PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Livingston 30 10 19)

Jonnyboy
30-10-2019, 10:41 PM
At the start of the game tonight I was hopeful of a favourable outcome. By half time I was fizzing mad at what I’d just watched. At full time I was both relieved and a bit proud but more of that later. Five minutes before the end I was laughing my socks off as Barry had just announced that the Sponsors man of the match was Daryl Horgan – proof, if proof were needed that it’s more about who the sponsors want to meet rather than who was the best player on the day.

With social media awash with rumours about our manager the first thing to look out for was whether he’d appear on the bench following his suspension and sure enough, there he was. He’d made changes from the last time out with James, Horgan, Middleton and Doidge getting the nod whilst there was a place on the bench for Martin Boyle, now recovered from injury.

I understand Ron Gordon was in the stand and just what he made of the ‘sacked in the morning’ chants towards Heckingbottom at half time is anybody’s guess.

Prior to kick off I said I wanted to see Hibs attack from the off but it was Livingston that almost opened the scoring after just a couple of minutes of play. Pittman beat Maxwell from about ten yards but Tom James was on hand to clear the effort before it went into the net. Lawless then came close before Hibs finally got themselves up the park with Middleton seeing an effort saved before Livi again surged forward and a long range effort went just beyond Maxwell’s right hand post.

As has been the case for far too long this season, Hibs plodded along with little or no urgency in their play whilst Livingston moved the ball around sharply and had men making runs galore trying to get in behind the Hibs rearguard. One chance does stick in the mind and that came from a short corner move which saw James fire in a rocket shot from around twenty yards but the Livi keeper reacted smartly to tip the ball over the bar. Around five minutes from half time the Hibs defence failed to deal with a bog standard cross into the box and the ball fell to Lawless who fired home via a deflection from Paul Hanlon. Very quickly thereafter, Mallan was too soft in the challenge and Sibbald hammered the ball home to double Livi’s advantage.

Unsurprisingly the distress in the home stands was all too audible but in truth the criticism was completely fair as Hibs were dire in that opening half. During the interval I noticed Kamberi getting called in early and so it was obvious he was going to be coming on. I thought, given the manager’s insistence in playing with a lone striker, we’d see the ineffective Doidge replaced and had that been the case I don’t think anyone would have been surprised or disappointed because the big number nine had been very poor. Instead we had Middleton, the one bright spot in a toiling first half, replaced much to the confusion of everyone around me.

I’m not sure what the manager had to say at half time but there seemed at last to be some purpose to Hibs’ play. That might have been helped by Livi seemingly happy to sit in and protect their lead but they paid the penalty, literally, around fifteen minutes in when Scott Allan seemed to be tripped in the box by Marvin Bartley with referee Gavin Duncan instantly pointing to the spot. After the usual barrage of complaints by the Livi players, Scotty stepped forward and hammered the ball home to give Hibs a lifeline.

Hibs seemed revitalised and moments after scoring should have gotten an equaliser but Hanlon headed over the bar from close in when scoring looked easier. The fans were right behind the players now and the men in green and white pushed forward at every opportunity, earning a fair few corners and looking like they’d saved the day when clever play on the edge of the Livi box saw the ball squared to the unmarked Horgan but the Hibs man shot straight at the keeper when any effort aimed to the side would have gone in.

With fifteen minutes left, Livi should have secured the three points when a woeful back pass by Mallan was gathered by Tiffoney who rounded Maxwell but with the goal empty he hit his shot into the side netting. Hibs responded by pushing hard for an equaliser and not quite finding the killer pass. With ten minutes left a huge cheer announced the arrival of Martin Boyle who replaced a tiring Hallberg. The first couple of instances involving Boyle saw him fail to judge the pace of a pass and then running the ball out of play but given the length of his absence it was no surprise that he wasn’t up to speed.

