PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Celtic 02 11 19)

Jonnyboy
02-11-2019, 10:01 PM
I’ll be honest and say that as I travelled through to Glasgow it was with a feeling of trepidation. After all, we’d forgotten how to win games and Celtic were in stunning goal scoring form. Surely they would wipe the floor with us; humble us; destroy us? Yes, they won 5-2 but there were spells in the game where Hibs were very much in it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m fully aware that the winning margin could have been wider but at least my team, our players showed some spirit and fight in defeat.

As we arrived in Glasgow I heard that changes had been made to the team with Vela returning to the midfield and a fit again Slivka on the bench. Porteous was missing due to suspension with Adam Jackson slotting in at centre back alongside Paul Hanlon. With James and Stevenson at full back the defence had a familiar look to it but it was a defence that received far too little support from the midfield in front of it. Heckingbottom played Mallan and Horgan wide, but it seemed to me that both were either continually drifting into the middle or, worse still and more often, getting caught on their heels at every Celtic attack. Our fullbacks were effectively hung out to dry because our midfield players continually gave the ball away and failed to funnel back to help defend.

From the off, Celtic dominated play and it was hard to watch as a pedestrian Hibs side was subjected to quick and accurate passing by their opponents. After a few narrow escapes, Hibs conceded the opener when slack play meant a loss of possession which allowed Forrest to cross to the back post where Elyounoussi headed home from close range. Forrest’s cross took out the goalkeeper and as James had tucked in it gave the Celtic scorer all the time in the world to convert. Interestingly, James was not slow in letting Stevie Mallan know that he should have been tracking the Celtic man.

James was exposed again three minutes later but he should have made a better effort of stopping a low cross from Edouard. He didn’t and both Jackson and Hanlon though close by were not close enough to stop McGregor making it 2-0. We’d only played twenty minutes and things were looking pretty grim already as every time Celtic broke forward they looked as though they were likely to score. A couple of excellent blocks by Hanlon and Stevenson cleared the danger and Hibs at least tried to offer something up in an attacking sense.

With around ten minutes to go until the interval, Celtic were sloppy at the back and the ball broke to Hallberg who took a step forward and then sent the ball past Forster to make it 2-1. The goal gave Hibs a lift and they went looking for an equaliser but more often than not the final pass or cross into the danger area were poorly executed, Horgan and Allan being the main offenders.

With the break looming I dared to hope we might be given the chance to regroup. Only a goal behind, who knew what a team talk might achieve? As it was the Edouard/Elyounoussi combination struck again with the latter scoring from close range and the Hibs rearguard in disarray.

The chat at half time was around who should get hooked and believe me there were numerous candidates but given the number of times he’d squandered possession it was no surprise that Vela was replaced by Kamberi. It could just as easily have been Mallan, Horgan or Allan to make way but they survived and we hoped for the best with Hibs now having two strikers on the park.

The change had little early effect and indeed Celtic were unlucky to hit the frame of the goal twice but their luck returned when Chris Maxwell dropped a bread and butter cross from a corner and Scott Brown reacted quickly to rattle home a fourth for his side. To their credit, Hibs pushed forward and within a couple of minutes a Kamberi header reduced the deficit. It came when Mallan took a short corner and James delivered an excellent cross which Flo steered into the corner of the net.

I actually felt that after the second goal, Hibs competed well and with a little better in terms of delivery of the final pass might have made it 4-3 and had that happened it would have been interesting to see how Celtic reacted. As it was, Hibs were swarming around the Celtic goal when the ball was cleared to Scott Brown in a central midfield position. The Celtic captain took off towards the Hibs goal, met little resistance, played a one two and blasted home goal number five.

We were beaten and soundly beaten by a far superior side but I did feel that for a while we showed we have the spirit to fight our corner. It’s just a shame we don’t have enough of our players willing and able to make that fight and spirit count.

The players

Maxwell – I guess you could fault him for the third goal although at the time I thought he’d been barged just as he collected the ball.

James – Hung out to dry by Mallan failing to double up when Celtic had the ball in a wide area. You could blame Mallan and possibly rightly so but you have to ask why a player who couldn’t tackle a rice pudding is put in that position in the first place.

