PDA

View Full Version : So which teams are most likely for relegation to the Championship?

theonlywayisup
01-11-2019, 07:06 AM
That's us played every team in the SPFL. From what you've seen, which teams are most likely for relegation to the Championship?

I've made this poll multiple choice as obviously two teams could be relegated - one automatically and one via the play-offs. If you think only one team will get relegated, only choose one. If two, then choose two. Don't be a numpty and choose more than two. :greengrin

I've restricted the candidates to all SPFL teams, apart from the current top five, as I think they've shown that they're more than capable of winning games.

The values in brackets is the current goal difference, as that can be a good indicator of who's struggling to compete. Interesting points to note:

St Mirren at the bottom have only conceded 11 goals to date (i.e. one per game on average), but scored only 5 - if they could just start scoring goals, they could climb the league pretty quick.
Hibs - one win in 15 games and that was against St Mirren at home at the start of the season.
Hertz - one win in 19 games and that was in the Derby

loanheadhibby
01-11-2019, 07:22 AM
That's us played every team in the SPFL. From what you've seen, which teams are most likely for relegation to the Championship?

I've made this poll multiple choice as obviously two teams could be relegated - one automatically and one via the play-offs. If you think only one team will get relegated, only choose one. If two, then choose two. Don't be a numpty and choose more than two. :greengrin

I've restricted the candidates to all SPFL teams, apart from the current top five, as I think they've shown that they're more than capable of winning games.

The values in brackets is the current goal difference, as that can be a good indicator of who's struggling to compete. Interesting points to note:

St Mirren at the bottom have only conceded 11 goals to date (i.e. one per game on average), but scored only 5 - if they could just start scoring goals, they could climb the league pretty quick.
Hibs - one win in 15 games and that was against St Mirren at home at the start of the season.
Hertz - one win in 19 games and that was in the Derby

Relegation is a distinct possibility however it is the play off which I would fear.

jeffers
01-11-2019, 07:50 AM
If we stick with Heckingbottom I can see us bottom two, not quite at Butcher or Duffy levels yet but it’s starting to feel that way. I just hope we don’t leave it too late getting rid of him as we did with Duffy.

Steve20
01-11-2019, 07:51 AM
St Mirren will most likely finish bottom. It'll be between us, Hamilton and I could see Ross County eventually struggling for the playoff. Hearts would have been in that mix if Levein had stayed but not now. Our awful decision to leave Heckingbottom will risk us being in the playoffs.

Since90+2
01-11-2019, 07:52 AM
If we stick with Heckingbottom I can see us bottom two, not quite at Butcher or Duffy levels yet but it’s starting to feel that way. I just hope we don’t leave it too late getting rid of him as we did with Duffy.

If we lose our next two games, which is a distinct possibility, then he will be gone imo.

jeffers
01-11-2019, 07:59 AM
If we lose our next two games, which is a distinct possibility, then he will be gone imo.

Not a go at you but there have been numerous posts like this in the past month or so, the last number setting a points target for our last three games. I can’t remember a single poster suggesting three out of a possible nine was acceptable but that’s all we got and he’s still here.

FilipinoHibs
01-11-2019, 08:19 AM
Not a go at you but there have been numerous posts like this in the past month or so, the last number setting a points target for our last three games. I can’t remember a single poster suggesting three out of a possible nine was acceptable but that’s all we got and he’s still here.

He will get to the winter break. If we are still in the relegation/play off zone he will be gone. I would imagine succession planning well under way.

calumhibee1
01-11-2019, 08:21 AM
Would be interesting to see the results on another teams forums. I’d suspect we’d be nowhere near one of the favourites like we are on here.

I went for St Mirren and St Mirren only. Reckon Hamilton will stay up via the playoffs.

WhileTheChief..
01-11-2019, 08:24 AM
^^Only because other team's fans haven't seen us play week in, week out :wink:

calumhibee1
01-11-2019, 08:27 AM
^^Only because other team's fans haven't seen us play week in, week out :wink:

Or by the same token, because they’ve seen their own teams play week in week out.

The bookies, who will take a more impartial view of the situation, have us odds on for top 6!

we are hibs
01-11-2019, 08:32 AM
Really does depend if the managers moved on and when. Its already way over due and any longer and the next manager could have a bit of a mountain to climb in terms of squad confidence. You also have to chuck into the mix we have players like Vela and Newell who are on longer term contracts but look like we will get very little in return. That means players need signed in january and we wont have much wriggle room in terms of wages.

Only thing i know for sure is that we need another big january window. 2018 we did well. 2019 we did alright. But this current squad isnt good enough at the minute and we still have a lack of depth/quality in key areas.

Paisley Hibby
01-11-2019, 08:33 AM

Butcher lost it because he was a crap manager AND an utter cock who fell out with or terrorised the squad. I don't think that applies to Heck, he's more likely to just bore us all to death.

MrSmith
01-11-2019, 08:35 AM
Definitely us!

If we don't get automatically relegated via bottom position, we will falter in the play offs. It's dire being a hibee right now. Watch the jumbos kick on now with their new management team when they arrive.

We need rid of our incumbent now before it is too late.

WeeRussell
01-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Or by the same token, because they’ve seen their own teams play week in week out.

The bookies, who will take a more impartial view of the situation, have us odds on for top 6!

