PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Mallan

Anthony Soprano
31-10-2019, 11:13 AM
No idea how he continues to get in the squad, he's only useful when he's got a free shot at goal other than that I honestly don't know what he's there for, and he's played every minute so far this season. Must have some serious dirt on somebody.

Cataplana
31-10-2019, 11:17 AM
The lad doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the box. Certainly hadn't learned how to improve his game by working on defensive aspects, such as tackling.

Centre Hawf
31-10-2019, 11:20 AM
Been saying it for a months that this guy is not good enough to take us where we want to go. His all round game is far too weak to carry him in the hope he scores a goal, needs punted but I have a feeling the investment in him means we'll make sure we get our moneys worth.

The 90+2
31-10-2019, 11:22 AM
He’s a luxury player if we had a decent spine and solid midfield. He’s like Brian Kerr with a decent shot on him.

mvteng
31-10-2019, 11:24 AM
No idea how he continues to get in the squad, he's only useful when he's got a free shot at goal other than that I honestly don't know what he's there for, and he's played every minute so far this season. Must have some serious dirt on somebody.

agreed, but there is no-one else in the squad to replace him. I'd still rather have Mallan than Vela or Newell

We'[ve got he weakest squad and weakest bench in years

hibee_girl
31-10-2019, 11:24 AM
I think I could forgive him if he looked like he was making an effort in his tackling but most of the time he doesn’t even bother and when he does it’s very half hearted. It drives me mad.

makaveli1875
31-10-2019, 11:26 AM
The attributes he has dont add up to a midfielder . He'd be better playing as a striker

we are hibs
31-10-2019, 11:30 AM
His attempt at a tackle to stop their 2nd was disgraceful.

Remember when Lennon came in he spoke of boyband players? He then went and signed Mallan. The epitome of a boyband footballer. When he has time and space he will play 40 yard cross field passes, time and space he will shoot and get it on target. Slightest bit of pressure applied to him and he *****s the bed. Any 50/50 *****s the bed. Im sick of watching him.

emerald green
31-10-2019, 11:33 AM
Hibs, as a team, are generally weak and soft. Particularly in midfield, and Mallan is a part of that.

Stevie Mallan is what I call a luxury player. A team can maybe include one player like Mallan, as long as there are several hard cases, who definitely can tackle, around about him.

Hibs must address this weakness in the next transfer window, but given the mistakes made in the last window who knows if that will actually happen?

ben johnson
31-10-2019, 11:36 AM
Bizarrely he could not get into the Barnsley team under Heckingbottom
8 starts 0 goals.
Perhaps tells us a tale about our squad.

Eyrie
31-10-2019, 11:39 AM
I don't think Mallan is as bad as people say. He makes an effort to show for the ball, looks to make passes and is willing to close players down. None of these can be said about Newall or Vela.

But I don't think we can play both him and Allan in the same team as it leaves us defensively weak. The only way to play both is to have Mallan out wide, where he lacks pace and tends to drift in field.

500miles
31-10-2019, 11:41 AM
He plays well as an attacking mid. He's not got the strength or awareness to be a defensive mid or pivot player.

If Allan is a 60 minute player, Mallan has a major role.

B.H.F.C
31-10-2019, 11:51 AM
His attempted challenge at their second goal was pathetic. Seeing our second goal back, it was actually a really good ball he played through to Boyle. Those two moments probably sum him up.

SlickShoes
31-10-2019, 12:05 PM
He has never been remotely useful defensively, but he always seems to be played deep in midfield, even under lennon. It makes no sense, his main attributes are shooting/dead balls, I don't really know where he fits in but it's nowhere near the hibs end of the park.

Diclonius
31-10-2019, 12:10 PM
Mallan is really good when played further forward. Lennon and now Heckingbottom are ruining him by trying to play him deeper.

At the end of the day we can only support one of Allan or Mallan in midfield, and it's Allan every time - sorry!

