PDA

View Full Version : Moyes "not interested,.' Stubbs 'interested'

timewilltell
04-11-2019, 07:49 PM
Former Manchester United manager David Moyes says he is "not interested" in becoming either Hearts or Hibernian manager.

Both Edinburgh clubs are on the hunt for a boss after Craig Levein and Paul Heckingbottom were both sacked in the past week.

Moyes' last post was in 2018 when he kept West Ham in the Premier League.

"Ultimately it is football management and it happens," the Scot told BBC Sportsound of the dismissals.

"But no, neither job would be of any interest to me.

"I wouldn't say I wouldn't move back to Scotland. Scotland is my love and Glasgow is where I'm from. Hopefully someday I may well come back but at the moment it's not just now."

Heckingbottom sacked as Hibernian boss
Budge in no rush to find Levein successor
However, former Hibs head coach Alan Stubbs, who steered the club to their first Scottish Cup win in 114 years in 2016, told Sportsound he would be open to a return to Easter Road.

Stubbs, who played for Moyes at Everton, last managed at St Mirren and previously had a spell at Rotherham United.

"I did leave too quick," Stubbs said. "My time there, I really enjoyed it's a great club. You can never say never. I'd be interested.

"It's sad to see both Edinburgh clubs in the situation that they're in right now. They'll be two lucky managers that go into two really good clubs."

Hearts owner Ann Budge said on Monday she was in "no rush" to find an appointment for Levein, while a brief Easter Road statement said more comment would be forthcoming in the coming days.

Hearts the more attractive job - analysis
Former Hearts and Hibernian midfielder Michael Stewart

If you're looking at the two jobs right at the moment then I think that the Hearts job is the more attractive. Hearts have a squad that you don't have to do a lot of things with to get results.

The steel that Neil Lennon brought to Hibs, they need to find that again because they are too easy to play against at the moment. The manager that comes in there will be needing to bring something into the squad in January to rectify that.

Find out more
BBC Sport Scottish Football
Read more on BBC Sport Scottish Football

Iggy Pope
04-11-2019, 07:53 PM
If Moyes is waiting on a Glasgow gig it’ll maybe need to be Thistle. Cheeky ****.

McSwanky
04-11-2019, 07:56 PM
If Moyes is waiting on a Glasgow gig it’ll maybe need to be Thistle. Cheeky ****.Spot on!

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

jacomo
04-11-2019, 08:20 PM
I think Moyes is a bit of a nob and almost every time I hear him speak it just reinforces that view.

He thinks he’s gonna get the Celtc job aye? Dream on.

Scorrie
04-11-2019, 08:24 PM
I think Moyes is a bit of a nob and almost every time I hear him speak it just reinforces that view.

He thinks he’s gonna get the Celtc job aye? Dream on.

I thinks he’s a bit of a fitbaw dinosaur as well. He’ll end up at Stoke or some team like that. Not bothered if we don’t get him

Is It On....
04-11-2019, 08:26 PM
If Moyes is waiting on a Glasgow gig it’ll maybe need to be Thistle. Cheeky ****.

Preston ✅
Everton ✅
Man U ❌
Sociedad ❌
Sunderland ❌
West Ham ❌☑️

Steve Clarke didn't diss Scottish football..and neither did Brendan or Gerrard. Hibs or our neighbours are a good way to rebuild your reputation. Probably not even contacted..shockingly arrogant and it comes across as more an attempt to remind everyone he is still about.

Cat Stanton
04-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Preston ✅
Everton ✅
Man U ❌
Sociedad ❌
Sunderland ❌
West Ham ❌☑️

Steve Clarke didn't diss Scottish football..and neither did Brendan or Gerrard. Hibs or our neighbours are a good way to rebuild your reputation. Probably not even contacted..shockingly arrogant and it comes across as more an attempt to remind everyone he is still about.

Are you on first name terms with Rodgers then?

Aaaaaaaanyway (just a wee joke) in defence of Moyes (and I'm not much of a fan either), he was a guest on Sportsound tonight. So I don't think he was seeking publicity or "trying to remind people he's still about". It's more the BBC lazily making headlines - they have a chat on the radio and then it becomes their main sports story that evening. It was the same with Stubbs tonight - he hasn't announced he's keen on the job: he was put on the spot in the programme about whether he was interested and he obviously wasn't going to say anything negative (in fact he tried quite hard to avoid saying anything at all). It's just slightly lazy journalism in terms of making a "news" story out of a chat on the radio.

hibeesam
04-11-2019, 08:52 PM
It will Be Stubbs 😇

Fife-Hibee
04-11-2019, 08:53 PM
It will Be Stubbs 😇

I hope not. It will be nothing like the last time he was here in my opinion.

hibeesam
04-11-2019, 09:04 PM
It will Be Stubbs and Doolan on Friday 😇😇

Hibernia&Alba
04-11-2019, 09:16 PM
I'd rather not go back to Stubbs and would prefer to move on. He chose to leave us for Rotherham United and must stand by that decision. I'd like a fresh start.

Crab apple
04-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Stubbs would have ticked a lot of boxes. It won’t be him though.

RoYO!
04-11-2019, 09:39 PM
Stubbsy! Stubbsy!

His hand was forced, he more or less had to leave- if the rumour mill is anything to go by.

