PDA

View Full Version : Brian Rice

vuefrom1875
06-11-2019, 03:39 PM
Bigging up Yogi for the gig🤣

500miles
06-11-2019, 03:54 PM
I don't get the snobbery over Yogi. While the Raith job was a poisoned chalice, his work at Falkirk was good, and excellent at Inverness (if you read the detail, he got them to a cup final both seasons, won one, and got third place comfortably over 4th placed St. Johnstone with his top scorer injured for half the season.) Won a manager of the year award too.) He got us into Europe with a focus on good football.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-11-2019, 04:00 PM
I don't get the snobbery over Yogi. While the Raith job was a poisoned chalice, his work at Falkirk was good, and excellent at Inverness (if you read the detail, he got them to a cup final both seasons, won one, and got third place comfortably over 4th placed St. Johnstone with his top scorer injured for half the season.) Won a manager of the year award too.) He got us into Europe with a focus on good football.

In reverse, if he had gone from Raith, to Falkirk and then won the cup with ICT , he would be an ideal candidate. Maybe he came to Hibs a wee bit too early?

easty
06-11-2019, 04:01 PM

What makes it snobbery, rather than just not wanting him for the job?

Diclonius
06-11-2019, 04:14 PM

No wins in four derbies against a Hearts team that finished below us and lost sixteen league games that season
A disastrous run of three wins in sixteen league games which took us from a comfortable third to scraping fourth, conceding 36 goals in the process
This run eventually turning into four wins in twenty-three league games, which got him sacked
Going out of the Scottish Cup to Ross County (who finished fifth in the second tier that season) after going in front three times over 180 minutes, conceding a potential semi-final against a then-stuttering Celtic
One solitary win in ten games against the OF

I don't see this clamour for Hughes when there are considerably better managers out there and his last job involved getting Raith Rovers relegated to the third tier. Granted, he probably wouldn't be a total disaster - maybe he might beat Hearts this time. :dunno:

CockneyRebel
06-11-2019, 04:17 PM

Because a lot of folk see him as a bit rough around the edges and not ideal for PR purposes.

CockneyRebel
06-11-2019, 04:19 PM

No wins in four derbies against a Hearts team that finished below us and lost sixteen league games that season
A disastrous run of three wins in sixteen league games which took us from a comfortable third to scraping fourth, conceding 36 goals in the process
This run eventually turning into four wins in twenty-three league games, which got him sacked
Going out of the Scottish Cup to Ross County (who finished in the fifth tier that season) after going in front three times over 180 minutes, conceding a potential semi-final against a then-stuttering Celtic

I don't see this clamour for Hughes when there are considerably better managers out there and his last job involved getting Raith Rovers relegated to the third tier. Granted, he probably wouldn't be a total disaster - maybe he might beat Hearts this time. :dunno:

Snob :wink:

jacomo
06-11-2019, 04:21 PM

It’s not snobbery, more that he visibly crumbled in the job. By the end his daughter was fighting battles on Twitter for him and the guy seemed under way too much pressure. Even his biggest fans accepted it was time for him to go - we were in a big slump and there was little sign he was going to turn it around.

Sorry, but he had his chance and let’s not go back.

Cat Stanton
06-11-2019, 04:23 PM
Going out of the Scottish Cup to Ross County (who finished in the fifth tier that season) after going in front three times over 180 minutes, conceding a potential semi-final against a then-stuttering Celtic

Interview after 6-6 at Motherwell (after throwing away a four goal lead in the most outrageously awful manner): "must have been a great game for the fans". That was the last straw for me.

Smartie
06-11-2019, 04:25 PM
I always felt Hughes had the rug pulled from under him the last time and of all our departed managers I think he's the one who should feel most hard done by. I know there was a lot of pressure on him towards the end of his time with Hibs but I didn't want him to go.