Unseen work
31-10-2019, 12:10 PM
Here we go again.

Mallan is a good player. Technically he is very good for this league, his range of passing allows us to quickly change the dynamic of play and creates 1 v 1 opportunities, unfortunately we don’t have the players to exploit these.

He always shows for the ball, makes these difficult passes, takes the long range shots and set pieces despite getting dogs abuse for the best part of a year.

He’s not going to bomb about making slide tackles but his discipline has improved massively in the defensive midfielder role, something which he had not played before last season.

For whatever reason some of our fans just can’t stand him. If Scott Allan done some of the stuff Mallan did people would be in awe, if Mallan gave possession away as cheaply as Scotty does regularly he would be slated.

We need players in the team that help guys like him and Allan, not ask them to change their game as then we become weak and don’t see the best out of them.

FWIW I always thought he would become very good if he was played similar to how Kris Commons was at Celtic.

Hibee Mac
31-10-2019, 12:23 PM
He's an absolute liability, I've never taken to him because he jogs about midfield barking orders and moaning yet he never gets stuck in himself.

Guarantee he's like the guy at 5s who blames everyone else and it's never his fault, there's always one...

Since452
31-10-2019, 12:29 PM
I just wish he'd confirm if it was Stevie Mallan, Mallon or Mallen then we could all move on

The 90+2
31-10-2019, 12:32 PM
I just wish he'd confirm if it was Stevie Mallan, Mallon or Mallen then we could all move on

Is that all it would take for someone to buy him?

J-C
31-10-2019, 12:32 PM
Here we go again.

Mallan is a good player. Technically he is very good for this league, his range of passing allows us to quickly change the dynamic of play and creates 1 v 1 opportunities, unfortunately we don’t have the players to exploit these.

He always shows for the ball, makes these difficult passes, takes the long range shots and set pieces despite getting dogs abuse for the best part of a year.

He’s not going to bomb about making slide tackles but his discipline has improved massively in the defensive midfielder role, something which he had not played before last season.

For whatever reason some of our fans just can’t stand him. If Scott Allan done some of the stuff Mallan did people would be in awe, if Mallan gave possession away as cheaply as Scotty does regularly he would be slated.

We need players in the team that help guys like him and Allan, not ask them to change their game as then we become weak and don’t see the best out of them.

FWIW I always thought he would become very good if he was played similar to how Kris Commons was at Celtic.

This

PeeJay
31-10-2019, 12:34 PM
IMO Mallan spends far too much time, pointing telling teammates where they should pass the ball while shirking away from it himself, he regularly prefers to pass sideways and backwards or take a short easy pass - he relinquishes responsibility far too often by doing so. When he has the ball he should do something with it (as AE used to say a while back!). His defensive work is a liability.

He is however undoubtedly talented; he can strike a ball when he has an opportunity, and he sometimes makes a decent, telling pass or cross as was the case last night - but it is NOT ENOUGH overall.

wookie70
31-10-2019, 12:56 PM
I like him more than most on here and most of the problems stems from him playing too deep. He was terrible last night though. He defends much better than Allan but now Scottie has added goals I would drop Mallan and have Allan as our luxury player or one of our luxury players as Horgan, Newell and Middleton all fit into that but play wider so not naturally competing.

Smartie
31-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Here we go again.

I agree with this and when he's had fleeting appearances in this position he has looked good.

Mallan has been an ever-present in a team that was excellent before he arrived and has been garbage since he arrived. Our downfall coincides with his arrival. Nobody can deny he has attributes but we have failed miserably to find a role for him that allows us to see enough of his attributes without exposing his weaknesses.

I think he is as poor a player in the deeper roles he is regularly chosen to play as I have ever seen play for Hibs, ever, yet he continues to be selected.

The man who has the balls to drop this guy will be the guy who turns around our fortunes.

Unfortunately the alternatives aren't entirely dissimilar to him.

