fails to win the league will be considered to be a disaster, which is a high bar with and improved Sevco.

Mowbray failed but wasn't given much of a chance so he still had enough in the bank to secure him a couple of Championship level jobs in England.

Barnes was a disaster, and Tranmere is quite a drop in level from Celtic.

And going back further, Liam Brady, did he ever get another job? Did Lou Macari get much after Celtic?

Being Celtic manager is, I am sure, great when the going is good. I don't fancy it much in times of trouble.

SlickShoes
13-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Deila wasn't a disaster - he still managed to win the league every year. Anyone now who fails to win the league will be considered to be a disaster, which is a high bar with and improved Sevco.

Mowbray failed but wasn't given much of a chance so he still had enough in the bank to secure him a couple of Championship level jobs in England.

Barnes was a disaster, and Tranmere is quite a drop in level from Celtic.

And going back further, Liam Brady, did he ever get another job? Did Lou Macari get much after Celtic?

Being Celtic manager is, I am sure, great when the going is good. I don't fancy it much in times of trouble.

Macari went back to Stoke, which is who he went to Celtic from. Brady only managed Celtic and Brighton his entire career. That was also a bit of a different time, nowadays the chance of anyone outside rangers mounting a challenge is slim to none as the financial gap is enormous.

MacGruber
13-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Anyone who thinks managing Hibs is more difficult than managing Celtic should get a grip.

I think there's confusion here over yes it's a bigger job at Celtic with more pressure, expectation and characters to manage. However, it's a lot easier to have domestic success at Celtic over Hibs, Hearts, Brechin and everyone inbetween when you have all the resources to hand etc.

Its easier to win football matches and trophies at Celtic over Hibs. Then Celtic are expected to win them wheras Hibs aren't measured on that level of success expectation. I see what both sides are meaning

HendoDelivered
13-11-2019, 01:30 PM
Kennedy and Mathie worked together at Celtic...

hibee-boys
13-11-2019, 01:42 PM
If there is a decision to be made by Kennedy it's a big one. Pretty much got a nailed down job with Celtic indefinately, perhaps the main gig in years to come. Let's say he comes to hibs and it doesnt work out, back to square one coaching celtic under 18's. No danger Celtic fans would want him in charge if he's failed at Hibs.

timewilltell
13-11-2019, 02:02 PM
"SKY Sports understands"...Hibs to make approach for Kennedy.

04Sauzee
13-11-2019, 02:04 PM
"SKY Sports understands"...Hibs to make approach for Kennedy.

How long does it take to make an approach? Have they not been reporting this for a couple of days now.

Heisenberg
13-11-2019, 02:05 PM
How long does it take to make an approach? Have they not been reporting this for a couple of days now.

Aye, we’ve been “making an approach” since Sunday. Surely we know by now whether he’s up for it or not.

Greenworld
13-11-2019, 02:06 PM
How long does it take to make an approach? Have they not been reporting this for a couple of days now.[emoji23][emoji23] exactly

Greenworld
13-11-2019, 02:08 PM
How long does it take to make an approach? Have they not been reporting this for a couple of days now.Hello Peter LD here can we speak to ...not a chance goodbye

hibee-boys
13-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Not entirely sure how these things work but it would be pretty fullish of hibs to identify a future management candidate who has zero intetest of coming here. He must've expressed an interest through a 3rd party and we are now reliant on Celtic giving us formal authority to speak to him. We'd look pretty daft to focus on someone who's going to knock us back.

The Green Goblin
13-11-2019, 02:16 PM

Coyle - promoted
McInness - promoted
Lomas - brought in
Wright - promoted

Excellent post.

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Because Lennon would be clueless without him.

He ever had him at Hibs.:confused:

Yorkshire HFC
13-11-2019, 02:28 PM

No. I think that everything you read on here will be a complete guess from somebody sitting on a bus or in their bedroom - I wouldn't believe any of it!

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2019, 02:30 PM
No. I think that everything you read on here will be a complete guess from somebody sitting on a bus or in their bedroom - I wouldn't believe any of it!

:agree:

:greengrin

matty_f
13-11-2019, 02:35 PM
Aye, we’ve been “making an approach” since Sunday. Surely we know by now whether he’s up for it or not.

