PDA

View Full Version : Some amongst us have forgotten what it’s like to be a Hibby

Iggy Pope
31-10-2019, 06:33 AM
A Cup Semi Final. No clamour for tickets, posters confirming they won’t be going. Others can’t give their tickets away they are so fed up.

Threads with posters telling us they’ve lost interest in the Hibs, don’t bother even checking the scores anymore.

Match day threads with posters on it who avoid going to games in order that they get peace to vent their disgust at the events on the web. Looking back on last nights thread there is palpable disappointment that our team had the temerity to equalise. Honestly, **** that.
There was no disappointment felt at ER last night when Boyle scored, no groans of Heckingbottom not being sacked in the morning anymore. Only relief we had not got beaten and were not bottom of the league at all, contrary to the rare thread reported by our some time correspondent on matters concerning Hearts imminent demise.

It’s tough right now. It usually is that way at some point and periods like this have happened across all 144 years of it. Imagine watching that fabled side of the 20s deteriorate to relegation by the early 30s.
What must it have been like to watch the Famous 5 destroy all comers to titles in the 50s only to flirt with relegation 10 years on.
The Tornadoes. Eddie and his savaged side with only Arthur Duncan left, doomed to relegation just 7 years after the Seven Nil game. We had protests outside Easter Road in those days too you know but we recovered from it.

We don’t win regular cups and titles, we hardly ever do. Outside the OF no one really does.
Europe isn’t regular. Hasn’t been for decades. Hasn’t ever really been at all when you look at the facts.
Sometimes the football is crap and any Hibby over the age of 10 will have experience of that.
We occasionally suffer an unpopular manager. We have one now and no doubt we’d prefer him gone but that suffering shouldn’t take the place of our support.

I’m telling you what you already know.
Hibernian soldiers everywhere. Earn your stripes and make Hibs.net something worth clicking on again. It’s ****ing HAMPDEN in a couple of sleeps.

JimBHibees
31-10-2019, 06:43 AM
A Cup Semi Final. No clamour for tickets, posters confirming they won’t be going. Others can’t give their tickets away they are so fed up.

Threads with posters telling us they’ve lost interest in the Hibs, don’t bother even checking the scores anymore.

Match day threads with posters on it who avoid going to games in order that they get peace to vent their disgust at the events on the web. Looking back on last nights thread there is palpable disappointment that our team had the temerity to equalise. Honestly, **** that.
There was no disappointment felt at ER last night when Boyle scored, no groans of Heckingbottom not being sacked in the morning anymore. Only relief we had not got beaten and were not bottom of the league at all, contrary to the rare thread reported by our some time correspondent on matters concerning Hearts imminent demise.

It’s tough right now. It usually is that way at some point and periods like this have happened across all 144 years of it. Imagine watching that fabled side of the 20s deteriorate to relegation by the early 30s.
What must it have been like to watch the Famous 5 destroy all comers to titles in the 50s only to flirt with relegation 10 years on.
The Tornadoes. Eddie and his savaged side with only Arthur Duncan left, doomed to relegation just 7 years after the Seven Nil game. We had protests outside Easter Road in those days too you know but we recovered from it.

We don’t win regular cups and titles, we hardly ever do. Outside the OF no one really does.
Europe isn’t regular. Hasn’t been for decades. Hasn’t ever really been at all when you look at the facts.
Sometimes the football is crap and any Hibby over the age of 10 will have experience of that.
We occasionally suffer an unpopular manager. We have one now and no doubt we’d prefer him gone but that suffering shouldn’t take the place of our support.

Hibernian soldiers everywhere. Earn your stripes and make Hibs.net something worth clicking on again. It’s ****ing HAMPDEN in a couple of sleeps.

Agree with that no way on this earth was I not cheering the team on in the second half last night. We were the team going for it not the other way around. As you say this for my 50 years following the club is the norm. In saying that we have to do better than we are currently. Will be going to Hampden and will have a great day out irrespective of result. Did we not go 20 years or so without a semi final? These games don't come round that often so need to be enjoyed imo.

The Modfather
31-10-2019, 07:31 AM

Hibs.net reflects the general mood of the support. A lot of fans are unhappy and feel disconnected from the club again. It’s up to Hibs to reconnect with the support, when they do that the general mood among the support will improve and Hibs.net will have more positive threads.

James Stephen
31-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Good post mate!

allmodcons
31-10-2019, 07:46 AM
Hibs.net reflects the general mood of the support. A lot of fans are unhappy and feel disconnected from the club again. It’s up to Hibs to reconnect with the support, when they do that the general mood among the support will improve and Hibs.net will have more positive threads.

I don't think this is correct. There are a lot of posters who like to moan whatever the circumstances. It's like the vocal minority at games who just can't help but look for something to be critical about. I don't think they reflect the general mood of the support.

I rarely post on the main football forum just because of the volume of negativity. Same people who were shouting for Lennon to go are now shouting for Heckingbottom to go.

Also, how is not getting behind the team going to help?

If we end up in a play off spot Easter Road will sell out, so why not get behind the team now and help prevent us ever getting to the stage where it's do or die.

scooby
31-10-2019, 07:46 AM

I'll feel reborn as a Hibby when we have a manager who can put a team on the park that makes me proud to support. I've never felt so disconnected from the club.

WeeRussell
31-10-2019, 07:49 AM

You make a few good points. But it’s really more simple - if people are scunnered at going to watch it, and have cried enough, they’re not going to (pay money to) attend knowing nothing has changed and they won’t enjoy the experience. All the rallying cries in the world won’t change that. Only changes at the club will.

I’m not a boycotter. But as a walk-up fan I’ve seen enough to know that going along right now won’t do me any good.

A lot of work went into us establishing ourselves as a proud force in Scottish football again. And now we’re like a team that doesn’t deserve to be in this league.

hibsbollah
31-10-2019, 07:56 AM

If that's the case, why is the atmosphere at the ground better than it is on hibs.net? Why are the people I speak to at the game (people I know or otherwise) generally more positive, or at least balanced about the state of the team, than the ones who pontificate on here?

The internet might be a reflection of the wider mood but it's a bit of an ugly depressed reflection. (And yes, before the usual suspects start, I would also welcome a change of manager)

Danderhall Hibs
31-10-2019, 07:56 AM
I'll feel reborn as a Hibby when we have a manager who can put a team on the park that makes me proud to support. I've never felt so disconnected from the club.

That’s just hyperbole.

Brightside
31-10-2019, 07:57 AM

I don't think is does reflect the general mood of the support. Football forums are always much more negative than fans in real life. As Iggy says there was no shortage of people pushing the team on in the second half last night. All very positive and behind the team. Maybe keeping it to the 14000 (?) that turned up last night is the way forward. :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
31-10-2019, 07:59 AM
I don't think is does reflect the general mood of the support. Football forums are always much more negative than fans in real life. As Iggy says there was no shortage of people pushing the team on in the second half last night. All very positive and behind the team. Maybe keeping it to the 14000 (?) that turned up last night is the way forward. :greengrin

:agree: when I speak to my mates and work colleagues etc most agree it’s too far gone now for the manager but it’s not as exaggerated or angry as it is on here or twitter and facebook.

