PDA

View Full Version : I Have Forgiven Heckingbottom

Speedway
03-11-2019, 10:43 AM
After yesterday, there is no more ire due towards the manager IMO. He’s simply not very good at his job. All he is doing with us, is what he did to Barnsley and what he was starting to do with Leeds before they sussed him.

Our board have clearly agreed a strategy of long term incremental growth building a squad on expensive long term contacts, sanctioned by our new owner, in an attempt to put an end to boom and bust.

It hasn’t worked and the board are now trying their best not to push the panic button. If they do push the button, we will know that the expensive process of rebuilding will have been outweighed by loss of income from the fan base and sponsors.

While he remains in post, it remains the board’s view that it’s more expensive to start again than to see if he can turn it around.

Meanwhile Heckingbottom and his chicken hearted duds aren’t trying to damage us, they’re simply not up to the task in hand.

The manager won’t resign and will wait for his payoff. The board will take draws and the odd win rather than pay him off and Mathie will be given the wheel for January recruitment.

My gaze is now locked on LD, who is either incompetent or gagged (I suspect the latter) and the new owner who I expect won’t want to throw good money after bad by sacking a man he just sanctioned spending the clubs’ ‘biggest ever budget’ on.

It’s not about football now, it’s about business.

I don’t blame Heckingbottom for anything other than not being good enough at this or it would seem, any level, that he’s managed at.

I certainly will trust my own gut and experience of this club going forward and not defer to anyone within it ‘knowing what’s best’ for Hibs.

MrSmith
03-11-2019, 10:47 AM
After yesterday, there is no more ire due towards the manager IMO. He’s simply not very good at his job. All he is doing with us, is what he did to Barnsley and what he was starting to do with Leeds before they sussed him.

Our board have clearly agreed a strategy of long term incremental growth building a squad on expensive long term contacts, sanctioned by our new owner, in an attempt to put an end to boom and bust.

It hasn’t worked and the board are now trying their best not to push the panic button. If they do push the button, we will know that the expensive process of rebuilding will have been outweighed by loss of income from the fan base and sponsors.

While he remains in post, it remains the board’s view that it’s more expensive to start again than to see if he can turn it around.

Meanwhile Heckingbottom and his chicken hearted duds aren’t trying to damage us, they’re simply not up to the task in hand.

The manager won’t resign and will wait for his payoff. The board will take draws and the odd win rather than pay him off and Mathie will be given the wheel for January recruitment.

My gaze is now locked on LD, who is either incompetent or gagged (I suspect the latter) and the new owner who I expect won’t want to throw good money after bad by sacking a man he just sanctioned spending the clubs’ ‘biggest ever budget’ on.

I don’t blame Heckingbottom for anything other than not being good enough at this or it would seem, any level, that he’s managed at.

I certainly will trust my own gut and experience of this club going forward and not defer to anyone within it ‘knowing what’s best’ for Hibs.

It would appear we have come full circle, again. :(

greenginger
03-11-2019, 10:48 AM

Was a lot of the recruitment not done well before Ron Gordon got control ?

Pagan Hibernia
03-11-2019, 10:50 AM
Did he not do alright at Barnsley?

the tornadoe
03-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Could be a lot of truth there but equally I don't think the board can realistically wait much longer. Personally think he will be given the game away on Saturday to see if there is a positive reaction to the last few weeks performances. If we play from the start the way we did in spells yesterday then I think that would make everyone associated with the club a lot happier.... not winning but showing fight and effort would appease the fans a while but at ghe end of the day points are required and fairly quickly starting on Saturday.

Cataplana
03-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Is it possible Ron has been involved for longer than we think. Its clear he was around the club for some time before the deal was done, is it possible he was setting conditions about who would be manager, and possibly who we would buy players from?

Speedway
03-11-2019, 11:14 AM

At the press conference announcing Ron’s arrival, Rod said, and I paraphrase, ‘We are grateful to Ron for making our early recruitment plans possible’.

Speedway
03-11-2019, 11:15 AM

Not according to the Barnsley fan consensus.

Crab apple
03-11-2019, 11:21 AM

I’d say you’re pretty much on the money with this post. I’m no longer angry with PH. He’s just not a good manager and in retrospect shouldn’t have been appointed. The failure now is with our CEO/Board in failing to dispense with his services.

