PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: TRACEY SMITH STANDS DOWN AS SUPPORTER DIRECTOR

RSS Bot
07-11-2019, 02:50 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10400)

Speedway
07-11-2019, 02:54 PM
But will the aggressors modify their behaviour?

Peevemor
07-11-2019, 02:54 PM

I hope those concerned are proud of themselves.

Oscar T Grouch
07-11-2019, 02:55 PM

I hope they’re dealt with by the polis

ABZHFC
07-11-2019, 02:56 PM
A real shame, nice person who did her job well, I felt

Liam89
07-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Confirms my suspicions that there's been a disgusting rise of toxicity from an element of our support, one who moan, cry and complain at everything and everyone involved at the club. An element who should **** off and find a new team to 'support'.

Keith_M
07-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Disgraceful.

Some so-called Supporters need to take a long, hard look at themselves.

green with envy
That's not nice to hear, keep on supporting your team Tracey.

Shrekko
This has been a grim time to be a Hibs fan recently.

Regardless of your views on the team etc there are ways of doing things and having your voice heard. The vitriol has been disturbing.

Since452
But will the aggressors modify their behaviour?

What happened?

Just read it. I've felt the same way as her over the last few months. It's been been poisonous at times towards Dempster, Heckingbottom and the players. Really sad and some people need to take a look at themselves tbh.

MWHIBBIES
Confirms my suspicions that there's been a disgusting rise of toxicity from an element of our support, one who moan, cry and complain at everything and everyone involved at the club. An element who should **** off and find a new team to 'support'.
Spot on. This place, Twitter, Facebook and Easter road have all been poisonous recently. I got called attention seeking for saying it. This proves it.

BILLYHIBS
07-11-2019, 02:58 PM
No need

Bostonhibby
07-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Jeez, I'd voted for her and was happy to do so. Am guessing the no marks concerned are going to have to find someone else to pick on from behind the safety of their keyboards.

All the best Tracey.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Nakedmanoncrack
07-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Spot on. This place, Twitter, Facebook and Easter road have all been poisonous recently. I got called attention seeking for saying it. This proves it.

Not sure there's any proof, if there is it's a matter for the police and courts to deal with.

Keith_M

Easter Road definitely had a poisonous atmosphere, at least among some fans, at the Ross County game.

04Sauzee
Hope they are dealt with by the police and never allowed to set foot in Easter Road ever again.

Golden Bear
07-11-2019, 03:01 PM
There are times I long for the days before the Internet and social media. How very sad that one of our very own has been subjected to vile abuse when all she was trying to was to represent the views of Hibs Supporters, a thankless task if ever there was.

ABZHFC
07-11-2019, 03:02 PM
I genuinely just don't get how people can get so angry about fundamentally trivial things like 'fan engagement'

Were there supporters reps when the Famous Five were about? Did anyone go greeting when they didn't like a certain aspect of their club? Calling for folks' heads? It's crazy, whatever happened to following your team because they're your team and not getting caught up in the politics of it all?

Good luck for everything in the future Tracey, like I said, you've done a great job in my eyes

calumhibee1
07-11-2019, 03:02 PM

:agree:

Some of the attitudes and behaviours of some fans recently have been a disgrace whether that’s at games, on here, on Facebook or on Twitter.

Marvellous
07-11-2019, 03:03 PM
Really sad. Football attracts some absolute cretins.

MWHIBBIES
Not sure there's any proof, if there is it's a matter for the police and courts to deal with.

A director resigning because of abuse received is, I'm my opinion, pretty clear proof of elements of our support being poison.

Vault Boy
Wow, that is absolutely appalling. Those who perpetrated this should hang their heads in shame and never show their faces at Easter Road again. Disgraceful.

I hope standing down gives Tracey the relief she clearly needs in her private life.

lyonhibs
07-11-2019, 03:05 PM
WTF?? :confused:

That's a shambles, turning on one of our own that dared to put her head above the parapet with the goal of increasing fan engagement and comms to any degree is ****ty behaviour, but to the degree that she has felt obliged to stand down from the role?? Terrible, terrible stuff.

We don't half have some absolute cretins following our club that regrettably have access to the internet.

The Spaceman
07-11-2019, 03:05 PM
Wow. That’s absolutely appalling. To all the losers who targeted Tracey - please **** off and never set foot in ER again. These “fans” have dragged our club down recently and time to cut them all loose.

Danderhall Hibs
07-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Disgraceful. Still based on some of the posts/threads on here and what I’ve seen on FB and Twitter it’s not surprising. Some folk don’t have a clue how to conduct themselves.

Ozyhibby
07-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Just had a quick look on Twitter and all the fan engagement with her on there seems positive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GloryGlory
07-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately, this seems to be a by product of social media in all aspects of life. Keyboard warriors who think they have free reign to bully and threaten anyone they don't agree with.

Since452
07-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Just had a quick look on Twitter and all the fan engagement with her on there seems positive?

Sounds more like she was sickened by the treatment of our departed manager, Dempster and some of the players. Don't blame her, it's been an absolute joke.

Pretty Boy
That's a disgrace.

Having a moan is one thing. Causing someone to feel so threatened they felt they had to contact the Police is another matter altogether.

BoomtownHibees

Do you think she has made it all up?

Marvellous
07-11-2019, 03:11 PM

What's your point? She's making it up?

Vault Boy
07-11-2019, 03:11 PM

Abusive behaviour isn't always publicly displayed and online for all to see. Are you saying that you doubt Tracey's experience? I'm not sure why your first instinct would be to search her up on twitter for five minutes just to verify it.

Deansy
07-11-2019, 03:12 PM
I'm certainly not happy with current events/standards etc but for her to be forced to call in the police is nothing but a slur on our club and I hope those responsible are caught and dealt with - lifetime bans for starters

Hibbyradge
07-11-2019, 03:13 PM

I'm absolutely certain that not a single f*** will be given.

In fact, I expect some will be pleased.

J-C
07-11-2019, 03:13 PM
Absolutely shocking that this kind of thing has happened, Tracey was a hard working fan and lets hope the authorities can crack down on any cyber bullying with some arrests if they can find out who these people are.

bawheid
07-11-2019, 03:14 PM
Not a surprise. Erseholes here, there and everywhere.

PaulSmith
Sorry to hear Tracey’s resigning and personal abuse isn’t part of the job description.

Dealing with fans frustrations must be difficult, it’s an emotional game but there should be a line.

I assume that everyone criticising the perpetrators have never once passed on their feelings on social media (including Hibs net) to fans of other clubs, opposition players, managers, referees, football administrator or anyone else connected with the game though...

