PDA

View Full Version : Omeonga

Hibeesmad
29-10-2019, 09:56 PM
Hasn’t started a game for Cercle Brugge since 24th August, been named on the bench 5 times since then making only 1 sub appearance for 10 minutes in a 6-0 defeat. Hasn’t been involved in the squad at all for their last 2 games.

Not looking good for Stephane, struggling to get game time for a team rock bottom of the Belgian league with 4 points from 13 games.

erin go bragh
29-10-2019, 10:03 PM
Hopefully one of our new gaffers first signings 🤞
Quality player ,sorely missed .

Hibeesmad
29-10-2019, 10:04 PM

Would take him back over what we have got in a heartbeat

Hibee Mac
29-10-2019, 10:04 PM
Maybe makes a return to Easter road at some point more likely? Here's hoping...

Bostonhibby
29-10-2019, 10:06 PM
Ironically he might actually be able to play the mythical high pressing game we were led to believe was the manager's preference..

Good player but I think that ship's sailed.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

hibee-boys
30-10-2019, 06:29 AM
Makes me weep when compaing the energy and drive of Omeonga versus the likes of Vela and Newell.

Diclonius
30-10-2019, 07:23 AM
He'll come back to Genoa and then go to some Dutch team with 2,000 attendances or something but three times the budget we have.

Fergos
30-10-2019, 07:40 AM
SO gave us energy, work rate and a great attitude, loved by the fans for these reasons and rightly so, incredible that the current incumbents thought Vela was a better option.

GGTTH

Peevemor
30-10-2019, 07:43 AM
SO have us energy work rate and a great attitude, loved by the fans for these reasons and rightly so, incredible that the current incumbents thought Vela was a better option.

GGTTH

Incredible that you think that they did. They tried to keep Omeonga.

calumhibee1
30-10-2019, 07:57 AM
SO gave us energy, work rate and a great attitude, loved by the fans for these reasons and rightly so, incredible that the current incumbents thought Vela was a better option.

GGTTH

It was reported numerous times over the summer we were trying to get him back.

Fergos
30-10-2019, 08:20 AM
It was reported numerous times over the summer we were trying to get him back.

I could be wrong or memory fail but i seem to recall when PH was asked about SO returning he quoted the lack of budget, having spent it on what he has. Which isn’t good enough, hence where we are.

SO should have been a priority having had a positive impact previously. PH signings have been in no way good enough.

GGTTH

hfc rd
30-10-2019, 08:21 AM

GGTTH

Agree, he was a brilliant player for us.

It was widely reported that they tried to bring both Omeonga & McNulty back to the club but just couldn’t afford them

Fergos
30-10-2019, 08:34 AM
Incredible that you think that they did. They tried to keep Omeonga.

You may have better info than me but my take on it was as replied above, could be wrong, just how I recall it.

The crux of our issues revolve around the quality and attitude of our players. These were never doubted with SO.

GGTTH

hibee-boys
30-10-2019, 08:42 AM

It was widely reported that they tried to bring both Omeonga & McNulty back to the club but just couldn’t afford them

I'm pretty sure that Omeonga would have generated a sell on return for the club on any investment. If the Mcginn money was ever to be spent on anyone Omeonga would've been as close to a direct replacement as we could've managed. What's wrong with a bit of speculate to accumulate. But no, we no doubt blew the budget on signing on fees, wages for duds from the lower leagues in England with a re-sale value of sweet FA.

Peevemor
30-10-2019, 08:49 AM
I'm pretty sure that Omeonga would have generated a sell on return for the club on any investment. If the Mcginn money was ever to be spent on anyone Omeonga would've been as close to a direct replacement as we could've managed. What's wrong with a bit of speculate to accumulate. But no, we no doubt blew the budget on signing on fees, wages for duds from the lower leagues in England with a re-sale value of sweet FA.

How much would Genoa have wanted for him? What sort of wage is he on there and could we have come close to matching it?

It's easy to speculate but without knowing the hard facts it's difficult to draw a valid conclusion.

tonyrougier123
30-10-2019, 09:14 AM
He has to be a priority target if there is any chance genoa will get rid.
I think it was a pure disaster we let cercle beat us to at least getting him back on loan.

Maybe now some of the sjm money will be put to good use by bringing in wee steph permanently.

Absolutely fits the hibs mould.

