PDA

View Full Version : Easter Road "... was like a morgue"

Keith_M
29-10-2019, 06:57 AM
According to Brian Graham

News (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/easter-road-has-become-morgue-claims-former-hibs-striker-820695)

Hard to argue with that.

we are hibs
29-10-2019, 07:05 AM
Its been like a morgue since asteras at home.

Even when we beat celtic the place was dead.

mentalhibee
29-10-2019, 07:15 AM
The club killed the little atmosphere we had going by moving the singing section.

MWHIBBIES
29-10-2019, 07:16 AM
You only need to look at this place to see that many people only support a winning Hibs.

scooby
29-10-2019, 07:28 AM
There hasn't been much to get excited about to be fair 😴😴😴

04Sauzee
29-10-2019, 07:30 AM
The club killed the little atmosphere we had going by moving the singing section.

Thought the singing section requested a move? Not sure it's just up to 1 section of the fanbase to create an atmosphere.

Smartie
29-10-2019, 07:32 AM

The club killed the little atmosphere we had going by replacing our good team with a crap one.

Onceinawhile
29-10-2019, 07:33 AM
The club killed the little atmosphere we had going by replacing our good team with a crap one.

Yup.

Nothing to do with moving the singing section.

People will be cheerier and more supportive when there's a chance of the team winning. That is, unfortunately at this moment in time, very unlikely.

The Modfather
29-10-2019, 07:35 AM
You only need to look at this place to see that many people only support a winning Hibs.

Give us a team that we can relate to, one that has character fight and desire and the support will respond in kind. Give us the old soft Hibs we currently have and the atmosphere will be mirrored in the stands.

Speedway
29-10-2019, 07:38 AM

Not sure that was an intentional move by the board.

Captain Trips
29-10-2019, 07:52 AM
Indeed and it looked like a few corpses were on the pitch.

basehibby
29-10-2019, 08:46 AM

I agree that the current location of the singing section is ludicrous. IIRC though moving them was not the club's doing - although they were not allowed to take up a position directly behind the goals which would have been far more effective due to it currently being a family section.

One Day
29-10-2019, 08:46 AM
Indeed and it looked like a few corpses were on the pitch.

Joe Newell

DavieRoy
29-10-2019, 09:05 AM
We never replenish good teams. I am sick of it. History repeating itself. Good players will always leave but we never bring in a standard that are worthwhile replacements.

We would rather bring in quantity of mediocrity then have to get rid a year later. False economy. It costs more in the long run.

I was worried at the Arbroath friendly, maybe it was too early to judge, but we have seen it all before.

NAE NOOKIE
29-10-2019, 10:14 AM
It was noticeable during the first half on Saturday more than I can remember at ER ... Its hard to believe 12 to 14 thousand people all in one place can make so little noise.

There is no argument against the fact that the best way to get an atmosphere is a winning team on the park playing exciting football in exciting games, but few clubs deliver that on a regular basis, so that means other ways to generate atmosphere have to be found. We have had for a few years now a group of fans who have stepped up and tried to do exactly that with varying degrees of success. The move to the FF upper was worth a go given the various problems associated with the east stand, which eventually saw them 'officially at least' punted to the front of the east, and even something that resembled a pass system in place for fans who wanted to join them ... I stand to be corrected on that, but thats my recollection.

The club and a lot of fans now seem to be in a sort of shoulder shrugging acceptance that we have for want of a better expression 'indulged' the ultras group enough ... and therein in my opinion lies the problem. Doing everything you can to encourage and grow an ultras section shouldnt be looked on by a club or its supporters as an inconvenience, it should be seen as a priority.

In view of that this obsession with having a family section in the FF lower which is under occupied week after week after week is simply wrong, its the absolute best part of the stadium for a number of reasons to situate the singing section and I'm willing to bet that if the amount of money we have wasted on a certain so called 'striker' had been invested on rail seats and a singing section actively encouraged by the club at the start of this season by now we would have an ultras section behind the goals far bigger than we have and of far more benefit to the club than Welsh basketball players.

hibeerealist
29-10-2019, 10:16 AM

PLEASE, give it a rest. Cannot believe the people on here who have a go at the fans at every opportunity, our fans are superb.

flash
29-10-2019, 10:20 AM
PLEASE, give it a rest. Cannot believe the people on here who have a go at the fans at every opportunity, our fans are superb.

