PDA

View Full Version : I’m disengaged

hibee1875
03-11-2019, 12:52 AM
That’s the problem the board need to solve. A disengaged fan base.

Now I won’t call myself an ‘Uber fan’, I don’t go to away games but I’ve been going regularly since I was 6, I’m now 31, and I’d say in that time at least 20 (if not more) of those years I’ve been a season ticket holder (I lost a few years when I was a student in Glasgow).

I was there tonight. I celebrated the first goal with a first pump but that’s it. I can’t remember the last time I properly celebrated a goal besides mallans in the derby.

I don’t watch the highlights of away games. I’ve almost accepted that away games will not result in a win.

I have no connection with any current Hibs player. I wish McGinn well at Villa more than I do any Hibs player at current.

I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels this way, but what are the board going to do? The big screens gave us a flash of leeans face tonight at 2-0, and she was feeling the same as us. It’s utterly ***** at the moment and I fear we’ve regressed to the mean. We’ve had our purple patch and now we’re in-line for another year of mediocrity.

heid the baw
03-11-2019, 01:29 AM
It's called growing up.
Hibs have been mediocre since the early 70s. The Scottish game is going backward and the disconnect covers tens of thousands of fans from many clubs.

Fife-Hibee
03-11-2019, 01:43 AM
It's called growing up.
Hibs have been mediocre since the early 70s. The Scottish game is going backward and the disconnect covers tens of thousands of fans from many clubs.

I guarantee you that fans of Livingston, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Ross County and Aberdeen don't think the Scottish game is going backwards this season, or that they feel any sense of disconnect.

Hibs have no right to be mediocre. Never mind worse than mediocre which we are more often than not these days.

FilipinoHibs
03-11-2019, 05:34 AM
It's called growing up.
Surely you mean the late seventies. But lots of good since then. Weir, Collins, Kane, Durie. The League cup team of 91 and 93. Sauzee, Latapy etc. The golden generation under Mowbary. 2016 and all that. Second half of 1st season back in top flight with Lennon. Lots of highs. There will be more to come.

confused
03-11-2019, 05:48 AM
I truly hope the good times return , I’m 70 yrs old and 66 since I first went to Easter road , in all theseyrsi haven’t seen many totally poor players on the field at one time .

HibeeHibernian4
03-11-2019, 05:49 AM
I guarantee you that fans of Livingston, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Ross County and Aberdeen don't think the Scottish game is going backwards this season, or that they feel any sense of disconnect.

Hibs have no right to be mediocre. Never mind worse than mediocre which we are more often than not these days.

Aberdeen fans absolutely do. Kilmarnock fans, compared to where they were under Clarke, likewise.

Unseen work
03-11-2019, 06:39 AM
This is kind of where I’m at.

Before we had guys like Lennon, McGinn, Mcgeouch, Cummings, Ambrose, Henderson who although all had their flaws, had infectious personalities, energy, a will to win and understood the club.

There was a real buzz and a game against the Old Firm was one to look forward to, a chance for the players to showcase their talents and show they can compete with the best in the country.

Now there just seems no confidence, no swagger, nothing. The current mentality seems to be ah draws are good enough and as long as we keep the scores low against the Old Firm, which they’ve failed miserably at.

Fans are are frustrated after years of trying to get the club where it belongs we’ve sunk so low again and undone all the hard work. They’re frustrated the board aren’t listening to our moans and seem oblivious to how bad a situation were actually in.

It really really needs to change.

hibby rae
03-11-2019, 07:51 AM
Aberdeen fans absolutely do. Kilmarnock fans, compared to where they were under Clarke, likewise.

Don't think I would agree with that regarding Killie fans. Aside from Europe they are pretty happy. Craig Anderson from the Terrace podcast (Killie fan) predicts they will be fighting for third again.

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Disengaged or not happy cos we’re not winning?

I think it’s just a word that’s getting thrown around to exaggerate the feeling and give a reason for not supporting the team.

Discuss...

hibee1875
03-11-2019, 08:51 AM

I think it’s just a word that’s getting thrown around to exaggerate the feeling and give a reason for not supporting the team.

Discuss...

Can you not be both?

Even if we’d beat Ross County and Livingston I’d still say I was disengaged. I don’t watch any pre or post match press conferences as I don’t care what any of them have to say.

The football is boring and there’s not one character in the team at the moment.

jeffers
03-11-2019, 08:54 AM

Discuss...

It's not because we aren't winning for me, it's where we are given the good state of the off field affairs. We have no right to be up at the top of the table, but we should be in a far better position than we are. I don't feel any sense of attachment to any of Heckingbottom's players, none of the seem to "get Hibs" in the way that players like SJM and Fontaine did. It just seems like a job to them, one they are doing badly and getting well paid for.

Add to that heehaw communication from the people in charge, a new owner I still don't know why he bought the club and his plans for the future, so I'd say disengaged is a good word to describe things.

