PDA

View Full Version : The players he signed

Captain Trips
04-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Does anyone think that a new guy can get a tune out of them? Is there any hope that deployed differently there might be more to offer than we have seen?

I really really hope so.

hibee
04-11-2019, 03:21 PM
I’ve high hopes Hallberg will be good for us, not sure any of the others are worth keeping.

Hibernia&Alba
04-11-2019, 03:23 PM
We can only hope some of them can improve with a new manager, otherwise we will need another big clearout and more funds for new players. So far his signings look very poor.

#persevered
04-11-2019, 03:25 PM
Tin hat on but I actually think a proper system and better management could get a tune out of doidge and James. Vela is beyond help. Jackson has been fairly blameless since arriving. I think Newell can go and Middleton has been low impact.

random sub
04-11-2019, 04:05 PM
I haven’t really seen any hope for getting a tune out of them. Get shot and start again would be my advice. Would be happy to keep Halberg and Maxwell however

Phil MaGlass
04-11-2019, 04:06 PM
Vela should follow Hecky oot the door.

The Captain....
04-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Does anyone think that a new guy can get a tune out of them? Is there any hope that deployed differently there might be more to offer than we have seen?

I really really hope so.Who knows..confidence is a huge part of playing well. Maybe a fresh approach will see a bit of improvement from one or two..mostly I think they will return quietly down South..I dont think they have the quality personally.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Beefster
04-11-2019, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't write off anyone except Newell yet.

Onion
04-11-2019, 04:15 PM
Vela, Doidge Newall can all be told to find themselves new clubs asap.

snedzuk
04-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Tin hat on but I actually think a proper system and better management could get a tune out of doidge and James. Vela is beyond help. Jackson has been fairly blameless since arriving. I think Newell can go and Middleton has been low impact.

James should be taken to Edinburgh Airport to watch planes taking off and it explained to him that he should be more like the right hand engine - when its time to take off it doesnt move inside the passenger compartment - IT STAYS OUT ON THE ****ING WING.

gaz1875
04-11-2019, 04:18 PM

I really really hope so.

Not unless they are allowed to implant rockets up their *****, most miles of the pace despite having a full preseason.

Cataplana
04-11-2019, 04:18 PM
No, they are losers, get rid.

SChibs
04-11-2019, 04:22 PM
Deserved to be given a chance with a new manager, systems and ideas. Give the new manager the rest if the season to assess the squad and see who he fancies keeping

Aim Here
04-11-2019, 04:27 PM
Possibly.

Even Hecky managed some reasonable performances for about half of each individual game that was played recently (we even put up a respectable fight for the second half of that 5-2 drubbing on Saturday). Someone else might get something out of them, particularly with a new manager, an imminent transfer window coming up and their job security foremost in their minds.

It's not just Hecky's own signings that are an issue. Hanlon and Stevenson have been mostly underperforming this season, and against decent opposition, Mallan tends to act as a deep-lying goalpoacher whose passing and tackling put us a man-down in midfield...

supermcginn
04-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Hallberg looks promising but the rest are huddies.

Speedy
04-11-2019, 05:09 PM
No, they are losers, get rid.

Harsh. More than anything else they are drawers :greengrin

Jim44
04-11-2019, 05:13 PM
I think Doidge has had more than enough time to prove a point but has failed. Vela is just poor and can’t stay beyond Christmas. I’m disappointed that Middleton hasn’t hit the spot as he seems well thought of at Ibrox. I’m indifferent to PH’s other signings.

AgentDaleCooper
04-11-2019, 05:24 PM
i think our squad is capable of scraping into the top 6, and we're only a couple of good additions away from being very good.

J-C
04-11-2019, 05:26 PM
Only Doidge cost money, the rest were all free contracts so will be easier to move on if any new manager wants to. They're all well enough known down south so it shouldn't because huge problem shifting them, Hallberg is the only one I'd keep.

Iain G
04-11-2019, 05:28 PM
Only Doidge cost money, the rest were all free contracts so will be easier to move on if any new manager wants to. They're all well enough known down south so it shouldn't because huge problem shifting them, Hallberg is the only one I'd keep.

Apart from the long contracts they are mostly on that will need paid up?

J-C
04-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Not if they can get a club to sign them up, the majority don't really look like they're enjoying themselves up here, a wee bit added pressure due to our higher expectations instead of playing in mediocrity in mid table Championship teams.