Jackson – His strength is his ability in the air and for the most part he won those battles. Unfortunately for him, Celtic play the ball on the ground and he was found wanting on a few occasions.

Hanlon – Like Jackson he struggled at times but he must have felt it was him v Celtic, such was the ‘support’ he got from his midfield.

Stevenson – As with James, he was left horribly exposed and given he was up against Forrest and the very impressive Frimpong I thought he fought his corner quite well.

Mallan – Another, who was put in a position by his manager that every man and his dog knew was just plain stupid.

Vela – Quite possibly the worst player on the park, by a country mile and I was both delighted and relieved when he was hooked at half time.

Allan – It’s just not working for Scotty at the moment. Maybe because those alongside him in midfield are not the best but his highlight for me today was getting away with poking Scott Brown in the eye with his finger.

Hallberg – Lasted the full ninety for a change and overall I’d say he was the best of our midfield although in truth that wasn’t hard today.

Horgan – I’m aware I’m not his biggest fan so I’ll leave the verdict on his performance to my mate who said “he’s worse than a man short.”

Doidge – Had the thankless task of trying to get the better of two strapping Celtic defenders and although he won a few headers he did little else of note.

Kamberi – I thought Flo had the best 45 minutes I’ve seen from him in a while. Intelligent runs, good use of the ball and a fine headed goal win him my man of the match award.

Slivka – Back from injury he had a decent time in the midfield role and I’d play him ahead of Vela every day of the week.

Boyle – Why was it left so late to bring Boyler on? He had no real chance to get involved and you just have to hope the minimal amount of playing time he got will bring him closer to a starting place.

Heckingbottom – I heard his post-match interview and he’s right when he said at 2-0 the game was lost. What he didn’t say was that his set up was to blame.

Bobby Madden – I used to think he was the best of a bad bunch but he seems as inconsistent as the rest of them now.

The fans – Tried hard to back the team but the Celtic ‘choir’ was in full voice belting out its Celtic favourites like The Soldier’s Song and Sean South.

Blaster
02-11-2019, 10:26 PM
I though Horgan was our best player. Taken off at a time he was heavily involved in our positive play

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2019, 10:32 PM
I though Horgan was our best player. Taken off at a time he was heavily involved in our positive play

He wasn't taken off at half time

IberianHibernian
02-11-2019, 10:41 PM
I though Horgan was our best player. Taken off at a time he was heavily involved in our positive playI agree . A few terrible passes but that`s because he gets involved . Only player who really creates chances for himself or others .

wookie70
02-11-2019, 10:42 PM

I thought Horgan was better than most first half very good in the second half and was shocked when he was replaced. Was one of the few who really worked hard.

Sammy7nil
02-11-2019, 10:46 PM
James is a terrible full back.

The Harp Awakes
02-11-2019, 11:03 PM
I thought Horgan was better than most first half very good in the second half and was shocked when he was replaced. Was one of the few who really worked hard.

Horgan can be brilliant one minute and do something stupid the next. What I'd say about him is that he never hides. One of our better players.

wookie70
02-11-2019, 11:07 PM
Horgan can be brilliant one minute and do something stupid the next. What I'd say about him is that he never hides. One of our better players. I agree completely but he did well today and was one of few that took the flight to his opposite number.

IberianHibernian
02-11-2019, 11:17 PM
Always like reading J`s match reports as there`s nothing better than reading a real fan`s opinion even if we all have different opinions which can change every match . But players seem to be assessed in 3 groups : stalwarts ( mainly or all 2016 cup winners ) whose bad performances are down to an off day or cause of mismanagement , players signed by Lennon who are considered to generally not be good enough for Hibs and PH signings who are collectively considered failures and don`t have ability or attitude to play for us . Not meaning just Johnnyboy`s opinions and am referring to all matches not just Hampden semi . May be a lot of truth in assessment of 3 categories but also think it`s unfair and inaccurate to write off 19/20 signings as failures and to exempt 2016 " legends " from criticism this season .

