PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle and Australia

Sproule Three
06-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Aus squad for WC qualifier in Jordan next week will he announced tomorrow .
Almost guaranteed that Boyle will be selected .
Should Hibs do what Arsenal done with Tierney and request he doesn’t go as we need him to get fully match fit
Obviously he’ll want to go .
Big tournie for Aus next June as they’ve been invited to play in Copa America ( figure that one out) Sure he’ll be desperate to cement his place in squad before then and will be desperate to play .

Too important a player fo us to risk losing agIn but obviously I’m one of the few Hibs fans who really wants him to do well for Australia.
Big dilemma !

Since452
06-11-2019, 07:46 AM
Great for him but but the Australia thing hasn't been good for us

staunchhibby
06-11-2019, 08:00 AM
Would rather he stayed here to get up to full fitness.

The 90+2
06-11-2019, 08:03 AM
Can’t grudge any player an opportunist of playing international football in all honesty, especially when they have a great chance of always making the World Cup.

hibee-boys
06-11-2019, 08:08 AM
I thought his form dipped after being selected for the Oz squad. We really need the old Boyler back fit and on form. You'd think he'd not be considered on the back of a few mins football and clearly not being fully match fit. Hope common sense prevails this time round.

Curried
06-11-2019, 08:08 AM
If the Boyler feels he’s fit enough to be selected then I wish him all the best if he is selected.

GreenCastle
06-11-2019, 08:17 AM
Boyle in Copa America - probably one of the most random sentences ever.

Billy Whizz
06-11-2019, 08:31 AM
Celtic stopped Rogic going last month, because of his injuries

Keyser Sauzee
06-11-2019, 09:05 AM
Teams shouldn’t stop players going away on international duties

lucky
06-11-2019, 09:32 AM
He should stay out of the international game until he’s back playing 90 minutes week in week out for Hibs

SlickShoes
06-11-2019, 09:34 AM
He needs games to get up to match fitness, if he is back to normal injury-wise then he should be going and playing.

Jack Ferrigan
06-11-2019, 09:51 AM
He should stay out of the international game until he’s back playing 90 minutes week in week out for Hibs

I agree Lucky. It's common sense to get
a player fit before letting them be
considered for international duty, not
to mention giving The Hibs some service.

heretoday
06-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Don't let him go. He works for Hibs and he's just come back form a long spell out.

JimBHibees
06-11-2019, 11:38 AM

Agree can't imagine the traveling would benefit his recovery. Should stay here and get nearer being able to start games.

Man Down Under
06-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Up to him really, I'd be raging if my work told me I couldn't represent my country because it didn't suit them.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

Barman Stanton
06-11-2019, 11:46 AM
Wouldnt be a good move trying to stop any of our players playing international football. That kind of thing could work against you when trying to sign players.

davhibby
06-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Up to him really, I'd be raging if my work told me I couldn't represent my country because it didn't suit them.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

He’s played less than 45 minutes of first team football in 11 months. I’d like to think Australia will be sensible enough to know he’s not ready

LaMotta
06-11-2019, 01:45 PM
Given how ***** Scotland are its a joke that he never got a Scotland call up before the Australia call came.

HoboHarry
06-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Don't let him go. He works for Hibs and he's just come back form a long spell out.
What if he wants to go?

Centre Hawf
06-11-2019, 01:54 PM
If he wants to go then fine all power to him. I'd prefer he stayed this time round and focussed. But I also don't want him to miss out on the opportunity to play in tournaments either.

CraigHibee
06-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Difficult call, boyle is going to be a very important player for us for the next while given our current position

06-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Teams shouldn’t stop players going away on international duties

Yes they should. They pay their wages and if there is any doubt about their fitness the club should have the final say. Boyle was not 100% fit last time he went off to join Australia and look what happened. If ever a player was missed by Hibs during 2019 it has been Boyle. He is at the stage of getting 10 minutes or so each game which means he is nowhere near match fit and that huddy of an Australian manager will over train him and play him if he thinks it will help to get him a result.
The club has every right to protect the investment they have made in Boyle.

vercol36
06-11-2019, 05:32 PM
He’s not Australian. So it’s a no from me.