Craig_in_Prague
03-11-2019, 08:54 AM
Can you not be both?

Even if we’d beat Ross County and Livingston I’d still say I was disengaged. I don’t watch any pre or post match press conferences as I don’t care what any of them have to say.

The football is boring and there’s not one character in the team at the moment.

Feel the same, kind of numb.

As I live abroad, Hibs TV was my saviour. But I finished with it, as I cant and dont want to watch Hibs under PH.
Under lennon and stubbs I travelled back for several home games a season, now I cant put the TV on.

I honestly though this joker would be sacked after the Hearts game. Jeezus.

jacomo
03-11-2019, 08:56 AM

Discuss...

You seem to be taking this too personally.

You might still think Heckingbottom is a good coach and all will be fine eventually but surely even you must realise that most of us disagree with you.

Pretty Boy
03-11-2019, 09:01 AM
We have a team that is hard to engage with because we don't have a clue who half of them are.

That's not a dig at where they came from but what introduction was there to the likes of Doidge, Newell, Jackson, Vela etc? When guys like Fontaine and Bartley pitched up from the lower leagues in England they were regulars on HibsTV and our social media output from the outset. They were enthusiastic, infectious and you couldn't not like them. Fontaine in particular had a rocky start but he was given a bit of time because we knew what he was about. I couldn't even tell you what accent the new players named above have because I've heard nothing from them. It's way too late now because any output showing them having a good time or messing about would be jumped all over. I'm like a broken record about this but it's just something else that has slipped at Hibs. Interaction with the squad and getting to know different personalities goes a long way to building a rapport between fans and players. I don't feel that at the moment; it's just a few guys running about in Hibs strips who will be running about in another teams kit this time next year.

The Modfather
03-11-2019, 09:01 AM

Discuss...

Have a read of One Day Soon’s excellent post on the “Forgotten What It’s Like To Be A Hibee” thread. You could maybe de-construct his excellent summary of the malaise and disengagement in the support as to how it’s actually just because we’re not winning.

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?342956-Some-amongst-us-have-forgotten-what-it%92s-like-to-be-a-Hibby/page2

mcfly
03-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Hibs board need to show real leadership NOW.

The fans are disillusioned and have no idea of the new owners plans for the future. Results are awful, signings worse,

What happened to “”time for heroes”” ??

Sinking ship is what we are - leaderless , rudderless and clueless.

Recent decisions have been a disaster.

Moving singing section to way up in FF upper.
Forcing season ticket holders out the FF lower.
Appointing Heckingbottom
Letting him sign utter dross

So sad what has happened in such a short space of time.

I say to the board act now and save the season or you will have a very hard sell in season tickets next year.

7500 at hampden. That’s 5-6k season ticket holders not going - very worrying if they choose not to renew

scooby
03-11-2019, 09:11 AM
Definitely DISENGAGED - We are on a dreadful run of results, playing boring football with a squad topped up with poor quality summer signings at a significant cost.
The silence from the board and our new owner has been deafening, no acknowledgement of our current situation and no rallying cry to the fans with a plan of where we're going.

flash
03-11-2019, 09:13 AM

Before we had guys like Lennon, McGinn, Mcgeouch, Cummings, Ambrose, Henderson who although all had their flaws, had infectious personalities, energy, a will to win and understood the club.

There was a real buzz and a game against the Old Firm was one to look forward to, a chance for the players to showcase their talents and show they can compete with the best in the country.

Now there just seems no confidence, no swagger, nothing. The current mentality seems to be ah draws are good enough and as long as we keep the scores low against the Old Firm, which they’ve failed miserably at.

Fans are are frustrated after years of trying to get the club where it belongs we’ve sunk so low again and undone all the hard work. They’re frustrated the board aren’t listening to our moans and seem oblivious to how bad a situation were actually in.

I reckon that covers it perfectly.

bigwheel
03-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Best post on here for a long time [emoji119][emoji108]

flash
03-11-2019, 09:17 AM

Discuss...
I think it's gone beyond that now. I was there yesterday but I have lost the feeling of being part of things I had when we won the cup then got promoted.
This is a dangerous time for the club and the people in power badly need to get the next few decisions right, starting with a change of manager and some reassurances from our new owner that he has the same ideals and beliefs that we do.

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 09:27 AM
You seem to be taking this too personally.

You might still think Heckingbottom is a good coach and all will be fine eventually but surely even you must realise that most of us disagree with you.

I’m not taking it personally and didn’t mention Heckingottom? I think it’s clear to everyone his time is up.

Just think we’ve gathered a number of drama queens that seem to be going through the terrible twos just now. Not sure what the statement they’re desperate to hear would have to say to get them over themselves?

If it’s just he’s sacked then I’d say that there’s no disengagement.

Hibee Mac
03-11-2019, 09:30 AM
We have a team that is hard to engage with because we don't have a clue who half of them are.

