PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Ross County 26 10 19)

Jonnyboy
26-10-2019, 06:32 PM
Gutted but not really all that surprised kind of sums up where I’m at following this 2-2 draw with Ross County. I’m gutted because, despite a sterile and frankly boring first half, Hibs managed to take a two goal second half lead only to promptly give it away again. My lack of surprise is due to the fact that even at 2-0 up and looking comfortable, the loss of a goal was met with the sound of Hibs’ bottle crashing, a sound heard far too often this season.

With Doidge injured, Flo Kamberi was brought back in whilst Allan replaced Horgan and Naismith replaced James. County had three ex Hibs players in their starting eleven with a further ex Hibs man on the bench in the shape of Brian Graham.

Hibs started with a midfield five and had Mallan wide right which was baffling to say the least as in that position he saw far too little of the ball, especially in the first half. The Vela and Hallberg combination only lasted 45 minutes as Hallberg looked to be struggling with his knee tightly bandaged up.

There might have been an early breakthrough but a stunning free kick by Hallberg saw the ball hit the bar with Ross Laidlaw static in the County goal. Next, a fine cross from the left by Newell saw Naismith ghosting in at the back post but the former County man blasted his effort high over the bar.

The football on offer was not the best but at least Hibs tried to perform as a home team should. Sadly they were far too slow in getting the ball forward into danger areas although Laidlaw had to look sharp in saving from Kamberi. At the other end Gardyne shot wide from a good position but County offered very little threat if truth be told. Yes they enjoyed a fair share of possession but didn’t really threaten Maxwell’s goal very often. A tame free kick from Mallan was easily gathered by Laidlaw but in truth, Hibs were not offering enough of a threat in the final third. A shot from distance was easily held by Maxwell whilst at the other end only a last minute block challenge stopped Vela from opening the scoring.

The scoreboard clock had been stuck at one minute for most of the first half and just like Hibs it wasn’t working properly and surely the manager would have to change things at half time.

I confess that when a change was indeed made I was less than thrilled to see Horgan coming on for the struggling Hallberg. Five minutes into the second half the little Irishman had me eating my words when he latched on to a fine through ball by Naismith, scurried into the box and fired low past Laidlaw to open the scoring. Now we would see whether this Hibs side could protect that one goal lead but instead it went one better when Scott Allan blasted a second after a fine run parallel with the 18 yard line saw him fire past Laidlaw to the delight of the home support.

Soon after, Kamberi swiped at the ball with his right but missed it. The ball struck a defender and fell to Flo’s left but the strikers effort was deflected on to a post and rolled out for a corner. At this point Hibs looked to be firmly in control but the introduction of Graham from the County bench saw a change in the play of the visitors and McKay really should have scored from a Graham flick but sliced his effort wide.

At this point Hibs began to sit deeper and deeper, inviting County to flood forward and their efforts paid off around fifteen minutes from time, Graham easily turned his marker and struck a low curling effort that beat Maxwell and slipped into the net at the far post. Amazingly, Graham could and should have scored again just moments later when heading wide from inside the six yard box.

It seemed to me that Hibs were now in full panic mode as County dominated possession and we allowed them to play the game almost entirely in our own half. Doing that is plain suicidal and we suffered the consequences when a poor clearing header from substitute Fraser Murray landed at the feet of Chalmers who took one touch before rifling the ball past Maxwell from around twenty yards.

The cries of Hecky, Hecky (you know the rest) rang around the home stands and in truth that was hardly surprising but you have to wonder at the fragility of a home side that looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights when put under pressure. Nobody stepped up to the plate to rally the troops.

Just prior to the final whistle only a good use of his body by Ryan Porteous stopped County getting in again and as that whistle sounded the booing around the stadium was deafening. There has been a growing desire amongst the Hibs support for the manager to be replaced and the only thing that has me confused about that is why it hasn’t happened already. Eight points from ten games and a goal difference of minus ten tells its own story and it’s surely time the board acted to stop this rot before it’s too late.

The players

Maxwell – Although beaten twice I don’t think he can be held at fault for either. In my view he’s not shown any reason why Marciano should replace him.

Naismith – Returning from injury it took him a bit of time to get going but his pass for the opening goal was excellent. Unfortunately, he and his fellow defenders could not stand up to the pressure being put upon them.

Porteous – Ryan can be a bit rushed at times, hoofing the ball out rather than showing some composure but for the most part he was calm, confident and streets ahead of his team mates and he gets my man of the match award.

Hanlon – When Paul allows himself to be bullied off the ball by someone of the physical stature of Billy McKay he should really start to be worried.