Mental.

cabbageandribs1875
01-11-2019, 11:27 AM
the paisley buddies

Beefster
01-11-2019, 11:42 AM

I admire your positivity but it must be dented slightly? I could be misremembering but I was under the impression you said his time was up if he didn’t take 4 or 6 points from home games against Ross County and Livingston.

makaveli1875
01-11-2019, 11:45 AM
St Mirren bottom , between Hamilton and us for Secondbottom

The 90+2
01-11-2019, 11:46 AM
St Mirren bottom , between Hamilton and us for Secondbottom

St Mirren don’t concede many goals, they will pick up enough points at home I reckon.

Sir David Gray
01-11-2019, 11:55 AM

I've no idea why that would be the case.

Any team that's gone through almost half a season's worth of games and only won once really should have no chance of finishing anywhere near the top 6.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2019, 11:56 AM
My god it was worth all our patience so we could scrap out another relegation battle.

calumhibee1
01-11-2019, 11:56 AM
I admire your positivity but it must be dented slightly? I could be misremembering but I was under the impression you said his time was up if he didn’t take 4 or 6 points from home games against Ross County and Livingston.

I did. I reckon his time is up. I still don’t think we’ll go down though and I don’t even think we’ll be that close. I don’t agree with the bookies having us odds on for top 6 by the way, was just an observation that I reckon Hibs fans are probably more pessimistic about our chances than anyone else.

ABZHFC
01-11-2019, 11:58 AM
I'd be surprised if we didn't finish top six this season, genuinely

Smartie
01-11-2019, 11:58 AM
We’ll do the business in January that should have been done in the summer and pull well clear.

Any “one in, one out” nonsense and we’ll be in deep trouble.

If Hecky gets a grip or we change manager to someone who plays to the players’ strengths, we should get top 6, if not higher.

hfc rd
01-11-2019, 12:04 PM
Can’t vote via the phone but at this moment in time, I’d say ourselves & St Mirren.

Our form since the split last season is relegation form and based on the performances so far this season, it doesn’t look like changing.

Heckingbottom needs sacked pronto but the board seem to think differently....

The 90+2
01-11-2019, 12:08 PM
I'd be surprised if we didn't finish top six this season, genuinely

Where do you see our next victory coming from? St Mirren away at the end of November could happen. In the league here’s our fixtures before the end of the year:

St Johnstone away
Motherwell home
St Mirren away
Killie home
Ross county away
Aberdeen home
Celtic away
Rangers home
Hearts away
Livi away

I genuinely can’t see us getting any more than 6 points from 33 on offer. We are four behind Livi in sixth as it is 8 behind Killie in fifth.

worcesterhibby
01-11-2019, 12:08 PM
Butcher lost it because he was a crap manager AND an utter cock who fell out with or terrorised the squad. I don't think that applies to Heck, he's more likely to just bore us all to death.

eloquent :greengrin

ekhibee
01-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Well I would hope Heckingbottom is gone before the January transfer window, he's already done enough damage as it is. I think it's a given we'll be in a relegation battle if he stays beyond that.

ABZHFC
01-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Where do you see our next victory coming from? St Mirren away at the end of November could happen. In the league here’s our fixtures before the end of the year:

St Johnstone away
Motherwell home
St Mirren away
Killie home
Ross county away
Aberdeen home
Celtic away
Rangers home
Hearts away
Livi away

I genuinely can’t see us getting any more than 6 points from 33 on offer. We are four behind Livi in sixth as it is 8 behind Killie in fifth.

I could see us getting wins against St Johnstone away, St Mirren away, Ross County away and Aberdeen at home.

Performances are not the problem, most weeks we have one half where we actually play very good stuff, replicate that in both halves and we'll be absolutely fine

hongkonghibee
01-11-2019, 12:32 PM

St Johnstone away
Motherwell home
St Mirren away
Killie home
Ross county away
Aberdeen home
Celtic away
Rangers home
Hearts away
Livi away

yes. i think 6 points too with PH in charge. optimistically 8 points. With uninspiring football to watch. Depressing. Im usually always predicting Hibs do better than we actually do, which is even more scary a thought.

eezyrider
01-11-2019, 12:35 PM

The bookies also take into account the weight of money they've been taking in for each team. So if more people bet that we'll make the top 6 the odds shorten.

EZ

The 90+2
01-11-2019, 03:12 PM
I could see us getting wins against St Johnstone away, St Mirren away, Ross County away and Aberdeen at home.

Performances are not the problem, most weeks we have one half where we actually play very good stuff, replicate that in both halves and we'll be absolutely fine

I’ve no idea how you can see that but fair enough that’s your viewpoint. Even three wins, making it four wins this season when it comes to the winter break will be nowhere near good enough for top six or to be close even.

The 90+2
01-11-2019, 03:13 PM
yes. i think 6 points too with PH in charge. optimistically 8 points. With uninspiring football to watch. Depressing. Im usually always predicting Hibs do better than we actually do, which is even more scary a thought.

I’m being optimistic with six points. I think the law of averages means we will win a game and maybe draw one or two.

eastcoasthibby
01-11-2019, 04:01 PM
If we only manage 4 wins total by the break that's straight relegation form cos the teams in the same position at this stage have shown the potential except at mirren and Hertz to win games ...Hertz will get a boost with a new manager so it leaves us and st mirren ..with the "clown prince of its not my fault, I just signed the players and pick the team every week" at the helm, the future isn't looking good.

Sioux
01-11-2019, 04:26 PM
I’m being optimistic with six points. I think the law of averages means we will win a game and maybe draw one or two.

