PDA

View Full Version : We need to play Marciano tomorrow.

RossScott1991
01-11-2019, 04:38 PM
He has had some great performances against Celtic and kept a couple of clean sheets against them in the past. He’s our best shot stopper and we are going to be under the cosh.

We know from Logan’s performance how vital a keeper can be to getting you to a final if you are to survive scares.

Though Maxwell hasn’t had any clangers since being in the team, I can’t help but feel Rocky would have potentially got to a couple of them that have gone in. Hickeys deflected effort imo. I don’t like how we are playing a loan goalkeeper over a full international contracted to us. Marciano is our best goalkeeper we’ve had for a few years imo

Daydreamer
01-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Agreed!!!

Smartie
01-11-2019, 04:47 PM
It's a tough one, but I think I agree.

Erratic potential match winner vs safe pair of hands? We need the match winner in for this one.

I'd still be tempted to put Maxwell in for the next league game.

Fuzzywuzzy
01-11-2019, 04:47 PM
When was his last Hibs match?

Since452
01-11-2019, 04:48 PM
We've at least stopped losing with Maxwell in goals

Gloucester Hibs
01-11-2019, 04:51 PM
Agreed. Just need to look to the Celtic game at the end of last season to see what Rocky brings us. Can’t even recall one wonder save Maxwell has made, though I appreciate his coming for crosses is a decent attribute.

SChibs
01-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Maxwell has been fine and doesn't deserved to be dropped.

1 8 7 5
01-11-2019, 04:53 PM
He's not been firing this season.... but I agree. Id have him in for tomorrow.

GoalsMcGinley
01-11-2019, 04:55 PM

Been decent. A few goals we’ve conceded recently I think he should do better with. Especially Ross County’s equaliser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golden Bear
01-11-2019, 05:27 PM
I just don't get this Marciano love in.

He was deservedly dropped for his early season form and Maxwell proved himself to be a very capable keeper and merits the Number 1 slot.

Albanian Hibs
01-11-2019, 05:34 PM
I agree. Marciano is the better keeper imo

hibsbollah
01-11-2019, 05:36 PM

This.

Scouse Hibee
01-11-2019, 05:36 PM

He was deservedly dropped for his early season form and Maxwell proved himself to be a very capable keeper and merits the Number 1 slot.

Agreed, keep hearing Rocky would have saved this, Rocky would have saved that. Rocky was dropped because he was not making them saves and he was not performing, his form was rotten and he deservedly lost his place. Maxwell keeps the gloves for me.

SMAXXA
01-11-2019, 06:14 PM
Agreed, keep hearing Rocky would have saved this, Rocky would have saved that. Rocky was dropped because he was not making them saves and he was not performing, his form was rotten and he deservedly lost his place. Maxwell keeps the gloves for me.

Yup exactly how I see it

twiceinathens
01-11-2019, 06:15 PM
Marciano is a shot sopper BUT he tends to be glued to his line and his distribution is poor.

Since452
01-11-2019, 06:18 PM

2 seasons running

Golden Bear
01-11-2019, 06:24 PM
Marciano is a shot sopper BUT he tends to be glued to his line and his distribution is poor.

His distribution is FAR superior to Marciano's from where I sit at ER!

Tyler Durden
01-11-2019, 06:26 PM
I think it was right to drop Marciano but he should be back in by now. He’s been dropped in prior seasons and returned to recover his best form.

For an objective view, check out the Twitter account “Rangers Report”. Much better than the name suggests! It’s an analysis account and they have a metric which is the equivalent of expected goals for keepers. In simple terms, Maxwell would be expected to save a set percentage of the shots he has faced. He has saved much fewer than the expected.

Worse than Rockys stats and I think, the second worst in the league.

Hibeewilly
01-11-2019, 07:16 PM
He has had some great performances against Celtic and kept a couple of clean sheets against them in the past. He’s our best shot stopper and we are going to be under the cosh.

We know from Logan’s performance how vital a keeper can be to getting you to a final if you are to survive scares.

Though Maxwell hasn’t had any clangers since being in the team, I can’t help but feel Rocky would have potentially got to a couple of them that have gone in. Hickeys deflected effort imo. I don’t like how we are playing a loan goalkeeper over a full international contracted to us. Marciano is our best goalkeeper we’ve had for a few years imo
I have to agree...I cant remember Maxwell making any great saves. I thought he should have got Ross Countys second goal Im certain Rocky would have got to it. Rockys one on one record is second to none

HibbyAndy
01-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Nah , I'd rather have Maxwell in goals , Marciano was dropped for a reason

Lago
01-11-2019, 07:21 PM
:aok:

wookie70
01-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Maxwell hasn't done much wrong and the last thing we need is gifting Celtc possession on a big pitch every time our keeper gets the ball

Iggy Pope
01-11-2019, 07:39 PM
If they’re out there tonight practising kicking jobbies off dykes then winner gets the jersey for me.