BlackSheep
Some folk have no sense at all... why on earth would anyone abuse a supporters' rep when the going gets tough, what can they do!!

Idiots!

Danderhall Hibs
Abusive behaviour isn't always publicly displayed and online for all to see. Are you saying that you doubt Tracey's experience? I'm not sure why your first instinct would be to search her up on twitter for five minutes just to verify it.

And I’m not sure he’d be able to see DMs etc by simply searching her name.

Why would it be disbelieved anyway - it’s clear that some folk revel in Hibs’ misfortune and it’s not surprising to hear that someone would say enough is enough - particularly a volunteer.

HibeeHibernian4
07-11-2019, 03:15 PM
A pathetic indictment of an element of our support (no matter how small or big that may be).

Some truly frightening individuals among us.

Thank you, Tracey. Had a chance to talk with you at a couple of games and you were always open to suggestions.

Volunteering your time for Hibs and the support and this is the thanks you get? What an embarrassment that is for us all.

Gerard
07-11-2019, 03:17 PM
I think Tracey has done a good job as a director of our club. I am sad that she has resigned her directorship due to abuse. I wish her good luck .
Gerard

Marvellous
Sorry to hear Tracey’s resigning and personal abuse isn’t part of the job description.

Dealing with fans frustrations must be difficult, it’s an emotional game but there should be a line.

I assume that everyone criticising the perpetrators have never once passed on their feelings on social media (including Hibs net) to fans of other clubs, opposition players, managers, referees, football administrator or anyone else connected with the game though...

You would be wiser to assume that people criticising the perpetrators are able to pass on their feelings without abusing people, especially people giving up their time to help the club.

SickBoy32
Shocking to read that. Online personal abuse is symptomatic of the social media age unfortunately.

No surprise to see the usual suspects lining up to lay into the Hibs support though, again.

May21/05/16
07-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Bullying a woman hopefully it's not stopping tracy going the football these creations should ashamed of themselves

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Moody Blues
07-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Wow, that is absolutely appalling. Those who perpetrated this should hang their heads in shame and never show their faces at Easter Road again. Disgraceful.

I hope standing down gives Tracey the relief she clearly needs in her private life.
You will find a lot of the "Keyboard Warriors" hardly ever set foot in Easter Road.

Stantons Angel
07-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Im absolutely disgusted and disappointed at the behaviour of some so called Hibs fans to wards Tracey Smith who was until today a very hard working and reliable Fans director on the HFC Board..
Tracey has sighted the personal abuse directed at her and also to the persons on the board and players in the team as the main reason for her departure from a job i know she loved.

I just hope the ignorant and selfish B's who dished this out realise Tracey like all of us is a human being who was trying to do a worhwhile job for all fans.

i know that things have been hard this season but we are all in this together and at times like this we should stay to gether to stay strong and get back to better times.

this sort of behaviour is not acceptable in any way shape or form.and i really hope those who took part in this have a good long and hard look at themselves and hope they are proud of themselve too!

You have lost a good friend in Tracey and all she did in that position!!!

Stonewall
07-11-2019, 03:19 PM
This is just depressing to hear but can anyone honestly say it’s a major shock.

You just have to wonder at some people’s twisted values and I doubt this will make any difference to their behaviour as they will just deny their behaviour has been partly responsible or say that Tracey shouldn’t have taken the role on if she wasn’t prepared to deal the flack that goes with it. Either that or posting abuse gives them some sense of satisfaction.

i made the mistake of joining a couple of the Facebook sites and honestly some of the posts are breathtaking in their aggression, wrong headedness and ignorance. Fabulous examples of group think.

Sorry you had to resign Tracey. I wish you all the best and thank you for your contribution.

green day
07-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Tracey (and KP) have always been very helpful when I contacted them.

People doing this sort of thing probably wont even care that decent people think their behaviour is awful.

There are some right radges on twitter.

Hibbyradge
No surprise to see the usual suspects lining up to lay into the Hibs support though, again.

What do you mean?

Power
I’m gutted at this. Tracey is a fantastic representative and has put a lot in over the last 2 years for fans. A massive support to me coming in the door and bends over backwards to do anything for anybody.
We all collectively want the best for Hibs, we all do it in different ways and have opinions on the right approach - that we is collective (the supporters, the club, the players, the employees - right through to Ticket Office and club store staff). Every one of us deserves respect.

bawheid
07-11-2019, 03:21 PM

I’ll lay into morons abusing and threatening decent folk all day long, whether those morons are Hibs fans or not.

sleeping giant
07-11-2019, 03:22 PM
Good luck for the future Tracy.

Disgraceful behaviour .

Since452
Unfortunately social media gives every idiot a platform and unfortunately some of them revel in making it poisonous. So sad a real supporter has felt the need to step down. Hard not to shake your head the more you think about it. We're all ment to love this club...

wookie70
It seems to be the way of Hibs fans right now. Some of the abuse Heck suffered was terrible. No problem with footballing stuff but the word imposter being bandied about and Memes saying how many "Hey Ups" has he said were in very poor taste in my book. No problem with those questioning his tactics or his results or signings but it got very personal, very quickly with Heck and there was even an undertone when he was winning at the start. I'm not sure the minority of ********s is such a small one any more.

Tracey seems to have done a decent job, is a very good Hibby and has answered a few things on here. I had a spat with her about loyalty points and we both managed to see each others point and I thought she communicated well and was a good person for the role. For your fellow fans to stoop to this levels says alot about who we are right now. Not what you want in the papers when you are looking for new staff.

Danderhall Hibs
I’ll lay into morons abusing and threatening decent folk all day long, whether those morons are Hibs fans or not.

Same. Some folk think “fans” can’t be criticised - they’re wrong.

ABZHFC
07-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Tracey (and KP) have always been very helpful when I contacted them.

People doing this sort of thing probably wont even care that decent people think their behaviour is awful.

There are some right radges on twitter.

Being on Twitter myself, I wouldn't say it's Hibs fans on there to blame mate. At least publicly, I haven't seen her receive abuse on there (although obviously she could have been DM'd things etc)

I personally would put it down to some sad acts seeking her out over email and/or confronting her face-to-face at games. Normally people who target abuse do it carefully and privately, which makes it all the more intimidating to have to deal with

Shame on those who did it

Stonewall
07-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Shocking to read that. Online personal abuse is symptomatic of the social media age unfortunately.

No just the lowlife amongst our support. But I think you know that, so why did you post it?

GonzoReturns
07-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Unfortunately, this seems to be a by product of social media in all aspects of life. Keyboard warriors who think they have free reign to bully and threaten anyone they don't agree with.

