PDA

View Full Version : Strachan for me.

Wellbankhibby
05-11-2019, 10:44 AM
Gordon Strachan fits the bill for me. Would attract players. Plenty of contacts. Hibs need someone to motivate them he would certainly do that. Ask the question if he says no get Collins back and yogi as his assistant. Also plunder Motherwell for their scout.

BoyledEgg
05-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Robert Grieve saying it’s a non-starter

Lancs Harp
05-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Just out of interest, when was the last time GS actually managed a club side?

The Harp Awakes
05-11-2019, 11:24 AM
Robert Grieve saying it’s a non-starter

I suspect he wouldn't want to return to front line management. It would be a great move for Hibs though if they persuaded him.

number9dream
05-11-2019, 11:45 AM
The wee chap is on record saying he doesn't want to manage again. He also keeps banging on about how happy he is working with the kids' teams in his role at Dundee. However, I don't know how much time he actually spends at the club since his family are down south.
He might fancy one last job and there would be an emotional pull but I just don't see it happening.

MrRobot
05-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Hope we're not interested in Strachan at all.

Wellbankhibby
05-11-2019, 12:49 PM
Just out of interest, when was the last time GS actually managed a club side?. Does it matter. Your not telling me he wouldn't do a great job at Hibs. He would get the best out of this team.

Lancs Harp
05-11-2019, 12:51 PM
. Does it matter. Your not telling me he wouldn't do a great job at Hibs. He would get the best out of this team.

Hey i just asked out of interest as I stated at the start

Wellbankhibby
05-11-2019, 12:51 PM
Hope we're not interested in Strachan at all.

Why would you say that. He would without a doubt be a Brilliant Appointment if Hibs could persuade him.

Spooky
05-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Gordon Strachan fits the bill for me. Would attract players. Plenty of contacts. Hibs need someone to motivate them he would certainly do that. Ask the question if he says no get Collins back and yogi as his assistant. Also plunder Motherwell for their scout.
Totally agree!

He did well with Scotland........

See what happened before and after he left?

Maybe with John Collins as a Director/Coach team :thumbsup:

Loads of experience and skill.

Both Hibs men? Top Team.

Fingers crossed!!!

BigKev
05-11-2019, 01:08 PM
No thanks to Strachan, JC or Yogi.

Strachan failed in his last job at club level, JC almost ruined us with atrocious signings and Yogi... well he failed miserably at the mighty Raith.

If folk seriously want any of they 3 then they need to seek help.

MB62
05-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Strachan would be my choice, even if it was to the end of the season, with maybe bringing McPake with him with a view to taking over himself either next season or season after? Strachan could then be possibly fitted in to work with our youths ultimately, a job he seems to enjoy at Dundee.

Just throwing an idea about, but that might possibly work for all concerned?

Percy Vere
05-11-2019, 01:12 PM

Why would you want Collins? Loved him as a player but Don't get this fascination for someone tge players detested. He did nothing and I haven't seen much of him since. Yogi would not play second string to that prima Donna.

supermcginn
05-11-2019, 01:13 PM
Sun ruling out any possibility of Strachan coming in.

Jim44
05-11-2019, 01:27 PM

I didn’t read that but I was surprised to read that the announcement of a new manager will be delayed until after the international break. That’s two weeks today.

500miles
05-11-2019, 01:31 PM

Strachan failed in his last job at club level, JC almost ruined us with atrocious signings and Yogi... well he failed miserably at the mighty Raith.

Raith has proven to be a poisoned chalice. He won the Scottish cup with Inverness and walked away when the board wouldn't support him.

The Harp Awakes
05-11-2019, 01:39 PM

Not sure whst the Sun knows, but this is what Strachan said in January when he was being linked with the job at Lennon's departure:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibernian/in-full/gordon-strachan-responds-to-speculation-linking-him-with-hibs-job-1-4864950/amp

Didn't exactly close the door on the idea then. I think he could be tempted with the right offer.

lyonhibs
05-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Would be great but pie in the sky thinking I fear. I wouldn't go as far as saying I'd bathe in a bath of beans if Strachan turned up as our next permanent manager but not far off.