Yorkshire HFC
31-10-2019, 08:04 AM

My experience of watching Hibs is that the people who go to the matches overwhelmingly support the team, and want them to do well. Often it's in a light hearted manner, but people take it for what it is - something they choose to do, to spend their money on. It's not life or death - it's just one of their hobbies.

That is not what I see on this forum - 90% of what I read on here is negative - slagging off the manager and players and people actually posting that they want Hibs to lose!

The Modfather
31-10-2019, 08:17 AM
If that's the case, why is the atmosphere at the ground better than it is on hibs.net? Why are the people I speak to at the game (people I know or otherwise) generally more positive, or at least balanced about the state of the team, than the ones who pontificate on here?

The internet might be a reflection of the wider mood but it's a bit of an ugly depressed reflection. (And yes, before the usual suspects start, I would also welcome a change of manager)

The internet clearly amplifies things, and some posters revel in their negativity, but I still think messageboards reflect the general mood. There’s lots of calm and mannered posts talking about how people feel, with even some of the criticism constructive. However we’re more likely to remember the extreme opinions and those going overboard in their negativity IMO.

It works both ways, what folk say on the internet is unlikely to be what they say and how they act in the real world. The posters on here who go on about “day trippers”, “glory hunters”, telling folk to “stop checking the Hibs result”, “excuses” for how people spend their time and money etc etc, I doubt they would say those to strangers in person.

essexhibee
31-10-2019, 08:17 AM
Just feel nothing this season. No excitement yet no anger at the same time. Strange feeling.

Since452
31-10-2019, 08:22 AM

Good post and looking forward to yet another trip to Hampden on Saturday to see the Hibs

IWasThere2016
31-10-2019, 08:26 AM
I haven't .. punted the draw when we were 2 up on Saturday at 6/1 and Livi +1 at 5/6 last night :cb

Not winning has become a habit for us :rolleyes:

flash
31-10-2019, 08:29 AM
Looking forward to a day out on Saturday. These are the occasions that you relish as a supporter.

Carheenlea
31-10-2019, 08:30 AM

I think Hibs.net does reflect general mood to a certain degree, but the point the OP was maybe making is that a lot of us have forgot what it’s like to be a Hibs supporter, suggesting too many have thrown in the towel at the first real troublesome spell in a number of years.

Hakim Sar
31-10-2019, 08:30 AM
I dont think hibs being in the bottom 6 is remotely acceptable never mind flirting with being bottom of the entire league outright. At the moment it's is happening to our club practically every other year. Fans are weary of the perpetuation of failure, despite the advantages our club has over our rivals - size of fan base, city and vicinity of operation, facilities, budget, history and surely more.

For the. Net moaner it must be similar to a frustrated parent that watches their child repeatedly make a hash of their life despite the continued unwavering support of the family.

Our emotions are sometimes so strong that speaking out, moaning on the forum if you will, is still with the best interests of the club at heart. People are moaning because they care. It's their own individualistic response and I don't think it should be criticised. Arguably, without a forum to vent, the atmosphere inside the stadium would be more poisonous.

Hibs underperform badly in a sub-par league. I'd be more worried if my fellow supporters had nothing to say about this.

surreyhibbie
31-10-2019, 08:31 AM

cant argue with any of that. :top marks

Frankhfc
31-10-2019, 08:33 AM

:top marks

My big bro whose no longer with us unfortunately, had the luck to have been taken to HIbs matches as a young lad every week at the start of the 70's and had the good fortune to start his hibs supporting life watching the Tornadoes. I on the other hand began my young adventure at the time of the break up of the Tornadoes that ushered in nearly a decade of mostly doom and gloom while the hearts began moving in the other direction culminating in their utter dominance of derby matches. However, it was still good times to be among the support of diehards who showed a hardy resilience and there was a lorra lorra laughs along the way.

heretoday
31-10-2019, 08:33 AM
I reckon a lot of folk are fed up with football in general at the moment.

The Modfather
31-10-2019, 08:36 AM
I think Hibs.net does reflect general mood to a certain degree, but the point the OP was maybe making is that a lot of us have forgot what it’s like to be a Hibs supporter, suggesting too many have thrown in the towel at the first real troublesome spell in a number of years.

I think my frustration is that in the last 10 - 15 years odd the handful of seasons like the cup win and finishing 4th (with probably more importantly, a team we all related to). Those seasons were the exception and the turmoil and downward spiral we find ourselves in yet again is probably closer to the norm.

Carheenlea
31-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Reading through the match thread and other outlets like twitter, it was clear many fans were disappointed with Boyle’s equaliser. There can never be a situation where you want your club to lose a game. Nobody can see into the future but that could turn out to be a vital last gasp salvage of a point that keeps as above relegation /playoffs, or it might prove to be the spark that ignited our season.

hibsbollah
31-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Back to the OP, there's a wider point about our historic pishness. Excluding temporary stand in managers,we have had just under 20 managers since Eddie Turnbull's tornadoes. I would say 9 of those managers have been dismal, clear failures (Fenlon, Duffy, Calderwood), 9 have a mixed, or arguable legacy (Collins, Mixu, McLeish etc), and only 1, Tony Mowbray, clearly improved us as a team and made step changes to the culture that no-one can argue was positive-(of course some will argue he never actually won anything unlike Miller Stubbs and Collins, which is a fair point, it's all opinions).

Since I've been watching, we have been mostly mediocre or pish. With mediocre or pish management. With very brief and fleeting ridiculous highs, one in particular. If we'd have chucked in the towel or boycotted everytime a crap manager was appointed we'd be in the third division with third division crowds.

green with envy
31-10-2019, 08:52 AM
I don't think this is correct. There are a lot of posters who like to moan whatever the circumstances. It's like the vocal minority at games who just can't help but look for something to be critical about. I don't think they reflect the general mood of the support.

I rarely post on the main football forum just because of the volume of negativity. Same people who were shouting for Lennon to go are now shouting for Heckingbottom to go.

Also, how is not getting behind the team going to help?

If we end up in a play off spot Easter Road will sell out, so why not get behind the team now and help prevent us ever getting to the stage where it's do or die.

Deary me. Assuming you were there last night, you and you are not deaf, it was not the the minority of fans that were critical but the vast majority. Did you not hear the boos on the final whistle?

J-C
31-10-2019, 09:08 AM
I cheered them on in the 2nd half but was equally disgusted at half time being 2 down, he again set the team up all wrong, different players same crap, the change at half time made us more attack minded and got in the front foot from the whistle.