A safe appointment. Someone who knows the game, knows what he getting into, knows the club. Added to that good football and a good record on signings..... emmm sign him up! :D

Vault Boy
04-11-2019, 09:42 PM
It will Be Stubbs and Doolan on Friday 😇😇

Genuine source, gut feeling, or a wild speculative guess? Take your pick :greengrin

Onion
04-11-2019, 09:49 PM
Stubbs and Doolan are heroes - never to be forgotten magicians of the May 2016. If he's offered the Hibs job and accepted, it should only been the basis that he's roaring success.

To go from a nonentity like Heckingbotton to a Living Legend like Stubbs would be surreal.

Scouse Hibee
04-11-2019, 10:01 PM
If Stubbs comes back I hope he can get us out of the championship this time.

Jones28
04-11-2019, 10:31 PM
It won’t be Stubbs, he’s done nothing since leaving under a cloud after the final. Circumstances at the club have changed but the person responsible for hiring and firing hasn’t and I don’t think she would bring him back.

Doolan is a manager in his own right now too - it’s not often you hear of someone leaving as manager to be an assistant to someone else.

Iggy Pope
04-11-2019, 10:34 PM

Oooooh. Claws.

B.H.F.C
04-11-2019, 10:41 PM
It won’t be Stubbs, he’s done nothing since leaving under a cloud after the final. Circumstances at the club have changed but the person responsible for hiring and firing hasn’t and I don’t think she would bring him back.

Doolan is a manager in his own right now too - it’s not often you hear of someone leaving as manager to be an assistant to someone else.

Doolan isn’t manager, he’s first team coach/assistant at Accrington.

hibeesam
04-11-2019, 10:53 PM
Doolan will Be in Edinburgh on Wednesday it will Be Done on Friday

J-C
04-11-2019, 11:03 PM

He didn't leave under a cloud, he left for family reasons, Rotherham were the only club needing a manager that was near enough to his family home.

neil7908
04-11-2019, 11:08 PM
I'd take Stubbs until the end of the season. At that point we can assess whether he deserves more time or it's best to move on.

Jones28
04-11-2019, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=B.H.F.C;5980524]Doolan isn’t manager, he’s first team coach/assistant at Accrington.[/QUOTE

I didn’t realise that, read elsewhere he was manager. Would it take compo to get him back?

Jones28
04-11-2019, 11:16 PM
He didn't leave under a cloud, he left for family reasons, Rotherham were the only club needing a manager that was near enough to his family home.

That’s not the story I’ve heard.

ABZHFC
04-11-2019, 11:25 PM
I'd be delighted if it was Stubbs until the end of the season, anyone slating his league record could do with remembering Lennon won the league with 1 point more (in an easier league) than Stubbs did when we finished 3rd the season prior.

And his record against top flight teams in the cup speaks for itself

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2019, 05:16 AM
That’s not the story I’ve heard.

I suppose you could say he left to keep his family together 😉

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2019, 05:19 AM
I'd be delighted if it was Stubbs until the end of the season, anyone slating his league record could do with remembering Lennon won the league with 1 point more (in an easier league) than Stubbs did when we finished 3rd the season prior.

And his record against top flight teams in the cup speaks for itself

Don’t get that argument at all, Lennon won the league, Stubbs didn’t and he failed to get us promoted which was his target. He failed that’s what matters.

Since452
05-11-2019, 05:28 AM
Don’t get that argument at all, Lennon won the league, Stubbs didn’t and he failed to get us promoted which was his target. He failed that’s what matters.

Lennon didn't have Hearts or Rangers in the league. Just as well as it was turgid stuff.

cabbage_88
05-11-2019, 05:56 AM
I'd take Stubbs until the end of the season. At that point we can assess whether he deserves more time or it's best to move on.

Definitely agree with this, I've been saying this for a while now. Could certainly do a lot worse. Don't want to see us hand out a long term contract to someone mid season.

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2019, 06:11 AM
I'd rather not go back to Stubbs and would prefer to move on. He chose to leave us for Rotherham United and must stand by that decision. I'd like a fresh start.

Scott Allan tried to force a move to Rangers before joining Celtic? Why should he be welcomed back but the SCOTTISH CUP WINNING Alan Stubbs shouldn't be?

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2019, 06:12 AM

Did klopp fail last season because he didn't win the league? Or did the champions league make up for it?

Stubbs was a massive success at Hibs. He'll be remembered long after Neil Lennon has been forgotten.

Barman Stanton
05-11-2019, 06:38 AM
Did klopp fail last season because he didn't win the league? Or did the champions league make up for it?

Stubbs was a massive success at Hibs. He'll be remembered long after Neil Lennon has been forgotten.

This. Some Hibs fans seem to have a dislike for Stubbs which I just can’t fathom.

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2019, 06:40 AM

Yes he failed to win the league!

The CL was a consolation prize just like the Scottish cup.

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2019, 06:42 AM
Lennon didn't have Hearts or Rangers in the league. Just as well as it was turgid stuff.

Hearts and Rangers had Hibs in the league, it didn’t stop them!

Barman Stanton
05-11-2019, 06:46 AM

You would swap that Cup win for promotion?

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2019, 06:51 AM
You would swap that Cup win for promotion?

Let me think about that.

Barman Stanton
05-11-2019, 06:58 AM
Let me think about that.