Ironically, it was Boyler’s speed that won the day for Hibs as he raced on to a through ball, squeezed between two defenders and then drew the Livi keeper before steering the ball in to the bottom corner. This was in time added on and made the difference between Hibs finishing the night at the bottom of the table and instead going up to ninth.

Earlier on I mentioned that I had a feeling of pride in the later stages of the game and that pride was in my fellow supporters. It would have been so easy and perhaps even understandable if we’d voiced our displeasure as the second half time ticked away but instead we had a support that roared our players on, getting right behind them until the final whistle. Sure, there was a bit of booing at the end but those that stayed until the finish applauded the efforts of the players.

We fought hard for that point but the outcome whilst welcome does not paper over the cracks. Those with positive takes on all things Hibs may say that’s six league games unbeaten and I can’t argue with that because it’s a fact. However, what’s also a fact is that eleven games into the season we have a measly nine points on the board. That’s just not good enough and I actually fear what Celtic might do to us at Hampden at the weekend.

The players

Maxwell – Was cruelly exposed for both goals and so I don’t think it would be fair to fault him for either.

James – First half – struggled – second half got better and looked ok going forward if not one hundred percent comfortable defending.

Porteous – Given that both of the goals we conceded were from a central position I don’t think Ryan was quite as impressive as he has been of late.

Hanlon – like Porteous he was all at sea for both goals and he really should have scored with that header shortly after our first goal.

Stevenson – Glimmers of the better form we know he’s capable of and I was delighted to see him get forward more often than of late.

Horgan – I’ve never hidden the fact that I think Daryl is a frustrating and often invisible player and tonight, despite his man of the match award by the sponsor, was no exception.

Mallan – I’m afraid he had a stinker tonight. Powder puff in the challenge and oh so very lucky that his appalling pass back didn’t result in a third goal for Livi.

Hallberg – Played mostly in a deep lying position tonight and had some good patches of play but given the role he was playing I felt he was often left with little or no support.

Allan – Shadowed from the off by Marvin Bartley he (and Marv I’d guess) enjoyed the experience as they traded blows and then hugged each other affectionately at the end. Given that he never stopped trying to create I’ve plumped for Scotty as my man of the match.

Middleton – I thought he was the one bright spot in a poor first half but, assuming he wasn’t injured, the manager clearly didn’t agree.

Doidge – I can’t think of one single good thing to say about our number nine.

Kamberi – Only got the second half but was lively enough with lots of good movement and thankfully none of those irritating flicks he produced endlessly against Ross County.

Boyle – Boy have we missed him! What a way to make your comeback though as his one on one finish was excellent and kept us off the bottom of the league.

Referee Gavin Duncan – Didn’t get anything majorly wrong.

Heckingbottom – I heard his interview as I drove home. He went from calling some of the players out for not giving 100% to later praising them for their resilience. I’m still in the ‘must go’ camp.

The fans – As I alluded to earlier, I thought the backing we gave the players in that second half was phenomenal and so much more enjoyable than the negativity that’s been around in previous games.

DaveF
30-10-2019, 10:52 PM
Mallam was poor but he crossed for Hanlon who missed a header. And he setup Boyle for the winner.

And almost setup Livi with a third so he wasn't all bad 😀

franck sauzee
30-10-2019, 10:54 PM
At the start of the game tonight I was hopeful of a favourable outcome. By half time I was fizzing mad at what I’d just watched. At full time I was both relieved and a bit proud but more of that later. Five minutes before the end I was laughing my socks off as Barry had just announced that the Sponsors man of the match was Daryl Horgan – proof, if proof were needed that it’s more about who the sponsors want to meet rather than who was the best player on the day.

With social media awash with rumours about our manager the first thing to look out for was whether he’d appear on the bench following his suspension and sure enough, there he was. He’d made changes from the last time out with James, Horgan, Middleton and Doidge getting the nod whilst there was a place on the bench for Martin Boyle, now recovered from injury.

I understand Ron Gordon was in the stand and just what he made of the ‘sacked in the morning’ chants towards Heckingbottom at half time is anybody’s guess.

