PDA

View Full Version : DON'T boycott Wednesday - fans need to support now

Alan62
30-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Time for us to step up and support the team. And always remember, that great day at Hampden in 2016 was so special not just because we won but because of all the times we'd lost. If you want good times only, join the glory hunters who follow the fortunes of teams sponsored by Arab sheikhs or brush up on your folk songs and take the bus west.

We'll be here long after any of the current incumbents are gone so dust down your scarf, dig out your winter coat, tune-up your singing voice and get your butt down to Easter Road and support your team when it needs you most.

staunchhibby
30-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Well said

ionahibby
30-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Well said. Too many on here seem to think we have a right to win every game. We don’t, support your team. Let’s be honest all this talk of boycotts is very childish. “I’m not happy we haven’t won so I will throw my toys out the pram” brigade

weecounty hibby
30-10-2019, 12:16 PM
👍👍👍🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

Booked4Being-Ugly
30-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Time for us to step up and support the team. And always remember, that great day at Hampden in 2016 was so special not just because we won but because of all the times we'd lost. If you want good times only, join the glory hunters who follow the fortunes of teams sponsored by Arab sheikhs or brush up on your folk songs and take the bus west.

We'll be here long after any of the current incumbents are gone so dust down your scarf, dig out your winter coat, tune-up your singing voice and get your butt down to Easter Road and support your team when it needs you most.
:top marks

FilipinoHibs
30-10-2019, 12:17 PM
We need to stay up. Support the team. PH will be gone soon win or loose.

Antifa Hibs
30-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Well said. Too many on here seem to think we have a right to win every game. We don’t, support your team. Let’s be honest all this talk of boycotts is very childish. “I’m not happy we haven’t won so I will throw my toys out the pram” brigade

It's not about not winning. It's about being utter ***** without any leadership on the park, in the dugout or in the boardroom. From being taking from the highs of 2016 that only winning the Scottish Cup 1 time in 114 years could bring to the pish currently on offer.

I'm undecided if i'm going tonight, TBH its out my hands. If my partner can be home for 7pm then i'll be at the match, if she can't then i'll be at home and will miss the game. Not arsed either way tbh, if i'm there i'm there if not i'm not. It will be a pish game, zero atmosphere and will turn pretty nasty if we don't get 3 points.

Ozyhibby
30-10-2019, 12:29 PM
How come it’s the fans that need to step up when the board show no sign of stepping up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
30-10-2019, 12:35 PM
It's not about not winning. It's about being utter ***** without any leadership on the park, in the dugout or in the boardroom. From being taking from the highs of 2016 that only winning the Scottish Cup 1 time in 114 years could bring to the pish currently on offer.

I'm undecided if i'm going tonight, TBH its out my hands. If my partner can be home for 7pm then i'll be at the match, if she can't then i'll be at home and will miss the game. Not arsed either way tbh, if i'm there i'm there if not i'm not. It will be a pish game, zero atmosphere and will turn pretty nasty if we don't get 3 points.

:agree:

matty_f
30-10-2019, 12:36 PM
How come it’s the fans that need to step up when the board show no sign of stepping up?

Maybe the board AND the fans could step up?

Alan62
30-10-2019, 12:39 PM

That is the role of the fan. You're not there to put the ball in the net or to stop it going into our net. You're not there to make decisions on the future of the club (or you would have stood for election as a fans' rep). Your job as a fan is to support the team. Of course, you can make representations to the decision-makers when you're unhappy with the way things are going and you're perfectly entitled to vent your frustration at the players when they don't live up to expectations. But the best way to turn the current situation round is to stick with the Club (if not the team) and do your best to provide positive support.

04Sauzee
30-10-2019, 12:42 PM

:agree::agree:

flash
30-10-2019, 12:44 PM

You either get it or you don't.

Coco Bryce
30-10-2019, 12:45 PM

:agree:

Shrekko
30-10-2019, 12:46 PM
Maybe the board AND the fans could step up?