The Harp Awakes
02-11-2019, 11:24 PM
I’ll be honest and say that as I travelled through to Glasgow it was with a feeling of trepidation. After all, we’d forgotten how to win games and Celtic were in stunning goal scoring form. Surely they would wipe the floor with us; humble us; destroy us? Yes, they won 5-2 but there were spells in the game where Hibs were very much in it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m fully aware that the winning margin could have been wider but at least my team, our players showed some spirit and fight in defeat.

As we arrived in Glasgow I heard that changes had been made to the team with Vela returning to the midfield and a fit again Slivka on the bench. Porteous was missing due to suspension with Adam Jackson slotting in at centre back alongside Paul Hanlon. With James and Stevenson at full back the defence had a familiar look to it but it was a defence that received far too little support from the midfield in front of it. Heckingbottom played Mallan and Horgan wide, but it seemed to me that both were either continually drifting into the middle or, worse still and more often, getting caught on their heels at every Celtic attack. Our fullbacks were effectively hung out to dry because our midfield players continually gave the ball away and failed to funnel back to help defend.

From the off, Celtic dominated play and it was hard to watch as a pedestrian Hibs side was subjected to quick and accurate passing by their opponents. After a few narrow escapes, Hibs conceded the opener when slack play meant a loss of possession which allowed Forrest to cross to the back post where Elyounoussi headed home from close range. Forrest’s cross took out the goalkeeper and as James had tucked in it gave the Celtic scorer all the time in the world to convert. Interestingly, James was not slow in letting Stevie Mallan know that he should have been tracking the Celtic man.

James was exposed again three minutes later but he should have made a better effort of stopping a low cross from Edouard. He didn’t and both Jackson and Hanlon though close by were not close enough to stop McGregor making it 2-0. We’d only played twenty minutes and things were looking pretty grim already as every time Celtic broke forward they looked as though they were likely to score. A couple of excellent blocks by Hanlon and Stevenson cleared the danger and Hibs at least tried to offer something up in an attacking sense.

With around ten minutes to go until the interval, Celtic were sloppy at the back and the ball broke to Hallberg who took a step forward and then sent the ball past Forster to make it 2-1. The goal gave Hibs a lift and they went looking for an equaliser but more often than not the final pass or cross into the danger area were poorly executed, Horgan and Allan being the main offenders.

With the break looming I dared to hope we might be given the chance to regroup. Only a goal behind, who knew what a team talk might achieve? As it was the Edouard/Elyounoussi combination struck again with the latter scoring from close range and the Hibs rearguard in disarray.

The chat at half time was around who should get hooked and believe me there were numerous candidates but given the number of times he’d squandered possession it was no surprise that Vela was replaced by Kamberi. It could just as easily have been Mallan, Horgan or Allan to make way but they survived and we hoped for the best with Hibs now having two strikers on the park.

The change had little early effect and indeed Celtic were unlucky to hit the frame of the goal twice but their luck returned when Chris Maxwell dropped a bread and butter cross from a corner and Scott Brown reacted quickly to rattle home a fourth for his side. To their credit, Hibs pushed forward and within a couple of minutes a Kamberi header reduced the deficit. It came when Mallan took a short corner and James delivered an excellent cross which Flo steered into the corner of the net.

I actually felt that after the second goal, Hibs competed well and with a little better in terms of delivery of the final pass might have made it 4-3 and had that happened it would have been interesting to see how Celtic reacted. As it was, Hibs were swarming around the Celtic goal when the ball was cleared to Scott Brown in a central midfield position. The Celtic captain took off towards the Hibs goal, met little resistance, played a one two and blasted home goal number five.

We were beaten and soundly beaten by a far superior side but I did feel that for a while we showed we have the spirit to fight our corner. It’s just a shame we don’t have enough of our players willing and able to make that fight and spirit count.

The players

Maxwell – I guess you could fault him for the third goal although at the time I thought he’d been barged just as he collected the ball.

James – Hung out to dry by Mallan failing to double up when Celtic had the ball in a wide area. You could blame Mallan and possibly rightly so but you have to ask why a player who couldn’t tackle a rice pudding is put in that position in the first place.

Jackson – His strength is his ability in the air and for the most part he won those battles. Unfortunately for him, Celtic play the ball on the ground and he was found wanting on a few occasions.

Hanlon – Like Jackson he struggled at times but he must have felt it was him v Celtic, such was the ‘support’ he got from his midfield.