Over the next 10 games, the law of averages, based on this season so far, should give us approx 1 win, 6 draws and 4 defeats. If we take the last six games, we get a different answer. Do you know what the law of averages means? Obviously not.

Sir David Gray
01-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Can’t vote via the phone but at this moment in time, I’d say ourselves & St Mirren.

Our form since the split last season is relegation form and based on the performances so far this season, it doesn’t look like changing.

Heckingbottom needs sacked pronto but the board seem to think differently....

Change the site from mobile view to desktop view at the bottom of the page and then you'll be able to vote.

HappyAsHellas
01-11-2019, 05:06 PM
I think Ross Co will go down as their defence is arguably worse than ours. St Mirren will probably survive due to home form and being tricky to beat. We can draw our way out of trouble but that's about as good as it will get from what we've witnessed so far. Saying it's depressing doesn't even come close as a slight improvement over last season would have seen us clear in third place by now. Hecky might not get us relegated but that's it, and how the board fail to see this is utterly beyond comprehension.

The 90+2
01-11-2019, 06:14 PM
Over the next 10 games, the law of averages, based on this season so far, should give us approx 1 win, 6 draws and 4 defeats. If we take the last six games, we get a different answer. Do you know what the law of averages means? Obviously not.

I meant the one win smartarse.

theonlywayisup
01-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Went for Hamilton - surely their luck will run out.

Think St Mirren will get their act sorted soon; same with Hertz. Who knows about Hibs!

Fife-Hibee
01-11-2019, 08:33 PM
I really hope we're not relying on Hamilton. They always pull through when it matters.

Not In The Know
02-11-2019, 08:44 AM

St Johnstone away
Motherwell home
St Mirren away
Killie home
Ross county away
Aberdeen home
Celtic away
Rangers home
Hearts away
Livi away

if we don’t pickup 4-6 points in our next 3 games i genuinely think with heck in charge we will be bottom at the end of the year.

Cataplana
02-11-2019, 09:16 AM
What do the bookies say?

theonlywayisup
24-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Getting interesting at the bottom.

St. Johnstone, Hamilton, St. Mirren and Hertz all on 11 points.

Two behind are Livingston, with Ross County now three points from the bottom. We're start to move up the table, but only four points from the bottom.

Pretty interesting!

Dashing Bob S
24-11-2019, 07:54 PM
Not a chance Hibs will be relegated under Jack Ross.

Weegreenman
24-11-2019, 08:03 PM
I don’t think we’ll be dragged into a relegation battle but if we don’t start being more solid at the back, we could quite easily find ourselves down there.

jacomo
24-11-2019, 08:24 PM
I don’t think we’ll be dragged into a relegation battle but if we don’t start being more solid at the back, we could quite easily find ourselves down there.

Far from out of the woods yet, although far more reasons to feel positive.

What is really depressing is that we have less than half the points of the leaders. Already well adrift from the sharp end of the table.

theonlywayisup
14-12-2019, 06:39 AM
Big game today in the relegation battle. Both Hertz and St. Johnstone on 12 points meet today at Tiny. I would expect Hertz to win with the new manager in place.

Keith_M
14-12-2019, 09:09 AM
I have a feeling that the 25% that voted for Hibs would vote very differently now.

It's amazing the difference that dumping a crap manager can make.

erin go bragh
14-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Big game today in the relegation battle. Both Hertz and St. Johnstone on 12 points meet today at Tiny. I would expect Hertz to win with the new manager in place.
Squeaky bum time at the PBS . A win for St Johnstone and the German Michael McIntyre will be under pressure already.
🤞

theonlywayisup
14-12-2019, 06:33 PM

Oooops, got today's result wrong.

Another relegation battle next week with Hertz playing bottom of the table Hamilton. I would expect Hertz to win with the new manager in place.

Joe6-2
14-12-2019, 06:38 PM

Another relegation battle next week with Hertz playing bottom of the table Hamilton at Tiny. I would expect Hertz to win with the new manager in place.

👍

porthibbie
14-12-2019, 06:44 PM

Another relegation battle next week with Hertz playing bottom of the table Hamilton at Tiny. I would expect Hertz to win with the new manager in place.:wink:

I think they are at Hamilton next week , I will bet on Home win.

theonlywayisup
30-12-2019, 07:21 AM
Thought I would resurrect this thread to see how posters views have changed.

There's now a 5 point gap at the bottom which has broken the bottom place rotation we had a few weeks ago. Amazing to think that five weeks ago we had St. Johnstone, Hamilton, St. Mirren and Hertz all on 11 points, with Livingston two behind and Ross County three points from the bottom. It highlights the relegation form of the Hertz team over the last few weeks. It doesn't get any easier for them either as their fixtures are probably the hardest of the bottom four teams.

Next seven games for Hertz are:

Ross County (A)
The Rangers (H)
St Johnstone (A)
Killie (H)
Celtic (A)
Hamilton (H)
St Mirren (A)

For Hamilton:

Hibs (A)
Livingston (H)
Celtic (H)
St Mirren (A)
Aberdeen (H)
Hertz (A)
Motherwell (H)

For St Mirren:

The Rangers (A)
Aberdeen (H)
Hibs (A)
Hamilton (H)
Livingston (A)
Motherwell (A)
Hertz (H)

For St Johnstone:

Livingston (A)
Killie (H)
Celtic (H) - game in hand, hence why included eight games for St. J.
Hertz (H)
Aberdeen (A)
Motherwell (H)
Ross County (A)
The Rangers (H)

Sir David Gray
30-12-2019, 07:54 AM
Thought I would resurrect this thread to see how posters views have changed.

