PDA

View Full Version : Michael O’Neill

bingo70
01-11-2019, 12:48 AM
How many on here would think he’s a good manager and would be a decent option to replace Heckingbottom?

Now, who would have sacked him if they were his boss at Northern Ireland
and only won one of his first 18 matches?

I’m not saying Heckingottom will turn this around, I don’t think he will, just a wee observation for those of us that have said it’s impossible for him to turn it around as we are too far gone and past the point of no return (I’m very much including myself in that BTW)

tonyrougier123
01-11-2019, 01:34 AM
How many on here would think he’s a good manager and would be a decent option to replace Heckingbottom?

I’m not saying Heckingottom will turn this around, I don’t think he will, just a wee observation for those of us that have said it’s impossible for him to turn it around as we are too far gone and past the point of no return (I’m very much including myself in that BTW)
Hard to see it bingo,but the same thing crosses my mind.gaffers do turn it around.

I had that feeling with calderwood and fenlon,also thought mixu would come good for us.

Trying to be decisive this time around.

Internationals might take that wee bit time,get used to the players and the gaffer.long periods between camps and such.

Hibs are playing like strangers under hecky at times.and they have most days to implement strategy.

Unseen work
01-11-2019, 01:40 AM
I think it’s hard to judge with International coaches as they spend very little time with the squads.

But he’s done very well with very average players.

calumhibee1
01-11-2019, 05:41 AM

It’s a fair point but did he have the same feeling towards him from the NI fans? It’s not just a bad run he’s got to turn round, it’s the vast majority of fans aswell with a not insignificant amount having what seems like a real major dislike for him. Not sure if there was the same sort of feeling with NI and O’Neill?

The Leith Dutch
01-11-2019, 05:59 AM

I appreciate where you're coming from but it's not just the results. PH persists in picking teams and formations that struggle in ways you'd expect them to before a ball is kicked.

As an example we kicked off against a Livi side we know to be solid in midfield with 5 players who we know aren't great tackling or winning the ball.

It's also his players - he signed 10.

I'm generally in favour of giving a manager time but his is up. Even if he does start to get some results and relegation is off the table I don't think he's got it in him to challenge for 3rd / 4th every year and that's what we need from our manager.

Onion
01-11-2019, 06:07 AM
For every MON, there are dozens more who are just rotten managers. The signs that PH is just rotten are plentiful - horrible signings, lack of passion/interest, negative football, zerol fan engagement, Leeds United, poor results against awful teams.

Lennon wasn't the perfect fit for Hibs but he brought passion, toughness and flair back to the club. Heckingbottom has brought ... what ? I cannot think of one positive thing. He has sucked the life out of most fans.

JimBHibees
01-11-2019, 06:12 AM
International football is different as you only get players for a short time. Norn iron were poor when he took over and there were probably signs of improvement in early games. Listened to an interview with him and he said that one of the main reasons they improved was their discipline improved hugely as in games before at least or two of their key players were suspended for the number of bookings they had gotten. Once this was improved it meant their key EPL players were available for every match.

basehibby
01-11-2019, 06:35 AM
It’s a fair point but did he have the same feeling towards him from the NI fans? It’s not just a bad run he’s got to turn round, it’s the vast majority of fans aswell with a not insignificant amount having what seems like a real major dislike for him. Not sure if there was the same sort of feeling with NI and O’Neill?

Most Hibs fans would bite your hand off for Michael O'Neill and were mystefied as to why the board did not seem to think the same when the opportunity was there to sign him seven or so years back. His initial run with NI was judged against the very low expectations of a small nation which was on a poor run already so of course he was cut some slack - and IIRC he had some decent results early doors even if they did not include victories.

Heckingbottom never had that rep with the Hibs fans but I do not agree that most have anything personal against him. It's his record at Hibs which fans have a beef with - both in terms of results and signings - and to make things worse most have not taken to his style of play which has often been timid and pedestrian and has not yielded results.

That does not mean people would not change their minds if he turned things around - but he has given himself a mountain to climb with abysmal results like the humping at Ibrox and the dismal defeat at ER to an extremely poor Hearts side - so any turn around would need to be decisive and inarguable to get everyone back onside straight away.

HFC 0-7
01-11-2019, 06:36 AM
Completely different scenarios. 18 games are miles apart for internationals, you can’t buy players and limited time with the squad. It’s also difficult to compare to other teams at international level as it’s all about a specific talent pool. The Scottish premier league can be compared with budget. PH has bought players that haven’t produced and the players we know are more capable aren’t performing. Overlay the fact his tactics are rubbish and he does have an inability to make an impact during a match tactically. He just isn’t very good. The fact these iare the comparisons and scenarios we are trying to pose in the hope something better is around the corner is clutching at straws.

You will see an instant lift from hearts now with them sacking the manager, we are in danger of leaving things too late.

SMAXXA
01-11-2019, 06:38 AM
For every MON, there are dozens more who are just rotten managers. The signs that PH is just rotten are plentiful - horrible signings, lack of passion/interest, negative football, zerol fan engagement, Leeds United, poor results against awful teams.

Lennon wasn't the perfect fit for Hibs but he brought passion, toughness and flair back to the club. Heckingbottom has brought ... what ? I cannot think of one positive thing. He has sucked the life out of most fans.

I actually don’t think he shows a lack of passion/interest just cause he’s not like Lennon who lost control on occasions PH is daily measured and calm but I believe he cares and has shown that on occasions. I liked the passionate side of Lennon but I don’t think it’s necessarily the best way to be, or infact that big a deal as we don’t know what passion is shown behind closed doors.

Onceinawhile
01-11-2019, 03:11 PM

Aye?

There was no passion, toughness or flair under stubbs???

Some of the most turgid football we played in the championship was under lennon. How many draws was it? 15 or something?

hibee-boys
01-11-2019, 04:29 PM
He's on around 500k a year, unless he's sacked from the NI gig he'll not be the hibs manager anytime soon.

Percy Vere
01-11-2019, 04:45 PM

It’s a good point. Many managers have long periods of poor results.
If given time can turn things around. Same can go for players.
I generally like PH and still hope he can turn things round.
Still baffled why we didn’t sign at least one more striker.
Particularly Shankland.
It’s touch and go for PH but here’s hoping we see some of these close games go our way. Starting tomorrow.