PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon and Stevenson

Hibeesmad
05-11-2019, 10:41 AM
Yet another manager for them at Hibs, could this be their last manager?

If they don’t up their standard which we have seen so far this season I think they could be soon out the door.

greenpaper55
05-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Great servants to the club but it's time for them to move on.

Springbank
05-11-2019, 11:01 AM
I would say, in their defence, they were amongst our 2 best performers at Hampden at the weekend.
I can't remember James Forrest being as quiet as he is whenever he's up against Lewis
This isn't blind loyalty, btw, as there are other players I don't think Lewis enjoys playing against - but he has the measure of Forrest IMO.

Paul Hanlon's been a great servant, I think he's been struggling for form since coming back from injury (the number of goals he helped create in the Neil Lennon team alongside Efe & Daz was really quite something - including Scott Allan's v Hearts & Flo v Aberdeen & Hamilton that season) but the system under PH didn't help him (only in my opinion), he was a lot more exposed, and the midfield in front of him has been porous.

So, yeah, I'm sure neither would say 2019/20 has been their favourite season in their career so far, but they were stalwarts at Hampden. There were 9 others I would have singled out before them at Hampden, that's all...

easty
05-11-2019, 11:05 AM
There's little doubt in my mind that Paul Hanlon will continue to be a regular starter under the new manager, and rightly so.

He's not perfect, I'd like him to be more vocal and more aggresive, but as a centre half he'd be a regular in every team in the SPL bar Celtic and Rangers.

Marvellous
05-11-2019, 11:10 AM

If they don’t up their standard which we have seen so far this season I think they could be soon out the door.

Given that every manager we've had while Stevenson and Hanlon have been here have made them first choice players; and given that Hanlon is 29 and Stevenson is 31, both with excellent fitness, I would be very surprised if the next manager is their last.

Dalkeith Boy
05-11-2019, 11:18 AM
I think it's the poorest season I've seen them play so far, but would not write them off. I think they may well be caught up in the fact that they have been surrounded by extremely poor Heckingbottom recruits. I hope it was Hecky that was responsible for those new signings and not our existing "recruitment team".....We unfortunately will have to keep firing on one cylinder until the transfer windows can allow us to get out of this mess...Next manager choice is a very big decision for Hibs

Hibs4185
05-11-2019, 11:19 AM
If I was LD, Hanlon and Stevenson would be my first port of call for an insight into what works for the players and what doesn’t. They must’ve seen it all over the years with different methods and practices.

They must have an idea of what hibs need as their next manager.

Onion
05-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Given the journey we've all been on over last 5 years, these two must have been just as affected as all of us by Heckingbottom's style of play, signings and management. Expect both of these guys (Heroes) to benefit hugely from a different manager / approach.

Aim Here
They're contracted until 2022 and 2021 respectively. They'll probably be on the books for whoever the manager is after this upcoming one has been dumped.

loanheadhibby
Will go do win as legends but everything that is wrong with the scouting systematic the club.

Why have we never sourced better players in the last 12 years? Is it because Hanlon/Stevenson are the best available or is it because they are Hibs supporters?

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2019, 11:24 AM
Both in average form but the class they have remains. Should be important players for a bit yet.

PeeJay
05-11-2019, 11:31 AM

Seriously? Think we should deal with greater and more pressing problems than these two - if only we had their levels of commitment and passion for the cause among many of the current squad ...

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Will go do win as legends but everything that is wrong with the scouting systematic the club.

Why have we never sourced better players in the last 12 years? Is it because Hanlon/Stevenson are the best available or is it because they are Hibs supporters?
Definitely times when Hanlon and Stevenson were the best options available, both been fantastic players. Lewis has won 2 major honours, he is the definition of good enough because he's achieved the peak Hibs result of the last 60 odd years.

The Leith Dutch
05-11-2019, 11:38 AM

I think PH set his team up wrong consistently which was a large part of the results we've been getting.
Doesn't mean players didn't make mistakes or his signings weren't sub standard.
It should mean that we see how the new guy gets them playing (long term servants of the club and new signings alike).

The new guy is going to have his work cut out for him getting a team out of what he's got until January and then trying
to add to it with whatever budget he has in the January window. I'd suspect that's not going to be much based on current
squad size, the rumours that PH's signings were pricy and the fact that the January window isn't the best for value.

lyonhibs
05-11-2019, 11:39 AM

Both clearly good enough. Should we automatically look to ditch players after some fixed length of time of service just "because" or to prove the efficacity of our scouting system? Stevenson is the only Hibs player EVER to win both cups ffs.

FYI neither are beyond reasoned and reasonable criticism, I've called both out for their ****ty performances when they occur.

cabbageandribs1875
05-11-2019, 12:00 PM
i think both players will witness at least another two managers at ER whilst still playing for us

neil7908
05-11-2019, 12:04 PM
I think Lewis could do with a bit of competition. He's still solid defensively but offers so little going forward.

Maybe that's OK and we shouldn't expect miracles from a fullback but often it feels like we struggle down the left when attacking.

Compare to the likes of Gray, or going further back Murphy and a young Whittaker, who are more modern fullbacks and I think Lewis is limited.

Smartie
05-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Both are very solid performers but neither have the start quality to carry teams.

If at any point we're lucky enough to find better than their solid, consistent 7 out of 10 most weeks then they'll be gone.

