PDA

View Full Version : What prerequisites would you look for in a new manager?

matty_f
07-11-2019, 11:20 AM
When Aberdeen got scudded by Rangers, McInnes described his team as being an extension of his personality, which probably rings true when you consider how 'meh' this Hibs team were under Hecky...

So, with that in mind, what characteristics/traits do you think are essential for the new guy?

I'll start with:

- be a motivator as well as an exceptional coach
- be inspirational/a leader
- have experience of the Scottish game (less essential than some others, but I'd want someone who is coming in to the league with their eyes open)
- strong record of trading players
- attack minded
- fearless
- experience of winning/success in their career

Sammy7nil
07-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Well Matty that rules out everyone :greengrin :wink:

bingo70
07-11-2019, 11:27 AM
Enthusiastic and positive.

Both those attributes are infectious and are likely to spread to the squad.

The 90+2
07-11-2019, 11:30 AM
Decent hair.
Not feared to have a go at the old firm.
Play our own game against Hearts and don’t get dragged into a **** fest.
Doesn’t fancy our physio.
Has a name that goes decent with a song.

matty_f
07-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Well Matty that rules out everyone :greengrin :wink:

:greengrin

Torto7
07-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Tactically flexible.
Innovative.
Positive.
Thick skinned.
Motivator/Leader
Ambitious.

WeeRussell
07-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Just make me look forward to Hibs games again. Whatever that means.

Please.

Danderhall Hibs
07-11-2019, 11:37 AM
Has never made a mistake
Isn’t connected in anyway to a club I don’t like
Clarity in press conferences, ie his words can’t be twisted

The 90+2
07-11-2019, 11:38 AM
Has never made a mistake

You’ve described David Gray.

HibeeHibernian4
07-11-2019, 11:41 AM
Has won the Scottish Cup as Hibs manager.

Dan McMichael, come on down. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
07-11-2019, 11:44 AM
He has to be able to take online criticism before he even accepts the job.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2019, 11:46 AM
Has never made a mistake

Has good enunciation, ken?

Knows the difference between sta-press, chest press, the press, and high press.

Unseen work
07-11-2019, 11:46 AM
- Have knowledge of Scottish football
- Understand Hibs as a club and what fans expect
- Ambitious - Push the board to spend money on quality
- Be able to engage well with supporters and make us excited and enthusiastic about the games
- Have a winning mentality

MyJo
07-11-2019, 11:47 AM
When Aberdeen got scudded by Rangers, McInnes described his team as being an extension of his personality, which probably rings true when you consider how 'meh' this Hibs team were under Hecky...

So, with that in mind, what characteristics/traits do you think are essential for the new guy?

I'll start with:

- have experience of the Scottish game (less essential than some others, but I'd want someone who is coming in to the league with their eyes open)
- attack minded
- fearless

I would say respect for the Scottish game is more important that experience of it. Hecky clearly thought Scottish football was substandard and it would be a cakewalk for him purely because he had managed in the Championship. Other than that I would also say:

- someone who will work with and trust all the behind the scenes teams we now have including the analysis and sports science (which lennon apparently wasn't a fan of) and recruitment (which Hecky apparently ignored to sign his choice of players)

- Someone who will trust younger, homegrown players.

- flexibility to coach and play more than one style of tactics and formation to best suit the players we have available and/or beat the opposition we are playing.

Danderhall Hibs
07-11-2019, 11:48 AM
You’ve described David Gray.

Hearts fan as a boy unfortunately and I don’t like Man U :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-11-2019, 11:48 AM
Someone who knows what they want to achieve, knows how to do it and is honest enough to take accountability if it doesn't work out.

Danderhall Hibs
07-11-2019, 11:49 AM
Has good enunciation, ken?

Knows the difference between sta-press, chest press, the press, and high press.

All of them. Bench press is crucial as well though.

Danderhall Hibs
07-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Needs to wear a suit during matches.

The Modfather
07-11-2019, 11:54 AM
Have a catchy phrase that sounds good but doesn’t actually mean anything, like “born winner”

Danderhall Hibs
07-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Have a catchy phrase that sounds good but doesn’t actually mean anything, like “born winner”

:tee hee:

Has pals in the media that always talk us up.