Smartie
04-11-2019, 05:35 PM
i think our squad is capable of scraping into the top 6, and we're only a couple of good additions away from being very good.

I agree.

Vela is the one who has disappointed the most. I don't see what he is going to find that is suddenly going to turn him into a Premier League CM, so I'd probably write him off.

The rest of them, in the right team and the right formation, I could see having a positive impact (I think I'm the only one on here that sees a player in Newell).

We seriously need to bolster the middle of the park, take the difficult Allan/ Mallan decision every week and work out what we're doing up front - if we're to play one up front then sign someone who can play up there on his own, if we're sticking with what we've got then find a way to play both Flo and Doidge and sign some decent cover.

We're not far off having a very good team but PH was never going to do the necessary.

Daydreamer
04-11-2019, 05:36 PM
James should be taken to Edinburgh Airport to watch planes taking off and it explained to him that he should be more like the right hand engine - when its time to take off it doesnt move inside the passenger compartment - IT STAYS OUT ON THE ****ING WING.

Made me laugh mate and your not far wsrong

emerald green
04-11-2019, 05:37 PM
The players he / the club signed have been utter failures with the odd exception. Just not good enough to compete at this level.

Vela, in particular, offers nothing whatsoever.

hibee316
04-11-2019, 05:37 PM
Only Doidge cost money, the rest were all free contracts so will be easier to move on if any new manager wants to.

Eh, don't think that's how it works...

The Leith Dutch
04-11-2019, 05:40 PM

I really really hope so.

Will be interesting to see how many of them get picked.

I suspect the new manager has probably just about enough at his disposal to get a performance out
the squad as a whole just by setting the team up a little more sensibly in terms of formation or player
selection - depends on how you view stuff.

I suspect he'll probably have to focus on solidifying the team which might mean nothing too adventurous.
Maybe - shock horror - actually looking to put out a midfield capable of bossing the centre of the park.

If we're a bit lacking in attack but actually control the game and protect the defence I'll view that as a good
start. Whether we actually have the midfielders for that is another question - maybe Halberg, Slivka and Whittaker?

overdrive
04-11-2019, 05:40 PM

I don’t like James whatsoever, I think he’s slow, lazy and can’t defend. Good shot on him, though.

I don’t think we can blame him for the tucking in thing (yet). It was clearly a Heckingbottom tactic. Stevenson has been doing it too. He didn’t do it previously, so it was definitely a tactic from the manager.

The Leith Dutch
04-11-2019, 05:45 PM
I don’t like James whatsoever, I think he’s slow, lazy and can’t defend. Good shot on him, though.

I don’t think we can blame him for the tucking in thing (yet). It was clearly a Heckingbottom tactic. Stevenson has been doing it too. He didn’t do it previously, so it was definitely a tactic from the manager.

Bit in bold is key for me - much as I have reservations about most of his signings (Hallberg looks to be the pick of them so far) there were issues with how PH was setting the team up.
I'm not saying people aren't right in their judgement of them but if the new manager can set the team up properly and instill a bit of confidence we might see at least one or two of them differently. Fingers crossed as January is a long way off for the new guy.

where'stheslope
04-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Giving Hech's the sack and paying him off, is only the start, the players most want rid off will be well paid here and probably have no choice but to stay till their contracts run out!!!!

​OUCH!!!!!!

Sir David Gray
04-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Vela and Newell are hopeless and should be sharing the taxi fare with Heckingbottom.

Doidge is not a goalscorer at the level we're playing at and therefore is no use playing as a striker.

Not impressed by James as a defender but seems decent going forward so maybe better in midfield otherwise I'd get rid of him too.

Jackson seems ok although I'm sure we could find better.

Hallberg seems decent and worth persevering with.

Middleton should be punted back to Sevco now that Boyle's back fit as we only signed him due to Boyle's injury and he's been poor.

Naismith can stay due to a lack of options at right back.

Maxwell's been alright.

That's not a great success rate and I highly doubt another manager will be able to do anything different with Vela, Newell or Doidge.

Tyler Durden
04-11-2019, 06:20 PM
I think it’s pretty obvious that Doidge can’t play up front on his own. If we can get Kamberi or Boyle playing regularly along side him, he could be more effective. He’s not a great finisher but hopefully could be a decent foil for a partner.