Prior to kick off I said I wanted to see Hibs attack from the off but it was Livingston that almost opened the scoring after just a couple of minutes of play. Pittman beat Maxwell from about ten yards but Tom James was on hand to clear the effort before it went into the net. Lawless then came close before Hibs finally got themselves up the park with Middleton seeing an effort saved before Livi again surged forward and a long range effort went just beyond Maxwell’s right hand post.

As has been the case for far too long this season, Hibs plodded along with little or no urgency in their play whilst Livingston moved the ball around sharply and had men making runs galore trying to get in behind the Hibs rearguard. One chance does stick in the mind and that came from a short corner move which saw James fire in a rocket shot from around twenty yards but the Livi keeper reacted smartly to tip the ball over the bar. Around five minutes from half time the Hibs defence failed to deal with a bog standard cross into the box and the ball fell to Lawless who fired home via a deflection from Paul Hanlon. Very quickly thereafter, Mallan was too soft in the challenge and Sibbald hammered the ball home to double Livi’s advantage.

Unsurprisingly the distress in the home stands was all too audible but in truth the criticism was completely fair as Hibs were dire in that opening half. During the interval I noticed Kamberi getting called in early and so it was obvious he was going to be coming on. I thought, given the manager’s insistence in playing with a lone striker, we’d see the ineffective Doidge replaced and had that been the case I don’t think anyone would have been surprised or disappointed because the big number nine had been very poor. Instead we had Middleton, the one bright spot in a toiling first half, replaced much to the confusion of everyone around me.

I’m not sure what the manager had to say at half time but there seemed at last to be some purpose to Hibs’ play. That might have been helped by Livi seemingly happy to sit in and protect their lead but they paid the penalty, literally, around fifteen minutes in when Scott Allan seemed to be tripped in the box by Marvin Bartley with referee Gavin Duncan instantly pointing to the spot. After the usual barrage of complaints by the Livi players, Scotty stepped forward and hammered the ball home to give Hibs a lifeline.

Hibs seemed revitalised and moments after scoring should have gotten an equaliser but Hanlon headed over the bar from close in when scoring looked easier. The fans were right behind the players now and the men in green and white pushed forward at every opportunity, earning a fair few corners and looking like they’d saved the day when clever play on the edge of the Livi box saw the ball squared to the unmarked Horgan but the Hibs man shot straight at the keeper when any effort aimed to the side would have gone in.

With fifteen minutes left, Livi should have secured the three points when a woeful back pass by Mallan was gathered by Tiffoney who rounded Maxwell but with the goal empty he hit his shot into the side netting. Hibs responded by pushing hard for an equaliser and not quite finding the killer pass. With ten minutes left a huge cheer announced the arrival of Martin Boyle who replaced a tiring Hallberg. The first couple of instances involving Boyle saw him fail to judge the pace of a pass and then running the ball out of play but given the length of his absence it was no surprise that he wasn’t up to speed.

Ironically, it was Boyler’s speed that won the day for Hibs as he raced on to a through ball, squeezed between two defenders and then drew the Livi keeper before steering the ball in to the bottom corner. This was in time added on and made the difference between Hibs finishing the night at the bottom of the table and instead going up to ninth.

Earlier on I mentioned that I had a feeling of pride in the later stages of the game and that pride was in my fellow supporters. It would have been so easy and perhaps even understandable if we’d voiced our displeasure as the second half time ticked away but instead we had a support that roared our players on, getting right behind them until the final whistle. Sure, there was a bit of booing at the end but those that stayed until the finish applauded the efforts of the players.

We fought hard for that point but the outcome whilst welcome does not paper over the cracks. Those with positive takes on all things Hibs may say that’s six league games unbeaten and I can’t argue with that because it’s a fact. However, what’s also a fact is that eleven games into the season we have a measly nine points on the board. That’s just not good enough and I actually fear what Celtic might do to us at Hampden at the weekend.