Green Badger
06-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Yes they should. They pay their wages and if there is any doubt about their fitness the club should have the final say. Boyle was not 100% fit last time he went off to join Australia and look what happened. If ever a player was missed by Hibs during 2019 it has been Boyle. He is at the stage of getting 10 minutes or so each game which means he is nowhere near match fit and that huddy of an Australian manager will over train him and play him if he thinks it will help to get him a result.
The club has every right to protect the investment they have made in Boyle.

I agree, if he was fully fit then ok but he's nowhere near that and as his employers I think Hibs have every right to request he does not travel.

fiolex1
06-11-2019, 09:26 PM
He has got a bad case of the ****s, seen him in Costco buying 60 toilet rollls

lord bunberry
06-11-2019, 09:48 PM
Given how ***** Scotland are its a joke that he never got a Scotland call up before the Australia call came.
Yip and we wouldn’t be having this discussion right now. When you see some of the players in the current squad, some of which many of us have never heard of it’s unbelievable that Boyle hasn’t had a call up.

Jim44
06-11-2019, 10:42 PM
It’s a shame but if he’s not fit enough to play 90 minutes, it’s foolhardy to let him play for Australia. If he got a start at the weekend and came through it well, then it could be on.

neil7908
06-11-2019, 10:54 PM
What if he wants to go?

Explain that he's just back from from a couple of terrible injuries and that although we support his goal of the playing international football, as Hibs pay his wages we need to consider what's best for the club and him.

Plenty of clubs block players from international football. Arsenal have just prevented Tierney from joining up with Scotland.

Forza Fred
07-11-2019, 12:20 AM

Unfortunately clubs cannot refuse to release a player for an international game.

They can request he not be picked, or pressure the player not to go, but cannot stop him under FIFA regulations.

Australia played hardball recently when then Huddersfield midfielder Aaron Mooy pulled out of an international claiming injury.

Despite Mooy being someone who would walk over broken glass to play for his country, Oz still flew the team doctor over to England to confirm that he was injured.

LaMotta
07-11-2019, 12:39 AM
Yip and we wouldn’t be having this discussion right now. When you see some of the players in the current squad, some of which many of us have never heard of it’s unbelievable that Boyle hasn’t had a call up.

Agreed mate.

Tambo
07-11-2019, 04:58 AM
I seen that kamberi is set to be called up to the Albania squad for the upcoming international break.

FRes Hibbie
07-11-2019, 05:08 AM
I seen that kamberi is set to be called up to the Albania squad for the upcoming international break.

Well that’s the song f****d.

Greenio
07-11-2019, 05:40 AM

Really? They must be desperate. Can't be based on his form. I like the guy but he's hardly been knocking them in of late

hibby rae
07-11-2019, 08:00 AM
Well that’s the song f****d.

'There's a striker, Al-ban-ian striker...'

Might still work!

Keith_M
07-11-2019, 08:04 AM
There's no way he should be allowed to go.

lyonhibs
07-11-2019, 08:11 AM
There's no way he should be allowed to go.

If it's an officially sanctioned FIFA/UEFA then Hibs can't forcibly stop him from going. Not a case of "allowing" him or not. We can't want international calibre players at the club and then when we get one prevent them from playing for their country, wherever that country may be.

The Modfather
07-11-2019, 08:18 AM

Who are the players in the current squad you’ve never heard of? The Portsmouth keeper is the only one I’m not familiar with but has been in the last few squads.

Onion
07-11-2019, 08:46 AM
Great for him but but the Australia thing hasn't been good for us

It has been a disaster for us and we should tell them where to go unless they insure his fitness for £5M.. Aus can’t expect to **** up best players, send them back to get fixed at our expense so they can have him back as soon as they’re fixed.