California-Hibs
05-11-2019, 03:04 PM
Ive always said it, I'd be delighted to have Strachan as our manager. He done very well with Scotland and knows his stuff. Very well respected within the game.

Hibeez70
05-11-2019, 03:27 PM
t.[/QUOTE]
No rookie manager this time round ! Need a tried and tested manager who knows the Scottish game and one that doesn't take any passengers in his team ! Need a strong character who fights till the very end ! The old hibs way !!!! Strachan would fit the bill but there are so many more

Gmack7
05-11-2019, 03:46 PM
Strachan and Darren Fletcher would be my choice. It would be a gamble but worth trying IMO

HFCcammy1875
05-11-2019, 03:55 PM
Strachan and Darren Fletcher would be my choice. It would be a gamble but worth trying IMO

Look where we are in the table mate a don’t think we could afford to gamble tbh

Gmack7
05-11-2019, 04:15 PM

every appointment will be a gamble at our level. but i feel it would be worth taking

Wellbankhibby
05-11-2019, 04:18 PM

Well Big keV who do you want Jack Ross or Alan Stubbs. We need someone to motivate the team and youngsters to look up too. On recent form we can't take chances. Motivation is so important. In my opinion Strachan and Neil Lennon would have turned all of our draws into wins.

Wellbankhibby
05-11-2019, 04:21 PM
t.
No rookie manager this time round ! Need a tried and tested manager who knows the Scottish game and one that doesn't take any passengers in his team ! Need a strong character who fights till the very end ! The old hibs way !!!! Strachan would fit the bill but there are so many more[/QUOTE]

100% well said. Totally agree with you

Wellbankhibby
05-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Why would you want Collins? Loved him as a player but Don't get this fascination for someone tge players detested. He did nothing and I haven't seen much of him since. Yogi would not play second string to that prima Donna.
Collins has always been the ultimate professional in my opinion the players sold him down the river because he wanted them to work hard and look after their fitness. As a player he was brilliant for Hibs and even stayed with us when he had the opportunity to go to Celtic previously he signed on again at ER.

Wellbankhibby
05-11-2019, 04:28 PM

I don't think Strachan would be a gamble intact If he was offered the Managers job we will comfortably be top six this season and challenging for Honours next season

CathroMustStay
05-11-2019, 06:14 PM
Genetically speaking, I'm opposed to Strachan being involved in any capacity at Easter Road.

Waxy
05-11-2019, 06:36 PM

But what does the moon say????????

BigKev
05-11-2019, 06:54 PM
Well Big keV who do you want Jack Ross or Alan Stubbs. We need someone to motivate the team and youngsters to look up too. On recent form we can't take chances. Motivation is so important. In my opinion Strachan and Neil Lennon would have turned all of our draws into wins.

That’s a bold statement. All our draws into wins?

Strachan is yesterday’s man. JC too egotistical and Yogi is just not someone I’d want anywhere near us. He wasn’t good enough first time around so why has he became the messiah now?

Stubbs won us the cup. I can’t see how anyone would have ill feeling towards him. Ross, if appointed, will have my backing. Would he be my choice? I doubt it. I’d open the recruitment up to applications and cast an eye over the candidates.

Wellbankhibby
05-11-2019, 08:17 PM

Strachan is yesterday’s man. JC too egotistical and Yogi is just not someone I’d want anywhere near us. He wasn’t good enough first time around so why has he became the messiah now?

Stubbs won us the cup. I can’t see how anyone would have ill feeling towards him. Ross, if appointed, will have my backing. Would he be my choice? I doubt it. I’d open the recruitment up to applications and cast an eye over the candidates.

I would support any Hibs Manager. I don't see what Jack Ross would bring to Hibs but if appointed I wish him well. As for Stubbs yes he managed us to the best day of my footballing life but was a failure in the league. If we had lost the final he could have been sacked. As it was he walked away from us. I keep saying we need someone who will motivate us. Get some Dig And craft into the side. Strachan is that Man in my opinion.

