PDA

View Full Version : Yams The supposedly 'incredible infrastructure at Hearts'

G B Young
10-11-2019, 03:41 PM
I've noticed that since Levein was sacked a number of pundits have made a big deal about how the 'infrastructure' at Hearts is a huge selling point for a new boss. Steven Thomson went so far as to describe it as 'incredible' on Sportscene.

What am I missing here? In what way is the 'infrastructure' so wonderful? A new main stand that has run millions of pounds over budget and still isn't finished despite the club having to had to rely on supporter donations, three other tinpot stands that needs a good overhaul, a child-sized pitch and a training facility they rent from (and share with) Heriot-Watt University.

In what way does this all set Hearts apart from other clubs when it comes to 'infrastructure'?

CapitalGreen
10-11-2019, 03:44 PM
I've noticed that since Levein was sacked a number of pundits have made a big deal about how the 'infrastructure' at Hearts is a huge selling point for a new boss. Steven Thomson went so far as to describe it as 'incredible' on Sportscene.

What am I missing here? In what way is the 'infrastructure' so wonderful? A new main stand that has run millions of pounds over budget and still isn't finished despite the club having to had to rely on supporter donations, three other tinpot stands that needs a good overhaul, a child-sized pitch and a training facility they rent from (and share with) Heriot-Watt University.

In what way does this all set Hearts apart from other clubs when it comes to 'infrastructure'?

They have a hospitality and corporate offering that significantly boosts their football budget compared to their city rivals (us).

Keith_M
10-11-2019, 03:48 PM
They have a hospitality and corporate offering that significantly boosts their football budget compared to their city rivals (us).

Is a good "hospitality and corporate offering" a selling point for a new boss?

Juice-Terry
10-11-2019, 03:50 PM

Like what...?

green day
10-11-2019, 03:53 PM

I think hes talking up the training facilities which - shared or not - are very good.

Mind you, so are Hibs, Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers

RyeSloan
10-11-2019, 03:55 PM

Rented or not the Oriam is a great facility.

But aye it’s a bit of myth that Hearts have managed to spin by repeating it often enough that it becomes accepted. A bit like a debt is not a debt when you owe it to yourself n all that [emoji2957]

Billy Whizz
10-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately the press still get wet when it rains

Cataplana
10-11-2019, 03:58 PM
Like what...?

There's the Castle View restaurant, as well as a state of the art escalator, as well as a glass curtain.

RoYO!
10-11-2019, 03:59 PM

Until recently their hospitality offering was truly shocking. One of the founding reasons for going two tier at ER was to offer hospitality and corporate offerings that kicked their butt. Similarly with the fit out. Chandelies etc. They’ve been rocking the mecanno/ transformers stand during the same period.

They’ve only just come to the party. And if anything, their hospitality offering is now merely on a par with us.

Iggy Pope
10-11-2019, 04:01 PM
Is a good "hospitality and corporate offering" a selling point for a new boss?

You’ve missed the football budget bit he spoke of, so if he’s right, then probably yes, it is.

Since452
10-11-2019, 04:03 PM
Three 25 year old stands that were falling apart 20 years ago

tamig
10-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Until recently their hospitality offering was truly shocking. One of the founding reasons for going two tier at ER was to offer hospitality and corporate offerings that kicked their butt. Similarly with the fit out. Chandelies etc. They’ve been rocking the mecanno/ transformers stand during the same period.

They’ve only just come to the party. And if anything, their hospitality offering is now merely on a par with us.

I haven’t been for a while but I’ve heard from folk who have that our hospitality offering has regressed significantly.

Mick O'Rourke
10-11-2019, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately the press still get wet when it rains

Richard Gordon on Sportsound yesterday had something to say on Tynie
He stated that the broadcasting/technical facilities for them was poor

Since452
10-11-2019, 04:07 PM
Richard Gordon on Sportsound yesterday had something to say on Tynie
He stated that the broadcasting/technical facilities for them was poor

He normally swoons over them so that's saying something

Tyler Durden
10-11-2019, 04:07 PM

This seems to be a growing Hibs.net myth.

Let’s see some evidence of this?

Newry Hibs
10-11-2019, 04:08 PM
Can infrastructure mean how there is a youth, reserve,to full time set up in place with consistent coaching methods - so not actual bricks and mortar.

No idea if they have this or not.

offshorehibby
10-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Your all forgetting the chips😁

Sammy7nil
10-11-2019, 04:09 PM

They’ve only just come the party. And if anything, their hospitality offering is now merely on a par with us.

I did hospitality for Hibs St J at tynecastle it was very good and better than ER.

Iggy Pope
10-11-2019, 04:10 PM
I did hospitality for Hibs St J at Newcastle it was very good and better than ER.

Intriguing.

Sammy7nil
10-11-2019, 04:12 PM
Intriguing.

Spell check dear oh dear should say Tynecastle

Bostonhibby
10-11-2019, 04:15 PM
There's the Castle View restaurant, as well as a state of the art escalator, as well as a glass curtain.Don't mention the rusting, slippery steel steps in the megastand.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
10-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Unfortunately the press still get wet when it rainsJealous hobo, just you wait.

Now they've discovered, refined and patented the chip they're moving straight onto inventing the umbrella and they'll be the media's darlings again.

It'll be like the list of shame post putting themselves into administration to dodge their creditors never happened.

Iggy Pope
10-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Spell check dear oh dear should say Tynecastle

The first version sounded much better.

CapitalGreen
10-11-2019, 04:27 PM

The accounts of both clubs are available online.