They've complemented good players in good teams in the past, when they've been joined by pish players we've had pish teams.

They should remain first picks, our problems remain elsewhere.

Our midfield is the root of all of our troubles. Get a bit of defensive cover in midfield and we'll start to see more from this pair again.

RossScott1991
05-11-2019, 12:39 PM
I actually think it’s more SDG and Mcgregor that are at the end of their time.
However Paul and Lewis need a kick and some healthy competition in there.

But all these guys are good to have at the club. I’d have no hope for us if they weren’t there and we were left with the dross from down south.

WhileTheChief..
05-11-2019, 12:54 PM
They'll be offered 4 year contracts similar to McGregor and Gray.

It's the nice thing to do for players nearing the end of their careers.

Barman Stanton
05-11-2019, 12:59 PM

I personally think its good to have the likes of McGregor and Gray at the club beyond their playing contracts. No one seemed to bother about it until the complete sh*tshow this season.

ancient hibee
05-11-2019, 04:18 PM
The main reasons for poor performers in the defence this season are playing twenty yards in front of it.

loanheadhibby
05-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Definitely times when Hanlon and Stevenson were the best options available, both been fantastic players. Lewis has won 2 major honours, he is the definition of good enough because he's achieved the peak Hibs result of the last 60 odd years.

Fairly Common knowledge that the previous manager wanted both replaced along with Gray and McGregor to take us to next level. I think I'd trust his views over posters on here.

loanheadhibby
05-11-2019, 09:00 PM

Most likely. Players who have played in relegation teams, championship teams and teams that won promotion and cups. My question is that if they are such great players, why is no one snapping them up? Maybe they are not as good as some would have you believe.

The 90+2
05-11-2019, 09:00 PM
Was listening to Kevin Kyle earlier saying he used to love playing against Hanlon as he’s weak. Stevenson has had a tremendous career and is still a mainstay if there’s an out ball to him, he’s a fine passer of the ball and finds himself in space and good positions defensively, right now he’s being hung out to dry with the midfield ****ting themselves and not having any cover at all from a defensive midfielder or anyone in left midfield that tracks back ever.

DetroitHibs
05-11-2019, 09:14 PM
If we want to be a consistent top four team, we need better. How many season have they played where we have finished in the top four?

bigwheel
05-11-2019, 09:21 PM
If we want to be a consistent top four team, we need better. How many season have they played where we have finished in the top four?

Honestly. I’d say we have about 6/7 positions to worry about before those two would be on the list ....

The 90+2
05-11-2019, 09:40 PM
Honestly. I’d say we have about 6/7 positions to worry about before those two would be on the list ....

Centre half is one of the most important areas of the team. We leek goals like fk.

DetroitHibs
05-11-2019, 09:44 PM

I don’t disagree with that. I don’t think they should be first out the door, but definitely need to upgrade eventually.

G B Young
05-11-2019, 09:56 PM

The fact Lewis has been a first pick for about half a dozen managers now stretching back over many years suggests to me he's the best available, underlined by the fact he holds Scottish Cup and League Cup winner's medals. Paul too has seen off a good few challengers to his position.

Neither would have lasted long if their only credentials for a first-team place were that they're Hibs fans (think Lewis was a Raith fan before he signed for us).

I don't think anyone would suggest either has ever looked capable of playing at a higher level but both are fine players on their day and especially so when part of a strong Hibs team.

kaimendhibs
05-11-2019, 09:59 PM
Lewis and Paul are the least of our worries

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

matty_f
05-11-2019, 11:32 PM
Was listening to Kevin Kyle earlier saying he used to love playing against Hanlon as he’s weak. Stevenson has had a tremendous career and is still a mainstay if there’s an out ball to him, he’s a fine passer of the ball and finds himself in space and good positions defensively, right now he’s being hung out to dry with the midfield ****ting themselves and not having any cover at all from a defensive midfielder or anyone in left midfield that tracks back ever.
How many goals did Kyle score against us?

Stantons Angel
06-11-2019, 12:27 AM
i dont know why we are even discussing these two players at all!

As has been said they have played under many managers who had them as first pick for their positions.

They have a good few years left in them yet and will always give 100% in every game they wear that jersey in.

Granted they cant play for ever and no one will know that more than them.

They may not be spectacular players but they are Hibs players and we need every player of their character just now.

there is a fight to be fought and they have the bottle for it, Maybe some of it will rub off on those around them and a wee bit more determination from the midfield would help their confidence too.

Hermit Crab
06-11-2019, 03:15 AM
How many goals did Kyle score against us?

At least one I can think off, last minute winner at Tynie, a header at the back post.

Brightside
06-11-2019, 05:51 AM
Mentioning Kevin Kyle in the same breath as Lewis and Paul is nonsense.

DetroitHibs
06-11-2019, 06:26 AM
Mentioning Kevin Kyle in the same breath as Lewis and Paul is nonsense.

Hate to say it, but he’s had a better career than both of them.

easty
06-11-2019, 06:39 AM

Has he aye? How’s that?

CapitalGreen
06-11-2019, 06:56 AM

You post some amount of ***** but you’ve outdone yourself here. Let’s take a look at his career.

- Bounced around 13 clubs averaging 24 appearances at each.
- Didn’t play a top flight match after the age of 29.
- Honours:
English Championship 04/05 - he made 6 appearances that season, none after August.
Scottish Third Division 12/13 with Rangers, his contract was ripped up before the end of the season in March 2013

Scouse Hibee
06-11-2019, 07:06 AM

On what basis, honours won, money earned, clubs played for? Interested to hear what he has done.