Exactly.

Too many people will only go under certain circumstances.. which is their choice, but fans like to think they’re the most important people at a club so why not do your bit if you can?

skyhibs
30-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Exactly.

Too many people will only go under certain circumstances.. which is their choice, but fans like to think they’re the most important people at a club so why not do your bit if you can?

Fans are the most important part of the club

No fans = no club

GreenArmyyy!
30-10-2019, 12:55 PM
In years gone by I would’ve been 100% behind this post but not at the moment. I’ll be there tonight purely because I just don’t miss the football but somethings got to give. Part of the reason we got relegated was because we allowed the rut to go on and on and on. We didn’t protest until after relegation either.

We have to make the board see we will not stand for this again whether that be through protests, gate numbers dropping dramatically or whatever else. This isn’t nearly good enough for a club the size of ours and our board at the moment from the outside look like they couldn’t care any less.

Weir07
30-10-2019, 01:06 PM
That is the role of the fan. You're not there to put the ball in the net or to stop it going into our net. You're not there to make decisions on the future of the club (or you would have stood for election as a fans' rep). Your job as a fan is to support the team. Of course, you can make representations to the decision-makers when you're unhappy with the way things are going and you're perfectly entitled to vent your frustration at the players when they don't live up to expectations. But the best way to turn the current situation round is to stick with the Club (if not the team) and do your best to provide positive support.

Spot on with this and your opening post, clearly someone who understands what it means to be a fan, through the good times and bad!

kaimendhibs
30-10-2019, 01:09 PM
I wont be there but its because im working

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

tamig
30-10-2019, 01:32 PM

Whataboutery at its finest. The answer is because we can step up.

tamig
30-10-2019, 01:39 PM
In years gone by I would’ve been 100% behind this post but not at the moment. I’ll be there tonight purely because I just don’t miss the football but somethings got to give. Part of the reason we got relegated was because we allowed the rut to go on and on and on. We didn’t protest until after relegation either.

We have to make the board see we will not stand for this again whether that be through protests, gate numbers dropping dramatically or whatever else. This isn’t nearly good enough for a club the size of ours and our board at the moment from the outside look like they couldn’t care any less.
Do you honestly think Butcher would have been emptied as a result of a few hundred fans protesting at the back of the main stand in March or April 2014? Using phrases like “we will not stand for this” are a bit fanciful imo.

tonyrougier123
30-10-2019, 01:55 PM

Admirable.

But I wont be spending my night off at easter road.

Mediocrity,like the many years that followed 2007 was unbearable.not doing it again!time after time we go through mismanagement and bad leadership.

I'm using tonight to show my disdain for the current set up,and show that the bad use of club resources will not be tolerated again and again.

As for 2016,it was amazing and unforgettable.
But do we really want to be waiting forever and a lifetime to experience these days again?

We had supposedly a decent war chest going into this season and bought toy soldiers.

New owner may very well be taking everything in still,let him experience a half empty stadium and dream of how good things could be if he shows just a modicum of ambition.
Or lets take a time machine back to 2009,10,11,12,13,14 take your pick.each more or less equally numbing,more so than the nip in the air just now.

chrisski33
30-10-2019, 01:56 PM
what aload of patronising rubbish! the fans dont need to step up. we've put up with enough and being 2nd bottom aint good enough. some cant go because of work and family commitments and some feel the need to boycott tonights game as a way of saying they have had enough of the current manager and results!

Pretty Boy
30-10-2019, 02:08 PM
I used to be quite in to these rallying cries but they leave me increasingly cold.

I do my bit both financially and in terms of wider support in various ways. That's my job. The clubs job is to put a decent team on the park. Only one of us is doing our job properly at the moment.

Alan62
30-10-2019, 02:14 PM
what aload of patronising rubbish! the fans dont need to step up. we've put up with enough and being 2nd bottom aint good enough. some cant go because of work and family commitments and some feel the need to boycott tonights game as a way of saying they have had enough of the current manager and results!