For the year to end June 2018:

Hearts Turnover = £12.1m, £2.9m of which was commercial income.
Hibs turnover = £9.6m, Hibs don’t specify exact figure for commercial income but if we assume gate receipts and prize money are roughly the same for both clubs then the shortfall will predominantly be from commercial activities.

Maybe you should advise LD and RG it is just a myth though considering they felt the need to visit Tynecastle recently to see what they could learn from Hearts hospitality offering.

The 90+2
10-11-2019, 04:28 PM
They have a collaborative deal with Balerno High as part of the SFA performance schools. I’ve no idea about the respective academy’s though, they do seem to be making the most of their new stand more than we do also.

Cataplana
10-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Don't mention the rusting, slippery steel steps in the megastand.

All big clubs are doing it.

Jones28
10-11-2019, 04:53 PM

Hibs turnover = £9.6m, Hibs don’t specify exact figure for commercial income but if we assume gate receipts and prize money are roughly the same for both clubs then the shortfall will predominantly be from commercial activities.

Maybe you should advise LD and RG it is just a myth though considering they felt the need to visit Tynecastle recently to see what they could learn from Hearts hospitality offering.

How dyou ken that? If you were hearts would you not tell them to eff off?

The Modfather
10-11-2019, 05:00 PM

Anecdotally, I go to a referees quiz every year. It’s been at various venues but, unfortunately, at Tynecastle the last few years. I asked the guy who organises it why Tynecastle and not Easter Road. He said Hibs were considerably more expensive and the Hearts package was a better offer.

HibbySpurs
10-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Probably not as there will be things they want to learn from Hibs so it’s all about quid pro quo.

Jones28
10-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Probably not as there will be things they want to learn from Hibs so it’s all about quid pro quo.

If you’re competing for business in the same city why would you hand your playbook over to your rivals?

CapitalGreen
10-11-2019, 05:08 PM

AB said it recently at a supporters function.

Jones28
10-11-2019, 05:10 PM
AB said it recently at a supporters function.

Hmm, not doubting you’re info mate, just skeptical about her authenticity.

Onceinawhile
10-11-2019, 05:12 PM
They have a collaborative deal with Balerno High as part of the SFA performance schools. I’ve no idea about the respective academy’s though, they do seem to be making the most of their new stand more than we do also.

You say this on almost every thread and every time I see it, I point out that almost all the boys at broughton ps are signed with hibs.

Cataplana
10-11-2019, 05:12 PM
If you’re competing for business in the same city why would you hand your playbook over to your rivals?

Their core business will be supporters of the club. Hibs fans, or non football fans aren't going to have their wedding reception at Tynecastle.

Argylehibby
10-11-2019, 05:13 PM
I did hospitality for Hibs St J at tynecastle it was very good and better than ER.

My employer has hospitality at both ER and Tynecastle, those that have been to both say Hibs offering is much better than theirs. Opinions eh?

Jones28
10-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Their core business will be supporters of the club. Hibs fans, or non football fans aren't going to have their wedding reception at Tynecastle.

No of course not, but corporates are going to look for the best deal and location. I don’t think there’s much on location with either side so it’s all about the package and price.

Jones28
10-11-2019, 05:16 PM
My employer has hospitality at both ER and Tynecastle, those that have been to both say Hibs offering is much better than theirs. Opinions eh?

I had my stag at Easter road and can honestly say that nothing could have improved the experience.

We did win the league that day however.

CapitalGreen
10-11-2019, 05:18 PM

Hearts also make a lot money during the week hosting conferences and being the venue for professional exams. They also now have a permanent supporters bar open 7 days a week while our supporters bar isn’t even guaranteed to always be open on matchdays.

macca70
10-11-2019, 05:25 PM
I haven’t been for a while but I’ve heard from folk who have that our hospitality offering has regressed significantly.

Was in The Gallery 3 times last season, wasn’t too impressed and didn’t seem great value for what we paid.

You pay for a bar service til 6pm but they are very strict in stopping bar service about 5.40pm. I appreciate folk want to get home but your hassled out the door bang on 6pm. Last game of the season last year, our table had no drinks left at 5.50pm and they still hadn’t done the MOM presentation. That was done at 5.55pm, we had our coats on ready to go and no drinks left, not a great experience that we paid a premium for..

Dress code is massively varied and certainly more relaxed than what is stated. Some folk make the effort with suit or very smart but then 3 times we were there, folk had jeans, trainers, it was a minority but if they have standards they should be enforced.

Service is slow, trying to get a hold of someone to order drinks can be a challenge then you seem to wait for a while for drinks to arrive. We would normally leave a decent tip for waiting staff but last couple of times we haven’t as it’s been quite poor.

Ozyhibby
10-11-2019, 05:28 PM

A guy I know who books both facilities for his company says that theirs is a lot better than ours these days. Not so much the facilities, just the overall service and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macca70
10-11-2019, 05:29 PM
The Jambos in work seem to get a drinks package at Tynie, it’s something like £35 for season ticket holders and that’s as much drink as you like in 1 of the Suites in new main stand. That seems incredibly good value.

Jones28
10-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Was in The Gallery 3 times last season, wasn’t too impressed and didn’t seem great value for what we paid.

You pay for a bar service til 6pm but they are very strict in stopping bar service about 5.40pm. I appreciate folk want to get home but your hassled out the door bang on 6pm. Last game of the season last year, our table had no drinks left at 5.50pm and they still hadn’t done the MOM presentation. That was done at 5.55pm, we had our coats on ready to go and no drinks left, not a great experience that we paid a premium for..