Stevenson – For the second game in a row I felt Lewis was below par and I don’t recall ever seeing him vent his anger so much at team mates as I did today.

Mallan – Wasted out right but when he drifted into the middle he was more productive.

Vela – Runs about a lot but doesn’t do much although he was unlucky that his first half effort was deflected around the post.

Hallberg – I saw some BBC stats this week that had Hallberg in the top five of the Scottish Premiership table at breaking up opponents’ moves while playing in midfield. Didn’t add to that today, looked to be struggling from the off and was subbed at half time.

Allan – Scotty kinda flitted in and out of the game today but still produced most of the quality from the Hibs midfield and his run and shot for the second goal had the home fans out of their seats applauding.

Newell – After such a fine game at Hamilton last time out, Joe was like the invisible man for the most part today. He offered up two excellent first half crosses, but little else before he was replaced by Fraser Murray.

Kamberi – Flo was unlucky not to score when his shot on goal was deflected but he worked hard enough. I have to say though that his habit of trying flicks and such is becoming irritating. There’s a time and place for such things and we are neither in that time or place at the moment.

Horgan – As I said earlier I wasn’t overly enthusiastic about his second half introduction but I have to give him credit for the opening goal which he took very well. I could go on to highlight the faults I perceived in his play but that would just be churlish on my part.

Murray – Sad to say that Fraser’s most telling contribution was his poor header that led to the second County goal.

Jackson – Brought on as a third centre half when we were 2-1 up with minutes to play but sadly it was a move that failed to work.

The fans – I thought the folk surrounding the drummer worked hard to create a positive atmosphere so plaudits to them. Unfortunately the negative atmosphere at the equaliser was both louder and longer.

Heckingbottom – I can’t see him being here much longer if truth be told.

The ref – Steven McLean.

banchoryhibs
26-10-2019, 06:56 PM
Very good summary again Jonnyboy although a wee bit harsh on Fraser Murray whose first 3 or 4 I thought made an immediate impact.
The lack of steel and heart when we concede is awful and is the recipe for relegation. This has to be addressed one way or another - and fast !

Kojock
26-10-2019, 07:03 PM
Today was an excellent example of a team who don’t buy into the managers team selection, tactics and style of play.

number9dream
26-10-2019, 07:15 PM
It looked like three players just stood and watched as Chalmers took a touch, steadied himself, then fired in a cracking shot. Those guys should have been on him like a pack of hungry lions on a wounded gazelle.
As for 'how it feels' - for some it's getting to the stage beyond anger and frustration, which is apathy, acceptance of the less than mediocre or simply walking away, which is dangerous.
Time for action. I have a shred of sympathy for the manager today - he was badly let down by the players - but it's painfully obvious this is not working and he has to take responsibility - something he seems reluctant to do in his media interviews.

Hi Heid Yin
26-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Thank you Jonnyboy.
A fine and accurate summary.
I always look forward to reading your take on games.

Jonnyboy
26-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Today was an excellent example of a team who don’t buy into the managers team selection, tactics and style of play.

Agreed, G.

Seveno
26-10-2019, 09:18 PM
Groundhog Day

BILLYHIBS
26-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

Spot on with everything

The Ref?

No one can say anything about a ref that gave a foul for the Hun HIBS way in stoppage time in the Cup Final 😁

matty_f
26-10-2019, 09:33 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

Spot on with everything

The Ref?

No one can say anything about a ref that gave a foul for the Hun HIBS way in stoppage time in the Cup Final 😁
I thought the ref was fine today. He had nothing to do.

Radium
26-10-2019, 09:41 PM
Good summary as always.

If the board don’t understand that the fans have totally lost faith in the management team, hopefully the comments on what is thread hit home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacomo
26-10-2019, 09:45 PM
Groundhog Day

Yes, but brilliantly described by JB. These match reports are eagerly awaited every week.

BILLYHIBS
26-10-2019, 09:47 PM
Good summary as always.

If the board don’t understand that the fans have totally lost faith in the management team, hopefully the comments on what is thread hit home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they don’t take on board the match day thoughts and opinions of a wise old owl like Jonnyboy as being representative of the majority of the fan base there is little hope for us

AZhibee
26-10-2019, 10:11 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy

Is It On....
26-10-2019, 10:42 PM
It looked like three players just stood and watched as Chalmers took a touch, steadied himself, then fired in a cracking shot. Those guys should have been on him like a pack of hungry lions on a wounded gazelle.
As for 'how it feels' - for some it's getting to the stage beyond anger and frustration, which is apathy, acceptance of the less than mediocre or simply walking away, which is dangerous.
Time for action. I have a shred of sympathy for the manager today - he was badly let down by the players - but it's painfully obvious this is not working and he has to take responsibility - something he seems reluctant to do in his media interviews.