Since90+2
06-11-2019, 07:07 AM

Lewis isn't but unfortunately Hanlon is finished. He's been poor for about 18 months now and we need better urgently.

Onceinawhile
06-11-2019, 07:19 AM
On what basis, honours won, money earned, clubs played for? Interested to hear what he has done.

Perhaps on a most ferrys worked on basis?

BoomtownHibees
06-11-2019, 07:20 AM

That’s a beauty

Dashing Bob S
06-11-2019, 07:27 AM
Not going to go on about legendary status of that back four of Louie, Hanlon, Daz and SDG but they are aging and/or injury prone and will all need replacing soon. Add to that the trumpets signed by Heck and I don’t envy the new manager - that is one big rebuild.

NC1875
06-11-2019, 07:31 AM
Lewis and Paul were average players in a good Stubbs side but it worked because the rest of the team, especially the midfield were more than good.

Now they’re in a poor side and are being shown for what they are, average players.

Get good players around them again and a bit protection from midfield and they’ll probably play most weeks.

We’ll never have 11 good players but need a blend of good and average rather than poor and average.

I hope any new manager will be looking at better eventually for both positions though.

confused
06-11-2019, 07:32 AM

Yes I agree , we have now got the management team away ,! Hip hip hooray, now let’s start on the team ,

MWHIBBIES
06-11-2019, 07:43 AM
Lewis and Paul are immortal, Kyle is a fat ride. Not even close.

Greenworld
06-11-2019, 07:46 AM
Louis will be around a bit longer but Paul Hanlon I'm afraid is in an area that is weak .
Top priority is to strengthen through the middle of the team centre back ..
Centre midfield..center forward .

Three players albeit very good ones is what I would through whatever resources we have at .

There are loads of players good ones still not with clubs free agents ...

I think Effe for instance is not with anyone your not going to tell me he wouldn't make a difference

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Allant1981
06-11-2019, 07:54 AM

That's a bit of a statement to make!

DetroitHibs
06-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Kyle played at a higher level than both Paul and Lewis, also won more Scotland caps than the two combined. Probably earned more than the two combined too.

CRAZYHIBBY
06-11-2019, 12:07 PM
We have had several managers bring in competition for Stevenson yet nobody has managed to take his place....i think hes one of those players we will only realise how good he was when hes gone

MWHIBBIES
06-11-2019, 12:21 PM
Kyle played at a higher level than both Paul and Lewis, also won more Scotland caps than the two combined. Probably earned more than the two combined too.

So will he be remembered by any of the fans of those clubs in 50 years like Lewis and Paul? No.

Joe Newall played at a higher level than both. Has his career been better?

Scouse Hibee
06-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Is that it 😂

AgentDaleCooper
06-11-2019, 01:32 PM
they were both absolutely brilliant under lennon when we were flying, especially lewis.

heckingbottom and his crap signings and crap tactics have been the problem this season. There would be no harm in getting in a bit of competition, but it's by no means the priority IMO, especially lewis's position.

gillythehibby
06-11-2019, 01:40 PM

When we sign players better than them, then fine. In the meantime they're not really our biggest issue. Our last manager couldn't find better so lets see what happens with the new guy.

gillythehibby
06-11-2019, 01:46 PM

Kevin Kyle the footballing genius? That Kevin Kyle ? oh well then he must be right! Fk me. Kevin Kyle was a mediocre striker and a better donkey !

The 90+2
06-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Kevin Kyle the footballing genius? That Kevin Kyle ? oh well then he must be right! Fk me. Kevin Kyle was a mediocre striker and a better donkey !

Not really just a player who said he looked forward to playing against Hanlon, was sharing the opinion or a discussion forum sorry. I would also agree Hanlon was weak and got physically bullied at times and now he seems to have lost a yard or two when he doesn’t get bullied as often.

Steve88
06-11-2019, 02:26 PM

To pin point both these players given their performance over the years is unnecessary - every player is in this category at the moment given our league position

The last thing we should be looking to do is get rid of players who are Hibs through and through, especially given the summer ins and outs.

It's very subjective and impossible to quantify but having players at your club who support it, who get the club and are passionate about it... this is what can help build the bond with players, can motivate new players to "buy" into Hibs, providing they have the quality to do so....

Gloucester Hibs
06-11-2019, 02:28 PM
Think both have been on something of a downward trajectory since the 2017/18 season which was undoubtedly the best of their careers. Maybe it was the extra confidence gained from playing in a decent side? Stevenson actually even looked half-decent in an attacking sense. Be good if they could recapture that form.

The 90+2
06-11-2019, 02:31 PM
Think both have been on something of a downward trajectory since the 2017/18 season which was undoubtedly the best of their careers. Maybe it was the extra confidence gained from playing in a decent side? Stevenson actually even looked half-decent in an attacking sense. Be good if they could recapture that form.

Stevenson could with better players in front of him. Definitely.

Steve88
06-11-2019, 02:36 PM

LS in the that 3-5-2 formation was (for me) a very welcome success, and very very surprising..