Dress code is massively varied and certainly more relaxed than what is stated. Some folk make the effort with suit or very smart as they make an effort but then 3 times we were there, folk had jeans, trainers, it was a minority but if they have standards they should be enforced.

Service is slow, trying to get a hold of someone to order drinks can be a challenge then you seem to wait for a while for drinks to arrive. We would normally leave a decent tip for waiting staff but last couple of times we haven’t as it’s been quite poor.

I was in the gallery for the 5-5 game with rangers and was really disappointed. Self service Mexican buffet was chilli con carne and rice. Nothing else. £100 odd for chilli and a match ticket was poor.

Ozyhibby
10-11-2019, 05:34 PM

Their accounts show significantly higher corporate income over ours.

green day

Dress code is massively varied and certainly more relaxed than what is stated. Some folk make the effort with suit or very smart as they make an effort but then 3 times we were there, folk had jeans, trainers, it was a minority but if they have standards they should be enforced.

I dont disagree with much of that, Gallery is rubbish for the money these days, they take us for granted. Its something (one of a long list, imo) that they need to improve pronto.

On the "slow service" bit though - we always tell the waiter / tress at the beginning that there will be a good tip for them if the drinks flow liberally and that usually does the trick !!

dchibs

Was that not in the old stand.

Cataplana
10-11-2019, 05:41 PM
No of course not, but corporates are going to look for the best deal and location. I don’t think there’s much on location with either side so it’s all about the package and price.

Be interesting how much corporate business they take in. Not a good start to any event to alienate half the attendees.

green day
10-11-2019, 05:43 PM
The Jambos in work seem to get a drinks package at Tynie, it’s something like £35 for season ticket holders and that’s as much drink as you like in 1 of the Suites in new main stand. That seems incredibly good value.

Probably made up, tbh.

Although Hearts hospitality is decent these days (and better than ours) its actually quite pricey. They have multiple lounges and offerings, but nothing that cheap.

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/tickets-and-hospitality/hospitality/overview

Cataplana
10-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Hearts also make a lot money during the week hosting conferences and being the venue for professional exams. They also now have a permanent supporters bar open 7 days a week while our supporters bar isn’t even guaranteed to always be open on matchdays.

Any idea how much they make?

I know there is very little for the growing student population around Easter Road, but wouldn't have thought drinking at tge stadium would be their sort of thing.

The area is crying out for a music venue, as it stands the only place in the immediate vicinity is the Mash Tun

ancient hibee
10-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Their accounts show significantly higher corporate income over ours.

Perhaps some of it is benefactors donations.

Jones28
10-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Probably made up, tbh.

Although Hearts hospitality is decent these days (and better than ours) its actually quite pricey. They have multiple lounges and offerings, but nothing that cheap.

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/tickets-and-hospitality/hospitality/overview

Theirs are well cheaper than ours.

hibbyfraelibby
10-11-2019, 05:52 PM

They will have their DDs included in there.

Sammy7nil
10-11-2019, 05:56 PM
Was that not in the old stand.

In the stand behind the goals at the Hearts end and it was good. Bevvy included and the waiter was good at bringing beer and wine for the promise of a decent top :greengrin

Winston Ingram
10-11-2019, 05:57 PM

I’m sure that turnover includes those significant £million + donations

Hibeesmad
10-11-2019, 06:00 PM
I know that only Celtic make more revenue than Hearts through hospitality, they make roughly 5 million in revenue through it.

Cataplana
10-11-2019, 06:02 PM
I know that only Celtic make more revenue than Hearts through hospitality, they make roughly 5 million in revenue through it.

Turnover or profit?

green day
10-11-2019, 06:02 PM
Theirs are well cheaper than ours.

Their equivalent to The Gallery (with MOTM presentation etc) is £110+vat which makes it at least £10 dearer than ours which is £120 for a non ST holder...............

The 90+2
10-11-2019, 06:03 PM
You say this on almost every thread and every time I see it, I point out that almost all the boys at broughton ps are signed with hibs.

Primary School?

Is the whole point in their link up with Balerno is they cherry pick players and then put them through education at that school regardless of the catchment area?

I say it all the time because we are clearly missing out on players and furthermore we seem to pick up players unable to graduate from their academy ie Cummings Shaw and Doig.

dchibs
10-11-2019, 06:03 PM
In the stand behind the goals at the Hearts end and it was good. Bevvy included and the waiter was good at bringing beer and wine for the promise of a decent top :greengrin

ok the stand that gives a pitch view when opened up.

Iggy Pope
10-11-2019, 06:04 PM

Was it a Hibs top?

Hibeesmad
10-11-2019, 06:06 PM
Turnover or profit?

Turnover

Kojock
10-11-2019, 06:06 PM

Did you offer the waiter a Hibs top 😂

CapitalGreen
10-11-2019, 06:15 PM
I’m sure that turnover includes those significant £million + donations

The benefactor donation is listed separately in their accounts from their turnover.

Cataplana
10-11-2019, 06:23 PM
Turnover

Any idea what the bottom line is?

Barney McGrew
10-11-2019, 06:35 PM
Turnover or profit?

That’s the significant thing at the end of the day.

There was a thread a few weeks ago on the PM forum that raised this, and someone suggested part of their higher turnover may be because they keep certain things in house regarding catering and hospitality where we outsource it. If that’s the case, the Hearts will have a far higher cost base as well in terms of wages and product costs.

Edit - Hearts spent over £7m on staff costs on their last set of accounts, Hibs spent £5.3m

Kato
10-11-2019, 06:49 PM

Their rent doesn't cover use of The Oriam, I don't think they've ever used it.