It's not that it was a good comeback its the fact we shouldn't have to make a comeback at home like that against Livingston.

Why is there no drive in the ream?

Why has he not established some sort of recognisable system and shape?

Brightside
31-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Reading through the match thread and other outlets like twitter, it was clear many fans were disappointed with Boyle’s equaliser. There can never be a situation where you want your club to lose a game. Nobody can see into the future but that could turn out to be a vital last gasp salvage of a point that keeps as above relegation /playoffs, or it might prove to be the spark that ignited our season.

The fans were far from unhappy. We were celebrating widely. What people on the internet were doing is a different thing.

Brightside
31-10-2019, 09:29 AM
Deary me. Assuming you were there last night, you and you are not deaf, it was not the the minority of fans that were critical but the vast majority. Did you not hear the boos on the final whistle?

There was booing at HT. A lot less booing at FT and everyone around me clapping the team off.

SlickShoes
31-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Lots of us in the matchday threads are international fans that are paying money to watch the game and posting at the same time. I am not avoiding supporting the team to post online. Certainly, my instant disgust at the product on the park wanes hugely half an hour or so after the game, but the internet does a great job of capturing how someone feels in that exact moment. I'd wager that most people arent as extremely negative or as positive as they seem if you spoke to them in real life instead of just reading forum comments.

I was fairly positive up until we lost to hearts, in every single game we have looked OK at best and done almost nothing to make me actually want to watch the football. Last night was no different, if Livi hadn't missed an open goal we would have had no chance at coming back. We were dire and we have been for months now, we aren't a LOT worse than other teams but we are much worse than we used to be.

Iggy Pope
31-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Exactly that. If everyone threw the towel in at every bad cycle the gates would have been shut decades ago.
I attend ER as a group of 7 people on my ticket network.
I’m the only Hibs.net poster. 6 are attending on Saturday. All 7 have STs and wouldn’t choose to miss a game, on purpose if you like.
As my yardstick I don’t think the forum is representative of the support mood as right now it reflects the mood of 1 in 7.

If this forum was truly reflective of the general mood of Hibs fans we would all be tearing into each other on Albion Road with a few umpires in attendance. It’s not. It’s a bunch of (mostly) men with too much time on their hands using idle thumbs for online moaning.

SlickShoes
31-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Exactly that. If everyone threw the towel in at every bad cycle the gates would have been shut decades ago.
I’m the only Hibs.net poster. 6 are attending on Saturday. All 7 have STs and wouldn’t choose to miss a game, on purpose if you like.
As my yardstick I don’t think the forum is representative of the support mood as right now it reflects the mood of 1 in 7.

If this forum was truly reflective of the general mood of Hibs fans we would all be tearing into each other on Albion Road with a few umpires in attendance. It’s not. It’s a bunch of (mostly) men with too much time on their hands using idle thumbs for online moaning.

Your own friend group isn't representative of the wider support, thats not how stats work. This site is a big enough sample size to gauge a reasonable view of what the overall opinion is. It's not as extreme as some people think, the wildly crazy posts just stick in your mind and most people posting aren't extremely negative.

I am aware we have been pish most of my 36 years supporting hibs, but that doesn't mean I need to be happy about how pish we currently are. During the games I want the team to win and play well, but what I see is far from that.

Smartie
31-10-2019, 09:39 AM
The silly section of our home support aren't turning up at games, there were thousands of empty seats last night. There was the odd "angry individual" near me but nothing disproportionate to the way we were playing.

The crowd acted pretty much how you would expect - the team deserved to be booed off at half time for finding themselves 2-0 down (ignoring for a minute everything about our play) then they deserved praise for battling back in the second half to win a point, tbh they played well in the second half.

If we could play the way we did in the second half more often, we wouldn't be in half the trouble we are in.

I was a bit surprised, pleasantly surprised, by the reasonable nature of the home crowd given recent results.

green with envy
31-10-2019, 09:39 AM

And yet 4 of us ST holders that go H&A every week, 3 are netters and all of us are mighty pissed off with what's happening just now.

Iggy Pope
31-10-2019, 09:41 AM
And yet 4 of us ST holders that go H&A every week, 3 are netters and all of us are mighty pissed off with what's happening just now.

But you’ve not chucked it have you?

Iggy Pope
31-10-2019, 09:42 AM
By the way.
No one expects happiness, sweetness and light. Supportive behaviours are what I’m referring to amidst the unhappiness.

MrSmith
31-10-2019, 09:48 AM
Just feel nothing this season. No excitement yet no anger at the same time. Strange feeling.

Reflects me too, just MEH!

Pretty Boy
31-10-2019, 09:49 AM
I broadly agree with the OP with the caveat that just because we have consistently flitted between pish and mediocre with the odd good spell thrown in doesn't mean we shouldn't strive and hope for better. I'm not saying the OP has suggested we shouldn't, merely that we have seen Hibs punch their weight in recent years and a lot of the anger and frustration stems from that noticeably slipping away. The idea of boycotting certainly isn't for me and I think it's that kind of attitude that is being confronted.

I'm not going to Hampden on Saturday because I have a pre booked trip away that I can't really afford to cancel, both financially and for the sake of my relationship. I'm pretty gutted to be missing out though. For me trips to Hampden are the reward for sitting through the aforementioned pish times, especially on the odd occasion we actually win there.

On the point about hibs.net being reflective of the general mood of the fans then I think it both is and isn't. When the general mood is positive then this place tends to follow suit, likewise when it's negative. There is an extremeness about it though particularly when we are poor. I don't think at the moment the mood on here and in the general support is hugely disparate; most people I know are frustrated and want the manager to go. That's generally what I read on here. I've said before I think people tend to remember posts that they disagree with or are extreme far more than they do the relatively balanced and articulate posts that many people provide. I'd wager that a lot of the people that we speak to in the office/at games/in the pub also have a more confrontational style online, whether discussing Hibs or otherwise, than they do in the aforementioned locations.

Diclonius
31-10-2019, 09:50 AM
A lot have people have forgotten that we didn't go to Hampden once between 2007 and 2012.

That could easily happen again.

J-C
31-10-2019, 09:51 AM
Did everyone not hear the chanting of Hecky Hecky get tae ****, as it came from a good number of fans in the stadium, yes he changed things and it was a good comeback but by then another 3rd of the crowd had already left.

green with envy
31-10-2019, 09:57 AM

In my 45 years of following Hibs I have never chucked it, however I have came pretty close on a few occasions by missing the odd game due to being pissed off and if this doesn't improve, this will happen again pretty soon.

WeeRussell
31-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Are any of the posters condemning those that choose not to bother going just now the same people that state they have lost all interest in the national team?

I don't mean those that take great delight in telling you they don't care about international football, or actively revel in Scotland getting beat. But those who admit to having followed Scotland in the past, and now given up because we're so ****/because of the SFA.

matty_f
31-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Great post. :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2019, 11:11 AM

At the final whistle the vast majority of fans were applauding the team for their 2nd half efforts, with only a few boos.