There's now a 5 point gap at the bottom which has broken the bottom place rotation we had a few weeks ago. Amazing to think that five weeks ago we had St. Johnstone, Hamilton, St. Mirren and Hertz all on 11 points, with Livingston two behind and Ross County three points from the bottom. It highlights the relegation form of the Hertz team over the last few weeks. It doesn't get any easier for them either as their fixtures are probably the hardest of the bottom four teams.

Next seven games for Hertz are:

Ross County (A)
The Rangers (H)
St Johnstone (A)
Killie (H)
Celtic (A)
Hamilton (H)
St Mirren (A)

For Hamilton:

Hibs (A)
Livingston (H)
Celtic (H)
St Mirren (A)
Aberdeen (H)
Hertz (A)
Motherwell (H)

For St Mirren:

The Rangers (A)
Aberdeen (H)
Hibs (A)
Hamilton (H)
Livingston (A)
Motherwell (A)
Hertz (H)

For St Johnstone:

Livingston (A)
Killie (H)
Celtic (H) - game in hand, hence why included eight games for St. J.
Hertz (H)
Aberdeen (A)
Motherwell (H)
Ross County (A)
The Rangers (H)

I'd say Hearts possibly have the easiest fixtures from those next 7 games. Apart from Celtic and Rangers, their other 5 games are against the other sides currently in the bottom 6.

Of course if they don't pick up a few wins from those 5 games then they really will be in bother but I would say that's not a bad run of fixtures coming up, bar the obvious two exceptions.

calumhibee1
30-12-2019, 08:10 AM

Doesn’t look like the bookies were that crazy after all :greengrin

calumhibee1
30-12-2019, 08:13 AM
I'd say Hearts possibly have the easiest fixtures from those next 7 games. Apart from Celtic and Rangers, their other 5 games are against the other sides currently in the bottom 6.

Of course if they don't pick up a few wins from those 5 games then they really will be in bother but I would say that's not a bad run of fixtures coming up, bar the obvious two exceptions.

:agree:

They definitely don’t have a run any more difficult than the teams around them imo.

Thing is though, for any team who’s 5 points behind in last place, every game is difficult, whether it’s Hamilton at home or Celtic away. I’d revise my initial guess and say Hearts to go down and RC to fall into the play offs but survive.

theonlywayisup
30-12-2019, 08:22 AM

I can see where you are coming from, but this is a Hertz team that's won only two league games since the 30th March. Their recent record is appalling and I don't think any team would worry about going to Tiny. Ross County and St Johnstone away will be tough for them as both teams are capable of good performances. The crucial games will be against equally poor Killie and Hamilton teams. Yes, they could win both but their recent record won't give them much confidence.

Sir David Gray
30-12-2019, 08:27 AM
I can see where you are coming from, but this is a Hertz team that's won only two league games since the 30th March. Their recent record is appalling and I don't think any team would worry about going to Tiny. Ross County and St Johnstone away will be tough for them as both teams are capable of good performances. The crucial games will be against equally poor Killie and Hamilton teams. Yes, they could win both but their recent record won't give them much confidence.

I know what you are saying, the games they have coming up won't necessarily result in many points because of their inability to win games.

However the other sides you have quoted have more games coming up against sides currently in the top 6 than Hearts have and I would say that makes Hearts' run of fixtures a bit easier although it won't necessarily result in them picking up any more points.

Eyrie
30-12-2019, 10:47 AM
Hamilton and St Mirren have the advantage that a draw with Hearts is a good result given the five point gap, whilst Hearts need to win at least one of those two games to start closing the gap.

theonlywayisup
22-01-2020, 02:25 PM
Huge game today for relegation threatened Hertz, already marooned at the bottom of the league and without a league win outside of Edinburgh for over 10 months.

Have the Jambos turned the corner and will start to drag the other teams in the bottom six closer to them.

Alternatively, teams like Ross County must see the game against Hertz as a great opportunity to widen the gap to an insurmountable level - a Ross County win would put them 11 points ahead of the leagues basement team. Whereas a Hertz win closes the gap between the teams to only 5 points. Everyone is making this out as a huge game for Hertz, but it's also huge for Ross County.

calumhibee1
22-01-2020, 02:29 PM
Huge game today for relegation threatened Hertz, already marooned at the bottom of the league and without a league win outside of Edinburgh for over 10 months.

Have the Jambos turned the corner and will start to drag the other teams in the bottom six closer to them.

Alternatively, teams like Ross County must see the game against Hertz as a great opportunity to widen the gap to an insurmountable level - a Ross County win would put them 11 points ahead of the leagues basement team. Whereas a Hertz win closes the gap between the teams to only 5 points. Everyone is making this out as a huge game for Hertz, but it's also huge for Ross County.

A defeattonight then they’re in big trouble. Another defeat at the weekend to Rangers which is almost a cert will see them on 23 games and still as far behind if not further. 15 games would be left and they’d probably have to pick up at least 20 points - 8 wins, 2 draws and 5 defeats -, possibly even more when they’d have only picked up 13 in 23 (if they lose tonight and Sunday).

They need a win tonight and a win against St J imo as the teams around them will start to pick up points quicker than they have been at the business end of the season - they do it every year.

Mon the county.

ABZHFC
22-01-2020, 02:51 PM
I’ve no idea how you can see that but fair enough that’s your viewpoint. Even three wins, making it four wins this season when it comes to the winter break will be nowhere near good enough for top six or to be close even.

