03-11-2019, 08:02 PM
5 goals conceded yesterday.
Watched them back today and IMO the following are culpable:
Goal 1 Allan
Goal 2 Vela
Goal 3 Hard to blame any Hibs player
Goal 4 Maxwell
Goal 5 Allan

That's 1 sold by the goalkeeper, none by the defenders and 3 by the midfielders.
That confirms to me that the main defensive issues are in midfield.

What do you reckon?

Hibbyradge
03-11-2019, 08:04 PM
James let the boy stroll past him

PaulSmith
03-11-2019, 08:06 PM
Goal 3 - James but more so Maxwell, look at how close Eduard is to the goal when he squares it to McGregor.

B.H.F.C
03-11-2019, 08:07 PM
There are multiple mistakes in all the goals.

Take the first one for example, we could have still stopped it after they got the ball. Jackson fails to stop the cross and the boy is unmarked to head it in.

Celtic scored 5 goals and every one of them was from about 6 yards out with players unmarked.

Wouldn’t really criticise at the fifth goal as we had that many players forward at that point. Slivka put in a horrific cross which broke out to them and we had loads of players out the game.

Jones28
03-11-2019, 08:08 PM
I don’t think you can concede 5 goals and let the defence off.

BlackSheep
03-11-2019, 08:08 PM
I wouldn’t say strolled past him, but definitely didn’t make a full hearted challenge for it... whether he was scared to give a penalty away who knows but let’s not exaggerate the circumstances.

In summary James didn’t do well enough.

I also think Rocky would have done much better with most of the goals than Maxwell did.

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 08:09 PM
Goal 3 - James but more so Maxwell, look at how close Eduard is to the goal when he squares it to McGregor.

When i watched that one back i looked at blaming Jackson for the 3rd goal because he watches Edourd instead of moving forward by a meter which would block the sole path to the scorer but i decided that was asking a lot of him at match speed.

Hermit Crab
James let the boy stroll past him

While Mallan stood like a statue marking nobody and watched it all happen, he was 3 yards away.

Mainstandman
Goal 1 defenders all moved towards ball leaving Celtic player free header.
Goal 2 agree vela failed to follow mcgregor run
Goal 3 no challenge from James allowed free cross
Goal 4 maxwell yep caught on wrong side of player
Goal 5. Brown had to beat Hanlon, he did then Hanlon gave up and watched him go on to score

I may be wrong of course. It’s really difficult to see what formation or style of defending we do as a team.

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 08:11 PM
I don’t think you can concede 5 goals and let the defence off.

Watch the goals back and slow the approach work down and decide on the player(s) at fault.

Sir David Gray
03-11-2019, 08:12 PM
Goal 2 - Officials to blame as Edouard was offside.

Hermit Crab
03-11-2019, 08:12 PM
I wouldn’t say strolled past him, but definitely didn’t make a full hearted challenge for it... whether he was scared to give a penalty away who knows but let’s not exaggerate the circumstances.

In summary James didn’t do well enough.

I also think Rocky would have done much better with most of the goals than Maxwell did.

I think we would have conceded more with Rocky, he doesn't come out for crosses, Maxwell does.

hibeerealist
03-11-2019, 08:13 PM
E
Goal 5. Brown had to beat Hanlon, he did then Hanlon gave up and watched him go on to score

I may be wrong of course. It’s really difficult to see what formation or style of defending we do as a team.

Agree, much better assessment than the OP.

Brightside
03-11-2019, 08:20 PM
5 goals conceded yesterday.
Watched them back today and IMO the following are culpable:
Goal 1 Allan
Goal 2 Vela
Goal 3 Hard to blame any Hibs player
Goal 4 Maxwell
Goal 5 Allan

That's 1 sold by the goalkeeper, none by the defenders and 3 by the midfielders.
That confirms to me that the main defensive issues are in midfield.

What do you reckon?

Goal 2 was excellent defending. Just a shame we have poor linesmen

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 08:21 PM

Goal 2 good spot. Vela not switched on or working hard enough. Needs to match McGregor's run.
Goal 1 & 5 the damage is done before what you describe and both are down to Scott Allan.
Goal 3 my only criticism of James is that he isn't closer to Edouard when he receives the ball. That allows the Celtic to turn and straighten up. After that James has little chance and Eduards quality footwork does the rest.
Goal 4 Maxwell should have punched it. Not in a position to catch it over Julien who has the jump on him due to player traffic.

PH91
03-11-2019, 08:23 PM
While Mallan stood like a statue marking nobody and watched it all happen, he was 3 yards away.

What goal are you talking about?