I don't think it would have got this far if Kennedy hadn't at least expressed an interest, but I would imagine it's more likely he's applied (either directly or indirectly).

Since452
13-11-2019, 02:44 PM
He ever had him at Hibs.:confused:

And he was clueless

bingo70
13-11-2019, 03:08 PM
I don't think it would have got this far if Kennedy hadn't at least expressed an interest, but I would imagine it's more likely he's applied (either directly or indirectly).

I think the danger with Kennedy is if Celtic are keen to keep him they make him a very good counter offer.

Difficult to see what that would look like tbf as I doubt money would be his main motivator at this stage of his managerial career, I just doubt they’ll let him go without a fight if they think of him as highly as is being suggested.

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2019, 03:17 PM
And he was clueless

There is certainly one person clueless here.

The 90+2
13-11-2019, 03:25 PM
I think the danger with Kennedy is if Celtic are keen to keep him they make him a very good counter offer.

Difficult to see what that would look like tbf as I doubt money would be his main motivator at this stage of his managerial career, I just doubt they’ll let him go without a fight if they think of him as highly as is being suggested.

That’s what I meant by it would be very ambitious for the club to get him away from Celtic.

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2019, 03:28 PM
I often wonder what Neil Lennon thinks of Hibernian as a football club?

For some reason I cannot see him doing us any favours

I am convinced he will be determined to keep John Kennedy at his beloved Celtic

The look of glee on his face running down the stairs of Hampden at Scott Browns second goal against us and the big cheesy smile on Scott Browns face made me think to myself “ couple of Judas barstewards” but hey that’s just me! :greengrin

IngolstadtHarry
13-11-2019, 03:43 PM
And he was clueless

:yawn:

J-C
13-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Not entirely sure how these things work but it would be pretty fullish of hibs to identify a future management candidate who has zero intetest of coming here. He must've expressed an interest through a 3rd party and we are now reliant on Celtic giving us formal authority to speak to him. We'd look pretty daft to focus on someone who's going to knock us back.

Coaches contracts are different players, seldom will a club stand in the way of a coach wanting to move to management, all they can do is offer more money, their contracts are similar to normal contracts.

J-C
13-11-2019, 04:09 PM

The look of glee on his face running down the stairs of Hampden at Scott Browns second goal against us and the big cheesy smile on Scott Browns face made me think to myself “ couple of Judas barstewards” but hey that’s just me! :greengrin

I think he'll have a soft spot for us and wont hold grudges as a club, anything that happened here was personal. Re him celebrating Brown's goal, you forget he's a huge Celtic man and that's still his dream job. He was good for us and we for him, we move on.

Greencore
13-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Lack of class

Marvellous
13-11-2019, 04:13 PM

Did you think Lennon was a judas when he was celebrating Hibs goals against Celtic as our manager?

Peevemor
13-11-2019, 04:16 PM
Did you think Lennon was a judas when he was celebrating Hibs goals against Celtic as our manager?

He didn't.

The 90+2
13-11-2019, 04:19 PM

He done the opposite and told Parker to sit doon.

Since452
13-11-2019, 04:23 PM
He done the opposite and told Parker to sit doon.

Sure i saw him clap once

Peevemor
13-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Sure i saw him clap once

Judas!

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2019, 04:28 PM

Sorry don’t remember that

Worked his ticket though :greengrin

Greenbeard
13-11-2019, 04:33 PM

Me too.
Should start a campaign with that title to see who else.
Oh, wait.....

Greencore
13-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Pretty sure there's a YouTube video with him at celtics player of the year event and he mentions when hibs scored against celtic at celtic Park he said to the hibs bench "don't you *****ing move"

Greenbeard
13-11-2019, 04:36 PM

Or Lennon was saying "he's going nowhere" to get Hibs to up the ante for his bud.

matty_f
13-11-2019, 04:42 PM
There is certainly one person clueless here.

i hope it's me. :agree:

matty_f
13-11-2019, 04:43 PM

I think Celtic will try and keep him, unless they see it as part of his development with a longer term goal of him taking over at Parkhead.

GonzoReturns
13-11-2019, 04:44 PM

He certainly did.....

Keith_M
13-11-2019, 04:48 PM
So is there ANY evidence to suggest Hibs want Kennedy?

The 90+2
13-11-2019, 04:53 PM
I think Celtic will try and keep him, unless they see it as part of his development with a longer term goal of him taking over at Parkhead.

