PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Sense That Hecks Sacking Was A Mistake?

judas
09-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Just asking and curious.

Would / could he have turned it around?

Could we do a lot worse out there, now that we are back in the market?

Was it really fan pressure that pushed the board (rather than the footballing reasons Leanne gave in her conference)?

Since90+2
09-11-2019, 09:13 AM
Just asking and curious.

Could we do a lot worse out there now we are back in the market?

Was I really fan pressure that pushed the board (rather than the footballing reasons Leanne gave in her conference)?

No , not in the slightest.

Speedway
09-11-2019, 09:13 AM
No

Yes but we won’t

No

CallumLaidlaw
09-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Poor summer signings, no wins in the league since the opening day of the season, poor tactics when ahead in games. He’d completely lost the fans - there’s no turning that around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cataplana
It's a "no" from me. The man wasn't prepared to face his mistakes and learn lessons.

Vault Boy
Nope, and even if we don't get our next appointment right, it's still the correct decision.

1 win all season is an absolute tragedy from the football perspective, no doubt in my mind he was pushed for the right reasons.

Also I think fan pressure and football results go hand in hand.

Steve Austin
09-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Unfortunately it wasn't a mistake he had run his race?.Results we couldn't buy a win and the disconnect with support meant the board had to act sooner rather than later.

makaveli1875
09-11-2019, 09:17 AM
No they should have done it weeks ago , letting him continue for so long when it clearly wasnt working was a mistake

bigwheel
09-11-2019, 09:17 AM
By the sounds of it , LD and others are happy they made the right decision

Keith_M
09-11-2019, 09:18 AM
NO!

Hibeesmad
09-11-2019, 09:18 AM
Was the right decision to let him go. Although I do think Hecky will go on to be successful in his next role.

Bangkok Hibby
09-11-2019, 09:19 AM
Poor signings, poor tactics. Best he's gone

HH81
09-11-2019, 09:19 AM
I do find it all rather odd that he was given the cup semi final. Little chance of winning that so why not go week before but it's done now and move on.

hibbyfraelibby
09-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Robbie step away from the keyboard...

CraigHibee
09-11-2019, 09:21 AM
He had a chance to turn it around, only so much time he could be given considering where we were sitting in the league

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-11-2019, 09:21 AM
No. And now that he has gone we can't change what has happened. So let's learn, but move on.

J-C
09-11-2019, 09:22 AM
Nope,came down to results and we drew to many games, some might say we were unlucky in a couple of games but his management in other games when he reverted to a defensive set up to see games out, ultimately did it for him.

Scottie
09-11-2019, 09:22 AM
No right decision made by the club. Unfortunately he had to go.

Bostonhibby
09-11-2019, 09:23 AM
We waited too long to do it so in that sense the timing was a mistake.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2019, 09:25 AM
:tee hee: Should have gone after we'd been pumped at Ibrox, he hung about slavering week after week about how we could have done this or should have done that.

And each week he stayed he drove a wedge further and further between the fans and the club.

So to answer the question, no, no mistake just a huge relief he's gone and hopefully we get someone in who actually knows how to manage a football club of the stature of Hibs in Scotland.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Even if we get pumped 5-0 today it wasn't a mistake to "relieve him of his duties".

He was the wrong fit for our club, brought in some really sub-standard players and has set us back about 5 years. We'll never know now but I firmly believe we would have been, at the very least, involved in a relegation play off this season if he had stayed in charge.

We're not out of the woods yet but even if we still end up in the bottom two, I still don't think it was a mistake getting rid of him - if anything it came about 6-8 weeks later than it should have done.

Just_Jimmy
09-11-2019, 09:29 AM
No. Ibrox should have seen him go. Then the derby. The fact he lasted as long as he did is the mistake.

I had his card marked after he completed bottled Celtic in the cup last season. An absolutely cowardly performance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Wilson
09-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Just asking and curious.

Was it really fan pressure that pushed the board (rather than the footballing reasons Leanne gave in her conference)?

Watching Hecky's team every week reminded me of the saying about doing the same thing every week but expecting different results. We were going nowhere fast. I feel that change was necessary and the point the board acted at was when they themselves stopped waiting for signs of a turnaround.

