PDA

View Full Version : Scotland squad

Allant1981
05-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned the latest squad, steven Naismith is somehow straight back into the squad despite being injured for months, no space for porteous either, thought he might have got a wee call up to prepare for the future, cant qualify so nothing to lose

Diclonius
05-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Hopefully Shankland can get a few goals, if anyone's our best bet for future striker it's him.

Otherwise, not bothered and probably won't watch.

Scottie
05-11-2019, 05:49 PM
What the hell is the point in keeping the same dead beats that have failed time and time again during this campaign. Thought Clarke was going to blood some new players heading towards the play off games. As for Naismith do me a favour. :confused:

Willis1875
05-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Any opportunity for Naismith to get injured again is fine by me

Fife-Hibee
05-11-2019, 05:55 PM
Any opportunity for Naismith to get injured again is fine by me

There’s always this, little ****ing rat !

Allant1981
05-11-2019, 06:37 PM
What the hell is the point in keeping the same dead beats that have failed time and time again during this campaign. Thought Clarke was going to blood some new players heading towards the play off games. As for Naismith do me a favour. :confused:

Yip it's the same rubbish as before unfortunately

Jones28
05-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Seems nuts not to use these games to develop the youngsters.

Since452
05-11-2019, 06:46 PM
Old chocolate knees Naismith's call up is head scratching stuff

Jim44
05-11-2019, 06:46 PM
Naismith was in the last squad when he was unfit to play for his club. He is still unfit to play 90 minutes but he’s in the squad again. I thought Clarke would have been a bit of fresh air in the Scotland setup but I don't follow his logic.

gaz1875
05-11-2019, 06:47 PM
Can't believe he selected someone that has hardly kicked a ball so far this season and is finished at that level. Hoefully a hamstring injury finishes his season.

weecounty hibby
05-11-2019, 06:52 PM
My initial good feelings about Clarke diminish with every squad he announces.

bod
05-11-2019, 06:54 PM
I’m sure he’s on 49 caps.
Clarke will give him the last 15 minutes at Hampden then Naismith will retire from international duty to concentrate on club football

Frankhfc
05-11-2019, 07:00 PM
Hopefully Shankland can get a few goals, if anyone's our best bet for future striker it's him.

Otherwise, not bothered and probably won't watch.

We should have snapped him up before Dufc did but other clubs will be thinking the same thing, however, I definitely hope he scores for Scotland and goes on to be a regular goal-scorer. Naismith's call up is mystifying but Porteous's time will come and rightfully so.

Sylar
05-11-2019, 07:10 PM
I'm pleased to see Declan Gallagher getting a call-up. He had a great year last year at Livingston, and has continued to turn in some excellent performances this year with Motherwell.

Genuine question - has Greg Taylor played a game for Celtc yet? I've not seen much of them, so my apologies if it's a silly question and he's getting regular game-time.

It's not actually the worst squad he's put together in his time as manager all things considered. There are some players in there in great domestic form just now (Robertson, Gallagher, McGinn, Jack, Christie, Fleck, McTominay, McBurnie and Shankland) and he's omitted some of the ageing players that have failed to inspire recently (Russell, Mulgrew, obviously Snodgrass retired...).

Again, he can only piss with the cock he's got, and it's about finding an experienced yet settled side to get a few games together in preparation for the knockouts.

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-11-2019, 07:30 PM
Remarkable call up, what is Clark thinking about?

supersauzee
05-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Can't believe naismith, mcburnie and Burke are anywhere near that squad. Thought Clarke would be an improvement but it's same old rubbish

Joe6-2
05-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Old chocolate knees Naismith's call up is head scratching stuff

It defies belief, along with logic
Little rat

JimBHibees
05-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Naismith call up seems bizarre. Is Griffiths anywhere near fit?

#2 Double Tap
05-11-2019, 07:56 PM
Naismith was in the last squad when he was unfit to play for his club. He is still unfit to play 90 minutes but he’s in the squad again. I thought Clarke would have been a bit of fresh air in the Scotland setup but I don't follow his logic.

maybe just a wee dig toward the rangers fans.

Allant1981
05-11-2019, 08:38 PM
Naismith call up seems bizarre. Is Griffiths anywhere near fit?

Dont think so but Naismith cant be fitter surely

The Modfather
05-11-2019, 09:40 PM
Can't believe naismith, mcburnie and Burke are anywhere near that squad. Thought Clarke would be an improvement but it's same old rubbish

Out of interest who would you have picked instead?

SMAXXA
05-11-2019, 10:40 PM
Out of interest who would you have picked instead?

Hornby I’d have instead of Naismith, one at the start of their career the other at the end.

And I’d have anyone ahead of the other 2 wasters don’t rate either, Naismith is a better player for me.

Onceinawhile
06-11-2019, 07:17 AM
Hornby I’d have instead of Naismith, one at the start of their career the other at the end.

And I’d have anyone ahead of the other 2 wasters don’t rate either, Naismith is a better player for me.