Stevenson – As with James, he was left horribly exposed and given he was up against Forrest and the very impressive Frimpong I thought he fought his corner quite well.

Mallan – Another, who was put in a position by his manager that every man and his dog knew was just plain stupid.

Vela – Quite possibly the worst player on the park, by a country mile and I was both delighted and relieved when he was hooked at half time.

Allan – It’s just not working for Scotty at the moment. Maybe because those alongside him in midfield are not the best but his highlight for me today was getting away with poking Scott Brown in the eye with his finger.

Hallberg – Lasted the full ninety for a change and overall I’d say he was the best of our midfield although in truth that wasn’t hard today.

Horgan – I’m aware I’m not his biggest fan so I’ll leave the verdict on his performance to my mate who said “he’s worse than a man short.”

Doidge – Had the thankless task of trying to get the better of two strapping Celtic defenders and although he won a few headers he did little else of note.

Kamberi – I thought Flo had the best 45 minutes I’ve seen from him in a while. Intelligent runs, good use of the ball and a fine headed goal win him my man of the match award.

Slivka – Back from injury he had a decent time in the midfield role and I’d play him ahead of Vela every day of the week.

Boyle – Why was it left so late to bring Boyler on? He had no real chance to get involved and you just have to hope the minimal amount of playing time he got will bring him closer to a starting place.

Heckingbottom – I heard his post-match interview and he’s right when he said at 2-0 the game was lost. What he didn’t say was that his set up was to blame.

Bobby Madden – I used to think he was the best of a bad bunch but he seems as inconsistent as the rest of them now.

The fans – Tried hard to back the team but the Celtic ‘choir’ was in full voice belting out its Celtic favourites like The Soldier’s Song and Sean South.

Always enjoy reading your reports on the game JB and you're seldom wide of the mark.

You're spot on about the team being set up wrong from the start. In some ways it's even more infuriating that for a good part of the 2nd half we played some decent football and troubled them. Although recruitment has been poor I can't help but feel that a new Head Coach coming in with some tactical nous and inspirational qualities could get far more out of this group of players

Moody Blues
02-11-2019, 11:33 PM
Always like reading J`s match reports as there`s nothing better than reading a real fan`s opinion even if we all have different opinions which can change every match . But players seem to be assessed in 3 groups : stalwarts ( mainly or all 2016 cup winners ) whose bad performances are down to an off day or cause of mismanagement , players signed by Lennon who are considered to generally not be good enough for Hibs and PH signings who are collectively considered failures and don`t have ability or attitude to play for us . Not meaning just Johnnyboy`s opinions and am referring to all matches not just Hampden semi . May be a lot of truth in assessment of 3 categories but also think it`s unfair and inaccurate to write off 19/20 signings as failures and to exempt 2016 " legends " from criticism this season .

Yeh ok. Dont understand this post.

Renton1875
02-11-2019, 11:36 PM

The players

Thanks for the report JB. Boyler should have been brought on when we scored our second but by the time he did come on Celtic had weathered the brief storm.

bigstu
02-11-2019, 11:41 PM
Kamberi was brilliant for a period when he came on, clearly a very talented player but sadly does not show it enough

Hibernia&Alba
02-11-2019, 11:45 PM
Another superb write up, Jonny, but I can condense how it felt by saying it felt like a boot in the baws on the coldest day of the year.....again.

NAE NOOKIE
02-11-2019, 11:57 PM
Yeh ... reports on the game notwithstanding when have Hibs ever won at Celtic park? Not often and the utterly pathetic turnout by our so called support made it a home game for Celtic. It might as well have been played at Parkhead for all the use 4000 away fans made ... cheers fellow so called Hibs fans .... you let your team down and you have the cheek to moan about the players and manager :faf:

Hi Heid Yin
02-11-2019, 11:59 PM
Thank you for another insightful write up, Jonnyboy.

ozhibs
03-11-2019, 12:05 AM
Thanks JB I look forward to your match report even if I have watched the match, you seem to be a more balanced view of the game as opposed to the extremes posted elsewhere
GGTTH

tonyrougier123
03-11-2019, 12:08 AM

I thought too that our best spell came to an end when he went off.

