PDA

View Full Version : Can players ever "be sacked"?

lyonhibs
31-10-2019, 06:56 PM
The thought occurred to me, with the background being I'm a firm believer that once played cross the white line they need to front up and show a bit of balls when the going gets tough, can players actually "get sacked" for repeated sub par performances in the same way that managers can? I mean if Hanlon started chucking ogs in all over the shop and completely looking the other way as his man made a run, or Doidge didn't try à leg, had the touch of an elephant and kept missing utterly open goals, could they be sacked for pish poor performance?

I guess in theory yes, but in practice, unlike managers, there are alternatives already contracted to the club that can step in. I'm not saying that I think any given Hibs player should be getting sacked, but is it contractually possible?

Anyone know of a football player getting effectively sacked, not for discipline or family reasons but just cos they're that *****, either at Hibs or elsewhere?

Callum_62
31-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Latapy, not pish poor performance rather just pished

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

AgentDaleCooper
31-10-2019, 07:19 PM
I think they can be paid off, or told to stay away from the club (i.e. gardening leave) like managers?

Danderhall Hibs
31-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Depends how much money they’re worth. Look at the shambles at Derby this week.

Scouse Hibee
31-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Depends how much money they’re worth. Look at the shambles at Derby this week.

But that was for disciplinary reasons, the OP is asking about purely performance. Like in the normal workplace where people can basically be performance managed out of the door.

Danderhall Hibs
31-10-2019, 07:38 PM
But that was for disciplinary reasons, the OP is asking about purely performance. Like in the normal workplace where people can basically be performance managed out of the door.

Same principal would apply though (in theory), although the practice is they just tell them they’re not wanted and release them on the last day of the window.

Too much paperwork involved in proper performance management.

Fife-Hibee
31-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Like any other job, it all comes down to contract conditions. Club boards reserve the right to terminate contracts that have been breached. So yes, technically players can be sacked. Although it doesn't happen all that often. Players that are most guilty of breaching their contracts tend to be those that know they're too valuable to a club to be given the boot.

Fife-Hibee
31-10-2019, 07:42 PM

Technically a person in any job can't simply be sacked for poor performance, unless their contract with the employer specifically outlines performance conditions that must be met.

Although, there will be many cases where people have walked from their jobs after their employer told them to, when they didn't really have to walk away at all.

Scouse Hibee
31-10-2019, 07:47 PM
Technically a person in any job can't simply be sacked for poor performance, unless their contract with the employer specifically outlines performance conditions that must be met.

Although, there will be many cases where people have walked from their jobs after their employer told them to, when they didn't really have to walk away at all.

Performance management forms part of the disciplinary procedure/process so people most certainly can be ultimately dismissed for poor performance though the process for the employer is lengthy and arduous, been there and done it as a manager.

Smartie
31-10-2019, 07:50 PM
Players can be more subtle about it.

Jack Rodwell had no intention of playing for Sunderland but was still keen to pick up his £70k per week pay packet so he'd turn up to training each day, do the absolute bare minimum, claim to be injured every Friday and get the weekend off. Technically he was keeping his side of the contract but in reality he really wasn't so there was nothing the club could do short of paying up the entirety of a very expensive contract.

I don't think anyone has ever started booting in own goals against they club, but "gardening leave" is fairly common when someone's presence is considered to be counter-productive.