Its a good post by the OP the sentiment of which I entirely agree. I loved the experience of a near full ER so many times over the last few seasons, but I also recall posting more than once that folk should enjoy it for what it was because chances are it wouldnt last. But I also have to say that in a perverse sort of way I enjoy just as much as a full stadium being in the company of the 7 to 10 thousand who keep this club going when as inevitably happens the folk for whom the results and style of play are the be and end all start to drift away.

For me supporting your club is, always was and always will be more than just about results ... you support it through thick and thin, which unfortunately for us Hibbies historically consists of mostly thin :greengrin Do I want the club to do better?, of course I do ........ do I think it SHOULD do better?, yes I do. But I'm a Hibby come what may and for me that means doing your moaning IN the stadium, not staying away coz you cant take losing and dressing it up as some sort of half assed protest.

See you at Hampden.

Speedway
31-10-2019, 11:19 AM

There's a category of supporter I think, who has seen this movie before but even they are shocked at how fast the happy part of the movie was lost this time.

They don't trust the manager, the don't trust the players, they don't trust the board. It wasn't supposed to be like this anymore and they're REALLY not up for being horsed by either of the ugly sisters anymore, whether it's at Hampden or not.

We had finally moved on from being more than just average to lower average s***e. We had moved on to not fearing anyone. We had moved on bossing Hearts. We were progressing.

Now we're regressing and I think many can't stomach it and even more just can't be arsed either way.

WeeRussell
31-10-2019, 11:23 AM
At the final whistle the vast majority of fans were applauding the team for their 2nd half efforts, with only a few boos.

Its a good post by the OP the sentiment of which I entirely agree. I loved the experience of a near full ER so many times over the last few seasons, but I also recall posting more than once that folk should enjoy it for what it was because chances are it wouldnt last. But I also have to say that in a perverse sort of way I enjoy just as much as a full stadium being in the company of the 7 to 10 thousand who keep this club going when as inevitably happens the folk for whom the results and style of play are the be and end all start to drift away.

For me supporting your club is, always was and always will be more than just about results ... you support it through thick and thin, which unfortunately for us Hibbies historically consists of mostly thin :greengrin Do I want the club to do better?, of course I do ........ do I think it SHOULD do better?, yes I do. But I'm a Hibby come what may and for me that means doing your moaning IN the stadium, not staying away coz you cant take losing and dressing it up as some sort of half assed protest.

See you at Hampden.

If, like you claim, people aren't going because they can't take losing... I doubt very much that you'll see them at Hampden :greengrin

allmodcons
31-10-2019, 11:23 AM

Would appear not everybody agrees with you. Maybe you were so busy booing 'your' team you didn't hear those applauding. The wider point is that there is more anger online than at the games.

There was booing at HT. A lot less booing at FT and everyone around me clapping the team off.

:agree:

Alfred E Newman
31-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Did everyone not hear the chanting of Hecky Hecky get tae ****, as it came from a good number of fans in the stadium, yes he changed things and it was a good comeback but by then another 3rd of the crowd had already left.

Yes, a fair proportion of the crowd let their frustration be shown at half time but to say a 3rd of the crowd had left is not true. I thought a surprising number stuck it out to the end and were encouraging the team. A good few may just have been waiting to give Hecky pelters at the final whistle but in general I thought the crowd stuck by the team surprisingly well concidering the current situation.

green with envy
31-10-2019, 11:35 AM

See you at Hampden.

No one supports Hibs through thick and thin any anymore than I during the bad times or the good times for that matter, although I am entitled to feel mighty pissed off during these recent times. And FWIW, I never stated that I boo'd on the final whistle but it was loud and justified.

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2019, 11:51 AM
No one supports Hibs through thick and thin any anymore than I during the bad times or the good times for that matter, although I am entitled to feel mighty pissed off during these recent times. And FWIW, I never stated that I boo'd on the final whistle but it was loud and justified.

I never said you personally booed mate. But I was in the stadium as well you know and any booing at full time was far more muted than at half time.

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2019, 11:54 AM
If, like you claim, people aren't going because they can't take losing... I doubt very much that you'll see them at Hampden :greengrin

As the ticket sales are showing mate. I'll be there but in all honesty I think it will take nothing short of a minor miracle for us to win that game.

WeeRussell
31-10-2019, 11:56 AM
As the ticket sales are showing mate. I'll be there but in all honesty I think it will take nothing short of a minor miracle for us to win that game.

Agreed - be sure and have a good bevy :aok:

Barman Stanton
31-10-2019, 12:00 PM
I think people are just absolutely scunnered. These days were meant to be past us. We have the complete stadium, the training ground, no debt. Yet here we are, 1 point of bottom and looking very much relegation candidates. We also have a board who are not communicating at all with the fans, another thing that was meant to be a thing of the past. We have went so far backwords in such a short time its unreal.

Liam978
31-10-2019, 12:15 PM

There are still hundreds of tickets left in our sections, please HIBBY'S try to disperse of them. Last night showed what a supportive backing can achieve. It's the first time this season that the Hibees chant has emanated from the West stand GG2TH.

CMurdoch
31-10-2019, 12:29 PM

As Lance Corporal Jones once said "They don't like it up 'em!"

Other than the poisonous atmosphere between conceding the 2nd goal and half time i thought the supporters kept their **** together pretty well.
Similarly against Ross County on Saturday.
Supporting Hibs has always been a bit like the Scottish weather. Changeable at best with a risk of showers.

Fortunately because we now have the infrastructure and no debt we have the money to sort things in the medium term rather than by chance. That probably means next summer.
My only concern is that only 2 players contracts are up in the summer (Slivka & Whittaker) and only 2 players are on loan (Maxwell & Naismith).
Moving out under performing players on good contracts is notoriously difficult and expensive. This may be Heckenbottoms legacy as much as the poor results.

Whilst i am surprised at how much we have dropped off in the last year I still look forward to going to Easter Road and meeting friends. It's what it's all about for me. If it was all about supporting a winning team I'd have to go to Glasgow (this Saturday doesn't count) but that would mean nothing to me and would quickly stop with possibly forced weekend trips to Dobbies taking it's place. No one under 85 wants that :wink: .

One Day Soon
31-10-2019, 01:04 PM
There's a category of supporter I think, who has seen this movie before but even they are shocked at how fast the happy part of the movie was lost this time.

They don't trust the manager, the don't trust the players, they don't trust the board. It wasn't supposed to be like this anymore and they're REALLY not up for being horsed by either of the ugly sisters anymore, whether it's at Hampden or not.

We had finally moved on from being more than just average to lower average s***e. We had moved on to not fearing anyone. We had moved on bossing Hearts. We were progressing.

Now we're regressing and I think many can't stomach it and even more just can't be arsed either way.

This is the post of the thread.