J-C
03-11-2019, 01:01 PM

He did ok with the previous managers squad and when he got the job and his own players they were brutal.

Moulin Yarns
03-11-2019, 01:08 PM
He did ok with the previous managers squad and when he got the job and his own players they were brutal.

Had 2 conversations today, a rangers and a Hamilton supporter and both think he underestimated the Scottish game and brought in players that are not good enough.

As you say, did a decent job with the players at his disposal last season but the team is weaker than last season.

HibeeHibernian4
03-11-2019, 01:22 PM

He did more than alright at Barnsley. I don't understand where this revisionism has come from.

He's unpopular with Barnsley fans because he upped sticks and left for Leeds.

Took Barnsley from 12th in February to 6th and up through the play-offs by the end of May. Also won the EFL Trophy for good measure.

A respectable midtable season in the Championship followed, then he left Barnsley hovering above the relegation zone for Leeds.

All in all, he did a very good job at Barnsley.

Northernhibee
03-11-2019, 01:36 PM
He did more than alright at Barnsley. I don't understand where this revisionism has come from.

Took Barnsley from 12th in February to 6th and up through the play-offs by the end of May. Also won the EFL Trophy for good measure.

A respectable midtable season in the Championship followed, then he left Barnsley hovering above the relegation zone for Leeds.

Yep, bang on.

I’m in a position now where I feel sympathy for him.

scuttle
03-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Yep, bang on.

I’m in a position now where I feel sympathy for him.

Me too, but I think his stubbornness in refusing to play two up front will ultimately cost him his job

The 90+2
03-11-2019, 01:50 PM
I just wish he cared about his Hibs contract as much as he did about his freshly signed new Barnsley one.

J-C
03-11-2019, 02:03 PM

Caretaker at Barnsley with other managers players P 25 W 16 D 5 L 4 65.15% This is the EFL Trophy you speak about and promotion.

Manager in his own right with his own players P 83 W 23 D 23 L 34 27.71%

Brutal stats at Barnsley when he took over himself. his respectable midtable as you put it had them in 14th P46 W 15 D 13 L 18

Onion
03-11-2019, 02:37 PM
All good and well Ron taking a long view, for steady progress rather than boom / bust however that must be underpinned by a budget. Heckingbottom guarantees 3-5000 less season tickets next season and possible relegation, so hope he enjoys spending his own money.

HibeeHibernian4
03-11-2019, 02:42 PM
Caretaker at Barnsley with other managers players P 25 W 16 D 5 L 4 65.15% This is the EFL Trophy you speak about and promotion.

Brutal stats at Barnsley when he took over himself. his respectable midtable as you put it had them in 14th P46 W 15 D 13 L 18

That takes absolutely all context away. He moved up a league into the Championship? Obviously the win percentage was going to be worse than in League One?

As I've said, when he took over, these "other managers players" were sitting twelfth in the league. Heckingbottom took them to 6th and got promotion in the space of three months.

He's not a good manager at Hibs and I want him gone. Why do you have to lie about his time at Barnsley to justify it? :confused:

Speedway
03-11-2019, 02:45 PM
That takes absolutely all context away. He moved up a league into the Championship? Obviously the win percentage was going to be worse than in League One?

As I've said, when he took over, these "other managers players" were sitting twelfth in the league. Heckingbottom took them to 6th and got promotion in the space of three months.

He's not a good manager at Hibs and I want him gone. Why do you have to lie about his time at Barnsley to justify it? :confused:

Where's the lie?

When he stepped up with his own players, he was gantin'.

Same at Hibs.

J-C
03-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Wheres the lie?

He did well with someone else's players like he did here, once he got his own players in he was pish, just like here. I cant believe we still have people on here trying to big him up and are still trying to back him.

03-11-2019, 02:52 PM
I just wish he cared about his Hibs contract as much as he did about his freshly signed new Barnsley one.

?

mcfly
03-11-2019, 02:55 PM

The board will act before the AGM

I would reckon not 1 half season ticket will be sold under Heckingbottom .

Also they will not give him any money in jan judging by how he’s wasted the money in the summer.

He won’t turn this around. The players have zero confidence- they can’t buy a win and it’s for the best if he leaves ASAP

Fans anger is only gonna get worse. I mean is there anyone out there who wants him to stay? How many fans will renew early if he is still here next season ?