I think Newell will have options in January, whether loan or permanent. Vela is a different story.

thegaffer12
04-11-2019, 06:25 PM
I see a future for Doidge and Kamberi as a pairing. Maxwell, Jackson and James have shown glimpses of promise. Hallberg I'm excited by and believe he will be a top player in a system that suits him. I see absolutely nothing in Vela which is heartbreaking seeing how exciting a transfer he was made out to be.

hibs#1
04-11-2019, 06:32 PM
I think a different (better?) manager could definitely get more out of the squad. I personally think a switch to a 352 would make huge difference the extra centre back would take away the need for a holding midfielder which we don't have anyway and would help Kamberi and Doidge and Shaw as none of them are great at playing up front alone.

My biggest fault with Heckingbottom was the fact he refused to deviate away from his preferred formation when when we really didn't have the right players for it. And I'm not one of those people who think 1 up top can't be attacking just none of our attacking players are quite right Balance for it.

DetroitHibs
04-11-2019, 06:51 PM
On the face of it, the players are ultimately what got Hecky fired. He did a lot better last season without them.

The Tubs
04-11-2019, 07:09 PM
On the face of it, the players are ultimately what got Hecky fired. He did a lot better last season without them.

I think the big difference was having mcgregor and gray in the team. Without them, there's very little personality in it. His worst decision was not signing players who could take on that role.

Weegreenman
04-11-2019, 07:13 PM

I really really hope so.

No is the answer. New manager needs funds and we need to get some balance in our midfield.

LNHibs
04-11-2019, 10:01 PM
Tin hat on but think Doige could come good. He’s scored goals pretty regularly at every other club. Seems a player totally void of confidence at the moment. Think if he got himself a couple goals and the boost of a new manager might get his confidence up and hopefully we can see the best of him

Sir David Gray
04-11-2019, 10:07 PM
Tin hat on but think Doige could come good. He’s scored goals pretty regularly at every other club. Seems a player totally void of confidence at the moment. Think if he got himself a couple goals and the boost of a new manager might get his confidence up and hopefully we can see the best of him

Every other level being the 4th and 5th divisions in England plus the Welsh league, all vastly inferior to the Scottish Premiership.

I think he's got a decent workrate but I think he will struggle to ever reach double figures for goals scored at our level.

Captain Trips
04-11-2019, 10:08 PM

Is JC not suggesting they would be sold cheaply enough at no loss as were free? If a club wants to buy Vela then we do not fork out anything.

IberianHibernian
04-11-2019, 10:12 PM
Presumably the new manager will be strong enough to make decisions about how useful all the players in squad are . Lots of questions to be asked about contracts given to players signed by PH and others signed by previous managers .

J-C
04-11-2019, 10:57 PM
Is JC not suggesting they would be sold cheaply enough at no loss as were free? If a club wants to buy Vela then we do not fork out anything.

Exactly, they probably realise the game is harder than expected up here and are now struggling to cope with the expectancy of what we demand, they're poor mid table lower league players, they've never had to worry about high expectations and they'll hopefully be champing at the bit to get back down south again.

CMurdoch
04-11-2019, 11:11 PM
Vela looking like the turd of the bunch.
No English team wanted him for the wage he was looking for in the summer.
He has 2.5 years to run on his contract.
Unless he punches a teammate at training etc we might be stuck with him or have to pay him off.

SteveHFC
04-11-2019, 11:16 PM
I would keep Maxwell and Jackson as back-up with Hallberg in the starting 11 each week. The rest can go.

CMurdoch
04-11-2019, 11:26 PM
I would keep Maxwell and Jackson as back-up with Hallberg in the starting 11 each week. The rest can go.

If only it was so easy or are you offering to personally pay off their contracts.
Very good of you if you are.

Unseen work
05-11-2019, 12:22 AM
The players that are allowed to go will easily find a new club regardless if they have 2 years or so remaining on their contract. I wouldn’t get worked up about that in the slightest.

Think we will see a fair turn over in January again.

FilipinoHibs
05-11-2019, 01:40 AM

They are all on 2-3 year contracts and would at least want to match the money and security they have at Hibs. If any body would take the Dog, I would give him away for nothing.

joebakerforever
05-11-2019, 02:16 AM
Irrespective of whether we can shift the likes of Vela, Newell & James. they should not now be considered for the first team squad.

I'd also hope Marciano returns in goal on Saturday, as Maxwell is an inferior shot stopper.

I'd rather bring in some development players, and recall Mackie & Gullan in January, together with some additions by our new manager.