Mixu62
03-11-2019, 01:31 AM
Is it just me or are the things we're saying about Horgan a copy/paste from Boyle about 3 years ago?! Frustrating, gets into good positions then quality of the final pass or cross sadly lacking. But tries hard and pace can be an asset. I reckon he could be a really good wee player with the right coaching, like the improvement in Boyle over the last few seasons.

sean04
03-11-2019, 03:37 AM
Thought Hanlon and James had shockers. Vela shouldn’t play again for the club. Don’t want to see us start again with 1 up front, Doidge and Kamberi have to play together. Sick of this nonsense 4 2 3 1

BILLYHIBS
03-11-2019, 05:35 AM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

Hibs class

Very much greatly appreciated

Thanks once again for posting

Blaster
03-11-2019, 06:35 AM
He wasn't taken off at half time

And I never said he was.

Smartie
03-11-2019, 06:54 AM

Not sure I agree with this.

Have you heard some of the criticism Paul Hanlon has received this season?

Did you notice that in spite of only playing half the game Kamberi was Jonnyboy's motm?

We're all waiting to see something from Heckingbottom's signings but truth be told, other than Hallberg, I think we're going to be waiting for a while (and Hallberg has had plenty of praise here and elsewhere.)

PeeJay
03-11-2019, 07:50 AM
Agree with most of your report JC - however, while I thought Horgan had many unlucky/poor moments - unlike some more talented fan favourites - he never shirks or hides. I thought he worked tirelessly helping out on Stevenson's side in defence, would like to have seen his effort applied by many more of the team. His crossing and final ball up front is generally woeful, but he is not alone there in our team. Defensively we were perfect amateurs on the day - embarrassing that a team of our "standing" can produce a performance like that in a semi final. 2nd half we were indeed more spirited but surely everybody knows you can't fail to turn up for the 1st half against Celtic and hope to achieve something?

The truth is our "defence" is so bloody awful we should have started with 2 up straight away and not tried to "hold out" or whatever it is the "manager" thinks he is doing. Their defence wasn't actually very good either and while they could have scored a barrowload more we too had some excellent chances, all squandered unfortunately. If Mallan's poor effort had gone in at 2-4 we would have had a different dynamic on the park and who knows?

Spot on about Kamberi and him being MotM - personally I'd keep him and get rid of everybody else and build a team around him... :greengrin

Greenbeard
03-11-2019, 08:56 AM
This might sound like Heck (Sauzee forbid) but there were a lot of positives from the 2nd half, esp after fearing we could be going in at HT 4 or 5 down.
Main difference I saw between the two teams - a massive one - was the immediate positivity as soon as Celtic gained possession, compared to our mostly nervous nothingness when gaining possession.
And runners. "Intelligent" runs - several at a time - gave any Celtic player in possession options, whereas the norm for us was the back pass or meaningless sideways pass. Lost count of the number of times I said "where's the options?". Too often, any movement ahead of the player on the ball was into crowded areas rather than into space or to stretch the defence.
But had you said to me 20mins in that come midway through the second half we'd be 4-2 down and looking the most likely to score to peg it back to 4-3 I'd have said you were slavering. Their 4th could easily have been chalked off given the over-protection goalies get on 50/50 balls, and you can't be too critical of us conceding the 5th when stretched at the back as we tried to push forwards.
Celtic fan I watched with said "Hibs were no' bad and shouldn't be near the bottom of the league".

Nicho87
03-11-2019, 09:03 AM
I thought Horgan looked better playing on the right side of a diamond.

James has a look of Matt Doherty about him, that being total fraud who shows no sign on passion.

Vela. Just don’t go there.

Doidge. Waste of money.

Newell doesn’t get used so says it all.

Marciano will be off in jan to save his international career and I can’t blame him.

Jackson not good enough.

Allan should be given the captaincy by the new manager. Him and Boyle the only exciting players we have at the club. IMO

southsider
03-11-2019, 09:39 AM
I left at HT as I though the score could be anything. We were so poor and lacked fight in a semi final it’s hard to take. Has this muppet been sacked yet ?