This 100% typing with one hand and well we all know what they are doing with the other one!!!

danhibees1875
07-11-2019, 03:25 PM
That's pretty shocking.

I find being abusive towards other people, online or otherwise, weird enough at the "best" of times but to do so to a fellow Hibs fan is just a new extreme low.

I hope Tracey can put it behind her and continue enjoying supporting Hibs (or as much as any of us enjoy such a thing). Hopefully a lesson to be learned by the minority involved that their actions have real life consequences.

Since452
07-11-2019, 03:26 PM

No surprise to see the same posters say you cant lay in to Hibs "supporters".

Wakeyhibee
07-11-2019, 03:27 PM
Sorry to hear this but totally understandable given the ststement. I don't know Tracey personally but she helped get a ticket to me for an away game at last minute when I was travelling back from some distance away.

Some people are unfathomable when someone puts themselves out selflessly for others.

From me, thank you again.

blackpoolhibs
07-11-2019, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would have a pop at her, she has along with KP done what she said she'd do when she stood for the job.

Madness. :rolleyes:

bawheid
07-11-2019, 03:28 PM
Same. Some folk think “fans” can’t be criticised - they’re wrong.

Let’s face it, the internet is packed full of absolute whallopers. Quite a few of them also identify as “Hibs fans”.

Just because they watched Sauzee as a kid and cheered the team down Leith Walk on 22nd May doesn’t mean they’re any less of an erse. Maybe it’s time the silent majority started pushing back against it.

Hibeesmad
07-11-2019, 03:29 PM
Imagine having to step down from doing something you volunteer to do for the good of others due to threats and abuse. Pathetic.

If you read this Tracey, thank you for all your work.

SickBoy32
07-11-2019, 03:29 PM
What do you mean?

Plenty on page1 trying to create links between negative atmospheres at ER to online personal abuse is wrong imo.

I don’t think we should be blaming the fans booing the team etc for forcing Tracey out.

Online abuse on social media platforms is a criminal offenece, and should be dealt with by the police.

Would add my thanks to Tracey for all her efforts.

BigKev
07-11-2019, 03:30 PM
All the pretendy hard men and women of Facebook, Twitter etc who call themselves Hibbies will probably be delighted tonight.

There’s a real dickish underbelly to our support when things aren’t going well. I wish every one of them had another brain cell to communicate with the other and rather than try and outdo other idiots with aggressive or fabricated comments actually called out the fannies on social media.

Marvellous
07-11-2019, 03:31 PM
I hope some people responsible for posting vitriol on here over the last few months will consider the consequences more. Seen it all from "Hecky **** off back to Yorkshire" to "Let's burn his car".

It's a game.

Keith_M
07-11-2019, 03:32 PM

:confused:

People are laying into the morons that were completely over the top in their abuse.

How is that "lining up to lay into the Hibs support"?

bawheid
07-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Plenty on page1 trying to create links between negative atmospheres at ER to online personal abuse is wrong imo.

I don’t think we should be blaming the fans booing the team etc for forcing Tracey out.

Online abuse on social media platforms is a criminal offenece, and should be dealt with by the police.

Would add my thanks to Tracey for all her efforts.

It’s all linked IMO. The “me me me” attitude of folk who cannae deal with a bit of adversity, amplified by social media and emboldening idiots to bully and threaten a woman working her spare hours to help the club. Tragic.

Danderhall Hibs
07-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Maybe it’s time the silent majority started pushing back against it.

Well I’m up for it.

HibeeHibernian4
07-11-2019, 03:34 PM
It’s all linked IMO. The “me me me” attitude of folk who cannae deal with a bit of adversity, amplified by social media and emboldening idiots to bully and threaten a woman working her spare hours to help the club. Tragic.

Spot on. :agree:

Dare I say it, it's probably the same people who couldn't find Easter Road for years before we won the Scottish Cup who are now finding it impossible to come to terms with Hibs' status as a club who have good seasons and bad seasons.

bawheid
07-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Well I’m up for it.

I’d be quite happy to call out our branch of morons on social media all day long. There aren’t enough hours in the day though!

Set up a crowd funder and I’ll quit my job.

IWasThere2016
07-11-2019, 03:37 PM
As disgraceful as it is saddening.

Thanks to TS for all her efforts.

GGTTH :flag:

Brightside
07-11-2019, 03:42 PM
Some right horrible *******s in the world.

The 90+2
07-11-2019, 03:47 PM
**** sake sending abuse to a young mother who happens to be trying her best in what should be a dream role. Hope they name and shame the roasters.

Wilson
07-11-2019, 03:47 PM
I’d be quite happy to call out our branch of morons on social media all day long. There aren’t enough hours in the day though!

Set up a crowd funder and I’ll quit my job.

I doubt you'd be qualified or impartial enough to separate someone being a moron to someone just having a different view to yours.

Besides. If we're now assuming that the people in question contacted TS privately then what information will you have to call them out.

Non starter.

Wilson
07-11-2019, 03:50 PM
I had no dealings with TS myself and am sad for her that she has had to quit a role she worked hard to get. I wish her all the best and hope we're all in for better times as hibs fans.

JimBHibees
07-11-2019, 03:50 PM
How sad is this? Pretty shameful to be honest, bottom line is it is only a game.

Kojock
07-11-2019, 03:52 PM
Saddened to hear that she was subjected to abuse but not surprised as there's some total wallopers purporting to be Hibs supporters.

bawheid
07-11-2019, 03:54 PM
I doubt you'd be qualified or impartial enough to separate someone being a moron to someone just having a different view to yours.

Besides. If we're now assuming that the people in question contacted TS privately then what information will you have to call them out.

Non starter.

Pretty easy to spot them IMO. Check out Hibs latest tweet - a quickfire thing with Christian Doidge. The post’s only been up 9m and there’s already at least one moron in the comments.

Blaster
07-11-2019, 04:01 PM
I have family members who sit near Tracey and told me there was a bit heated discussion at the last home game. Very unfair

Best wishes Tracey

Speedway
07-11-2019, 04:07 PM
Is there anything to be gained from the club naming shaming and banning these people I wonder?

PaulSmith
07-11-2019, 04:13 PM
I think it’s time to remove the fans rep role.

We have a SLO in Colin Millar and the reps just become the person that is put up to communicate with the fans. This is unfair as the more silence from the Boardroom the greater the frustration of the fans and the only visible presence is the @hibernianfc twitter account and the personal social media accounts of the fans reps.

I’m hoping the statements today from LD, RG and GM are now a regular occurrence and we hear more of them....thus reducing the one way “communication” from frustrated fans to the reps as unfortunately I can’t see this kind of pressure/abuse ever ending.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cataplana
07-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Bawbags.

