PDA

View Full Version : Announcement Our Approach to Online Behaviour

HNA4
08-11-2019, 06:11 PM
Hello All,

In light of the unfortunate circumstances surrounding Tracey Smith’s resignation as from her role as Fans Representative on the Hibs Board, we felt this would be a good time to review how we operate here.

Several of you have mentioned in posts and told us directly that you find hibs.net to be a less friendly place than before. – we hear you.

Going forward we will be applying the existing rules more robustly to ensure that Hibs.net continues to be the friendly, inclusive site we all want it to be. We will do this in the following ways:

• By shoring up our zero-tolerance attitude to abusive, insulting or aggressive behaviours. Members found to be breaching these behaviours will be banned, without exception. These include personal insults, racism, sexism, homophobia and threats.
• We have been guilty of hesitance when it comes to dealing with posters who are clearly only here to wind others up. From now on, anybody who we feel is only here to troll the forums or antagonise other members will be swiftly removed. Fewer second chances on this front.
• Whilst we rarely see the kind of vitriolic abuse directed at individual club personalities that appears on social media sites, we have recently had to remove some posters that have overstepped the mark and we will continue to monitor this with vigilance.

We recognise that the vast majority of our users are Hibs fans who simply want to connect with others in the community, share their thoughts and experiences, and have some fun whilst doing it. When we look at equivalent forums for other British football teams, it’s safe to say that Hibs.net is one of the best groups out there, but it’s vitally important that we do our utmost to retain what we do well, whilst improving the areas in which we fall short.

It is at this point that we’d also like to call on you, fellow members of Hibs.net, to help us along the way – with our site rules and community guidelines in mind, please do use the report function to flag up posts that you feel go against these values.

We do review every report, this fact isn’t always communicated, but it’s true. The report function is there to allow our community to hold each other accountable and we should have been putting a spotlight on this more often. No one other than the admin team will see any reports that you send, be they forum posts or private messages, so please don’t hesitate to flag these to us.

Finally, we’d like to thank you all for making Hibs.net the vibrant, entertaining and friendly place that it so often is. There’s a significant period of change happening at the club currently and we want Hibs.net to be your favourite place to read and discuss all the news that comes along with that.

Best wishes,

The Hibs.net Admin Team

04Sauzee
08-11-2019, 06:14 PM
Can this be made a sticky, woukd hate to see this getting lost on page 2 after a day or 2.

Sammy7nil
08-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Don't disagree with the policy however this is a great site and there really is very little abusive or threatening posts. I hope the Admins still allow a bit of "banter" or it could become a very dull site. Good luck Admins i don't envy your job.

hibsbollah
08-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Great call admins, let's lead by example :aok:. Sticky please.

Pretty Boy
08-11-2019, 06:30 PM
Don't disagree with the policy however this is a great site and there really is very little abusive or threatening posts. I hope the Admins still allow a bit of "banter" or it could become a very dull site. Good luck Admins i don't envy your job.

I don't think anyone wants to see an end to banter or even robust and 'heated' debate. It's all about making sure we keep things on the right side of the line. 99% of the time that happens anyway and self policing is very good on here.

It's never easy when we are rubbish because a lot of people want a moan, some take it too far and others then react to that it all becomes a bit antagonistic and silly. If we, as admins, keep on top of the really bad stuff, everyone takes a few seconds to think before they post and we all show respect to each other then this place becomes a far more pleasant place to spend time.

Hibernia&Alba
08-11-2019, 06:37 PM

Fair point, and I'm sure the admins can distinguish a joke from something more sinister; though it isn't an easy role, as you say. In my time on here, I've literally only seen a couple of posts that were threatening; personal insults much more, though not common. Trolling is perhaps the biggest issue, but it's a matter of judgement regarding what qualifies as trolling. Overall I find .net a friendly and welcoming place, with the vast majority of posters here for the right reasons. Bigotry is easier to identify and must be non-negotiable in all forms.

Compared to some football message boards I've read, .net is well behaved, but sometimes disagreements are taken too far in the heat of the moment.

Silversand
08-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Well said admins.

I'm thinking it's worse on other social media compared with .net (Facebook I'm looking at you) but good that we're trying to keep things calm on here.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
08-11-2019, 07:10 PM
100% agree

Vault Boy
08-11-2019, 07:15 PM
By the way we'll make this sticky after plenty have had a chance to see it. :aok:

Since452
08-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Agree. Hopefully we all take note

One Day Soon
08-11-2019, 07:27 PM
Admin pricks do a great job on here in my view and some debates must be quite hard to police when heated because generally I think they are honest disagreements rather than anything more personal, but from time to time it's clear there is also an 'edge'. I also think most posters police themselves pretty well. I know I've locked horns from time to time and been conscious when a sparring partner has toned it down or stepped back a bit.

Is there any infraction system at work - a kind of three strikes and you're out approach?

Hibby Gav
08-11-2019, 07:30 PM
:top marks

ggtth

Jay
08-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Admin pricks do a great job on here in my view and some debates must be quite hard to police when heated because generally I think they are honest disagreements rather than anything more personal, but from time to time it's clear there is also an 'edge'. I also think most posters police themselves pretty well. I know I've locked horns from time to time and been conscious when a sparring partner has toned it down or stepped back a bit.

Is there any infraction system at work - a kind of three strikes and you're out approach?

And we have a winner! First thing to be clamped down in is this very very old joke. Its not funny and totally disrespectful.

Yes theres an infraction system

People can also report private messages if you feel they are abusive in any way.

One Day Soon
08-11-2019, 07:34 PM
And we have a winner! First thing to be clamped down in is this very very old joke. Its not funny and totally disrespectful.

Yes theres an infraction system

People can also report private messages if you feel they are abusive in any way.

Are you serious? It's funny, gentle, affectionate and entirely respectful.

Jay
08-11-2019, 07:35 PM

Im serious its not funny ten years after the event most people dont even know what the joke was . Its time to put it to bed .

J-C
08-11-2019, 07:38 PM
Can't argue with any of that :aok:

One Day Soon
08-11-2019, 07:40 PM
How does the infraction system work?