When we were walking over the bridge at the end apathy and resignation were the emotions of most fans. Not being angry tells its own story.

GreenCastle
26-10-2019, 11:06 PM
Going 5-4-1 formation was ridiculous considering our midfield was already struggling.

Every time Hallberg goes off we seem to lose a goal at some stage.

Not signing a single CDM is really coming back to bite us.

O'Rourke3
26-10-2019, 11:52 PM
I thought the ref was fine today. He had nothing to do.

Apart from the two bookings County should have had early doors for the pull backs that we got first time of asking. Many fouls he let go and not forgetting asking for a freekick to be retaken once our defence had sorted out the quickie....not allowing us to sub Allan...

KeithTheHibby
27-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Another poor display by Hanlon it seems. Appears this guy is undroppable yet has played almost every week in a team that continues to ship goals.
Also never a captain.

Brightside
27-10-2019, 09:56 AM
Another poor display by Hanlon it seems. Appears this guy is undroppable yet has played almost every week in a team that continues to ship goals.
Also never a captain.

He didn’t have a bad game. Both CH were decent yesterday bar a couple of poor passes from both. Our goals lost aren’t anything to do with Hanlon and Porto right now.

hibby6270
27-10-2019, 11:31 AM
JB. Spot on report as usual. Thanks.

We clearly come from the same stock/Hibs upbringing by recognising RP as MOTM. Other social pages on t’interweb suggesting Scotty was, and whilst he had decent touches in the game, commitment to the cause was there in spades as far as RP was concerned. He “gets us”.

Don’t get me wrong, Scotty “gets us” as well, as do Paul and Lewis. If fit, you’d include SDG and Daz in that category. Flo and Whits to an extent also.

But what we need are another dozen or so players - and a manager - to “get us” before we will be able to extricate ourselves from what is fast becoming a slide back to mediocrity/relegation we suffered 5/6 years ago.

Iggy Pope
27-10-2019, 01:30 PM
He didn’t have a bad game. Both CH were decent yesterday bar a couple of poor passes from both. Our goals lost aren’t anything to do with Hanlon and Porto right now.

Cannot agree. Paul Hanson was as bad as anyone yesterday, nervous, indecisive and made poor decisions whilst getting shoved around.
Might not have cost us goals directly but his performance did nothing to improve that of those around him.
Lewis Stevenson also needs a looking at. Dreadful yesterday in my opinion.
Two leaders that are not leading.

Forza Fred
27-10-2019, 07:49 PM
Going 5-4-1 formation was ridiculous considering our midfield was already struggling.

Every time Hallberg goes off we seem to lose a goal at some stage.

Not signing a single CDM is really coming back to bite us.

Certainly has.

Millsy was happy at Hibs, and most were happy with him.

Hecky got rid of him and everybody’s fortunes, including Mark’s plummeted.

If I had to point to one major example of Hecky’s poor judgement, it would be this decision.

roo62
27-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Certainly has.

If I had to point to one major example of Hecky’s poor judgement, it would be this decision.

Think the player we are missing most in that area from last season is Efe Ambrose.

CMurdoch
27-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Certainly has.

He was dreadfully slow but my god he could read the game, tackle and pass.
Heckenbottom did his own legs punting him. Madness i tells yah!
Most of the draws this season including the last 2 weeks would have been wins and we wouldn't have lost to Hearts. All IMO of course.

ancient hibee
27-10-2019, 09:11 PM
He didn’t have a bad game. Both CH were decent yesterday bar a couple of poor passes

from both. Our goals lost aren’t anything to do with Hanlon and Porto right now.

I thought that Porteous’ failure to get tight on Graham was directly responsible for allowing him to turn and get. a shot on target.Another lesson learned hopefully.

angus hibby
27-10-2019, 09:16 PM

In what way? Whilst we were fairly slow at times in first half, there were some very good passages of play.

JimBHibees
27-10-2019, 09:18 PM
I thought that Porteous’ failure to get tight on Graham was directly responsible for allowing him to turn and get. a shot on target.Another lesson learned hopefully.

Definitely brutal defending

B.H.F.C
27-10-2019, 09:20 PM
In what way? Whilst we were fairly slow at times in first half, there were some very good passages of play.

There were a couple of decent moves we created a few chances. We were at home so that’s the least we should be doing.