The players

Maxwell – Was cruelly exposed for both goals and so I don’t think it would be fair to fault him for either.

James – First half – struggled – second half got better and looked ok going forward if not one hundred percent comfortable defending.

Porteous – Given that both of the goals we conceded were from a central position I don’t think Ryan was quite as impressive as he has been of late.

Hanlon – like Porteous he was all at sea for both goals and he really should have scored with that header shortly after our first goal.

Stevenson – Glimmers of the better form we know he’s capable of and I was delighted to see him get forward more often than of late.

Horgan – I’ve never hidden the fact that I think Daryl is a frustrating and often invisible player and tonight, despite his man of the match award by the sponsor, was no exception.

Mallan – I’m afraid he had a stinker tonight. Powder puff in the challenge and oh so very lucky that his appalling pass back didn’t result in a third goal for Livi.

Hallberg – Played mostly in a deep lying position tonight and had some good patches of play but given the role he was playing I felt he was often left with little or no support.

Allan – Shadowed from the off by Marvin Bartley he (and Marv I’d guess) enjoyed the experience as they traded blows and then hugged each other affectionately at the end. Given that he never stopped trying to create I’ve plumped for Scotty as my man of the match.

Middleton – I thought he was the one bright spot in a poor first half but, assuming he wasn’t injured, the manager clearly didn’t agree.

Kamberi – Only got the second half but was lively enough with lots of good movement and thankfully none of those irritating flicks he produced endlessly against Ross County.

Boyle – Boy have we missed him! What a way to make your comeback though as his one on one finish was excellent and kept us off the bottom of the league.

Heckingbottom – I heard his interview as I drove home. He went from calling some of the players out for not giving 100% to later praising them for their resilience. I’m still in the ‘must go’ camp.

The fans – As I alluded to earlier, I thought the backing we gave the players in that second half was phenomenal and so much more enjoyable than the negativity that’s been around in previous games.

Usually agree with most of what you say Jonnyboy. Tonight I can't agree about Middleton. I don't see it with him. He starts of fairly bright but other than one good cross there's not many positives for me. He missed a bit of a sitter too. Also to have him, Horgan, Mallan and Allan on the pitch all at the same time. None of which particularly help out defensively

Hibeesmad
30-10-2019, 10:55 PM
Mallam was poor but he crossed for Hanlon who missed a header. And he setup Boyle for the winner.

And almost setup Livi with a third so he wasn't all bad 😀

I thought it was Stevenson who assisted Boyle, could be wrong as I haven’t seen the highlights yet.

Sir David Gray
30-10-2019, 10:58 PM
Usually agree with most of what you say Jonnyboy. Tonight I can't agree about Middleton. I don't see it with him. He starts of fairly bright but other than one good cross there's not many positives for me. He missed a bit of a sitter too. Also to have him, Horgan, Mallan and Allan on the pitch all at the same time. None of which particularly help out defensively

I thought he was awful tonight and has generally been rotten since he came in.

I've not been impressed at all.

Edinburgh Green
30-10-2019, 11:05 PM
Very harsh on Doidge, won most of his battles and linked well.

04Sauzee
30-10-2019, 11:06 PM
Thought Middleton was poor, Horgan was brutal first half Halberg played well and Doidge put himself about.

04Sauzee

That's how I saw it

Hibeesmad

Did he touch the ball in the first 20 minutes? He made a great turn to take a shot on in the first half and won a few aerial battles, I don’t think he should play as a lone striker however, could possibly link up well with Boyle.

DavidDavidGray
30-10-2019, 11:07 PM

Couldn’t say anything about Doidge. Had zero impact on tonight’s game

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2019, 11:08 PM
Brilliant once again Jonnyboy spot on

Scott Allan was my MOM though watching the match back on BBC Alba appeared to throw himself down to the ground for the penalty and according to Big Marv apologised to him at the end of the game

I also agree about the fans those that stayed until the end got right behind the team because they could see that they were giving everything for the club and the Manager

That is all you can ask for but hasn’t happened often enough as Hecky alluded to in his post match interview

Jim44
30-10-2019, 11:09 PM
I don’t think SA was tripped. He lost his footing running between the two Livi defenders. Still, these decisions can go against us, so we’ll take it, thanks very much.