Hibeesmad
10-11-2019, 06:50 PM
Any idea what the bottom line is?

Not completely sure, just got told that only Celtic generate more money and that 5 million was the amount took in.

Cataplana
10-11-2019, 06:59 PM
Not completely sure, just got told that only Celtic generate more money and that 5 million was the amount took in.

Thanks.

Keith_M
10-11-2019, 07:03 PM
I'm sure RG, if he's a half decent businessman, will have thoughts on how to improve revenue.

FWIW, I think the stadium has a lot of unfulfilled potential.

macca70
10-11-2019, 07:36 PM
I'm sure RG, if he's a half decent businessman, will have thoughts on how to improve revenue.

Spot on, the stadium seems massively under utilised.

RG has 100% come in to improve the commercial aspect of the club. You just need to see the recent vacancies on the sales side to see t has started already.

I suppose he needs to stabilise the footballing side first though, the club is very close to losing season tickets and disengaged with its fans. Since the cup win, the club has put itself in a great position to grow significantly but the last 6 months has set us back and we need to turn things back around before the fans start drifting away again.

Tyler Durden
10-11-2019, 07:38 PM

This has been discussed in detail before. Hearts would include all revenue from the club shop and catering whilst Hibs operation is outsourced. Therefore Hearts costs would be higher than Hibs to reflect that difference.

Hearts could well earn more from their commercial and hospitality. I doubt however than it’s a huge material difference that is impacting the comparative football budget. That is the myth which is peddled on here without any real clarity.

As for this visit to Tynecastle, I saw Budges comments. I would hope this will be raised at the AGM as I would expect Dempster and Ron Gordon would take issue with Budge’s comment that “we had them here to show them how things are done...”.

stantonhibby
10-11-2019, 07:40 PM

I wonder how busy that is on non match days?

Tyler Durden
10-11-2019, 07:41 PM

Dempster said as much during this weeks video. Gordon is challenging the commercial team to think about their approach. He said himself the priority is to grow our revenue and increase the footballing budget.

Look forward to seeing more detail come January

Rumble de Thump
10-11-2019, 07:44 PM
This has been discussed in detail before. Hearts would include all revenue from the club shop and catering whilst Hibs operation is outsourced. Therefore Hearts costs would be higher than Hibs to reflect that difference.

Hearts could well earn more from their commercial and hospitality. I doubt however than it’s a huge material difference that is impacting the comparative football budget. That is the myth which is peddled on here without any real clarity.

As for this visit to Tynecastle, I saw Budges comments. I would hope this will be raised at the AGM as I would expect Dempster and Ron Gordon would take issue with Budge’s comment that “we had them here to show them how things are done...”.

If anything, I think there must be a lot Dempster and Gordon can learn from the various screw ups at Hearts and the terrible failures in project management.

Peevemor
10-11-2019, 07:46 PM
It should be remembered that when we rebuilt our 2 end stands 25+ years ago, STF significantly increased the construction budget to give us hospitality, corporate & banqueting/function facilities which were seen as second to none in Scotland. This continued into the new West stand a few years later.

At the time the facilities were well used with decent occupancy rates, probably due to novelty value which has since worn off. The same novelty value from which Hearts are currently benefitting.

It could well be that they're currently doing this stuff better than us, but to suggest that we've anything to learn from budgiepuss is ludicrous. We wrote the book FFS.

Bostonhibby
10-11-2019, 07:50 PM
It should be remembered that when we rebuilt our 2 end stands 25+ years ago, STF significantly increased the construction budget to give us hospitality, corporate & banqueting/function facilities which were seen as second to none in Scotland. This continued into the new West stand a few years later.

At the time the facilities were well used with decent occupancy rates, probably due to novelty value which has since worn off. The same novelty value from which Hearts are currently benefitting.

It could well be that they're currently doing this stuff better than us, but to suggest that we've anything to learn from budgiepuss is ludicrous. We wrote the book FFS.

Aye, but they've nearly finished building one overdue and over budget single tier stand with it's many issues and farces along the way.

Jeez, I've heard so often how good they are at everything they do I'm starting to believe it[emoji849]

Tyler Durden
10-11-2019, 07:56 PM
Another thing to consider here is that the most recent accounts for both sides are year to June 2018. Which was Hibs first season back in the top division. Despite the fact that we came close to finishing 2nd, we would have budgeted for mid table. It is no surprise that Hearts wage bill would have been bigger in that season.

Since then we have sold McGinn and we’ve outstripped them in European prize money. Our football budget for last season would be near enough the same IMO. That should become clear soon enough when the accounts are available

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2019, 07:57 PM

I was there that day too, food was decent only spoilt by budgie turning up and turning the milk sour when we had coffee and biscuits. :jamboclow

cabbageandribs1875
10-11-2019, 08:00 PM

i wish they had that deal 45+ years ago, i would now be able to tell everyone i was signed by hibs in my youth :)

Is It On....
10-11-2019, 08:28 PM

Wasn't that the day before LeVain was relieved of his duties? Maybe Queen Anne was telling them that 2 years of poor results was too much time and advising on how you fire a rotten manager.

vuefrom1875
10-11-2019, 08:38 PM

Based on what?Obviously you've been there.Do tell more!.............waiting.

vuefrom1875
10-11-2019, 08:39 PM

But aye it’s a bit of myth that Hearts have managed to spin by repeating it often enough that it becomes accepted. A bit like a debt is not a debt when you owe it to yourself n all that [emoji2957]
Heriot Watt wrote of the debt!

