PDA

View Full Version : John Collins

DetroitHibs
05-11-2019, 04:56 AM
Nope not suggesting he should be manager, but would love to see him fully in charge of the young lads. I think the level of success from our academy has been woeful and JC could turn that around. His training methods were his downfall. Lazy players didn’t buy in to it and some of the egos wouldn’t adhere. I think Collins could really mould these young players in to successful strong athletes. Double training sessions, building there bodies and strength and doing it properly.

How many of our youngsters break thru, but are far too lightweight and can’t handle the game, quite a few. Winning development games means hee haw, it doesn’t materialize in the top flight. Oli Shaw scored a barrel load in that league, yet has struggled and too lightweight. I think JC could really turn that around.

Peevemor
05-11-2019, 05:32 AM
Nope not suggesting he should be manager, but would love to see him fully in charge of the young lads. I think the level of success from our academy has been woeful and JC could turn that around. His training methods were his downfall. Lazy players didn’t buy in to it and some of the egos wouldn’t adhere. I think Collins could really mould these young players in to successful strong athletes. Double training sessions, building there bodies and strength and doing it properly.

How many of our youngsters break thru, but are far too lightweight and can’t handle the game, quite a few. Winning development games means hee haw, it doesn’t materialize in the top flight. Oli Shaw scored a barrel load in that league, yet has struggled and too lightweight. I think JC could really turn that around.

How many different managers, coaches, dieticians, sports scientists, etc. do you think that Oli Shaw has worked with? Why would Collins succeed where others haven't?

DetroitHibs
05-11-2019, 05:49 AM
How many different managers, coaches, dieticians, sports scientists, etc. do you think that Oli Shaw has worked with? Why would Collins succeed where others haven't?

Oli was just an example. Players like Harris and Stanton in the past were lightweight too. Fraser Murray is another example. I think Collins would succeed with the training sessions. Changing the whole culture and not getting any push back. Have them in, in the morning, then afternoon. Have the meals all preperaed, hitting the gym. Have these young lads in for eight hours every day. I also think Collins would succeed where others haven’t would be the way he looked after himself. He knows what it takes.

marinello59
05-11-2019, 06:19 AM
Oli was just an example. Players like Harris and Stanton in the past were lightweight too. Fraser Murray is another example. I think Collins would succeed with the training sessions. Changing the whole culture and not getting any push back. Have them in, in the morning, then afternoon. Have the meals all preperaed, hitting the gym. Have these young lads in for eight hours every day. I also think Collins would succeed where others haven’t would be the way he looked after himself. He knows what it takes.

You are describing a personal trainer, not a football coach. Young players should be taking responsibility for their own fitness and physical development. Those who have the discipline and desire will move forward. Those who don’t will fall by the wayside.

Hibby Kay-Yay
05-11-2019, 06:39 AM

Having them in for eight hours every day doing what you suggest is not the way to develop the young ones...or anyone. Would do more harm than good.

Unseen work
05-11-2019, 07:08 AM
The way to physically develop young players is to get them playing games. They then become used to what is needed and how to compete, not all players are suited to trying to be physical.

Dont get my wrong you need to be in really good shape but that doesn’t mean you need be in the gym doing weights for hours every day.

Having or not having muscles doesn’t mean that all of a sudden you can compete with seasoned pros and play well.

Scott Allan done an interview recently saying McGinn was the weakest player in the gym but the strongest one on it.

Horgan is another who is described as one of the best in the gym and is stocky but he can hardly last an hour.

green with envy
05-11-2019, 07:13 AM

We could also employ Jamie Oliver to sort out the young players diets. Sorry but the idea above just seems daft to me.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-11-2019, 11:02 AM
What I would say tho is watch out for the next generation Porto and Murray are decent examples of what we’re striving for.
At EM the coach there talked about build and physique out academy recruits are getting bigger stronger faster he asked if anyone Has been at latest dev team derby said that not only do we have players who can play football but hopes of the hearts player’s through strength and do what they wanted with the Ball. Time will tell. And as for diets although we didn’t cover that you could see that the posters are up reminding of food groups and recommendations for l recovery and build king energy for games.