I assumed Hibbyradge was talking about the 3rd and he is right in pointing out James' defending which was pathetic. Mallan was not at fault.

Hermit Crab
03-11-2019, 08:24 PM
What goal are you talking about?

I assumed Hibbyradge was talking about the 3rd and he is right in pointing out James' defending which was pathetic. Mallan was not at fault.

Mallan could have helped out for the 3rd, he stood and watched James struggle.

BlackSheep
03-11-2019, 08:27 PM
I think we would have conceded more with Rocky, he doesn't come out for crosses, Maxwell does.

That’s true about Rocky, but Maxwell didn’t exactly cover himself in glory in that area either yesterday nor when it came to the goals.

B.H.F.C
03-11-2019, 08:32 PM
Goal 1 & 5 the damage is done before what you describe and both are down to Scott Allan.
Goal 3 my only criticism of James is that he isn't closer to Edouard when he receives the ball. That allows the Celtic to turn and straighten up. After that James has little chance and Eduards quality footwork does the rest.

You can’t just ignore the things that went wrong from a defensive point of view, because you want to blame the midfield.

Allan obviously at fault for giving the ball away at the first but the damage wasn’t done at that point, they were 50 yards from goal and we still had opportunities to prevent it after that.

PH91
03-11-2019, 08:33 PM

Don't take my comment as defending mallans performance because i am not but there is no way he is at fault for that goal.

James needs to do much, much better. His attempt to defend the 1v1 is terrible.

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 08:33 PM

Goal 3 has nothing to do with Mallan. He has no chance of helping James once the linesman has missed the offside

Tyler Durden
03-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Goal 2 good spot. Vela not switched on or working hard enough. Needs to match McGregor's run.
Goal 4 Maxwell should have punched it. Not in a position to catch it over Julien who has the jump on him due to player traffic.

Goal 3 - your summary is a bit strange. Why does James have little chance? It’s a one vs one. He backs off and makes it easy for Edouard to get the ball under control. The only thing James does correctly is try to send him on the outside but as Edouard does so, there is a point where James needs to slide and block it. Instead he tries to shove Edouard.

It’s abysmal defending and nowhere near good enough. People pointed out from his first appearance that he’s too slow. He’s not aggressive enough either and his positioning is poor. Look at Celtic’s goal at Easter Road recently, he was also at fault there.

Another very poor signing

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 08:42 PM
You can’t just ignore the things that went wrong from a defensive point of view, because you want to blame the midfield.

Allan obviously at fault for giving the ball away at the first but the damage wasn’t done at that point, they were 50 yards from goal and we still had opportunities to prevent it after that.

The damage is done as soon as Allan makes an unforced error with his failed pass to Vela.
Every Hibs player is then out of position and everything after that is catch up. Against very good players it happens so quickly you are often done for.
Jackson almost managed to get the genie back in the bottle by blocking Forrests cross but couldn't quite get to Forrest.
Speed is the key of the counter attack.

Goal 1 down to Scott Allan

Hermit Crab
03-11-2019, 08:53 PM
Don't take my comment as defending mallans performance because i am not but there is no way he is at fault for that goal.

James needs to do much, much better. His attempt to defend the 1v1 is terrible.

I'm not blaming him, I thought he could have done better.

B.H.F.C
03-11-2019, 08:54 PM
The damage is done as soon as Allan makes an unforced error with his failed pass to Vela.
Every Hibs player is then out of position and everything after that is catch up. Against very good players it happens so quickly you are often done for.
Jackson almost managed to get the genie back in the bottle by blocking Forrests cross but couldn't quite get to Forrest.

Scott Allan was a contributing factor. It’s to simplistic to pick out that single thing when we still had opportunities to prevent it after it occurred. Unless you’re intent on pretending the defence aren’t part of the problem of course.

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Goal 3 - your summary is a bit strange. Why does James have little chance? It’s a one vs one. He backs off and makes it easy for Edouard to get the ball under control. The only thing James does correctly is try to send him on the outside but as Edouard does so, there is a point where James needs to slide and block it. Instead he tries to shove Edouard.

It’s abysmal defending and nowhere near good enough. People pointed out from his first appearance that he’s too slow. He’s not aggressive enough either and his positioning is poor. Look at Celtic’s goal at Easter Road recently, he was also at fault there.

Another very poor signing

Edouard has ripped the hole out of much better players than Tom James.
As soon as James was side on he was done for. The speed of Edouards feet after that is breathtaking.