CapitalGreen
10-11-2019, 09:30 PM
Based on what?Obviously you've been there.Do tell more!.............waiting.

Please read the rest of the thread, a number of posters have already described the differences from personal experience. Hopefully our offering will improve going forward following LD and RG’s fact-finding mission.

Deansy
10-11-2019, 09:48 PM

Think it's more likely that they've just got a decent media/PR-department !

Sammy7nil
10-11-2019, 10:06 PM
I was there that day too, food was decent only spoilt by budgie turning up and turning the milk sour when we had coffee and biscuits. :jamboclow

Yeah couldn't believe she was wandering around what was that about :greengrin

danhibees1875
10-11-2019, 10:24 PM

There was a thread a few weeks ago on the PM forum that raised this, and someone suggested part of their higher turnover may be because they keep certain things in house regarding catering and hospitality where we outsource it. If that’s the case, the Hearts will have a far higher cost base as well in terms of wages and product costs.

Edit - Hearts spent over £7m on staff costs on their last set of accounts, Hibs spent £5.3m

:agree:

As an extreme example, if I started a business selling £2 coins for £1 I'd have millions of pounds more turnover than Hibs too.

Although, on the balance of probability I do think hearts probably have a more profitable offering at the moment. How much that equates to in terms of money to spend on players I don't think anyone outwith those with sight of their trial balance will know.

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-11-2019, 10:43 PM
I was at a 50th at their new Castle view suite a couple of months ago. Absolutely no sight of the castle but the buffet was phenomenal. If hospitality has the same standard of grub then they will be eating well on match days.

NAE NOOKIE
11-11-2019, 01:32 AM
It doesnt really matter how our corporate compares to Hearts. What does matter is that Hibs try to provide the very best experience they can and from what I've seen on here it falls short of what it could and should be ... if the guy saying what was on offer for a hundred quid when he went was some chilli and a bit of rice is correct thats appalling if you ask me.

The last time ( the only time ) I was in corporate was a function in the west stand a couple of years ago and even then it looked tired and in need of a good sprucing up, especially the carpets and paintwork, I was especially surprised at the lack of Hibs artwork on the walls in the main dining area which looked nothing less than spartan. It may have changed since then, I certainly hope so. In addition to that, when I went to the bar for some drinks the girl serving called me 'pal' .... I'm no snob and it did nothing more than amuse me, but I did wonder if the folk paying £100 or whatever for an above average 'experience' would be happy for a waiter or bar staff to say 'aye, hing oan a meenut pal' as she did to me.

For me stuff like corporate, the pies and the tannoy are way down the pecking order compared to what happens on the pitch and even getting a proper standing / singing section behind the goals ..... but failure to pay attention to those things and make them as good as possible doesnt reflect well on how the club is being run.

FilipinoHibs
11-11-2019, 01:46 AM
He normally swoons over them so that's saying something

Comms often fail while he had to be in the studio.

jgl07
11-11-2019, 02:02 AM
I was at a 50th at their new Castle view suite a couple of months ago. Absolutely no sight of the castle but the buffet was phenomenal. If hospitality has the same standard of grub then they will be eating well on match days.
How did you know what the food was like if Nade got there first?

FilipinoHibs
11-11-2019, 03:20 AM

That is the wages of the players and manager etc. The catering staff could be paid a really low wage and they are able to do things more cheaply than outsourcing. Turnover is simply the sales of the company and staff costs plays no part. Profit is sales net of costs. They could generate higher sales (turnover) with higher paid staff than with outsourced staff. The quality is better and the sales are higher and they can charge a higher price. Their profit would be higher. Or they could do more cheaply in house for better quality. Turnover could be the same or higher - better tasting food at lower cost but same price. If sales stay static then profit is higher. They may be able to generate higher sales because food tastes better and have higher profits.

Hearts have higher turnover than us but the costs mainly players and managers salaries higher so their profits are lower. They tried on anonymous donations to make their accounts look better. Hibs could increase income outside season ticket sales and increase player's budget. That is a sustainable model. Hearts are partly relying on anonymous donations for their large playing budget. Not a sustainable model

cocteautwin
11-11-2019, 06:23 AM
The FoH contributions of c£1m p.a. are included in Turnover. The anonymous contributions, such as the £3.25m given in the June 2019 financial year (that arguably kept HMFC afloat when their cash balances fell to almost zero at a time when most clubs are cash rich from season ticket sales) are detailed separately in the P&L and not included in Turnover numbers.

The main reason HMFC can spend more on the pitch must be almost entirely attributable to the extraneous contributions they have received, which total a known £22.5m since Admin, rather than them being able to offer some commercial product more advanced than HFC.

southern hibby
11-11-2019, 06:46 AM
Got told last year that Hearts give Radio Forth lots of hospitality and in return get very cheap advertising on the radio. They certainly seem to advertise every home game at tiny constantly on the radio. Maybe something for us to look at.

GGTTH

bigwheel
11-11-2019, 07:10 AM
The FoH contributions of c£1m p.a. are included in Turnover. The anonymous contributions, such as the £3.25m given in the June 2019 financial year (that arguably kept HMFC afloat when their cash balances fell to almost zero at a time when most clubs are cash rich from season ticket sales) are detailed separately in the P&L and not included in Turnover numbers.

The main reason HMFC can spend more on the pitch must be almost entirely attributable to the extraneous contributions they have received, which total a known £22.5m since Admin, rather than them being able to offer some commercial product more advanced than HFC.

True. But these contributions continue..it will give them a material extra budget to us..will allow them to bring in better players

Taking the green goggles off, I’d say Hearts are emerging as a well run club off the field ..They’ve invested well in their academy and seem to have a lot more kids playing and knocking on the first team door than we have.