ALF TUPPER
08-11-2019, 07:44 PM
Well done admins 👍🏻

Scouse Hibee
08-11-2019, 07:46 PM
100% agree with the OP statement, keep up the great work it’s very much appreciated.

Brightside
08-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Great stuff.

Captain Trips
08-11-2019, 07:49 PM
In principle 100%. However what if something per say is aimed at me I don't find offensive but admins do?

The 90+2
08-11-2019, 07:50 PM
Reminds me of the right to sensor.

Seriously though I’m in full agreement.

Keith_M
08-11-2019, 07:53 PM
I'm in favour of the principle of what you're trying to do but I'm a bit worried that there are some Admins that quite clearly have a completely different viewpoint on what constitutes "banter" or "humour".

Vault Boy
08-11-2019, 07:54 PM
In principle 100%. However what if something per say is aimed at me I don't find offensive but admins do?

It's really about consistency CT. If it's something you're not offended by, but there's a reasonable chance that others would be, we'd take action to prevent the offending poster from doing it to others.

Something that's clearly a joke between friends and doesn't infringe upon other users/fans/members of the club won't be an issue.

The 90+2
08-11-2019, 07:55 PM
I'm in favour of the principle of what you're trying to do but I'm a bit worried that there are some Admins that quite clearly have a completely different viewpoint on what constitutes "banter" or "humour".

Probably best not to post anything that could offend others on the forum, including the admin I suppose.

Jay
08-11-2019, 07:55 PM

Id like to think we all know what abuse is. Thats what we are talking about here

Vault Boy
08-11-2019, 07:56 PM

We make decisions together! We wanted to reinforce the site principals in order to ensure we're all pulling in the same direction.

There's nothing to worry about Keith. 👍

Keith_M
08-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Id like to think we all know what abuse is. Thats what we are talking about here

I completely back clamping down on abuse.

:aok:

Jay
08-11-2019, 07:59 PM
I completely back clamping down on abuse.

:aok:

We are in agreement then. Im all for banter and humour too.

Wilson
08-11-2019, 08:04 PM

Not really. Are we no longer allowed to describe a player as "brutal" for example. I mean if you genuinely feel that that is an apt description?

It isn't racist, homophobic, or sexist. Extreme maybe.

I have seen posters who I would describe as overly sensitive calling for posters to be banned for describing players that way.

The lines become blurred. People will not post their honest opinion or you'll ban people whose opinions are at the wrong extreme. The site would be poorer for it.

hibee_girl
08-11-2019, 08:06 PM
Not really. Are we no longer allowed to describe a player as "brutal" for example. I mean if you genuinely feel that that is an apt description?

I have seen posters who I would describe as overly sensitive calling for posters to be banned for describing players that way.

The lines become blurred. People will not post their honest opinion or you'll ban people whose opinions are at the wrong extreme. The site would be poorer for it.

Think you’re fine to call players brutal unless that said player is on here and complains to us :greengrin

Pretty Boy
08-11-2019, 08:07 PM

No one is going to be banned for calling a player 'brutal'. That's exactly the kind of thing that can, and should, be sorted by self policing and debate.

I'm sure people can apply a bit common sense when it comes to reporting posts and so on.

Vault Boy
08-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Think you’re fine to call players brutal unless that said player is on here and complains to us :greengrin

Exactly, think you're safe there.

FWIW I think the post is clear about the approach. The rules are already in place, we've just outlined how we plan to enforce them more effectively.

Wilson
08-11-2019, 08:09 PM
No one is going to be banned for calling a player 'brutal'. That's exactly the kind of thing that can, and should, be sorted by self policing and debate.

I'm sure people can apply a bit common sense when it comes to reporting posts and so on.

Thanks both for the replies.

danhibees1875
08-11-2019, 08:12 PM

Or if it's Stevenson? :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
08-11-2019, 08:14 PM
Especially glad to see the clampdown on the blatant trolling. I reported a user multiple times over the couse of a year or so and nothing was done about it until very recently when they were banned. It was so painfully obviously and almost all of their posting was trying to wind people up.

Been on here 10 years now and had many arguments but never felt the need to personally abuse people, even when I was just a daft laddie when I joined. (I'm sure someone will find a post now where I've been out of order :greengrin )

Definitely a positive change for this place. I was a big opponent to the abuse our players and staff were receiving.

hibee_girl
08-11-2019, 08:15 PM
Or if it's Stevenson? :greengrin

I’ll be personally banning anyone who dares to criticise Stevenson! :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
08-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Amen. Peace out.

I hate that tired expression for admins - have no idea where it originated. sent mixed messages so glad the sun has set on that.

lord bunberry
08-11-2019, 08:26 PM
Good news. I’ve never been offended by anything I’ve read on here, but I’ve found the forum to be less enjoyable lately. Replies like are you on crack etc to someone giving their opinion is just unnecessary. I’m old enough to remember life before Internet forums and I have a rule that I wouldn’t say something online that I wouldn’t say face to face. I’d hate this place to become a sanitised boring forum that doesn’t allow passionate opinions to be expressed, but it shouldn’t ever become personal.

1 8 7 5
08-11-2019, 08:47 PM
Hopefully people wont get banned without them having the chance to apologise. As a new poster, i find this site pretty tame, and dont see much nonsense at all. There does seem a few more established posters who like to get into heated debate with the same people regardless of the topic:greengrin

This is a great Hibs site, and fully of radges of all sorts :agree: Hope it doesnt change too much!

The admins appear to do a relatively good job here, and has been mentioned previously, there is good self policing on this site.

Percy Vere
08-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Hello All,

In light of the unfortunate circumstances surrounding Tracey Smith’s resignation as from her role as Fans Representative on the Hibs Board, we felt this would be a good time to review how we operate here.

Several of you have mentioned in posts and told us directly that you find hibs.net to be a less friendly place than before. – we hear you.