MrSmith
05-11-2019, 11:16 AM
This is worth a watch:

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81157840

Personal choice for folks but athletes should be considering plant based diets first and foremost.

04Sauzee
05-11-2019, 11:21 AM
This is worth a watch:

Personal choice for folks but athletes should be considering plant based diets first and foremost.

Was watching this last night and it does make you wonder why more clubs aren't adopting this for prematch and for breakfast/dinner rounf the training centers

MrSmith
05-11-2019, 11:24 AM
I'm vegan so, bit of an agenda there but when you put the facts together i.e recovery form injury, continued age of competitors (Cyclist) and general fitness, its gotta be considered at least. The most interesting part for me was the artery diagram in relation to blood cells reaction when eating meat and the comparison when eating plant.

pollution
05-11-2019, 11:39 AM
The manner in which he dumped Hibs means he will never work for us again.

easty
05-11-2019, 11:51 AM
This is worth a watch:

Was watching this last night and it does make you wonder why more clubs aren't adopting this for prematch and for breakfast/dinner rounf the training centers

I'd expect athletes, and clubs, to do a bit more research than just following the advice of a Netflix show.

The evidence is one sided, and maybe not all it's cracked up to be. Plenty places online you can see it reviewed, here's one -

https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a29067926/the-game-changers-movie-fact-check/

MrSmith
05-11-2019, 12:12 PM
I'd expect athletes, and clubs, to do a bit more research than just following the advice of a Netflix show.

The evidence is one sided, and maybe not all it's cracked up to be. Plenty places online you can see it reviewed, here's one -

https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a29067926/the-game-changers-movie-fact-check/

Thanks for the comparative view point.

I'm completely wary of all studies re meat and dairy product due to the fact that guess who pays for the information to be produced? you got it, the Dairy and Farming industry. It is clear though that a meat based diet certainly piles on the muscle for me, it is the journey through the bodies intricate sets of arteries that give the clear indication of how healthy it is.

Smartie
05-11-2019, 12:39 PM

I'm completely wary of all studies re meat and dairy product due to the fact that guess who pays for the information to be produced? you got it, the Dairy and Farming industry. It is clear though that a meat based diet certainly piles on the muscle for me, it is the journey through the bodies intricate sets of arteries that give the clear indication of how healthy it is.

Are there not people who stand to make money out of vegetarian and vegan diet who could do the opposite?

MrSmith
05-11-2019, 12:59 PM
Are there not people who stand to make money out of vegetarian and vegan diet who could do the opposite?

They certainly could and probably are but and unfortunately, there are still many, many more meat & dairy eaters than veggies/vegan so not so much a lucrative market place. I guess biology and physiology play the factual points.

jacomo
05-11-2019, 01:45 PM

Because he’d be better? He got Benji playing like a superstar, and was great for Fletcher too.

If - and I accept it’s a big if - you get on board with his methods then Collins seems like a brilliant coach.

DetroitHibs
05-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Because he’d be better? He got Benji playing like a superstar, and was great for Fletcher too.

If - and I accept it’s a big if - you get on board with his methods then Collins seems like a brilliant coach.

Thats my thinking. Giving him a blank canvas if youngsters to work with. There’s no egos and attitudes and he has all there best interests at heart. I think he could make a massive difference.

Brooster
05-11-2019, 05:18 PM
I'm happy he is scouting for other teams given his eye for a player.

05-11-2019, 06:50 PM
I'm happy he is scouting for other teams given his eye for a player.

:agree:

ScottB
05-11-2019, 08:42 PM

Big business is just as involved on the other side too, especially as it becomes more popular.

MrSmith
05-11-2019, 08:44 PM
Big business is just as involved on the other side too, especially as it becomes more popular.

Thats for sure and it is growing year on year.

BILLYHIBS
07-11-2019, 06:44 AM
Interesting that John Collins and Ian Murray attended yesterday’s 1-0 win by the Development Team over Celtic

Might be nothing in it ?