Anyone missing through work and family commitments isn't boycotting the game. That's another thing altogether.

While I also have misgivings about the manager and I'm unhappy with both the style of play and the results, I'm not convinced that a boycott tells the board anything that they don't already know. The board is in a difficult position just now. They're well aware of the risks of keeping the manager in post and also the risks of sacking him. Sacking a manager often leads to another poor appointment and a continued downward spiral. Timing is also important. We have a cup semi-final on Saturday. Would sacking the manager now mean writing off the small possibility of winning that game and reaching a cup final?

It's your choice to stay away from the match tonight. If you think that's the best thing you can do to help turn around the current predicament, then that's up to you. Personally, I think the club would be better served with as many people there as possible giving as much backing as they can to the team.

Hibs90
30-10-2019, 02:20 PM
Admirable.

Mediocrity,like the many years that followed 2007 was unbearable.not doing it again!time after time we go through mismanagement and bad leadership.

I'm using tonight to show my disdain for the current set up,and show that the bad use of club resources will not be tolerated again and again.

But do we really want to be waiting forever and a lifetime to experience these days again?

We had supposedly a decent war chest going into this season and bought toy soldiers.

New owner may very well be taking everything in still,let him experience a half empty stadium and dream of how good things could be if he shows just a modicum of ambition.
Or lets take a time machine back to 2009,10,11,12,13,14 take your pick.each more or less equally numbing,more so than the nip in the air just now.

This in spades.

It's time the club stepped up.

chrisski33
30-10-2019, 02:21 PM
Anyone missing through work and family commitments isn't boycotting the game. That's another thing altogether.

While I also have misgivings about the manager and I'm unhappy with both the style of play and the results, I'm not convinced that a boycott tells the board anything that they don't already know. The board is in a difficult position just now. They're well aware of the risks of keeping the manager in post and also the risks of sacking him. Sacking a manager often leads to another poor appointment and a continued downward spiral. Timing is also important. We have a cup semi-final on Saturday. Would sacking the manager now mean writing off the small possibility of winning that game and reaching a cup final?

It's your choice to stay away from the match tonight. If you think that's the best thing you can do to help turn around the current predicament, then that's up to you. Personally, I think the club would be better served with as many people there as possible giving as much backing as they can to the team.

never said i wasnt going :-)

Frankhfc
30-10-2019, 02:21 PM

Get to Easter Road and support the team tonight.

Alan62
30-10-2019, 02:22 PM
never said i wasnt going :-)

Eyrie
30-10-2019, 02:24 PM
I normally can't make midweek games because of work, but being off this week means I've intended to go just because I can and will still do so despite having low expectations.

However I draw the line at "singing" as I don't want to upset anyone in earshot.

Brightside
30-10-2019, 02:25 PM
If our midfield continue to forget the basics of hard work, effort and desire we will get turned over again. If Vela is picked tonight he has a huge game to turn around his career. Otherwise hes going to be playing Vanarama.

147lothian
30-10-2019, 02:49 PM
I protested when we got relegated but that wasn't just about relegation it was the years of incompetence at boardroom level before the inevitable happened, protesting after a serious of draws just seems very jamboesque to me ok I get it that the football is dire and that we need a striker wingers and defensive midfielder but that doesn't justify getting the pitchfork out just yet for me.

Ozyhibby
30-10-2019, 03:20 PM
I protested when we got relegated but that wasn't just about relegation it was the years of incompetence at boardroom level before the inevitable happened, protesting after a serious of draws just seems very jamboesque to me ok I get it that the football is dire and that we need a striker wingers and defensive midfielder but that doesn't justify getting the pitchfork out just yet for me.

I would have thought relegation might make you less inclined to leave it too late to protest?

coldingham hibs
30-10-2019, 03:45 PM
Admirable.