They are starting to get a return from their stand investment through hospitality and business meetings etc

They have had festival plays based there

They have attracted some big investment money from a few of their wealthy fan base , and their FOH activity seems to be resolute

They’ve brought up a guy from Man City to oversee their girls football . So I expect to see that progress notably

Oriam is a top notch facility..whether they rent it is pretty irrelevant..the training and gym environment is top class

We have got some great elements too..good training centre and great stadium. But the way Hearts have connected with corporate edinburgh is far better . I love Hibs , but sometimes you need to realise there is a lot to improve . Currently, there is much to do with our club

green day
11-11-2019, 08:43 AM
I actually think you both have valid points -

They have invested heavily in infrastructure and now run a setup that has significantly larger staffing costs compared to Hibs. That much of the money for this has not come from what you could call "normal income" but rather from one off donations should not be overlooked. While I expect the FoH donations to continue, the one off £Millons are not guaranteed.

Its classic Hearts really, they talk the talk about being well run and sustainable, but they simply cant operate within a normal budget - its all ego with them and has been all of my adult life.

True. But these contributions continue..it will give them a material extra budget to us..will allow them to bring in better players

Taking the green goggles off, I’d say Hearts are emerging as a well run club off the field ..They’ve invested well in their academy and seem to have a lot more kids playing and knocking on the first team door than we have.

They are starting to get a return from their stand investment through hospitality and business meetings etc

They have had festival plays based there

They have attracted some big investment money from a few of their wealthy fan base , and their FOH activity seems to be resolute

They’ve brought up a guy from Man City to oversee their girls football . So I expect to see that progress notably

Oriam is a top notch facility..whether they rent it is pretty irrelevant..the training and gym environment is top class

We have got some great elements too..good training centre and great stadium. But the way Hearts have connected with corporate edinburgh is far better . I love Hibs , but sometimes you need to realise there is a lot to improve . Currently, there is much to do with our club

I agree most of that, except the contributions and Hearts being "well run" bit - the FoH ones will continue, but you cant say that about the one off £3.5 million or whatever someone gave them. If a business needs donations just to keep the lights on, then that is not a sustainable or well run business, imo. Same as the Huns.

However on your main point I am in full agreement -

Its like Hearts run themselves as a large supermarket, whereas Hibs seem content to stay as a corner shop.

Hearts invest to stay ahead, we seem to do the bare minimum.

I do think this might change with the new guy in charge.

Ozyhibby
11-11-2019, 08:45 AM
It doesnt really matter how our corporate compares to Hearts. What does matter is that Hibs try to provide the very best experience they can and from what I've seen on here it falls short of what it could and should be ... if the guy saying what was on offer for a hundred quid when he went was some chilli and a bit of rice is correct thats appalling if you ask me.

The last time ( the only time ) I was in corporate was a function in the west stand a couple of years ago and even then it looked tired and in need of a good sprucing up, especially the carpets and paintwork, I was especially surprised at the lack of Hibs artwork on the walls in the main dining area which looked nothing less than spartan. It may have changed since then, I certainly hope so. In addition to that, when I went to the bar for some drinks the girl serving called me 'pal' .... I'm no snob and it did nothing more than amuse me, but I did wonder if the folk paying £100 or whatever for an above average 'experience' would be happy for a waiter or bar staff to say 'aye, hing oan a meenut pal' as she did to me.

For me stuff like corporate, the pies and the tannoy are way down the pecking order compared to what happens on the pitch and even getting a proper standing / singing section behind the goals ..... but failure to pay attention to those things and make them as good as possible doesnt reflect well on how the club is being run.

They also affect what is on the pitch. The revenue we are missing out on by not being as good as we can be directly affect the quality of player we can afford.

Cataplana
11-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Got told last year that Hearts give Radio Forth lots of hospitality and in return get very cheap advertising on the radio. They certainly seem to advertise every home game at tiny constantly on the radio. Maybe something for us to look at.

GGTTH

I wonder how many extra fans that advertising brings in.

A couple of years ago we were filling our ground without the need for an advert on the radio.

Caversham Green
11-11-2019, 09:22 AM

On the other hand, Hearts' other operating costs were £3.2m more than Hibs - that would suggest you're comparing apples with oranges.

Hearts wages were boosted by a donation of £1m (I believe to cover Naismith's wages), net of which their wages cost was £700k more than Hibs, but they had 116 football staff compared with Hibs 65. They also had 109 part-time hospitality staff and 50 admin and commercial staff compared with Hibs 35 commercial and admin and no hospitality staff. All that suggests that the two operations are different enough to make comparison difficult and maybe a bit dangerous.

Sioux
11-11-2019, 10:36 AM
On the other hand, Hearts' other operating costs were £3.2m more than Hibs - that would suggest you're comparing apples with oranges.

Hearts wages were boosted by a donation of £1m (I believe to cover Naismith's wages), net of which their wages cost was £700k more than Hibs, but they had 116 football staff compared with Hibs 65. They also had 109 part-time hospitality staff and 50 admin and commercial staff compared with Hibs 35 commercial and admin and no hospitality staff. All that suggests that the two operations are different enough to make comparison difficult and maybe a bit dangerous.

It is said that their hospitality income is £5m, one hell of a percentage of their business turnover, and higher than Sevco(!?). A bold statement.

Lets say over 18 home games there are 500 punters paying £150. That gives an income of £1.3m. Bear in mind the majority of fans are season ticket holders it is difficult to see many of them forking out for hospitality, even on special occasions that's personal to them. Getting to £5m seems a bit of a leap into fantasy.