Well you seem to see things in straight forward black and white. No promotion = failure. Not taking into account Lennon only got 1 more point than the previous season without Rangers in the league. And with a team that Stubbs built.

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2019, 07:06 AM
Well you seem to see things in straight forward black and white. No promotion = failure. Not taking into account Lennon only got 1 more point than the previous season without Rangers in the league. And with a team that Stubbs built.

Yes no promotion equals failure is right, if a new manager comes in and turns us around with the current squad of players that Hecky built, we won’t be congratulating Hecky now will we. Stubbs target was promotion, he failed and that’s a fact. Is he worth another go because he won the Scottish cup? Some folk say yes, I disagree.

B.H.F.C
05-11-2019, 07:07 AM

I never really buy in to the whole ‘Lennon only got one point more in the championship’ thing. He did, but didn’t regularly lose at places like Dumbarton and Alloa. Most of the games that really mattered, he won. I never really felt we wouldn’t win the league while Stubbs finished behind Falkirk.

I say that as someone who wouldn’t be against Stubbs coming in until the end of the season, initially. I think he’d get more out of them and have a go in games.

Hibby Kay-Yay
05-11-2019, 07:07 AM
Yes no promotion equals failure is right, if a new manager comes in and turns us around with the current squad of players that Hecky built, we won’t be congratulating Hecky now will we. Stubbs target was promotion, he failed and that’s a fact. Is he worth another go because he won the Scottish cup? Some folk say yes, I disagree.

Just curious, what does success look like for Hibs in the top flight?

southern hibby
05-11-2019, 07:16 AM

SH, obviously Stubbs never got us promoted but he did something that no other Manager in Scotland has ever done. He got us to the two cup finals in the same season from the lower divisions. I believe he is only the second manager ever to win the Scottish Cup from the lower divisions.

i don’t know if him coming back would be good or not but if he does he gets my full support as did Heckingbottom until it was obvious he just couldn’t hack it.

The problem i think we will have is how much we can we can afford to throw at this problem in pay offs new managers wages and how much he wants to spend on players.

GGTTH

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2019, 07:19 AM
SH, obviously Stubbs never got us promoted but he did something that no other Manager in Scotland has ever done. He got us to the two cup finals in the same season from the lower divisions. I believe he is only the second manager ever to win the Scottish Cup from the lower divisions.

i don’t know if him coming back would be good or not but if he does he gets my full support as did Heckingbottom until it was obvious he just couldn’t hack it.

The problem i think we will have is how much we can we can afford to throw at this problem in pay offs new managers wages and how much he wants to spend on players.

GGTTH

He will get my full support too, I would just rather not but whoever comes in I won’t write them off before a ball is kicked.

MacGruber
05-11-2019, 07:19 AM
I think both Stubbs and Lennon were great for Hibs.

I think neither would have won the championship in the 1st 2 seasons. Lennon wouldn't have got promotion over a run away Hearts or Rangers second season.

I think both would have won the championsip in the 3rd season. Lennon did, Stubbs would have too.

Stubbs showed he could get about the same points total out of a more difficult league.

Loved watching hibs under both - until it went off the rails for Lennon in the end

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2019, 07:21 AM
Just curious, what does success look like for Hibs in the top flight?

That depends on your expectations, for me it would be be consistently finishing in the top five.

Barman Stanton
05-11-2019, 07:25 AM

Its not just about the Cup win though is it. Look at what he inherited and the team he built. The style of football he had us playing. He had many falling in love with our club again. Also had a very good connection with the Hibs fans. I personally would love him back.

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2019, 07:28 AM
Its not just about the Cup win though is it. Look at what he inherited and the team he built. The style of football he had us playing. He had many falling in love with our club again. Also had a very good connection with the Hibs fans. I personally would love him back.

I get that mate you and plenty of others too, just not for me, would love to be proved wrong and he comes back and is a roaring success. Time will tell, we all want the same end goal it’s all about opinions about who can deliver it.

Barman Stanton
05-11-2019, 07:37 AM
I get that mate you and plenty of others too, just not for me, would love to be proved wrong and he comes back and is a roaring success. Time will tell, we all want the same end goal it’s all about opinions about who can deliver it.

Indeed mate. I dont think he will get it anyway. Have a feeling a deal with Jack Ross is already done.

Greenworld
05-11-2019, 07:44 AM
I must say I'm in the Stubbs camp I'm a great believer that certain managers suit a club just like certain players.
Stubbs with Doolan built a team that was great to watch frustrating at times I will agree but I enjoyed watching the team.
The problem is I think he needs Doolan to make it work for him.
Everything is a gamble in Football the Motherwell getting good plaudits at the moment and interestingly he mentioned that he was getting players from the lower English leagues and working hard to get them achieving so clearly he will be of interest to the board.
Listening to GM talking about how we are trying to link up with some top European teams I wonder if we might look at a foreign manager .
No matter who we appoint the players need to kick and fight there way to winning some games quickly

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

J-C
05-11-2019, 08:01 AM
I never really buy in to the whole ‘Lennon only got one point more in the championship’ thing. He did, but didn’t regularly lose at places like Dumbarton and Alloa. Most of the games that really mattered, he won. I never really felt we wouldn’t win the league while Stubbs finished behind Falkirk.