It's Allan or Mallan and for me Allan is the better player. I wouldn't howl with derision if they were to share the role (Mallan coming on later in games) as I reckon Mallan could do a decent job of it.

We have to stop trying to accommodate Mallan in positions he is totally unsuited for. He is far too slow and weak defensively for the modern game to play deep and he needs a team built around him to make up for his serious deficiencies as a player.

.Sean.
31-10-2019, 01:03 PM
I was doing my nut in at him being a total coward and pulling out of 50 50s and tiptoeing around the pitch. Had the Livi player not missed an open goal after rounding Maxwell we’d be talking about how it was his mistake which killed the game off. Great left leg but never, ever good enough for where Hibs should be.

Pilrig_Sauzee
31-10-2019, 01:05 PM
You’re twisting my Mallan man, caaaaall the cops.

04Sauzee
31-10-2019, 01:07 PM
Here we go again.

100% agree
Was saying similar after the game last night, for all his passes that don't come off he always try's to win it back, he never hides. He's a good player but some folk just dont like him

LaMotta
31-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Here we go again.

Great post and the part in bold is so accurate. There are fans who seriously cant wait to abuse him with a weird vitriolic rage for something that Allan or Porteous wouldnt.

Really strange how some fans like to pick on players at the games like primary school bullies.

cabbageandribs1875
31-10-2019, 01:09 PM
scores too many important goals for us, no one likes a goalscorer

get rid

rank last night though unfortunately

04Sauzee
31-10-2019, 01:13 PM
I was doing my nut in at him being a total coward and pulling out of 50 50s and tiptoeing around the pitch. Had the Livi player not missed an open goal after rounding Maxwell we’d be talking about how it was his mistake which killed the game off. Great left leg but never, ever good enough for where Hibs should be.

Off course Mallan was culpable for the pass back but watch it back and you can see Porto's part in that. He got away with one but if we had been beaten last night it wasn't just down to him and that pass back.

In a weird way maybe Malan is to thank for us getting the draw, if he hadn't made the pass back and made another decision then from there on every other aspect of the game changes :greengrin

LaMotta
31-10-2019, 01:15 PM
People dont shout at Porto though because hes not a target for the bullies.

He made a howler in the first half that could have led to a goal.....not one grown from the crowd towards him.

The 90+2
31-10-2019, 01:18 PM

He made a howler in the first half that could have led to a goal.....not one grown from the crowd towards him.

How’s it people being bullies exactly? People just don’t think he’s good enough and he never gets dropped. That’s expressing an opinion more than anything else. I get sticking up for the club or sticking up for some players but it’s like some supporters genuinely dislike others in the support. We are sleepwalking into disaster man no wonder there’s grumbles when Heckys fav has a howler.

Pretty Boy
31-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Mallan would be a good player in a good Hibs team with a player or 2 beside him doing the donkey work.

When we need guys to roll up their sleeves and earn the right to win games then he's pretty much useless.

Smartie
31-10-2019, 01:21 PM

Over the piece though I though the centre halves were fine. Neither of the goals could have been blamed on them, they defended well throughout, Hanlon attacked well and they did all you could ask of them in possession as well as clear up after a lot of Livi corners.

Mallan was weak for their second, probably the most culpable any individual was at either goal last night (I thought the first was just unlucky) and he should have given away another with as bad a passback as I can remember. He was part of a midfield that was ineffective in the first half and a bit better during the second (although that was mainly down to the players other than Mallan).

Then he puts the lovely ball through for the equaliser to remind us what he can do.

Hugely frustrating player, I'm just not prepared to tolerate so much rough with so little smooth.

Onceinawhile
31-10-2019, 01:22 PM
last night was one of the most completely useless performances I've ever seen from a hibs player. It was actually quite something to see just how bad it was.

we are hibs
31-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Also, why does heckingbottom insist on him dropping into full back positions to get the ball? Dont get it. Maxwell out to mallan on the right of the defence then he passes inside to a defender (usually Hanlon) then moves forward. Pointless.