How's hornby getting on?

I assume he's been playing regularly?

Gordy M
06-11-2019, 07:27 AM
Scotland have potentially 2 massive games coming up in March next year. With that in mind im sure Clarke is trying to put together a team to win those games, hence the non inclusion of youngsters at this stage. I think that will come in time.

Mantis Toboggan
06-11-2019, 07:31 AM
I'm pleased to see Declan Gallagher getting a call-up. He had a great year last year at Livingston, and has continued to turn in some excellent performances this year with Motherwell.

Genuine question - has Greg Taylor played a game for Celtc yet? I've not seen much of them, so my apologies if it's a silly question and he's getting regular game-time.

It's not actually the worst squad he's put together in his time as manager all things considered. There are some players in there in great domestic form just now (Robertson, Gallagher, McGinn, Jack, Christie, Fleck, McTominay, McBurnie and Shankland) and he's omitted some of the ageing players that have failed to inspire recently (Russell, Mulgrew, obviously Snodgrass retired...).

Again, he can only piss with the cock he's got, and it's about finding an experienced yet settled side to get a few games together in preparation for the knockouts.

Omitting Mulgrew means he has got at least some sense but he needs to figure out his strongest team ASAP, selections have been all over the place so far

The Modfather
06-11-2019, 09:36 AM
I don’t know much about Hornby, but it looks like he’s playing fairly regular on loan in Belgium so maybe a fair shout. Naismith is a good player it’s difficult to make a case for his inclusion in this squad and he’s not the future. McBurnie & Burke are very raw but have some potential and aren’t keeping any obvious candidates out of the squad.

I don’t envy being Scotland manager. You get criticised whoever you pick. You get criticised for picking too many old firm players, you get criticised for picking the form players from the SPL from clubs doing well like Killie, Motherwell & Aberdeen. Then you get criticised for not picking players that folk can’t name alternatives to because, sadly, the pool to choose from in certain positions is barren.

Scottie
06-11-2019, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=Mantis Toboggan;5982082]Omitting Mulgrew means he has got at least some sense but he needs to figure out his strongest team ASAP, selections have been all over the place so far[/QUOTE

The only reason he has been omitted from the squad is because he has a hamstring injury not because Clarke has dropped him. :rolleyes:

Gordy M
06-11-2019, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=Mantis Toboggan;5982082]Omitting Mulgrew means he has got at least some sense but he needs to figure out his strongest team ASAP, selections have been all over the place so far[/QUOTE

The only reason he has been omitted from the squad is because he has a hamstring injury not because Clarke has dropped him. :rolleyes:

Tbf Mulgrew was only picked because we were missing i think 5 centre halfs. If everyone is fit, Mulgrew will not be playing.

hibby rae
12-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Robertson, McTominay and Fraser all pull out the squad with Shinnie and Morgan coming in.

Does Fraser have a bit of previous for this?

cabbageandribs1875
12-11-2019, 10:08 AM
Robertson, McTominay and Fraser all pull out the squad with Shinnie and Morgan coming in.

and liam cooper, groin injury

Vault Boy
12-11-2019, 10:14 AM
Cooper and McTominay are definitely injured. No idea on the other two.

tamig
12-11-2019, 10:44 AM

Bournemouth seem to be very precious about Fraser.

Diclonius
12-11-2019, 11:28 AM
Can't help but feel there's a few players who can't be ****ed with the national team.

SteveHFC
12-11-2019, 12:13 PM
Tierney should declare himself immediately available as the left-back postilion is up for grabs for the next 2 games.

hibby rae
12-11-2019, 12:28 PM
Tierney should declare himself immediately available as the left-back postilion is up for grabs for the next 2 games.

Lewie! 😉

SJNB Hibby
12-11-2019, 12:55 PM
For those in Canada---I note the game is on live Saturday on TSN 4, followed by the Russia-Belgium game. No sign of the Tuesday game, but there is a highlights shown on TSN5 late night

SteveHFC
12-11-2019, 04:58 PM
Porteous called up.

Vault Boy
12-11-2019, 05:01 PM
Yassss Porto

Diclonius
12-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Excellent

Since452
12-11-2019, 05:05 PM
Will be first of many caps if he takes part

Hibeesmad
12-11-2019, 05:12 PM
Fantastic news

Brightside
12-11-2019, 05:15 PM
Hanlon said no.

Sweet Left Peg
12-11-2019, 05:15 PM
That's terrific news for him and the club. Well done Ryan!

Sweet Left Peg
12-11-2019, 06:35 PM

With the quality of both players, they should both be played on the left hand side. Overlapping, underlapping, crossing, assisting, tracking back. The pair of them together would terrorise a lot of sides. It should not be the case of one or the other, rather let's use both together to our advantage. What a weapon that would be for the national side. Strachan used Tierney on the right as we didn't have great options there. But Tierney's attacking effectiveness was nullified b cause he is much weaker on his right. He kept cutting in or turning back rather than beating his man as he would on the left. Prime example was against Slovakia at home. The goal we scored came after Anya came on for Tierney and he could get to the byline.