That's not a dig at where they came from but what introduction was there to the likes of Doidge, Newell, Jackson, Vela etc? When guys like Fontaine and Bartley pitched up from the lower leagues in England they were regulars on HibsTV and our social media output from the outset. They were enthusiastic, infectious and you couldn't not like them. Fontaine in particular had a rocky start but he was given a bit of time because we knew what he was about. I couldn't even tell you what accent the new players named above have because I've heard nothing from them. It's way too late now because any output showing them having a good time or messing about would be jumped all over. I'm like a broken record about this but it's just something else that has slipped at Hibs. Interaction with the squad and getting to know different personalities goes a long way to building a rapport between fans and players. I don't feel that at the moment; it's just a few guys running about in Hibs strips who will be running about in another teams kit this time next year.

This is absolutely spot on, I have no connection to any of the new players whereas I felt far more attached to those who came through in the Stubbs era, Tom Zinelli we need you!

The Captain....
03-11-2019, 09:30 AM
It feels.like we've gone from there being a real collective effort to generate success to an operating model where we just exist within a budget. There is no passion..no rallying call..just plod on repeating the same mistakes.

The lack of engagement from new players and media team is a decent point. Our media output has really gone downhill and is dull and boring now..symptomatic of the whole club. The lad from the.media team that left to go down South was a big loss. It helped form a connection between players and fans that
just isn't there just now.

I wish the takeover hadn't happened personally..I was reasonably happy with the way things were and its destabilised the club imo. These plans we keep hearing about are taking longer to draw up than the D day landings so they better be good.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

emerald green
03-11-2019, 09:31 AM
How many of the players in the current Hibs first team squad genuinely "play for the jersey"?

Maybe Gray & McGregor (both when fit), Stevenson, Hanlon - all of whom are coming towards the end of their first team careers at Hibs.

Then perhaps also Porteous and Boyle. That's it.

Not one of the new signings come into this category. Nowhere near.

Weegreenman
03-11-2019, 09:35 AM
I’m disengaged because I’m watching players who don’t seem to be comfortable with a ball at their feet, some really struggle to do the very basics like pass and move.

We have goalkeepers who aren’t consistent just when we really could do with one.

We have senior players who just aren’t “at it” to coin a Souness phrase.

We have strikers who couldn’t hit a barn door with a shovel.

Defenders who couldn’t tackle a fish supper and that are just down right “nice guy” too soft.

A manager who is very happy to stick with the same formations, week in, week out.

A manager who is happy with our slow passing tempo and one up top even at home against opposition that we really should be going for the jugular from the first whistle.

We have a lovely stadium that isn’t being utilised to its maximum because our MD won’t listen to the vast majority of the fans.

The stadium is like a morgue most weeks.

It’s just no longer a very enjoyable experience to go to Easter Road.

Change is needed.

Pagan Hibernia
03-11-2019, 09:36 AM
It really is incredible how quickly things can change.

its just 15 months since our team, fresh off the back of a superb season that really should have seen us finish runners up to Celtic rather than 4th, saw off asteras in the scorching crucible of a Greek summer and this place was overflowing with positivity... “best Hibs team I’ve seen in my lifetime”... “great time to be a hibee” were just a couple of things regularly quoted.

But it can happen. This time last year the more deluded lot across town still harboured hopes of a title challenge. Now look at them.

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 09:38 AM
I’m disengaged because I’m watching players who don’t seem to be comfortable with a ball at their feet, some really struggle to do the very basics like pass and move.

We have goalkeepers who aren’t consistent just when we really could do with one.

We have senior players who just aren’t “at it” to coin a Souness phrase.

We have strikers who couldn’t hit a barn door with a shovel.

Defenders who couldn’t tackle a fish supper and that are just down right “nice guy” too soft.

A manager who is very happy to stick with the same formations, week in, week out.

A manager who is happy with our slow passing tempo and one up top even at home against opposition that we really should be going for the jugular from the first whistle.

We have a lovely stadium that isn’t being utilised to its maximum because our MD won’t listen to the vast majority of the fans.

The stadium is like a morgue most weeks.

It’s just no longer a very enjoyable experience to go to Easter Road.

Change is needed.

See all that’s fair enough and fairly accurate but I’d still disagree you’re disengaged, you’re unhappy at the manager, squad and individuals. The fact you’re on here posting about it says you’re engaged and want change.

Weegreenman
03-11-2019, 09:43 AM
See all that’s fair enough and fairly accurate but I’d still disagree you’re disengaged, you’re unhappy at the manager, squad and individuals. The fact you’re on here posting about it says you’re engaged and want change.

I’m a season ticket holder on and off for 35 years. I’ve haven’t attended our last two home matches and the Semi Final.

Disengaging then?

flash
03-11-2019, 09:43 AM

That's a reasonable point. Maybe disengaged is the wrong word.

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 09:46 AM
I’m a season ticket holder on and off for 35 years. I’ve haven’t attended our last two home matches and the Semi Final.

Disengaging then?