There are supporters who are recent, those who have followed Hibs through thick and thin (mostly thin) and others in between who now know what is possible. The infrastructure is complete. The Cup monkey was turned into a unicorn. The boy band mentality was replaced by steel. The fans turned up in our thousands as season ticket holders. The entire stage was set for a longer term revival where if we weren't challenging the Ugly Sisters we were going to at least give them a seriously hard time and compete to be among the best of the rest. Instead we have this fiasco.

But now because they know what is possible supporters are increasingly just not prepared to meekly accept crumbs from the table. Trying and failing is one thing, leaderless ineffectual drift is quite another. We didn't endure literally decades of disappointment over the Scottish Cup only to finally win it but then piss away the legacy in a comparative heartbeat due to poor decision making, indecisiveness and bad management.

This isn't rocket science, every single one of us knew, for example, that we needed another striker and that our midfield was a chocolate box waiting to melt unless it was reinforced. It's been like watching a slow motion car crash in which you could see the impact coming but the driver kept insisting against all reason that everything was fine.

And this shouldn't be reduced to the typically contemporary binary choice so beloved of social media. It is possible to both love your club, be a faithful supporter at games or not and feel real anger and vent harsh criticism, rightly, on the muppets currently 'leading' the club.

In every single department on and off pitch we could and should be doing much, much better than we are. It is not acceptable, it's not good enough for Hibs and for a club of our resources relative to those of our competition we are currently failing abjectly. What makes all this worse is the dislocation between the script we've been fed and the reality of what we see: 'fittest ever team, high press, competing with the best in the league, succession planning, incremental improvement' - all of it playing out as absolute cobblers as we watch.

Good would be competing for top 4, average would be competing for top 6, poor would be outside the top 6 and crisis is being stuck in the bottom of the table mix with almost a third of the season gone. The crisis isn't likely relegation - that's probably avoidable. The crisis is missing out on Europe, the loss of season ticket holders next season, the weakening of the close link between players, club and support and another year not only lost in the long term aim to strengthen the squad but having gone backwards in that regard.

I've had a season ticket continuously for around 30 years now and I always will. I've been a long term Happy Clapper. I can take failure, falling short, trying but being overcome by superior forces and resources - and have done serially. This is not that, this is clueless under delivery.

I'm not happy. I'm not clapping. And it's not us Hibs, it's you.

worcesterhibby
31-10-2019, 01:05 PM

well said Iggy, I pointed out on another thread about a week ago that even Aberdeen have finished out of the top 6 in over 35% of seasons since Alex Ferguson left them. Without the huge financial advantage that the old firm have it is nigh on impossible for the other teams to consistently be top 6 and be qualifying for Europe every year. We should of course be aiming for that, aspiring to be the best of the rest and to be competing toe to toe with every team in the league on a match by match basis, but the truth is we will always have times when we fail. Replacing a player like McGinn is nigh on impossible the team is lacking some real drive and belief for sure...but our motto is meant to be Persevere !

J-C
31-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Yes, a fair proportion of the crowd let their frustration be shown at half time but to say a 3rd of the crowd had left is not true. I thought a surprising number stuck it out to the end and were encouraging the team. A good few may just have been waiting to give Hecky pelters at the final whistle but in general I thought the crowd stuck by the team surprisingly well concidering the current situation.

1/3 was a guesstimate, many left at their 2nd and quite a few at half time. Crowd was around 9k and when the 2nd half started it was down to about 7k, a lot of people left at half time. Those that did stay got behind the team though as you say.

green with envy
31-10-2019, 01:24 PM

There are supporters who are recent, those who have followed Hibs through thick and thin (mostly thin) and others in between who now know what is possible. The infrastructure is complete. The Cup monkey was turned into a unicorn. The boy band mentality was replaced by steel. The fans turned up in our thousands as season ticket holders. The entire stage was set for a longer term revival where if we weren't challenging the Ugly Sisters we were going to at least give them a seriously hard time and compete to be among the best of the rest. Instead we have this fiasco.

But now because they know what is possible supporters are increasingly just not prepared to meekly accept crumbs from the table. Trying and failing is one thing, leaderless ineffectual drift is quite another. We didn't endure literally decades of disappointment over the Scottish Cup only to finally win it but then piss away the legacy in a comparative heartbeat due to poor decision making, indecisiveness and bad management.

This isn't rocket science, every single one of us knew, for example, that we needed another striker and that our midfield was a chocolate box waiting to melt unless it was reinforced. It's been like watching a slow motion car crash in which you could see the impact coming but the driver kept insisting against all reason that everything was fine.

And this shouldn't be reduced to the typically contemporary binary choice so beloved of social media. It is possible to both love your club, be a faithful supporter at games or not and feel real anger and vent harsh criticism, rightly, on the muppets currently 'leading' the club.

In every single department on and off pitch we could and should be doing much, much better than we are. It is not acceptable, it's not good enough for Hibs and for a club of our resources relative to those of our competition we are currently failing abjectly. What makes all this worse is the dislocation between the script we've been fed and the reality of what we see: 'fittest ever team, high press, competing with the best in the league, succession planning, incremental improvement' - all of it playing out as absolute cobblers as we watch.

Good would be competing for top 4, average would be competing for top 6, poor would be outside the top 6 and crisis is being stuck in the bottom of the table mix with almost a third of the season gone. The crisis isn't likely relegation - that's probably avoidable. The crisis is missing out on Europe, the loss of season ticket holders next season, the weakening of the close link between players, club and support and another year not only lost in the long term aim to strengthen the squad but having gone backwards in that regard.

I've had a season ticket continuously for around 30 years now and I always will. I've been a long term Happy Clapper. I can take failure, falling short, trying but being overcome by superior forces and resources - and have done serially. This is not that, this is clueless under delivery.

This has just trumped the best post on this thread.

Chorley Hibee
31-10-2019, 01:38 PM

Pin this post somewhere on the boards!

The most erudite assessment of our failing club yet.

MrSmith
31-10-2019, 01:42 PM
Maybe Hibs have forgotten what it means to be a hibee?

Captain Trips
31-10-2019, 01:56 PM

Excellent stuff, we are having discussions and debate on things we should never have been having going on the plans laid out. The fact you have had to type all that and IMO the fact that it is correct is for me the biggest disgrace in years.

The 90+2
31-10-2019, 02:20 PM
This has just trumped the best post on this thread.

Correct.

Iggy Pope
31-10-2019, 02:43 PM

Agree with all of that, cant argue with any of it. Factually, emotionally, spot ion. Same boat as me and many others.
My OP though.
You’ve not chucked it.
You’re not fannying about on here battering your verbs in at every opportunity simply because you can as you’ve been handed a platform to talk ***** and provoke anyone reading this into a scrap about the Hibs when you choose not to go.
Support. That’s what I’m getting at. Wasn’t easy to accept the delivery 30 years ago as you know. Wasn’t easy 10 years ago. Wasn’t easy 50 years ago, 60 years ago, 80 years ago. It’s never easy. No one ever said it would be.

calumhibee1
31-10-2019, 02:48 PM
Looking back on last nights thread there is palpable disappointment that our team had the temerity to equalise. Honestly, **** that.