Replacing Heck isn't the solution to all our problems by itself. Failure to win today or the new manager taking time to find his feet wouldn't mean we were wrong to act.

We weren't getting where this club needs to be so we now have the opportunity to kick start things. We've all wanted as much for a good number of weeks.

chrisski33
09-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Obviously a no and we obviously made a mistake hiring him!

jacomo
09-11-2019, 09:34 AM
Obviously a no and we obviously made a mistake hiring him!

:agree:

Couldn’t see any reasons for keeping him or expecting things to change.

So much was off: recruitment, coaching, selection, tactics, his relationship with fans and media.

The Spaceman
09-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Think there is a good manager in there and by all means well-respected by the players.

His downfall at Hibs was underestimating the standard of the Scottish Premiership by believing that decent League 2/League 1 players were more than good enough to get us to challenge for Europe.

Wouldn't surprise me if he dusted himself down and was doing well for himself in the Championship/League 1 again in a few years. That is his market and he doesn't go with any ill wishes from me. He was not the right fit for us, had lost the fans months ago, therefore best for all parties he is now gone. Onwards and upwards.

wookie70
09-11-2019, 09:38 AM
No way of knowing yet. If his successor comes in and gets us into Europe then I would concede it was probably the correct decision. If we finish 5-8 then it is debatable as that is where I would have seen us finish this season without Heck being sacked and a total waste of valuable funds. If we are lower than that then it has been incorrect decision imo. It is irrelevant now as the decision was taken and once fans turn against the manager, as they did very early with Heck, then there is very seldomly a route back. Pardue and Ferguson being a rare breed that have won disgruntled fans around but Heck never got the time to do that.

The next appointment needs to be successful as we can create a negative cycle that is hard to get out of as we are paying huge amounts in compensation. Let's hope LD gets it right as she is also, unbelievably, having questions asked about her ability and the fans may turn against her too. She clearly thinks our signings aren't as bad as made out so that suggests the next manager will have the opportunity for a few critical additions but mostly work with what we have. Maybe a few additions would have been all Heck needed. It was last season with McNulty and Omeonga

Smartie
09-11-2019, 09:42 AM
Just asking and curious.

Can I just confirm "Judas" that you are suggesting we should have shown a little bit more loyalty to our leader?

:kettle:

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2019, 09:49 AM
No way of knowing yet. If his successor comes in and gets us into Europe then I would concede it was probably the correct decision. If we finish 5-8 then it is debatable as that is where I would have seen us finish this season without Heck being sacked and a total waste of valuable funds. If we are lower than that then it has been incorrect decision imo. It is irrelevant now as the decision was taken and once fans turn against the manager, as they did very early with Heck, then there is very seldomly a route back. Pardue and Ferguson being a rare breed that have won disgruntled fans around but Heck never got the time to do that.

The next appointment needs to be successful as we can create a negative cycle that is hard to get out of as we are paying huge amounts in compensation. Let's hope LD gets it right as she is also, unbelievably, having questions asked about her ability and the fans may turn against her too. She clearly thinks our signings aren't as bad as made out so that suggests the next manager will have the opportunity for a few critical additions but mostly work with what we have. Maybe a few additions would have been all Heck needed. It was last season with McNulty and Omeonga

He did well at Barnsley for a while when a caretaker, but as soon as he recruited his own players, his team dropped down the league like a stone.

The same scenario applied at Hibs, as soon as he was able to purchase players off his own back, we eneded up With James, Vela, Newell, Jackson, Naismith and Doidge who it appears are on decent money by our terms.

None of in my opinion are any better and some much worse than we had, and we have an ageing back 4 who have all seen better days, bar Porto.

When we are bringing players in, we really need to be bringing in better quality than we have currently have, and he in my opinion cant spot a player.

Since452
09-11-2019, 09:53 AM
Im comfortable with the boards decision. In fact i commend them them on how they handled it. They gave him enough time to turn it around. Although we weren't losing games we didn't look like winning them. Change had to happen and it's good timing with January window not far away.

In years gone by would a manager have been sacked with his record? Probably not. Pleased the board don't see plodding along as acceptable these days.

Cataplana
09-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Think there is a good manager in there and by all means well-respected by the players.