Irish-Hibee
03-11-2019, 09:01 PM
As much as I want Hecky out, Part of me was thinking what is he supposed to do when the players are making such stupid mistakes! Another part of me thinks he brought in the players so he should take the blame if they are not good enough. Although he didn't bring in Hanlon who has been shocking

cabbageandribs1875
03-11-2019, 09:04 PM
james was responsible for two goals imo, twice sellick had players free down his side, he done the same v Livi the only difference was Livi players didn't look up and see they had so much space on the other flank

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 09:04 PM
Scott Allan was a contributing factor. It’s to simplistic to pick out that single thing when we still had opportunities to prevent it after it occurred. Unless you’re intent on pretending the defence aren’t part of the problem of course.

Watch the 1st goal back from just before Allan's failed pass. Stop it it to see where players are etc.
After Allan's mistake, Jackson is the only player who has a chance to stop the move and Forrest is slightly too quick for him.
Say what you see. No Allan mistake and there is no goal.

cabbageandribs1875
03-11-2019, 09:07 PM
i don't normally watch highlights even when we win :greengrin can i get a link please, bob

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2019, 09:07 PM
11 players could've done something better for every goal. Until everyone starts doing better the results won't improve.

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 09:08 PM
james was responsible for two goals imo, twice sellick had players free down his side, he done the same v Livi the only difference was Livi players didn't look up and see they had so much space on the other flank

What 2 goals?
How is he to blame?

B.H.F.C
03-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Watch the 1st goal back from just before Allan's failed pass. Stop it it to see where players are etc.
After Allan's mistake, Jackson is the only player who has a chance to stop the move and Forrest is slightly too quick for him.
Say what you see. No Allan mistake and there is no goal.

Obviously if Allan doesn’t lose the ball, we don’t lose the goal. But Jackson had the chance to stop the cross and didn’t. Same with James at the third goal. On each occasion we then left someone in the six yard box on their own.

Every time you lose a goal, you’re going to have given the ball away at some point. I’m not saying it wasn’t crap from Allan, just that it wasn’t the only factor in conceding.

cabbageandribs1875
03-11-2019, 09:12 PM
What 2 goals?
How is he to blame?

i'm thinking from memory, more than 24 hours have passed therefore i can't remember, well that and there were so many goals conceded, but i'm sure he was, if i can watch highlights of the goals i might(MIGHT) let him off with just the one error

but i DO remember the one where he was petrified to at least put a challenge in on eduard ?

wookie70
03-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Goal 2 - Officials to blame as Edouard was offside.

Vela should have tracked the run but I agree the main fault was the officials. The Maxwell error on the fourth was a foul against Jackson imo. His shirt was pulled and that allowed the free run to challenge the keeper.

I agree with the other posters who say there were multiple errors. James was certainly due some blame for a few of the goals but it was inability to track or pass on runners from midfielders that was the biggest issue imo. We actually had numbers back for all the goals but were way too passive or never knew who had responsibility. No way to know what instructions were but Heck really has to take a share of the blame for the way we were cut open.

wookie70
03-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Obviously if Allan doesn’t lose the ball, we don’t lose the goal. But Jackson had the chance to stop the cross and didn’t. Same with James at the third goal. On each occasion we then left someone in the six yard box on their own.

Every time you lose a goal, you’re going to have given the ball away at some point. I’m not saying it wasn’t crap from Allan, just that it wasn’t the only factor in conceding.

Passes go astray but I am more concerned by Allan's reaction to that pass for the first. Early in the game and he had already given the ball away a few times and he stood still on the half way line. He needs to show a bit more when he gives the ball away.

we are hibs
03-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Vela was shocking at the first goal. Not a great pass but as usual vela was on his heels

Hibbyradge
03-11-2019, 09:42 PM

You describe it anyway you want.

He made virtually no attempt to stop the Celtic player. It was pathetic, like James wasn't there.

My view is that, in a football sense, he strolled past him.

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 09:51 PM
Passes go astray but I am more concerned by Allan's reaction to that pass for the first. Early in the game and he had already given the ball away a few times and he stood still on the half way line. He needs to show a bit more when he gives the ball away.

If you think that is bad watch Allan at goal 5.
The ball is cleared out of their box by a Celtic player and it reaches Elyounoussi with Hallberg nearby. There are only 2 Hibs players behind Allan but he sells the jerseys by wandering forward towards the Celtic player when he should leave it to Hallberg and as a result is taken out the game and Celtic break 4 on 2 which quickly becomes 5 on 3 and Brown scores. Some folk had the cheek to blame Hanlon. Very poor game management by Allan.