Sending a manager out on loan, what’s the world come to :greengrin

The 90+2
13-11-2019, 04:53 PM
So is there ANY evidence to suggest Hibs want Kennedy?

Until they ask for permission to speak to him then unofficially no.

brog
13-11-2019, 05:16 PM
Would Kennedy cost us money? ( Sorry, guaranteed Lawwell would want money) Surely, if it's tough to make the call between him & Jack Ross then that would probably swing the decision.

CraigHibee
13-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Would Kennedy cost us money? ( Sorry, guaranteed Lawwell would want money) Surely, if it's tough to make the call between him & Jack Ross then that would probably swing the decision.

Possibly, depends how long he has on his contract with celtic

Heisenberg
13-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Another Celtc player in the press telling Kennedy to stay...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50409399

Spike Mandela
13-11-2019, 05:56 PM
Kennedy’s agent doing a bangin’ job of getting him a pay rise is my suspicion.

Since452
13-11-2019, 06:02 PM
Celtic can say what they like we'll just take him for nothing in January anyway. They'd be silly biting the hand that feeds them

The 90+2
13-11-2019, 06:04 PM

He got one after he was promoted when Lennon took over, he also doesn’t seem money motivated.

eastmainsmsh
13-11-2019, 06:10 PM
I'd be very surprised if we get JK not against it but leaving celtic seems surreal from his point of view could be a clever appointment if anything happening tho

CLASS OF 72 -73
13-11-2019, 06:12 PM
Typical Celtic's self-entitlement. They will take your best players and bench them or try and prise them with derisory offers but think about taking one of their own and they are horrified.

Marvellous
13-11-2019, 06:12 PM

Imagine actually thinking that.

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2019, 06:18 PM
Imagine actually thinking that.

:greengrin

Since452
13-11-2019, 06:30 PM
Typical Celtic's self-entitlement. They will take your best players and bench them or try and prise them with derisory offers but think about taking one of their own and they are horrified.

Yup. Imagine holding a young man back like that. He's obviously outgrown Celtic and needs a bigger challenge.

Smartie
13-11-2019, 06:34 PM
#handitin

Dmas
13-11-2019, 06:46 PM

Aye my thoughts too a pay rise and a little more respect from the unwashed when things are going good

lord bunberry
13-11-2019, 06:48 PM
And he was clueless
It didn’t end well for Lennon, but for me his first season after promotion is the benchmark for any future hibs manager. That season(especially after the winter break) was absolutely phenomenal in the way that we went into every game expecting to win no matter who we we’re playing. The mentality and the football we played was absolutely bang on.

wookie70
13-11-2019, 06:58 PM
Sounds a bit like SJM with a plan for his aspirations. Nothing in the interview they played from their archives to suggest he wouldn't be interested in the Hibs job. Sounded very impressive

Since452
13-11-2019, 07:51 PM
It didn’t end well for Lennon, but for me his first season after promotion is the benchmark for any future hibs manager. That season(especially after the winter break) was absolutely phenomenal in the way that we went into every game expecting to win no matter who we we’re playing. The mentality and the football we played was absolutely bang on.

For 5 months it was a joy watching Hibs under Lennon i agree with that.

Slavers
13-11-2019, 07:55 PM
The more I think about it the more I really Want John Kennedy to be the next Hibs manager. He would bring a winning mentality and has gained experience at the highest level.

Plus Celtic are desperate for him to stay it would get it up them at the same time.

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2019, 07:55 PM

We'd get it back when he leaves to take over as manager there. :wink:

Hibeesmad
13-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Pal who’s a Celtic fan and usually gets things bang on reckons Kennedy won’t happen, reckons a lot of it is the hun press trying to unsettle Celtic

The 90+2
13-11-2019, 08:05 PM
Pal who’s a Celtic fan and usually gets things bang on reckons Kennedy won’t happen, reckons a lot of it is the hun press trying to unsettle Celtic

Surely the time to do that was last week and not when there’s no games coming up.

Heckys Wheel
13-11-2019, 08:05 PM

😂😂 Of course he does. Is it the standard issue Celtic tinfoil hat he wears?

Lee Marvin
13-11-2019, 08:08 PM

Close thread. It's not Kennedy.