I say that as someone who wouldn’t be against Stubbs coming in until the end of the season, initially. I think he’d get more out of them and have a go in games.

But he got beat off Dundee U, St Mirren, Ayr and QOS, drew against Morton, Raith, Dunfermline and Dunbarton, plus the teams he got beaten from. It was turgid stuff under Lennon that 1st season.

jeffers
05-11-2019, 08:08 AM
I must say I'm in the Stubbs camp I'm a great believer that certain managers suit a club just like certain players.
Stubbs with Doolan built a team that was great to watch frustrating at times I will agree but I enjoyed watching the team.
The problem is I think he needs Doolan to make it work for him.
Everything is a gamble in Football the Motherwell getting good plaudits at the moment and interestingly he mentioned that he was getting players from the lower English leagues and working hard to get them achieving so clearly he will be of interest to the board.
Listening to GM talking about how we are trying to link up with some top European teams I wonder if we might look at a foreign manager .
No matter who we appoint the players need to kick and fight there way to winning some games quickly

Fwiw I'd take Stubbs back too, but the bit in bold what is this based on ? What did Doolan do that made such a difference (genuine question as it's stated so many times that he needs to come with Stubbs) or is it just people putting 2 and 2 together because he was with him at Hibs and wasn't at Rotherham and St Mirren ?

B.H.F.C
05-11-2019, 08:09 AM
But he got beat off Dundee U, St Mirren, Ayr and QOS, drew against Morton, Raith, Dunfermline and Dunbarton, plus the teams he got beaten from. It was turgid stuff under Lennon that 1st season.

We only lost three games in the league. The wins at Tannadice and Falkirk twice meant we were always going to win the league with a bit to spare. Quite a few draws but the wins when it mattered, big swing if any of those games had went the other way, made all the difference. Agree it wasn’t pretty, but it did the job.

Peevemor
05-11-2019, 08:10 AM

Fwiw I'd take Stubbs back too, but the bit in bold what is this based on ? What did Doolan do that made such a difference (genuine question as it's stated so many times that he needs to come with Stubbs) or is it just people putting 2 and 2 together because he was with him at Hibs and wasn't at Rotherham and St Mirren ?

And Andy (Taff) Holden was Stubbs' assistant at Hibs but he gets left out of all these conversations.

jeffers
05-11-2019, 08:13 AM
And Andy (Taff) Holden was Stubbs' assistant a Hibs but he gets left out of all these conversations.

Yes that's true. I often think folk are blinded by Doolan being a good guy who seemed to really get Hibs, whereas Holden seemed much quieter and more in the background. Be interested to know what part each actually played.

Amazinsauzee
05-11-2019, 08:17 AM
We only lost three games in the league. The wins at Tannadice and Falkirk twice meant we were always going to win the league with a bit to spare. Quite a few draws but the wins when it mattered, big swing if any of those games had went the other way, made all the difference. Agree it wasn’t pretty, but it did the job.

Lennon also didn’t get to 2 cup finals while having Rangers in the league

The championship season with Lennon was brutal (thankfully Falkirk and Dundee Utd were just that wee bit worse)

Barman Stanton
05-11-2019, 08:18 AM
And Andy (Taff) Holden was Stubbs' assistant at Hibs but he gets left out of all these conversations.

Yeah thats fair. Ideally it would be his full team back.

Since452
05-11-2019, 08:20 AM
Sure i read somewhere Andy Holden had retired indefinitely? It looks like Stubbs struggled without him

rcarter1
05-11-2019, 08:28 AM
My first question to a candidate would be, what players do you think will be the core to the new team?

If the answer doesn’t include Scott Allan then it better include Lionel Messi..

B.H.F.C
05-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Lennon also didn’t get to 2 cup finals while having Rangers in the league

The championship season with Lennon was brutal (thankfully Falkirk and Dundee Utd were just that wee bit worse)

It wasn’t the games against Rangers in the second season that did for us. We won two and they won two.

It was the fact we lost about a quarter of our games including at places like Alloa and Dumbarton (twice I think).

I’m not actually being overly critical of Stubbs, I said I’d take him back. But Lennon stopped us losing to the real diddy teams quite so frequently.

jacomo
05-11-2019, 09:03 AM

:agree:

jacomo
05-11-2019, 09:04 AM

Aw naw. Will Hearts be in it again next season?

jacomo
05-11-2019, 09:07 AM

If this is true, why does Stubbs keep saying he would like to return?

It would be a weird thing to do if he knew there was no chance of it happening.

FilipinoHibs
05-11-2019, 09:07 AM
Let me think about that.

No

Mr Grieves
05-11-2019, 09:15 AM

I listened to this and he's only interested in the Celtic or English premiership jobs. I doubt he'll manage again

Marvellous
05-11-2019, 09:19 AM
For me it depends on who has been mainly responsible for the signings. If it's our own backroom team who identified Stubbs' signings then I can sympathise, slightly, with people who'd prefer we go for someone new. If the main responsibility is with Stubbs then I want us to get him back. No other manager in the last 20 years signed as many good players as Stubbs. I want that again.

we are hibs
05-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Really want someone in who makes me feel excited going to easter road again. When was the last time anyone genuinely came away from a game at easter road and thought "i really enjoyed that"? Its like all the life and fun has been slowly dragged out supporting hibs.