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 10:14 PM

The problem is when you lose the ball like goal 1, when Allans teammates were not expecting him to lose it.
As Allan makes the pass Stevenson is breaking ahead on the left and James is about to break on the right. The Celtic players immediately press forward at speed and the Hibs defensive players frantically try to get back into position and cover but such is the speed of the Celtic break that they never ever quite get there. Result is a goal.
Doesn't happen against the smaller teams but it does against Celtic.

wookie70
03-11-2019, 10:17 PM
If you think that is bad watch Allan at goal 5.
The ball is cleared out of their box by a Celtic player and it reaches Elyounoussi with Hallberg nearby. There are only 2 Hibs players behind Allan but he sells the jerseys by wandering forward towards the Celtic player when he should leave it to Hallberg and as a result is taken out the game and Celtic break 4 on 2 which quickly becomes 5 on 3 and Brown scores. Some folk had the cheek to blame Hanlon. Very poor game management by Allan.
I watched it again after my post and came to the same conclusion. Given the timing though it was understandable to gamble even if he misread the situation and I put the 5th down to us going for it. Allan is by far our least effective player when we don't have the ball. However, he is our most effective on the ball and should start. We just can't have him Mallan and Horgan and sometimes Newell in the same team. Add Doidge into that too as he does he haw to close down defenders.

hibeerealist
03-11-2019, 10:19 PM

Allan’s pass was not the best but Vela made no move towards the ball he waited on it reaching him and the Celtic player took the ball as he did NOT wait on the ball reaching anybody. For me Vela culpable

B.H.F.C
03-11-2019, 10:20 PM
The problem is when you lose the ball like goal 1, when Allans teammates were not expecting him to lose it.
As Allan makes the pass Stevenson is breaking ahead on the left and James is about to break on the right. The Celtic players immediately press forward at speed and the Hibs defensive players frantically try to get back into position and cover but such is the speed of the Celtic break that they never ever quite get there. Result is a goal.
Doesn't happen against the smaller teams but it does against Celtic.

Again, I’m no saying Allan wasn’t culpable. But you can’t just refuse to accept that the boys behind him weren’t at fault at all. Like with the third goal, we actually did all right to slow them up, but still proceeded to let them put the ball across goal. Couple that with Elyounoussi then being left standing on his own so close to goal, then they haven’t done as much as they could have to keep the ball out the net.

It’s obviously clinical from Celtic. But you can’t chuck goals in like we do without the defence being part of the problem.

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 10:22 PM
I watched it again after my post and came to the same conclusion. Given the timing though it was understandable to gamble even if he misread the situation and I put the 5th down to us going for it. Allan is by far our least effective player when we don't have the ball. However, he is our most effective on the ball and should start. We just can't have him Mallan and Horgan and sometimes Newell in the same team. Add Doidge into that too as he does he haw to close down defenders.

We were right to go for it and when the goal was scored I put it down to that. 4-2 or 5-2 makes little difference.

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 10:28 PM
Allan’s pass was not the best but Vela made no move towards the ball he waited on it reaching him and the Celtic player took the ball as he did NOT wait on the ball reaching anybody. For me Vela culpable

Vela is a pants athlete so the pass should have been to his feet.
He should have at least managed to touch it away with his toe but he is how you say .............. a divvy.

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 10:34 PM
Again, I’m no saying Allan wasn’t culpable. But you can’t just refuse to accept that the boys behind him weren’t at fault at all. Like with the third goal, we actually did all right to slow them up, but still proceeded to let them put the ball across goal. Couple that with Elyounoussi then being left standing on his own so close to goal, then they haven’t done as much as they could have to keep the ball out the net.

It’s obviously clinical from Celtic. But you can’t chuck goals in like we do without the defence being part of the problem.

With the 3rd goal Jackson was the only player that could have stopped the ball getting to Elyounoussi but he became transfixed watching Edouard and James. Another yard towards his goal and he blocks it coming across but it happens at such speed you can forgive him.

Good discussion but i am off to do something more productive.

P.S. it would be good to have this chat with the players or Hecky for the way they see it.

B.H.F.C
03-11-2019, 10:36 PM
With the 3rd goal Jackson was the only player that could have stopped the ball getting to Elyounoussi but he became transfixed watching Edouard and James. Another yard towards his goal and he blocks it coming across but it happens at such speed you can forgive him.

Naw, James has to stop Eduard.

Ozyhibby
03-11-2019, 10:36 PM
No point worrying about the players while the board are willing to just coast along hoping things pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
03-11-2019, 10:39 PM
Naw, James has to stop Eduard.

Turns side on and is toast after that.
Edouard too good for him.

B.H.F.C
03-11-2019, 10:42 PM
Turns side on and is toast after that.
Edouard too good for him.

Just because Édouard is good, doesn’t mean he’s no to blame. Number one job of a full back is to stop balls coming in to the box. I know he was already in the box, so in this case his job was to stop it getting squared to someone for a tap in. He didn’t manage to do that.