Greenbeard
30-10-2019, 11:11 PM
Can't agree that Doidge did nothing of note.
He ran on the park for KO, and then off again at HT.
And his second half was just as productive as the first.
How much are we paying this guy to be an absolute passenger?

Also had previously thought James was excused from the bad-signings mob, but apart from his early shot, I thought he was poor tonight. He ain't no David Gray that's for sure.

B.H.F.C
30-10-2019, 11:17 PM

A striker that isn’t a goal threat.

wookie70
30-10-2019, 11:22 PM

I disagree with the OP about quite a few of the players tonight particularly Hanlon who I thought was MOTM and Allan who I thought was mediocre at best but agree completely with his thoughts on Doidge. Lacklustre, little or no closing down, hides behind the centre half when a cross is coming in and generally just a very poor performance. I really like Flo but he was poor tonight but constantly got involved running channels and trying to take his man on. It never happened for him but he at least had a spark. Doidge was a damp Squib tonight.

Hibeesmad
30-10-2019, 11:22 PM
Horgan looked tired after 15 minutes

B.H.F.C
30-10-2019, 11:25 PM
Horgan looked tired after 15 minutes

His quality was poor at times. Most of the time actually.

But I thought he was one that kept going and kept looking for the ball. I think he cares a lot more than some of them. He’ll need about 3 weeks off after playing a full game though.

Jonnyboy
30-10-2019, 11:25 PM
I thought it was Stevenson who assisted Boyle, could be wrong as I haven’t seen the highlights yet.

It was ✅

Hibeesmad
30-10-2019, 11:29 PM
His quality was poor at times. Most of the time actually.

But I thought he was one that kept going and kept looking for the ball. I think he cares a lot more than some of them. He’ll need about 3 weeks off after playing a full game though.

His attempted pass through to Mallan I believe it was in the first half which went out for a goal kick was abysmal. His shooting was awful tonight too. He definitely puts his heart and soul into it but he just tires up too quickly leading to silly mistakes, giving the ball away against Rangers last season leading to McGregor getting sent off springs to mind as an example.

bookert
30-10-2019, 11:32 PM
I disagree with the OP about quite a few of the players tonight particularly Hanlon who I thought was MOTM and Allan who I thought was mediocre at best but agree completely with his thoughts on Doidge. Lacklustre, little or no closing down, hides behind the centre half when a cross is coming in and generally just a very poor performance. I really like Flo but he was poor tonight but constantly got involved running channels and trying to take his man on. It never happened for him but he at least had a spark. Doidge was a damp Squib tonight.

Agree with the fact that hanlon was hibs best player, although concerned that he is often left with no option but to drive forward with the ball because nobody in the midfield has the confidence to offer for a pass. That said he had a couple of good runs, one laying a great opportunity for horgan who hit it straight at the keeper.
Horgan I thought was good in the second half moving into a more central role and created the chance that led to the penalty.
Mallan was poor for the second goal and almost gifted a third, and generally did nothing that meant he should have remained on the park.

Unseen work
30-10-2019, 11:34 PM
It was ✅

It was Mallan that got the assist.

04Sauzee
30-10-2019, 11:35 PM
It was ✅

Was it not Mallan?

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2019, 11:59 PM
Decent summing up, but like a few others I'm struggling to see what impact Middleton had on the game. I thought Horgan at least tried to make a difference, though his shooting was rank rotten, and I have to say I thought Flo made some really good runs with his movement reminding me of the Kamberi of the 17/18 season.

That second half though was the most enjoyable 45 minutes I've had at ER this season if for no other reason than we finally saw a team at least trying to give 100% so hats off to them for that, they actually deserved the great backing they got and the applause at the end.