SMAXXA
07-11-2019, 09:28 AM
It has been a disaster for us and we should tell them where to go unless they insure his fitness for £5M.. Aus can’t expect to **** up best players, send them back to get fixed at our expense so they can have him back as soon as they’re fixed.

I’m pretty sure they covered all costs when he got injured for them including wages etc, I think this is common place but doesn’t getvaway from the fact clubs are missing the player on the park.

Sproule Three
07-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Squad announced tomorrow - Friday lunchtime - Aus time .
Thought it was today .
No media reports indicating that he’s not going to be released.
Fully expect him to be selected

Onion
07-11-2019, 09:49 AM
I’m pretty sure they covered all costs when he got injured for them including wages etc, I think this is common place but doesn’t getvaway from the fact clubs are missing the player on the park.

Ok, didn't know that happened in int football. So Boyles wages used to bring Middleton on loan ?

Sproule Three
07-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Ok, didn't know that happened in int football. So Boyles wages used to bring Middleton on loan ?

his injury at beginning of this season had nothing to do with Australian commitments .
There would have been compensation paid for the one he got in Asian Cup

Sproule Three
07-11-2019, 06:55 PM
Squad named this morning .He’s in !

Billy Whizz
07-11-2019, 07:05 PM
Squad named this morning .He’s in !

Thought the game was in Australia, but it’s in Jordan, so not as much travelling

blackpoolhibs
07-11-2019, 07:23 PM
He has got a bad case of the ****s, seen him in Costco buying 60 toilet rollls

What a fanny, where's his merlot?

Since452
08-11-2019, 05:45 AM
I find it nuts we haven't asked Australia not to include him. He's not even fit enough to be starting games for us yet. Hibs saying we're obliged to let him go. Why can Arsenal do it with Tierney who's been fit and avaliable for weeks now?

MWHIBBIES
08-11-2019, 05:51 AM
I find it nuts we haven't asked Australia not to include him. He's not even fit enough to be starting games for us yet. Hibs saying we're obliged to let him go. Why can Arsenal do it with Tierney who's been fit and avaliable for weeks now?
How do you know we haven't asked? We may have and they've done it anyway. Arsenal asked and Scotland agreed.

lyonhibs
08-11-2019, 05:55 AM
How do you know we haven't asked? We may have and they've done it anyway. Arsenal asked and Scotland agreed.

Indeed. But any hypothetical stick to beat the club with must be grabbed with both hands don't you know? :greengrin

Allant1981
08-11-2019, 06:29 AM

The club have said they were obliged to let him go, doesnt sound like they put up much of a fight does it

Since452
08-11-2019, 09:14 AM

By the clubs response on Twitter

Eyrie
08-11-2019, 06:14 PM
The club have said they were obliged to let him go, doesnt sound like they put up much of a fight does it

The use of the word "obliged" struck me as meaning that they didn't want him to go but had no choice in the matter if Australia wanted him.

WoreTheGreen
08-11-2019, 06:19 PM
What have the Australians if done for us?

superfurryhibby
09-11-2019, 09:28 AM
Boyle should be declining. Hibs pay the wages and his career may be in question if he sustained another injury.

He owes Hibs a lot, we gave him the platform to become a better player and we really, really need him fit and on the field for us. Boyle should be seriously considering where his loyalties and priorities lie.

Speedy
09-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Boyle should be declining. Hibs pay the wages and his career may be in question if he sustained another injury.

He owes Hibs a lot, we gave him the platform to become a better player and we really, really need him fit and on the field for us. Boyle should be seriously considering where his loyalties and priorities lie.

On the other hand, if he gets in the squad and has a good tournament then he may earn us a big transfer fee.

Even on a personal note, we should let him go. Wouldn't want to see the club stand in anyone's way.

Robbo6-2
09-11-2019, 09:53 AM
Hope Boyle starts today

Forza Fred
09-11-2019, 10:37 AM
Hope Boyle starts today

Really?

Many on this thread don't think he is fit enough to play.

Jim44
09-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Really?

Many on this thread don't think he is fit enough to play.