Excellent response. I will be there tonight but I have no enthusiasm at all for the game. Neither of my sons are going as they have better things to do, we are all season ticket holders. I have attended Easter Road for 40 years and very rarely has supporting Hibs been particularly enjoyable. As you say just when you think a corner is turned we end up back where we were in an instant. Hibs are in my blood and I have transferred that blood to my sons, both in their mid twenties. It is disappointing that they have decided not to go as I brought them up to be good supporters, despite all the rot they have endured.

Everyone knew weeks ago that change was required, Heckingbottom was finished both on and off the field, there is no turning the corner for him as the seed is sown. Even if we win tonight and Saturday I want him out.

The board are taking us for fools and assuming out loyalty is undying.

I want to praise those who have the will power to say enough is enough and take appropriate action, whatever that may be.

Torto7
30-10-2019, 04:13 PM
I don't see any benefits to the huge crowds we've been getting over recent seasons anyway. It either gets used on infrastructure or on utter tripe 'footballers.' Our best squad in recent years was assembled in the first division.

Maybe if there's less money they'll learn to spend it wiser.

The fans are the ones who've been let down and the OP is imo patronising stick your head in the sand pish. I will however be there tonight because I'm a season ticket holder. Whether I'm a season ticket holder next season or not depends on how the club acts between now and the end of the season.

matty_f
30-10-2019, 04:13 PM
I'm going and am honestly watching the clock until it's time to leave work. I love a midweek game under the lights. Yes, we've been murder and yes, there are probably loads of more entertaining ways to spend an evening, but none of them give you the hope that you have when you're headed to your seat in the stadium.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-10-2019, 04:14 PM

There’s got to be a better way. Each to their own but I’d imagine Hands off Hibs didn’t see us saved so that we could then turn our backs when the going got tough. I certainly didn’t see myself withdrawing my support - there through the thick and thin. Family circumstances permitting.

Anthony Soprano
30-10-2019, 04:19 PM
I'll be there tonight but can understand people wanting to boycott, a couple good seasons followed by absolute s**** for the foreseeable future isn't good enough for a club this size. Constantly underachieving.

While I admire your optimism it's the sort of blind faith we showed in the build up to relegation, we as fans have to stop acceptingmediocrity.

Mon Dieu4
30-10-2019, 04:26 PM
I'm not going, it's not any kind of boycott, I just can't be arsed

Alan62
30-10-2019, 04:30 PM
I don't see any benefits to the huge crowds we've been getting over recent seasons anyway. It either gets used on infrastructure or on utter tripe 'footballers.' Our best squad in recent years was assembled in the first division.

Maybe if there's less money they'll learn to spend it wiser.

The fans are the ones who've been let down and the OP is imo patronising stick your head in the sand pish. I will however be there tonight because I'm a season ticket holder. Whether I'm a season ticket holder next season or not depends on how the club acts between now and the end of the season.

I'm not sticking my head in the sand, nor am I trying to patronise anybody. All I'm saying is that I think it's better to support the club in difficult times than stay home imagining that a boycott is going to help anything.

Supporting Hibs will never be an easy ride. Everybody knows that.

For what it's worth, I personally think it's unlikely that Paul Heckingbottom will turn the team round. I hope he will but I don't believe he will. I also agree that the football is currently pretty dreadful to watch. The point I made at the beginning though is that the football has often been terrible over the years but, undoubtedly, sticking by the club through thick and thin makes the rare days of glory so much better. That may seem like a perverse point of view but ask anyone who was there when David Gray scored the winner at Hampden and they'll tell you that very little in life has come even close to the way that moment felt. On the other hand, track down your local treble trebler and ask them how each of those 9 victories felt and I bet they couldn't tell you much about it.

Anyway, if you felt patronised, my apologies. Enjoy the game.

hibeerealist
30-10-2019, 04:37 PM
Admirable.

Great post cant disagree with any of that.

seanshow
30-10-2019, 05:22 PM

Get to Easter Road and support the team tonight.