FilipinoHibs
30-10-2019, 09:17 AM
How much would Genoa have wanted for him? What sort of wage is he on there and could we have come close to matching it?

It's easy to speculate but without knowing the hard facts it's difficult to draw a valid conclusion.

Genoa's average wage about £17k a week. Even if he was well below average he would have been way out if our range.

basehibby
30-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Very true - we were all whinging in unison on another thread about the rumour that 4 of our new signings account for 25K/week of the budget. SO could be on 10K/week by himself at Genoa for all we know. McNulty is Probably on that sort of cash at whatever English backwater he's playing at.

jacomo
30-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Very true - we were all whinging in unison on another thread about the rumour that 4 of our new signings account for 25K/week of the budget. SO could be on 10K/week by himself at Genoa for all we know. McNulty is Probably on that sort of cash at whatever English backwater he's playing at.

Didn’t LD say that Omeonga + McNulty would have cost Hibs a total of £5m over a three year term?

I can only assume this included a hefty transfer fee for both players and big wages.

Mind you, PH doesn’t know what a good Hibs player looks like so I can well believe he didn’t rate either of them. Footballers (especially young ambitious players) will sometimes accept lower wages to work for a manager who believes in them and will help develop their career.

jeffers
30-10-2019, 09:30 AM

I think the whinging about those players is more due to what we are actually getting in return for that money. IMO the top players at team should get the top money and if they are performing then I'm pretty sure the "lesser" players in a team will understand it. When these high earners are pish that's when the trouble starts. I'd love to have seen Omeonga back and he's certainly worth more than the supposed wages any of the four new signings are on. In saying that I wouldn't be paying him £10k pw.

Hibbyradge
30-10-2019, 09:33 AM
You may have better info than me but my take on it was as replied above, could be wrong, just how I recall it.

The crux of our issues revolve around the quality and attitude of our players. These were never doubted with SO.

GGTTH

Hibs tried their best to get him, but were blown out of the water financially.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/former-hibs-midfielder-stephane-omeonga-joins-cercle-brugge-543826

banchoryhibs
30-10-2019, 09:34 AM

During one of the HSL meetings Leeann said that keeping Omeonga and McNulty would have cost us £5m and that was simply unaffordable

Greenworld
30-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Hasn’t started a game for Cercle Brugge since 24th August, been named on the bench 5 times since then making only 1 sub appearance for 10 minutes in a 6-0 defeat. Hasn’t been involved in the squad at all for their last 2 games.

Not looking good for Stephane, struggling to get game time for a team rock bottom of the Belgian league with 4 points from 13 games.Should be top of the list of any signings skill and energy in midfield just what we need.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hibiza
30-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Quality player ,sorely missed . 100%

FilipinoHibs
30-10-2019, 12:24 PM
During one of the HSL meetings Leeann said that keeping Omeonga and McNulty would have cost us £5m and that was simply unaffordable

Yes £1 million each in transfers and £10k a week for three years is about £5 mill.

easty
30-10-2019, 12:28 PM
Yes £1 million each in transfers and £10k a week for three years is about £5 mill.

Neither is/was worth a £1m transfer.

Pretty Boy
30-10-2019, 12:30 PM
I never thought Omeonga was as great a football player as some others seemed to think.

However he had bags of enthusiasm, drive, determination and he worked his socks off for the team. That would be a massive set of attributes in the current side.

Unseen work
30-10-2019, 12:43 PM
I never thought Omeonga was as great a football player as some others seemed to think.

However he had bags of enthusiasm, drive, determination and he worked his socks off for the team. That would be a massive set of attributes in the current side.

This is sort of where I’m at with him. On the ball he was often slack in possession and I’m not sure where his best position is.

With Allan playing behind the striker where would he play? As a centre mid he’s perhaps a bit lightweight and never got used there with us really. Often played on the left which I don’t think is a solution long term.

Sioux
30-10-2019, 12:51 PM
Seems to a recurring theme on here. A player running about like an overdosed Duracell bunny is regarded as a great player, irrespective of his actual technical ability.

He'd hardly be the answer when faced with teams sitting in and asking to be opened up with a bit of quality.

GreenArmyyy!
30-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Infectious wee guy with the heart of a lion. Sadly I don’t think we’re ever likely to see him in the green and white again.