The 90+2
07-11-2019, 04:19 PM
Is there anything to be gained from the club naming shaming and banning these people I wonder?

Yes, it would hopefully stop it happening again.

Scouse Hibee
07-11-2019, 04:19 PM
Cowards every last one of them, abusing someone online who is representing our support and wants the best for the club is beyond belief. These cowards are lowlife **** who just like an excuse to act like complete twats.

Carheenlea
07-11-2019, 04:22 PM
I’d guess a lot of abuse has come largely on social media, and while Frank was widely criticised for not having a social media presence you can understand why it wasn’t something he cared a lot for when you read some of the toxic postings on the platforms.

SMAXXA
07-11-2019, 04:23 PM
Some so called Hibs fans are absolute guffies, the last few months have been the most toxic I’ve seen a fan base for as long as I can remember. By I mean toxic I don’t mean just unhappy some of the absolute bile and hatred makes me sick.

Smartie
07-11-2019, 04:36 PM
This is a low point for us as a support.

Without any of us knowing any of the details, it is a disgrace that we’ve made one of our own feel this way and we should feel a sense of collective shame.

I hope there is something that can be done to ensure this is never repeated.

JohnMcM
07-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Hands up from me. I've been one of the angry anti-PH moaners on here. You can see that in some of my previous posts.

However, in the mind of any decent thinking person, to abuse or threaten any fellow supporter, let alone a volunteer who wanted only to help the club, is surely 'beyond the pale'.

Tracey, on behalf of the vast majority of the support, thank-you for what you achieved and were attempting to do. Also, in the same vein, you have our thanks, thoughts and support.

McIntosh
07-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Very, very sad news - there needs to be zero tolerance to this kind of abuse. I am not in favour of censorship but things have got out of hand and we should be zealous in banning people. This forum has been toxic for far too long - we all know who the suspects are.

Hiber-nation
07-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Hands up from me. I've been one of the angry anti-PH moaners on here. You can see that in some of my previous posts.

However, in the mind of any decent thinking person, to abuse or threaten any fellow supporter, let alone a volunteer who wanted only to help the club, is surely 'beyond the pale'.

Tracey, on behalf of the vast majority of the support, thank-you for what you achieved and were attempting to do. Also, in the same vein, you have our thanks, thoughts and support.

For me there's a big difference between the type of "abuse" on here compared to Facebook/Twitter. Some of the stuff on there is absolutely vile whereas on here it's mostly moans and the odd bit of name-calling.

Johnny Clash
07-11-2019, 04:43 PM
I just can’t understand what some zoomers get out of being abusive, cowardly keyboard warriors. You can have disagreements and express strong opinions without getting snotty our abusive.. Tracey seems like a strong positive character so it sounds like she’s had to endure relentless crap from a small section who all should hang their heads in shame. Keep your chin up Tracey.

flash
07-11-2019, 04:44 PM
One of the darker days in our club's history. Tracey was very approachable and helpful and, most importantly, is a massive Hibby. Pathetic creatures.

JohnMcM
07-11-2019, 04:49 PM
For me there's a big difference between the type of "abuse" on here compared to Facebook/Twitter. Some of the stuff on there is absolutely vile whereas on here it's mostly moans and the odd bit of name-calling.

No it isn't so shut-up fud face :greengrin:na na::greengrin

hibbyfraelibby
There are posters on this thread who have made Tracey's position untennable who need to hold their heads in shame.

The Fans Reps are Directors of the club, elected by the fans to represent the fans but few seem to understand the legal constraints that being a non-executive director of a Limited Company brings with it, especially that of commercial and personal confidentiality.

To subject an individual to personal abuse for doing their job is never acceptable especially when its only related to football and not a life or death situation.

There is a difference between passion and obsession and unfortunately there is a small minority on here who cannot, or will not, see that their personal psychologically challenging condition needs treating not airing.

pollution
Disgraceful treatment by some "Hibs" fans if that is what they are, although I haven't seen any of it on here.

Could they be so called fans of other clubs involved? I can't think of anything she has done to merit any abuse of any kind!

Gordy M
07-11-2019, 04:54 PM
But but but......what gets written on social media and here doesnt matter, its a forum, il say what i want, thats my opinion, im entitled to say what i want, i dont care who reads it...... all things i have seen written on here and other places, twitter, fb etc. Constructive critisism is fine, and helps. Abuse and personal digs at staff, players, directors etc does not.

Folk get very brave hiding behind psuedynoms online.......

bigwheel
07-11-2019, 04:57 PM
What a sad outcome ..it is the fans and Hibs loss that this has happened..if only I had hope that this could lead to different behaviours ..

Thank you Tracey for being our voice ..I hope you don’t let these losers impact your joy of supporting our club ....

flash
07-11-2019, 04:57 PM
I agree. Facebook and Twitter are utterly toxic around Hibs.

Jim44
07-11-2019, 05:01 PM
Sad and embarrassing to read this thread.

Frogga
07-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Embarassing stuff. I think we also have a responsibility as fans to help root out these people from our support.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Frazerbob
07-11-2019, 05:08 PM
There really is a growing ****my element to our support these days. From the young team (who weren’t even born in 1990) with their OTT Mercer stuff, the growing republican bollocks, the ‘Leehun’ pish from the Lennon FC lot and now this. I long for the fun days of everyone supporting the club they claim to love again.

theonlywayisup
07-11-2019, 05:26 PM
Very disappointing that Tracey has had to stand down.

Lot's of positive support on this thread. However, there are many on Hibs.net that really do need to reign in their language. Every week, I read comments like player X is "brutal", a "wage thief", "useless", "embarrassingly bad" etc etc. It seems that posters are trying to outdo themselves by trying to come out with the most bizarre negative comment.

No, a player has just had a bad game. They'll admit themselves that they've been poor. They don't need the overly negative rubbish that some posters constantly write.

Golden Bear
07-11-2019, 05:31 PM

Lot's of positive support on this thread. However, there are many on Hibs.net that really do need to reign in their language. Every week, I read comments like player X is "brutal", a "wage thief", "useless", "embarrassingly bad" etc etc. It seems that posters are trying to outdo themselves by trying to come out with the most bizarre negative comment.

No, a player has just had a bad game. They'll admit themselves that they've been poor. They don't need the overly negative rubbish that some posters constantly write.

Yip. After a bad result, there's nothing worse than a thread title which features the name of a player who may have played poorly and it is then used to merciless castigate the guy. What that may gain has always got me beat.

Its fair game to criticise poor team performances without bringing personal insults into it.

B.H.F.C
07-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Stuff like that, in a football context, will never change. Especially when some of them hardly look to be giving their all.