Hibeesmad
11-11-2019, 11:17 AM
Ultimately the best way to make money is by winning football matches

NadeAteMyLunch!
11-11-2019, 11:38 AM
How did you know what the food was like if Nade got there first?

He can have my lunch but I draw the line with sharing my buffet with him after several pints.

Jim44
11-11-2019, 12:06 PM
Heriot Watt wrote of the debt!

I’ve said this umpteen time in the past. Heriot Watt is a publicly funded institution and had no right to write off the debt.

Cataplana
11-11-2019, 12:18 PM
I’ve said this umpteen time in the past. Heriot Watt is a publicly funded institution and had no right to write off the debt.

They must have authority to write off debts, or they couldn't operate. Think of things like unpaid fees, or fines for overdue library books.

Bostonhibby
11-11-2019, 12:40 PM
I’ve said this umpteen time in the past. Heriot Watt is a publicly funded institution and had no right to write off the debt.I think they just extended far too much credit/had their reasons for not bothering to pursue this particular debt pre administration, then ended up as just another creditor on the list of shame (?).

Biggie
11-11-2019, 01:29 PM

I can't believe they went within 100 miles of that dump. So they make a few quid.........how about Hibs looking at how other / bigger outfits maximise profit ?.....surely to goodness they could have expanded their search to top English teams or European teams to get something "different" than that mob 5 minutes away.
As for the comment from Budge.....classless bint must think she's running Real Madrid

James70
11-11-2019, 04:15 PM
Craig Beattie spouting on Sky Sports that Hearts are a bigger club than Hibs and a much more attractive option to a new manager, they just can't drop the big club/wee club thing.

Antifa Hibs
11-11-2019, 04:20 PM
Don't think its unfair to say Hearts' corporate facilities will be better than ours - the stand is 18 years newer after all. No doubt we'll get a refit in 10 years time then there's will start to look tired and ours will look new.

Regarding the rest of infrastructure I don't think it means anything. The dons have a shambles of a stadium (although personally i like the vintagey feel about the place) and were training on pitches on par with Wardie yet still managed to bag and keep hold of McInnes. Wages matter to players, coaches and managers - not bricks and mortar.

Bostonhibby
11-11-2019, 04:50 PM
Craig Beattie spouting on Sky Sports that Hearts are a bigger club than Hibs and a much more attractive option to a new manager, they just can't drop the big club/wee club thing.He must have got paid up front for his brief but significant cameo appearances before they went into administration so he probably has fonder memories than most of his time with them.

green day
11-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Craig Beattie spouting on Sky Sports that Hearts are a bigger club than Hibs and a much more attractive option to a new manager, they just can't drop the big club/wee club thing.

Jambos = always overcompensating for something.

Probably genetically smaller tadgers or something like that?

Sammy7nil
11-11-2019, 07:48 PM

I can't believe they went within 100 miles of that dump. So they make a few quid.........how about Hibs looking at how other / bigger outfits maximise profit ?.....surely to goodness they could have expanded their search to top English teams or European teams to get something "different" than that mob 5 minutes away.
As for the comment from Budge.....classless bint must think she's running Real Madrid

Unfortunately you have to compare Apple's with 🍎 apples. No point in looking at top Euro teams we are not in the same pond.

11-11-2019, 08:25 PM

That's the only things she learned about football from Levein, how to pander to the fans with snide comments about us.

At her press conference where she brought up the new Sporting Director role she said she'd spoken to various Scottish clubs for advice on how the role works. You can bet your life she'll have asked Leeann for advice about it, in fact she may well have only spoken Leeann and nobody else, but funnily enough she neglected to mention us that time and the "journalists" didn't ask her who she'd spoken to.

Kieran P, if I'm right, can you ask Leeann to drop it into the conversation next time she's talking to the media? She doesn't have to mention Ann B or Hearts, just that she was recently asked for advice about the Sporting Director role by a counterpart. :greengrin

jacomo
11-11-2019, 09:09 PM

Oh bless them can't help themselves.

Joe6-2
11-11-2019, 09:18 PM
After the bints comments I hope Dempster and Gordon have a good look at themselves, what were they thinking?

11-11-2019, 10:08 PM
After the bints comments I hope Dempster and Gordon have a good look at themselves, what were they thinking?

What really happened was that Hyacinth Budget (pronounced Budge-ay) invited them round so she could show off her new decor and they were too polite to refuse.

Davy Mac
11-11-2019, 10:54 PM

Craig ****** who?

Most of the viewers won't know who he is, we do and he is a trumpet of the highest order.

tamig
11-11-2019, 10:58 PM

A couple of years ago we were filling our ground without the need for an advert on the radio.

That sounds like some of the complacent excuses that were trotted out as a reason for folk not contributing to HSL. I think we all know what caused us to fill our ground. It wouldn’t have happened without the greatest sporting event I’ve see I’ve seen in my life.

Aldo
12-11-2019, 07:15 AM
If being the supposed bigger club means that you lived outwith your means, failed to pay local businesses for work carried out and the Lady Haig Poppy Fund then bigger you are.

Since452
12-11-2019, 08:16 AM

It's funny how only people connected to Hearts come out with nonsense like that. Was a bit surprised as cant remember him playing for them. Never heard anyone "neutral" say Hearts are bigger than Hibs. Embarrassing really. Even more embarrassing when you consider they haven't finished above us for years and attract smaller crowds. Personally i feel there is nothing between Hibs and Hearts size wise. It's like Ford and Vauxhall arguing over who is the best.