Hopefully "Heckinbottom's Howlers" might be inclined to move on if some struggling English lower/non league clubs expressed interest

basehibby
05-11-2019, 06:38 AM
Halberg is definitely a keeper. The rest vary from poor to indifferent and most should be punted asap.

jacomo
05-11-2019, 07:31 AM
I think the big difference was having mcgregor and gray in the team. Without them, there's very little personality in it. His worst decision was not signing players who could take on that role.

Omeonga, McNulty and even Milligan too.

Paloschi
05-11-2019, 07:35 AM
The problem is the balance in the squad and lack of both a midfielder who can sit and get stuck in and a midfielder that can drive at defences. That behind Allan, Boyle and Kamberi can lift us into the top 6

neil7908
05-11-2019, 07:39 AM

I really really hope so.

The new manager is going to have to as these guys are largely on 3 year deals and it'll cost millions to get rid of them.

neil7908
05-11-2019, 07:40 AM
The problem is the balance in the squad and lack of both a midfielder who can sit and get stuck in and a midfielder that can drive at defences. That behind Allan, Boyle and Kamberi can lift us into the top 6

Agreed. I'd like to see us make a move for Mulumbu.

worcesterhibby
05-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Without doubt we will need to add players in January. Leadership, energy and pace have all been lacking, particularly in midfield. However it is worth remembering that up until the semi against Celtic this team was unbeaten in 6 matches including games against Celtic, Aberdeen (Away) and Kilmarnock (Away). That suggests that the players are capable of competing in this league. If we accept that the biggest issue is the manager then a new manager coming in, should be able to get a side that has shown again and again that it is capable of taking the lead in games, to actually win some. Add two maybe three players in and out in January and we could be looking at a very, very different end product.

The Modfather
05-11-2019, 09:02 AM
If only it was so easy or are you offering to personally pay off their contracts.
Very good of you if you are.

What’s the point in replies like that?

Keith_M
05-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Mostly poor and a drain on our budget.

Thanks Hecky

hibbie02
05-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Halberg is definitely a keeper. The rest vary from poor to indifferent and most should be punted asap.

I agree. I think the recruitment team were told to back off and let Hecky bring in his players. He thought the Scottish Premiership was on a par EFL League One teams, so wanted to recruit average League 1 Players. When this demonstrably failed, I reckon Dempster told the Recruitment Team to find a decent midfielder pronto and they did. They used their knowledge and contacts. In that scenario, the writing would have been on the wall for Hecky and his coat would have been on the shoogly peg.

I think Jackson could do a job as the back up CB as he is now. Doidge to me is inferior to Shaw and should be warming the bench. I think Naismith is better than James, so may be worth keeping. The rest can go now. We have better in our own younger players.

sean04
05-11-2019, 09:23 AM
It’s a clean slate for everybody now, I team berate off confidence and unhappy. Maybe a weight has been lifted from the shoulders now. Hopefully a more attack minded system will see us get the best vela, Mallan, Allan. Middleton, Doidge, flo. Really don’t have much hopes for Newell, don’t think he is suited to the Scottish game

J-C
05-11-2019, 09:23 AM
I agree. I think the recruitment team were told to back off and let Hecky bring in his players. He thought the Scottish Premiership was on a par EFL League One teams, so wanted to recruit average League 1 Players. When this demonstrably failed, I reckon Dempster told the Recruitment Team to find a decent midfielder pronto and they did. They used their knowledge and contacts. In that scenario, the writing would have been on the wall for Hecky and his coat would have been on the shoogly peg.

I think Jackson could do a job as the back up CB as he is now. Doidge to me is inferior to Shaw and should be warming the bench. I think Naismith is better than James, so may be worth keeping. The rest can go now. We have better in our own younger players.

I and a couple of other posters mentioned that 2-3 players were flagged as not good enough, he brought his own players in. Hopefully the recruitment team will take more control this time.

lyonhibs
05-11-2019, 09:25 AM
What’s the point in replies like that?

To highlight the inherent flippancy of statements like "the rest can just go"

If that's what folk want/expect to just "happen" then January may be full of disappointment

Mr Grieves
05-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Our recruitment has been poor the last 3 summer transfer windows suggesting Heckingbottom was only part of the problem.

Smartie
05-11-2019, 09:41 AM
Our recruitment has been poor the last 3 summer transfer windows suggesting Heckingbottom was only part of the problem.