LaMotta
31-10-2019, 01:35 PM
How’s it people being bullies exactly? People just don’t think he’s good enough and he never gets dropped. That’s expressing an opinion more than anything else. I get sticking up for the club or sticking up for some players but it’s like some supporters genuinely dislike others in the support. We are sleepwalking into disaster man no wonder there’s grumbles when Heckys fav has a howler.

Expressing an opinion in a constructive way is fine no issue with that.But screaming abuse at the game at one player and letting another one away with a similar mistake is strange behaviour. Some people dont like specific players, and they cant hide it.

The 90+2
31-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Expressing an opinion in a constructive way is fine no issue with that.But screaming abuse at the game at one player and letting another one away with a similar mistake is strange behaviour. Some people dont like specific players, and they cant hide it.

I would agree it’s strange and hypocritical but that same player never gets dropped while others do and it’s not bullying it’s simply wanting better for the side. I’m in no may a Mallan hater or even disliker he pulls on the jersey he’s not good enough but never gets dropped. I think the word is frustration more than anything else.

The 90+2
31-10-2019, 01:42 PM
Mallan would be a good player in a good Hibs team with a player or 2 beside him doing the donkey work.

When we need guys to roll up their sleeves and earn the right to win games then he's pretty much useless.

Yep.

oldbutdim
31-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Here we go again.

Well said.

Totally agree with the above post.

LaMotta
31-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Over the piece though I though the centre halves were fine. Neither of the goals could have been blamed on them, they defended well throughout, Hanlon attacked well and they did all you could ask of them in possession as well as clear up after a lot of Livi corners.

Mallan was weak for their second, probably the most culpable any individual was at either goal last night (I thought the first was just unlucky) and he should have given away another with as bad a passback as I can remember. He was part of a midfield that was ineffective in the first half and a bit better during the second (although that was mainly down to the players other than Mallan).

Then he puts the lovely ball through for the equaliser to remind us what he can do.

Hugely frustrating player, I'm just not prepared to tolerate so much rough with so little smooth.

Agree with all that. The abuse towards him and some others at games is OTT though. Porteous - at fault
for Aberdeen equaliser, very poor for Brian Graham's goal for Ross County on Saturday. Crazy sending off at Killie.

He is immune from abuse from the stands. I dont see the point in abusing anyone from the stands but its clear that fans like to pick on some players. Some players faults are exagerrated and other players faults are overlooked. I suppose its always been that way and always will.

LaMotta
31-10-2019, 01:50 PM
I would agree it’s strange and hypocritical but that same player never gets dropped while others do and it’s not bullying it’s simply wanting better for the side. I’m in no may a Mallan hater or even disliker he pulls on the jersey he’s not good enough but never gets dropped. I think the word is frustration more than anything else.

I think we are making slightly different points. No qualms with people stating on here they think he should be dropped.

On that though the problem is right now who do you think should play instead of him? Our midfield options are brutal, and im well aware of his obvious weaknesses but Mallan, if played in an advanced position, can be a match winner. Certainly rather him than Vela.

Cameron1875
31-10-2019, 02:13 PM
A Match of the Day player. Jumps out of every challenge and the 2nd goal last night was a disgrace.

Bin him.

The 90+2
31-10-2019, 02:22 PM
I think we are making slightly different points. No qualms with people stating on here they think he should be dropped.

On that though the problem is right now who do you think should play instead of him? Our midfield options are brutal, and im well aware of his obvious weaknesses but Mallan, if played in an advanced position, can be a match winner. Certainly rather him than Vela.

I think we should be two up top and Allan on the tip of a diamond. Wish we had good enough players behind Allan and Mallan to play them both but we haven’t unfortunately. If only Dylan, Bartley or even Milligan was still here.