Percy Vere
07-11-2019, 08:36 AM
Interesting that John Collins and Ian Murray attended yesterday’s 1-0 win by the Development Team over Celtic

Might be nothing in it ?

Jeez
I hope there’s nothing in it

Mac_17
07-11-2019, 08:55 AM
I wouldn't mind Collins being part of the new managers backroom staff, I think he would bring positives but as a manager I would rather have someone else.

Billy Whizz
07-11-2019, 08:56 AM

Might be nothing in it ?

Collins was at the game to run the rule over a few Celtic youngsters

Scottie
07-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Collins was at the game to run the rule over a few Celtic youngsters
Who for Billy ? Us or them ?

Allant1981
07-11-2019, 09:07 AM
The club putting his photo up on twitter from the game, thats how to get folk talking!!

Vault Boy
07-11-2019, 09:07 AM
I think the fact that Hibs have highlighted Collins' attendance with a picture on Twitter is actually a pretty strong indicator that he's not in the running for the job, rather than the opposite.

IMO of course.

Barman Stanton
07-11-2019, 09:14 AM
He was a fantastic player and one of only 6 Cup winning managers for us. Collins really should get a bit more respect from Hibs fans than he does.

He had us playing some great football before the players turned on him. I think he was ahead of his time really.

ozhibs
07-11-2019, 09:19 AM
He was a fantastic player and one of only 6 Cup winning managers for us. Collins really should get a bit more respect from Hibs fans than he does.

He had us playing some great football before the players turned on him. I think he was ahead of his time really.

I agree and am firmly in the camp of the players turned against him

TheReg!
07-11-2019, 09:22 AM
FWIW I would welcome back JC as manager. I would be against Murray as his assistant though, perhaps Whittaker, Darren Fletcher, Boozy even

Joe6-2
07-11-2019, 09:23 AM

Definitely, and I think Petrie should have stood up to them, were the wee souls asked to work to hard!!

Since452
07-11-2019, 09:24 AM
I remember him inheriting an inconsistent but brilliant Hibs team and initially doing well with them until we went on a long winless run. Not beating Dunfermline over 180 minutes in the SC semi still infuriates me. Soon as he started signing his own players he was massively found out. Signed utter dross that our next manager had to try and sort out. Sounds quite familiar.

Greenworld
07-11-2019, 09:25 AM

Might be nothing in it ?Murray is doing a great job at Airdrie and has done well elsewhere in these leagues. John Collins was way ahead of his time trying to implement the mentality that is now accepted as the norm by players.
Will either be considered by Hibs , if indeed either of them put forward there interest I doubt it .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Barman Stanton
07-11-2019, 09:27 AM

I think it was wrong time and place for Collins really. The training camp before the final especially, was basically a copy of the ones he experienced at Monaco. Senior players expected a jolly, the Scottish way.

Not that he isn't arrogant. But that's never stopped loads of top managers in the past.

Billy Whizz
07-11-2019, 09:27 AM
Who for Billy ? Us or them ?

I think them, as he haunt around the Celtic dug out
Think they had a trialist playing

Billy Whizz
07-11-2019, 09:29 AM
FWIW I would welcome back JC as manager. I would be against Murray as his assistant though, perhaps Whittaker, Darren Fletcher, Boozy even

First thing we asked JC, as he parked beside us, was he here to run the rule over Hibs. Said to me he was finished with Management

Peevemor
07-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Definitely, and I think Petrie should have stood up to them, were the wee souls asked to work to hard!!

Petrie didn't take the players' side.

I remember him inheriting an inconsistent but brilliant Hibs team and initially doing well with them until we went on a long winless run. Not beating Dunfermline over 180 minutes in the SC semi still infuriates me. Soon as he started signing his own players he was massively found out. Signed utter dross that our next manager had to try and sort out. Sounds quite familiar.

Exactly how I remember things.

Murray is doing a great job at Airdrie and has done well elsewhere in these leagues. John Collins was way ahead of his time trying to implement the mentality that is now accepted as the norm by players.
Will either be considered by Hibs , if indeed either of them put forward there interest I doubt it .