Hibeewilly
03-11-2019, 09:52 AM
James is a terrible full back.I agree totally..... he is brutal

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
03-11-2019, 09:59 AM
I left at HT as I though the score could be anything. We were so poor and lacked fight in a semi final it’s hard to take. Has this muppet been sacked yet ?

We showed some fight in the second half. But it was far too little, far too late.

We were lucky to get a goal out of nothing in the first half to get back in to it. The way he set us up and the lack of fire he sends them out with is terrible. You could see it at the end of the warm up, when they do their final sprints before they went in. Some of the players just kind of ambled over then ambled through it. They looked disorganised and disinterested and although it sounds like a small thing, it’s totally reflective of what happens when the game starts and we have a complete lack of purpose.

Hermit Crab
03-11-2019, 10:02 AM
This might sound like Heck (Sauzee forbid) but there were a lot of positives from the 2nd half, esp after fearing we could be going in at HT 4 or 5 down.
Main difference I saw between the two teams - a massive one - was the immediate positivity as soon as Celtic gained possession, compared to our mostly nervous nothingness when gaining possession.
And runners. "Intelligent" runs - several at a time - gave any Celtic player in possession options, whereas the norm for us was the back pass or meaningless sideways pass. Lost count of the number of times I said "where's the options?". Too often, any movement ahead of the player on the ball was into crowded areas rather than into space or to stretch the defence.
But had you said to me 20mins in that come midway through the second half we'd be 4-2 down and looking the most likely to score to peg it back to 4-3 I'd have said you were slavering. Their 4th could easily have been chalked off given the over-protection goalies get on 50/50 balls, and you can't be too critical of us conceding the 5th when stretched at the back as we tried to push forwards.
Celtic fan I watched with said "Hibs were no' bad and shouldn't be near the bottom of the league".

Playing ok for a 15 minute spell in a cup semi final is not good enough. Its the poor performances and powderpuff defending in all the other games is the reason we are near the bottom of the league.

Moulin Yarns
03-11-2019, 10:19 AM
I really enjoy your reports, they are an oasis of sanity amidst the total meltdown in other threads. Keep up the good work.

thegaffer12
03-11-2019, 10:21 AM
I'd consider starting James right mid for the next few games. Poor defender but going forward he offers something.

Allant1981
03-11-2019, 10:22 AM
I'd consider starting James right mid for the next few games. Poor defender but going forward he offers something.

Surely boyle has to be playing out wide? Much better than james going forward and is quick enough to get back and help the RB

BoomtownHibees
03-11-2019, 10:27 AM

That would just be another player playing out of position. No sure that’s what we need right now

Box 17
03-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Not so sure that a lack of fight and spirit are the root of our problems.

We are where we are because of, with maybe a couple of exceptions, an all round dearth of quality. This is the reason we are struggling to compete with the Ross County's, Hamilton's and Livngston's, and of course when we come up against a really good side like Celtic our players limitations are brutally exposed.

EVENTUALLY
03-11-2019, 11:10 AM

Agreed.

There is a very decent player in there who demonstrates calmness, has two good feet, great shooting ability and range of passing and is also good on set plays BUT he is very very reluctant to tackle an opponent, the best he offers is a sliding block. I'd push him into midfield too.

Greenwich_Hibby
03-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Our problems are simple - bang average players, a manager out of his depth playing rigid, negative formations and a very indecisive board who won't listen to their customers. James was dire. All the players the manager has signed are only suited to negative, grind-out-a-result tactics, like their manager.

flash
03-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Always worth reading Jonnyboy and I agree with the vast majority of what you say. Minor quibbles with some of the player ratings but who cares about that when you have gone to all this trouble.

wookie70
03-11-2019, 06:25 PM
Is it just me or are the things we're saying about Horgan a copy/paste from Boyle about 3 years ago?! Frustrating, gets into good positions then quality of the final pass or cross sadly lacking. But tries hard and pace can be an asset. I reckon he could be a really good wee player with the right coaching, like the improvement in Boyle over the last few seasons.

I posted on another thread that Horgan is already better in terms of assists and almost equal in terms of goals to Boyle and that is despite playing in a struggling team and in the top league. He has more end product than many give him credit for, including me, but I agree there are parallels with Boyler.