PDA

View Full Version : Hibs game in another obscure city (Cadiz)

Speedy
01-11-2019, 08:34 PM
Any ideas where to catch the game in Cadiz?

There are 3 Irish pubs but none seem to be remotely Irish other than the fact they sell Guinness.

Seville are playing Atletico Madrid at the same time so guessing I could be struggling.

Thanks in advance. GGTTH.

Iggy Pope
01-11-2019, 08:38 PM

There are 3 Irish pubs but none seem to be remotely Irish other than the fact they sell Guinness.

Seville are playing Atletico Madrid at the same time so guessing I could be struggling.

Thanks in advance. GGTTH.

Cannot help with tellys but Cadiz is cracking.
Believe this or nay, me and two mates got wind of Hibs playing a pre season tourney there in 1983 and we hastily booked.
It never happened. Great holiday though.

calumhibee1
01-11-2019, 08:39 PM
Believe this or nay, me and two mates got wind of Hibs playing a pre season tourney there in 1983 and we hastily booked.
It never happened. Great holiday though.

:hilarious

IberianHibernian
01-11-2019, 09:00 PM

Thanks in advance. GGTTH.Don`t think Atletico game will make much difference as most locals support Cadiz and / or Real M / Barca . Cadiz have played today so they won`t be on telly tomorrow . You`re right about Irish pubs - not Irish and don`t think they`re football pubs . I`ve asked my son who knows Cádiz pubs and he`s said try Cabin Bar in old centre , Morama ( at beach and shows football ) and Woodstock ( one in old centre and one at beach ) . Will try to find out more . Several Hibbies have lived in Cádiz in recent years and I have met Gaditanos who have worked in Edinburgh ( especially Leith ) and have a soft spot for Hibs . Paco Luna was born in Jerez but started his career in San Fernando .

Iggy Pope
01-11-2019, 09:04 PM
Don`t think Atletico game will make much difference as most locals support Cadiz and / or Real M / Barca . Cadiz have played today so they won`t be on telly tomorrow . You`re right about Irish pubs - not Irish and don`t think they`re football pubs . I`ve asked my son who knows Cádiz pubs and he`s said try Cabin Bar in old centre , Morama ( at beach and shows football ) and Woodstock ( one in old centre and one at beach ) . Will try to find out more . Several Hibbies have lived in Cádiz in recent years and I have met Gaditanos who have worked in Edinburgh ( especially Leith ) and have a soft spot for Hibs . Paco Luna was born in Jerez but started his career in San Fernando .

This post makes Hibs.net a lovely place sir.

IberianHibernian
01-11-2019, 09:06 PM
It never happened. Great holiday though.I remember this . We ended up playing at Dumbarton . At that time that was the most prestigious pre season tournament in Spain possibly Europe . For us to be invited to that tournament was a massive compliment . The tournament has lost prestige ( this year it was kickstarted by inviting women`s teams after success of women`s world cup ) but in 1983 was massive ( Pelé had played for example ) . That year Hibs got special permission to play in that tournament , about a decade later or more Celtic and Rangers were given permisiion to change league games to play in foreign tournaments but we were first ven if we didn`t finally play the tournament .

Iggy Pope
01-11-2019, 09:10 PM
I remember this . We ended up playing at Dumbarton . At that time that was the most prestigious pre season tournament in Spain possibly Europe . For us to be invited to that tournament was a massive compliment . The tournament has lost prestige ( this year it was kickstarted by inviting women`s teams after success of women`s world cup ) but in 1983 was massive ( Pelé had played for example ) . That year Hibs got special permission to play in that tournament , about a decade later or more Celtic and Rangers were given permisiion to change league games to play in foreign tournaments but we were first ven if we didn`t finally play the tournament .

We certainly didn’t. I ended up blasted in Benalmedena.

Speedy
01-11-2019, 11:45 PM
Don`t think Atletico game will make much difference as most locals support Cadiz and / or Real M / Barca . Cadiz have played today so they won`t be on telly tomorrow . You`re right about Irish pubs - not Irish and don`t think they`re football pubs . I`ve asked my son who knows Cádiz pubs and he`s said try Cabin Bar in old centre , Morama ( at beach and shows football ) and Woodstock ( one in old centre and one at beach ) . Will try to find out more . Several Hibbies have lived in Cádiz in recent years and I have met Gaditanos who have worked in Edinburgh ( especially Leith ) and have a soft spot for Hibs . Paco Luna was born in Jerez but started his career in San Fernando .

Thanks a lot, will check them out. Can't quite find Morama but found The Cabin Bar on a map and already been in both Woodstock bars so fingers crossed :greengrin

As for Cadiz playing today...yes they did. Was at the game, saw VAR in action live and had £20 on them at 5/4. All in all, not a bad day out.

DH1875
02-11-2019, 12:18 AM

Not knocking your knowledge but know for a fact there's plenty of Sevilla and Betis fans living in the area :confused:.

FilipinoHibs
02-11-2019, 04:14 AM
My mother's family lived in Cadiz before escaping the Franco regime to Portugal. Been a few times and the Madrid and Barcelona teams generally detested. More sympathetic to the Seville teams.

IberianHibernian
02-11-2019, 11:29 PM
Not knocking your knowledge but know for a fact there's plenty of Sevilla and Betis fans living in the area :confused:.In the province yes but not in the city of Cádiz . Betis are a popular team in villages all over Andalusia and in places like Catalonia or parts of Madrid where many Andalusians have moved in last 40 years . Sevilla also popular in villages around city of Seville . In the city of Cádiz , the few people who support Betis or Sevilla are usually from Seville or their parents were ( there will be more supporters of Valencia or Atletico Madrid in city of Cádiz than of either Seville club for example ) .