The beuty of the 3-5-2 was we had the defensive set up with LS and DG at wing backs or could go to an attacking 3-5-2 with Boyle and barker at either side. Never quite worked towards the end of lennons spell due to the midfield having lost JM and DM

I

Stantons Angel
07-11-2019, 12:42 PM

These two guys have held that defence together throughout season after season plagued by injuries.

The support were raving about Paul getting us through in the cup game at Tyncastle.

Lewis has played under all of our recent merrygoround of managers and given us 110% all the time.

they like all of our players have their down times as well as their ups.

And when the team play as a team they excel. so dont forget this when looking at "a half decent player" attacking or defending.

Their form will hopefully return as the team hopefully progresses.

Hibeesmad
04-12-2019, 09:22 PM
A month in and it’s still looking grim.

Lex7zero
04-12-2019, 11:39 PM
To anyone that knows anything about football Hanlon has been the weakest link in that defence for a number of years. Lewis has also been part of our soft bottling side for too long. Both are nice guys but well past time for both to go.

Weegreenman
05-12-2019, 05:21 AM
These two guys have held that defence together throughout season after season plagued by injuries.

The support were raving about Paul getting us through in the cup game at Tyncastle.

Lewis has played under all of our recent merrygoround of managers and given us 110% all the time.

they like all of our players have their down times as well as their ups.

And when the team play as a team they excel. so dont forget this when looking at "a half decent player" attacking or defending.

Their form will hopefully return as the team hopefully progresses.

A soft touch. It’s beyond embarrassing now, everyone can see it. Hoping their form will return through a sense of loyalty is relegation talk.

Heisenberg
05-12-2019, 05:36 AM
Just saw both goals again. Stevenson lets the boy lump it into the box for the equaliser unchallenged then Maxwell ****s it up. Hanlon then decides to inexplicably flick the ball into the box for their second. Two awful goals to concede.

LancsHibs
05-12-2019, 05:40 AM
Im afraid to say Paul Hanlon is no longer anywhere near good enough anymore (along with big Daz), it was another huge mistake by Heckingbottom not to have replaced in the summer, Jackson is obviously not the quality we need. Thank god Porteous is back otherwise we would be in a right mess! Centre half position needs addressing pronto!

MWHIBBIES
05-12-2019, 06:04 AM
To anyone that knows anything about football Hanlon has been the weakest link in that defence for a number of years. Lewis has also been part of our soft bottling side for too long. Both are nice guys but well past time for both to go.

He hasn't been the weakest link for a number of years, that is just a lie. One of the strongest links during the 17/18 season.

Lewis has been a part of our greatest successes. More major honors for Hibs than anyone in 60 years but he is a bottler? GTF

MWHIBBIES
05-12-2019, 06:06 AM
Im afraid to say Paul Hanlon is no longer anywhere near good enough anymore (along with big Daz), it was another huge mistake by Heckingbottom not to have replaced in the summer, Jackson is obviously not the quality we need. Thank god Porteous is back otherwise we would be in a right mess! Centre half position needs addressing pronto!

Porteous isn't flawless either, ridiculous to pretend Hanlon isn't anywhere near good enough but Ryan is some saviour. He still has plenty to learn.

JimBHibees
05-12-2019, 06:29 AM
Why do they have to be linked together they are totally different players. Personally think Lewis more than good enough to stay in the team but needs real competition. Paul imo needs rested at present as seems short physically assume some injury he is carrying however do we have sufficient quality to take over. He isn't the most physical or commanding but is much better on the ball than the replacements. Personally would bring big Daz in on Saturday and/or go three at back. Ryan not at his best either. The goals we are losing are killing us at present.

Gloucester Hibs
05-12-2019, 06:58 AM
Why do they have to be linked together they are totally different players. Personally think Lewis more than good enough to stay in the team but needs real competition. Paul imo needs rested at present as seems short physically assume some injury he is carrying however do we have sufficient quality to take over. He isn't the most physical or commanding but is much better on the ball than the replacements. Personally would bring big Daz in on Saturday and/or go three at back. Ryan not at his best either. The goals we are losing are killing us at present.

Also there is no replacement for LS in the current squad at present, so he gets to stay in the team by default. Agree Porteous shouldn't be immune from criticism either.

superfurryhibby
05-12-2019, 07:10 AM
He hasn't been the weakest link for a number of years, that is just a lie. One of the strongest links during the 17/18 season.

Lewis has been a part of our greatest successes. More major honors for Hibs than anyone in 60 years but he is a bottler? GTF

Agreed. I suggest anyone describing Lewis as lacking bottle isn’t a fan of Hibs. It’s plain nonsense. However, Hanlon has been been pretty poor since returning from injury ( early 2019.) and that has carried over into this season too.

Porteous isn't flawless either, ridiculous to pretend Hanlon isn't anywhere near good enough but Ryan is some saviour. He still has plenty to learn.

Porteous is raw and has a long way to go. As you say, plenty to learn. The pairing of him and Hanlon in the centre must have opposition strikers feeling confident they’ll get a goal.