Fuzzywuzzy
07-11-2019, 11:56 AM

Like 'we are the people' which is ***** though, makes no sense and even stumps the rangers fans when you ask them what it means

worcesterhibby
07-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Decent hair.

We have clashed in the recent past...but with that list I would want you on the interview panel ! ( I would want a sub comittee formed that included me to discuss the definition of decent hair)

Lago
07-11-2019, 12:00 PM

I'll start with:

- attack minded
- fearless
Could maybe get that Neil Lennon guy, he kind of fits your bullet points.

Yorkshire HFC
07-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Decent hair.

No tattoos.

worcesterhibby
07-11-2019, 01:21 PM
No tattoos.

a wee "21/05/2016" on one bum cheek and "Persevere" on the other would be fine :greengrin

Keith_M
07-11-2019, 01:24 PM
First of all, he has to be German... so I can abuse him in his native language without getting lifted.

Wilson
07-11-2019, 01:26 PM
a wee "21/05/2016" on one bum cheek and "Persevere" on the other would be fine :greengrin

If you get 21/05/16 tattooed across both bum cheeks you can save yourself from having to get the zero.

Smartie
07-11-2019, 01:30 PM
I would say respect for the Scottish game is more important that experience of it. Hecky clearly thought Scottish football was substandard and it would be a cakewalk for him purely because he had managed in the Championship. Other than that I would also say:

- someone who will work with and trust all the behind the scenes teams we now have including the analysis and sports science (which lennon apparently wasn't a fan of) and recruitment (which Hecky apparently ignored to sign his choice of players)

- Someone who will trust younger, homegrown players.

- flexibility to coach and play more than one style of tactics and formation to best suit the players we have available and/or beat the opposition we are playing.

I think we might be reading a bit too much into Heckingbottom’s comments. Did he really disrespect Scottish football, or simply underestimate it and not fully understand the required qualities for players to thrive here?

JohnMcM
07-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Someone who;

knows the Scottish game

is brave and quick with on-field tactics and changes

will give the younger players their chance more than a small number of times (within reason)

will play people in their strongest position

will take responsibility for on field
performances and team selections

gets our club, what comes with it and understands what makes the fans happy, even if not always winning.

Not too much to ask for is it?

:flag:

lyonhibs
07-11-2019, 02:20 PM
What I do not consider a pre-requisite:

"Must know Scottish football" as if we play with a different shape of ball and regionally specific rules up here

What I do consider a pre-requisite:

Enthusiasm.

An acceptance that playing to win is what we expect always against every SPL team, no exceptions. Actually winning every game isn't expected obviously, but setting us up to do so, both in formation and style of play, is.

A style of play that demands fitness, determination and a certain level of ability on the ball of all players in all positions. Not skillful passengers that go missing or brave donkeys that can't pass a ball 10 yards.

Understanding that beating Hearts is hugely important but that this won't be achieved by forgetting to bother playing football and steaming about the place like heidless chickens.

And a cup double every other season please :greengrin

RIP Bestie
07-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Doesn't have Jack or Ross anywhere in their name

lyonhibs
07-11-2019, 02:22 PM
Doesn't have Jack or Ross anywhere in their name

You'd say no to the dream Matty Jack + Ross Chisholm combo????

LTYF :greengrin

Deansy
07-11-2019, 02:25 PM
Attack-minded
Knowledge of the Scottish game
A loathing of the 'Old S*um' and the Charity-Thieves
A good eye for players
A determination to always improve

Oh - and an under-taking to read .net/Bounce for tips/ideas ..........

Keith_M
07-11-2019, 02:27 PM
What I do not consider a pre-requisite:

"Must know Scottish football" as if we play with a different shape of ball and regionally specific rules up here

Maybe in the sense of being aware that you can get much better bargains when signing somebody from Scotland than from the lower leagues in England/Wales... as long as you know the market reasonably well and are willing to put in the effort.

Oh and I would say that it is kind of a different game. Scott Brown wouldn't get away with half of what he does just now if he played elsewhere.

The 90+2
07-11-2019, 02:29 PM

Fk forgot about the hearts bit. I’ll forgive that though :greengrin

lyonhibs
07-11-2019, 02:34 PM
Maybe in the sense of being aware that you can get much better bargains when signing somebody from Scotland than from the lower leagues in England/Wales... as long as you know the market reasonably well and are willing to put in the effort.