In fairness, George Craig will also soon be leaving.

MrRobot
05-11-2019, 09:48 AM
I and a couple of other posters mentioned that 2-3 players were flagged as not good enough, he brought his own players in. Hopefully the recruitment team will take more control this time.

Which players do you know? Vela, Newell and Doidge?

MyJo
05-11-2019, 10:15 AM
I think we need to give these guys an opportunity under a new manager and system.

It's not just the new signings that have been poor under PH it's the entire squad, including players we know are capable of much better. That would suggest it is down to the tactics and style of play we have been stubbornly using all season.

Fresh start for everyone including guys like Vela and Newell who have disappointed so far. If it is down to them simply being poor players then they should be found out quick enough under a new manager who has no allegiance to them as "his signings".

Danderhall Hibs
05-11-2019, 10:23 AM

Aye basically every bad one was PH and every good one was the recruitment team - that’s the latest ITK stuff.

Presumably the infos being leaked from someone on the recruitment team who wants to show them in a positive light. Either that or it’s made up.

calumhibee1
05-11-2019, 10:34 AM
I think we need to give these guys an opportunity under a new manager and system.

It's not just the new signings that have been poor under PH it's the entire squad, including players we know are capable of much better. That would suggest it is down to the tactics and style of play we have been stubbornly using all season.

Fresh start for everyone including guys like Vela and Newell who have disappointed so far. If it is down to them simply being poor players then they should be found out quick enough under a new manager who has no allegiance to them as "his signings".

That’s the main reason I’d be willing to give them all a fresh start. Watching the likes of Stevenson, Hanlon and Allan struggle most of the season when we know they’re very decent players is enough to make me think that the others deserve a chance.

J-C
05-11-2019, 10:51 AM

I know nothing apart from what I was told from someone inside EM. Vela was known to them already due to Lennon being interested and also Doidge due to his scoring last season, but 2 maybe 3 were flagged up as being not good enough and too expensive.

Victor
05-11-2019, 10:56 AM
That’s the main reason I’d be willing to give them all a fresh start. Watching the likes of Stevenson, Hanlon and Allan struggle most of the season when we know they’re very decent players is enough to make me think that the others deserve a chance.

My take on it, particularly Stevenson. He has played nowhere near his potential this season. Hopefully a new manager can revive his confidence and inspire some of the recent signings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Onion
05-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Giving Hech's the sack and paying him off, is only the start, the players most want rid off will be well paid here and probably have no choice but to stay till their contracts run out!!!!

​OUCH!!!!!!

Expensive mistakes but doesn't mean we need or should play them. Most are a liability. They all should be told to find new clubs or languish in the stands for the rest of their time up here. There's enough of them to start their own sunday league team :wink:

theonlywayisup
05-11-2019, 11:10 AM
I feel the critical area is midfield. The midfield lack the defensive capability, with the result it puts undue stress on the defence. We then don't have the solid platform to be creative in the forward areas, hence our lone striker is fighting a losing battle.

All can change, if we've got the right blend in midfield.

Everyone is picking on Vela, rightly so, but Mallan is not what we need at this time. We need battlers, and he's not one of them.

The only two of the current midfield that I would play is Hallberg and Allan. We then need a John McGinn type player to provide a solid central midfield, with Boyle & Horgan as the wide players. I would then play Kamberi or Shaw as the striker before I would play Doidge. I would also prefer playing two strikers and sacrifice one of the wide players.

I actually think the defence would be okay with a more compact midfield.

I've not mentioned Newell, which is not a surprise. However, he could play the important timewaster role put on in the final few seconds to stop us losing the late goals.

Barman Stanton
05-11-2019, 11:16 AM
Aye basically every bad one was PH and every good one was the recruitment team - that’s the latest ITK stuff.

Presumably the infos being leaked from someone on the recruitment team who wants to show them in a positive light. Either that or it’s made up.

Do you do anything other than stick the boot into fellow Hibs fans?

Hibiza
05-11-2019, 12:06 PM
James should be taken to Edinburgh Airport to watch planes taking off and it explained to him that he should be more like the right hand engine - when its time to take off it doesnt move inside the passenger compartmentalize for me - IT STAYS OUT ON THE ****ING WING. brill.

Renfrew_Hibby
05-11-2019, 12:15 PM
I'm hoping that somehow we get shot of Vela, Newell and doidge in the January window.
Just write off our losses and free them, maybe work to tie up deals (frees obv.) for them down south but just get rid.