Way ahead of his time? In what respect?

BILLYHIBS
07-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Boozy would be a good shout as a Coach is a HIBS nut and loves our club and is highly regarded

Barman Stanton
07-11-2019, 09:32 AM

If I remember rightly his signings were a mixture of second choice players and Tommy Craig recommendations.

I personally put the Semi final defeats as down to the players not trying a leg for him. I also prefer to remember us destroying Killie in the League Cup final as well.

The Harp Awakes
07-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Totally agree. When he was Manager Hibs took in a fortune in transfer fees and he got pennies to spend trying to replace key players. Unsurprisingly results and performances went on a downward spiral.

Strange how someone who was a brilliant, classy player with Hibs and a successful Manager gets so much stick from the fans.

Barman Stanton
07-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Totally agree. When he was Manager Hibs took in a fortune in transfer fees and he got pennies to spend trying to replace key players. Unsurprisingly results and performances went on a downward spiral.

Strange how someone who was a brilliant, classy player with Hibs and a successful Manager gets so much stick from the fans.

I just don't get it at all. Admittedly he was a hero to me as I started going in the 80s. But some it seems would rather side with the likes of Mickey Stewart than Collins.

RossScott1991
07-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Collins is a big fat no from me. He has the right football ideas but far too arrogant personality. The last group players had stronger characters than this current lot and even they turned against him. Keep reading about Collins yogi etc, people get misty eyed and only remember the good with these guys.

People are quick to dismiss likes of a Jack Ross because he fails at Sunderland. John Collins hasn’t been been a manager for 10 years! No thanks

Speedway
07-11-2019, 09:50 AM
I'd rather have:

Joan Collins
Jackie Collins
Judy Collins
Phil Collins
Gemma Collins
Michelle Collins
Lewis Collins

Before John Collins as our new manager.

Onion
07-11-2019, 09:59 AM
Collins is a big fat no from me. He has the right football ideas but far too arrogant personality. The last group players had stronger characters than this current lot and even they turned against him. Keep reading about Collins yogi etc, people get misty eyed and only remember the good with these guys.

People are quick to dismiss likes of a Jack Ross because he fails at Sunderland. John Collins hasn’t been been a manager for 10 years! No thanks

All of this :aok: We've just had our fingers badly burned recruiting a manager who was ditched by Leeds United after 15 seconds and didn't heed the warning. We have real problems if the Hibs Board try to sort this mess out by appointing any manager who's already failed at the Hibs - and in Collins case someone who is not even a manager.

We've got to hope Ron Gordon has a more objective and ambitious view of the future for Hibs. As has been reported in the press, this appointment is the first real test for RG and will tell us a lot about what we can expect for years to come.

Barman Stanton
07-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting he be our new boss. I just don't get the hate towards Collins from a section of our support.

heretoday
07-11-2019, 10:10 AM
I'd rather have:

Joan Collins
Jackie Collins
Judy Collins
Phil Collins
Gemma Collins
Michelle Collins
Lewis Collins

Washed down with a large Tom Collins.

Doh Rae Me
07-11-2019, 10:10 AM
Collins was fantastic to watch as a player at Hibs and gave me one of my best memories at Hampden with 35k other Hibbies banging out SOL.
He deserves respect imo.

04Sauzee
07-11-2019, 10:16 AM
Washed down with a large Tom Collins.

My favourite Co Cktail btw 👌

GibbytheHibby2
07-11-2019, 10:17 AM

I’m not convinced that the players signed were his doing as opposed to Tommy **** Craig’s.

I still think that **** Craig didn’t give Collins the support he needed. JC chose TC because he was a good youth coach. He was a snide wee bugger and should have helped JC. He also went on to stab Danny Lennon in the back at St Mirren.

A better assistant may well have avoided the players turning with better advice to JC and also managing the players.

Peevemor
07-11-2019, 10:18 AM
I'd rather have:

Joan Collins
Jackie Collins
Judy Collins
Phil Collins
Gemma Collins
Michelle Collins
Lewis Collins

Any list worth it's salt should include Edwyn.