Don’t know what kind of abuse Tracey has received, but to prompt her resignation, it’s safe to assume it must have been on a different scale. Don’t know why anybody would feel the need to abuse her, never mind to a level that requires police involvement.

The 90+2
07-11-2019, 05:33 PM
There are posters on this thread who have made Tracey's position untennable who need to hold their heads in shame.

The Fans Reps are Directors of the club, elected by the fans to represent the fans but few seem to understand the legal constraints that being a non-executive director of a Limited Company brings with it, especially that of commercial and personal confidentiality.

To subject an individual to personal abuse for doing their job is never acceptable especially when its only related to football and not a life or death situation.

There is a difference between passion and obsession and unfortunately there is a small minority on here who cannot, or will not, see that their personal psychologically challenging condition needs treating not airing.

Who on this thread has done such thing?

The 90+2
07-11-2019, 05:35 PM
Yip. After a bad result, there's nothing worse than a thread title which features the name of a player who may have played poorly and it is then used to merciless castigate the guy. What that may gain has always got me beat.

Its fair game to criticise poor team performances without bringing personal insults into it.

Not after every bad result. Signings have been disastrous and the season has been rotten so far. Has it come to the stage to not discuss a poor performance in case it hurts a players feelings? Probably the wrong thread but I’m not sure how you manage to link that to a supporters rep begging personally abused.

HFC93
07-11-2019, 05:35 PM
Sad to read this news. Some absolute zommers in our support.

Hiber-nation
07-11-2019, 05:36 PM
Who on this thread has done such thing?

That's what I was wondering. Think he needs to clarify.

Fuzzywuzzy
07-11-2019, 05:39 PM
I agree. Facebook and Twitter are utterly toxic around Hibs.

Facebook and Twitter are toxic, period.

Golden Bear
07-11-2019, 05:42 PM
Not after every bad result. Signings have been disastrous and the season has been rotten so far. Has it come to the stage to not discuss a poor performance in case it hurts a players feelings? Probably the wrong thread but I’m not sure how you manage to link that to a supporters rep begging personally abused.

I've followed on from previous posts on the general theme of personal abuse.

brog
07-11-2019, 05:43 PM
Sad and embarrassing to read this thread.

Agreed 100%. Tracey, thank you.

Sir David Gray
07-11-2019, 05:49 PM
That's an utterly disgraceful way to act towards someone who has taken up a voluntary role within the club.

I hope she's ok and I would like to place on record my thanks for the help she gave me a few months ago with regards to a query I had.

Kato
07-11-2019, 05:52 PM

That sadly is a symptom which is planet wide. Entitled roasters everywhere you look. See also coca induced tantrums, clowns imagining the most knee-jerk opinions need expressing immediately followed by doubling and tripling down.

Stuart93
07-11-2019, 05:55 PM
Think it’s more of a reflection on society these days to be honest. Sat behind a phone or computer thinking they can say what they want without any repercussions.

I’m not sure how it would even cross anyone’s mind to target a hibs supporter volunteering to try and enhance other supporters experiences.

Absolute clowns

Frogga
07-11-2019, 06:00 PM
People who post **** like this can GTF as well. Embarassing.

I bet some of the people commenting '*****', 'awful' and whatever else are the same folk moaning about people abusing Tracey.

Take a look at yourselves and get behind your team!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191107/51bf067d89e1fc687ba6434371213ab7.jpg

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Kato
07-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Facebook and Twitter are toxic, period.

I read the clubs posts on twitter but never look at the comments. Block any and all "furious" Hibs fans as well, no point.

Imagine newspapers back in the day published every letter they were sent, you'd only look at those pages to check how swivel eyed people can work themselves up to. Really dull for the woman, what should be a positive experience rendered a nightmare.

The 90+2
07-11-2019, 06:01 PM
I've followed on from previous posts on the general theme of personal abuse.

So you would classify posters saying a player is ***** as personal abuse and have it outlawed? I think that would be ridiculous personally.

weecounty hibby
07-11-2019, 06:02 PM
I had one interaction with Tracey over tickets for St Johnston away last season, very very helpful so thanks Tracey for that and for everything else you have done. To those who have been abusing Tracey,you should be ashamed. You probably won't be as you will have zero self awareness and are probably not smart enough to realise how your pathetic bullying affects people

Kato
07-11-2019, 06:06 PM
So you would classify posters saying a player is ***** as personal abuse and have it outlawed? I think that would be ridiculous personally.

Free speech I suppose. There is a difference between saying it and publishing it though. Why any Hibs fan would abuse their own players on that players media platforms is beyond me though.

Are you talking about saying it or posting it on the internet.

j'adorehibs
07-11-2019, 06:06 PM
poison chalice really, takes a big person to assume this sort of role when a team isn't performing and the board hide

being available for individuals to vent their frustrations on matters out with their control isnt what this role should be about

Golden Bear
07-11-2019, 06:07 PM

It wont be outlawed but I fail to see what it achieves. Sometimes it's best to say nothing at all. Each to their own though.

banchoryhibs
07-11-2019, 06:27 PM
I've had the pleasure of meeting Tracey a few times and am gutted that she had had to suffer absolutely uncalled for abuse.
Without doubt she has the Club at heart and has worked extremely hard to help many people.
I hope that those responsible feel ashamed tonight.

Shrekko
07-11-2019, 06:39 PM
The running joke on here used to be happy clappers v doom and gloomers but you always got the feeling that by and large everyone had the club at heart. There’s definitely a new breed of self important ‘fan’ that just seems to want to crucify everything about the club at the first opportunity- generally obnoxious towards less hysterical fellow fans too. People trying to be balanced are being accused by this new breed of harming the club by not acting the same as them! How often have we heard these line about ‘accepting mediocrity’ and causing Hibs to be relegated because they didn’t help hound out Butcher?

Anyone who thinks abusing anything and anyone connected with the club no matter how bad things are on the pitch isn’t a supporter at all- by definition.

The 90+2
07-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Free speech I suppose. There is a difference between saying it and publishing it though. Why any Hibs fan would abuse their own players on that players media platforms is beyond me though.

Are you talking about saying it or posting it on the internet.

I think there’s a massive difference between giving an opinion of a player or being frustrated into saying this or that player is rubbish or is picking up a wage for **** all and personally messaging them or whatever and saying directly. It’s like saying in the crowd “**** sake so and so that was pish” and being **** down because that’s not going to help said players confidence. What would be the point in this Hibs discussion board if nobody was allowed to give a negative opinion just in case it upsets a player or manager?

