PDA

View Full Version : Boozer near usher hall to watch semi

OstKurve Hibs
01-11-2019, 03:27 PM
Oright folks, going to pink Floyd tribute gig at usher hall tomorrow, cant make the game and the gig due to the daft kick off time,

Can anyone recommend a pub near the usher hall that will be showing it ?

Onceinawhile
01-11-2019, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't recommend it as such, but Shakespeare's which is pretty much next door should have it on.

Failing that, the chanter on bread street or possibly the blue blazer (across from there) should all have it on.

WeeRussell
01-11-2019, 03:30 PM
Oright folks, going to pink Floyd tribute gig at usher hall tomorrow, cant make the game and the gig due to the daft kick off time,

Can anyone recommend a pub near the usher hall that will be showing it ?

Footlights could be a shout.. if there's not a German game on at the same time that they're showing instead :wink:

vahibbie
01-11-2019, 03:41 PM
Mathers, West End.

Iggy Pope
01-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Pink Floyd? Woah, how far are we regressing?

eastterrace
01-11-2019, 09:29 PM

Can anyone recommend a pub near the usher hall that will be showing it ? definitely the Shakespeare , also food decent.

calumhibee1
01-11-2019, 09:31 PM
Mathers, West End.

I've always had it in my head that was a Hearts pub?

Iggy Pope
01-11-2019, 09:34 PM

It’s painted like one but I go there before derbies and it’s basically just a boozer.

Carheenlea
01-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Don’t bother with Bennett’s.. We went in there to watch Scotland v England before a Kraftwerk gig at Usher Hall, and they said sniffly that they don’t usually show football but realised there was a big game on and agreed to show it but with volume muted. The whole pub was up on the floor celebrating Griffiths’ second free kick with staff running about demanding everyone sat back down. An odd, and very unwelcoming pub, and subsequently have never been back.

hibby rae
01-11-2019, 10:12 PM
Sports bar in Teviot (you don't need to be a student) might be a shout, watcched Hibs games there in the past. £3 pints and probs won't be full of folk claiming to be 'Celic' fans. Of not, Doctors is near by.

stuart-farquhar
01-11-2019, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=OstKurve Hibs;5973624]Oright folks, going to pink Floyd tribute gig at usher hall tomorrow, cant make the game and the gig due to the daft kick off time,

Can anyone recommend a pub near the usher hall that will be showing it ?[/QUOTE

It's not a daft kick off time.
Just your priority to watch a tribute band.

tamig
01-11-2019, 10:14 PM

We went in there after The Cup win. About 15 of us. Had a few rounds and sang a few songs. The barman got arsey and we decided to leave. We were planning to stay for a few more pints but the attitude was honking. None of us have been back since.

IberianHibernian
01-11-2019, 10:17 PM
I've always had it in my head that was a Hearts pub?In the last ten years I think I`ve only been in Mathers West End twice both times after winter Derbies at Tynecastle . Both times the pub was nearly empty and both times the few folk ( only 4 or 5 ) were definitely Hibernian fans who had probably not been to a Hibs match home or away for many years but definitely had our club in their blood ( knew a lot of songs I learnt in the Cave in the 60s / 70s for example ) . Any pub in the centre of Edinburgh will be used by office workers and tourists etc and on match days at Tynecastle no doubt some Hearts fans have a drink on way to match but historically it`s certainly not a Hearts pub if such a thing exists outside of Gorgie .

Clarence
01-11-2019, 10:26 PM
Footlights or the Chanter on Bread Street are probably the best options nearby.

Clarence
01-11-2019, 10:28 PM

I have it on good authority the Pink Floyd are progressive rather than regressive.

FilipinoHibs
02-11-2019, 04:55 AM

I saw the real one in 1974 at the Usher Hall. Hibs had a great team then.

OstKurve Hibs
02-11-2019, 06:26 AM
Cheers for the info folks, much appreciated,

Iggy Pope
02-11-2019, 09:03 AM
I have it on good authority the Pink Floyd are progressive rather than regressive.

Ah, that’s good. Like it.

SideBurns
02-11-2019, 09:28 AM
In the last ten years I think I`ve only been in Mathers West End twice both times after winter Derbies at Tynecastle . Both times the pub was nearly empty and both times the few folk ( only 4 or 5 ) were definitely Hibernian fans who had probably not been to a Hibs match home or away for many years but definitely had our club in their blood ( knew a lot of songs I learnt in the Cave in the 60s / 70s for example ) . Any pub in the centre of Edinburgh will be used by office workers and tourists etc and on match days at Tynecastle no doubt some Hearts fans have a drink on way to match but historically it`s certainly not a Hearts pub if such a thing exists outside of Gorgie .

Ma auld man drank in Mathers for about 50 years. He'd be birlin' in his grave to hear it called a Herts pub!

Aa you say, inevitably it attracts Jambos prior to home games but the ones I've known who have frequented the establishment over the years are for the most part good lads.

calumhibee1
02-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Ok. Maybe it’s not a Hearts boozer then :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
02-11-2019, 09:44 AM

Nah, drank in there regularly for ten years when I worked at the West End decent boozer and certainly not a Hearts pub.