Winston Ingram
31-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Played a crackin ball for the equaliser yesterday

MrRobot
31-10-2019, 02:24 PM
mallan is *****.

MWHIBBIES
31-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Should've tried him and Marv together last season, thought they were excellent for Livi last night. Mallan was absolutely awful. Couldn't find a Hibs player at all.

LaMotta
31-10-2019, 03:02 PM
Should've tried him and Marv together last season, thought they were excellent for Livi last night. Mallan was absolutely awful. Couldn't find a Hibs player at all.

Embarrassing stuff from you. He found Boyle for the equaliser. He also found Hanlon when laid the ball on a plate for him and he headed over.

Your exaggerated, condescending post is the type of analysis that just adds nothing to the debate.

Iggy Pope
31-10-2019, 03:20 PM
Embarassing stuff from you. He found Boyle for the equaliser. He also found Hanlon when laid the ball on a plate for him and he headed over.

Your exaggerated, ——— post is the type of analysis that just adds nothing to the debate.

(Edit that c word spelling mate, quick before they notice)

matty_f
31-10-2019, 03:21 PM
Like playing a man down, to be honest. Great on the odd occasions where he can get a shot off, but for the other 89.5 minutes of the match he's a waste of a jersey, IMHO. I hate slating players, been on this forum for years and have hardly ever really moaned about an individual player. I really struggle with Mallan, though - he hides in games, IMHO - he doesn't show for passes in areas that he should, he doesn't make tackles that he should (regardless of being an attacking or a defensive midfielder, you have to commit to make tackles in a game), and games just pass him by.

I thought last season he started slowly and grew into the jersey when he go used to playing at a big club, he's regressed since then, though.

LaMotta
31-10-2019, 03:23 PM
(Edit that c word spelling mate, quick before they notice)

:thumbsup:

Marvellous
31-10-2019, 03:26 PM
His passing and shooting abilities are excellent and his defensive abilities aren't great, he needs to be played in a system which recognises this.

LaMotta
31-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Like playing a man down, to be honest. Great on the odd occasions where he can get a shot off, but for the other 89.5 minutes of the match he's a waste of a jersey, IMHO. I hate slating players, been on this forum for years and have hardly ever really moaned about an individual player. I really struggle with Mallan, though - he hides in games, IMHO - he doesn't show for passes in areas that he should, he doesn't make tackles that he should (regardless of being an attacking or a defensive midfielder, you have to commit to make tackles in a game), and games just pass him by.

I thought last season he started slowly and grew into the jersey when he go used to playing at a big club, he's regressed since then, though.

Your first line is not honest though. Saying playing with him is like being a man down is just not true when he is contributing assists in games.

LaMotta
31-10-2019, 03:27 PM
His passing and shooting abilities are excellent and his defensive abilities aren't great, he needs to be played in a system which recognises this.

:agree:

neil7908
31-10-2019, 03:44 PM
I actually feel sorry for Mallan. I think he's a good player but I was going mad at him last night.

Simply put, he's not a deep lying midfielder and is doing more than harm than good in that position. He's also not a right winger.

His best position is attacking midfielder and right now Allan is ahead of him. On that basis he is needs to be on the bench, not shoehorned into unnatural positions.

Iggy Pope
31-10-2019, 03:44 PM
:thumbsup:

Sound. I’d hate you to get a spelling pummelling.

04Sauzee
31-10-2019, 03:59 PM

Don't often disagree with what you say on here in on your podcast, but will disagree with you on this one. Football and opinions eh 😁

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2019, 04:09 PM
He's a quarterback type, who does not like to be tackled.And dont ask him to go in where it hurts, as he's a *****bag who's feared of his own shadow.

He scores the odd screamer, and lays on the odd good pass, but for 99% of the time, he's a passenger.

He might as someone else said be good in a better team, but i'd rather we had better than him at the moment.

LaMotta
31-10-2019, 04:18 PM
Sound. I’d hate you to get a spelling pummelling.