His downfall at Hibs was underestimating the standard of the Scottish Premiership by believing that decent League 2/League 1 players were more than good enough to get us to challenge for Europe.

Wouldn't surprise me if he dusted himself down and was doing well for himself in the Championship/League 1 again in a few years. That is his market and he doesn't go with any ill wishes from me. He was not the right fit for us, had lost the fans months ago, therefore best for all parties he is now gone. Onwards and upwards.

Was he respected by the players? I'm sure he must have told them more than once not to drop back when they were in front, but they did that repeatedly .

Likewise what respect did Stevie Mallan show anybody every time he pretended to tackle, or ran away.

Smartie
09-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Im comfortable with the boards decision. In fact i commend them them on how they handled it. They gave him enough time to turn it around. Although we weren't losing games we didn't look like winning them. Change had to happen and it's good timing with January window not far away.

In years gone by would a manager have been sacked with his record? Probably not. Pleased the board don't see plodding along as acceptable these days.

I totally agree with this.

It's easy to say he should have gone sooner with hindsight but to sack him after Ibrox would have been ridiculously harsh.

They gave him every chance to show he had what it took to turn it around, he didn't show enough and was dealt with at the most appropriate time.

I don't want Hibs to be a club who sack their manager at the first sign of trouble as that rarely ends well, but it is correct to be decisive when all the signs suggested he wasn't going to turn it around.

Eyrie
09-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Yes, but the mistake was in the timing of it rather than the sacking.

League Cup semi or not, he should have gone after the Aberdeen game. That was long enough to judge him fairly on performances and signings this season, but also early enough to get a new manager in during the previous international break and take advantage of the three league fixtures against Hamilton, Ross County and Livingston.

green day
09-11-2019, 10:06 AM
Just asking and curious.

See under the new Hibs.net guidelines, I wonder if this should be reported for trolling?

(only a joke :greengrin)

BILLYHIBS
09-11-2019, 10:12 AM
No a Motherwell player had to stop himself from saying we are crap or words to that effect after a 0-3 loss
Lenny who does not have a plan B said the way he (PH) set us up made us easy to beat last Saturday in a national cup semifinal
He seriously underestimated our league the standard of player and the expectations of our fans and signed a load of dross that look as though they are on a jolly
Well rid!

stoneyburn hibs
09-11-2019, 10:14 AM
I don't think it was a mistake, thankfully the board finally sacked him.
I'm sure the next manager will get more out of his summer signings.

The 90+2
09-11-2019, 10:19 AM
No chance. We kept him in a job too long.

Should have went after Ibrox.
Then Motherwell.
Then the derby.

One Day Soon
09-11-2019, 10:29 AM
Absolutely not. It was obvious he wasn't right a long way back and all that kept him there was the triumph of hope over reality for a lot longer than was sensible.

WhileTheChief..
09-11-2019, 10:33 AM
I’m looking forward to the game today, first time I’ve been able to say that in a long time.

So glad the board finally acted and dealt with him.

MacGruber
09-11-2019, 10:36 AM
I think he will prove in time to be a good manager. Think he is already a good coach, too many people in the game hold him in high regard for that not to be the case.

You need more to be succesful, predominantly you need to be a good coach working with able good players.

He came in last year to good able players and got a tune out them. He was then tasked with changing the team and bringing in good players - this is where he failed. He then compounded things by not finding a shape or game plan to fit what he had - what he had given himself.

Nice guy, probably a good coach but he failed for a number of reasons. He had to go

B.H.F.C
09-11-2019, 10:37 AM

In years gone by, I think a manager who’d won 1 in 16 in the league would have been sacked, yes.

Forza Fred
09-11-2019, 10:50 AM
Just asking and curious.

1 Unlikely, but we simply could not afford to take what was an ever increasing risk, and no way would we have trusted any of his January signings if he did stay.

2 Of course we could.

3 NO, the board gave him as long as they could, but we still haven't won a league game since St Mirren, and going to Glasgow and losing 6 goals to one of the ugly sisters and 5 to the other doesn't sit well on anyone's list of achievements.

KingFranck
09-11-2019, 10:52 AM
No his time was up and his signings were very poor

Joe6-2
09-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Can I just confirm "Judas" that you are suggesting we should have shown a little bit more loyalty to our leader?

