PDA

View Full Version : Heckingbottom: If Butcher borrowed Cathro's laptop

Lester B
27-10-2019, 10:00 AM
Have seen quite a few posts comparing PH to previous managers like Fenlon and Calderwood. I think he's a mixture of the worst Hibs manager ever and one of our strange neighbours more strange appointments.

The current team has far better players than some of the dross we had in 2013/14 but there is surely a similarity. Under Butcher the team looked fragile and brittle. They look scared. No one seemed to have a clear view of how they were supposed to play and there was no leadership evident during games from the players. I was at Dingwall towards the end of that season and they looked lost from the first minute onwards. No idea of who was supposed to be doing what. At the Hamilton play off it was a matter of when not if they scored and once they had, when they would again. There was no evidence the team could manage a game whether all square, down or up in the game. Sound strangely familar? Yesterday for example?

I think it's pretty much universally acknowledged that Butcher was a bit of a dinosaur in terms of his management style. Basically shouting at players, telling them they weren't very good with a naive assumption they would somehow get just a bit better.

Heckingbottom has no such excuses. He sold himself in early interviews as a modern manager. He made great play of the fact that he'd studied management. Early interviews he went on and on about how they were filling players' heads with lots of information about the playing style he wanted. How many interviews with the summer signings concentrated on the detailed sales pitch he gave a player with detail of how he wanted them to play? Where is this theory evident in this team???

Now cast your mind back to Father Dougal at PBS. He was a modern manager. He had a firm grasp of how modern football should be played. He's studied this stuff in detail. Apparently. We mocked him as a wee nerd with a laptop and rightly so as his team were awful. None of this theory was apparent in his team selection, tactics and results. This is exactly where we are now.

Butcher, much as I hate that guy, knew no better. Heckingbottom claims to but he doesn't. This team plays like a Butcher team with Cathro's pretensions behind it. 2016 should have buried 'Hibsed it' once and for all. Heckingbottom is reviving it

And one more analogy. Butcher took us into utter freefall. In this aspect the current situation is more akin to Duffy's period. We were poor and didn't improve. Signs of life were seized upon and were false dawns. By the time he was fired it was too late. McLeish didn't have enough time to turn it round.

Heckingbotom needs to go and he needs to go now.

madhatter
27-10-2019, 10:05 AM
I always saw him as a likeable character but now think he’s quite arrogant and that he think he’s a top level coach with some inventive ideas. Comparisons to Cathro are definitely there. Reminds me of Butcher and Calderwood the most, talks a good game, regularly mentions stuff outside of football or general fluff. Gives the perception of a deep thinker...

Hibernia&Alba
27-10-2019, 10:39 AM
Have seen quite a few posts comparing PH to previous managers like Fenlon and Calderwood. I think he's a mixture of the worst Hibs manager ever and one of our strange neighbours more strange appointments.

The current team has far better players than some of the dross we had in 2013/14 but there is surely a similarity. Under Butcher the team looked fragile and brittle. They look scared. No one seemed to have a clear view of how they were supposed to play and there was no leadership evident during games from the players. I was at Dingwall towards the end of that season and they looked lost from the first minute onwards. No idea of who was supposed to be doing what. At the Hamilton play off it was a matter of when not if they scored and once they had, when they would again. There was no evidence the team could manage a game whether all square, down or up in the game. Sound strangely familar? Yesterday for example?

I think it's pretty much universally acknowledged that Butcher was a bit of a dinosaur in terms of his management style. Basically shouting at players, telling them they weren't very good with a naive assumption they would somehow get just a bit better.

Heckingbottom has no such excuses. He sold himself in early interviews as a modern manager. He made great play of the fact that he'd studied management. Early interviews he went on and on about how they were filling players' heads with lots of information about the playing style he wanted. How many interviews with the summer signings concentrated on the detailed sales pitch he gave a player with detail of how he wanted them to play? Where is this theory evident in this team???

Now cast your mind back to Father Dougal at PBS. He was a modern manager. He had a firm grasp of how modern football should be played. He's studied this stuff in detail. Apparently. We mocked him as a wee nerd with a laptop and rightly so as his team were awful. None of this theory was apparent in his team selection, tactics and results. This is exactly where we are now.

Butcher, much as I hate that guy, knew no better. Heckingbottom claims to but he doesn't. This team plays like a Butcher team with Cathro's pretensions behind it. 2016 should have buried 'Hibsed it' once and for all. Heckingbottom is reviving it

And one more analogy. Butcher took us into utter freefall. In this aspect the current situation is more akin to Duffy's period. We were poor and didn't improve. Signs of life were seized upon and were false dawns. By the time he was fired it was too late. McLeish didn't have enough time to turn it round.

Heckingbotom needs to go and he needs to go now.

Good post, I very much agree. Hecky has the talk and the modern management theories, but it's all bluster. In practice it's woeful.

Michael
27-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Paul Cathrowood