Going forward we will be applying the existing rules more robustly to ensure that Hibs.net continues to be the friendly, inclusive site we all want it to be. We will do this in the following ways:

• By shoring up our zero-tolerance attitude to abusive, insulting or aggressive behaviours. Members found to be breaching these behaviours will be banned, without exception. These include personal insults, racism, sexism, homophobia and threats.
• We have been guilty of hesitance when it comes to dealing with posters who are clearly only here to wind others up. From now on, anybody who we feel is only here to troll the forums or antagonise other members will be swiftly removed. Fewer second chances on this front.
• Whilst we rarely see the kind of vitriolic abuse directed at individual club personalities that appears on social media sites, we have recently had to remove some posters that have overstepped the mark and we will continue to monitor this with vigilance.

We recognise that the vast majority of our users are Hibs fans who simply want to connect with others in the community, share their thoughts and experiences, and have some fun whilst doing it. When we look at equivalent forums for other British football teams, it’s safe to say that Hibs.net is one of the best groups out there, but it’s vitally important that we do our utmost to retain what we do well, whilst improving the areas in which we fall short.

It is at this point that we’d also like to call on you, fellow members of Hibs.net, to help us along the way – with our site rules and community guidelines in mind, please do use the report function to flag up posts that you feel go against these values.

We do review every report, this fact isn’t always communicated, but it’s true. The report function is there to allow our community to hold each other accountable and we should have been putting a spotlight on this more often. No one other than the admin team will see any reports that you send, be they forum posts or private messages, so please don’t hesitate to flag these to us.

Finally, we’d like to thank you all for making Hibs.net the vibrant, entertaining and friendly place that it so often is. There’s a significant period of change happening at the club currently and we want Hibs.net to be your favourite place to read and discuss all the news that comes along with that.

Best wishes,

The Hibs.net Admin Team

Good call.
Banter and healthy debate is great but I’ve found the forum quite a frosty place during the PH months. To the point of just avoiding it due to the vitriol
And unpleasantness.
Welcome post.

iwasthere1972
08-11-2019, 09:16 PM
Well done. Bad enough having to put up with the football and the results we've suffered for months but all the abuse and countless moaning threads really deters me from coming on here. It's the usual culprits from what I can see but I wouldn't get drawn into it.

Brightside
08-11-2019, 09:21 PM

Paul says it’s not fine. 😂

Vault Boy
08-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Paul says it’s not fine. 😂

:greengrin

Sir David Gray
08-11-2019, 09:24 PM

I've always thought that term was taken as the light hearted joke that it's intended to be but perhaps not. There's a fine line between good natured humour or banter and malicious abuse and I certainly don't agree with the latter in any walk of life.

Hopefully it will be enforced sensibly and those who have crossed the line will think twice about their actions going forward.

I certainly wouldn't like to see anyone face the level of abuse that Tracey Smith obviously has.

CyberSauzee
08-11-2019, 09:28 PM
Probably best not to post anything that could offend others on the forum, including the admin I suppose.

That's nanny state thinking.

What needs pointing out is the difference polemic and what's not. Too many admins (and some long time posters) on here are too sanctimonious for me - if your opinion is different, then you are wrong and that's it.

As long as the individual is not attacked then open debate should be encouraged.

Remember, you may not like it, but it's just someone's opinion. If you don't like it, switch off your internet.

McD
08-11-2019, 09:30 PM
Agree with this approach.

admins do a great job of managing a difficult balance on here, especially when the team are struggling which leaves all of us frustrated, looking for a release and probably a lot more touchy than normal.

cheers for all your hard work folks, it’s greatly appreciated :aok:

matty_f
08-11-2019, 09:32 PM
That's nanny state thinking.

What needs pointing out is the difference polemic and what's not. Too many admins (and some long time posters) on here are too sanctimonious for me - if your opinion is different, then you are wrong and that's it.

As long as the individual is not attacked then open debate should be encouraged.

Remember, you may not like it, but it's just someone's opinion. If you don't like it, switch off your internet.

Open debate is encouraged and at the risk of proving the point (:greengrin) I'd love to see an example of where an admin has told someone they're wrong and that was that.

SteveHFC
08-11-2019, 09:39 PM
Are we still aloud to post this :hyper

danhibees1875
08-11-2019, 09:40 PM

No, you need to do it quietly. :wink:

wpj
08-11-2019, 09:40 PM
Debate is healthy
Abuse is unhealthy
Trolling is sad and pathetic but a product of the times unfortunately, we, Hibernian fans need to try to be better than that. All of course IMHO 👍

Vault Boy
08-11-2019, 09:41 PM

Only when a Celtic striker who shall not be named is given a mention on a Greggs thread. :wink:

The 90+2
08-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Well done. Bad enough having to put up with the football and the results we've suffered for months but all the abuse and countless moaning threads really deters me from coming on here. It's the usual culprits from what I can see but I wouldn't get drawn into it.

At the same time, more established members coming out with “this is exactly why I don’t post anymore” when someone posts a thread is also abusive and a slyer, more damaging way of saying they don’t agree with a post or the person is talking rubbish. Think how it makes someone feel to read that something they post is making others not visit the site.

The 90+2
08-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Only when a Celtic striker who shall not be named is given a mention on a Greggs thread. :wink:

Ex Celtic striker who’s surname sounds a bit similar to fireman and I would agree 😁

Hibbyradge
08-11-2019, 09:45 PM
I don't think there has been anything untoward on hibs.net that requires a change in approach, to be honest.

I don't see people being bullied and although there are sometimes questionable attitudes expressed by some, particularly on the Holy Ground, it's always within a respectable boundary.

For example, the admin pricks thing might be annoying to some, and it might be an old gag, but it's not said seriously or with any malice.

"Lol he's going to pump" her is older but it's still a good line if it's timed well so age is irrelevant.

I wholeheartedly agree that online abuse and bullying is abhorrent and steps should be taken to stop it, but gentle fun, and robust arguments, make this site what it is.

Vault Boy
08-11-2019, 09:54 PM
I don't think there has been anything untoward on hibs.net that requires a change in approach, to be honest.

I don't see people being bullied and although there are sometimes questionable attitudes expressed by some, particularly on the Holy Ground, it's always within a respectable boundary.

For example, the admin pricks thing might be annoying to some, and it might be an old gag, but it's not said seriously or with any malice.

"Lol he's going to pump" her is older but it's still a good line if it's timed well.