A lovely dry evening for football under the floodlights, now the repeat of a 7 nil rout handed out to livvy from a number of years ago is a mere fantasy with our current team, I wouldn't miss the game just in case we scrape a 1 nil. :)

.. remaining positive even after all these years

Brooster
30-10-2019, 05:24 PM
I'll be there. I would never consider doing anything else when Hibs are at home.

Malthibby
30-10-2019, 05:31 PM
I'm going and am honestly watching the clock until it's time to leave work. I love a midweek game under the lights. Yes, we've been murder and yes, there are probably loads of more entertaining ways to spend an evening, but none of them give you the hope that you have when you're headed to your seat in the stadium.

What he said. Except the hope bit; don't have much of that.....
But I've got enough stuff I'm negative about without including my footie team.

GG

MWHIBBIES
30-10-2019, 05:35 PM

It's definitely about winning, you'd be there if we'd won the last 5 games. I'm sure you'll be rushing along when the going is good again.

Captain Trips
30-10-2019, 05:46 PM
I go to games when it suits me and is convenient the exact same thing I do for everything else in life Hibs are no exception. Hibs are not a charity they will be given the £20+ when I feel that I will get value for that. Having sassed the current efforts of players and managers they are not worth £1.

Since90+2
30-10-2019, 05:48 PM
I go to games when it suits me and is convenient the exact same thing I do for everything else in life Hibs are no exception.

Don't post sensible stuff like this in this thread. This thread is for knee jerk reactions and angry people.

One Day Soon
30-10-2019, 05:55 PM
A boycott is irrelevant really, it certainly won't affect LD's thinking and may even harden it the other way from what I understand about her.

There's a natural balance to these things that probably doesn't need to be forced. If you are crap - and we ARE very, very crap - the net effect is a drop in crowds, poor points haul and consequent negative coverage, bad atmosphere and loss of club momentum. All of that is already happpening - we know it, the club knows it, the players know it and the pundits know it.

If they haven't sacked him yet it's either because they think the cost benefit is currently that they can't afford it or it's because they think the best option is to let him have the chance to either turn it around or completely destruct up to Christmas. If he turns it around (he absolutely won't) the debate is over. If he doesn't he's toast in December and a new manager is here in time for the January window.

I've seen great Hibs teams and I've seen poor Hibs teams. I'ver seen us play well below and well above our ability. I've seen quality players fail and lightweight players unexpectedly step-up. But I've never seen a Hibs like this before. Miller's Hibs was grindingly painful. Fenlon's was cluelessly naive. Butcher's was hoofballish. Heckingbottom's Hibs is far and away the worst of all of them for me for three reasons.

1. The resources he had at his disposal relative to all the rest - a comparative embarassment of riches has produced a worse and not a better team.
2. The comparison to the Stubbs and Lennon highs preceding him - the self-belief, the confidence and the motivation that were all there have been lost.
3. The fact that he has us playing like a zombie football team - we just don't look like Hibs any more. There are eleven players alright and they do wear Hibs jerseys too but they look like they are playing without any passion, belief or heart. They don't seem to have a coherent game plan or even formation most of the time and they look scared of everything - the opposition, the fans, each other, the grass - evertything. A lot of these players are good players and yet he has conspired somehow to make them less than the sum of their parts.

We weren't made to play timid, dull, uninspiring football - that's just not who we are. I think many of us are angry not simply because we're not winning but because we look like we're not even trying to be a Hibs that we recognise any more.

we are hibs
30-10-2019, 06:02 PM
It's definitely about winning, you'd be there if we'd won the last 5 games. I'm sure you'll be rushing along when the going is good again.

At least people deciding what to do in their own free time doesnt bother you or others.

scoopyboy
30-10-2019, 06:04 PM
I'll be there. I would never consider doing anything else when Hibs are at home.