3/4 weren't bad :na na:

Centre Hawf
22-01-2020, 03:05 PM
I still have a bad feeling that they're going to sneak out of trouble in time, but then again people would have said the same about us when we went down.

vercol36
22-01-2020, 03:07 PM
They've got Donis Avadgy now. He's scored 5 million goals in his career, won the Champions League single-handedly and sh*gged Ronaldo's missus. I think they're going to be fine.

theonlywayisup
15-02-2020, 07:42 AM
Now it's looking like pick any one (or two) from four teams.

Hearts next five games are Hamilton (H), St Mirren (A), Hibs (A), Motherwell (H) and Ross County (H).

Easily the easiest run of the bottom three, I think.

St Mirren have to play both of the Old Firm plus St Johnstone and Livingston. Hamilton have to play The Rangers plus Ross County, Killie and Motherwell. Ross County also have to play The Rangers plus Hamilton, Aberdeen and Motherwell.

You could say that playing Hearts is the easiest game that Hamilton, Ross County and St Mirren will have.

Sir David Gray
15-02-2020, 08:56 AM

Hearts next five games are Hamilton (H), St Mirren (A), Hibs (A), Motherwell (H) and Ross County (H).

St Mirren have to play both of the Old Firm plus St Johnstone and Livingston. Hamilton have to play The Rangers plus Ross County, Killie and Motherwell. Ross County also have to play The Rangers plus Hamilton, Aberdeen and Motherwell.

You could say that playing Hearts is the easiest game that Hamilton, Ross County and St Mirren will have.

The problem Hearts have is that they begin that run bottom of the league and there's no margin for error. Their result at Parkhead has also wiped out any advantage they had over Hamilton in terms of goal difference and it's already a lot worse than St Mirren's.

I'd be surprised if they caught Ross County, 7 points is a lot to make up at this stage of the season. I think bottom spot is between Hearts, Hamilton and St Mirren.

If Hearts lose today then they're gone.

theonlywayisup
15-02-2020, 09:36 AM
The problem Hearts have is that they begin that run bottom of the league and there's no margin for error. Their result at Parkhead has also wiped out any advantage they had over Hamilton in terms of goal difference and it's already a lot worse than St Mirren's.

I'd be surprised if they caught Ross County, 7 points is a lot to make up at this stage of the season. I think bottom spot is between Hearts, Hamilton and St Mirren.

If Hearts lose today then they're gone.

I think all three relegation rivals will be targeting their game against Hearts as their cup final. Win that and the gap will get wider and much harder to close.

Pass the popcorn!!

Keith_M
15-02-2020, 10:14 AM
21% voted Hibs

MWHIBBIES
15-02-2020, 10:20 AM
21% voted Hibs

So funny. We were never in any threat. Just had to get going and get a bit of luck.

This place was utterly toxic at the time, as bad as I've seen it.

theonlywayisup
15-02-2020, 10:42 AM
So funny. We were never in any threat. Just had to get going and get a bit of luck.

Maybe, but had we stuck with Heckingbottom I'm not convinced that we would be where we are now. Heckingbottom was clueless as a Hibs manager.

Sir David Gray
15-02-2020, 10:48 AM

I've just noticed that you have Hearts playing Ross County in their next 5 games when they don't, their 5th fixture is actually away to Livingston. You have also quoted Hearts' next 5 fixtures but only the next 4 fixtures for every other team so I've had a look at those fixtures and here's the points totals for each team the last time they played that round of fixtures;

Hearts - 4
Hamilton - 8
St Mirren - 4
Ross County - 2

The same amount of points this time around would leave the league table looking like this with just 7 games left;

Hamilton - 27
Ross County - 27
St Mirren - 26
Hearts - 22

Hearts really need a win today and then it does change things somewhat.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-02-2020, 10:51 AM
Both Hearts and Hamilton know that three points today is vital. If Hearts win, i can see them staying up, but i don't see them any higher than 10th at the end of the season.

theonlywayisup
15-02-2020, 11:00 AM
I've just noticed that you have Hearts playing Ross County in their next 5 games when they don't, their 5th fixture is actually away to Livingston.

You're right, the 5th game is against Livingston.

You have also quoted Hearts' next 5 fixtures but only the next 4 fixtures for every other team.

I didn't mention the 5th as I've already mentioned that Hearts play them all earlier in the post.

However, made a James Hunt of it by saying Hearts play Ross County in their 5th game.

Sir David Gray
15-02-2020, 11:04 AM
You're right, the 5th game is against Livingston.

I didn't mention the 5th as I've already mentioned that Hearts play them all earlier in the post.

However, made a James Hunt of it by saying Hearts play Ross County in their 5th game.

Got you! :aok:

Tomsk
15-02-2020, 11:09 AM

The situation was so dire that Hibs sacked a manager who had been in place for less than 10 months. I didn't see any cause for panic but I was in no doubt that Hibs had to act decisively or were going to be in deep smelly stuff. It wasn't just pulling up their socks and waiting for a change of luck that was needed.

B.H.F.C
15-02-2020, 11:12 AM
The situation was so dire that Hibs sacked a manager who had been in place for less than 10 months. I didn't see any cause for panic but I was in no doubt that Hibs had to act decisively or were going to be in deep smelly stuff. It wasn't just pulling up their socks and waiting for a change of luck that was needed.

The only reason I wasn’t overly worried was that I knew it was only matter of time until we’d finally get rid of Heckingbottom.