I wholeheartedly agree that online abuse and bullying is abhorrent and steps should be taken to stop it, but gentle fun, and robust arguments, make this site what it is.

I understand why some folk want to ensure that the more light hearted elements of the site are retained, and we can assure you that these aren't under threat HR.

This is maybe a good time to mention that some of the more untoward things on here get reported and removed from here pretty swiftly, but it certainly does happen on occasion.

As reflected in the post, I think we're in agreement that the conduct on Hibs.net is above average when compared to other online spaces, but when we reflect on Tracey's experiences, it's important that we always strive to do better. It can't hurt to have a refresher every once in a while, and I think it's also good for us all to be able to hold each other accountable, to prevent there being more Hibbies who go through a similar experience to Tracey.

I'm glad you haven't seen these behaviours on Hibs.net though HR, it's just about making sure it stays that way. :aok:

easty
08-11-2019, 10:01 PM
I’ve only read the opening post, so dunno if it’s been spoken about already, but I disagree a lot.

I don’t think there is a lot of abuse, I’d say there’s very little. For me, people in general are far too quick to take offence to any old **** recently.

One Day Soon
08-11-2019, 10:04 PM

"Lol he's going to pump" her is older but it's still a good line if it's timed well so age is irrelevant.

The Holy Ground is now, to me, the equivalent of the old Dundee Arms or 'Vietnam' as it - too - was affectionately known. I will miss the APs references, I thought they were actually unambigously deferential to the the admins. I must admit I'm pretty amused by thought of the admins collectively sitting down to discuss the new era of .net detente and getting to that particular point on the agenda.

You make an important point though, humour is pretty subjective so the administrator persons could be quite busy...

Vault Boy
08-11-2019, 10:07 PM
I’ve only read the opening post, so dunno if it’s been spoken about already, but I disagree a lot.

I don’t think there is a lot of abuse, I’d say there’s very little. For me, people in general are far too quick to take offence to any old **** recently.

It doesn't say there's a lot of abuse, so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.

A board member stepped down this week due to harrassment. We're reiterating the important of our rules and guidelines.

I suggest you read it again!

Hibbyradge
08-11-2019, 10:10 PM
I understand why some folk want to ensure that the more light hearted elements of the site are retained, and we can assure you that these aren't under threat HR.

This is maybe a good time to mention that some of the more untoward things on here get reported and removed from here pretty swiftly, but it certainly does happen on occasion.

As reflected in the post, I think we're in agreement that the conduct on Hibs.net is above average when compared to other online spaces, but when we reflect on Tracey's experiences, it's important that we always strive to do better. It can't hurt to have a refresher every once in a while, and I think it's also good for us all to be able to hold each other accountable, to prevent there being more Hibbies who go through a similar experience to Tracey.

I'm glad you haven't seen these behaviours on Hibs.net though HR, it's just about making sure it stays that way. :aok:

I agree.

I wouldn't like to see someone being banned because of a single, out of character, remark, but it's good to reiterate that there are lines which shouldn't be crossed.

hibsbollah
08-11-2019, 10:15 PM

Just 'be excellent to each other' as Bill and Ted used to say, and I'm sure you will have nothing to worry about. Now away and fling ***** at yersel' :greengrin

One Day Soon
08-11-2019, 10:15 PM
It doesn't say there's a lot of abuse, so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.

A board member stepped down this week due to harrassment. We're reiterating the important of our rules and guidelines.

I suggest you read it again!

I did not know who she was or that she had experienced any abuse or that she had resigned until I saw a thread title on here. However I don't do Facebook because I think its a river of low grade madness or Twitter now because it seems a hate fest, so perhaps that's where the abuse was taking place? Was she abused on .net too?

Sir David Gray
08-11-2019, 10:25 PM

Agreed. I was quite surprised to see a strong response to the bit in bold but then i'm not the one who's the butt of that particular "joke" so maybe I'm wrong.

Your last paragraph sums things up perfectly for me.

H113EE5
08-11-2019, 10:43 PM
Just need to get rid of some of these ********* in the crowd.

Captain Trips
08-11-2019, 10:45 PM
It's really about consistency CT. If it's something you're not offended by, but there's a reasonable chance that others would be, we'd take action to prevent the offending poster from doing it to others.

Something that's clearly a joke between friends and doesn't infringe upon other users/fans/members of the club won't be an issue.

I understand this but IMO action should only be taken if a complaint is made and then review what was said. If I get it tight over an opinion but I do not feel it is worthy of complaint you are saying you will decide if others would be offended? I am not trying to look for anything in this I am just looking at the whole thing as a hell of a lot of stuff is completely subjective.

Vault Boy
08-11-2019, 10:54 PM
I understand this but IMO action should only be taken if a complaint is made and then review what was said. If I get it tight over an opinion but I do not feel it is worthy of complaint you are saying you will decide if others would be offended? I am not trying to look for anything in this I am just looking at the whole thing as a hell of a lot of stuff is completely subjective.

All we're doing is reaffirming the site rules CT.

i.e. If somebody decides to call another member a ******* **** (fill in the blanks as you see fit) because they disagree with their opinion, even if the person receiving that abuse isn't offended, that breaks the site rules and the offender will be rightfully banned. This has always been the case, we just wanted to put a spotlight on the importance of the report function and also commit ourselves to acting on the site rules more swiftly and attentively.

Nobody who isn't being purposefully antagonistic or breaking site rules has anything to worry about. This was simply the right time to make a statement and reaffirm what was already in place.

Captain Trips
08-11-2019, 10:57 PM
All we're doing is reaffirming the site rules CT.

i.e. If somebody decides to call another member a ******* **** (fill in the blanks as you see fit) because they disagree with their opinion, even if the person receiving that abuse isn't offended, that breaks the site rules and the offender will be rightfully banned. This has always been the case, we just wanted to put a spotlight on the importance of the report function and also commit ourselves to acting on the site rules more swiftly and attentively.

Nobody who isn't being purposefully antagonistic or breaking site rules has anything to worry about. This was simply the right time to make a statement and reaffirm what was already in place.