The 90+2
07-11-2019, 06:44 PM
It wont be outlawed but I fail to see what it achieves. Sometimes it's best to say nothing at all. Each to their own though.

On a football discussion site surely you’re allowed to give positive and negative opinions on players? It’s a complete world away from giving a volunteer disgusting abuse and shouldn’t at all be classified in the same bracket, in fact it’s doing a disservice to Tracey to say it’s in the same category as someone posting someone’s a wage thief, it’s ridiculous.

brog
07-11-2019, 06:48 PM

Tbere's a Shakespearean saying, methinks you doth protest too much!

The 90+2
07-11-2019, 06:50 PM
Tbere's a Shakespearean saying, methinks you doth protest too much!

Whatever. I’ve never given anyone personal abuse. It’s a shame that it’s being brought up in the same bracket. Look at the Stubbs out thread that appeared recently, are you trying to tell me that everyone that said he should go (wrongly) shouldn’t have because if he viewed the thread it would hurt his feelings and it doesn’t do any good regardless? Because that’s what’s being classified in the same bracket as a Lady quitting her role because of direct abuse online.

Pretty Boy
07-11-2019, 06:50 PM
On a football discussion site surely you’re allowed to give positive and negative opinions on players? It’s a complete world away from giving a volunteer disgusting abuse and shouldn’t at all be classified in the same bracket, in fact it’s doing a disservice to Tracey to say it’s in the same category as someone posting someone’s a wage thief, it’s ridiculous.

I think there is a difference between positive and negative views and outright abuse.

'Doidge is rubbish and couldn't hit a cows erse with a banjo' is a different kettle of fish from 'Doidge is a ****ing lazy wage thief who is stealing a living. The useless ****'. Too often recently it's strayed into the latter. Most people will cross the line on the odd occasion at one time or another, I certainly have, but there is again a difference between that and the kind of sustained personal attacks we have been seeing recently.

It's also worth considering a throwaway comment in a pub might go unheard by all but those in the vicinity but a personal attack online will quite often be seen by the intended target. As a one off that may not be an issue, by the 50th time it probably has an impact.

Bay Area Hibees
07-11-2019, 06:51 PM
Disgraceful

matty_f
07-11-2019, 06:57 PM
There really is no excuse for this, people should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Since452
07-11-2019, 06:59 PM
A prime example was the "Thankyou Heckingbottom" thread. There was outrage by some that people dared wish him well in the future etc. Outrage and hatred seems to be the norm. Even towards a guy trying his best for Hibernian football club. Really don't know where folk get the energy from. Sad.

Joe6-2
07-11-2019, 07:06 PM
Disgusting

stoneyburn hibs
07-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Faceless keyboard hardmen, clowns.

brog
07-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Whatever. I’ve never given anyone personal abuse. It’s a shame that it’s being brought up in the same bracket. Look at the Stubbs out thread that appeared recently, are you trying to tell me that everyone that said he should go (wrongly) shouldn’t have because if he viewed the thread it would hurt his feelings and it doesn’t do any good regardless? Because that’s what’s being classified in the same bracket as a Lady quitting her role because of direct abuse online.

No, I'm only saying there's only about 4 posts on this thread which are not 100% condemnatory about the assholes attacking Tracey & they're all from you. I'm sure you mean well, just think before posting.

hibeerealist
07-11-2019, 07:14 PM
Sorry to hear this Tracey, it is easy to say don’t let the bassas get you down but I am not the target of this awful abuse and it is very sad that it was so bad you had to resign your directorship.

There are so many ignorant weirdos out there now and it seems like the whole thing is out of control, this is not restricted to Hibs or indeed football it is everywhere.

I wish you well and hope that you can put this behind you.

Wilson
07-11-2019, 07:17 PM
A prime example was the "Thankyou Heckingbottom" thread. There was outrage by some that people dared wish him well in the future etc. Outrage and hatred seems to be the norm. Even towards a guy trying his best for Hibernian football club. Really don't know where folk get the energy from. Sad.

I went back and read the first few pages of that thread. It is pretty tame. Some folk don't feel thankful and said as much. One guy went so far as to call him a clueless clown - not exactly keyboard hardman stuff and I doubt Hecky would lose much sleep over it. Maybe the outrage and hatred was on another thread.

scooby
07-11-2019, 07:18 PM
Really sad to hear this, absolutely no need to abuse people who give up their time to help the club and fellow fans.
Thanks for everything you've done Tracey.

Weegreenman
07-11-2019, 07:20 PM
Unfortunately we have a small minority just like most clubs do that are absolute pond life. It’s a society thing!

Danderhall Hibs
07-11-2019, 07:21 PM
I went back and read the first few pages of that thread. It is pretty tame. Some folk don't feel thankful and said as much. One guy went so far as to call him a clueless clown - not exactly keyboard hardman stuff and I doubt Hecky would lose much sleep over it. Maybe the outrage and hatred was on another thread.

There was a thread the other day about him (can’t remember which one...) that started by saying “I quite like him” or “I feel sorry for him” and it quickly turned into a who hates him the most competition - “he’s a prick”, “he’s a fanny”, “I hate him” etc.

PaulSmith
07-11-2019, 07:23 PM
Faceless keyboard hardmen, clowns.

Sorry for picking on you but it’s the closest one to the bottom of the post and there are hundreds more I could’ve chosen.

“Well done Madden you fud” is exactly what a “faceless keyboard hard man clown” posted less than 5 days ago on here.

You’ll find similar posts by me BTW but let’s not be hypocritical about it.

calumhibee1
07-11-2019, 07:23 PM
There was a thread the other day about him (can’t remember which one...) that started by saying “I quite like him” or “I feel sorry for him” and it quickly turned into a who hates him the most competition - “he’s a prick”, “he’s a fanny”, “I hate him” etc.

He’s also apparently a weapons grade ******** and worst of the lot on one of the Facebook groups - looks like a paedo.

Phil MaGlass
07-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Sad to hear about the abuse one of our own by seemingly , some of our own,has had to endure, hopefully the polis can get these ********s. Disgraceful treatment.

As someone mentioned earlier, Hibsnet is also starting to attract the ********s, that do nothing but spew negativity, and condemn other folks point of view and not in a nice way.
Its maybe about time the admins cracked down harder, especially on the recently new posters(IMO).

hibeerealist
07-11-2019, 07:26 PM

Given that the poor lass has resigned due to them then name and shame we are all behind stamping this out.

PaulSmith
07-11-2019, 07:28 PM
He’s also apparently a weapons grade ******** and worst of the lot on one of the Facebook groups - looks like a paedo.