Just went back to read this on the match thread. The ****ing state of it.

And to think some of they posters were adamant that no Hibs fan wanted Hibs to lose :faf:

CraigHibee
31-10-2019, 02:51 PM

pretty much how i'm feeling myself

CLASS OF 72 -73
31-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Have to admit when we looked like losing at 0-2 part of me was quite happy that it might rid us of the impostor and and when Boyle scored a wee bit naffed that it probably saved the impostors job.
That said I am doing a 500 mile round trip to Hampden on Saturday as I did in 2016 so you never know.
The 18,000 I did in 2001 and 2007 shows we need to keep supporting this special club regardless if the manager is'nt one of us.
GGTTH

The Modfather
31-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Agree with all of that, cant argue with any of it. Factually, emotionally, spot ion. Same boat as me and many others.
My OP though.
You’ve not chucked it.
You’re not fannying about on here battering your verbs in at every opportunity simply because you can as you’ve been handed a platform to talk ***** and provoke anyone reading this into a scrap about the Hibs when you choose not to go.
Support. That’s what I’m getting at. Wasn’t easy to accept the delivery 30 years ago as you know. Wasn’t easy 10 years ago. Wasn’t easy 50 years ago, 60 years ago, 80 years ago. It’s never easy. No one ever said it would be.

You keep talking about those that have “chucked it”, what do you mean by chucked it? Those that have stopped going? Those that feel disconnected from the club? Those who have stopped enjoying games and are losing interest? We’re all Hibs fans are we not, is that not the basic crux of it all?

I agree that those who are overly negative or even seem to revel in it are tiresome, but they’re a minority, even on here. I think it can be just as argumentative from those that constantly talk about “gloryhunters”, “coming back when we are winning again”. Everyone has their own reasons for either going or not going. I’d suggest that, as others have more eloquently illustrated than me, the general malaise at the moment is more about how far we’ve regressed in all areas and how it increasingly is feeling like the Petrie pre relegation years, rather than the current poor form in it’s own right.

H18S NX
31-10-2019, 03:24 PM

I'm not happy. I'm not clapping. And it's not us Hibs, it's you....What a fantastic post,i wish i could express my feelings the way you have Sir.:top marks

CathroMustStay
31-10-2019, 03:46 PM

Sentimental nonsense.

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Some amongst us have forgotten what it's like for Hibs to win a game.

Danderhall Hibs
31-10-2019, 04:12 PM
Some amongst us have forgotten what it's like for Hibs to win a game.

That’s old age for you.

Killiehibbie
31-10-2019, 04:23 PM

Most of the people I speak to at games don't know or care what gets said by sad old men on forums.

matty_f
31-10-2019, 04:24 PM
Most of the people I speak to at games don't know or care what gets said by sad old men on forums.

Didn't feel there was any need to bring me into this, tbf. :greengrin

SideBurns
31-10-2019, 04:25 PM
Sentimental nonsense.

If there was no sentiment in supporting Hibs, why would any of us do it?? There certainly ain't logic involved!!

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2019, 04:33 PM
That’s old age for you.

:greengrin

Killiehibbie
31-10-2019, 04:36 PM
Didn't feel there was any need to bring me into this, tbf. :greengrin

That's what I thought. I might be old one day but not yet.

ancient hibee
31-10-2019, 04:48 PM
That's what I thought. I might be old one day but not yet.

I have to tell you that being old sure beats the alternative.

Scotty Leither
31-10-2019, 05:54 PM

I don't think you and me have ever agreed on one solitary point on this forum my friend, but hats off to you for the above excellently articulated post.

You've pretty much nailed stone dead where i'm at as well with the club right now. Well done again.

Joe6-2
31-10-2019, 06:07 PM

This
As the post says, we have had great teams and then plummeted, guys like myself who have supported Hibs for many years have maybe just had enough of the far too many lows, I’m scunnered at the moment

FilipinoHibs
31-10-2019, 06:26 PM

Here here. Watched Hibs for 50 years through thick and thin. Think we are suffering from the entitled generation of fans. Seen a lot worse Hibs teams and managers than this.

Iggy Pope
31-10-2019, 06:53 PM
Sentimental nonsense.

Hard assed.

Onion
31-10-2019, 07:01 PM
Heckingbottom's appointment and team of duds reminds us all what it's like to be a Hibby.

The euphoria of May 16, Europa adventure, beating Hearts and competitiveness of Lennon's teams was a short diversion.

Killiehibbie
31-10-2019, 07:05 PM
Heckingbottom's appointment and team of duds reminds us all what it's like to be a Hibby.

The euphoria of May 16, Europa adventure, beating Hearts and competitiveness of Lennon's teams was a short diversion.

We've got to aim higher than mediocrity.

Heisenberg
31-10-2019, 07:06 PM
What it’s like to be a Hibby? Mostly thoroughly depressing with a couple of brilliant moments sprinkled in between.

Onion
31-10-2019, 07:09 PM
We've got to aim higher than mediocrity.

Would take mediocrity at this point.

Sadly, don't think Heckingbottom can raise his game to produce it.

Iggy Pope
31-10-2019, 07:09 PM
You keep talking about those that have “chucked it”, what do you mean by chucked it? Those that have stopped going? Those that feel disconnected from the club? Those who have stopped enjoying games and are losing interest? We’re all Hibs fans are we not, is that not the basic crux of it all?

I agree that those who are overly negative or even seem to revel in it are tiresome, but they’re a minority, even on here. I think it can be just as argumentative from those that constantly talk about “gloryhunters”, “coming back when we are winning again”. Everyone has their own reasons for either going or not going. I’d suggest that, as others have more eloquently illustrated than me, the general malaise at the moment is more about how far we’ve regressed in all areas and how it increasingly is feeling like the Petrie pre relegation years, rather than the current poor form in it’s own right.

I don’t think I keep talking about anyone who has chucked it, I paraphrased an earlier poster who mentioned chucking in the towel and used part of the phrase to simply ask the question in reply. And I got answers so I’m happy with that. You weren’t one of them I had to ask I don’t think.
Of course the crux is as you mention. If people are losing interest then there’s humans for you. Can’t be anything done about that really.
I’m wondering out loud though, why they lose interest to the extent that they are compelled to come on to the premier Hibernian supporters forum to consistently and repeatedly bleat about their lot, malaise regression or not. What’s the point? Minority it may be but there’s loads of them losing interest loudly on here and making certain we all know it over and over again.

truehibernian
31-10-2019, 07:12 PM
What it’s like to be a Hibby? Mostly thoroughly depressing with a couple of brilliant moments sprinkled in between.