Speedway
13-11-2019, 08:09 PM

I would agree with him inasmuch as it won’t be Kennedy.

Hibeesmad
13-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Surely the time to do that was last week and not when there’s no games coming up.

No idea man, probably an over exaggeration but it’s apparently a no go anyway.

Frankhfc
13-11-2019, 08:24 PM

I'd have thought the bookies would have realised it was simply a wind up and not installed him as virtually joint favourite alongside Jack Ross. Doesn't sound genuine to be honest.

Cat Stanton
13-11-2019, 08:31 PM
I would agree with him inasmuch as it won’t be Kennedy.

Who do you think it will be then?

(apologies if you have already said this earlier in the thread - I've just been jumping to the end of both manager threads to find out what's actually happening (or not find out...))

ScottB
13-11-2019, 08:34 PM
I'd have thought the bookies would have realised it was simply a wind up and not installed him as virtually joint favourite alongside Jack Ross. Doesn't sound genuine to be honest.

Bookies just respond to the betting though, guy in the press mentioned, folk stick money on, as a small market he very quickly becomes the favourite.

1875Sean
13-11-2019, 08:37 PM
STV are saying Kennedy is no longer in the running

1875Hibees
13-11-2019, 08:38 PM
lol Stuck with Jack Ross and his eye bleeding football then. Exciting stuff!

Hibeesmad
13-11-2019, 08:40 PM

👍

Lago
13-11-2019, 08:42 PM
Frankly don't think he was ever in the running, to use an old fashion term, only paper talk.

Cat Stanton
13-11-2019, 08:46 PM

Don't think it was eye-bleeding at St. Mirren. Their fans loved him. Keep the faith!

1875Hibees
13-11-2019, 08:49 PM
Don't think it was eye-bleeding at St. Mirren. Their fans loved him. Keep the faith!
Will obviously back him if he gets it but he is the one I want the least out of all the candidates mentioned. Every Sunderland fan mentions how bad his football was. All I want is a manager that gets us playing good stuff. Please not Ross.

Frankhfc
13-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Bookies just respond to the betting though, guy in the press mentioned, folk stick money on, as a small market he very quickly becomes the favourite.

Fair point.

I think though the bookies run a due diligence check regarding chances of success etc so I'd have thought he must have been a serious prospect for the position despite hearing he might no longer be in the running from other posters on here.

I'm not too fussed to be honest as I've no idea whether or not he'd have turned out to be a decent manager. I'd rather have tried out Eddie May and Grant Murray than an experimental Celtic one.

Looks like Jack Ross has possibly been given the nod.

Silky
13-11-2019, 08:55 PM

Do we know for sure that Kennedy would have played the fast, attacking football we want?

Hibeesmad
13-11-2019, 08:56 PM
I really fancied Jack Ross and put money on him, but I’ve got a funny feeling about Nathan Jones..

1875Hibees
13-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Do we know for sure that Kennedy would have played the fast, attacking football we want?
No. But 1. He would have been coached up with attacking football in mind at Celtic. 2. He wouldent have a reputation for horrendous football like Jack Ross does.

bingo70
13-11-2019, 09:00 PM

How could anybody know that for sure?

Eyrie
13-11-2019, 09:01 PM
How could anybody know that for sure?

Presumably the same way that posters are predicting Ross will make us nostalgic for Auld.

We won't know until the new guy settles in.

Since452
13-11-2019, 09:05 PM
I'm quite glad. Imagine his first pre game interview.

"So John, how has your first week at Hibs been?".

"Yeah been great meeting the lads".

"How do think Celtic will respond to Rangers title challenge?"

Had my fill of that with Lennon.

Diclonius
13-11-2019, 09:08 PM
Back to Jack Ross then. Can't wait, he's going to be a success. :aok:

ScottB
13-11-2019, 09:17 PM
Fair point.

I think though the bookies run a due diligence check regarding chances of success etc so I'd have thought he must have been a serious prospect for the position despite hearing he might no longer be in the running from other posters on here.

I'm not too fussed to be honest as I've no idea whether or not he'd have turned out to be a decent manager. I'd rather have tried out Eddie May and Grant Murray than an experimental Celtic one.

Looks like Jack Ross has possibly been given the nod.

I guess he was a plausible candidate, if folk started plumping money on Mourinho maybe they’d think something was up haha