Sammy7nil
01-11-2019, 07:49 PM

Totally agree :aok:

theonlywayisup
01-11-2019, 09:35 PM
I would like to see Marciano back, but it's no going to happen so Maxwell will have my full support.

My concern about Maxwell is I don't think he's as good as Marciano at shot-stopping, which will be a key requirement tomorrow.

ivan03
02-11-2019, 01:48 AM
If you’ve watch Hibs every week this season you’d be mad to want Rocky in goals ahead of Maxwell.

lord bunberry
02-11-2019, 01:55 AM
This debate reminds me of the last time we played Celtic in the semi final of the league cup. That day we went with the inferior goalkeeper in Laidlaw and it cost us the game. Rocky is by a long way the best keeper at the club. Maxwell has many redeeming qualities especially his ability to command his box and play the sweeper keeper role, but at the end of the day he doesn’t make big saves that win matches. Rocky should start tomorrow.

FilipinoHibs
02-11-2019, 02:49 AM

Poor at dealing with crises. Poor and slow distribution. Slow off line. Maxwell all good at these things and why has the goalie's shirt.

lord bunberry
02-11-2019, 03:02 AM
Poor at dealing with crises. Poor and slow distribution. Slow off line. Maxwell all good at these things and why has the goalie's shirt.
Just doesn’t make many saves though.

Stairway 2 7
02-11-2019, 03:55 AM
I like maxwell at crosses as for saving shots he's got a similar ability to me and I'm dug meat. Rocky is 3 inches taller and looks a foot taller due to positional sence.

FilipinoHibs
02-11-2019, 05:11 AM
Just doesn’t make many saves though.

There have not been many shots on target because of our defensive shape. Ryan has contributed too and Hanlon a lot steadier. When beaten unstoppable or a deflection. Don't think Rocky would have saved many if goals we have conceded since Maxwell came in and he would have contributed to oppo creating more chances.

BILLYHIBS
02-11-2019, 05:21 AM
There have not been many shots on target because of our defensive shape. Ryan has contributed too and Hanlon a lot steadier. When beaten unstoppable or a deflection. Don't think Rocky would have saved many if goals we have conceded since Maxwell came in and he would have contributed to oppo creating more chances.

Agree like punching the ball to them kicking the ball to them charging out of the box and smashing into them just generally being a calamity and Mr Fifty Pence feet it’s a no from me

We need to win and Hecky needs to keep his job

Maxwell keeps the gloves

We are already without Porto no need to throw Rocky into the mix and unsettle the defence

SChibs
02-11-2019, 05:43 PM
Maxwell doesn't make great saves...

Ozyhibby
02-11-2019, 05:49 PM
Maxwell doesn't make great saves...

You mean ‘any’ saves?
Marciano saves that every time.

hibsbollah
02-11-2019, 05:58 PM
You mean ‘any’ saves?
Marciano saves that every time.

Eh? It was point blank. Great save earlier as well, hes being hung out to dry by his defence.

SChibs
02-11-2019, 06:00 PM
The way people are talking we'd be top of the league with rocky in goals cause he would have apparently saved every goal we've conceded recently

Weegreenman
02-11-2019, 06:14 PM
He’s far too inconsistent. Absolute panic merchant at times, loses ridiculous goals at his near post but he is capable of brilliant shot stopping!

PompeyHibs
02-11-2019, 07:41 PM
Marciano is our no1
Must start next game

Joe6-2
02-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Marciano is our no1
Must start next game

Probably doesn’t want to play in front of that defence

SChibs
02-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Probably doesn’t want to play in front of that defence

I don't think he's a defensive mid anyway. His strongest position is goalkeeper.

hibsbollah
02-11-2019, 07:46 PM
Some absolute BS talked on the match thread about Maxwell. He hadn't even got set for the first, was rushing across his goal. 4th looked bad but that was a foul on the keeper 9 times out of ten.

He was hung out to dry by his defence all night. Not to blame.

Sammy7nil
02-11-2019, 07:49 PM
Some absolute BS talked on the match thread about Maxwell. He hadn't even got set for the first, was rushing across his goal. 4th looked bad but that was a foul on the keeper 9 times out of ten.

Agreed Maxwell was not the reason we lost this match.

crash
02-11-2019, 07:51 PM

He was hung out to dry by his defence all night. Not to blame.:agree:Cant believe people are even discussing the Goalie, that is the least of our problems at the moment.