Just sayin' like.

HappyAsHellas
07-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Way ahead of his time? In what respect?

Does this not relate back to the challenge to players to take him on in a push up contest? He allegedly won easily, supposedly beating Scott Brown and used this to try and teach them the benefits of looking after yourself in a professional manner, citing his career as an example. In that respect, and if it actually happened, then you can argue that he was ahead of the curve at that time, trying to introduce what the sports scientists have been telling us these last years.

Peevemor
07-11-2019, 10:20 AM
I’m not convinced that the players signed were his doing as opposed to Tommy **** Craig’s.

I still think that **** Craig didn’t give Collins the support he needed. JC chose TC because he was a good youth coach. He was a snide wee bugger and should have helped JC. He also went on to stab Danny Lennon in the back at St Mirren.

A better assistant may well have avoided the players turning with better advice to JC and also managing the players.

Yes he did!

Gottle of geer, gottle of geer...

I'm not going in the gox....

BILLYHIBS
07-11-2019, 10:22 AM
I'd rather have:

Joan Collins
Jackie Collins
Judy Collins
Phil Collins
Gemma Collins
Michelle Collins
Lewis Collins

😂

GibbytheHibby2
07-11-2019, 10:23 AM
Yes he did!

That incident was one example where an experienced hand would have handled it differently (not that JC was a daft laddie and innocent in that debacle).

Speedway
07-11-2019, 10:24 AM

Just sayin' like.

If we're seriously considering Edwyn Collins as the new manager you can just rip it up and start again as far as I'm concerned.

Yes he did!

Not enough people are going to appreciate that joke for my liking.

jacomo
07-11-2019, 10:29 AM

You know him personally aye?

Some people are allowed a wee bit of arrogance because frankly they have achieved a lot more than others.

Why should Collins need to defer to some lower league journeyman who has an unfavourable opinion about his training methods.

Show us your six pack? Aye damn right, show this Hibs team how to press and move the ball properly!

Scottie
07-11-2019, 10:57 AM
First thing we asked JC, as he parked beside us, was he here to run the rule over Hibs. Said to me he was finished with Management
I find that very sad Billy. I've always hoped he would come back to us in some capacity.

Since452
07-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Collins was fantastic to watch as a player at Hibs and gave me one of my best memories at Hampden with 35k other Hibbies banging out SOL.
He deserves respect imo.

Or 50 thousand as Benji said 😉

Barman Stanton
07-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Or 50 thousand as Benji said 😉

Haha, underrated comment. Loved Benjis on pitch interview.

Golden Bear
07-11-2019, 11:10 AM

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Peevemor
07-11-2019, 11:46 AM
You know him personally aye?

Some people are allowed a wee bit of arrogance because frankly they have achieved a lot more than others.

Why should Collins need to defer to some lower league journeyman who has an unfavourable opinion about his training methods.

Show us your six pack? Aye damn right, show this Hibs team how to press and move the ball properly!

There's a fine line between arrogance and self confidence. Anyone that has to stand up in front of 20+ alpha males and tell them how things are going to be done has to believe that what he's saying is right, regardless of other peoples' opinions.

Is that arrogance? It's essential to a football manager in any case.

I definitely don't want John Collins back though. Nothing to do with his personality, everything to do with how he left and what he left us with.

worcesterhibby
07-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Just sayin' like.

Very good point !

Plus I would say that including Jackie Collins as the sole literary reference and ignoring Wilkie Collins is not Hibs class !

Peevemor
07-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Very good point !

Plus I would say that including Jackie Collins as the sole literary reference and ignoring Wilkie Collins is not Hibs class !

And how someone with Speedway as a user name can omit both Peter & Neil Collins is beyond me...

Danderhall Hibs
07-11-2019, 01:19 PM
And how someone with Speedway as a user name can omit both Peter & Neil Collins is beyond me...

Or Les.

Peevemor
07-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Or Les.

Indeed.

Speedway
07-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Indeed.

Or Frankie