I'm Spartacus
05-11-2019, 12:17 PM

I really really hope so.

Hi Leanne, did you mean to post your private thoughts on here?!! :)

MrRobot
05-11-2019, 02:36 PM
I'm hoping that somehow we get shot of Vela, Newell and doidge in the January window.
Just write off our losses and free them, maybe work to tie up deals (frees obv.) for them down south but just get rid.

I'd wait to see how they perform under the new manager before deciding their future.

ancient hibee
05-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Expensive mistakes but doesn't mean we need or should play them. Most are a liability. They all should be told to find new clubs or languish in the stands for the rest of their time up here. There's enough of them to start their own sunday league team :wink:
I think they will be delighted to languish in the stands.I know I would in their shoes.

Onion
05-11-2019, 04:43 PM
I think they will be delighted to languish in the stands.I know I would in their shoes.

And so you should at your stage in life :greengrin

LNHibs
05-11-2019, 05:32 PM
Every other level being the 4th and 5th divisions in England plus the Welsh league, all vastly inferior to the Scottish Premiership.

I think he's got a decent workrate but I think he will struggle to ever reach double figures for goals scored at our level.

Louis Moult scored goals at that level he did well up here. Sam Cosgrove is one that had an extremely slow start to life up here after a pretty average early career but he turned a corner and has been superb. A goal scorer is a goal scorer imo he’s got himself into positions where he should be scoring albeit he hasn’t. I’d be a lot more worried if he had scored one goal and never created another chance apart from that

wookie70
05-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Vela is a mystery, 100 odd appearances and fans favourite at a Championship Club and hated by Hibs fans after 14 games. I suspect he is used to having a familiar place and fans who cut him some slack. Wrong place wrong time but we will probably be able to not lose too much as he will likely head down south. Jackson, Maxwell, Hallberg are all decent signings. James may come good. Doidge needs to gain about two yards of pace and look at a screen with a picture of a ball in a net for a few weeks to have any chance.

B.H.F.C
05-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Vela is a mystery, 100 odd appearances and fans favourite at a Championship Club and hated by Hibs fans after 14 games. I suspect he is used to having a familiar place and fans who cut him some slack. Wrong place wrong time but we will probably be able to not lose too much as he will likely head down south. Jackson, Maxwell, Hallberg are all decent signings. James may come good. Doidge needs to gain about two yards of pace and look at a screen with a picture of a ball in a net for a few weeks to have any chance.

The general feeling seems to be that Jackson is a decent signing. I don’t see it really. Indicative of the drop in quality IMO.

Hallberg is the only one mentioned there that has the potential to improve himself and us. The rest are just filling a space for a wee while, just like back in the Calderwood/Fenlon era.

K Kay
05-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Correct about the Swede, the rest are space fillers.

Smartie
05-11-2019, 07:14 PM
I've wondered about Jackson in midfield, he has a wee bit of the Matty Jack about him.

He can pass well for a CB and he can tackle. Frees Hallberg up to play a bit further forward.

Paisley Hibby
05-11-2019, 07:32 PM

I really really hope so.
Hopefully at least enough of a performance that we can sell them 😉

Unseen work
05-11-2019, 10:11 PM
My opinion is that the balance is completely off and it’s difficult to fully assess the players signed this summer because of it. My take however:

Maxwell - Good distribution, collects crosses well, commands his area and is quick off his line. Shot stopping seems average but I’d sign him end of season when he’s out of contract for completion/back up.

James - Technically very good and plays some excellent passes, crosses and has a good strike on him. However defensively he stands far too far off his man and looks scared that he will get done for pace. He should get tight up against them to stop them being able to turn and run at him. Only 23 but I think there is plenty potential there.

Naismith - Not had a real run of games but I was excited when we signed him and expected better. For County he was solid defensively and a real threat going forward, we have yet to see this.

Jackson - Solid enough, would probably start him ahead of Hanlon.

Hallberg - I want more from him but I think the position is holding him back. Keeps the ball well without doing anything exceptional. Think his main attributes would be box to box.

Vela - Big disappointment for me. He does try and press the game and put players under pressure but when we’re on the ball he’s nowhere to be seen. I think he’s unsure on where he is meant to be, I don’t know if this is a tactical issues he doesn’t understand from Hecky or he just doesn’t have that awareness.