:kettle:

😂😂

FilipinoHibs
09-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Troll OP.

shetlandhibee
09-11-2019, 11:07 AM
He did well at Barnsley for a while when a caretaker, but as soon as he recruited his own players, his team dropped down the league like a stone.

The same scenario applied at Hibs, as soon as he was able to purchase players off his own back, we eneded up With James, Vela, Newell, Jackson, Naismith and Doidge who it appears are on decent money by our terms.

None of in my opinion are any better and some much worse than we had, and we have an ageing back 4 who have all seen better days, bar Porto.

When we are bringing players in, we really need to be bringing in better quality than we have currently have, and he in my opinion cant spot a player.:top marksnail on the head post:agree:

09-11-2019, 11:14 AM
I would think the board would rightly take into account his overall record at the club more than an average fan might and they wouldn't be looking on getting past Morton and Killie in the cup as not counting as wins because they weren't in 90 minutes. Nor would they completely dismiss what he did when he came in as it "was Lennon's team not his".

I think the board were right to give him a good amount of time to turn it around. There is a risk of clubs becoming known as a basket case if they repeatedly sack managers at the first sign of adversity. This can become a vicious circle because once you've got that reputation then decent managers will steer clear. There is a balance to be struck and IMO they got it about right.

Since452
09-11-2019, 11:18 AM
In years gone by, I think a manager who’d won 1 in 16 in the league would have been sacked, yes.

Lennon wasn't and he had a similar record. Or maybe he was. We still don't know lol

lucky
09-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Only mistake about Heckingbottom was giving him the job in the first place. Any guy who reckons the Scottish premiership is of the standard of the lower leagues in England should never have been near our club.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2019, 11:20 AM
No, I can't believe it was a mistake, unless we manage to appoint someone even worse! He had to go; if anything it should have been sooner.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2019, 11:26 AM
No, I can't believe it was a mistake, unless we manage to appoint someone even worse! He had to go; if anything it should have been sooner.

Even if we appoint someone who's worse I still don't think it can be described as a mistake to get rid of him.

The only way it could have been a mistake is if you think Heckingbottom would have come good. It was clear with every passing week that wasn't likely to be the case.

Nicho87
09-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Just his dross signings to go. Said on this many a time he’ll be gone by November warning signs were there first live tv cup game in betfred this season. Should never have got the job to start with

green with envy
09-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Just asking and curious.

Dearly me, have you not been reading the forum for the past few weeks?

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Even if we appoint someone who's worse I still don't think it can be described as a mistake to get rid of him.

The only way it could have been a mistake is if you think Heckingbottom would have come good. It was clear with every passing week that wasn't likely to be the case.

Very much this.

CloudSquall
09-11-2019, 11:38 AM
I think in years to come we will realise that Doidge up front on his own was revolutionary thinking that we and the rest of our League 1 standard league were just not ready for.

H18S NX
09-11-2019, 11:42 AM
Nope

09-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Just his dross signings to go. Said on this many a time he’ll be gone by November warning signs were there first live tv cup game in betfred this season. Should never have got the job to start with

Maybe we should now give the players a clean slate and give them a chance under the new guy before writing them off completely. Support the team instead of getting on their backs before they've even kicked a ball since PH left.

Squealing pig
09-11-2019, 11:48 AM
Not a chance it was a mistake

NAE NOOKIE
09-11-2019, 11:54 AM
No.

Everything Hibs did under him was at odds with his stated intentions for the team when he came in. From the word go he shat it against Celtic in the cup and there was never any sign of the high energy high pressing game he had promised. He compounded that with the signing of his own players none of whom seemed capable of playing the type of football he said he wanted to play.

He didnt fail because he couldnt deliver what we wanted, he failed because he couldnt deliver what he wantet and on top of that I think he seriously underestimated the job at hand and the league he was in ... both fatal errors. He can have no complaints.

Lets hope we get lucky with the next guy, because no matter how much due diligence the board apply there's always an element of luck in any managerial appointment.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Just asking and curious.

What do you think?

Greencore
09-11-2019, 12:08 PM
Yes,

Should have done it sooner.