Typos rather than illiteracy:greengrin

matty_f
31-10-2019, 04:47 PM
Your first line is not honest though. Saying playing with him is like being a man down is just not true when he is contributing assists in games.

Assuming nobody else could contribute those assists, then fair enough. He doesn't impact a game enough, iMHO.

familyman
31-10-2019, 04:53 PM

Some players fail to improve Mallan sadly is one and not premier standard

LaMotta
31-10-2019, 04:57 PM
Assuming nobody else could contribute those assists, then fair enough. He doesn't impact a game enough, iMHO.

Agree with most of your assesment of him but think saying he is a man down is unfair.

matty_f
31-10-2019, 05:02 PM
Agree with most of your assesment of him but think saying he is a man down is unfair.

You're probably right, to be fair. I do forget that he's playing a lot of the time though, I suspect Hecky does as well which is how he's avoided being subbed even once this season :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
31-10-2019, 05:05 PM
You're probably right, to be fair. I do forget that he's playing a lot of the time though, I suspect Hecky does as well which is how he's avoided being subbed even once this season :greengrin

I tend to agree with you on this but doesn’t PH put value in the stats provided by GPS - just wondering if there’s stuff in there that keeps him in the team? That and his set pieces and shooting ability obviously.

Basically if he wasn’t grafting he’d be out?

JimBHibees
31-10-2019, 05:07 PM

Is incredible that he continues to stay on? The taking off of Hallberg every game and putting Mallan in a deeper central role has worked wonders this season usually resulting in a goal or two for the opposition. :greengrin

matty_f
31-10-2019, 05:26 PM
I tend to agree with you on this but doesn’t PH put value in the stats provided by GPS - just wondering if there’s stuff in there that keeps him in the team? That and his set pieces and shooting ability obviously.

Basically if he wasn’t grafting he’d be out?

No, the GPS stuff isn't used to judge how effective a player is, more to track fitness levels. They don't tell the manager anything about how well a player plays or how effective they were.

LaMotta
31-10-2019, 05:34 PM

:aok:

MWHIBBIES
31-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Embarrassing stuff from you. He found Boyle for the equaliser. He also found Hanlon when laid the ball on a plate for him and he headed over.

Your exaggerated, condescending post is the type of analysis that just adds nothing to the debate.

He also found a livi player with an awful passback. If he turned up for 89 minutes he wouldn't need to assist last minute equalizers. Our midfield was awful and he as part of it.

Danderhall Hibs
31-10-2019, 05:44 PM
No, the GPS stuff isn't used to judge how effective a player is, more to track fitness levels. They don't tell the manager anything about how well a player plays or how effective they were.

I thought it might show effort - KM run and how quickly etc.

Just trying to find a reason why!

PeeJay
31-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Think they can use the data to determine if a player stuck to the tactical line-up/formation/intention - or if he was all over the place (like our defence) :greengrin

KWJ
31-10-2019, 05:56 PM
I don't think Mallan is as bad as people say. He makes an effort to show for the ball, looks to make passes and is willing to close players down. None of these can be said about Newall or Vela.

But I don't think we can play both him and Allan in the same team as it leaves us defensively weak. The only way to play both is to have Mallan out wide, where he lacks pace and tends to drift in field.

Mostly this. He's not got the awareness of a McGeouch to play the Pirlo role so I've no idea why he's playing so deep. Needs to be up the pitch. It's like playing Riordan in the Matty Jack role.

He can score other types too like his one at Livi.

He might no be a great deal more than a great shot but it's that good a strike let's actually try and use it.

J-C
31-10-2019, 05:59 PM
I thought it might show effort - KM run and how quickly etc.

Just trying to find a reason why!

It does but as Heckingbottom said on the visit, if Messi was judges on the stats the GPS gives he wouldn't get a game as he'd be one of the worst in the team for distance ran, sprints etc, talent and balls also plays a big part too.

