PDA

View Full Version : Armed Forces Day at Easter Road

The Harp Awakes
29-10-2019, 09:06 PM
Taking the lead from the current buns it seems:

https://www.hiberniancommunityfoundation.org.uk/foundation-signs-armed-forces-covenant

The next Celtic fixture at home maybe:wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-10-2019, 09:08 PM
Seems fair enough.

greenlex
29-10-2019, 09:12 PM
Seems fair enough.yup

CraigHibee
29-10-2019, 09:13 PM
Done it before have we not?

Helensburghhibs
29-10-2019, 09:17 PM
Taking the lead from the current buns it seems:

https://www.hiberniancommunityfoundation.org.uk/foundation-signs-armed-forces-covenant

The next Celtic fixture at home maybe:wink:

Cheap dig and uucalled for.

The club have always respectfully supported both serving members and veterans without feeling the need to shout too loudly about it.

Helensburghhibs
29-10-2019, 09:18 PM

Yes mate I have been involved in the past. The club do a lot in the background and the signinhg of the covenant is a further positive step

The Harp Awakes
29-10-2019, 09:21 PM

Don't think it badged as that, but we have certainly handed out tickets to the armed forces in the past.

The Harp Awakes
29-10-2019, 09:23 PM

The club have always respectfully supported both serving members and veterans without feeling the need to shout too loudly about it.

No dig intended mate. Just humour as indicated with the emoji. Not much of it on the board these days.

Helensburghhibs
29-10-2019, 09:28 PM
No dig intended mate. Just humour. Not much of it on the board these days.

Therefore I retract my statement and apologise unreservedly. Hibs have done these days for the past few years and continue to offer free tickets to service personell (I have used them in the past to entice guys I serve with from down south along to try get them hooked)
I like the way we conduct the whole thing with a bit of class and humility that I feel the rangers way of doing it maybe lacks.

That being said the guys I work with that do the day at ibrox get treated impeccably and as you can imagine for guys that have supported them their whole lives that makes quite an impact. Yes I disagree when you see service personell in uniform with sectarian scarfs on signing the sash and I believe that is something that should be looked at from the mod side but the armed forces day is probably the 1 thing I could stomach giving that vile club an ounce of credit for.

The Harp Awakes
29-10-2019, 09:45 PM
Therefore I retract my statement and apologise unreservedly. Hibs have done these days for the past few years and continue to offer free tickets to service personell (I have used them in the past to entice guys I serve with from down south along to try get them hooked)
I like the way we conduct the whole thing with a bit of class and humility that I feel the rangers way of doing it maybe lacks.

That being said the guys I work with that do the day at ibrox get treated impeccably and as you can imagine for guys that have supported them their whole lives that makes quite an impact. Yes I disagree when you see service personell in uniform with sectarian scarfs on signing the sash and I believe that is something that should be looked at from the mod side but the armed forces day is probably the 1 thing I could stomach giving that vile club an ounce of credit for.

No worries. I agree with your points. I'm sure Hibs will do this with class and humility.The scenes at Ibrox a few years ago were pretty shocking and and as you say that kind of stuff needs sorted.

Enjoy the day when it comes mate.

Helensburghhibs
29-10-2019, 09:49 PM
No worries. I agree with your points. I'm sure Hibs will do this with class and humility.The scenes at Ibrox a few years ago were pretty shocking and and as you say that kind of stuff needs sorted.

Enjoy the day when it comes mate.

Thanks for that. I tend not to get involved as I have a season ticket so tend to keep a low profile 😂

Haymaker
30-10-2019, 12:51 AM
Don't think it badged as that, but we have certainly handed out tickets to the armed forces in the past.

Yes, my grandfather used to get in to ER for free/cheap when he was based in Edinburgh. Long time ago now though!

FilipinoHibs
30-10-2019, 03:48 AM

Agree we do it with dignity unlike our city neighbours.

Marvellous
30-10-2019, 07:00 AM
I want to see Paratroopers abseil down the West Stand with the match ball and then have a drone strike in Syria ordered from the dugout.

Brizo
30-10-2019, 07:04 AM
I want to see Paratroopers abseil down the West Stand with the match ball and then have a drone strike in Syria ordered from the dugout.

PHB is certainly a drone :devil:

southern hibby
30-10-2019, 07:50 AM
Served 22 years Royal Navy and Every ship that came into Leith I was on I’d ask for tickets for the Lads that wanted to go to a game at Easter Road. Hibs always supplied us with what we wanted ( I never ever got a freeby as I always paid for mine ).

Thoroughly looked after by Hibs and can say that because of the way Hibs treated the lads they held Hibs in very high regards. Make no mistake a lot of folk down south only think of The ugly sisters when they think of Scottish footy, however gestures like this makes folk talk about us and raises our profile.