Oh shut the ***** ****** ****** **** ****** ** up

Fair enough just asking. :flag:

mjhibby
08-11-2019, 11:00 PM
Biggest annoyance is the fact that some posters just post a stream of negativity. I don't know how you police it but maybe a negative thread about the club highlighted so others are prewarned. The site has become less toxic since hecky left the building and I hope the new guidelines mean we dont regress back to the last few weeks where I very rarely posted as it was so tiresome reading through constant negative posts. I hope once the new manager is appointed we all get behind him and we don't get loads of negative posts by folk whose choice of manager didn't get the gig. Ggtth

Vault Boy
08-11-2019, 11:03 PM
Oh shut the ***** ****** ****** **** ****** ** up

Fair enough just asking. :flag:

And I'm just answering CT :wink:

Just want to make sure it's clear that these behaviours don't apply to 99% of our excellent support. A lot of us use Hibs.net every day and it's because the vast majority of the interactions on here are friendly and enjoyable. :aok:

H113EE5
08-11-2019, 11:09 PM
Just need to get rid of some of these ********* in the crowd.

Sorry. I wholeheartedly agree with the OP.

08-11-2019, 11:21 PM

Only reading opening posts could be why you've not noticed anything out of order, there have been several unacceptable posts over the last couple of months. Given that you've already stated you only read the 1st post on this very thread you make a very poor case. I'd say the admins are a lot better placed than you are to decide whether or not there needs to be a reminder of the forum rules.

jgl07
08-11-2019, 11:34 PM
I must admit that I junk Hibs net, sometimes for a few days sometimes for weeks because of the negativity that sometimes dominates the site.

This included the last few days of Heckies time at Hibs.

Negativity has that effect on many others as well.

Fife-Hibee
09-11-2019, 12:10 AM
The guidelines should be laid out clearly. Personal agendas should not get in the way of how these guidelines are applied. Online bullying is abhorrent and completely unacceptable, regardless of what views people hold on whatever subjects.

Nobody should come on here and be subjected to personal attacks regardless of whether they're supportive or critical of the club.

FilipinoHibs
09-11-2019, 12:28 AM
I did not know who she was or that she had experienced any abuse or that she had resigned until I saw a thread title on here. However I don't do Facebook because I think its a river of low grade madness or Twitter now because it seems a hate fest, so perhaps that's where the abuse was taking place? Was she abused on .net too?

Abused on match days at ER

lord bunberry
09-11-2019, 12:46 AM
I must admit that I junk Hibs net, sometimes for a few days sometimes for weeks because of the negativity that sometimes dominates the site.

While I find the negativity draining and not what I want to read, I don’t think you can say it’s in any way out of order. When the team is struggling I notice certain posters come to the fore and seem way more vocal than when the team is doing well. I also take breaks from this site, mainly due to the negativity, but the real problem is the nasty element that occasionally rears its head.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2019, 04:54 AM

I don't think negativity is what's being targeted here. When we find ourselves one point off the bottom of the table in November, with one win in 16 league matches, you're going to encounter a lot of very negative Hibs fans.

Negativity and abuse are two very different things.

Since90+2
09-11-2019, 05:14 AM
From what I've read .net is already the tamest of supporter forums across the biggest clubs in Scotland IMO. It's terrible that Tracey had to resign but I don't think any of that had anything to do with abuse on here?

I'm surprised the admin xxxxx* joke was picked up on so forcefully on this thread when it's clearly meant as light hearted banter and do worry that if that sort of thing is now banned what sort of road the site is going down.

* I've purposely starred out the word so I don't receive a banning for posting it.

hibsbollah
09-11-2019, 05:44 AM
and do worry that if that sort of thing is now banned what sort of road the site is going down

I think you need to read the admins responses. They've been very clear.

stoneyburn hibs
09-11-2019, 05:58 AM
Can I continue to call a referee a fud ?

Barney McGrew
09-11-2019, 06:15 AM
The site has become less toxic since hecky left the building and I hope the new guidelines mean we dont regress back to the last few weeks where I very rarely posted as it was so tiresome reading through constant negative posts

Just to be clear MJ, it’s not new guidelines but a reminder of the rules that are already in place.

There’s always going to be negativity on here, just as there will always be positivity and we are not attempting to stifle either viewpoint. Despite what is often said elsewhere online, we don’t have a party line and as admins we all have our own individual views on every subject. All we ever do is try to make the boards a place where people can respectfully discuss all things Hibs (and more).

Unfortunately it’s just that results and performances on the park have mean there’s been a lot more negativity recently :greengrin

Another wee thing to mention is that the infraction and warning system is there for us to use where we think people have overstepped the mark. We all keep an eye on the boards each day, helped by people using the report post function but remember we’re all just normal folk like everyone else with jobs and families and other stuff in our lives, so we can’t be on here 24 hours a day. The warnings are always done direct with the individual poster, so other board users won’t always see that someone has had a gentle reminder of what’s OK and what’s not. We very, very rarely remove someone immediately unless they’ve gone way over the mark, and 99% of the time it’s usually enough to bring people back inside the rules again.

We we don’t run a police state on here, and I think we’re pretty understanding especially when emotions run high like they have recently. Hopefully we get a new gaffer in that can get the team winning again and we can get back to moaning about pies and other important stuff.

Cataplana
09-11-2019, 06:18 AM
I think if someone asks someone else not to call them a certain name, that should be the end of it. Its something I would do in real life.

If the other person continues to bad mouth them after fair warning then that is deliberate abuse.

H18 SFR
09-11-2019, 06:30 AM
Also came off Facebook when I called out a Hibs fan for calling Hecky a peado, final straw for me. I gave here a miss as well for a while when burning his car at HTC was mentioned.

Since90+2
09-11-2019, 06:37 AM
I think you need to read the admins responses. They've been very clear.

I've read it and I agree entirely that abuse and trolling should not be permitted however banter and heated debate are.

My point was that a poster then posts a well known saying which is clearly meant as banter and is in no way meant to be offensive yet it's banned by the admin.