Captain Trips
03-11-2019, 02:56 PM
I have forgiven him so much so I want to offer my help.

https://www.monster.co.uk/career-advice/article/standard-resignation-letter-uk

Speedway
03-11-2019, 02:57 PM
The board will act before the AGM

I would reckon not 1 half season ticket will be sold under Heckingbottom .

Also they will not give him any money in jan judging by how he’s wasted the money in the summer.

He won’t turn this around. The players have zero confidence- they can’t buy a win and it’s for the best if he leaves ASAP

Fans anger is only gonna get worse. I mean is there anyone out there who wants him to stay? How many fans will renew early if he is still here next season ?

When's the AGM? No date set as of last week.

HibeeHibernian4
03-11-2019, 03:33 PM
Wheres the lie?

He did well with someone else's players like he did here, once he got his own players in he was pish, just like here. I cant believe we still have people on here trying to big him up and are still trying to back him.

I'm not trying to big him up or back him, he needs to leave.

I'm asking you why you're trying to paint him time at Barnsley as one of failure - it clearly wasn't?

The players he inherited weren't doing well, and he immediately took them from 12th to 6th. He was good enough to earn the attention of a massive club like Leeds because of his time at Barnsley. You are being utterly disingenuous, stop lying.

J-C
03-11-2019, 04:54 PM

I'm asking you why you're trying to paint him time at Barnsley as one of failure - it clearly wasn't?

The players he inherited weren't doing well, and he immediately took them from 12th to 6th. He was good enough to earn the attention of a massive club like Leeds because of his time at Barnsley. You are being utterly disingenuous, stop lying.

Hibs players under Lennon not doing well, he progressed them, the same happened at Barnsley. He builds his own squad there and here and both sides struggle, where is the lie? Are you 12 years old?

Maybe have a look at his Wiki page which gives all his stats, I'll state again, his win ratio was 27.71% with his own squad at Barnsley, look for yourself, they sat 21st in the league when he left. This is the last time I expect you to accuse me of lying, the next time you will be reported.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Heckingbottom

The 90+2
03-11-2019, 05:00 PM

The players he inherited when he became manager had just won six games in a row, Lee Johnson got manager of the month for January and they had just made the JPT final.

How on earth wasn’t that “doing well”?

The 90+2
03-11-2019, 05:01 PM
?

He couldn’t care less about his Barnsley contract when he Judas’d His boyhood club.

FilipinoHibs
03-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Hibs players under Lennon not doing well, he progressed them, the same happened at Barnsley. He builds his own squad there and here and both sides struggle, where is the lie? Are you 12 years old?

Maybe have a look at his Wiki page which gives all his stats, I'll state again, his win ratio was 27.71% with his own squad at Barnsley, look for yourself. This is the last time I expect you to accuse me of lying, the next time you will be reported.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Heckingbottom

Big difference is he went up a league in standard. Why his win ratio fell but more than held his own. Here he has stayed in the same league and performance has dropped off a cliff with his own players.

J-C
03-11-2019, 05:18 PM
Big difference is he went up a league in standard. Why his win ratio fell but more than held his own. Here he has stayed in the same league and performance has dropped off a cliff with his own players.

He left them sitting 21st when he left, not really holding his own, they got relegated soon after.

basehibby
03-11-2019, 06:23 PM

If you want to be fair and objective you have to also allow that the Championship is a much tougher league than League 1 with plenty of clubs of similar or greater stature to Barnsley - which renders your "brutal" assessment a bit harsh. But it seems to me that Heckingbottom must have known those leagues very well having played his entire career in them - and that seems to have been the main problem at Hibs - he has woefully underestimated the challenge and the quality of player required to keep a club like Hibs competing regularly at the top end and as a result has taken us backwards very quickly through what are largely his own recruitment choices.

The board appear to be pinning their hopes on him somehow getting more out of the side we've got going forward than he has thus far. I have seen little to suggest that's going to happen because, as the OP has suggested, he just doesn't seem to be all that good. I continue to watch fixture after fixture roll by hoping to be proven wrong and that owing to some slow-burning football coaching qualities we suddenly become a side capable of winning football matches again - how many more points do we drop against relegation fodder before the board decide enough is enough?

SMAXXA
03-11-2019, 07:37 PM
He couldn’t care less about his Barnsley contract when he Judas’d His boyhood club.

I’d did he sign it to get his boyhood club more money from a few perspective