If we’d kept him we were absolutely in trouble. He wasn’t just unlucky.

Smartie
15-02-2020, 11:47 AM
Heckingbottom had to go. He needed to make changes he wasn’t ever going to make.

It turns out his eye for a player wasn’t that bad but he spent the first quarter of this season playing Vela every week with Jackson and Newell on the sidelines and struggled to get service to Doidge.

It was his tactical ineptitude that was his undoing, but he left some decent players behind for Ross to work with.

He could have done with Boyle being fit right enough.

theonlywayisup
15-02-2020, 04:20 PM
Huge game between St Mirren and Hertz next Friday. If Hertz were to lose that one they would be six points behind 10th place having played one game more and have a considerably poorer goal difference. They would be seven points behind 9th place again having played a game more.

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-02-2020, 04:22 PM
The money laundering cheats 👍

hfc rd
15-02-2020, 04:24 PM
Huge game between St Mirren and Hertz next Friday. If Hertz were to lose that one they would be six points behind 10th place having played one game more and have a considerably poorer goal difference. They would be seven points behind 9th place again having played a game more.

They need a win on Friday against St Mirren. Anything less than 3 points is just pushing them even further towards the 2nd tier next season

Sir David Gray
15-02-2020, 04:26 PM

I said Hearts would be down if they got any less than 4 points from the games against Hamilton and St Mirren so if they lose to St Mirren then it's curtains.

Since90+2
15-02-2020, 04:30 PM
Hearts are genuinely favourites to go gown. They are not bottom of the league by chance in mid February - it's because they are pish and deserve to be there.

Crab apple
15-02-2020, 04:51 PM
Heckingbottom had to go. He needed to make changes he wasn’t ever going to make.

It turns out his eye got a player wasn’t that bad but he spent the first quarter of this season playing Vela every week with Jackson and Newell on the sidelines and struggled to get service to Doidge.

It was his tactical ineptitude that was his undoing, but he left some decent players behind for Ross to work with.

He could have done with Boyle being fit right enough.

100% correct. Getting rid of PH was one of the best things LD has done this season.

Crab apple
15-02-2020, 04:52 PM
I said Hearts would be down if they got any less than 4 points from the games against Hamilton and St Mirren so if they lose to St Mirren then it's curtains.

I think they'll lose on Friday.

emerald green
15-02-2020, 05:00 PM
HMFC deserve to be relegated. They are so s**** it's unbelievable.

For them to be sitting bottom of this awful league, given the financial advantages they have over most other clubs in the league, is ridiculous, but at the same time very pleasing.

04Sauzee
15-02-2020, 05:06 PM
I've just noticed that you have Hearts playing Ross County in their next 5 games when they don't, their 5th fixture is actually away to Livingston. You have also quoted Hearts' next 5 fixtures but only the next 4 fixtures for every other team so I've had a look at those fixtures and here's the points totals for each team the last time they played that round of fixtures;

Hearts - 4
Hamilton - 8
St Mirren - 4
Ross County - 2

The same amount of points this time around would leave the league table looking like this with just 7 games left;

Hamilton - 27
Ross County - 27
St Mirren - 26
Hearts - 22

Hearts really need a win today and then it does change things somewhat.
That makes me feel very warm and fuzzy

Sir David Gray
15-02-2020, 05:35 PM
Since the 2009/10 season here's the stats on how the league table has looked after 27 games and since the 13/14 season I've also included how many points and wins the bottom team would have needed to get to the complete safety of 10th place;

09/10

Bottom - Falkirk
Points - 20 (3 points adrift)
Finished - Bottom (relegated)

10/11

Bottom - Hamilton
Points - 14 (8 points adrift)

11/12

Bottom - Dunfermline
Points - 19 (goal difference)

12/13

Bottom - Dundee
Points - 17 (12 points adrift)

13/14

Bottom - Hearts*
Points - 6 (18 points adrift)
* Hearts had a 15 points deduction that season and actually ended the season picking up more points than Hibs.
10th place - 38 points and 8 wins

14/15

Bottom - St Mirren
Points - 18 (1 point adrift)
10th place - 41 points and 11 wins

15/16

Bottom - Dundee Utd
Points - 14 (14 points adrift)
10th place - 43 points and 11 wins

16/17

Bottom - Inverness
Points - 22 (2 points adrift)
10th place - 37 points and 10 wins

17/18

Bottom - Ross County
Points - 21 (2 points adrift)
10th place - 33 points and 9 wins

18/19

Bottom - St Mirren
Points - 14 (4 points adrift)
Finished - 11th (stayed up after winning the relegation play off).

19/20

Bottom - Hearts
Points - 19 (1 point adrift)
Finished - ?
10th place - Currently has only played 26 games and has 22 points and 5 wins.

They are in huge trouble and have a big fight on their hands to finish any higher than 11th.

History suggests that they'll require anywhere between 33 and 43 points to get to 10th place and need a minimum of 8 wins. For a team that only has 19 points and 3 wins from their first 27 games, I'm not sure where they're going to find at least 5 wins from in their last 11 games.

theonlywayisup
15-02-2020, 05:54 PM
Since the 2009/10 season here's the stats on how the league table has looked after 27 games and since the 13/14 season I've also included how many points and wins the bottom team would have needed to get to the complete safety of 10th place;

09/10

Bottom - Falkirk

10/11

Bottom - Hamilton

11/12

Bottom - Dunfermline

12/13

Bottom - Dundee

13/14

Bottom - Hearts*
* Hearts had a 15 points deduction that season and actually ended the season picking up more points than Hibs.