It changes nothing though ... One win in 11 games is totally unacceptable, for me it should be the case that only a win at Hampden on Saturday should save Heckingbottom and even then I think to keep him on after then win or lose will be a huge mistake.

AZhibee
31-10-2019, 01:56 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy

Hermit Crab
31-10-2019, 03:42 AM
Horgans pish pass gave livy the ball back as it went out for a goal kick, thats how the first goal came about.

The second goal was terrible from Mallan, shat it in the tackle. Not strong enough.

judas
31-10-2019, 05:53 AM

The players

Great review again and I’m glad you mentioned that fans who were outstanding.

Smartie
31-10-2019, 07:41 AM
I thought Hallberg was excellent again.

Doidge did a lot of good work outside the box first half but it meant he was missing when the ball came in. I thought he was good in the second half and looked quite sprightly getting onto some knock downs.

It was another poor result but we didn’t play all that badly.

I thought Mallan was hopeless. I reckon about 50% of our problems come from shoehorning him into a role he’s no good at. He fights it out with Allan for that role behind the strikers or doesn’t play at all. A “proper” midfielder in his place (ideally a bit of a leader you can count on when the going gets tough) and 2 up front , I think we’re nearly there.

I_Love_Latapy
31-10-2019, 07:47 AM
My feeling at half time was that our two wide midfielders weren’t doing enough with & without the ball. We looked a lot better when Kamberi came on, yes because two up front, but also because we had more strength on the left flank. Middleton looks a bit outmuscled at times. Horgan gives 100% but always a bit inconsistent for me: passing, tacking, shooting.

Hanlon my MOTM - generally good at the back and trying to drive forward.

PeeJay
31-10-2019, 07:53 AM
Good report as ever - Doidge isn't used as he could be as far as I can see - he had an excellent knock-down header in the 1st half after some good interplay on the left wing only for Horgan to fluff his shot that was saved off the line - maybe you all missed it? :greengrin - Mallan had one or two good crosses (one for Hanlon) and the ball to Boyle for the goal - otherwise he was mostly poor last night.
Agree about Stevenson - thought Hanlon played the captain's role well - he fought hard, OK he made mistakes too, but he pushed forward and desperately wanted the game to be saved, he and Stevenson had that fighting spirit IMO.
Thought Middleton had some decent runs: was surprised he was replaced, we looked better with Flo on - he had a good game. Defensively we are not organised at all for some reason. 22 goals we have lost?

Thought Livi tired markedly after an energetic 1st half, Bartley was really good for them on the night.

As to the "outstanding fans" - booing after losing a deflected goal makes me question that a bit, particularly as the 1st half until the goal it was an evenly balanced game.

Forza Fred
31-10-2019, 07:55 AM

Yep, I thought Doidge battled well when any scraps came his way.

He had a couple of knockdowns with his head and chest that could have led to goals.

Danderhall Hibs
31-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Doidge could do with a proper striker to play alongside him. One of those guys that get criticised for “all he does is score goals”.

Brightside
31-10-2019, 07:59 AM
Doidge could do with a proper striker to play alongside him. One of those guys that get criticised for “all he does is score goals”.

Yep - bring back maclaren.

Frankhfc
31-10-2019, 08:14 AM
I still like Mallan a lot. His ball in to the middle from the corner kick to the onracing Hanlon was sublime and should have ended in a Hanlon goal. Sure there's aspects to his game that can be criticised but for me he's well worth sticking with. I don't think we deserved to go in at half time two goals down but it was great to watch the team fightback to earn the draw. We need to show that same fight every week.

Brightside
31-10-2019, 08:16 AM
I still like Mallan a lot. His ball in to the middle from the corner kick to the onracing Hanlon was sublime and should have ended in a Hanlon goal. Sure there's aspects to his game that can be criticised but for me he's well worth sticking with. I don't think we deserved to go in at half time two goals down but it was great to watch the team fightback to earn the draw. We need to show that same fight every week.