Oh and I would say that it is kind of a different game. Scott Brown wouldn't get away with half of what he does just now if he played for a non OF team in Scotland

Fixed that for you.

The new manager would have to get used to the Ugly Sisters getting the benefit of doubt more often than not, but the whole "big teams perceived to get favourable ref decisions/away with stuff that smaller teams don't" isn't unique to Scotland by any means.

worcesterhibby
07-11-2019, 02:40 PM
First of all, he has to be German... so I can abuse him in his native language without getting lifted.

Im Namen von Police Scotland muss ich Sie darüber informieren, dass alles, was Sie sagen, von mir als Beweismittel gegen Sie verwendet wird.

Keith_M
07-11-2019, 02:48 PM
Im Namen von Police Scotland muss ich Sie darüber informieren, dass alles, was Sie sagen, von mir als Beweismittel gegen Sie verwendet wird.

Reported!

MrRobot
07-11-2019, 02:54 PM

And player:jamboak:

Frankhfc
07-11-2019, 02:59 PM
I like to see a manager who can assert authority over players by way of stature and presence, Stubbs had that in abundance. Someone also with character, desire, passion and who had at least a semi decent career as a player and most of all wants to be at the club for a number of years to oversee stability and ongoing progression. The Board have a major decision to make as first and foremost we're in need of someone who can come in and transform the fortunes of this team quickly to calm nerves in moving away from the bottom end of the league.

Hibeesmad
07-11-2019, 03:35 PM
Someone who is:

-not afraid to stick up for our football club
-enjoys attacking football
-good contacts in the game
-passionate, enjoys engaging with the supporters

Last one is one of the most important for me, no better feeling than your manager coming over after a win and showing how much it means to them.
-

Danderhall Hibs
07-11-2019, 03:36 PM
Someone who is:

-not afraid to stick up for our football club
-enjoys attacking football
-good contacts in the game
-passionate, enjoys engaging with the supporters

Last one is one of the most important for me, no better feeling than your manager coming over after a win and showing how much it means to them.
-

Good ones - I’d go with them. The first one is a particularly important one for me.

Aim Here
07-11-2019, 04:00 PM
The ideal football manager would have -

- The defensive cunning of Helenio Herrera
- The tactical flexibility of Rinus Michels
- The off-the-ball discipline of Jurgen Klopp
- The media presence of Brian Clough
- The player development abilities of Alex Ferguson
- The sarcastic wit of Gordon Strachan
- The muscular physique of Mike Appleton
- The thick, lustrous moustache of mid-period Graeme Souness
- The dietary simplicity of Sean Dyche
- The salary demands of that bloke who got a high score in Football Manager and sent in an application for a laugh, like

Anyone who has more than half of those on their CV should definitely be a contender for the Hibs Job

bawheid
07-11-2019, 04:03 PM
Doesn’t give the OF one iota of respect, either in the media or in team selections in Glasgow.

wookie70
07-11-2019, 04:12 PM
Lucky
Shouty
Self Centred
Blames everyone to deflect attention on their shortcomings
Works with recruitment team
Keeps it in their trousers
Able to stand up after a small object brushes again their jacket
Positive about his players
Tall and Ginger
Professional now and again

I have went for a mix of Stubbs and Lennon. Half of us seem to like Stubbs and the other half Lennon so maybe we need a Hybrid. I just hope we get someone that is cheap to get rid of it it doesn't work out after a few months. My expectation is the next manager may not see out the season.

mim
07-11-2019, 04:37 PM

Arschloch :wink:

Sammy7nil
07-11-2019, 05:55 PM
He must be called Jack Rose according to latest info.:wink:

where'stheslope
08-11-2019, 10:58 AM
I would prefer someone who has spent 5 years at "Hogwarts School of Wizardry", as from now until the Winter transfer window opens, he will need a magic wand to get more from this lot we have as a team!

worcesterhibby
08-11-2019, 12:59 PM
Arschloch :wink:

Behalte diese Sprache für die Asbeststadion-Bande !
Behalte diese Sprache für die Asbeststadion-Bande.