I think you’re misinterpreting what some folk are saying. My reference to him not being fit enough, for example, is based on the club saying he wasn’t fit enough and not my opinion.

Forza Fred
09-11-2019, 11:25 AM
I think you’re misinterpreting what some folk are saying. My reference to him not being fit enough, for example, is based on the club saying he wasn’t fit enough and not my opinion.

You have me at a disadvantage then Jim as I genuinely haven't seen where the club has said he is not fit enough to play.

I fully expect him (possibly wrongly) to be playing today.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2019, 11:27 AM

Boyle owes Hibs 100% every time he steps on the pitch, nothing else. His loyalties correctly lie with himself. His career will not be in doubt if he gets another injury. It's 2019, it's extremely rare players need to retire from bad injuries these days.

Jim44
09-11-2019, 11:32 AM
You have me at a disadvantage then Jim as I genuinely haven't seen where the club has said he is not fit enough to play.

I fully expect him (possibly wrongly) to be playing today.

I’m pretty sure I heard PH mentioning that he wasn’t ready for ninety minutes. Maybe , in retrospect, he was meaning match fitness as opposed to physical fitness. I would like to see him start today.

Forza Fred
09-11-2019, 11:53 AM
I’m pretty sure I heard PH mentioning that he wasn’t ready for ninety minutes. Maybe , in retrospect, he was meaning match fitness as opposed to physical fitness. I would like to see him start today.

Match fitness I agree..but again that's Hecky's judgement and we all respect that:wink:

Seriously, I get the concern over Martin, and share it myself, but at times it has seemed to me at least, to be a bit over the top.

To try and ease the concern, allow me to paraphrase what the Socceroos coach Graham Arnold said at the press conference a few days ago when he named the squad.....(which I can't copy and paste here due to being a computer numpty)

He said that he was aware that 'Boyley'' as he called him, had not started for Hibs in the league this season through injury, and that he had only been used in the past couple of games in the latter part of the second half (he may even have quoted the number of minutes, I can't remember) of games recently

He also said that he had a long conversation with Martin and told him that he would NOT be starting and that he would be used only as an impact substitute if the game required it.

He said that 'Boyley" understood the situation exactly, and was happy with the arrangement.

He said that Martin was a positive character both on the field and in the dressing room, and that he wanted to get him back in the squad asap .

Doesn't sound much different to Hibs approach I have to say, and I'm pretty sure Graham Arnold would have discussed with Hecky at the time, but obviously |I don't know for sure.

I think he WILL take the pitch at some point..even if Oz are 6-0 up, as his appearance would tie him to Australia, as the other games he played in were not deemed by FIFA to be '"çompetitive' matches and technically, at the moment Martin could still play for Scotland.

Having said all that I too hope he starts tomorrow morning at 2am my time, scores a hat trick and avoids injury.:agree:

A Hi-Bee
09-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Hibs should never stand in a players way if they happen to be called up to play for any country.

EdinMike
09-11-2019, 12:45 PM
If he’s happy then why stop him. His enthusiasm rubs off on people no doubt he’s the kind of person you want in the dressing room.

Allant1981
09-11-2019, 12:50 PM
Hibs should never stand in a players way if they happen to be called up to play for any country.

Of course not but he has only just came back from a bad injury, the club should be the ones to decide how they get him fit

superfurryhibby
09-11-2019, 01:02 PM
Boyle owes Hibs 100% every time he steps on the pitch, nothing else. His loyalties correctly lie with himself. His career will not be in doubt if he gets another injury. It's 2019, it's extremely rare players need to retire from bad injuries these days.

A tad naive. A second serious cruciate injury would be a significant issue for any footballer.

Does loyalties lying with yourself apply to players like Ambrose or managers like McLeish who left for more cash?

So, his personal desire to play for Australia is more important than the need to help Hibs out of the deep **** we currently wallow in, I think not.

Keyser Sauzee
09-11-2019, 01:34 PM
Players going away is part and parcel of football, the opinion that we should stand in any players way regardless of fitness is completely selfish and is not the attitude I ever want Hibs to adopt.