GGTTH

wookie70
30-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Just another job as far as I am concerned and until I see ER giving tickets to Farmers and Fishermen who do more dangerous jobs or Nurses, Firefighters and other public Servants then I will be against us getting involved. Why should veterans be treated and advantaged over other workers or applicants. If there was conscription then fair enough but it is a career choice.

That isn't to say I am against veterans but they deserve no more or less than any member of society in my view and some of the principles of the Armed Forces Covenant seeks to advantage veterans and other groups like cadets against their "competitors". It says "we should be Striving to support the employment of reservists, armed forces veterans" etc when what it should say is we are striving to get the best person for the job imo. No problem with recognising the skills veterans have and doing some lateral thinking about how useful they may be but not to the point we employ because of their service. Being given reasonable adjustment for disability etc is completely different from being given favourable treatment for a career choice you made. As for Cadets etc do we have the same sort of relationships with Scouts, Brownies and other groups. If not do we plan to put all these community groups on the same footing. If not we are choosing one part of the community and advantaging them over the other parts.

For the record it is shameless the way veterans are abandoned by the government after their service. The numbers of veterans who are homeless says much about the Government and services they provide in terms of how they care about their workers and other citizens. The pay of normal service personnel is nowhere near enough to get housing when they hit civi street particularly in the south east. Combine that with the complications of rejoining the "normal world" and the lack of support and I can understand why they have to fight for better treatment, and admire that they are standing up for themselves, but what they are asking for is better treatment than others.

AgentDaleCooper
30-10-2019, 02:12 PM
Just another job as far as I am concerned and until I see ER giving tickets to Farmers and Fishermen who do more dangerous jobs or Nurses, Firefighters and other public Servants then I will be against us getting involved. Why should veterans be treated and advantaged over other workers or applicants. If there was conscription then fair enough but it is a career choice.

That isn't to say I am against veterans but they deserve no more or less than any member of society in my view and some of the principles of the Armed Forces Covenant seeks to advantage veterans and other groups like cadets against their "competitors". It says "we should be Striving to support the employment of reservists, armed forces veterans" etc when what it should say is we are striving to get the best person for the job imo. No problem with recognising the skills veterans have and doing some lateral thinking about how useful they may be but not to the point we employ because of their service. Being given reasonable adjustment for disability etc is completely different from being given favourable treatment for a career choice you made. As for Cadets etc do we have the same sort of relationships with Scouts, Brownies and other groups. If not do we plan to put all these community groups on the same footing. If not we are choosing one part of the community and advantaging them over the other parts.

For the record it is shameless the way veterans are abandoned by the government after their service. The numbers of veterans who are homeless says much about the Government and services they provide in terms of how they care about their workers and other citizens. The pay of normal service personnel is nowhere near enough to get housing when they hit civi street particularly in the south east. Combine that with the complications of rejoining the "normal world" and the lack of support and I can understand why they have to fight for better treatment, and admire that they are standing up for themselves, but what they are asking for is better treatment than others.
Well said.

I absolutely support veterans who have been shafted by the state, but i absolutely cannot support anything that pays homage to the armed forces as an institution.

Remembrance is a tricky one too. If it was just about people who have died then fine, but it seems to me to slip quite easily into imperialist propaganda.

Ultimately, these sort of events aim to elevate the institution of state and power above the millions of individual lives that ACTUALLY make up a country, and persuade them to serve leaders who really don't give a shht about them - as evidenced by the way they treat veterans.

Keith_M
30-10-2019, 02:39 PM
I feel the rangers way of doing it maybe lacks.

Yes I disagree when you see service personell in uniform with sectarian scarfs on signing the sash and I believe that is something that should be looked at from the mod side but the armed forces day is probably the 1 thing I could stomach giving that vile club an ounce of credit for.

I'm not sure I share your sentiments about giving them credit, as it comes across with them like the more unsavoury elements in NI and beyond, hijacking this for Jingoistic patriotism.

The sight of Armed Forces personnel on the pitch, with with jingoistic and/or sectarian songs being belted out by the fans (and,as you said, some of the personnel themselves) is totally disgusting and an insult to the memory of those who sacrificed their lives for their country.

I have little respect for Hearts' hijacking of Remembrance day either, nor for the attitude of many among the Celtc support that would make it impossible to have events like this at Parkhead.

Iggy Pope
30-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Thanks for that. I tend not to get involved as I have a season ticket so tend to keep a low profile 😂

Why do you need to keep a low profile? Being a Hibby is not popular in the services then? **** that for a game o’ sodjers.

Helensburghhibs
30-10-2019, 03:40 PM
Why do you need to keep a low profile? Being a Hibby is not popular in the services then? **** that for a game o’ sodjers.

Not at all mate. There are probably more of us than you think serving. I was meaning more that I'm not into the whole parading on the pitch type stuff