CraigHibee
09-11-2019, 06:38 AM
Agreed, no need for abuse online or anywhere else for that matter

Sammy7nil
09-11-2019, 06:56 AM
Biggest annoyance is the fact that some posters just post a stream of negativity. I don't know how you police it but maybe a negative thread about the club highlighted so others are prewarned. The site has become less toxic since hecky left the building and I hope the new guidelines mean we dont regress back to the last few weeks where I very rarely posted as it was so tiresome reading through constant negative posts. I hope once the new manager is appointed we all get behind him and we don't get loads of negative posts by folk whose choice of manager didn't get the gig. Ggtth

As others have said one win up to November one point of the bottom of the league, poor football, no obvious playing plan there is always going to be negativity. I don't think we should trying to restrict what posters can and can't say so long as it is not abusive.

There is always the option blocking posters.

hibsbollah
09-11-2019, 07:09 AM
I've read it and I agree entirely that abuse and trolling should not be permitted however banter and heated debate are.

My point was that a poster then posts a well known saying which is clearly meant as banter and is in no way meant to be offensive yet it's banned by the admin.

1st para, we're in agreement
2nd para, I'm not really bothered by that either way

staunchhibby
09-11-2019, 07:17 AM
Just glad not on any of the social media groups.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2019, 07:20 AM
The admin pricks joke has had it's day. It's been around for the best part of a decade, if not longer, it was mildly amusing once when there was a context. Now it's just old.

I'm not offended by it. However is it really going to impact someone's enjoyment of the site if they don't say it? Does it in any way enhance discussion when it's used? Does not using prevent a point from being made?

As has been said above there has been no change in the rules. You can still refer to a players performance as brutal. You can still have a pop at referees and you can still criticise anything at Hibs which you feel deserves criticism.

A few people have commented that we are relatively tame compared to other football forums. I'd argue that's exactly because from time to time we post little reminders of the rules like this and we do look at every single reported post and act as and when we feel it's appropriate. There are no favourites, we have all been in difficult positions in the past when dealing with people known to us who have overstepped the mark.

It's about respect from all side. From not abusing a club employee to not slagging a poster because they may be less articulate than others. I don't think there is anything in the OP that is difficult to understand or anything that suggests censorship.

Since90+2
09-11-2019, 07:26 AM
The admin pricks joke has had it's day. It's been around for the best part of a decade, if not longer, it was mildly amusing once when there was a context. Now it's just old.

I'm not offended by it. However is it really going to impact someone's enjoyment of the site if they don't say it? Does it in any way enhance discussion when it's used? Does not using prevent a point from being made?

I just think it was OTT to ban it to be honest, it's not a massive issue but when the central point of the original post was that abuse won't be tolerated but banter and debate is encouraged, to then follow on and ban something that's clearly not abusive or trolling is a strange signal to send.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2019, 07:30 AM
I just think it was OTT to ban it to be honest, it's not a massive issue but when the central point of the original post was that abuse won't be tolerated but banter and debate is encouraged, to then follow on and ban something that's clearly not abusive or trolling is a strange signal to send.

I suppose another way to look at it is that if anyone else was called a prick by another poster they would likely be warned or given an infraction. The anomaly is arguably that we have allowed the 'admin pricks' thing to go on for so long.

As I said it personally doesn't offend me, nor do I feel abused, but we decide things as a collective and the majority feel it's time for it to go.

Scouse Hibee
09-11-2019, 07:36 AM

It’s that old that many of the folk on here have no idea about the original context including me and I have been on here for many years. Let’s face it coming on to a site and reading about a group of people being referred to as “Pricks” is a tad bemusing and not really what most folk want to read. As has already been said it’s had its day and has no real relevance so best it ceases to be used.

Allant1981
09-11-2019, 07:43 AM
Good to see the rules being reminded to posters,I've had many a debate on here with people and only once has it got personal, was offered to go meet a poster after a game!! Once in all the time ive been on here is not to bad but you do see posts that are very close to if not already unacceptable, I've felt a few times I've been in the wrong and have apologised to posters for being a twat!!

J-C
09-11-2019, 07:44 AM
So I take it all the admins are not pricks anymore, good because that always ground my gears 😁

I'll reiterate again that this a good call due to recent events, may I add that any snidey remarks are also seen as personal abuse, sometimes these get overlooked.

derekduval
09-11-2019, 07:46 AM

I think people who use it do so as it shows they are in a little clique or lets them feel like they are part of one.

Keith_M
09-11-2019, 08:03 AM
Will there be a clamp down on posters who seem to revel in every single one of there posts being a negative dig at everything related to Hibs?

This has clearly been missing the last few days, maybe certain people have been temporarily banned, but it really does bring the mood of the site down.

Jay
09-11-2019, 08:08 AM
From what I've read .net is already the tamest of supporter forums across the biggest clubs in Scotland IMO. It's terrible that Tracey had to resign but I don't think any of that had anything to do with abuse on here?

I'm surprised the admin xxxxx* joke was picked up on so forcefully on this thread when it's clearly meant as light hearted banter and do worry that if that sort of thing is now banned what sort of road the site is going down.

* I've purposely starred out the word so I don't receive a banning for posting it.

At no point did I say id ban anybody for.it. .I said its an old joke past its best and asked for it to stop. Would you say it to my face? Probably not. Its sad that that one thing is being picked up on from the whole thread when all we are asking is that people follow the rules already set out .

One Day
09-11-2019, 08:45 AM
I think people who use it do so as it shows they are in a little clique or lets them feel like they are part of one.

And there is certainly a clique or two in here.

Since90+2
09-11-2019, 08:47 AM
At no point did I say id ban anybody for.it. .I said its an old joke past its best and asked for it to stop. Would you say it to my face? Probably not. Its sad that that one thing is being picked up on from the whole thread when all we are asking is that people follow the rules already set out .

Ouch.

Ok firstly I never claimed anybody would be banned for it , I simply said the use of it had been banned. Secondly you never asked for it to stop you said "first thing to be clamped down on is this very very old joke". To me that's saying it won't be tolerated rather than asking it for it to stop.

I'm not sure why you're coming out with "would you say it to my face" chat? It's clearly meant in a non offensive way , atleast that's how I took it when the poster said it and has been used over the years and obviously how atleast 1 other admin sees it.