Think superb might be pushing it and I include myself in that.

hibsbollah
29-10-2019, 10:30 AM

I love Hibs. And I love being part of the club. But this just isn't true. Our fans ARE not 'superb'. Our fan base is dejected and unable to support the team. It's not all the boards fault or the managers fault, at some point there needs to be collective responsibility.

Jones28
29-10-2019, 10:49 AM

I’m definitely not a superb fan.

NAE NOOKIE
29-10-2019, 10:51 AM
I love Hibs. And I love being part of the club. But this just isn't true. Our fans ARE not 'superb'. Our fan base is dejected and unable to support the team. It's not all the boards fault or the managers fault, at some point there needs to be collective responsibility.

Absolutely mate. We are in the privileged position of actually being a support who are held up as an example of all thats best in football off the back of Sunshine on Leith, with fans of clubs around the UK and elsewhere expressing admiration of You tube videos of us at Hampden or ER after a derby win all joining in ... it is without doubt an impressive thing to see and we are right to be proud of it.

But the truth is that for the most part we have a load of fans who need an electric shock through their seats to vocally back the team, especially at home. I am not including myself in that because I try, I really do, but for years now in the FF lower I've felt like a prat at times as I've tried to join in the songs with nobody around me bothering ... these days I'm mostly restricted to shouts of c'mon Hibs.

I cant understand and never have done why folk go to a football match, one of the few entertainments where you are encouraged to make a noise, and just sit on their hands. Supporting a team isnt just paying to watch them.

jacomo
29-10-2019, 10:55 AM
Think superb might be pushing it and I include myself in that.

Fair enough, but the sentiment is right. The people pushing their ‘I’m a better / more knowledgeable fan than you’ agendas on here are boring.

WhileTheChief..
29-10-2019, 10:56 AM

:top marks

He just spits these kind of responses out all the time hoping for folk to bite. It's a right pain in the ass.

MWHIBBIES
29-10-2019, 11:09 AM
:top marks

He just spits these kind of responses out all the time hoping for folk to bite. It's a right pain in the ass.
No I don't. I give My opinion and people can agree or disagree.

This is correct.

we are hibs
29-10-2019, 11:12 AM
Fair enough, but the sentiment is right. The people pushing their ‘I’m a better / more knowledgeable fan than you’ agendas on here are boring.

Exactly this. You would think easter road is a bear pit for home players the way some constantly try and degrade their fellow supporter. Fans react to what they see on the park. If they see something good or players trying to execute a right idea they will back them. If they need dug out a hole and a bit of backing theyll do it (see the reaction after celtic equalised a few weeks back and the crowd didnt boo or jeer they encouraged the players) but if they see boring football, uninterested players then they will justly get on your back. Hibs fans arent the only support that do this and the continual myth that we are and that we are somehow a horrendous fan base who sit and wait on it all going tits up because people get an enjoyment out of it is a complete load of *****

FilipinoHibs
29-10-2019, 11:18 AM

Always been like that. Like all football fans they are moaners when things go badly. Not unique to Hibs. A large minority gets things out of all proportion. When the team turns the corner they are back again, happy as Larry and singing the songs.

HibeeHibernian4
29-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Yup.

Nothing to do with moving the singing section.

People will be cheerier and more supportive when there's a chance of the team winning. That is, unfortunately at this moment in time, very unlikely.

This completely fails to take into account the basic trends of supports in British football stadia since the Taylor Report, which have become far more family-orientated and sedate. Most people sit down, talk to the people they're with and stand up when a goal is scored. That's it. It doesn't matter how good or bad a team is on the pitch, active, continental-style support is the only way forward.

Captain Trips
29-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Easter Road "... was like a morgue"

Hibs fans plan protest on pitch to tell manager their thoughts on Wednesday:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/07/28/15/42C460F300000578-0-image-a-131_1501251756090.jpg

Sammy7nil
29-10-2019, 11:30 AM
I’m definitely not a superb fan.

Maybe just super them :greengrin

angus hibby
29-10-2019, 11:43 AM

Was great to hear some of our "superb" fans boo the team when we were winning 2-1 on Saturday. Do you honestly think that helped the players?

Centre Hawf
29-10-2019, 12:07 PM
The decision to move the singing section to where it is now hasn't worked and has only caused clashes with fans and the club. If I'm not mistaken the singing section moved for the start of our first season back in the Premiership and although some games (big matches usually) does see some noise generated and the derby displays have been great I still can't get myself to stop thinking it should be back near the away end of the east stand.