Onion
09-11-2019, 12:20 PM
He could have been sacked anytime within the last 6 weeks and could have had no complaints. Football was eye bleeding, defeatist, slow and boring - with an added kick in the teeth in last 15 mins for good measure. That's the subjective stuff. Add in 1 point off bottom after 11 games, 1 win in 16 and even the stats are damning. This was an easy decision for the Board, irrespective what they say. Summer signings have been an unmitigated financial and footballing disaster. PH takes the hit for all of this, while LD tries the "nothing to see here" approach to deflect any blame away from herself and the players.

I'm not sure how the Hibs Board could have ****ed up any more if they tried.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2019, 12:23 PM
He could have been sacked anytime within the last 6 weeks and could have had no complaints. Football was eye bleeding, defeatist, slow and boring - with an added kick in the teeth in last 15 mins for good measure. That's the subjective stuff. Add in 1 point off bottom after 11 games, 1 win in 16 and even the stats are damning. This was an easy decision for the Board, irrespective what they say. Summer signings have been an unmitigated financial and footballing disaster. PH takes the hit for all of this, while LD tries the "nothing to see here" approach to deflect any blame on herself and the players.

Correct. First few games aside, it was a shambles. We are prone to making a bad appointment; let's hope the next boss is a good choice.

Weegreenman
09-11-2019, 12:25 PM
By the sounds of it , LD and others are happy they made the right decision

She also thinks we had a good transfer window and that some of the criticism of certain players has been over the top.

We’re floundering near the bottom of the league ffs!

CRAZYHIBBY
09-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Yeah i do....we will miss his attacking free flowing cutting edge football

Hibee Mac
09-11-2019, 12:31 PM
Are you having a laugh? 😂

BT58
09-11-2019, 12:41 PM
He lost the majority of fans backing, the board had to do something to try and attract the sale of half season tickets. He should have gone after Ibrox.
B

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2019, 12:43 PM
He lost the majority of fans backing, the board had to do something to try and attract the sale of half season tickets. He should have gone after Ibrox.
B

He couldn't have had any complaints. I watched that game online and it's one of the worst performances I've ever seen. We could easily have conceded double figures. From that day on each game could have been his last.

Allant1981
09-11-2019, 12:48 PM
I was backing him until a few weeks ago, from what I have heard he is a decent coach but just couldnt get good performances out of these players so the right decision was made in the end

basehibby
09-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Just asking and curious.

1) Not a hope in hell that sacking Heckingbottom was a mistake. There was every justification for sacking him on at least three prior occasions this season on the grounds of abysmal performance against his stated objectives.

2) Of course it's possible to make worse appointments - Calderwood and Butcher are two recent examples IMO - but it doesn't change the fact that Heckingbottom took Hibs backwards rather than forwards, was given every chance to turn it round and failed.

3) Fan pressure possibly played a part but I would hope that the board would have been on the same page as the fans anyway having watched the same series of poor results with their own eyes.

Crab apple
09-11-2019, 01:50 PM
Nope. Best decision LD has made in months. Shouldn’t have been appointed and when it was obviously not working he should have been punted.

Paisley Hibby
09-11-2019, 01:53 PM
He could have been sacked anytime within the last 6 weeks and could have had no complaints. Football was eye bleeding, defeatist, slow and boring - with an added kick in the teeth in last 15 mins for good measure. That's the subjective stuff. Add in 1 point off bottom after 11 games, 1 win in 16 and even the stats are damning. This was an easy decision for the Board, irrespective what they say. Summer signings have been an unmitigated financial and footballing disaster. PH takes the hit for all of this, while LD tries the "nothing to see here" approach to deflect any blame away from herself and the players.

Sad but true.

Crab apple
09-11-2019, 01:57 PM

Top post. LD can’t afford to get the next choice wrong.

mutley
09-11-2019, 02:31 PM
The only mistake was that is wasn’t soon enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

steakbake
09-11-2019, 02:46 PM
100% no.

Leith Green
09-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Clearly.....

Fife-Hibee
09-11-2019, 02:50 PM
Nah, i'm not really getting that sense tbh.