Newell - Technically good but just too inconsistent at the moment. We need players who even if they’re not fully at it will work, make it difficult for the opposition and work their socks off.

Middleton - Another disappointment for me as I expected more. Think he is another that seems a bit confused and lost from our tactics. I hope the new manager plays him, Allan and Boyle behind the striker and gives them a real license to get at the opposition. He has quality on the ball and knows where the net is.

Doidge - Link up play is good and does some very intelligent lay offs and touches. But he’s a striker who doesn’t score right now, is it confidence? Maybe but we need better. What iv noticed from crosses Is he always seems in the back foot and is behind the defender. He needs to predict it more, get on the front foot and get across the centre half or if he’s not winning that duel, have the intelligence to play on the full back.

On a side note, it’s really easy to criticise the manager and his new signings. But, the players who have been here before have been performing way under the level expected. From Marciano, Hanlon, Stevenson and even Porto giving away cheap cheap goals with mistakes to the midfielders losing the midfield battle and dropping deep, inviting pressure from the opposition, to our forwards not scoring the few chances we create.

Its all if buts and maybes but some of the goals we have conceded and chances we have missed have been truly shocking and amateurish. Who knows where we would be if we sorted it out.

PH91
06-11-2019, 05:33 PM
My opinion is that the balance is completely off and it’s difficult to fully assess the players signed this summer because of it. My take however:

Maxwell - Good distribution, collects crosses well, commands his area and is quick off his line. Shot stopping seems average but I’d sign him end of season when he’s out of contract for completion/back up.

James - Technically very good and plays some excellent passes, crosses and has a good strike on him. However defensively he stands far too far off his man and looks scared that he will get done for pace. He should get tight up against them to stop them being able to turn and run at him. Only 23 but I think there is plenty potential there.

Naismith - Not had a real run of games but I was excited when we signed him and expected better. For County he was solid defensively and a real threat going forward, we have yet to see this.

Jackson - Solid enough, would probably start him ahead of Hanlon.

Hallberg - I want more from him but I think the position is holding him back. Keeps the ball well without doing anything exceptional. Think his main attributes would be box to box.

Vela - Big disappointment for me. He does try and press the game and put players under pressure but when we’re on the ball he’s nowhere to be seen. I think he’s unsure on where he is meant to be, I don’t know if this is a tactical issues he doesn’t understand from Hecky or he just doesn’t have that awareness.

Newell - Technically good but just too inconsistent at the moment. We need players who even if they’re not fully at it will work, make it difficult for the opposition and work their socks off.

Middleton - Another disappointment for me as I expected more. Think he is another that seems a bit confused and lost from our tactics. I hope the new manager plays him, Allan and Boyle behind the striker and gives them a real license to get at the opposition. He has quality on the ball and knows where the net is.

Doidge - Link up play is good and does some very intelligent lay offs and touches. But he’s a striker who doesn’t score right now, is it confidence? Maybe but we need better. What iv noticed from crosses Is he always seems in the back foot and is behind the defender. He needs to predict it more, get on the front foot and get across the centre half or if he’s not winning that duel, have the intelligence to play on the full back.

On a side note, it’s really easy to criticise the manager and his new signings. But, the players who have been here before have been performing way under the level expected. From Marciano, Hanlon, Stevenson and even Porto giving away cheap cheap goals with mistakes to the midfielders losing the midfield battle and dropping deep, inviting pressure from the opposition, to our forwards not scoring the few chances we create.

Its all if buts and maybes but some of the goals we have conceded and chances we have missed have been truly shocking and amateurish. Who knows where we would be if we sorted it out.

I think the team was being told to play a specific way and lost a bit of allowance to do what is natural to them. I'm willing to give every player a clean slate in order to see what they can do under a new manager.

R.e Vela I must be in a very small minority in thinking he has something to offer and agree with what you say above. I don't think he is a holding midfielder and is trying to learn how to play there.

If he can work on removing his tendency to pass sideways rather than forward or carrying the ball into space then he may start to put in more good performances like he did at Easter Road against Celtic. Of course, workrate has to also massively improve but that is not exclusive to him, the whole team needs to get the finger out.

Turkish Green
07-11-2019, 02:18 PM
The January window is not the best time to bring in players. The main job for a new manager is to get the team performing and get out of the relegation zone. There is still plenty of games left.