Tierney and Robertson are both terrific left backs but playing them as a pair down the left would be the best option, for me.

Smartie
12-11-2019, 08:05 PM
With the quality of both players, they should both be played on the left hand side. Overlapping, underlapping, crossing, assisting, tracking back. The pair of them together would terrorise a lot of sides. It should not be the case of one or the other, rather let's use both together to our advantage. What a weapon that would be for the national side. Strachan used Tierney on the right as we didn't have great options there. But Tierney's attacking effectiveness was nullified b cause he is much weaker on his right. He kept cutting in or turning back rather than beating his man as he would on the left. Prime example was against Slovakia at home. The goal we scored came after Anya came on for Tierney and he could get to the byline.

Tierney and Robertson are both terrific left backs but playing them as a pair down the left would be the best option, for me.

When Hibs played the 352 at it’s best under Lennon, Hanlon and Efe were superb at coming out of defence with the ball from the side positions of a back 3. I could see Tierney and Robertson potentially managing something like that but I’m struggling to work out any other way to accommodate them both. And f knows what we’d do down the right.

HibeeBigFly
12-11-2019, 08:08 PM

It is surely time to invoke the 4 day rule with Fraser, Tierney and Robertson. Pretty sure 12 months ago they all pulled out and then went onto play the next league game. Having absolute dross like Bournemouth dictate who can’t play for the national team is if true one of the most embarrassing things that could happen in world football.

Sweet Left Peg
12-11-2019, 09:02 PM
When Hibs played the 352 at it’s best under Lennon, Hanlon and Efe were superb at coming out of defence with the ball from the side positions of a back 3. I could see Tierney and Robertson potentially managing something like that but I’m struggling to work out any other way to accommodate them both. And f knows what we’d do down the right.

I'd play a 4-5-1. Tierney left back with Robertson ahead of him. But with the quality they both have, I think they'd be a great double act defensively and going forward. Totally interchangeable. Playing Tierney on the right is using a square peg in a round hole because we are pretty weak in that area.

Diclonius
12-11-2019, 09:31 PM
It is surely time to invoke the 4 day rule with Fraser, Tierney and Robertson. Pretty sure 12 months ago they all pulled out and then went onto play the next league game. Having absolute dross like Bournemouth dictate who can’t play for the national team is if true one of the most embarrassing things that could happen in world football.

If I were Clarke I'd just go public and say we'll automatically invoke the five day rule from now on for players who pull out injured.

MWHIBBIES
12-11-2019, 10:24 PM
This wouldn't happen with Griffiths, he's never pulled out of anything

SJNB Hibby
12-11-2019, 10:41 PM
This wouldn't happen with Griffiths, he's never pulled out of anything

:not worth

KWJ
13-11-2019, 07:52 AM
Think some of the criticism here is a bit harsh. Fraser I can kind of get as he's got previous and hasn't exactly shone for Scotland yet but he is having a difficult season.

Robertson is still with the squad but isn't travelling to Cyprus so it's not like he's on the jolly and I don't doubt his commitment.

Naismith has been Scotland's best striker over the past few dismal years and is an improvement on what's there. He is completely at the other rend of the scale in that you know he'd pick Scotland over hearts any day and is desperate to get to euro 2020,be daft not to have him involved.

And as previously mentioned it's 2 final games of prep for the biggest games since the Dutch playoffs.

eastcoasthibby
13-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Cooper and McTominay are definitely injured. No idea on the other two.

They will be fine for their clubs next weekend though 👍👍👍

CMurdoch
13-11-2019, 03:13 PM
Think some of the criticism here is a bit harsh. Fraser I can kind of get as he's got previous and hasn't exactly shone for Scotland yet but he is having a difficult season.

Robertson is still with the squad but isn't travelling to Cyprus so it's not like he's on the jolly and I don't doubt his commitment.

Naismith has been Scotland's best striker over the past few dismal years and is an improvement on what's there. He is completely at the other rend of the scale in that you know he'd pick Scotland over hearts any day and is desperate to get to euro 2020,be daft not to have him involved.

And as previously mentioned it's 2 final games of prep for the biggest games since the Dutch playoffs.

It's looking like Serbia if we beat Bulgaria.
Bulgaria are pants but Serbia are a very good team with top class players :boo hoo:

hfc rd
13-11-2019, 04:36 PM
It's looking like Serbia if we beat Bulgaria.
Bulgaria are pants but Serbia are a very good team with top class players :boo hoo:

Could be Norway that we play in the final. Same boat as us in regard to not having qualified for a major tournament for a very long time. They’ve done pretty well in a very tough qualifying group that includes Spain, Sweden & Romania. Could still automatically qualify but chances are slightly slim. Also they have that young quality goal scoring machine from Salzburg - Haaland.