Well said Brooster

madhatter
30-10-2019, 06:08 PM

“I’m not happy with the shows out on Netflix...”, does cancelling my Netflix subscription constitute “toys out the pram”? I get the sentiment but the old ideology of supporting your team through songs and acclaim died quite along time ago for me. Football is about entertainment and money, people don’t like paying money and watching the product when it isn’t entertaining. Winning helps but more than ever people want entertained. We play the same teams far too much and people lose interest with that, partly due to quite a few of them being silly little clubs that shouldn’t exist.

Most games through the season has this breakdown for me: you support the team by buying your season ticket, you are a fan of the team by turning up to games. Bigger games are different but I think this way of thinking is backed up by the fact ER is like a “morgue” or a “library” most weeks. If we were hellbent on supporting we would have a massive singing section and flags and whatever else.

It’s been a long time since I could clearly hear everything the players were saying on the pitch. Stevenson’s rant at the linesman was a particular highlight. Says it all that I could hear the players clearly over the buzz from the tannoy system.

If players had just a tiny bit of drive, they could play in an empty stadium. People on here will put tasty challenges in and throw themselves about in 5s, they don’t need support to do that. It comes from within. Support from the stands should just be a bonus...

All that said, I’ll be there. It’s sort of, in a strange way, a win/win scenario. Want the team to win, if they do, great. If they don’t, Hecky must be gone...

flash
30-10-2019, 06:15 PM
Don't post sensible stuff like this in this thread. This thread is for knee jerk reactions and angry people.

Sensible? Have you read the rest of that post?

Captain Trips
30-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Sensible? Have you read the rest of that post?

What about it, fairly normal stuff.

Real Emerald
30-10-2019, 06:18 PM
A boycott is irrelevant really, it certainly won't affect LD's thinking and may even harden it the other way from what I understand about her.

There's a natural balance to these things that probably doesn't need to be forced. If you are crap - and we ARE very, very crap - the net effect is a drop in crowds, poor points haul and consequent negative coverage, bad atmosphere and loss of club momentum. All of that is already happpening - we know it, the club knows it, the players know it and the pundits know it.

If they haven't sacked him yet it's either because they think the cost benefit is currently that they can't afford it or it's because they think the best option is to let him have the chance to either turn it around or completely destruct up to Christmas. If he turns it around (he absolutely won't) the debate is over. If he doesn't he's toast in December and a new manager is here in time for the January window.

I've seen great Hibs teams and I've seen poor Hibs teams. I'ver seen us play well below and well above our ability. I've seen quality players fail and lightweight players unexpectedly step-up. But I've never seen a Hibs like this before. Miller's Hibs was grindingly painful. Fenlon's was cluelessly naive. Butcher's was hoofballish. Heckingbottom's Hibs is far and away the worst of all of them for me for three reasons.

1. The resources he had at his disposal relative to all the rest - a comparative embarassment of riches has produced a worse and not a better team.
2. The comparison to the Stubbs and Lennon highs preceding him - the self-belief, the confidence and the motivation that were all there have been lost.
3. The fact that he has us playing like a zombie football team - we just don't look like Hibs any more. There are eleven players alright and they do wear Hibs jerseys too but they look like they are playing without any passion, belief or heart. They don't seem to have a coherent game plan or even formation most of the time and they look scared of everything - the opposition, the fans, each other, the grass - evertything. A lot of these players are good players and yet he has conspired somehow to make them less than the sum of their parts.

We weren't made to play timid, dull, uninspiring football - that's just not who we are. I think many of us are angry not simply because we're not winning but because we look like we're not even trying to be a Hibs that we recognise any more.

Maybe if LD sees thousands of empty ST seats that people have paid for left empty, alarm bells may start ringing. She should be very concerned that people who don’t turn up to an event they’ve paid a fair chunk of money for can’t be bothered going anymore.

I’m not going tonight as I had personal things to attend to but I would have found a way round this normally. I’m just utterly pissed off that after all the drivel I’ve watched over many years seemed to have ended and from an excellent financial position and fan base we’ve managed to spectacularly fall back so quickly. I’ve went through thick and thin for more years than I care to remember but this feels more disappointing somehow. He needs to go.