Yet you’re engaging about Hibs on here?

Unhappy that we’re not winning and with the situation but disengaged?

Weegreenman
03-11-2019, 09:51 AM

Call it what you like. What matters is that the club will suffer from loss of revenue if supporters lose interest/ disengage ???

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 09:54 AM
Call it what you like. What matters is that the club will suffer from loss of revenue if supporters lose interest/ disengage ???

They will lose money. It’s the exaggeration and dramatisation of it all that’s getting on my nerves just now.

We’re unhappy we’re not winning, we acknowledge something needs to change and we’re all engaged in wanting to see that happen.

The Modfather
03-11-2019, 09:57 AM

What is the actual point you are trying to make? It seems like it’s to pedantically debate the use of the word disengaged.

Almost all to a man we are all unhappy with the footballing side of things, but there is also a widening disconnect between the support and the club for reasons other than just results and performances. Again, I’d recommend you reading One Day Soon’s excellent summary of this disconnect on the “Forgotten What It’s Like To Be A Hibee” thread as to why that is.

GreenCastle
03-11-2019, 09:58 AM
It's not all about winning.

Several on this message board just think fans have an agenda or aren't good enough supporters if they don't go to Hampden or show discontent regularly.

It's more than that.

The only game this season I've actually enjoyed was the 1v1 draw at home against Celtic - why ? Well every player look like they cared and we we actually played as a TEAM.

Apart from that...the first home game of the season was rubbish, most games in between rubbish / woeful and even last week at 2v0 up I wasn't enjoying the game as we were poor and still weren't looking like longer term we were going to improve.

I'm written so many posts over the last few weeks and nearly getting to the point where I'm thinking what's the point.

Football clubs aren't cheap to follow - ST in Scottish Football aren't value for money. I always say the ST is more of a membership and doing something for the community.

Right now if I was asked to renew I would have to give it serious thought. The thought of that makes me fizz inside.

I would be amazed if they sold many half season tickets in next few months.

I understand the let's give Hecky time to try and turn it around (near the start of season) but anyone with half a brain about football can see the way he has set up his team and tactics has been his own failings. The team selections and persistence to play players out of form and simply not good enough is stubborn.

Progress is picking up 3 points. Draws aren't good enough. 2 wins and a loss would have moved us up the table - but 3 draws is 3 out of 9 points which isn't good enough against the mince teams around you.

How bad does this have to get? ST aren't attending games / fans are booing / signing Hecky out / messageboards are full of Hecky out - if you did a poll 95% or more would want him sacked.

The board are either clueless or their hands are tied to not get rid of an expensive mistake.

There is a dark cloud over Easter Road and I can fully understand all fans frustrations as this has gone on too long and like most things in life - if you don't like it people will walk away so the longer the club do nothing the harder it will be to repair the damage.

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 10:05 AM
What is the actual point you are trying to make? It seems like it’s to pedantically debate the use of the word disengaged.

Almost all to a man we are all unhappy with the footballing side of things, but there is also a widening disconnect between the support and the club for reasons other than just results and performances. Again, I’d recommend you reading One Day Soon’s excellent summary of this disconnect on the “Forgotten What It’s Like To Be A Hibee” thread as to why that is.

My point is that many are not disengaged and the word is being thrown around in a dramatic fashion to exaggerate the situation.

Demanding statements (that say what?) and not going to a match because you don’t like manager isn’t a sign of disengagement.

BoomtownHibees
03-11-2019, 10:07 AM
My point is that many are not disengaged and the word is being thrown around in a dramatic fashion to exaggerate the situation.

Demanding statements (that say what?) and taking and not going to a match because you don’t like manager isn’t a sign of disengagement.

“If someone is disengaged from something, they are not as involved with it as you would expect”

Surely not going to matches meets that description?

Hermit Crab
03-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Definitely DISENGAGED - We are on a dreadful run of results, playing boring football with a squad topped up with poor quality summer signings at a significant cost.
The silence from the board and our new owner has been deafening, no acknowledgement of our current situation and no rallying cry to the fans with a plan of where we're going.

The board know they have made an absolute James Hunt of it and they're hoping if they stay silent then all this will go away and the fans will just accept it.

The Modfather
03-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Demanding statements (that say what?) and not going to a match because you don’t like manager isn’t a sign of disengagement.

You surely also acknowledge then that many are actually disengaged, and that there has been many posts highlighting the various reasons that feed into the disconnect between the support and the club. A lot of those reasons aren’t solely to do with the football or the manager. What’s your thoughts on those feeling disengaged for those reasons?

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 10:12 AM
“If someone is disengaged from something, they are not as involved with it as you would expect”

Surely not going to matches meets that description?

I wish they were disengaged so the threads could be constructive criticism and thoughts on how to turn this round, rather than constant drama from the disengaged telling us how disengaged they are.

Life’s just a drama now - I blame Facebook.