LancsHibs
05-12-2019, 07:32 AM

Yes Porteous is far from flawless but a better option than PH, don’t think many would argue with that. Porteous is at the start of his career, Hanlon is at the end of his, Hibs will be expecting to develop RP and sell for a big fee, PH isn’t with anything in the market. As stated the situation at the back needs addressing pronto. It was a massive failing over the summer, we were left with an ageing creaking defence, had to go and get an emergency right back. Ross has work to do

we are hibs
05-12-2019, 07:41 AM
Find it embarrassing how every week people try to lambast porteous when defending Hanlon. You can defend him without doing that. Hes clearly our best defender by a distance and a young laddie whos played 1 full season in probably the hardest position for a young player to break into due to the fact any slight error or mistake that he makes is more likely to lead to a goal than if he was a midfielder/forward who has the defence covering him. You can say hes had a poor game if hes had a poor game or hes made a mistake but do it on its own rather than doing it to defend another player because that reeks and its something that seems to be creeping into the forum every week now.

Brooster
05-12-2019, 07:46 AM
Completely agree. Hanlon and Stevenson are probably the main reasons why we lose so many ordinary goals. Great servants but time for them to be replaced.

Brightside
05-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Find it embarrassing how every week people try to lambast porteous when defending Hanlon. You can defend him without doing that. Hes clearly our best defender by a distance and a young laddie whos played 1 full season in probably the hardest position for a young player to break into due to the fact any slight error or mistake that he makes is more likely to lead to a goal than if he was a midfielder/forward who has the defence covering him. You can say hes had a poor game if hes had a poor game or hes made a mistake but do it on its own rather than doing it to defend another player because that reeks and its something that seems to be creeping into the forum every week now.

Porto clearly isn’t our best defender tho. Great player for us in time. But his mistakes are ignored. No one on here is having a go at him. No is calling him ****. Slow. Pulling a trailer. But that’s the standard for Hanlon? It’s bull.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2019, 08:00 AM
I find myself a bit uncomfortable with the tone of some of the posts, and comments at games, being aimed at Hanlon and Stevenson. Whatever their current form both deserve a bit more respect than they are currently getting when you consider what they have achieved at Hibs.

That's not to say I don't think some of the criticism is merited and there are certainly tough decisions to be made. I said last night Jack Ross is going to have to be hard nosed and push sentiment to one side, he's a professional so I'm sure he will. Paul Hanlon has had a career that has been interrupted by injuries, maybe as he approaches 30 they have just caught up with him and he's lost a yard of pace and his movement isn't what it was. He certainly isn't performing consistently to the standards we know he has been capable off. Lewis Stevenson has been a stalwart under countless managers and every player we have brought in to cover that position hasn't really had a sniff. However he has just had the first relatively lengthy lay off of his career and is approaching 32 year old. It's not a stretch to say he has far more years behind him than ahead of him at Hibs. I believe Ross likes his full backs to push up and provide an attacking threat, does LS have that in him medium to long term?

Leaking late and soft goals has been a feature of our season. I've seen the diamond in midfield being blamed but it was an issue long before we changed to that shape. The issues go deeper than the defence of course but time waits for nobody and it's increasingly obvious we need to start planning for life after Gray, Mcgregor, Hanlon and Stevenson. I'll say again though that no one should underestimate what they have done for Hibs and that should be kept in mind when criticising any of them.

we are hibs
05-12-2019, 08:09 AM
Porto clearly isn’t our best defender tho. Great player for us in time. But his mistakes are ignored. No one on here is having a go at him. No is calling him ****. Slow. Pulling a trailer. But that’s the standard for Hanlon? It’s bull.

Whos our best defender then?

J-C
05-12-2019, 08:09 AM
Naismith take away his goal on Saturday is a big standard average RB, Porteous is raw and culpable of a few rookie mistakes, Hanlon I feel although a great servant, isn't a great leader on the pitch and I think he takes a lot of negativity to heart and Lewis is a cracking LB who has been constantly exposed due to a weak left sided midfield

Brightside
05-12-2019, 08:15 AM
Naismith take away his goal on Saturday is a big standard average RB, Porteous is raw and culpable of a few rookie mistakes, Hanlon I feel although a great servant, isn't a great leader on the pitch and I think he takes a lot of negativity to heart and Lewis is a cracking LB who has been constantly exposed due to a weak left sided midfield
Hanlon doesn’t take it to heart. Don’t worry about him.

Brightside
05-12-2019, 08:16 AM
Whos our best defender then?

Hanlon remains our best defender.

easty
05-12-2019, 08:16 AM

Agree with all of that.

Stuart93
05-12-2019, 08:17 AM

We get it, you like Hanlon and won’t have a bad word said about him.

Very tiresome

Brightside
05-12-2019, 08:20 AM
We get it, you like Hanlon and won’t have a bad word said about him.

Very tiresome

He should have done better with his defensive header last night. It’s called a measured opinion. Same I have about all the players when they make a mistake. I don’t start a thread saying Get him out, he’s the reason we’ve lost so many games, they are the reason we went down a league, he’s soft. Have a bit of respect in your criticism. Half the people slagging them off don’t even go to games. (Thankfully)

Gypsy King
05-12-2019, 08:24 AM
Hanlon for me is just too soft and his technical ability isn't good enough to make up for the lack of physicality. A new centre half is a must. I hate to say it, but I hope Pauls time is over.

Lewis gives you a 6 most weeks and wears his hart on his sleeve. But again his time is over.

I think Ross will identify this and seek replacements in January.

Efe and Mulumbu on 6 month contracts with a new LB loaned from a prem club would be Ideal.

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2019, 08:26 AM

:agree: :top marks

Sticking up a little for Lewis, like you say he's a cracking full back, but he's now again being asked to work the lines as a wing back, he's just not very good at going past anyone or delivering crosses.