Danderhall Hibs
31-10-2019, 06:02 PM
It does but as Heckingbottom said on the visit, if Messi was judges on the stats the GPS gives he wouldn't get a game as he'd be one of the worst in the team for distance ran, sprints etc, talent and balls also plays a big part too.

Of course - but Mallans not doing eye catching stuff so I thought it was the stats that are keeping him in.

CRAZYHIBBY
31-10-2019, 06:04 PM
Mallan has scored most of our goals this season yet still gets slated

Alright that might not be right

Hibeesmad
31-10-2019, 06:15 PM

I’m a fan of Mallan and if it wasn’t for his goals and assists we would have been in a bigger hole than we are in. He’s still got a lot to learn, especially defensively but what can you do when the manager has to play him out of position due to not bringing in a player more suitable to that position.

Hibee Mac
31-10-2019, 06:19 PM

The point is though - would we have scored and, more importantly, won more games had a proper midfielder been signed and played ahead of him which would give the whole team a real platform to play from? IMO yes.

We should expect far more from our midfielder at a club like Hibs.

J-C
31-10-2019, 06:29 PM
Of course - but Mallans not doing eye catching stuff so I thought it was the stats that are keeping him in.

He's still better than Vela and Slivka's not fit, no one else to drop him to the bench for.

Onceinawhile
31-10-2019, 06:35 PM
He's a quarterback type, who does not like to be tackled.And dont ask him to go in where it hurts, as he's a *****bag who's feared of his own shadow.

He scores the odd screamer, and lays on the odd good pass, but for 99% of the time, he's a passenger.

He might as someone else said be good in a better team, but i'd rather we had better than him at the moment.

Tbf, as a rule, quarterbacks don't like to get tackled .

Unseen work
31-10-2019, 06:49 PM
The point is though - would we have scored and, more importantly, won more games had a proper midfielder been signed and played ahead of him which would give the whole team a real platform to play from? IMO yes.

He would have to be one hell of a midfielder.

We concede goals all over the place and aren’t scoring many goals this season, never mind removing Mallan.

What if he was replaced with another Vela, Milligan, Hallberg etc

gaz1875
31-10-2019, 06:57 PM
He shouldn't be anywhere near 30 yards from our goal with the ball, gets caught a number of times dithering about at walking pace, and don't get me started with his attempts at tackling.

Squirrel 1875
31-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Another who has cost us countless goals this season. Quite simply not good enough.

Smartie
31-10-2019, 07:03 PM

We concede goals all over the place and aren’t scoring many goals this season, never mind removing Mallan.

Replacing Mallan with another Milligan or Hallberg to play that deeper role would improve our midfield about 10 fold. Replacing him when he's lumbering about out wide (but not causing us defensive problems) with someone like Martin Boyle would make our midfield about 5 x better.

Vela's not much of a player but he's better at that role than Mallan for now.

Mallan is good behind the strikers but not as good as Allan. He's utterly garbage everywhere else and has been since he joined. It cost us loads of points during our disappointing start to last season and it has cost us loads of points already this season.

He has a nice pass and a nice shot on him but folk need to face reality, he's a relegation standard midfielder in the role he's currently being asked to play and always will be. He's not going to improve.

Onion
31-10-2019, 07:10 PM

Correct. Those that rate Mallan always justify his place by asking where we'd be without his goals and assists, as if our only alternative is to play with 10 men :greengrin

Hibee Mac
31-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Tbh I don't think he would need to be some wonder midfielder like McGinn. As I mentioned in my other post I think the central midfield is there to be a solid platform for the rest of the team to build on both offensively and defensively.

Right now we have a sieve in our midfield that just so happens to pop up with a goal every now and then, but this set up is detrimental to the entire team. Without that solid core the entire team suffers and that, to me, is mostly to blame for our horrendous run of form which has been allowed to go on for far too long.