Sammy7nil
05-11-2019, 08:19 PM

You just said no to Strachan in your earlier as he failed in his last club job yet Stubbs failed in his last two jobs and he is okay Ha Ha Ha :greengrin:aok:

BigKev
05-11-2019, 09:19 PM
You just said no to Strachan in your earlier as he failed in his last club job yet Stubbs failed in his last two jobs and he is okay Ha Ha Ha :greengrin:aok:

I didn’t say I wanted him though did I?

Sammy7nil
05-11-2019, 09:24 PM
I didn’t say I wanted him though did I?

No but you would be okay with him? Yet Strachans record is miles better and he is a definite no?

BigKev
05-11-2019, 09:30 PM
No but you would be okay with him? Yet Strachans record is miles better and he is a definite no?

No, I wouldn’t be ok with Stubbs. I said I can’t see how anyone can have ill feeling towards him. That’s completely different.

Strachan has had his day. I’d expect someone younger to be appointed.

iwasthere1972
05-11-2019, 09:30 PM
Genetically speaking, I'm opposed to Strachan being involved in any capacity at Easter Road.

I'm maybe being thick here but why? I'm only sorry that he didn't take the job after Lennon left. I'm pretty confident we would be in a better state than we are now. I like Strachan.

Sammy7nil
05-11-2019, 09:35 PM
No, I wouldn’t be ok with Stubbs. I said I can’t see how anyone can have ill feeling towards him. That’s completely different.

Strachan has had his day. I’d expect someone younger to be appointed.

Someone like Heckingbottom rather than a vastly experienced manager that knows our game inside out?

BigKev
05-11-2019, 09:43 PM
Someone like Heckingbottom rather than a vastly experienced manager that knows our game inside out?

Strachan does nothing to excite me. His record with Boro was appalling. His record with Scotland was appalling. Why the appeal? Because he’s a Hibby? He’s not managed a club team in years. That’s why I don’t want him.

It’s not up to me to find candidates. That’s the job of the board.

If you’re happy with Strachan, JC or Yogi then that’s up to you. You’re allowed an opinion. I just wouldn’t have any of them near ER.

Sammy7nil
05-11-2019, 09:54 PM
Strachan does nothing to excite me. His record with Boro was appalling. His record with Scotland was appalling. Why the appeal? Because he’s a Hibby? He’s not managed a club team in years. That’s why I don’t want him.

It’s not up to me to find candidates. That’s the job of the board.

If you’re happy with Strachan, JC or Yogi then that’s up to you. You’re allowed an opinion. I just wouldn’t have any of them near ER.

Seems strange you are willing to rule lots of people out but unwilling to offer an alternative. Strachan was not appalling as Scotland manager see McLeish and Clarke for that description. His record in Scotland (where Hibs play) ranks with almost anyone.

He is a good coach and motivator he gets players wanting to play for him. I can't think of anyone with a similar pedigree that would consider Hibs at this time.

So yeah I am happy with Strachan and I am okay with you sitting on the fence.

BigKev
05-11-2019, 09:59 PM
Seems strange you are willing to rule lots of people out but unwilling to offer an alternative. Strachan was not appalling as Scotland manager see McLeish and Clarke for that description. His record in Scotland (where Hibs play) ranks with almost anyone.

He is a good coach and motivator he gets players wanting to play for him. I can't think of anyone with a similar pedigree that would consider Hibs at this time.

So yeah I am happy with Strachan and I am okay with you sitting on the fence.

I followed Scotland mostly home and away under Strachan. We were appalling, believe me. Hecky was a good coach as well by all accounts, didn’t work out well for him.

So if Jack Ross is unveiled will you be disappointed it’s not GS?

Sammy7nil
05-11-2019, 10:04 PM
I followed Scotland mostly home and away under Strachan. We were appalling, believe me. Hecky was a good coach as well by all accounts, didn’t work out well for him.