J-C
05-12-2019, 08:30 AM
Hanlon doesn’t take it to heart. Don’t worry about him.

I always feel he plays better with Daz and Gray in the team, added strength and leadership.

easty
05-12-2019, 08:50 AM

:agree:

Porteous could be better in time, but he isn't at the moment

J-C
05-12-2019, 09:12 AM
:agree: :top marks

Sticking up a little for Lewis, like you say he's a cracking full back, but he's now again being asked to work the lines as a wing back, he's just not very good at going past anyone or delivering crosses.

The diamond hangs us out to dry and leaves the full backs exposed, both Horgan and Newell are not good enough defensively, so for me a propr DM would sort that or even a left sided box2box in the McGinn role. Boyle needs to play as a winger and not an auxiliary striker, he scored plenty as a winger and his energy to track back is essential for the RB.
The 3-5-2 when we went on that great run 2 years ago is about as balanced a team as you'll see, I'd be tempted to go for that again.

Anthony Soprano
05-12-2019, 09:17 AM
they were both absolutely brilliant under lennon when we were flying, especially lewis.

heckingbottom and his crap signings and crap tactics have been the problem this season. There would be no harm in getting in a bit of competition, but it's by no means the priority IMO, especially lewis's position.

Disagree, strengthening the centre back position is absolutely a priority, Hanlon looks well beyond his years in terms of sharpness and has always been too soft for my liking, gets bullied too often by strikers, happened again last night

Also cover for left back is something we should be looking at as Lewis is the only natural left back in the team.

B.H.F.C
05-12-2019, 09:21 AM
The diamond hangs us out to dry and leaves the full backs exposed, both Horgan and Newell are not good enough defensively, so for me a propr DM would sort that or even a left sided box2box in the McGinn role. Boyle needs to play as a winger and not an auxiliary striker, he scored plenty as a winger and his energy to track back is essential for the RB.
The 3-5-2 when we went on that great run 2 years ago is about as balanced a team as you'll see, I'd be tempted to go for that again.

The diamond hanging us out to dry could become a bit of a myth IMO.

The diamond, whilst I don’t think it is a long term solution, has allowed us to be more successful than in the reverse fixtures earlier in the season, losing less goals.

Formations are overrated. Players need to do their individual jobs nobody in our team is doing their job defensively. The goalie doing a superman impression and our centre half heading the ball in to the middle of the box were nothing to do with formation. The fact we left two Kilmarnock centre halves standing on their own in the middle of our box on Saturday was nothing to do with formation either.

essexhibee
05-12-2019, 09:26 AM
Ive only seen a few games this season but defo dont think Naismith is the answer at right back.

J-C
05-12-2019, 09:35 AM
The diamond hanging us out to dry could become a bit of a myth IMO.

The diamond, whilst I don’t think it is a long term solution, has allowed us to be more successful than in the reverse fixtures earlier in the season, losing less goals.

Formations are overrated. Players need to do their individual jobs nobody in our team is doing their job defensively. The goalie doing a superman impression and our centre half heading the ball in to the middle of the box were nothing to do with formation. The fact we left two Kilmarnock centre halves standing on their own in the middle of our box on Saturday was nothing to do with formation either.

Formations and players performances go hand in hand, we've been exposed down the flanks regularly in the last few games and have had to deal with multiple crosses into the box. The CH's are getting dragged out of shape covering the fullbacks who are 2v1 against them due to the midfield not dropping back to help out. There's a reason not many teams play a diamond.

happiehibbie
05-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Formations don't win games. Players win games

J-C
05-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Formations don't win games. Players win games

True S, but you need the players to play in these formations and at the moment they're not good enough in general.

B.H.F.C
05-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Formations and players performances go hand in hand, we've been exposed down the flanks regularly in the last few games and have had to deal with multiple crosses into the box. The CH's are getting dragged out of shape covering the fullbacks who are 2v1 against them due to the midfield not dropping back to help out. There's a reason not many teams play a diamond.

Yet playing any other formation pretty much resulted in the same issues.

The players are a far bigger problem than the formation.

JDHibs
05-12-2019, 12:20 PM

90% of teams play 4231/433 nowadays, yet we played it under Heck & it heralded a fabulous 1 win this season. Play a formation that suits the players you have at your disposal. Diamond is that formation at present hence the upturn in results we've had since May took charge.

Midfield need to do more i agree, however, we our CHs just arent defending well at present. Along with the full backs not stopping crosses. Neither full back got close to the player who crossed the ball last night.

familyman
05-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Well if he did not study form pre appointment he now knows what the issues are.
I had indicated last season when some of our back four toiled against a much faster Celtic team ,it was clear as you get older you slow down.
Better to release players in that stage while they still command respect. and rightly so....nothing worse than seeing players deteriorate and leave them open to criticism
Time for change Mr Ross.
Remember a manager lost his job because of so many draws and now not even a point..
Certain players can still command a first team position n lower leagues no problem there.
Management is partly about making such difficult choices...
We will turn the corner with this new broom and January is coming up fast.

J-C
05-12-2019, 01:06 PM
90% of teams play 4231/433 nowadays, yet we played it under Heck & it heralded a fabulous 1 win this season. Play a formation that suits the players you have at your disposal. Diamond is that formation at present hence the upturn in results we've had since May took charge.

Midfield need to do more i agree, however, we our CHs just arent defending well at present. Along with the full backs not stopping crosses. Neither full back got close to the player who crossed the ball last night.