Last 4 years have seen me fall back in love with the club again despite the depressing years (and decades) you mention - right now, I'm back where I was years ago - they're in my DNA but I most certainly don't have the same connection. Top to bottom the club is awful this year.

jakedance
31-10-2019, 07:16 PM
It’s the missed opportunity that stinks the most. I’ve watched Hibs be underachievers for most of my life but everything was in place to get it consistently right for a change and the club ****ed it up completely.

When the team are alright and capable of competing I’ll be at 9/10 games. At times like this it’s half. I’ve got a family and other interests and when it comes down to it I can live without spending over twenty quid to be pissed off or, even worse, bored.

Captain Trips
31-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Here here. Watched Hibs for 50 years through thick and thin. Think we are suffering from the entitled generation of fans. Seen a lot worse Hibs teams and managers than this.

What were your thoughts when it was a lot worse than this?

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2019, 11:07 PM
Sentimental nonsense.

Sentiment is what keeps fitba clubs going mate .... It was sentiment that saved Hibs in the 90s, it was sentiment that made 8K Jambos ante up to save their club. Its sentiment that makes folk pay to watch a team they know is gash.

A fitba fan slagging sentiment is like a fish slagging water :greengrin

oldbutdim
31-10-2019, 11:27 PM
Sentiment is what keeps fitba clubs going mate .... It was sentiment that saved Hibs in the 90s, it was sentiment that made 8K Jambos ante up to save their club. Its sentiment that makes folk pay to watch a team they know is gash.

:thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
31-10-2019, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=scooby;5971927]I'll feel reborn as a Hibby when we have a manager who can put a team on the park that makes me proud to support. ///I've never felt so disconnected from the club. /// [//QUOTE]

Echoed throughout Hibstory since I can remember (attended my first match in 87)

Miller
Williamson
Calderwood
Fenton

To name but a few...

That’s not to downplay your feeling - it’s that we can and do emerge from the gloom.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-10-2019, 11:29 PM

Boom! Nailed it.

percy veer
01-11-2019, 12:05 AM
Don't get this Disconnected p***. Get your self connected as the Stereo MC's would say

HibeeHibernian4
01-11-2019, 12:59 AM

Spot on. :top marks

tonyrougier123
01-11-2019, 01:13 AM

We dinny occasionally suffer an unpopular manager, they flow through easter road quite regularly.

Danderhall Hibs
01-11-2019, 05:53 AM
Don't get this Disconnected p***. Get your self connected as the Stereo MC's would say

:agree: Said it yesterday - it’s just hyperbole.

HibeeHibernian4
01-11-2019, 11:00 AM
:agree: Said it yesterday - it’s just hyperbole.

It's either hyperbole or everybody's just collectively decided to forget the absolute dross of the Calderwood-Butcher era.

Why can't people just say they're unhappy with Heckingbottom and the results and therefore want him gone?

Why does it have to descend into this wailing about it being the worst Hibs team you've ever watched? We know that's not the case, you don't have to lie to justify why you want Heckingbottom gone. I want him gone too! :rolleyes:

WeeRussell
01-11-2019, 11:18 AM
It's either hyperbole or everybody's just collectively decided to forget the absolute dross of the Calderwood-Butcher era.

Why can't people just say they're unhappy with Heckingbottom and the results and therefore want him gone?

Why does it have to descend into this wailing about it being the worst Hibs team you've ever watched? We know that's not the case, you don't have to lie to justify why you want Heckingbottom gone. I want him gone too! :rolleyes:

Could be that they're not lying. Maybe they have a different opinion to you and genuinely believe that what they're watching is as bad as either of those terms.

It's not that outrageous.

FilipinoHibs
01-11-2019, 11:25 AM
What were your thoughts when it was a lot worse than this?

Oh yes long periods of the eighties were dire with some poor players and managers. We had 22 in a row and then 17. Going to every derby and hoping against hope. Crowds down to 5 to 6 thousand. ER almost a slum too.

.Sean.
01-11-2019, 11:26 AM

I think people are just absolutely scunnered. These days were meant to be past us. We have the complete stadium, the training ground, no debt. Yet here we are, 1 point of bottom and looking very much relegation candidates. We also have a board who are not communicating at all with the fans, another thing that was meant to be a thing of the past. We have went so far backwords in such a short time its unreal.
These two posts say it all for me.

The Modfather
01-11-2019, 11:30 AM

I’m not going to try and repeat One Day Soon’s post on the previous page as it sums everything up far better than I can.

For me feeling disconnected goes further than just the manager and the team. I’m unhappy Heckingbottom is still here and the football on offer. However we feel rudderless once again, a case of it being time to hand over our cash and just accept our lot again. That in itself is bad enough, but it’s even more amplified by seeing just how well Dempster did when she came in, in terms of engagement with the support, comms, excellent and imaginative marketing, a clear recruitment strategy and players we could relate to. It took us about 10-15 years to get to that point and probably not much more than a season to regress back to the pre relegation days.

basehibby
01-11-2019, 12:00 PM
Back to the OP, there's a wider point about our historic pishness. Excluding temporary stand in managers,we have had just under 20 managers since Eddie Turnbull's tornadoes. I would say 9 of those managers have been dismal, clear failures (Fenlon, Duffy, Calderwood), 9 have a mixed, or arguable legacy (Collins, Mixu, McLeish etc), and only 1, Tony Mowbray, clearly improved us as a team and made step changes to the culture that no-one can argue was positive-(of course some will argue he never actually won anything unlike Miller Stubbs and Collins, which is a fair point, it's all opinions).

Since I've been watching, we have been mostly mediocre or pish. With mediocre or pish management. With very brief and fleeting ridiculous highs, one in particular. If we'd have chucked in the towel or boycotted everytime a crap manager was appointed we'd be in the third division with third division crowds.

How you could class Stubbs as anything but a positive is beyond me. He won us the cup and recruited excellently FFS! McLeish also - the guy who brought us Latapy and Sauzee - I would struggle to see as anything but positive.

I take your general point though - by and large following Hibs in my lifetime has been a plodding marathon of disappointed hopes and expectations punctuated by occasional dizzying heights of joyousness. We had all hoped that with increased revenues resulting from the post cup win ST boom, and with all essential infrastructure bought and paid for, that we could be about to witness a period of near perpetual positivity - but no - the boom then bust cycle kicks in again :rolleyes:

Jim44
01-11-2019, 12:18 PM
I think a lot of folk will relax when the threat of relegation becomes unlikely/mathematically impossible. No fancy aspirations or expectations from me and I don’t think I’m alone.

hibsbollah
01-11-2019, 12:27 PM
How you could class Stubbs as anything but a positive is beyond me. He won us the cup and recruited excellently FFS! McLeish also - the guy who brought us Latapy and Sauzee - I would struggle to see as anything but positive.