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 10:14 AM
You surely also acknowledge then that many are actually disengaged, and that there has been many posts highlighting the various reasons that feed into the disconnect between the support and the club. A lot of those reasons aren’t solely to do with the football or the manager. What’s your thoughts on those feeling disengaged for those reasons?

If we sack the manager watch the disengaged re-engage pretty quickly.

Then we can get back to talking about loyalty points.

snedzuk
03-11-2019, 10:19 AM
How many of the players in the current Hibs first team squad genuinely "play for the jersey"?

Maybe Gray & McGregor (both when fit), Stevenson, Hanlon - all of whom are coming towards the end of their first team careers at Hibs.

Then perhaps also Porteous and Boyle. That's it.

Not one of the new signings come into this category. Nowhere near.

Seems like the since 1875 boys got that spot on weeks ago.

heid the baw
03-11-2019, 10:27 AM

The fact that livingston are in the top flight with no support and a woeful plastic pitch illustrates perfectly my point about scottish football going backwards.
No further questions m'lud

The Modfather
03-11-2019, 10:27 AM
If we sack the manager watch the disengaged re-engage pretty quickly.

Then we can get back to talking about loyalty points.

If we change the manager I’ll feel more positive than I do now. However if we were to still continue with the radio silence from the board, a new owner who rarely engages with the support and hasn’t shared any details of his plans for the future. A marketing team lacking the creativity and imagination we saw previously, a squad of players we know nothing about (stealing PB’s point) and are players simply passing through the club rather than players we can relate to. A muddled transfer strategy. No discernible pathway from youth team to first team. Poor catering. Lack of imagination in growing revenue streams. Etc etc

All of those might not mean much individually, but add up to a greater whole IMO. Which is why the disconnect from the club is about more than just who the manager is and how we’re doing. We’ve seen what a fully engaged club is like and anything less is no longer acceptable IMO, whether we’re doing well on the park or not.

B.H.F.C
03-11-2019, 10:32 AM
I wish they were disengaged so the threads could be constructive criticism and thoughts on how to turn this round, rather than constant drama from the disengaged telling us how disengaged they are.

Life’s just a drama now - I blame Facebook.

I’m not sure where the dramatisation is at the moment.

Look at the empty seats on Wednesday, that is people disengaging with the club. Look at the ticket sales yesterday, that is people not wanting to engage.

People aren’t happy with results and are having a good moan about it. Well we’ve not won a game for three months, we’ve won one in 16 league games, we’ve lost at home to the worst Hearts team in years, shipped 5 in a semi final, shipped 6 in a league game, thrown away countless leads and signed some absolutely dreadful players.

People might talk about things more positively once there is actually something positive to talk about.

Hibiza
03-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Sack the manager ,total overhaul of the squad.

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 10:57 AM
I’m not sure where the dramatisation is at the moment.

Look at the empty seats on Wednesday, that is people disengaging with the club. Look at the ticket sales yesterday, that is people not wanting to engage.

People aren’t happy with results and are having a good moan about it. Well we’ve not won a game for three months, we’ve won one in 16 league games, we’ve lost at home to the worst Hearts team in years, shipped 5 in a semi final, shipped 6 in a league game, thrown away countless leads and signed some absolutely dreadful players.

People might talk about things more positively once there is actually something positive to talk about.

There’s no doubting that - but they’re actively not turning up to pressure the board into sacking the manager, not disengaging. When the manager’s sacked they’ll be back.

Unless the club put a statement out (saying whatever it is that’s being demanded?) and a couple of videos showing that the players love the club of course.

The drama is throwing words around like disengaging - they’re not, it’s a dramatic word being used to grab attention.

BoomtownHibees
03-11-2019, 11:04 AM
There’s no doubting that - but they’re actively not turning up to pressure the board into sacking the manager, not disengaging. When the manager’s sacked they’ll be back.

Unless the club put a statement out (saying whatever it is that’s being demanded?) and a couple of videos showing that the players love the club of course.

The drama is throwing words around like disengaging - they’re not, it’s a dramatic word being used to grab attention.

You’re getting awfy worked up about what language someone used to express their own feelings

Greenwich_Hibby
03-11-2019, 11:06 AM
I'm not disengaged - I've been disengaged by a board who treats its customers badly and who patently fail to see the damage the manager is doing; and who don't have the common decency to communicate with us unless they want money or to back one of their schemes; but it will alright the main priority is a new pitch at the training centre - dear god wake up Dempster (or Gordon if he has taken away your autonomy) - you have a large enough board!

B.H.F.C
03-11-2019, 11:12 AM

I think you’re having your own wee drama about the apparent drama.

People aren’t just staying away to put some kind of pressure on the board. It’s because it’s crap and no value for money.

heid the baw
03-11-2019, 11:19 AM
I think you’re having your own wee drama about the apparent drama.

People aren’t just staying away to put some kind of pressure on the board. It’s because it’s crap and no value for money.