Posting about how it’s wrong to abuse folk on social media and you ended said post with “he looks like a paedo”

BoomtownHibees
07-11-2019, 07:33 PM
Posting about how it’s wrong to abuse folk on social media and you ended said post with “he looks like a paedo”

Think you need to read the post again and try and understand it before jumping in with your reply

ionahibby
07-11-2019, 07:34 PM
I said previously that some of the abuse Heckingbottom and some of the players received at Easter road and especially at Hampden was an absolutely disgusting. It’s no surprise other staff members have received the same. I really think the admins( who btw do a pretty amazing considering they do everything voluntarily) should be banning folk on here even for something as soft as calling somebody an expletive or something derogatory. It’s essentially bullying.

PaulSmith
07-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Think you need to read the post again and try and understand it before jumping in with your reply

I did.

What’s not abusive about calling someone a “paedo” regardless of his views on Hibs.. it’s one of the worst forms of abuse you can throw at a man.

And no I have no idea who’s being talked about but you can see how easy it is to throw about names from behind a pseudonym....that’s my point.

Gordy M
07-11-2019, 07:39 PM
I did.

What’s not abusive about calling someone a “paedo” regardless of his views on Hibs.. it’s one of the worst forms of abuse you can throw at a man.

And no I have no idea who’s being talked about but you can see how easy it is to throw about names from behind a pseudonym....that’s my point.

I think you may have missed the mark here mate, what he waa saying was that someome on FB had said that about PH.......

BoomtownHibees
07-11-2019, 07:39 PM
I did.

My point is that it wasn’t the poster on here calling anybody a paedo, he was quoting what was said on Social Media

PaulSmith
07-11-2019, 07:42 PM
I think you may have missed the mark here mate, what he waa saying was that someome on FB had said that about PH.......

Ah...whoops understand now you’ve pointed that out!

Pete
07-11-2019, 07:48 PM

I was just going to post something about that thread but I'm sure there are others.

Sad is indeed the word and I'm going to try and remain sane by doubting that people are actually like that in real life. It all contributes to this pack mentality that's usually carried out by small people.

Unfortunately all these wee comments from insignificant individuals add up, take their toll and have very real consequences.

The 90+2
07-11-2019, 07:52 PM
No, I'm only saying there's only about 4 posts on this thread which are not 100% condemnatory about the assholes attacking Tracey & they're all from you. I'm sure you mean well, just think before posting.

Yet you neglect the posts using the condemnatory nature of the thread to turn it into others agendas? If you look at my first two posts on this thread you will see my opinion on the actual thread topic before one poster rips into posters on this thread weirdly and a couple more use it to rip into people who may hold an opinion on a footballer.

The Captain....
07-11-2019, 07:54 PM
A prime example was the "Thankyou Heckingbottom" thread. There was outrage by some that people dared wish him well in the future etc. Outrage and hatred seems to be the norm. Even towards a guy trying his best for Hibernian football club. Really don't know where folk get the energy from. Sad.There seems to be a general deterioration in peoples ability to accept others with a different point of view. Not just on this forum..its a society thing..polite but robust debate is rare and has been replaced by dog whistle rhetoric which inevitably gets the reaction it was designed to.

It's a pretty sobering thought that someone who gave up their own time in an effort to help fans and the club has had to give up due to the abuse. I really think the role is an impossible job and tip my hat to Kieran and Tracy for having the motivation and will to do it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Gloucester Hibs
07-11-2019, 08:07 PM
There seems to be a general deterioration in peoples ability to accept others with a different point of view. Not just on this forum..its a society thing..polite but robust debate is rare and has been replaced by dog whistle rhetoric which inevitably gets the reaction it was designed to.

It's a pretty sobering thought that someone who gave up their own time in an effort to help fans and the club has had to give up due to the abuse. I really think the role is an impossible job and tip my hat to Kieran and Tracy for having the motivation and will to do it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yep, it’s the loss of the middle ground, no grey areas any more just entrenched, polarised viewpoints with virtually no room for reasonable debate.

Hibernia&Alba
07-11-2019, 08:07 PM
That's a real shame. You really have to wonder about the mentality of some people. Only a very odd and sad individual would abuse someone who takes the time to help their fellow fans on a voluntary basis. It really is shameful Tracey feels the need to resign her position because of it. If the role has become more trouble than it's worth, she has done the right thing. Disgraceful state of affairs.

Forza Fred
07-11-2019, 08:28 PM
I have had several dealings with Tracey, all of which resulted in occupying more of her time, but every one dealt with by good humour, enthusiasm and respect.

The fact that ‘one of us’ felt the need to resign from a position she obviously was honoured to hold reflects badly on all of us, as we rightly or wrongly, get judged on a collective basis by the wider community.

Like most, I don’t always agree with every decision taken by our boards over the years...and have indeed at times let them know that, but I am capable of having a different point of view from the individuals who may have made them, without seeing it as a reason to hound or belittle that individual

Sadly it appears that some of us, are not, and we have lost a dedicated, hard working board member as a result.

Keith_M
07-11-2019, 08:31 PM
Maybe instead of turning this thread into an argument, we could just think about what we post on here ourselves and make sure it's not over the top.

I'm sure most of us are reasonable people but it is possible to get carried away, when emotions are high.

theonlywayisup
07-11-2019, 08:38 PM
Maybe instead of turning this thread into an argument, we could just think about what we post on here ourselves and make sure it's not over the top.

I'm sure most of us are reasonable people but it is possible to get carried away, when emotions are high.

Yes, that's what I was going to post.

I honestly don't think I've ever posted anything overly negative about a Hibs player or a manager. I really wish posters have a think when they post that someone is brutal after one bad pass, or similar.

stoneyburn hibs
07-11-2019, 09:43 PM
Sorry for picking on you but it’s the closest one to the bottom of the post and there are hundreds more I could’ve chosen.

“Well done Madden you fud” is exactly what a “faceless keyboard hard man clown” posted less than 5 days ago on here.

You’ll find similar posts by me BTW but let’s not be hypocritical about it.

Aye very good.

PaulSmith
07-11-2019, 10:08 PM
Aye very good.

Is that a sarcastic post or a realisation that we can all be “that person”?

Andy74
07-11-2019, 10:26 PM

I don’t think negative posts here are the issue.

There’s a layer of people that evidently take social media too far. The type that think it’s fine to be outright personally abusive and threatening. It is the type of stuff way beyond the critical posts you get on here.

These people don’t seem to have the awareness that they are interacting directly with individuals. Or they have the lack of basic empathy that the individual is a person with some feelings.

The easy thing is to say if you’re in a position where people might know you is that you either don’t read it, ignore it or at least recognise that these people are dregs with no social skills or awareness but I’m sure it’s tough when it gets personal and close to home.