Heckingbottom was more a 4-5-1 Mallan an Vela holding, Horgan right, Middleton/Newell left, Allan as AM and either Flo or Doidge up top.

The midfield had no legs or pace, Horgan, Newell and Middleton don't defend and we got overran most games.

Sioux
05-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Heckingbottom was more a 4-5-1 Mallan an Vela holding, Horgan right, Middleton/Newell left, Allan as AM and either Flo or Doidge up top.

The midfield had no legs or pace, Horgan, Newell and Middleton don't defend and we got overran most games.

It doesn’t matter what the basic set up is. We’ve lost far too many goals when the ball goes into the box around the six yard area. Your tactical ‘expertise’ is irrelevant. It’s quite simply bad defending.

Ozyhibby
05-12-2019, 01:39 PM
I find myself a bit uncomfortable with the tone of some of the posts, and comments at games, being aimed at Hanlon and Stevenson. Whatever their current form both deserve a bit more respect than they are currently getting when you consider what they have achieved at Hibs.

That's not to say I don't think some of the criticism is merited and there are certainly tough decisions to be made. I said last night Jack Ross is going to have to be hard nosed and push sentiment to one side, he's a professional so I'm sure he will. Paul Hanlon has had a career that has been interrupted by injuries, maybe as he approaches 30 they have just caught up with him and he's lost a yard of pace and his movement isn't what it was. He certainly isn't performing consistently to the standards we know he has been capable off. Lewis Stevenson has been a stalwart under countless managers and every player we have brought in to cover that position hasn't really had a sniff. However he has just had the first relatively lengthy lay off of his career and is approaching 32 year old. It's not a stretch to say he has far more years behind him than ahead of him at Hibs. I believe Ross likes his full backs to push up and provide an attacking threat, does LS have that in him medium to long term?

Leaking late and soft goals has been a feature of our season. I've seen the diamond in midfield being blamed but it was an issue long before we changed to that shape. The issues go deeper than the defence of course but time waits for nobody and it's increasingly obvious we need to start planning for life after Gray, Mcgregor, Hanlon and Stevenson. I'll say again though that no one should underestimate what they have done for Hibs and that should be kept in mind when criticising any of them.

The best way for respect to be maintained, and it very much deserves to be maintained, is for the club to move quickly to bring in replacements. It’s clear they are both struggling now, it happens to every player eventually, and we need better options there.
An even bigger failure is Jackson. He needs moved on so that a quality left sided centre half can be brought in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fulshie
05-12-2019, 02:10 PM
The problem we have is the midfield. It's collapsing after 1hr of every game and this leaves the defence exposed. We need a strong defensive midfielder like Bartley or Milligan who Heckingbottom let go and didn't replace. I hope this is JR's first aim for a signing.

J-C
05-12-2019, 03:21 PM
It doesn’t matter what the basic set up is. We’ve lost far too many goals when the ball goes into the box around the six yard area. Your tactical ‘expertise’ is irrelevant. It’s quite simply bad defending.

No expertise here, just basic observations, we've struggled ever since we lost McGinn and McGeouch and they've never been replaced properly. The midfield has been chopping and changing on a regular basis whilst Lennon and Hecky tried to find that balance and both failed. The defence can't be ignored and has to take a portion of the blame but when the midfield has been so poor this season, the defence has been exposed as being average, Lewis needs competition, we need better backup for Gray and another younger CH who's a lefty to put pressure on Hanlon.

Brooster
05-12-2019, 03:36 PM

You cant be serious. Softest CH in the league.

Brightside
05-12-2019, 03:44 PM
You cant be serious. Softest CH in the league.

Your opinion is very clear.
He remains our best defender. He is still better than the young but improving Porto, he is better than Daz who is at the end of his career and injured a lot now, and no one appears to want Jackson. So im not sure who you think is better right now? Outside of Celtic there are no CHs that would make a huge improvement to our Centre of defence. All of them make multiple mistakes, and have similar threads on their fan forums slating them.

Can we get better? Yes of course we can. But we are limited by budget and manager after manager hasnt replaced him.

Brooster
05-12-2019, 09:39 PM
He remains our best defender. He is still better than the young but improving Porto, he is better than Daz who is at the end of his career and injured a lot now, and no one appears to want Jackson. So im not sure who you think is better right now? Outside of Celtic there are no CHs that would make a huge improvement to our Centre of defence. All of them make multiple mistakes, and have similar threads on their fan forums slating them.

Can we get better? Yes of course we can. But we are limited by budget and manager after manager hasnt replaced him.

You are entitled to your opinion of course but you seem to be in the minority. In fact I dont know any Hibs fans who think Hanlon is better than Porteous. Can't really get my head round it tbh.

Forza Fred
05-12-2019, 09:43 PM
ALL players move on at some point.

Every player is only there until a better one emerges.

Brightside
06-12-2019, 08:11 AM
You are entitled to your opinion of course but you seem to be in the minority. In fact I dont know any Hibs fans who think Hanlon is better than Porteous. Can't really get my head round it tbh.