He can't tackle.....like cant tackle at all. Surprised he's never been injured more with his attempts at it.

Bobby's Cinema
31-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Does it not show that when we are forced to go for it and go two up top we look a much better team?
That's what I thought was evident.

Strange take on things from the manager to call out the players to only start playing once 2down, I would have thought build on the effort shown in the second half rather than beat them down.
I still think the blame lies at his door for the approach and set-up putting us in these positions, as opposed to the players.

Allan dragged us through that game was a clear MOTM for me.

hibee_girl
31-10-2019, 08:41 AM
He can't tackle.....like cant tackle at all. Surprised he's never been injured more with his attempts at it.

It’s not so much he can’t tackle, it’s that he clearly doesn’t want to so just doesn’t bother half the time. Then when he does attempt it it’s a half hearted attempt.

I lost patience with Mallan a long time ago and can not get my head around why he starts every game.

Smartie
31-10-2019, 08:52 AM
Does it not show that when we are forced to go for it and go two up top we look a much better team?
That's what I thought was evident.

Strange take on things from the manager to call out the players to only start playing once 2down, I would have thought build on the effort shown in the second half rather than beat them down.
I still think the blame lies at his door for the approach and set-up putting us in these positions, as opposed to the players.

Allan dragged us through that game was a clear MOTM for me.

I agree with all your points, they pretty much sum up the onfield situation at Hibs for me.

Smartie
31-10-2019, 08:55 AM
It’s not so much he can’t tackle, it’s that he clearly doesn’t want to so just doesn’t bother half the time. Then when he does attempt it it’s a half hearted attempt.

I lost patience with Mallan a long time ago and can not get my head around why he starts every game.

He is the only player that appears to be guaranteed a start totally irrespective of how he is playing or who we are playing and that was the same under Lennon.

I'm half-thinking he must have something in his contract that says he must play if fit as he certainly doesn't always get in the team on merit, we've got other players who can take set pieces, and every other player who has anything like as bad a game as he is capable of having quickly finds themselves out of the team.

H18S NX
31-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Agree Scott Allan MOM,didn't think it was a penalty though.

brog
31-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Re Mallan, on the negative side, dreadful pass back, thankfully an even more dreadful miss, perhaps the piece of luck we needed. Also his "challenge" for their 2nd goal was woeful. On the plus side his left foot half volley pass for our 2nd was excellent. He orchestrated the top class training ground set piece in 1st half for the Tom James shot & chipped the ball in superbly for Paul H's header. It's just a facet of the modern game that it's difficult to have 2 creative midfielders in same team & the fans will always want Scotty to play, & forgive him for not making tackles! No one expected Bobby Johnstone, Willie Hamilton or Alex Edwards to tackle & Scotty is our current equivalent. Unfortunately this means Stevie M is regularly played out of position & he'll probably continue to produce a mixed bag such as last night. I do wish our crowd would be as balanced in their support for Stevie as for Scotty however.
Re the 2 ball player conundrum, if only we'd recently had a ball winner or 2 that would have allowed both SA & SM to play off them more freely!! :wink:

brog
31-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Sorry John, meant to say, excellent as ever. Re the pen, I think Marv accidentally caught Scotty's heel as he came in from behind. Scotty was wincing after he scored the pen.

Peevemor
31-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Sorry John, meant to say, excellent as ever. Re the pen, I think Marv accidentally caught Scotty's heel as he came in from behind. Scotty was wincing after he scored the pen.I think someone accidentally stood on his calf after he went down.

JimBHibees
31-10-2019, 11:10 AM
I thought he was awful tonight and has generally been rotten since he came in.

I've not been impressed at all.

Awful really, thought he was good provided a few good crosses and was a threat. Personally was amazed he got hooked as would have hooked Horgan though to be fair Daryl was better second half apart from missing a huge chance near the end when Hanlon had a brilliant run.