Halmyre Hibee
29-10-2019, 12:08 PM

Been supporting them for over 50 years and once a Hibby always a Hibby. We have not won much in my lifetime but non season ticket holders must get fed up paying top prices to watch crap fitba. We are Hibs we have only on a very few occasions punched above our weight. With our support and infrastructure we should be much better than we currently are. Other than the odd transitional season we should be challenging for 3rd place with cup runs depending on the draw. We take 1 step forward and 2 back . Hopefully our new owner will sort this out soon otherwise season ticket holders may not renew. I’ll still buy a season ticket again but I fully understand why others won’t. We need to play attractive football not the dross that is currently on offer.

ehf
29-10-2019, 12:39 PM
Since 1875 did their best on Saturday but there were only around 30 of them, and to see them in that obscure corner surrounded by a sea of empty seats was pitiful.

Utterly staggering how we are so lacking in quality in every aspect of the club compared to 17/18.

hibsbollah
29-10-2019, 12:47 PM
Absolutely mate. We are in the privileged position of actually being a support who are held up as an example of all thats best in football off the back of Sunshine on Leith, with fans of clubs around the UK and elsewhere expressing admiration of You tube videos of us at Hampden or ER after a derby win all joining in ... it is without doubt an impressive thing to see and we are right to be proud of it.

But the truth is that for the most part we have a load of fans who need an electric shock through their seats to vocally back the team, especially at home. I am not including myself in that because I try, I really do, but for years now in the FF lower I've felt like a prat at times as I've tried to join in the songs with nobody around me bothering ... these days I'm mostly restricted to shouts of c'mon Hibs.

I cant understand and never have done why folk go to a football match, one of the few entertainments where you are encouraged to make a noise, and just sit on their hands. Supporting a team isnt just paying to watch them.

:agree: and the singing section boys bringing the 'ooltra' feel into the stadium a few years back was a reaction to that. I don't know where that attitude has gone. You don't necessarily need a winning team to start having a noisy passionate fan base, you just have to do it. IIRC Colin Calderwoods Green and White Army was still getting belted out when that particular regime was serving us pish week in week out.

theonlywayisup
29-10-2019, 12:47 PM
The decision to move the singing section to where it is now hasn't worked and has only caused clashes with fans and the club. If I'm not mistaken the singing section moved for the start of our first season back in the Premiership and although some games (big matches usually) does see some noise generated and the derby displays have been great I still can't get myself to stop thinking it should be back near the away end of the east stand.

In general, we must have the most negative and least supportive support going.

I watch the games in the Premiership and you generally see teams applauded off the pitch at the end of the game with stands totally full and no-one making an effort to leave their seat. Whereas at Hibs (and probably other grounds in Scotland), the mass exit starts around the 85th minute. Maybe if our fans actually stayed to the 93rd minute, we wouldn't lose so many late goals. Watching the Liverpool game at the weekend, no-one vacates their seat and moves away until the team have completed their victory walk applauding the fans. Horgan tried to do this on Saturday and the response was embarrassing. No doubt I'll get the "I pay my money, I'll leave when I want to" response.

Then there is the negativity that pours out from the stands and is evident on this forum. Every player is mince, is not trying enough, is a wage thief, shows no desire etc etc. Nobody performs well when subjected to such negativity. Some of the comments shouted and written on this forum is embarrassing. Yes, we're all disappointed with the quality of the player we have now, but certain players were being picked on even during the good times. No doubt I'll get the "I pay my money, I'll shout what I want to" response.

All this talk of boycotts etc is embarrassing. One thing I noticed on Saturday in the smaller than usual crowd, was that I suddenly spotted all the supporters that supported their team when we were getting crowds of 8,000 and less. The supporters that support their team through think and thin - yet someone on this forum stated that they are a perfect example of everything that's wrong with Hibs, in that they'll accept mediocrity or even worse. No. it's called supporting your team.

All this talk of where the singing section should be housed is not relevant in my opinion. It's the thousands in the non-singing, non-clapping, non-supporting section that needs addressed.

Keith_M
29-10-2019, 12:51 PM

But the truth is that for the most part we have a load of fans who need an electric shock through their seats to vocally back the team, especially at home. .

I was sitting in front of a group of German tourists who'd come to the game last season, because they'd seen videos of Hibs Supporters at Cup Finals, and they were kinda disappointed at the atmosphere.

I totally agree that it shouldn't be up to one small group of Fans to create an atmosphere but I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to join in with the singing and almost nobody else in the vicinity was interested. In fact, I even get some curious stares from fellow fans (even when sitting near the famed Section 43) because I dared to sing.