J-C
05-11-2019, 09:26 AM
For me it depends on who has been mainly responsible for the signings. If it's our own backroom team who identified Stubbs' signings then I can sympathise, slightly, with people who'd prefer we go for someone new. If the main responsibility is with Stubbs then I want us to get him back. No other manager in the last 20 years signed as many good players as Stubbs. I want that again.

Stubbs worked closely with the recruitment team and he also had an eye for a player, so a bit of both.

The Leith Dutch
05-11-2019, 09:43 AM

I like both NL and Stubbs.

Lennon provided the best half season of football in terms of quality and results I've seen at Hibs with that run from January.
Nobody is perfect and NL had to go at the end but he had us as a team who worried the OF most times we played.

Stubbs brought us the cup but didn't get promoted.
We played good football and his recruitment was generally good.

If I'm honest I prefer not to go back but certainly wouldn't be upset if it was Stubbs.

portohibee
05-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Don't really want Stubbs back, he failed to get us out the championship, and in all reality, was a few minutes away from being emptied until SDG stepped up.
Wasn't he overlooked when Hecky got the gig? Nothing much changed since then so I would say the chances are slim,

Dublin07
05-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Really want someone in who makes me feel excited going to easter road again. When was the last time anyone genuinely came away from a game at easter road and thought "i really enjoyed that"? Its like all the life and fun has been slowly dragged out supporting hibs.

This is exactly how I feel at this moment. Probably only had it 4 times in 40 years. The latapy sauzee days under mcleish, young team under Mowbray, stubbs and Jan-Apr 18 under lennon.

Lancs Harp
05-11-2019, 10:07 AM
I think Moyes would be a bad move for us. His more recent work hasn't been that great and I'm pretty sure if he took the job here (which sounds like he isnt interested in anyway) he'd dump us ina flash for a club down south and leave us in the lurch.

Stubbsy made some good signings and although failed to get us out of the Championship (we were competing against Hearts and Rangers it has to be said) his side played good attacking football, if a little "soft centered" at times. He won the cup of course. Lennon added steel and a bit of fire to that Stubbs team. A natural progression. For one reason or another Lennon lost his way, I think he is a bit of a complicated character but the next appointment should have been someone to build on what Stubbs and Lennon had created and nutured, instead we appointed someone who it seems by his own admission knew very little about Scottish football and our Club itself. The momentum of the last few seasons stalled at best, lost at worse in the space of a very short period of time. Certain people involved in Heckys appointment need to be looking very closely at themselves they are as much to blame as Hecky for me. Massive leaps in attendance and interest in the club, tremendous feel good factor, a great product on the pitch, a feeling of great product off the pitch, attacking attractive winning football all put at risk. Hindsight is of course a wonderful thing, but the signs had been there long enough and reaction from the top brass way too slow. One league win going into November said it all IMO.

Anyway, the inevitable happened in the end and we have a chance to put a club back on the right road, lets make sure we get it right eh.

GGTTH

Marvellous
05-11-2019, 10:50 AM
Don't really want Stubbs back, he failed to get us out the championship, and in all reality, was a few minutes away from being emptied until SDG stepped up.
Wasn't he overlooked when Hecky got the gig? Nothing much changed since then so I would say the chances are slim,

He got us to the League Cup final as well in the same season and lost out on automatic promotion to Rangers; that and getting to the Scottish cup final (regarldless of Gray's header) should not have lead to him getting sacked.

theonlywayisup
05-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Not since Lennon's teams with John McGinn in midfield. It all went downhill as soon as McGinn left.

B.H.F.C
05-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Not since Lennon's teams with John McGinn in midfield. It all went downhill as soon as McGinn left.

We’ve never recovered from losing him.

He was so much more than just a good midfielder. His second last game, away in Greece, he just about dragged us through single handed and it just totally summed him up.

Jim44
05-11-2019, 11:08 AM
He got us to the League Cup final as well in the same season and lost out on automatic promotion to Rangers; that and getting to the Scottish cup final (regarldless of Gray's header) should not have lead to him getting sacked.

He didn’t get sacked. He walked away to a job in Rotherham but got sacked there after a few months. He’s always said on reflection that he made a big mistake leaving Hibs. I wouldn’t be against him returning.

ABZHFC
05-11-2019, 11:09 AM

He drew an insane amount of games, 2 wins in 10 in the league from February to mid-April

Marvellous
05-11-2019, 11:12 AM
He didn’t get sacked. He walked away to a job in Rotherham but got sacked there after a few months. He’s always said on reflection that he made a big mistake leaving Hibs. I wouldn’t be against him returning.

The person I quoted said Stubbs would have been sacked if Gray didn't score the header.

ABZHFC
05-11-2019, 11:13 AM

He was also a few minutes from possibly winning the League Cup and the playoff semi-final, if we're going to go there?

And in terms of him being overlooked in February, that was precisely because people want a fresh, new face, look where it's got us? Maybe looking back isn't always regressive, maybe he knows the club well, and plays an attractive style of football that is guaranteed to get the fans on-side again

Since452
05-11-2019, 11:15 AM
He drew an insane amount of games, 2 wins in 10 in the league from February to mid-April

It was a turgid snore fest in the Championship under Lennon. 14 draws against some horrific opposition

Jim44
05-11-2019, 11:20 AM
The person I quoted said Stubbs would have been sacked if Gray didn't score the header.