As a club we've generally not been too bad at losing good players late in transfer windows but he lost Stokes at the end of August. That's a lot of goals to lose from your side, and the sticking plasters of Daryl Duffy and Valdas Trakys were abysmal replacements.

To have one full season and one 4th placed finish in the league (with European qualification) on his cv with Hibs is pretty decent.

I got the feeling that his tenure was the one that was most undermined by Petrie and his transfer market fannying about. Obviously we've had a few stinking transfer windows since then (notably Fenlon's last and Heckingbottom's recent one) but that window was absolutely crippling for Yogi.

When Yogi left, he still left a decent legacy with some good players. His successor was the biggest disaster we've had as manager so far, who turned "something to work with" into poor Pat Fenlon's poisoned chalice.

Onceinawhile
06-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Was the goalkeeping school his idea? 4 goalies, none of whom were anywhere near good enough.

lyonhibs
06-11-2019, 04:27 PM

Quite. Arse collapsed out of that season in a dramatic almost Butcheresque fashion. 4 wins in 24 league games and then we had the absolute denial and inability to face the obvious that led to his quite ridiculous "football folk know what's going on Chick" piffle.

Once bitten, never again for me as far as Yogi goes. Leave us the fond memories of the player please.

Smartie
06-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Quite. Arse collapsed out of that season in a dramatic fashion not matched really until Butcher came along. 4 wins in 24 league games and then we had the absolute denial and inability to face the obvious that led to his quite ridiculous "football folk know what's going on Chick" piffle.

Once bitten, never again for me as far as Yogi goes. Leave us the fond memories of the player please.

Very good half season at the start of his reign as manager though.

Were we not top at Christmas with one of the best defensive records in the UK?

(Whilst acknowledging the arse collapse that followed).

BigKev
06-11-2019, 04:30 PM
Some folk would rather have Yogi who was sacked as Hartlepool manager than Jack Ross. Go figure.

Diclonius
06-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Some folk would rather have Yogi who was sacked as Hartlepool manager than Jack Ross. Go figure.

Jack Ross hates Hartlepool! Coincidence? :wink:

Gmack7
06-11-2019, 04:37 PM
Going out of the Scottish Cup to Ross County (who finished fifth in the second tier that season) after going in front three times over 180 minutes, conceding a potential semi-final against a then-stuttering Celtic

not sure there's a clamour

500miles
06-11-2019, 04:38 PM

The laughing, as if it's rediculous. You can not want him, but the sneering can only be ignorance.

MWHIBBIES
06-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Was pretty dreadful first time, really don't want him back.

The 90+2
06-11-2019, 04:41 PM
The laughing, as if it's rediculous. You can not want him, but the sneering can only be ignorance.

I’ve no idea why anyone would want a manager we sacked back when he’s then went on to be sacked three teams in a row. I love Yogi but his times been and gone.

ionahibby
06-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Wasn’t there a massive changing room bust up after a midweek game we lost (sure it was rugby park) then came out after and joked everything was fine in the interview. The writing was on the wall at that point and I shudder to think having him back giving the “I’m fae leith” talk.

500miles
06-11-2019, 04:45 PM

Hartlepool hadn't won in 20 games before Yogi turned up. He improved things a bit, but couldn't save them. Tough gig in a new league.

Callum_62
06-11-2019, 04:47 PM
When did he actually last work?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

HAZ2000
06-11-2019, 04:47 PM
Why did he leave Inverness? Surely not for Raith

pacoluna
06-11-2019, 04:50 PM

And others want a guy who was sacked by Rotherham and STM.

bawheid
06-11-2019, 04:51 PM

Couldn’t match his ambition.

Billy Whizz
06-11-2019, 04:51 PM

His budget was drastically reduced

hibbydog
06-11-2019, 05:04 PM
John Hughes signed Edwin De Graff

H18 SFR
06-11-2019, 05:08 PM

On paper he was a player.

The 90+2
06-11-2019, 05:19 PM
And others want a guy who was sacked by Rotherham and STM.