I take your general point though - by and large following Hibs in my lifetime has been a plodding marathon of disappointed hopes and expectations punctuated by occasional dizzying heights of joyousness. We had all hoped that with increased revenues resulting from the post cup win ST boom, and with all essential infrastructure bought and paid for, that we could be about to witness a period of near perpetual positivity - but no - the boom then bust cycle kicks in again :rolleyes:

For a lot of Hibs fans Stubbs repeated inability to get out of the championship was the other side of the equation, and for McLeish he had the biggest relative budget we've ever had and maybe underachieved with those players. Broadly speaking I agree with you that both left us in a better place than they found us, and I like them both. But I think it's fair to say both were a bit of a mixed bag.

tonyrougier123
01-11-2019, 12:34 PM
For a lot of Hibs fans Stubbs repeated inability to get out of the championship was the other side of the equation, and for McLeish he had the biggest relative budget we've ever had and maybe underachieved with those players. Broadly speaking I agree with you that both left us in a better place than they found us, and I like them both. But I think it's fair to say both were a bit of a mixed bag.

At this point I'm salivating at the mere thought of the football stubbsy offered up.

Not that I would want him back in as gaffer.
No sure we would see the same results with this team.

hibsbollah
01-11-2019, 12:45 PM
At this point I'm salivating at the mere thought of the football stubbsy offered up.

Not that I would want him back in as gaffer.
No sure we would see the same results with this team.

Beating the Hun 4-0 was the high point in terms of performance. David Gray and Lewis were terrorising them from full back and he got performances out of decent but not world beating pros like Robertson, Craig and Fontaine that I never thought anyone could get. It's actually his ability to make decent players better, makes me think he might work with this group of players we have now.

Iggy Pope
01-11-2019, 02:04 PM
Could be that they're not lying. Maybe they have a different opinion to you and genuinely believe that what they're watching is as bad as either of those terms.

It's not that outrageous.

Wee Russell. It is bad. What I can’t understand though is this. Diehards might well die that bit harder. I can see people slipping from away games but still bowling along when it takes them, fair enough. Understandable. I can see other stalwarts saying no more away games. I can see home boys picking and choosing when to go to ER..
I can’t understand indifference, this balls about disconnection, disinterest. Someone said DNA. You don’t lose that, you don’t buy it either.
I can’t understand why the sole purpose of lost allegiance amounts to coming on here simply to vent a spleen or to antagonise those that continue to support or simply to get one up on how much more disgusted Outraged A is than Outraged B. It’s a bit *****. And it’s contagious.

Smartie
01-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Beating the Hun 4-0 was the high point in terms of performance. David Gray and Lewis were terrorising them from full back and he got performances out of decent but not world beating pros like Robertson, Craig and Fontaine that I never thought anyone could get. It's actually his ability to make decent players better, makes me think he might work with this group of players we have now.

He didn't make a great start (huge mitigating circumstances right enough) and until a few weeks into October his team were a bit like Heckingbottom's - struggling to make a 4-5-1 work and a bit "meh". Once he got Scott Allan fit and stumbled across the diamond (and occasionally the 352) we were off and running. I honestly don't think we're miles away from being able to do similar right now, but will Hecky be able to? I don't think so, would love to be wrong.

Stubbs wasn't a master tactician but he seemed to me to have a decent instinct and the styles he played suited our players. I think he'd do better with this group of players but like any manager, I think he'd need to reinforce in January to make us a good side.

Danderhall Hibs
01-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Wee Russell. It is bad. What I can’t understand though is this. Diehards might well die that bit harder. I can see people slipping from away games but still bowling along when it takes them, fair enough. Understandable. I can see other stalwarts saying no more away games. I can see home boys picking and choosing when to go to ER..
I can’t understand indifference, this balls about disconnection, disinterest. Someone said DNA. You don’t lose that, you don’t buy it either.
I can’t understand why the sole purpose of lost allegiance amounts to coming on here simply to vent a spleen or to antagonise those that continue to support or simply to get one up on how much more disgusted Outraged A is than Outraged B. It’s a bit *****. And it’s contagious.

Killiehibbie
01-11-2019, 02:30 PM
Oh yes long periods of the eighties were dire with some poor players and managers. We had 22 in a row and then 17. Going to every derby and hoping against hope. Crowds down to 5 to 6 thousand. ER almost a slum too.

That would've been a good crowd some weeks, i'm sure there were a few sub 4,000 attendances.

WeeRussell
01-11-2019, 03:16 PM

Fair response Iggy. Regarding 'disconnection' I think there's a number of angles here.. and I'm not saying any of them are right, or that I condone them:

Some people may be using 'disconnection' as a better term for "if we get beat maybe they'll empty the manager" and therefore don't get as hyped up for games as they usually do, kind of forcing themselves into not putting their heart right into wanting us to win. Or simply disconnected as in.. waiting for the manager to go before they return and admit to having any interest.

Some, and I think this is more likely, will naturally have lost some of the emotion they usually feel at the weekend for Hibs simply because they're not attending as many games.

And others I think use it as a term, rightly or wrongly, to describe their frustration at losing touch with all the good the club had been doing recently.

Maybe it's a combination of some of the above. Personally I wouldn't describe myself as disinterested or disconnected.. just really p1ssed off and sick of what I've seen this season.

And I think you're spot-on with your last statement in bold.

Iggy Pope
01-11-2019, 06:32 PM
Fair response Iggy. Regarding 'disconnection' I think there's a number of angles here.. and I'm not saying any of them are right, or that I condone them:

Some people may be using 'disconnection' as a better term for "if we get beat maybe they'll empty the manager" and therefore don't get as hyped up for games as they usually do, kind of forcing themselves into not putting their heart right into wanting us to win. Or simply disconnected as in.. waiting for the manager to go before they return and admit to having any interest.

Some, and I think this is more likely, will naturally have lost some of the emotion they usually feel at the weekend for Hibs simply because they're not attending as many games.

And others I think use it as a term, rightly or wrongly, to describe their frustration at losing touch with all the good the club had been doing recently.

Maybe it's a combination of some of the above. Personally I wouldn't describe myself as disinterested or disconnected.. just really p1ssed off and sick of what I've seen this season.

And I think you're spot-on with your last statement in bold.

I know. Everyone with a heart is sick of it Russell and that’s why we can’t ever lose interest. It eats at us and won’t go away, ever. We all wake up and that ***** yesterday jumps into the head doesn’t it? Follows you around at work, on the telly, radio.
A worry about the knock on of a lot of recent dialogue on here is this though, drawing a comparison if you like. Sometimes on here things get a bit radge and we are often reminded that kids read these pages. I’d be trying to convince any kid of mine that some of what he or she reads on here isn’t really what supporting the Hibs is all about.

GIBBY NEWTON
01-11-2019, 06:48 PM

Well said 100% correct imo,others have their own opinions but we’re all Hibby’s !!!