100% agree

Fife-Hibee
03-11-2019, 11:21 AM
The fact that livingston are in the top flight with no support and a woeful plastic pitch illustrates perfectly my point about scottish football going backwards.
No further questions m'lud

You think Livingston fans care that they have a "woeful plastic pitch"? Because from what i've seen, it's only opposition teams that are complaining about it. Livi fans and their club are quite happy to use it to their advantage.

Scottish football is only "going backwards" when the team you support is going backwards.

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 11:22 AM
You can disagree if you like but my bet is you’ll all be re engaged when the manager leaves. Even if there’s not a statement from the board.

BoomtownHibees
03-11-2019, 11:24 AM
You can disagree if you like but my bet is you’ll all be re engaged when the manager leaves. Even if there’s not a statement from the board.

That doesn’t mean people can’t be disengaged now!!

Of course people will start to re-engage of it gets better

Fife-Hibee
03-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Why would anybody disagree? It makes sense.

hhibs
03-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Will they though?

Once you lose a customer or a supporter it can be very difficult to "engage" them again,simple put the off time gives them other oppo
rtunities to follow.

Simple common sense, you do not want to give the impression you do not care,hard to not piss supporters off and find other priorities for their time and money.

People are voting with their feet and there wallet,there is nothing over dramatic this situation,Hibs and earlier boards have a sad record of previous on this ,frankly I am amazed someome of your age does not see history repeating itself

Our board and in particular ,our CEO, continue to fail the club,radical changes and removals are needed.IMO

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 11:34 AM
That doesn’t mean people can’t be disengaged now!!

Of course people will start to re-engage of it gets better

They’re not disengaged - they want the manager sacked. Saying they’re disengaged is being disingenuous.

BoomtownHibees
03-11-2019, 11:36 AM
they’re not disengaged - they want the manager sacked. Saying they’re disengaged is being disingenuous.

ffs

hibee1875
03-11-2019, 11:44 AM
They’re not disengaged - they want the manager sacked. Saying they’re disengaged is being disingenuous.

I’m disengaged with you

The Modfather
03-11-2019, 11:48 AM

You’re at it. I’ve pointed you to an excellent summary by One Day Soon that summarises the various reasons, including lots of stuff unrelated to the manager and the results, I’ve also listed lots of things that a new manager wouldn’t address. You’ve ignored those points and just keep repeating that changing a manager would fix all discontent.

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 11:55 AM
You’re at it. I’ve pointed you to an excellent summary by One Day Soon that summarises the various reasons, including lots of stuff unrelated to the manager and the results, I’ve also listed lots of things that a new manager wouldn’t address. You’ve ignored those points and just keep repeating that changing a manager would fix all discontent.

No I just disagree with you. It’s allowed.

hibby6270
03-11-2019, 11:55 AM
The meaning of disengaged is ‘to no longer be emotionally attached’.

I will always be emotionally attached to Hibs, so wouldn’t describe myself as disengaged. Disappointed at the current state of affairs? Absolutely!!

In football terms Hibs are all that matters to me. Couldn’t give a tuppeny toss how any other club are doing - good or bad. I support them through thick and thin. This is a thin period, no doubt about that but there will be good times again just around the corner.

The essentials of supporting any club is to understand you can’t win everything. Let’s face it, in my 55+ years of supporting the club we’ve won 1 Scottish Cup, 3 League Cups, 3 ‘second tier’ titles, 2 Drybrough Cups and 1 Summer Cup. That’s 4 major trophies and several minor ones. Yeah - we’ve gone close several times in the major trophies but more often than not come up short.

Tells you everything about what supporting Hibs is about. We hope, rather than expect.

For the younger posters on here - get used to it. I have and do I regret it? Not a snowball’s chance in hell I do. GGTTH :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 11:56 AM
I’m disengaged with you

I’m not surprised. I’ve probably had my posts reported and you’ll be demanding a statement from Hibs.net admin shortly.

Hibiza
03-11-2019, 11:58 AM
Disillusionment ☹️

The Modfather
03-11-2019, 11:58 AM
No I just disagree with you. It’s allowed.

That’s fair enough, but would have been good to address all the non manager and results points and why you disagree and think it’s still just about results.

Sudds_1
03-11-2019, 11:59 AM

Discuss...

Both...i was there last night. Like many i sang the songs and made noise to support my team. But by half time i felt i was just going through the motions. Yes i pumped my fist when we scored but overall just detached and wee bit numb. Not bothered either way. Thats how low i've sunk during PH reign. I bet theres plenty others. ☹

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Both...i was there last night. Like many i sang the songs and made noise to support my team. But by half time i felt i was just going through the motions. Yes i pumped my fist when we scored but overall just detached and wee bit numb. Not bothered either way. Thats how low i've sunk during PH reign. I bet theres plenty others. ☹

I was the same as you - I’m not disengaged though, that’s why I’m on here discussing it and wanting to hear what we could do to make it better. All I can read though is sack the manager threads and those trying to trump that by claiming disengagement.