Boy who relegated Bolton before getting sacked done not a bad job here so I can see why.

Kato
06-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Because a lot of folk see him as a bit rough around the edges and not ideal for PR purposes.

If Biffa Bacon was a good manager I doubt anyone would object to him getting the job.

"A lot of people" don't want him because he wasn't very good the last time.

Gmack7
06-11-2019, 05:22 PM
I think Yogi could be a good assistant but certainly not our manager /head coach again

06-11-2019, 05:25 PM

On paper he was a player.

But we don't play on paper .... boom boom!
Seriously, Yogi........ no thanks.
Had his opportunity and didn't work out. Lets move forward not back.

Greencore
06-11-2019, 05:31 PM
Would take yogi as an assistant or coach.

Pretty Boy
06-11-2019, 05:41 PM
The Hibs job wasn't good for Hughes.

I posted the other day that I sat right behind the Hibs dug out for what proved to be his last game in charge v St Johnstone. They guy had completely lost the plot, arguing with and swearing at fans, bigging up one of the young lads on the bench then swearing and shouting at him 2 minutes later. He looked like a man on the edge and it had been coming for weeks.

I'm sure he's a nice guy but him and Hibs just aren't a good fit imo.

Leith Green
06-11-2019, 05:51 PM
I remember a large part of Yogis time as being a complete disaster. He did well for a long spell , then it fell to pieces.. His time was well and truly up by the time he was sacked and i would be massively disappointed if he were to become manager for a 2nd spell

KeithTheHibby
06-11-2019, 05:57 PM
Yogi would be a dreadful appointment.

HibbyAndy
06-11-2019, 06:39 PM
No ****ing danger i want him anywhere near us 2nd time around

Speedway
06-11-2019, 06:49 PM
The boy was the end of a bell.

No ta very much, in any capacity,

The Captain....
06-11-2019, 08:00 PM
Anytime I see him summarising a game I either disagree with most of what he says or suspect he is giving the tv folk what they want to hear. As a result hes got friends in the media which is what is driving him being mentioned in connection with the job.

I doubt hed get an interview personally.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
06-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Yogi's pals bigging him up. Don't even think he would get on our short list

Bobby's Cinema
06-11-2019, 08:10 PM
I would compare the thought of appointing Yogi with the feeling of McLeish getting the Scotland job.

Torto7
06-11-2019, 08:13 PM
I always felt Hughes had the rug pulled from under him the last time and of all our departed managers I think he's the one who should feel most hard done by. I know there was a lot of pressure on him towards the end of his time with Hibs but I didn't want him to go.

As a club we've generally not been too bad at losing good players late in transfer windows but he lost Stokes at the end of August. That's a lot of goals to lose from your side, and the sticking plasters of Daryl Duffy and Valdas Trakys were abysmal replacements.

To have one full season and one 4th placed finish in the league (with European qualification) on his cv with Hibs is pretty decent.

I got the feeling that his tenure was the one that was most undermined by Petrie and his transfer market fannying about. Obviously we've had a few stinking transfer windows since then (notably Fenlon's last and Heckingbottom's recent one) but that window was absolutely crippling for Yogi.

When Yogi left, he still left a decent legacy with some good players. His successor was the biggest disaster we've had as manager so far, who turned "something to work with" into poor Pat Fenlon's poisoned chalice.

Great post and I agree. Petrie shafted Yogi then gave us Calderwood who fitted Rods idea of what a football manager should be. :brickwall

I wouldn't bring him back though. The game moves on quickly and he's been out of the loop for too long.

B.H.F.C
06-11-2019, 11:38 PM
All I remember about his time is that it was one end of the scale to the other. For a spell we played some unbelievable stuff, but when it was bad it was really, really bad.

I’m sure that when we won at Parkhead (Galbraith winner) we were only a few points off the top of the league and that was January heading in to February. It didn’t half go wrong from there.