14/15

Bottom - St Mirren

15/16

Bottom - Dundee Utd

16/17

Bottom - Inverness

17/18

Bottom - Ross County

18/19

Bottom - St Mirren

19/20

Bottom - Hearts
Finished - ?

They are in huge trouble and have a big fight on their hands to finish any higher than 11th.

History suggests that they'll require anywhere between 33 and 43 points to get to 10th place and need a minimum of 8 wins. For a team that only has 19 points and 3 wins from their first 27 games, I'm not sure where they're going to find at least 5 wins from in their last 11 games.

Excellent contribution to this thread. Well researched SDG.

Since452
15-02-2020, 06:00 PM

09/10

Bottom - Falkirk

10/11

Bottom - Hamilton

11/12

Bottom - Dunfermline

12/13

Bottom - Dundee

13/14

Bottom - Hearts*

14/15

Bottom - St Mirren

15/16

Bottom - Dundee Utd

16/17

Bottom - Inverness

17/18

Bottom - Ross County

18/19

Bottom - St Mirren

19/20

Bottom - Hearts
Finished - ?

Offt. Interesting post. Doesn't bode well for the pink flumps

Col2
15-02-2020, 06:19 PM
Good analysis SDG.

The thing that surprises me is they were either bottom or a point or two away from bottom when Our Daniel took over. He has had one league win in eleven. A shocking run of form and apparently the worst start in history for a Hearts manager.

Under normal circumstances you would expect the teams around them to have got at least 5 or 6 points clear. The hope they still have is Hamilton and St Mirren are equally dog *****.

Joe6-2
15-02-2020, 06:47 PM

09/10

Bottom - Falkirk

10/11

Bottom - Hamilton

11/12

Bottom - Dunfermline

12/13

Bottom - Dundee

13/14

Bottom - Hearts*

14/15

Bottom - St Mirren

15/16

Bottom - Dundee Utd

16/17

Bottom - Inverness

17/18

Bottom - Ross County

18/19

Bottom - St Mirren

19/20

Bottom - Hearts
Finished - ?

Great work SDG

Sir David Gray
15-02-2020, 06:51 PM
Good analysis SDG.

The thing that surprises me is they were either bottom or a point or two away from bottom when Our Daniel took over. He has had one league win in eleven. A shocking run of form and apparently the worst start in history for a Hearts manager.

Under normal circumstances you would expect the teams around them to have got at least 5 or 6 points clear. The hope they still have is Hamilton and St Mirren are equally dog *****.

Yep it will give them hope and they're not gone yet but other teams that have been bottom at this stage by a similar margin in the past 10 years haven't managed to stay up.

I reckon the best they can hope for is beating the likes of Inverness or Dundee over 2 legs in a play off.

theonlywayisup
08-03-2020, 07:28 AM
Huge game on Wednesday, the Hertz away to St. Mirren. A Hertz win puts both teams level on 26 points and just one behind Hamilton and three behind Ross County.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 07:36 AM
Huge game on Wednesday, the Hertz away to St. Mirren. A Hertz win puts both teams level on 26 points and just one behind Hamilton and three behind Ross County.

Yep if Hearts lose I think they're down, if they win they'll probably stay up.

Brightside
08-03-2020, 07:38 AM
30 people went for Hibs. That’s the spirit.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 07:40 AM
30 people went for Hibs. That’s the spirit.

The majority of them probably voted when the thread started - it's been ongoing since November when we were a couple of points from the bottom.

theonlywayisup
08-03-2020, 08:01 AM
The majority of them probably voted when the thread started - it's been ongoing since November when we were a couple of points from the bottom.

Just saying.........

On the 8th March 2014, Hibs were on 33 points comfortably in 7th place.

We were:

3 points above Killie
6 points above St Mitten
7 points above Partick Thistle
7 points above Ross County
27 points above Hertz (12 points ignoring the points deduction)

If Hertz win on Wednesday, the gap to the bottom is 11 points.

Scary thought. Couldn't happen again, could it?

Heisenberg
08-03-2020, 08:08 AM
Just saying.........

We were:

3 points above Killie
6 points above St Mitten

If we continue to chuck goals in at the rate we are just now then I’ll still be worried about getting dragged into it.

calumhibee1
08-03-2020, 08:09 AM
Yep if Hearts lose I think they're down, if they win they'll probably stay up.

Yup. If they lose they’ll be 4 behind with 8 to go and with a bad habit of not being able to beat anyone that isn’t hibs or Rangers - who they hopefully won’t play again.

Waxy
08-03-2020, 08:24 AM
I can see Rangers struggling at Ross County today.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 08:26 AM
Just saying.........

We were:

3 points above Killie
6 points above St Mitten

Hopefully we can find a way of beating St Johnstone next week which I think will pretty much confirm our place in the top 6 and we won't need to worry about that.

If we lose next week then we'll definitely be looking over our shoulder although I do still think we'll have enough to avoid any relegation worries.

Keith_M
08-03-2020, 08:51 AM
Here's how the season's going to play out:

Hibs will go on a disastrous run and, with one game to go, the league placings will be as follows

10th - Hibs - 37 pts
11th - St Mirren - 35 pts
12th - Hearts - 34 pts

St Mirren get a draw in their final game, so they finish the season on 36 points

The only way Hearts can possibly survive is if they win their final game of the season... Hibs at Tynecastle.