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 12:04 PM
That’s fair enough, but would have been good to address all the non manager and results points and why you disagree and think it’s still just about results.

I’ve not found the thread/post mate - I’m not ignoring it.

Sudds_1
03-11-2019, 12:09 PM
I was the same as you - I’m not disengaged though, that’s why I’m on here discussing it and wanting to hear what we could do to make it better. All I can read though is sack the manager threads and those trying to trump that by claiming disengagement.

Maybe detached then rather than disengaged. When real supporters start arguing over definitions then the fanbase malaise is there for all to see. We're all hurting....that should be good enough.

jacomo
03-11-2019, 12:11 PM
I’m not taking it personally and didn’t mention Heckingottom? I think it’s clear to everyone his time is up.

Just think we’ve gathered a number of drama queens that seem to be going through the terrible twos just now. Not sure what the statement they’re desperate to hear would have to say to get them over themselves?

If it’s just he’s sacked then I’d say that there’s no disengagement.

If you’re not taking it personally then why are you picking rows with people on here?

Fellow posters are saying they are feeling disengaged with Hibs. Rather than take this at face value you are choosing to argue with them.

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 12:21 PM
If you’re not taking it personally then why are you picking rows with people on here?

Fellow posters are saying they are feeling disengaged with Hibs. Rather than take this at face value you are choosing to argue with them.

Disagree with them rather than pick fights. It’s allowed, no matter how dramatic you make it sound.

The vast majority of the “disengaged” want the manager sacked and that’s it - they’ll be back on board.

Some others want regular statements and videos from the club and a cheaper pie plus some other stuff - a lot of that would quieten down when the managers sacked.

hibee1875
03-11-2019, 02:37 PM
I’m not surprised. I’ve probably had my posts reported and you’ll be demanding a statement from Hibs.net admin shortly.

At no point have I ever said I want a statement from the board. The post was to talk about how I just can’t be arsed with hibs anymore, next time though I’ll check with the dictionary for the meaning of all the words just incase someone like yourself comes along itching to pick a fight.

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 02:56 PM
At no point have I ever said I want a statement from the board. The post was to talk about how I just can’t be arsed with hibs anymore, next time though I’ll check with the dictionary for the meaning of all the words just incase someone like yourself comes along itching to pick a fight.

Disagreeing mate (not picking a fight). I understand some folk don’t know the difference but it is a thing.

Read the dictionary if you like or be more honest - just say you want the manager out and then you’ll start supporting the team again.

Smartie
03-11-2019, 02:58 PM
I’m as engaged as I’ve ever been about coming on Hibs.net and bickering, but I’ve found it harder to drag myself along to games this season than ever before.

My daughter enjoyed the fireworks in Haddington last night. It’s not easy to prioritise a pish football team over time with her that I’ll never get again.

Pretty Boy
03-11-2019, 03:01 PM
We have essentially had 3 pages of people arguing over the definition of a word and whether it has been misused.

Disengaged probably isn't the correct word but I understood perfectly what the OP, and others who have used the word, are meaning. Substitute in disillusioned or disconnected if you like but the basic point still remains. People feel detached from the club at the moment in a way that hasn't been evident for a few years. Something has changed at Hibs, beyond results on the park.

I liken it to when people use turgid in place of torpid. I know it's the wrong word but I still understand the general point being made.

hibee1875
03-11-2019, 03:04 PM
Disagreeing mate (not picking a fight). I understand some folk don’t know the difference but it is a thing.

Read the dictionary if you like or be more honest - just say you want the manager out and then you’ll start supporting the team again.

100% sticking by my statement of being disengaged. I’ve made no mistake. Heckingottom leaving isn’t all it’ll take for me to get that buzz back

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 03:05 PM
We have essentially had 3 pages of people arguing over the definition of a word and whether it has been misused.

Disengaged probably isn't the correct word but I understood perfectly what the OP, and others who have used the word, are meaning. Substitute in disillusioned or disconnected if you like but the basic point still remains. People feel detached from the club at the moment in a way that hasn't been evident for a few years. Something has changed at Hibs, beyond results on the park.

I liken it to when people use turgid in place of torpid. I know it's the wrong word but I still understand the general point being made.

I just think they’re exaggerating and being overly dramatic PB, they want the manager to be sacked and instead of simply saying that they’re trying to trump the other threads. That’s what it comes down to though - and I understand that general point.

A Hi-Bee
03-11-2019, 03:07 PM
****ing fed up wi the manager and the board, they are ****ing up my football team big style, will not be back as long as he is there, already talking at this stage of the season about next game being our cup final, think he sees that this could be the start of the relegation battle, get him out.

Weegreenman
03-11-2019, 03:53 PM

I think everyone knows exactly what the OP means and how he feels. Apart from the sad pedantic one’s amongst us.
I’m feeling slightly disengaged from .net after reading this thread tbh.

heid the baw
03-11-2019, 06:20 PM
You think Livingston fans care that they have a "woeful plastic pitch"? Because from what i've seen, it's only opposition teams that are complaining about it. Livi fans and their club are quite happy to use it to their advantage.