Rumble de Thump
09-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Ouch.

Ok firstly I never claimed anybody would be banned for it , I simply said the use of it had been banned. Secondly you never asked for it to stop you said "first thing to be clamped down on is this very very old joke". To me that's saying it won't be tolerated rather than asking it for it to stop.

I'm not sure why you're coming out with "would you say it to my face" chat? It's clearly meant in a non offensive way , atleast that's how I took it when the poster said it and has been used over the years and obviously how atleast 1 other admin sees it.

Swearing is banned anyway.

AltheHibby
09-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Ouch.

I once referred to myself as "3/4 jock". Having an ex highland soldiers in the family who proudly referred to himself as a jock, I see no problem with it. Someone else did. On that basis, and as someone who wondered what the in joke was about the admins, best it's stopped.

The admins have a hard enough job without us arguing over words.

Beefster
09-11-2019, 08:55 AM
Will there be a clamp down on posters who seem to revel in every single one of there posts being a negative dig at everything related to Hibs? If there’s a crackdown on too much, we might as well pack up.

This has clearly been missing the last few days, maybe certain people have been temporarily banned, but it really does bring the mood of the site down.

Why would someone having a different opinion to you be cracked down on? Some folk are negative/pessimistic - that’s life.

On topic, if the word ‘prick’ is banned in general, it might be an idea to add it to the filter. Always seemed a bit of an anomaly that ‘prick’ was allowed but stuff like ‘****’ isn’t.

Percy Vere
09-11-2019, 08:56 AM

Disagree away, but this is overdue.
The venom on here toward PH and his signings has at times been well out of order. Personal, unwarranted and unpleasant.
Most folk are great, balanced posts and a bit of fun, but def a core who go too far.

pacoluna
09-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Let's hope the same rule applies to all.

Wilson
09-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Why would someone having a different opinion to you be cracked down on? Some folk are negative/pessimistic - that’s life.

On topic, if the word ‘prick’ is banned in general, it might be an idea to add it to the filter. Always seemed a bit of an anomaly that ‘prick’ was allowed but stuff like ‘****’ isn’t.

You're obviously not big into sewing or picking roses :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-11-2019, 09:27 AM
You're obviously not big into picking Rose's :wink:

I like the hazelnut swirls.

Cataplana
09-11-2019, 09:30 AM

Toffee Penny for me. Takes ages.

Wilson
09-11-2019, 09:34 AM

I wondered how I made such a mess of spelling 'roses' until the auto correct also corrected my edit! :wink:

BroxburnHibee
09-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Ouch.

Think you've made you're feelings clear. Perhaps it's time to drop the subject? We've made our position clear.

Keith_M
09-11-2019, 09:36 AM

I'm not talking about different opinions, I'm talking about every single post being negative digs at the club.

Tickets On Sale for next match: "Nobody will turn up"
Matchday Info; "Don't bother, cause we're *****"
Predictions for Saturday: "We'll lose 7-0, cause we're *****"
Predictions for league placings: "We'll get relegated cause...."

I'm sure you get the idea

----------------------------------------------

Anyway, that's my last post of the subject, as I don't want to sound too negative.

:wink:

Since90+2
09-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Think you've made you're feelings clear. Perhaps it's time to drop the subject? We've made our position clear.

Really? I've responded to my quoted post , I think in a fairly fair non abusive manner and now I've been told to drop it.

No problem, I won't post on the thread again. The admins have indeed made their position clear. Crystal.

hhibs
09-11-2019, 09:42 AM
Im serious its not funny ten years after the event most people dont even know what the joke was . Its time to put it to bed .

Spill !

Speedy
09-11-2019, 09:44 AM

For clarity, are you referring to '****', '****', '****' or '****'? :greengrin

Cataplana
09-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Reminds me of the time a ref told Martin Jol he couldn't call him a ****.

"Can I think you are a ****," asked Martin.

"You can think what you want."

"Ok, I think you're a ****."

**** = See You Next Tuesday.

hhibs
09-11-2019, 09:55 AM

whoosh !

CraigHibee
09-11-2019, 09:58 AM
I suppose another way to look at it is that if anyone else was called a prick by another poster they would likely be warned or given an infraction. The anomaly is arguably that we have allowed the 'admin pricks' thing to go on for so long.

As I said it personally doesn't offend me, nor do I feel abused, but we decide things as a collective and the majority feel it's time for it to go.

never knew what the admin pricks thing was about but i've seen a few folk post it sometimes, my interpretation of it was in jest but if we are going to stop any abuse etc then i guess that needs to be included as well as it could open a up a whole "but he/she said this so why can't i say that"

at the end of the day it's nice to be nice, i get some folk wont always agree with what someone posts and there can be discussion without personal insults or abuse.

The recent episode with heck has caused a lot of discontent with fans and folk are just angry about the way we've been performing etc when we pay our hard earned cash to watch them.

good times ahead and when things are good everyone is happy :aok:

Sir David Gray
09-11-2019, 10:00 AM

As has been said above there has been no change in the rules. You can still refer to a players performance as brutal. You can still have a pop at referees and you can still criticise anything at Hibs which you feel deserves criticism.

A few people have commented that we are relatively tame compared to other football forums. I'd argue that's exactly because from time to time we post little reminders of the rules like this and we do look at every single reported post and act as and when we feel it's appropriate. There are no favourites, we have all been in difficult positions in the past when dealing with people known to us who have overstepped the mark.

It's about respect from all side. From not abusing a club employee to not slagging a poster because they may be less articulate than others. I don't think there is anything in the OP that is difficult to understand or anything that suggests censorship.

I think (and I genuinely hope this is taken in the reasonable way it's intended as I hope I've been around here long enough for folk to know that I don't engage in abusive behaviour or anything of the sort) the issue isn't that folks' enjoyment of the site will be impacted by not referring to the "joke" it's rather that the reply to the "joke" on this thread seems to equate what is admittedly a pretty poor attempt at humour, but humour nonetheless, to the other more serious examples of abuse laid out in the opening post.