Sorry. I hadn’t taken in the post you were responding to.

Greenworld
05-11-2019, 11:24 AM
Fwiw I'd take Stubbs back too, but the bit in bold what is this based on ? What did Doolan do that made such a difference (genuine question as it's stated so many times that he needs to come with Stubbs) or is it just people putting 2 and 2 together because he was with him at Hibs and wasn't at Rotherham and St Mirren ?Doolan was recognised as being the real driving force players loved his trying sessions and tactical awareness.
I think they worked well together ...

Bit like Laural with out Hardy
cannon without ball it just doesn't work

Lendo
05-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Might be in the minority here, but I will be thoroughly underwhelmed if we go back to Stubbs.

blackpoolhibs
05-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Whoever we get is going to struggle with this lot of players we've been lumbered with. Once again we need a huge rebuild in defence, midfield and attack.

Both full backs and Hanlon have seen better days, Jackson and James who we brought in last season are not an upgrade on what we have, James is a poor player with no pace, no positional sense but like Mallan can deliver a good cross or shot.

Midfield, Hallberg and Allan apart are pish, a complete waste of a jersey 99% of the time. Horgan flatters to deceive, runs around but little end product and cant defend.

Mallan is another waste of a jersey, players run past him as if he's not there, he cant run or tackle but has a wicked shot on him, i want more from a midfielder.

Middleton, who where what.

Vela. :faf: Newell :faf:

Slivka, at best a back up, Scott Allan and Boyle should be first names on the team sheet when fit, although expecting them to run the show when they have that shower of crap alongside them, and a defence with more holes than a colander is asking a lot.

And then we have our forwards, remember the bollox spouted last season about us only having 3 forwards and how short we were.

Lennon given dogs abuse for going with 3, here we have Doidge Kamberi and Shaw, and we apparently spent a great deal of our budget on Doidge. :faf:

So to sum up, we are pish in defence, slow ponderous and static. A midfield that have a couple of decent players and an injured one who if fit should improve us, but as a whole give a poor defence no cover and hardly supply a pish forward line with many opportunities.

A huge rebuild needed, well done Hibs and Hecky for taking us back years.

WhileTheChief..
05-11-2019, 12:09 PM

:top marks

That's all I'm hoping for too.

I hate that it's felt like a chore going to ER this season. It should be something to look forward to.

To answer your question, the 5-5 game against Rangers on the last day of the season, NL doing the helicopter on the pitch when the 5th went in.

Amazing times. Man I hope we see more of that before too long.

Biggie
05-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Did he not move on because he was mowing someone else's lawn ?

B.H.F.C
05-11-2019, 12:15 PM

He won the league. Then managed to achieve a modern day record points total in the league above once promoted.

Him and Stubbs both did really well for us. Both also had their faults.

blackpoolhibs
05-11-2019, 12:16 PM

I hate that it's felt like a chore going to ER this season. It should be something to look forward to.

To answer your question, the 5-5 game against Rangers on the last day of the season, NL doing the helicopter on the pitch when the 5th went in.

I think that 5-5 game was the last game i have been to that i genuinely felt excited and really enjoyed at Easter Road.

The drama and atmosphere was as good as i had witnessed in years. For 20-25 minutes, we were superb as a team and a support.

Bobby's Cinema
05-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Torn on this, from the legacy point of view I felt fair enough Stubbs left as he did although clearly the wrong move for himself.

The more I think about it though the more he has got to be a very stong candidate.

J-C
05-11-2019, 12:39 PM

One way of putting it 😁

barcahibs
05-11-2019, 01:59 PM
Would rather remember Stubbs as a cup winning legend than invite him back with the possibility of tarnishing that memory.

Must admit I'm a bit swayed by the opinion of a St Mirren supporting friend of mine - one of the most mild mannered guys you'll ever meet, the only time I've ever seen him get angry is when discussing Stubbs at St Mirren.

TBH honest I've never really got over the way Mixu was treated at the end of his tenure as manager. One of my heroes on the pitch, complete with hat-trick against the Duncans, ending his days at Easter Road being booed from the stands and abused on the message baords.

I'd hate that to happen to Stubbs.

Since452
05-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Would rather remember Stubbs as a cup winning legend than invite him back with the possibility of tarnishing that memory.

Must admit I'm a bit swayed by the opinion of a St Mirren supporting friend of mine - one of the most mild mannered guys you'll ever meet, the only time I've ever seen him get angry is when discussing Stubbs at St Mirren.

TBH honest I've never really got over the way Mixu was treated at the end of his tenure as manager. One of my heroes on the pitch, complete with hat-trick against the Duncans, ending his days at Easter Road being booed from the stands and abused on the message baords.

I'd hate that to happen to Stubbs.

HFCEighteen75's thead got me all dewy eyed but i agree. Lets just leave him as a cup winning legend. Rather remember him as that. Going back rarely works.

Cabbage-Patch
05-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Neither for me thanks. Moyes has been an unmitigated disaster at every club since Everton and his comments on Sports sound yesterday were nothing short of disgraceful re Scottish Football.

