PDA

View Full Version : What do you prefer: exciting football or good results?

elevengoats
04-11-2019, 03:08 PM
I think this is the right time to ask this question.

Even though we all want great results AND great style of play, would you rather:
1) See us playing attacking football, maybe regularly winning 4:3 or losing 3:4 and finishing 6th; or
2) See us scraping 1:0 wins, creating maybe couple of chances per game and stopping opposition from creating anything, and finishing in the 3rd-4th place.

So which one?

MWHIBBIES
04-11-2019, 03:12 PM
The best teams usually play the best football, or at least very good football. Should go hand in hand. Can't remember a really ugly to watch league winning side in any top leagues recently.

sean04
04-11-2019, 03:14 PM
How about attacking football and winning games. Don’t need to be wide open at the back to play quick attacking football

Lee Marvin
04-11-2019, 03:14 PM
The best teams usually play the best football, or at least very good football. Should go hand in hand. Can't remember a really ugly to watch league winning side in any top leagues recently.

Aberdeen, albeit relative success

marleyhib
04-11-2019, 03:15 PM
Winning is rarely boring, your options are bogus

BlackSheep
Scoring more goals than the opposition would be a start... but some good football surely leads to good results.

Mikey_1875
Agree that they are not mutually exclusive. But to play along then realistically we are not going to win the league, so I'd rather have the exciting football.

easty
04-11-2019, 03:16 PM
If those were the only 2 options then I'd take the boring football and 3rd place finish every time.

Pretty Boy
04-11-2019, 03:18 PM
There seems a misunderstanding about the 'good teams win when they aren't playing well' saying.

I take it to mean that when the likes of the current Liverpool side have an off day they still scrape a win. However they are characterised far more by being an excellent football side who play expansive, attacking football and entertain. Others seem to see it as a team playing dull football and winning a lot of games 1-0.

For me exciting football and good results aren't mutually exclusive. It's perfectly possible to play exciting football and still win the majority of your games, in fact I'd argue playing expansive football makes it more likely that will be the case.

ABZHFC
04-11-2019, 03:19 PM
100% attacking football, look at Aberdeen fans and how miserable they are with McInnes, finishing best of the rest doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, even though I accept we should be challenging for it given the size of our budget

Fife-Hibee
04-11-2019, 03:21 PM
I prefer us playing well and winning. Your poll suggests that it has to be either one or the other, which isn't true at all.

We need a combination of players that can offer different things, but gel together as a unit. Fast wingers, a couple of strikers that can offer different types of goals. A bully in the heart of midfield who will terrify the ***** out of any opposition player that dares to cross over into our half of the field. Side backs that can tackle and track their runners and 7ft tall centre backs who will throw themselves in the way of opposition shots without fear or hesitation.

Eyrie
04-11-2019, 06:51 PM
Obviously both.

But if I had to choose I'd prefer to watch attractive football. I get bored enough at work without sitting through it at weekends as well.

Smartie
04-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Good football.

If you're trying to play good football then folk will be patient with you whilst you sort out the imperfections that stops it from being winning football.

If you play crap football then the knives are out for you the first time results dry up, and it happens to everyone.

Scouse Hibee
04-11-2019, 06:58 PM
A team that competes every season near the top end of the table would be my preference, you obviously need consistently decent results to do that so results for me.

hibeejeebies
04-11-2019, 09:30 PM
I think this is the right time to ask this question.

Even though we all want great results AND great style of play, would you rather:
1) See us playing attacking football, maybe regularly winning 4:3 or losing 3:4 and finishing 6th; or
2) See us scraping 1:0 wins, creating maybe couple of chances per game and stopping opposition from creating anything, and finishing in the 3rd-4th place.

So which one?

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but I think defending, when done well, is an art form, and I would rip your arm off for a Hibs team that won 1-0 most weeks.