Describing it as "the first thing to be clamped down on" has, I think, caused some concerns about how far the zero tolerance approach will go.

Please don't take what I've said here the wrong way and I'll reiterate once again that I totally agree with there being no room on this site for the kind of abuse that has seen Tracey Smith resign from her post. I was shocked and disgusted to read about why she has felt the need to step down.

I don't actually believe that good natured humour or banter will be banned on here but I can understand why some people may have picked that up due to the points raised above.

hhibs
09-11-2019, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=Beefster;5985081]Why would someone having a different opinion to you be cracked down on? Some folk are negative/pessimistic - that’s life.

Indeed.

On topic, if the word ‘prick’ is banned in general, it might be an idea to add it to the filter. Always seemed a bit of an anomaly that ‘prick’ was allowed but stuff like ‘****’ isn’t.[/Q

One Day Soon
09-11-2019, 10:16 AM

Well this escalated extensively. I'm having a bit of an 'all I said was this piece of halibut is good enough for Jehovah' kind of a feel about it. I took the initial response to mean drop using it or you'll be infracted, so that's where I've now gone with it. I'm sorry to see it go.

It's been an interesting point though because it does illustrate that different people can be looking at exactly the same thing from different perspectives and come to completely different conclusions. I always took it be be an affectionate term for people who put in hard yards of time to keep the site running, whereas others clearly feel offended by it. It's slightly worrying I suppose that this could equally apply in other contexts so that one admin's meat is another poster's poison or vice versa. Incidentally, if I ever knew what the original joke was I've long ago forgotten it.

Funnily enough I think this thread is one of the more interesting ones I've read recently too, though I'm still not clear on exactly how the infraction system works.

Where do we stand on the use of FFS? I'm a little partial to that one too...

Gatecrasher
09-11-2019, 10:17 AM

that could be so open to intepretation, being the forum that it is an admin could simply ban somebody for trolling when they only have a different opinion.

One Day Soon
09-11-2019, 10:19 AM
And there is certainly a clique or two in here.

I once posted on our cliques, but it was all made up pi5h on my part. If there are cliques I don't know/understand what they are.

bigwheel
09-11-2019, 10:22 AM
that could be so open to intepretation, being the forum that it is an admin could simply ban somebody for trolling when they only have a different opinion.

That’s the role of an admin, to make judgements...they are not prone to overreacting ..

One Day Soon
09-11-2019, 10:24 AM
Abused on match days at ER

What an embarrassment. It's hard to express how vile and completely counter productive that is. Football is all about emotions but like everyone else we have some real idiots in our support. It can be quite worrying to see the extent that some people play out what is going on in the rest of their lives - good and bad, but especially the bad - at games. You can see deep, deep anger and frustration and you just know that at some level its not simply about the game, the team or the club.

lapsedhibee
09-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Spill !

"Admin pricks" started life as a show of solidarity for the much loved admins after one poster had a general way-over-the-top rant which included the phrase. Since then it has been used exclusively affectionately, I think.

If 'admin pricks' is to be clamped down on, it should be under the general intolerance of sexism. Prick is a gender-specific term, and only some of the admins are male.

SaulGoodman
09-11-2019, 10:27 AM
That’s the role of an admin, to make judgements...they are not prone to overreacting ..

The replies to One Day Soon’s lighthearted post shows that overreactions can happen imo.

skyhibs
09-11-2019, 10:30 AM
This is going to be one **** place if we can’t have a bit of banter... personal abuse has always been unacceptable and I don’t think it has been stopped by admin... it will be all down to personal thoughts and understanding.. we will see how this pans out

Eaststand
09-11-2019, 10:32 AM
I think this gentle online behaviour reminder from the Admins is spot on and can only help to improve most people's experience using Hibs.net

GGTTH

hhibs
09-11-2019, 10:36 AM
Any strong views on the use of the word" dick"?

I mean in general ,not admin specific.

CraigHibee
09-11-2019, 10:50 AM
Any strong views on the use of the word" dick"?

I mean in general ,not admin specific.

i think admin are making it clear tbh, just don't be abusive to folk on .net and all is good, if you use the word dick in general context then it's okay, if you are calling someone a ****ing dick directly then that can be deemed as abusing someone

theonlywayisup
09-11-2019, 10:54 AM
One knowledgeable person once said to me "beware of the shadow you cast".

If you use inappropriate language, it's likely that someone will come along and do the same, until someone then pushes the boundaries further. Let's break that trend.

Why don't we all be mindful of the shadow we cast.

hibee_girl
09-11-2019, 11:06 AM

One admin wouldn’t just ban a poster, we do discuss it all between us before a decision is made.

PeeJay
09-11-2019, 12:13 PM
I mainly enjoy posting and reading other posts on Hibs.net - think the admins and the site policy is very good.
I always use the site as an example here in Germany when the discussion centres on social media abuse - we on Hibs.net don't have swearing & personal abuse is ruled out! I often wonder why other sites such as Facebook and Twitter and whatever else there is don't adhere to a similar policy - I don't do any "social media" elsewhere, but from what I hear and read about it is pretty nasty out there.

BILLYHIBS
09-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Just noticed that MWC has left by mutual consent so in my humble opinion this place is already a better place :greengrin

Happy days!

:partyhibb

Beefster
09-11-2019, 12:23 PM
For clarity, are you referring to '****', '****', '****' or '****'? :greengrin

Definitely ‘****’. I’d never use ‘****’ and the word ‘****’ just makes me blush thinking about it.

09-11-2019, 12:26 PM
What are the rules on calling someone a Jambo? That's about as big an insult there is.

Danderhall Hibs
09-11-2019, 12:31 PM
Calm down everyone- I’m sure there’s not going to be a huge cull. It’s just a reminder of the rules.

As much as I’ve been moaning about folk on here over exaggerating and being drama queens recently, it’s still a much much better and safer place than twitter where it seems the folk that get banned from here go to sling their insults and abuse. Let’s leave them to it.

HNA12
09-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's much appreciated. Hopefully any concerns have been addressed. If anybody still has concerns or needs anything clarified please feel free to message any one of us. We'll close and sticky this one now, we're all off to the match. :greengrin