The 90+2
06-11-2019, 11:51 PM
The only chance Hughes has of being back at Easter Road in a capacity is if it’s number two to Owen Coyle or part of his backroom staff. Even that is a long shot of a long shot.

bigwheel
07-11-2019, 04:45 AM
The only chance Hughes has of being back at Easter Road in a capacity is if it’s number two to Owen Coyle or part of his backroom staff. Even that is a long shot of a long shot.

Owen Coyle ?? Critiqued by his last two clubs as a “disaster”...I’d rather have Hughes - by a long shot

Since452
07-11-2019, 05:14 AM
I don't think he'll even be considered

berwickhibee
07-11-2019, 05:28 AM
Hartlepool hadn't won in 20 games before Yogi turned up. He improved things a bit, but couldn't save them. Tough gig in a new league.

Spot on.

JimBHibees
07-11-2019, 05:56 AM
I don't think he'll even be considered

Agree just his mates telling the football world he is still looking for a coaching job.

Beefster
07-11-2019, 06:32 AM

I really don’t want Hughes but I’d take him long before Owen Coyle.

lyonhibs
07-11-2019, 07:33 AM
Very good half season at the start of his reign as manager though.

Were we not top at Christmas with one of the best defensive records in the UK?

(Whilst acknowledging the arse collapse that followed).

Not sure about top at Christmas but that was exciting times - one of the more bipolar seasons, even by our standards and made the absolute implosion all the more galling and inexplicable from the outside (and seemingly the inside as Yogi seemed to have not the faintest whiff of a scooby how to fix it). I remember our annual pre-season friendly against Dunfermline and Paddy Cregg ran the show with the full backs often the highest players up the park practically and thought this could be the start of something great.

Ultimately, it certainly wasn't.

Percy Vere
07-11-2019, 08:32 AM

Good points. I like him but not the next manager.
My bamboozlement also extends to the Collins lovers.
Dinnae understand!

Hermit Crab
07-11-2019, 08:46 AM
Bigging up Yogi for the gig🤣

That would be a step backwards make no mistake.

Carheenlea
07-11-2019, 08:46 AM
Yogi should have walked after the defeat away to Ross County in the midweek Cup replay back in 2010. There were some good times early on but the spiral downward was well on it’s way when we were put out of the cup after two dreadful performances against what at the time was a Ross County side playing in the first division who we should have been seeing off without too much fuss. Think that was the biggest Hibs crowd I’ve seen up there, and it was an embarrassing night.
John Hughes is a likeable and infectious character, and while I think he and John Collins could have something worthy to offer I doubt it would be a good fit at Hibs.

WestCoastHibby
07-11-2019, 09:04 AM
I would compare the thought of appointing Yogi with the feeling of McLeish getting the Scotland job.

That’s very well observed

Brizo
07-11-2019, 11:00 AM
The Hibs job wasn't good for Hughes.

I posted the other day that I sat right behind the Hibs dug out for what proved to be his last game in charge v St Johnstone. They guy had completely lost the plot, arguing with and swearing at fans, bigging up one of the young lads on the bench then swearing and shouting at him 2 minutes later. He looked like a man on the edge and it had been coming for weeks.

I'm sure he's a nice guy but him and Hibs just aren't a good fit imo.

Yogis various pals from Rice to Kaneo to Preston are all bigging him up which is no surprise given the incestuous wee world of Scottish football. The above is an accurate description of how he conducted himself on the touchline in the latter stages of his tenure and I also heard enough about the dressing room culture at the time to think that was pretty much how he was behind the scenes when it wasn't going his way.

He gave us a great 2/3 of a season which secured us a European spot and some of the football was great in that initial period but that's not enough for me to think he should be given a second stint in charge

heretoday
07-11-2019, 03:39 PM
Owen Coyle ?? Critiqued by his last two clubs as a “disaster”...I’d rather have Hughes - by a long shot

Too right. I'd go for Hughes anyway. He's got an up and down record but who hasn't?