Hibeesmad
07-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Hecky's sacking should be a boot up the erse to all players. Hopefully a new manager coming in will be a motivation for them to step it up a gear.

hibby rae
07-11-2019, 03:13 PM
The January window is not the best time to bring in players. The main job for a new manager is to get the team performing and get out of the relegation zone. There is still plenty of games left.

I'm not sure that's true for Scotland. We've done pretty well in past January windows, certainly since 2016. From the top of my head I think Thompson, Flo, Allan, MacLaren, Efe, Omeonga and McNulty were all January signings.

For a club of our stature it's a great opportunity for us to snag players from a higher level.

Irish-Hibee
07-11-2019, 09:49 PM
Hallberg will do well for us. I actually think Doidge also has the capabilities to turn it around. Get's into positions but just cannot finish. With a bit of luck and run of goals he will come good.

Maxwell is also decent however not an improvement on on Marciano.

If Naismith can get a run he could do well also. Other than that I don't hold much hope for any of the rest.

BILLYHIBS
08-11-2019, 04:28 AM
I would keep Maxwell Jackson and Hallberg

:cb

FilipinoHibs
08-11-2019, 04:40 AM
Hallberg will do well for us. I actually think Doidge also has the capabilities to turn it around. Get's into positions but just cannot finish. With a bit of luck and run of goals he will come good.

Maxwell is also decent however not an improvement on on Marciano.

If Naismith can get a run he could do well also. Other than that I don't hold much hope for any of the rest.

The Dog had 17 games at Bolton in championship and scored once. Don't think he will ever come good at this level.

Brooster
08-11-2019, 05:53 AM
Maxwell and Middleton are the only 2 who look decent. Halberg has a chance but needs to do more. I thought James was ok until I realised he was out of his depth at Hampden, he can go with the rest.

Captain Trips
09-11-2019, 07:58 PM

I really really hope so.

Perhaps there is hope?

H18 SFR
09-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Perhaps there is hope?

Absolutely.

Lancs Harp
09-11-2019, 08:13 PM
There's always hope but we still need an injection of talent in January if we want to be where we want to be. Fantastic win today but lets not get too carried away, there's a lot of work to be done. Managed properly the current players probably are better than we have seen prior to today, but too many are a bit limited and one dimensional to say the least. But the side today looked far better balanced, had a much more positive attitude and to man all played their part. Its a start but I'm not getting carried away after one match against a pretty clueless St Johnstone we still need better players than we currently have.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Maxwell and Middleton are the only 2 who look decent. Halberg has a chance but needs to do more. I thought James was ok until I realised he was out of his depth at Hampden, he can go with the rest.

Middleton is probably the worst of them all. Offers nothing at all. Hopefully returns to the huns in January.

09-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Middleton is probably the worst of them all. Offers nothing at all. Hopefully returns to the huns in January.

A disgrace that we even signed that hun to be honest.

kevinc
10-11-2019, 08:09 PM

Bang on, myth will soon become fact.

Hibeesmad
11-11-2019, 10:08 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/hibs-ace-insists-criticism-great-summer-signings-lot-rubbish-920909

Article of Porteous talking about some of the new signings and their efforts in training. Interesting comment on how playing one up front wasn't working.

hughio
11-11-2019, 12:46 PM
I can't get over what happened in Perth.

Naismith was snarling and hammering into tackles.I never noticed him before.
Hallberg and Slivka gave strength to midfield.Newall revitalised

Two up front clearly worked.Doidge was great.Kamberi's best game in ages.

Scope and space for Scotty to operate.Hanlon and Stevenson back to normal.

Overall balance was right.
Players were fine as a unit.

How the hell did it take this long to find it?

Captain Trips
23-11-2019, 07:08 PM
So I still think this is totally key in our progression as we can't be having a mass clear out. It does appear that there are some players improving of late. Vital that they do.

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2019, 07:51 PM
Looking more like he does have an eye for a player, but just didn't know how to deploy and motivate them.

tamig
23-11-2019, 07:56 PM
Looking more like he does have an eye for a player, but just didn't know how to deploy and motivate them.

Exactly. Square pegs in round holes. Playing the players in their natural positions and having a formation to suit is all it takes.

J-C
23-11-2019, 08:01 PM

Of the players playing today, I'd say only Newell and Doidge were Heckingbotom signings, Vela not in the squad, James and Jackson on the bench, all the others Hallberg, Maxwell and Naismith I would say were Mathie signings. I must admit the tactics have held them back and it's good to see them playing with ore freedom.