BILLYHIBS
09-11-2019, 03:02 PM
St Johnstone 0 v 2 HIBS HT

Doidge 2

Eddie May has gone with Doidge and Flo upfront something that many posters on here were screaming for and he has obviously told the players to go out express and enjoy themselves and most of all play football

GreenLake
09-11-2019, 03:05 PM
3 nil up suggests the players are more relieved than us.

ekhibee
09-11-2019, 03:08 PM
3-0 Hibs at McDiarmid, anybody who thinks sacking Heckingbottom was a mistake needs urgent medical attention.

CathroMustStay
09-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Haha mistake, good one.

Ryan91
09-11-2019, 03:12 PM
I appreciate that this thread is quite literally 6 hours old, and I hate to say it...but...this aged well.

WestCoastHibby
09-11-2019, 03:15 PM
No no no

Look forward not back

supermcginn
09-11-2019, 03:24 PM
😂😂

James70
09-11-2019, 03:25 PM
How could he not see what all the fans could see?

SideBurns
09-11-2019, 03:25 PM
One thing I said about Hecky was he could spot a striker. Ah mean, I didn't say it aloud but definitely did in ma heid. Once again, I've been proved right.

Jack Hackett
09-11-2019, 03:33 PM
One thing I said about Hecky was he could spot a striker. Ah mean, I didn't say it aloud but definitely did in ma heid. Once again, I've been proved right.

He could spot one, but then sent them out with their boots on the wrong feet

Speedy
09-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Hecky in

SideBurns
09-11-2019, 03:37 PM
He could spot one, but then sent them out with their boots on the wrong feet

Oh aye, that would explain it.

A Hi-Bee
09-11-2019, 03:54 PM
only mistake was it took so lof him

Tobias Funke
09-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Nut.

emerald green
09-11-2019, 04:01 PM
There's no doubt it was the correct decision to let Heck go.

IMHO he should have gone after the Hearts fiasco.

Leith Green
09-11-2019, 04:16 PM
He really did get himself the sack. Things that were blatantly obvious were just ignored by the clown

Hi Heid Yin
09-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Just asking and curious.

Absolutely not a mistake to sack him.

His teams were inhibited, riddled with doubt and fear and set up to contain rather than have a go at opponents - a reflection of his mind-set.

I felt a palpable relief when I heard he'd gone.

Deansy
09-11-2019, 04:45 PM
1-4 win away from home and, just as important, a performance that's delighted the fans - NO - no mistake whatsoever !

Squirrel 1875
09-11-2019, 05:09 PM
Wonder how the lad is feeling tonight. The difference today was stunning.

Radium
09-11-2019, 05:25 PM
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gazzag70
09-11-2019, 05:35 PM
Does anyone sense Heck’s would have got that result today? Eh let me think................NO!

eastmainsmsh
09-11-2019, 05:36 PM
he was master of his own downfall too stubborn to change things when everyone could see what was wrong

esjorto
09-11-2019, 05:37 PM
There's no doubt it was the correct decision to let Heck go.

IMHO he should have gone after the Hearts fiasco.this

:flag:Agree with this.

Baldy Foghorn
09-11-2019, 06:33 PM
he was master of his own downfall too stubborn to change things when everyone could see what was wrong

Yip, low and behold we change to what we can all see, and win 4-1, it's not rocket science

Is It On....
09-11-2019, 07:11 PM
😂😂😂

Edinburgh Comedy Festival finished in August or are you trying out new material for next year?

ionahibby
09-11-2019, 07:15 PM
To be honest I was unsure sacking Heckingbottom was the right idea, I just didn’t see how all of a sudden we would improve. Even I have to admit it was night and day the performance today especially Doidge so sacking Heckingbottom was the right decision.

Alfred E Newman
09-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Scott Allan said we were set up to attack today. There you have it!

PaulSmith
09-11-2019, 07:27 PM
Yip, low and behold we change to what we can all see, and win 4-1, it's not rocket science

The mistakes were not understanding his football philosophy before appointing him, not taking him to one side and telling him it’s not working and then not binning him 4 weeks ago.

It’s history now but it cannot be allowed to happen again under the stewardship of this same regime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Onion
09-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Wonder what PH thought of today's result ?

Saw it coming and would have happened anyway with him in charge ?
Set up to attack paid dividends ?
Players weren't really playing for him ?
Lucky at last ?