Smiggy 7-0
02-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Maxwell is not the problem

Hermit Crab
02-11-2019, 08:09 PM
Maxwell the new scapegoat? Horrendous chat.

Joe6-2
02-11-2019, 08:32 PM
I don't think he's a defensive mid anyway. His strongest position is goalkeeper.

Oops

Nevi_SOL
02-11-2019, 08:32 PM
Maxwell the new scapegoat? Horrendous chat.

You joking? He dropped the ball from a corner and that is only the beginning.

hibbysam
03-11-2019, 09:50 AM

Floppy hands. Didn’t need set for the first, he just had to get a strong hand on it and never, and defending him for the 4th is incredible, it’s not a foul, he’s got a free catch for a man who is ‘excellent at commanding his box’ and he dropped it straight to brown. At least he can kick the ball straight to Doidge’s head though.

GaryOsCheerios
03-11-2019, 10:12 AM
He reminds me a bit of Nick Colgan in that he never makes any memorable saves but is steady enough.

4th goal would normally have been a foul.

Ozyhibby
04-11-2019, 07:55 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191104/4a4cdc420780ffff0178aee5a7df17b3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191104/0c48e8e5018030e8f08f8d6404d2ad21.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191104/30d43daf4f309a6db4c5aa65ca7a65cf.png

SickBoy32
04-11-2019, 10:00 AM
The new manager will rightly reinstate Marciano as his no.1

Maxwell doesn’t make saves.

Ozyhibby
04-11-2019, 10:03 AM
The new manager will rightly reinstate Marciano as his no.1

Maxwell doesn’t make saves.

Yip. He’s the new Mark Oxley.

hibee-boys
04-11-2019, 11:45 AM
Granted, Maxwell is better at coming to collect cross balls and he's not made any big howlers. However, call me old fashioned but I like my goalkeepers to stop goals, can't recall him making a save that I wouldn't expect my local amateur sides goalkeeper to make.

hibbysam
04-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Granted, Maxwell is better at coming to collect cross balls and he's not made any big howlers. However, call me old fashioned but I like my goalkeepers to stop goals, can't recall him making a save that I wouldn't expect my local amateur sides goalkeeper to make.

That 4th goal on Saturday is as big a howler as your likely to see. Straight forward catch dropped straight to Brown and conceded a goal.

roo62
04-11-2019, 12:18 PM
That 4th goal on Saturday is as big a howler as your likely to see. Straight forward catch dropped straight to Brown and conceded a goal.

Hopefully the caretaker manager puts Rocky back in Saturday,if for nothing more than we risk losing him in Jan. Maxwell is just OK. Rocky has more about him and is a permanent signing. Too risky to leave him out much longer.

RossScott1991
04-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Posted this thread before the game and haven’t changed my
mind. Many disagree which is fine , i just think rocky is easily better out the two. I didn’t start this thread after the match to use maxwell as a scapegoat. We would have got beat regardless,

Baader
04-11-2019, 12:21 PM
Hopefully thecaretaker manager puts Rocky back in if for nothing more than welisk losing him in Jan. Maxwell is just OK. Rocky has more about him and is a permanent signing. Too risky to leave him out much longer.

Agree. Maxwell is alright but Rocky is the better keeper. The goalkeeping selection for me sums up Heckingbottom as a coach - he has to select one from two and still manages to get it wrong.

Northernhibee
04-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Yip. He’s the new Mark Oxley.

Mark Oxley was an OK keeper who was vilified by people who had no understanding about the game whatsoever.

Your comparison of Maxwell and Oxley is perfect.

Shrekko
04-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Mark Oxley was an OK keeper who was vilified by people who had no understanding about the game whatsoever.

Maxwell, apart from his mistake on Saturday has generally commanded his box very well and takes cross balls very well. Oxley was general rooted to his line when crosses came in and wasn’t a good enough shot stopper (like Rocky) to compensate for that.

With regards the current debate tho- it’s almost inconceivable for anyone to not say that Maxwell does the basics far better than Marciano but Rocky is easily the better shot stopper. It’s a 50-50 call for me and Rocky deserved to be dropped when he was - lost far too many bad goals this season and was flapping too much also.

lord bunberry
04-11-2019, 12:52 PM
It’s probably our least problematic position right now as they’re both good goalkeepers with different qualities, but for me Rocky can be a match winner with the big saves he makes.

Ozyhibby
04-11-2019, 01:02 PM

Does that include Stubbs who eventually dropped him because he could not cope in the Scottish championship?

jacomo
04-11-2019, 01:05 PM
I think it’s best that we wait until January, clear out Rocky and Flo, and only then address the managerial issue.

Honestly Hibs, you are just delaying the inevitable here, and increasing the potential pain.