There are a few others that would join in songs and chants but they are too scattered around the stadium, so it usually just peters out.

Onceinawhile
29-10-2019, 12:53 PM

I watch the games in the Premiership and you generally see teams applauded off the pitch at the end of the game with stands totally full and no-one making an effort to leave their seat. Whereas at Hibs (and probably other grounds in Scotland), the mass exit starts around the 85th minute. Maybe if our fans actually stayed to the 93rd minute, we wouldn't lose so many late goals. Watching the Liverpool game at the weekend, no-one vacates their seat and moves away until the team have completed their victory walk applauding the fans. Horgan tried to do this on Saturday and the response was embarrassing. No doubt I'll get the "I pay my money, I'll leave when I want to" response.

Throwing away a 2 goal lead to a team with a fraction of your budget isn't really comparable with liverpool beating a rival for the top 6.

But to clarify - if people hadn't left before the 90th minute (when we'd just conceded a 2nd goal in 15 minutes) we would have won the game?

Come off it.

Hiber-nation
29-10-2019, 12:55 PM
No I don't. I give My opinion and people can agree or disagree.

And most of them are disagreeing with someone or something. It's never-ending.

Barman Stanton
29-10-2019, 12:57 PM

Then there is the negativity that pours out from the stands and is evident on this forum. Every player is mince, is not trying enough, is a wage thief, shows no desire etc etc. Nobody performs well when subjected to such negativity. Some of the comments shouted and written on this forum is embarrassing. Yes, we're all disappointed with the quality of the player we have now, but certain players were being picked on even during the good times. No doubt I'll get the "I pay my money, I'll shout what I want to" response.

All this talk of boycotts etc is embarrassing. One thing I noticed on Saturday in the smaller than usual crowd, was that I suddenly spotted all the supporters that supported their team when we were getting crowds of 8,000 and less. The supporters that support their team through think and thin - yet someone on this forum stated that they are a perfect example of everything that's wrong with Hibs, in that they'll accept mediocrity or even worse. No. it's called supporting your team.

All this talk of where the singing section should be housed is not relevant in my opinion. It's the thousands in the non-singing, non-clapping, non-supporting section that needs addressed.

Take in you never saw Arsenal fans booing Xhaka at the weekend? Or seen the Italians attacking their own team buses? This Hibs fans are the worst is a load of nonsense. No fan would be happy if their team is one of the biggest in the country and sitting 2nd bottom.

NAE NOOKIE
29-10-2019, 01:07 PM

Yes and no mate. I agree that if the whole stadium was prepared to join in then there would be no need for singing sections, ultras, or anything of that nature. But the fact is that very few stadiums enjoy such supporter engagement apart from on certain special occasions, which is why even the likes of Celtic have seen a growth in an ultras section and why folk talk about the Kop at Anfield and such, because since time immemorial its been one section of a stadium which has provided the main atmosphere and is often the catalyst for noise in other parts of the ground.

So like it or not having a singing / ultras section and where it is situated is extremely relevant and I wish Hibs would get on board and finally recognise that their tepid and at best lukewarm attitude to it isnt helpful .... yes I know they consented to the FF upper, but IMO that was through gritted teeth and IMO the club should be busting a gut to help and that includes spending money on an FF lower standing section.

WhileTheChief..
29-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Can't be sure but I think if Hibs were sitting well clear at the top of the league then we would all happily stay until the 93rd minute to cheer the team off.

Check the Old Trafford crowd this season from the 85th minute, you'll see plenty empty seats. You would never have seen that when Fergie was winning everything for them.

It's the same the world over.

Onion
29-10-2019, 01:34 PM
A morgue is a good analogy. Heckingbottom has sucked the live out of Hibs.

Brooster
29-10-2019, 01:47 PM
Nothing compares to the atmosphere at Ross County right enough.

southsider
29-10-2019, 01:53 PM
A morgue is a good analogy. Heckingbottom has sucked the live out of Hibs.

Even the life

Keith_M
29-10-2019, 07:08 PM
:agree: and the singing section boys bringing the 'ooltra' feel into the stadium a few years back was a reaction to that. I don't know where that attitude has gone. You don't necessarily need a winning team to start having a noisy passionate fan base, you just have to do it. IIRC Colin Calderwoods Green and White Army was still getting belted out when that particular regime was serving us pish week in week out.

:agree:

The atmosphere at ER for the first couple of years after the East Stand opened was superb.

The dire football eventuall took its toll but I think the guys moving down to the front of Section 43 marked a downturn in the level of noise.