The Modfather
30-10-2019, 01:05 PM
Seems to a recurring theme on here. A player running about like an overdosed Duracell bunny is regarded as a great player, irrespective of his actual technical ability.

He'd hardly be the answer when faced with teams sitting in and asking to be opened up with a bit of quality.

Is he supposed to be the answer when teams sit in? I thought that’s why you had someone like Allan in the team beside him? He is the type of player we are desperately missing. Energy, passion & athleticism goes a long way to making a successful midfield if supplemented with more technical players like Allan.

Jones28
30-10-2019, 01:25 PM

Exactly. Correct decision. Good short term fixes but not worth the money long term.

Actually didn’t think Omeonga was a great player but he was enthusiastic and was fitter then anything we have at the moment. The game against Killie when he had Mulumbu in his pocket was great to watch.

Edit: Sioux should watch the highlights of the away game at St Johnston when Omeonga played in McNulty to score the winner, a pass that would be revered for eons if it was Scott Allan that made it.

gillythehibby
30-10-2019, 01:28 PM
I could be wrong or memory fail but i seem to recall when PH was asked about SO returning he quoted the lack of budget, having spent it on what he has. Which isn’t good enough, hence where we are.

SO should have been a priority having had a positive impact previously. PH signings have been in no way good enough.

GGTTH

Aye we spent it all on a crack striker. Oh wait.........

hibsbollah
30-10-2019, 01:30 PM

The difference between the player you're describing and Omeonga is Stéphane often had the ball at the feet when he was doing his running around, and he was technically very good as well. (For the 'opening teams up with quality' bit, cast your mind back to his pass for McNulty goal at st Johnstone.) He's not John Rankin.

tonyrougier123
30-10-2019, 01:35 PM
The difference between the player you're describing and Omeonga is Stéphane often had the ball at the feet when he was doing his running around, and he was technically very good as well. He's not John Rankin.
Agreed,don't know what people were watching but omeonga was very good/comfortable on the ball,often wriggling out of tight situations with ball at his feet,sometimes his final pass let him down.

Full of energy and tech ability.

J-C
30-10-2019, 02:41 PM
I'm with Prettyboy here, he was ok, good energy but for me just ok, nice enough lad who sort of got Hibs but really is he what we needed.

Unseen work
30-10-2019, 02:48 PM
The difference between the player you're describing and Omeonga is Stéphane often had the ball at the feet when he was doing his running around, and he was technically very good as well. (For the 'opening teams up with quality' bit, cast your mind back to his pass for McNulty goal at st Johnstone.) He's not John Rankin.

Im sorry but I disagree with the bit about him being technically very good. He would sometimes show quick feet to get out of a tight situation but a lot of the time his final ball, shot or decision making was poor.

I specifically remember one against Celtic where he skinned Brown, got us in a brilliant position but then delayed and delayed before being caught in possession.

That pass to McNulty, although a belter, was the only assist he got in half a season here.

we are hibs
30-10-2019, 03:01 PM
A very good player in what was a woeful midfield.

GreenLake
30-10-2019, 08:01 PM

£1m is not worth much these days after
At least $12 trillion of QE.

Deansy
31-10-2019, 07:30 AM

Seconded !. A quality-player who also seemed to get the club - not re-signing him was just one of the many major blunders this season !

flash
31-10-2019, 07:32 AM
The manager gets enough stick without blaming him for this. Omeonga wanted to go back to Belgium and had little or no interest in staying.

we are hibs
31-10-2019, 08:28 AM
The manager gets enough stick without blaming him for this. Omeonga wanted to go back to Belgium and had little or no interest in staying.

You have no idea if thats true or not.

hibsbollah
31-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Im sorry but I disagree with the bit about him being technically very good. He would sometimes show quick feet to get out of a tight situation but a lot of the time his final ball, shot or decision making was poor.

I specifically remember one against Celtic where he skinned Brown, got us in a brilliant position but then delayed and delayed before being caught in possession.

That pass to McNulty, although a belter, was the only assist he got in half a season here.

:dunno: That's not you criticising his 'technical' attributes, that's a criticism of his composure and decision making,if anything.

flash
31-10-2019, 09:01 AM
You have no idea if thats true or not.

I do as it happens.

Centre Hawf
31-10-2019, 09:08 AM

He's also not an answer up front or right back but that's not what we would need him for.