Hanlon is the only footballing defender we have. If we want to go back to the days of just having Row Z defending then the majority are correct. You need a mix of types the get the best out of a team. Some people dont agree with that and think CHs should just clear the ball and hammer players into the advertising boards. If Paulo Maldini ever got booked he saw it as a failure as he hadnt defended properly (not a single Red card in his pro career) Lets strive for a bit of both in our defense. :aok:

Since452
06-12-2019, 08:12 AM
No room for sentiment in football. We live in the present and at present both are not good enough

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2019, 08:16 AM
Hanlon is the only footballing defender we have. If we want to go back to the days of just having Row Z defending then the majority are correct. You need a mix of types the get the best out of a team. Some people dont agree with that and think CHs should just clear the ball and hammer players into the advertising boards. If Paulo Maldini ever got booked he saw it as a failure as he hadnt defended properly (not a single Red card in his pro career) Lets strive for a bit of both in our defense. :aok:

I'd like our defenders to be able to defend first, before they try out their Maldini skills, no point being ragdolled by a centre forward and losing goals hand over fist, but being able to ping a 40 yard cross ball to the other side of the park on a sixpence.

B.H.F.C
06-12-2019, 08:30 AM
I'd like our defenders to be able to defend first, before they try out their Maldini skills, no point being ragdolled by a centre forward and losing goals hand over fist, but being able to ping a 40 yard cross ball to the other side of the park on a sixpence.

In this particular case it’s, more often, ping a 40 yard cross ball out for a throw in on the other side of the park.

The Modfather
06-12-2019, 08:40 AM

There’s only two teams in the league that have conceded more goals than us. I have a certain amount of sympathy for the defence given the lack of protection they get. However statements like that are as imbalanced as the folk at the other end of the extreme who talk about Hanlon being a championship player etc.

Brightside
06-12-2019, 08:59 AM
In this particular case it’s, more often, ping a 40 yard cross ball out for a throw in on the other side of the park.

Well its not. Thats clearly nonsense to anyone who has watched us the past few years. Actually Hanlons pass completion rate is higher than the majority of the league!! Its yet another reason that managers keep picking him.

We will see if Jack Ross would rather go with the majority of the .net forum, and replace Paul and Lewis in due course. :aok:

Just to add Hanlon completion rate was just under 80% last season.

Smartie
06-12-2019, 09:10 AM
I still like and rate all of our CH's, including Jackson, and would like to see how they get on with a decent midfield in front of them before deciding to punt anyone.

Yes, they've all made mistakes at times this season and some of them costly, but I don't recall a Hibs defence that has ever come under as much pressure as this one due to lack of protection and the midfield struggling to control possession better when we're in front late in games.

B.H.F.C
06-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Well its not. Thats clearly nonsense to anyone who has watched us the past few years. Actually Hanlons pass completion rate is higher than the majority of the league!! Its yet another reason that managers keep picking him.

We will see if Jack Ross would rather go with the majority of the .net forum, and replace Paul and Lewis in due course. :aok:

I wasn’t being deadly serious, although it does happen with relative regularity.

You clearly can’t accept his failings or limitations, that’s up to you. He’s been the constant in a defence of a side that have only managed to finish in the top six of Scottish football a couple of times over that period.

I want a defender that helps our goals against column first and foremost. The pass completion rate isn’t particularly hard to boost. Hanlon to Stevenson to Hanlon to Porteous. Back to Hanlon, back to Stevenson. Theres 40 passes a game right away.

He clearly did well under Lennon when we came back up. He has been poor for a year now though.

JimBHibees
06-12-2019, 09:36 AM

Please tell me you are not comparing Paul Hanlon and Paulo Maldini. :greengrin

I know their first names are similar but surely it ends there.

Brightside
06-12-2019, 09:36 AM
I wasn’t being deadly serious, although it does happen with relative regularity.

You clearly can’t accept his failings or limitations, that’s up to you. He’s been the constant in a defence of a side that have only managed to finish in the top six of Scottish football a couple of times over that period.

I want a defender that helps our goals against column first and foremost. The pass completion rate isn’t particularly hard to boost. Hanlon to Stevenson to Hanlon to Porteous. Back to Hanlon, back to Stevenson. Theres 40 passes a game right away.

He clearly did well under Lennon when we came back up. He has been poor for a year now though.

That’s the thing. I do accept his failings. I accept all the players failings. He’s had plenty bad games but nowhere near the the level that many on th forum think. I’ll say again there are not a lot of other CHs in the league that we would take and they’d improve that position. People on here were raving about Halkett. There are threads in kickback wanting him sold?! Hanlon is just nowhere near as bad as some on here think. But if we can’ buy in better then we should.

JimBHibees
06-12-2019, 09:37 AM

Is 80% that good given loads will be under no pressure and rolling it to goalie or other defenders.

Brightside
06-12-2019, 09:38 AM
Please tell me you are not comparing Paul Hanlon and Paulo Maldini. :greengrin

I know their first names are similar but surely it ends there.

Of course not. Hanlon is better. 😂😂

Brightside
06-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Is 80% that good given loads will be under no pressure and rolling it to goalie or other defenders.

It’s better than the majority of defenders in the league. His positive passing is also higher than every CB outside of Celtic. A positive pass being once that creates a chance for a shot.

hughio
06-12-2019, 09:41 AM
Ive only seen a few games this season but defo dont think Naismith is the answer at right back.

Im surprised someone has written that.

I have been particularly impressd with him this season.
Tigerish against St Johnstione and a great goal last week.

Opinions eh?

we are hibs
06-12-2019, 10:57 AM

Do you have the rest of the leagues stats or know where to find them?