Scottish football is only "going backwards" when the team you support is going backwards.

That is a ridiculous thing to say.
Between 1974 and 1990 Scotland qualified for 5 back to back world cups. I don't think any country had ever achieved that who weren't holders or host nation. We haven't been at a major tournament for 20 years and we are not going to the next one.
Don't tell me that scottish football is not going backwards.

Borderhibbie76
03-11-2019, 06:27 PM
The silence from the board and our new owner has been deafening, no acknowledgement of our current situation and no rallying cry to the fans with a plan of where we're going.Sums up exactly how I feel too...well said mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jacomo
03-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Disagree with them rather than pick fights. It’s allowed, no matter how dramatic you make it sound.

The vast majority of the “disengaged” want the manager sacked and that’s it - they’ll be back on board.

Some others want regular statements and videos from the club and a cheaper pie plus some other stuff - a lot of that would quieten down when the managers sacked.

Disagreeing with an opinion is all part of debate.

Disagreeing with an emotion is pointless and isn’t going to get you anywhere.

Lago
03-11-2019, 07:37 PM
In days gone by you would have been the resident pub bore. :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
03-11-2019, 07:41 PM

I know you’re confused but folk used to disagree in days gone by as well. I don’t know if folk were as dramatic though.

matty_f
03-11-2019, 11:05 PM
I think everyone knows exactly what the OP means and how he feels. Apart from the sad pedantic one’s amongst us.
I’m feeling slightly disengaged from .net after reading this thread tbh.

You don't need an apostrophe in "ones". :greengrin

Frankhfc
03-11-2019, 11:33 PM
I know you’re confused but folk used to disagree in days gone by as well. I don’t know if folk were as dramatic though.

Most supporters I knew back in the day would gripe and sulk for a few days after a defeat but would sure as heck be back the following game hail rain or shine. There were even those who'd walk to Hampden or hitch a lift rather than miss a big game there. I appreciate its different days now.

snedzuk
04-11-2019, 05:01 AM
Most supporters I knew back in the day would gripe and sulk for a few days after a defeat but would sure as heck be back the following game hail rain or shine. There were even those who'd walk to Hampden or hitch a lift rather than miss a big game there. I appreciate its different days now.

Admins - any chance of making 'Heck' a sweary filter word - I saw some 'Heck' sausages in Sainsburys last night (when I was looking for sausages) and didnt buy them purely because of the name!

Barman Stanton
04-11-2019, 06:45 AM

Reminds me of the incredibly annoying ‘you don’t want to do that’ guy in Harry Enfield all those years ago. A bizarre crusade he seems to be on here.

Lago
04-11-2019, 11:31 AM
:greengrin
Reminds me of the incredibly annoying ‘you don’t want to do that’ guy in Harry Enfield all those years ago. A bizarre crusade he seems to be on here.

Squirrel 1875
04-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Some of the comments on here infuriate me. Why do so many people accept mediocrity just because hibs have been mediocre in the past? We were not mediocre for a good four season, we should be demanding that those standards be maintained.

flash
04-11-2019, 11:46 AM
Some of the comments on here infuriate me. Why do so many people nelly accept mediocrity just because hibs have been mediocre in the past? We were not mediocre for a good four season, we should be demanding that those standards be maintained.
Can't see a single comment doing that.

Squirrel 1875
04-11-2019, 11:48 AM
Can't see a single comment doing that.

Second post of the thread. Read.

Iggy Pope
04-11-2019, 02:10 PM

Discuss...

100% agree. This weeks buzzword.

ABZHFC
04-11-2019, 02:27 PM
I certainly feel apathy to an extent, but I think anybody who thinks that has only started since June is perhaps misremembering things a bit.

Since Asteras Tripolis away last August, I'd argue, this club has changed for the worst in almost every department, be it personnel, performances on the pitch, or communication from the board off it.

Yes, we have had the occasional good performance since then, even one or two fantastic days (I'm thinking beat Celtic 2-0 at home in December and winning 2-1 at Tynie specifically), but by and large, it's been poor and uninspiring, under both Lennon and Heckingbottom, for well over a year now.

We've lacked new characters for quite a while now, and I personally think it's not just Heckingbottom's fault for signing a load of 'English duds', as terrible as some have been so far. Look at Lennon's signing record, bar getting back Scott Allan (a great signing), and possibly Marciano and Kamberi, how many could even come close to be considered fans' favourites? And of the three listed, our new manager doesn't even seem to like playing the last two.

My point is, we were told there were contingency plans in place, that no player's or manager's departure would leave the club in limbo, but it seems like it really, truly has ever since McGeouch, Allan and McGinn all left in one transfer window, and that we've truthfully been on borrowed time since then