Stubbs had his time and jumped ship at the 1st opportunity. Plus his short reign at St Mirren show we should leave the past where it is. We need an experienced SPL manager

05-11-2019, 02:56 PM

Klopp out! Should have sacked him before the Champions League Final after he'd lost the league.
:faf:

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2019, 03:07 PM
During the many games Hecky won in a row? Really wasn't that long ago. We were hopeless for 4 years straight before relegation and folk weren't this dramatic.

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Neither for me thanks. Moyes has been an unmitigated disaster at every club since Everton and his comments on Sports sound yesterday were nothing short of disgraceful re Scottish Football.

Stubbs had his time and jumped ship at the 1st opportunity. Plus his short reign at St Mirren show we should leave the past where it is. We need an experienced SPL manager

Moyes wasn't a disaster at West ham at all.

We need a good manager. Couldn't care less if they were spl experienced. Peter Houston and Craig Levein fit that bill.

bigwheel
05-11-2019, 03:09 PM

agreed...after a slow start , he was recognised to have made quite a positive difference to them....

Cabbage-Patch
05-11-2019, 03:25 PM

We need a good manager. Couldn't care less if they were spl experienced. Peter Houston and Craig Levein fit that bill.

"I'm a manager who has over 500 games in the English Premier League... Why would I consider Scotland. I'm a Glasgow man anyway. Maybe one day I will go back but that dosent interest me at the moment"

That is more or less what he said on the radio yesterday.

That's not someone I want at Hibs.. Arrogant twat

we are hibs
05-11-2019, 03:38 PM
During the many games Hecky won in a row? Really wasn't that long ago. We were hopeless for 4 years straight before relegation and folk weren't this dramatic.

None of those games were great entertainment and had people leaving the ground feeling good about what they just watched and he didnt win many games in a row, he went unbeaten which included draws. Im not being dramatic either. Calling the atmosphere around easter road "poison" this season is being dramatic and reeks of attention seeking however 👍

calumhibee1
05-11-2019, 03:42 PM

Obviously I don’t know what games you do and don’t go to but did you not enjoy our wins against Celtic last season? Or the Asteras game? There’s not been loads of them but there was certainly a few decent games last season.

Different strokes for different folks as well but I quite enjoyed our draw with Celtic a few weeks ago.

hibeesam
05-11-2019, 04:07 PM
I will not say it again it will Be Stubbs on Friday Doolan will be in Edinburgh Tomorrow 😇 😇

WhileTheChief..
05-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Obviously I don’t know what games you do and don’t go to but did you not enjoy our wins against Celtic last season? Or the Asteras game? There’s not been loads of them but there was certainly a few decent games last season.

Different strokes for different folks as well but I quite enjoyed our draw with Celtic a few weeks ago.

I've been to every game at ER but don't do away games.

Sure, we've had a few decent results and I maybe read the guys question incorrectly.

I guess what I'm saying is that the 5-5 game was one of my favourites over the last few seasons along with the Natural Order game and the Ear Cupping at Ibrox!! These were games where the whole crowd was buzzing and everyone left with a spring in their step.

Celtic a few weeks ago was the only decent performance I saw under Heckingbottom but even that was a million miles away from the games I've just mentioned.

To put it another way, there hasn't been a single game this season that I have looked forward to or come away from thinking , "ya dancer, that was good".

Unseen work
05-11-2019, 04:27 PM
I will not say it again it will Be Stubbs on Friday Doolan will be in Edinburgh Tomorrow 😇 😇

Reliable source?

Personally i I really hope it’s not the case.

McKenzie
05-11-2019, 04:36 PM

Til end of season or long term? I’d back an interim appointment of this while we do due diligence for starting the season while a new manager can observe from afar

calumhibee1
05-11-2019, 05:43 PM
I've been to every game at ER but don't do away games.

Sure, we've had a few decent results and I maybe read the guys question incorrectly.

I guess what I'm saying is that the 5-5 game was one of my favourites over the last few seasons along with the Natural Order game and the Ear Cupping at Ibrox!! These were games where the whole crowd was buzzing and everyone left with a spring in their step.

Celtic a few weeks ago was the only decent performance I saw under Heckingbottom but even that was a million miles away from the games I've just mentioned.

To put it another way, there hasn't been a single game this season that I have looked forward to or come away from thinking , "ya dancer, that was good".

I hope the 5-5 game isn’t where the bar has been set for excitement for you or you’re going to be awfy disappointed because that was just ****ing bonkers :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2019, 05:45 PM
None of those games were great entertainment and had people leaving the ground feeling good about what they just watched and he didnt win many games in a row, he went unbeaten which included draws. Im not being dramatic either. Calling the atmosphere around easter road "poison" this season is being dramatic and reeks of attention seeking however 👍

Hibs winning is great entertainment. Hibs winning comfortable is definitely great entertainment. I definitely went away feeling good.

Nothing attention seeking about me saying that, its my opinion. I've never cared one bit if people give me attention or not.

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2019, 05:46 PM
"I'm a manager who has over 500 games in the English Premier League... Why would I consider Scotland. I'm a Glasgow man anyway. Maybe one day I will go back but that dosent interest me at the moment"

That is more or less what he said on the radio yesterday.

That's not someone I want at Hibs.. Arrogant twat

Why is valuing himself arrogant? He probably does have a better CV that Hibs.