Ronniekirk
12-11-2019, 08:16 AM
That sounds like some of the complacent excuses that were trotted out as a reason for folk not contributing to HSL. I think we all know what caused us to fill our ground. It wouldn’t have happened without the greatest sporting event I’ve see I’ve seen in my life.

Anyone who was at Perth and watched the Eddie May Transformed Hibs will be raving about them and that word of mouth endorsement will ensure a Healthier crowd at next home game
It’s exciting football and goals and winning that will fill seats

Cataplana
12-11-2019, 08:28 AM

So, an advert on the radio is worth the square route of hee haw. Those Yams are sure astute when it comes to getting things for nothing then.

In exchange for free drink and nosh, they get something that is as much use as Gary MacKays trophy cabinet.

green day
12-11-2019, 08:39 AM
It's funny how only people connected to Hearts come out with nonsense like that. Was a bit surprised as cant remember him playing for them. Never heard anyone "neutral" say Hearts are bigger than Hibs. Embarrassing really. Even more embarrassing when you consider they haven't finished above us for years and attract smaller crowds. Personally i feel there is nothing between Hibs and Hearts size wise. It's like Ford and Vauxhall arguing over who is the best.

I think in the same interview he also questioned if Celtic have the bottle for the league race (or something similar).

I suppose winning every trophy since the year dot is fake news.

Clearly hes a bit of a bungalow and needs ignored.

green day
12-11-2019, 08:44 AM

GGTTH

Forth are owned by Bauer, an international media company.

If one of its local subsidiaries was selling adverts on the cheap in exchange for a few bevvies, I suspect that might contravene some of their policies on accepting gifts, not to mention the loss of income to the parent co.

tamig
12-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Forth are owned by Bauer, an international media company.

If one of its local subsidiaries was selling adverts on the cheap in exchange for a few bevvies, I suspect that might contravene some of their policies on accepting gifts, not to mention the loss of income to the parent co.
Agreed. I see they’ve been peddling one over the past few weeks for a Hogmanay bash in the legendary Castle View Lounge. £105 a head and I’m convinced it will sell out. Not without a little help from the Forth ads.

Hibs4185
12-11-2019, 10:30 AM
Whilst I’ve not listened to forth one for years, on the odd occasion it’s been on in the wife’s car etc, I’ve heard the hearts adverts.

Whilst I wouldn’t imagine many Edinburgh folk would pay attention to the adverts, there is thousands of new residents who have no affiliation to either team, and if they heard the ads then that may entice them to Tynecastle, especially party nights etc.

For what I would imagine isn’t a massive outlay, it may be worthwhile. Even if it is a few hospitality places which I would doubt, I think it’s worth paying for.

Col2
12-11-2019, 01:12 PM
Austin McPhee talking about everything from 1st team to Sporting Director role and what it should be as well as infrastructure. I tell you what he is being given a nice cost platform to get his messages across.

Ann will be impressed once she gets back from the magaluf bingo...

Ozyhibby
12-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Whilst I’ve not listened to forth one for years, on the odd occasion it’s been on in the wife’s car etc, I’ve heard the hearts adverts.

Whilst I wouldn’t imagine many Edinburgh folk would pay attention to the adverts, there is thousands of new residents who have no affiliation to either team, and if they heard the ads then that may entice them to Tynecastle, especially party nights etc.

For what I would imagine isn’t a massive outlay, it may be worthwhile. Even if it is a few hospitality places which I would doubt, I think it’s worth paying for.

There are few forms of advertising that are as effective as radio advertising.

Smartie
12-11-2019, 01:45 PM

Radio advertising can be hugely effective but you can also overdo it.

Your message becomes white noise after a while and can piss people off as much as it can actually attract them.

I suppose this differs massively depending on your message and where you are advertising it right enough.

Keith_M
12-11-2019, 02:04 PM

Your message becomes white noise after a while and can piss people off as much as it can actually attract them.

I suppose this differs massively depending on your message and where you are advertising it right enough.

Overall, though, it's probably better than no advertising at all.

danhibees1875
12-11-2019, 03:09 PM

Is that not true of any advertising? :dunno:

Hibs4185
12-11-2019, 03:23 PM

Def think the club are missing a trick. There must be thousands of people listening to the radio who are new to Edinburgh and it seems like a cheap and easy way to reach that new audience.

Maybe one for KP.

southern hibby
12-11-2019, 03:53 PM

Good question. However they also advertise hospitality, Christmas events etc etc. So as I said maybe something for us to look at.

GGTTH

Smartie
12-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Is that not true of any advertising? :dunno:

Yes, I suppose so.

We do it once every few years and it has a huge impact.

Do it too often and it is a waste of money.

I'm Spartacus
13-11-2019, 01:14 PM
The media are only jumping on the band wagon as the new stand has increased their revenue, they don't have any specific facts other than the obvious that the old mess couldn't deliver.

The only thing structure wise they have changed is their community involvement, my son went to a music group with a couple of pals for a week over the holidays that was free and he loved it.

son of haggart
13-11-2019, 01:44 PM
The media are only jumping on the band wagon as the new stand has increased their revenue, they don't have any specific facts other than the obvious that the old mess couldn't deliver.

The only thing structure wise they have changed is their community involvement, my son went to a music group with a couple of pals for a week over the holidays that was free and he loved it.

We'll have him humming the Hearts song before you know it

:devil:

I'm Spartacus
13-11-2019, 04:37 PM
We'll have him humming the Hearts song before you know it

:devil:

Dinnie, DINNIE! The wife and her mum pals are clueless.