So if Jack Ross is unveiled will you be disappointed it’s not GS?

Is that you throwing your weight behind Ross?

No I would not be disappointed but I would prefer wee Goggs.

If it is neither I will not be disappointed I will hope the new guy goes on to be a great Hibs manager.

BigKev
05-11-2019, 10:12 PM
Is that you throwing your weight behind Ross?

No I would not be disappointed but I would prefer wee Goggs.

If it is neither I will not be disappointed I will hope the new guy goes on to be a great Hibs manager.

I’m not averse to Ross but I don’t think we should jump in without assessing other candidates who might apply from down south or abroad. It’d be foolish not to consider anyone with a pedigree from a top nation.

Green Reaper
05-11-2019, 11:04 PM
I’m not averse to Ross but I don’t think we should jump in without assessing other candidates who might apply from down south or abroad. It’d be foolish not to consider anyone with a pedigree from a top nation.

Sensible post, agree that Ross could be a good choice, only time would tell, but let's not rush in and see who else is interested

heretoday
06-11-2019, 12:01 AM
I'd be surprised if GS wanted that stress in his life.

monktonharp
06-11-2019, 12:09 AM
Totally agree!

He did well with Scotland........

See what happened before and after he left?

Maybe with John Collins as a Director/Coach team :thumbsup:

Loads of experience and skill.

Both Hibs men? Top Team.

Fingers crossed!!!they're not Hibs men

monktonharp
06-11-2019, 12:13 AM
Sun ruling out any possibility of Strachan coming in.I don't take anyone that reads the Sun seriously. sorry about that

monktonharp
06-11-2019, 12:32 AM
cant take anyone seriously eIther, who thinks Stubbs failed. lost a silly late goal in the LC. Final and lost the game. missed out on promotion the same year, with late goals at Falkirk, who had a cheating referee against us at ER who cost us 3 points by not giving the most blatant penalty ever seen ! then went on to be the first ever manager to win a Scottish Cup with a second division team against another second division team. AYE,WHAT A FAILURE HE WAS.

Dashing Bob S
06-11-2019, 01:13 AM
Can’t see what Strachan would possibly offer rather than cockily interesting press conferences in the honeymoon period and infuriating obscure ones when it went array, but happy to stand corrected.

JOD
06-11-2019, 01:19 AM
Jeez there some real tossers on this site sometimes

Bangkok Hibby
06-11-2019, 03:02 AM
I'm maybe being thick here but why? I'm only sorry that he didn't take the job after Lennon left. I'm pretty confident we would be in a better state than we are now. I like Strachan.

A joke post because he's ginger?

iwasthere1972
06-11-2019, 06:52 AM

Okay. :aok:

Nothing wrong with the gingers.

heretoday
06-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Can’t see what Strachan would possibly offer rather than cockily interesting press conferences in the honeymoon period and infuriating obscure ones when it went array, but happy to stand corrected.

Agree.

WeeRussell
06-11-2019, 11:55 AM

I took it as quip regarding Strachan's comments on genetics while in charge of Scotland. Around the time he was finding excuses for making an arse of things and not playing Griffiths.

That makes it sound like I don't like GS, that's not the case. I think his time was up at Scotland (after doing a fair bit of good) and he'd started to get too much wrong. Hypothetically I wouldn't be against him taking the reins at Easter Road.

CRAZYHIBBY
06-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Strachan is not interested

supermcginn
06-11-2019, 12:02 PM
I don't take anyone that reads the Sun seriously. sorry about that

I couldn't give a ****! Lol

Bangkok Hibby
06-11-2019, 01:41 PM
I took it as quip regarding Strachan's comments on genetics while in charge of Scotland. Around the time he was finding excuses for making an arse of things and not playing Griffiths.

That makes it sound like I don't like GS, that's not the case. I think his time was up at Scotland (after doing a fair bit of good) and he'd started to get too much wrong. Hypothetically I wouldn't be against him taking the reins at Easter Road.

You're probably right..total guesswork from me :greengrin