For a volunteer position it’s just not worth it.

It’s not a Hibs or a football issue. Social media has given direct access and a voice to everyone - including the large number of nut jobs that are out there.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-11-2019, 11:33 PM

There’s a layer of people that evidently take social media too far. The type that think it’s fine to be outright personally abusive and threatening. It is the type of stuff way beyond the critical posts you get on here.

These people don’t seem to have the awareness that they are interacting directly with individuals. Or they have the lack of basic empathy that the individual is a person with some feelings.

The easy thing is to say if you’re in a position where people might know you is that you either don’t read it, ignore it or at least recognise that these people are dregs with no social skills or awareness but I’m sure it’s tough when it gets personal and close to home.

It’s not a Hibs or a football issue. Social media has given direct access and a voice to everyone - including the large number of nut jobs that are out there.

A layer of people or it’s it botsor a combo? Sad. Kids it didn’t use to be this way - there was even a wee yahoo user group where people really used their actual names no (excessive) windup merchants or trolling - come on . In the waters warm [SCRATCH RECORD] :)

stoneyburn hibs
08-11-2019, 06:23 AM

I really don't think that myself making comments on a match day thread regarding the referee can be compared to online abuse of a director.

It's also a wee bit creepy that you trawled through my posts to find your poor comparison.

Heckys Wheel
08-11-2019, 06:56 AM
I remember standing having a chat with Amit in a bowling club in Dumbarton after we’d won the cup. In the brief time I stood with him (maybe 5 minutes), I’d say 12-15 people approached him with grievances. All trivial. He was polite and vowed to take it to the board and report back. I remember thinking at the time, “f&@£ that”. An unpaid position and constantly badgered.

You see Tracey and previously Frank at games and they’ve always got somebody in their ear. All demanding answers.

Add in any kind of personal abuse and I’m sure the best of us would be questioning whether it was worth it. Regardless of any perks they may see as reasons to carry on.

Seems like a 2 year term is probably about right for this kind of role. Probably shorter if the team are struggling and the fans are vocal.

BoomtownHibees
08-11-2019, 08:22 AM

You’ve had a wee bit of a shocker on this thread

calumhibee1
08-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Ah...whoops understand now you’ve pointed that out!

:greengrin

PaulSmith
08-11-2019, 08:53 AM
I really don't think that myself making comments on a match day thread regarding the referee can be compared to online abuse of a director.

It's also a wee bit creepy that you trawled through my posts to find your poor comparison.

So you abusing someone on line is somehow different to someone abusing a fans rep online?

Hardly “creepy” is it, I said that could’ve picked anyone and you just happened to be the one at the bottom of the thread and it took 2 secs to see your post. You post under a pseudonym so I’ve actually no idea who you are, your perfectly safe and no need to call the polis :)

I was making a point that it’s so easy, in the heat of the moment, for comments which can be made by anyone which are personal and could be considered abusive.

lord bunberry
08-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Maybe instead of turning this thread into an argument, we could just think about what we post on here ourselves and make sure it's not over the top.I'm sure most of us are reasonable people but it is possible to get carried away, when emotions are high.I agree. Having an opinion on things is absolutely fine, but it’s how that opinion is expressed is sometimes the problem. It’s a sad day when a young woman has been forced to resign over fears for her safety. Some of the stuff I’ve read on here and on other platforms has been way over the top.

hibsbollah
08-11-2019, 02:56 PM
There are times I long for the days before the Internet and social media. How very sad that one of our very own has been subjected to vile abuse when all she was trying to was to represent the views of Hibs Supporters, a thankless task if ever there was.

:agree:

Percy Vere
08-11-2019, 03:17 PM

There should be sanctions brought against this sort of behaviour. Bullying cannot be allowed to stand. I’ve seen venemous posts on this forum aimed at Paul Heckingbottom and players.
Criticism is fine but at times it’s been grim and not fit for Hibs FC.
Very sorry that a fans representative has suffered at the hands of so called Hibs supporters, they should be banned from the club and have a chat with the Police if it warrants it.

matty_f
08-11-2019, 03:18 PM

Good post, Andy.

I think it's one thing to comment on something or even someone but another thing to make sure the person knows you've said it.

And I don't think that's the equivalent of "well you wouldn't say it to someone's face" which I think *might* be the logic of some of the bams that single folk out on social media to abuse them, like that sort of makes it morally justifiable.

A movie critic, for example, might slate an actor's performance in a film review, but it's a bell-end that would phone the actor up to tell them how bad they are and how much you hate their film.

Some of the admin team have been on the receiving end of it on social media over the years, it's definitely an issue.

I think the point about people having limited or no social awareness or empathy is spot on, I don't know what their "best possible outcome" is when they lay into someone online?

matty_f
08-11-2019, 03:23 PM
So you abusing someone on line is somehow different to someone abusing a fans rep online?

Hardly “creepy” is it, I said that could’ve picked anyone and you just happened to be the one at the bottom of the thread and it took 2 secs to see your post. You post under a pseudonym so I’ve actually no idea who you are, your perfectly safe and no need to call the polis :)

I was making a point that it’s so easy, in the heat of the moment, for comments which can be made by anyone which are personal and could be considered abusive.

I think there's a big difference in someone calling a ref a fud (for example) on here, and someone finding that ref on social media, and sending them a direct message to call them a fud.

I'd be amazed if most people thought that they were the same.

Clearly, neither is what you want, but if you want an example, there's a thread in the vault about how pish Christian Nade is, the thread was, at the time, very funny but it would be an entirely different matter if we were all lining up to send Nade the comments directly.

When we all sang "booked for being ugly" at Stevie Fulton, the context of it meant he could laugh it off. If we approached him in the street to tell him how ugly he was, clearly that would be out of order.

emerald green
08-11-2019, 05:24 PM

:agree: Excellent post.

It certainly isn't just a Hibs or specifically a football issue. The amount of pure bile, and outright hatred, on social media platforms about everything under the sun is ridiculous and very sad, to put it mildly.

I wonder if Ms Smith came in for a higher level of abuse than usual because she is a woman? I've no idea what the specifics of the abuse she suffered actually were, but I wouldn't go near Facebook and Twitter with a barge pole.

cabbageandribs1875
08-11-2019, 06:30 PM
this has made it onto the BBC site

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50339347

Hibernian supporter director Tracey Smith has resigned due to "relentless" abuse aimed at her and staff at the under-fire Scottish Premiership club.
Smith, who became a director in 2017, has had to seek legal and police advice during her time at Easter Road.
Hibs are currently just a point off the foot of the table and sacked head coach Paul Heckingbottom (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49789618) on Monday.