MacGruber
04-11-2019, 07:53 AM
Allan to blame for 1st. Passing to Josh Vela - that was the mistake right there.

Potty78
04-11-2019, 08:18 AM

Why James goes to push the striker with two hands was a strange thing to do, put a foot in?

Since90+2
04-11-2019, 08:21 AM
James has a very strange running style , it's like he only ever runs at 50% capacity.

Dav1986
04-11-2019, 09:09 AM
I feel that Vela could have cut out the pass to Edouard aswell for the 3rd. It looked so close to him that he could have flicked a foot out at it and changed the path of the ball. Whether they would still have scored anyway, who knows, but looked like he could have got it.

GreenOnions
04-11-2019, 09:18 AM
One of the most striking things for me when watching Hibs this season is how disorganised our team looks with players being pulled out of position all the time and large gaps appearing all over the place. When we lose possession that gives us a problem continually.

I thought this was the case against Celtic and so was possibly one of the main issues.

First goal = five Hibs defenders/midfielders drawn to front post while three Celtic attackers are at the back.

Second goal = El-Younoussi and Edouard swap positions on the right before the ball is played - again too may defenders have drifted over to the left where there is only one Celtic player. I actually think Jackson should have been aware of what was happening behind him and dropped off to mark Edouard. Perhaps James should have given him a shout to do so?

Third Goal = at the start of the Celtic move all four of our defenders are positioned on the left side of the pitch - leaving Edouard in acres of space to receive the ball comfortably.

JimBHibees
04-11-2019, 09:37 AM
James was horrific for the third goal. Second clearly offside. 4th at the other end is probably a foul but don't think it is. Midfield never track runners and cant tackle. Our most physical midfielder who actually played well bottles a 50/50 with Brown, which just about summed it up.

brog
04-11-2019, 12:33 PM
1. Dreadful pass by Scotty but Vela should at least get to the ball.
2. No blame attached, Edouard is clearly offside & our defence are moving up the pitch to get that decision. McGregor is going forward, our defenders are turning back.
3. James is definitely culpable. That's not to exonerate what went before but his (non) attempt at a tackle is awful.
4. Maxwell 100% ( & I'm a fan ).
5. I find it hard to criticise too much here. We've pushed forward to try & salvage something & have come close on a couple of occasions. 1 flick takes 2 midfield players out & leaves Celtc with a 5 on 3.

A thought re Tom James. I attended the St Mirren game (seems years ago) with a Hibs legend & his brother. In the 1st half the St M winger blew past James from a standing start. The 3 of us looked at each other & grimaced. We all thought the same then, a full back with no pace is a potential liability. I do think there's a decent player there though. His touch is good & his delivery (I think it was his cross for Flo's goal) is excellent. We have good cover at RB now, I would put James in Vela's position for Saturday. His lack of pace would not be exposed & he can potentially produce something from deep. Put it this way, he can't be worse than Vela!

Cataplana
04-11-2019, 12:36 PM

IIRC correctly, James had been further up the pitch than Mallan in the lead up. He was running back from a position he shouldn't have been in, unless Mallan was supposed to cover his run forward.

Or that night have been just before the goal.

WeeRussell
04-11-2019, 01:05 PM
One part that stood out for me was the pitiful attempt from James for their third.

Half-hearted shove on Edouard and then just gave him a free reign to square an easy ball into the box, rather than defending properly and keeping his body goal side/in a position to block any shots or crosses.

1875M
04-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Just me who thinks Marciano saves the first?

Weegreenman
04-11-2019, 01:42 PM
I can’t believe that our Captain continues to escape criticism. He’s been very poor for a long time now. I think his time is up. He’s definitely one of the reasons why we are so soft. However not having the right balance in midfield doesn’t help.

PH91
04-11-2019, 02:30 PM
Just me who thinks Marciano saves the first?

Nope, i think that too but that's because of Marciano's outstanding shot stopping abilities rather than any mistake by Maxwell.

It's been well covered that Marciano's strength is his shot stopping whereas Maxwell's is his command. Decision to play Maxwell backfired a little given the first and fourth goals imo.

brog
04-11-2019, 02:52 PM
I can’t believe that our Captain continues to escape criticism. He’s been very poor for a long time now. I think his time is up. He’s definitely one of the reasons why we are so soft. However not having the right balance in midfield doesn’t help.

There's hundreds of negative comments 're our Captain on this Board. Thank goodness he's escaping criticism.

jax67
04-11-2019, 02:58 PM

This! James has the not so pleasant experience of having Mallan on his side of the park.