Hibs get two players sent off and lose 4-0. Hearts overtake Hibs on goal difference.

St Mirren directly relegated.

Hibs are into the play offs....

...having just lost the Semi-Final 3-0 against Hearts...

....who go on to win the Scottish Cup against Aberdeen (who had a player sent off in the first minute of the match).

NC1875
08-03-2020, 08:52 AM

Hibs will go on a disastrous run and, with one game to go, the league placings will be as follows

10th - Hibs - 37 pts
12th - Hearts - 34 pts

St Mirren get a draw in their final game, so they finish the season on 36 points

The only way Hearts can possibly survive is if they win their final game of the season... Hibs at Tynecastle.

Hibs get two players sent off and lose 4-0. Hearts overtake Hibs on goal difference.

...having just lost the Semi-Final 3-0 against Hearts, who go on to win the Scottish Cup against Aberdeen (who had a player sent off in the first minute of the match).

You’ve just made my hangover even worse!

Keith_M
08-03-2020, 08:55 AM
You’ve just made my hangover even worse!

You're welcome.

:-)

flash
08-03-2020, 09:15 AM

10th - Hibs - 37 pts
12th - Hearts - 34 pts

...having just lost the Semi-Final 3-0 against Hearts...

....who go on to win the Scottish Cup against Aberdeen (who had a player sent off in the first minute of the match).
Probably seemed funny in your head.

Keith_M
08-03-2020, 09:27 AM
Probably seemed funny in your head.

What's funny about it?

It's pretty much the life of a Hibs Supporter.

calumhibee1
08-03-2020, 12:10 PM
Just saw a table - Hearts have been bottom of the league for 12 rounds of fixtures - more than anyone else. Hamilton and St Mirren have spent 2 and 4 down there respectively. I honestly still think they’ll struggle to get off the bottom, especially with 3 difficult away games out of 4 in the build up to the split.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go into the final 5 games after the split 5 or 6 behind against a bottom 6 who are all capable of beating each other and picking up points here and there.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Just saw a table - Hearts have been bottom of the league for 12 rounds of fixtures - more than anyone else. Hamilton and St Mirren have spent 2 and 4 down there respectively. I honestly still think they’ll struggle to get off the bottom, especially with 3 difficult away games out of 4 in the build up to the split.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go into the final 5 games after the split 5 or 6 behind against a bottom 6 who are all capable of beating each other and picking up points here and there.

They're definitely in bother. Their position worsened again yesterday as they're a further point behind the play off spot than they were before yesterday's games and they're the same amount of points away from complete safety.

I genuinely think it'll come down to the midweek game against St Mirren.

calumhibee1
08-03-2020, 12:48 PM
They're definitely in bother. Their position worsened again yesterday as they're a further point behind the play off spot than they were before yesterday's games and they're the same amount of points away from complete safety.

I genuinely think it'll come down to the midweek game against St Mirren.

3 away games - St Mirren, Livingston and Aberdeen and a home game against RC before the split. If they lose on Wednesday then I’d expect them to pick up a max of 3 points before the split. That would probably have them cut even further adrift by the time the split rolls around.

I’d love to see them bottom of the league last game of the season with Hamilton and St Mirren needing a draw and playing each other :greengrin

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 12:58 PM

3 away games - St Mirren, Livingston and Aberdeen and a home game against RC before the split. If they lose on Wednesday then I’d expect them to pick up a max of 3 points before the split. That would probably have them cut even further adrift by the time the split rolls around.

I’d love to see them bottom of the league last game of the season with Hamilton and St Mirren needing a draw and playing each other :greengrin

I don't want to sound pessimistic but I actually think their survival depends on whether we finish in the bottom 6 or not.

If we have to go to Tynecastle, I can really only see one outcome in a "must win" game for them.

If they don't have that motivation of an Edinburgh Derby to look forward to, I think they'll struggle.

Keith_M
08-03-2020, 01:14 PM
I don't want to sound pessimistic but I actually think their survival depends on whether we finish in the bottom 6 or not.

If we have to go to Tynecastle, I can really only see one outcome in a "must win" game for them.

If they don't have that motivation of an Edinburgh Derby to look forward to, I think they'll struggle.

See! Somebody agrees with me.

I'd love nothing better than Hibs being the team that finally relegated them in the last game of the season, but forty years of attending Hibs games doesn't give me any confidence of that happening.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 01:35 PM
See! Somebody agrees with me.

I'd love nothing better than Hibs being the team that finally relegated them in the last game of the season, but forty years of attending Hibs games doesn't give me any confidence of that happening.

Not quite!

I don't think we'll get relegated even if we finish in the bottom 6.

Ozyhibby
08-03-2020, 03:05 PM
Dougie Imrie has been arrested for match fixing allegedly so that could see a points deduction for Hamilton although because it’s a live legal matter it probably won’t be till next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
08-03-2020, 03:09 PM
Dougie Imrie has been arrested for match fixing allegedly so that could see a points deduction for Hamilton although because it’s a live legal matter it probably won’t be till next season.

And it referred to last season

Lancs Harp
08-03-2020, 03:11 PM
I think St Mirren will finish bottom. I think Hamilton and Hearts have more fight about them and thats what you need in a relegation battle. Hamilton also are battle hardened in relegation fights. Having said that I think Hearts will beat Hamilton to safety as far as the play off place is concerned.

Ozyhibby
08-03-2020, 03:18 PM
Wednesday is massive for the yams. If they lose they are toast.