PDA

View Full Version : St Mungo Trophy

Lancs Harp
10-11-2019, 09:39 AM
One for the Hibs anoraks this one I think.

I browse across ebay and the such like for Hibs Programmes that take my fancy and I have a little collection of Hibs home programmes from our European ties. Every now and then I come across something a little out of the ordinary and came across a programme from 1951 in the St Mungos trophy against Third Lanark, Never heard of this tournament can anyone shed any light on it?

One Day
10-11-2019, 10:12 AM
The Saint Mungo Cup was a one-off football tournament held in Glasgow, Scotland, to celebrate the 1951 Festival of Britain.[1] The competition was contested by fourteen 'Scottish Division A' clubs together with Clyde and Queens Park from 'Division B'. Celtic defeated Aberdeen 3–2 in the final in front of a crowd of 81,000 at Hampden Park.[2]

On their road to the final, Celtic had beaten Heart of Midlothian 2–1, Clyde 4–2 in a replay the day after a 4–4 draw in the quarter-finals, and Raith Rovers 3–1 in the semi-finals.[1][3] In the final, Aberdeen (who had eliminated Rangers, St Mirren and Hibernian)[1] went two goals ahead with goals from Harry Yorston in 14 minutes (Celtic goalkeeper George Hunter was injured in the process, with Bobby Evans taking over between the posts for the next 12 minutes)[2] and Tommy Bogan after 35 minutes after Hunter returned to the field. Charlie Tully changed the game in Celtic's favour in the second half, setting up two Sean Fallon goals and the winner, scored by Jimmy Walsh.[2]

The Glasgow Corporation, who had organised the tournament along with the Glasgow Football Association and provided the cup (named after Glasgow's patron saint) as their donation to the Festival of Britain, were left red-faced when the triumphant players and manager Jimmy McGrory examined the trophy and discovered that it was decorated with ornate life belts and mermaids.[4] It was revealed that the trophy was not in fact new but third-hand, having been made in 1894 as a yachting trophy,[1] then been altered for a football competition in 1912 between Provan Gas Works and a City of Glasgow Police team. Celtic at first demanded a new trophy,[4] but today the St Mungo Cup proudly takes its place in the Celtic Park trophy room.

There was also a tournament for clubs in the lower division, the St Mungo Quaich won by Dumbarton with a win over Ayr United in the final,[1] and a series of friendly matches between Scottish and English clubs, five featuring Ayr United who lost each time.[1]

Iggy Pope
10-11-2019, 12:41 PM
One for the Hibs anoraks this one I think.

I browse across ebay and the such like for Hibs Programmes that take my fancy and I have a little collection of Hibs home programmes from our European ties. Every now and then I come across something a little out of the ordinary and came across a programme from 1951 in the St Mungos trophy against Third Lanark, Never heard of this tournament can anyone shed any light on it?

I am a collector and I have a copy of this but only because it was one of a few I inherited from my Grandfather when he passed away (nearly 50 years back). It’s in a decrepit old state but it’s signed by the immortal Lawrie Reilly and I could never part with it.

The one on eBay looks in good nick and I’d imagine it will fetch a good price.

Sorry I can’t make the photo any bigger.

wookie70
10-11-2019, 12:54 PM
The Saint Mungo Cup was a one-off football tournament held in Glasgow, Scotland, to celebrate the 1951 Festival of Britain.[1] The competition was contested by fourteen 'Scottish Division A' clubs together with Clyde and Queens Park from 'Division B'. Celtic defeated Aberdeen 3–2 in the final in front of a crowd of 81,000 at Hampden Park.[2]

On their road to the final, Celtic had beaten Heart of Midlothian 2–1, Clyde 4–2 in a replay the day after a 4–4 draw in the quarter-finals, and Raith Rovers 3–1 in the semi-finals.[1][3] In the final, Aberdeen (who had eliminated Rangers, St Mirren and Hibernian)[1] went two goals ahead with goals from Harry Yorston in 14 minutes (Celtic goalkeeper George Hunter was injured in the process, with Bobby Evans taking over between the posts for the next 12 minutes)[2] and Tommy Bogan after 35 minutes after Hunter returned to the field. Charlie Tully changed the game in Celtic's favour in the second half, setting up two Sean Fallon goals and the winner, scored by Jimmy Walsh.[2]

The Glasgow Corporation, who had organised the tournament along with the Glasgow Football Association and provided the cup (named after Glasgow's patron saint) as their donation to the Festival of Britain, were left red-faced when the triumphant players and manager Jimmy McGrory examined the trophy and discovered that it was decorated with ornate life belts and mermaids.[4] It was revealed that the trophy was not in fact new but third-hand, having been made in 1894 as a yachting trophy,[1] then been altered for a football competition in 1912 between Provan Gas Works and a City of Glasgow Police team. Celtic at first demanded a new trophy,[4] but today the St Mungo Cup proudly takes its place in the Celtic Park trophy room.

There was also a tournament for clubs in the lower division, the St Mungo Quaich won by Dumbarton with a win over Ayr United in the final,[1] and a series of friendly matches between Scottish and English clubs, five featuring Ayr United who lost each time.[1] Did the GFA become the SFA

G B Young
10-11-2019, 02:12 PM
St Mungo is the patron saint of Glasgow, though not sure if that provides the rationale for naming a tournament after him.

The WEST brewery produce a lager called St Mungo which is very pleasant.

Some info here on how Hibs got on in the tournament (rather bizarrely we appear to have had to travel to Pittodrie for the semi-final replay):

http://www.scottishleague.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2360

Lancs Harp
10-11-2019, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas, much appreciated, when I stumbled across the programme on ebay I had never heard of this tournament. I've subsequently discovered we won the Third Lanark match 3-1, we then went on to beat Motherwell 3-1 before losing to Aberdeen after a replay.

Celtic beat Aberdeen in the final in front of a bumper 81,000 crowd.