Bottom line, must be galling for him to see us bag a great away win against our bogey team, and our misfiring striker hit a treble.

scooby
09-11-2019, 08:08 PM
No mistake, he was the master of his own downfall.
So glad he's gone.

tamig
09-11-2019, 09:08 PM
No mistake, he was the master of his own downfall.
So glad he's gone.

Exactly. The guys genuinely played with a bit of freedom today. Guys widely castigated on here looked like players. Enough said.

scooby
09-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Exactly. The guys genuinely played with a bit of freedom today. Guys widely castigated on here looked like players. Enough said.

I thought that Flo's choice of words in his post match interview were very telling, Hecky clearly over complicated the beautiful game.

Sammy7nil
09-11-2019, 09:54 PM
To be honest I was unsure sacking Heckingbottom was the right idea, I just didn’t see how all of a sudden we would improve. Even I have to admit it was night and day the performance today especially Doidge so sacking Heckingbottom was the right decision.

Scott Allan said we were set up to attack today. There you have it!

I thought that Flo's choice of words in his post match interview were very telling, Hecky clearly over complicated the beautiful game.

Agree with them all he had to go.

Hibbyradge
09-11-2019, 10:52 PM
WGA should have gone a long time ago.

It's been obvious for months that he was clueless.

Diclonius
09-11-2019, 11:57 PM
Just asking and curious.

https://i.imgur.com/HtsnzNI.png

monktonharp
10-11-2019, 12:37 AM
nope

Cataplana
10-11-2019, 06:40 AM
Wonder how the lad is feeling tonight. The difference today was stunning.

Wonder what PH thought of today's result ?

Saw it coming and would have happened anyway with him in charge ?
Set up to attack paid dividends ?
Players weren't really playing for him ?
Lucky at last ?

Bottom line, must be galling for him to see us bag a great away win against our bogey team, and our misfiring striker hit a treble.

I don't think he'll admit it had anything to do with him, the man doesn't learn.

where'stheslope
10-11-2019, 11:16 AM
I don't think he'll admit it had anything to do with him, the man doesn't learn.
He'll probably point to the fact it was the same players he was using, except this time they tried!!!!!

judas
10-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Yep. Pretty unequivocal response there. Many thanks to all contributors.

Someone asked me if my post meant that I harboured doubts and my honest answer would have to be, yes

Not because I thought Heck was doing a good job, but more because I was concerned about the calibre of replacement that may arrive.

I thought the players made the effort but that it was mis-directed by Heck. Sadly I’ve seen managers at Hibs who have failed to get any commitment from their players AND misdirected them.

Yesterday’s result certainly suggested that some of Hecks signings might not be that poor after all, on the other hand Eddie played Hibs in a way that Heck couldn’t see fit to do and the result was exceptional.

Sir David Gray
10-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Yep. Pretty unequivocal response there. Many thanks to all contributors.

Someone asked me if my post meant that I harboured doubts and my honest answer would have to be, yes

Not because I thought Heck was doing a good job, but more because I was concerned about the calibre of replacement that may arrive.

I thought the players made the effort but that it was mis-directed by Heck. Sadly I’ve seen managers at Hibs who have failed to get any commitment from their players AND misdirected them.

Yesterday’s result certainly suggested that some of Hecks signings might not be that poor after all, on the other hand Eddie played Hibs in a way that Heck couldn’t see fit to do and the result was exceptional.

Just because you have doubts that we might not hire a good replacement, doesn't mean it was a mistake to sack Heckingbottom though. It just means that we may need to review who does the hiring of the managers.

We were on course for relegation under Heckingbottom, the atmosphere amongst the support at games was dreadful and there surely can't be any regrets about getting rid of him.

It's a bit like leaving a job that you absolutely hated, it made you unhappy every day that you were there and you dreaded turning up for every shift. If you move to a new job that you also end up disliking, I don't think it means you have made a mistake leaving your old job, you just need to take more care in selecting a better job in the future.

Baader
10-11-2019, 04:11 PM
The only mistake was that he should have been emptied earlier. Heckingbottom can have no complaints. He was backed financially and given time. He did not learn from his mistakes and criminally underestimated the league.