WhileTheChief..
05-11-2019, 05:47 PM
I hope the 5-5 game isn’t where the bar has been set for excitement for you or you’re going to be awfy disappointed because that was just ****ing bonkers :greengrin

You would probably have said that the week before when we beat Killie 5-3 :na na:

Dashing Bob S
05-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Love Stubbs (obviously) but going back is generally a mistake.

05-11-2019, 05:55 PM

So you're saying you want draws at home where we've let the lead slip? :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
05-11-2019, 06:16 PM
So you're saying you want draws at home where we've let the lead slip? :greengrin

I like to think of it as a decent fight back from 5-3 down!

Remember that feeling when we went 3-0 up? We dared to dream that it was on, it was epic, for a short period of time!

I doubt anyone on here felt anywhere close to that watching any of the games under PH, including the win over Hearts.

ABZHFC
05-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Love Stubbs (obviously) but going back is generally a mistake.

I do see your point, but I bet Lennon's not regretting going back to Celtic right now

Betty Boop
05-11-2019, 07:20 PM

Have approached Accrington to talk to Doolan ?

05-11-2019, 08:17 PM
I like to think of it as a decent fight back from 5-3 down!

Remember that feeling when we went 3-0 up? We dared to dream that it was on, it was epic, for a short period of time!

I doubt anyone on here felt anywhere close to that watching any of the games under PH, including the win over Hearts.

Yes, it was the most amazing game, the 5-3 against Killie a couple of weeks before was not bad too.

Re Stubbs, I'd be happy to see him come back. It feels like there's unfinished business as he wasn't here to defend the Scottish Cup so I'd love to see him "defend" it in 2020. It'd be worth it just for the "Here he goes.... 2 in a row" thread.

hibeesam
05-11-2019, 11:53 PM
He will Be back to win more cups and to beat hearts the rangers and Celtic on Friday cool hand Stubbs coming to Easter Road Friday 8/11/2019 wait and See

HibeeHibernian4
06-11-2019, 12:08 AM
He will Be back to win more cups and to beat hearts the rangers and Celtic on Friday cool hand Stubbs coming to Easter Road Friday 8/11/2019 wait and See

A win-win of either you being right or your confidence being remarkable. :aok:

GibbytheHibby2
06-11-2019, 06:36 AM

For me - the style of football played under Stubbs was better in the Championship. I’m convinced Stubbs would have got us up had he stayed another year. Only Lennons 2nd half of the first season up could be compared with anything Stubbs had us playing.

I recall Mowbray saying that if you play good football, you’ll win more than you’ll lose. A manager who can coach flair players and add a bit of grit to the team is what we need. I think Stubbs has it, but will it work 2ns time around? We may or may not find out.

hibeesam
06-11-2019, 12:54 PM
Doolan of the Train at Dunbar pick up by car to East mains it will Happen

Haymaker
06-11-2019, 01:17 PM

You've either got a great source or your confidence is amazing!

BoltonHibee
06-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Do Stubbs and Doolan still speak? I thought they had fallen out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
06-11-2019, 01:31 PM

You should pile on at the bookies you could make a fortune if that is correct.

JimBHibees
06-11-2019, 01:32 PM
You've either got a great source or your confidence is amazing!

:greengrin very specific information. Wonder what time the train gets into Dunbar?

Unseen work
06-11-2019, 02:36 PM

You’re very confident it will happen. You must have some source as it’s all very specific.

Personally hope Stubbs doesn’t get the job.

Since452
06-11-2019, 02:45 PM

Stand to make a fortune if that happens. You near a bookies?

Hibs90
06-11-2019, 03:21 PM

Utter pish.

jacomo
06-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Utter pish.

:agree:

It’s a request stop at Longniddry.

calumhibee1
06-11-2019, 03:36 PM

Is that you bleedsgreen?

degenerated
06-11-2019, 04:05 PM
And Andy (Taff) Holden was Stubbs' assistant at Hibs but he gets left out of all these conversations.He was also Stubbs assistant at rotherham too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
06-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Is that you bleedsgreen?

Exactly my thought too.

hibeerealist
06-11-2019, 05:00 PM

I know it as “cutting the grass” Biggie, either way you are correct.

The Captain....
06-11-2019, 08:24 PM
Never really took to Moyes..even when he was doing a decent job at Everton. I always wondered if he hadn't been Scottish would he of been Ferguson's recommendation as his replacement at Man U. He looked well out of his depth at that rarified level. So not too bothered he turned up his nose at the suggestion of coming back up here.

I'm pretty sure now it will be Jack Ross..he seems the.moat straightforward candidate from the current list of possibles. I dont see Stubbs coming back while Leeann Dempster is here. I dont know the details of his.departure.last time but she seemed to me to be pretty disappointed in him for whatever reason.

I'd hope we get someone in soon..we should have been doing the.majority of our homework for the.last month or so.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

hibeesam
07-11-2019, 01:47 PM
I think you no by now its Stubbs Leader Nos Scottish game Winner

HibeeHibernian4
07-11-2019, 01:54 PM

Sam my friend, we've got to see your sources.

Hibeesmad
07-11-2019, 02:01 PM

More chance of getting **** out of a rocking horse than Stubbs being appointed

Iggy Pope
07-11-2019, 02:18 PM

You battered that out in a hurry Sam.