It was slow, boring and pretty much what we’ve come to expect from this team. The players show little in the way of energy or urgency.

B.H.F.C
27-10-2019, 09:22 PM

Yeah, really poor defending. Seeing it back, it’s like he just completely lost concentration. He’s had a few since he came back in to the side.

Frankhfc
27-10-2019, 09:33 PM
My opinion is that we're missing Squirrel as an outball to getting us up the field when it becomes natural for a team to sit that wee bit deeper when a goal or two up. He gets us up on to the front foot maintaining pressure on opposing defences.

IberianHibernian
27-10-2019, 09:43 PM
Certainly has.

If I had to point to one major example of Hecky’s poor judgement, it would be this decision.Going only on comments here , many fans were certainly not happy with him and few seemed to regret him leaving . Was it really Hecky`s decision to let him go ? Seem to remember rumours of him leaving even before Hecky arrived even though he hadn`t played many matches for us . I always rated him and he is what we need ( a leader who can also play ) but I`m not sure there`s room for him with some cup - winning " legends " still at club . Maybe unfair to attack manager in this case but I don`t know full details .

Bearders
27-10-2019, 09:52 PM
Two leaders that are not leading.

👍👍

BILLYHIBS
27-10-2019, 10:02 PM
Going only on comments here , many fans were certainly not happy with him and few seemed to regret him leaving . Was it really Hecky`s decision to let him go ? Seem to remember rumours of him leaving even before Hecky arrived even though he hadn`t played many matches for us . I always rated him and he is what we need ( a leader who can also play ) but I`m not sure there`s room for him with some cup - winning " legends " still at club . Maybe unfair to attack manager in this case but I don`t know full details .

I thought he was much improved after he returned from the Asia Cup seemed to have a new spring in his step and rediscovered his mojo

As the OP said I think he was happy here and did not want to leave it was probably more to do with the fact that he was Lennys signing and on a reported heavy wage and the club/Hecky chose not to roll on his contract for another year and free up his wage for Heckys own signings

ancient hibee
27-10-2019, 10:08 PM
I suspected that he was looking after himself a bit before the Asia Cup to ensure he was fit.When he came back I thought he was much more the player I’d expected him to be and was sorry he wasn’t offered the other deal.

Unseen work
28-10-2019, 12:28 AM
I watched the game as I have done every other game this season and despite us not getting the result and having some poor performances, I still can’t help but feel we’re not far away from being a decent team.

Some of the stuff we’ve played over the last couple of weeks has been good and we should have buried some teams. Aberdeen and Doidges 3 chances, Kamberi and Naismith should have done better with their chances against County imo.

Now please don’t let this sound like I’m being a happy clapper or think things are good as they aren’t. I have been very critical of the manager and really want him gone.

But I see enough flashes of play and individual talent to know we could turn it around if, and if it’s a big if, Heckingbottom is replaced.

We need a manager to come in, inspire confidence and get us that bit more fluid and raise our tempo on the ball. We’re really lacking fast, direct wingers imo and it’s a case of having the ball, knocking it about and then try a flick or forced pass.

Kamberi, Allan, Mallan, Porteous, Marciano are all players of real quality and we need to get the best out of all of them. Guys like Boyle, Horgan, Hallberg can be effective in the correct roles.

Most importantly for me the players need to show a bit of bravery and confidence. We went 2-0 up and the players just sat right off them and invited the pressure on, to me that’s the players and not the manager. It’s almost as if they’re scared to be expansive once we get a goal as they’re scared we will be hit on the counter.

Like I said I know things are bad, but I’m not watching it thinking we have no quality. A new, good manager who understands us a club could completely transform our season especially with good recruitment in January.

Rather annoyingly it’s the 3rd year in a row we will be relying on the January window.

Manager
Winger
Striker
Centre mid
Centre half

Thats not too much to ask for? Right? :greengrin

Again il repeat, I’m not a happy clapper or blind to the results or where we are in the league. But it just takes a spark of life and personality and I think that would transfer into the players.

The league is absolutely brutal and inconsistent this season.

Celtic 25
Rangers. 25
Kilmarnock. 17
Motherwell. 16
Aberdeen. 15
Ross County. 13
Livingston. 12
Hamilton. 9
Hearts. 8
St Mirren. 8
Hibernian. 8
St Johnston 7

Rather unbelievably if we held on for the 2-0 win, we could have been going into Wednesday knowing a win would put us 6th. No team in that league out with the Old Firm are anything special.

If we act fast and correctly we can save this season.

Its a big if.

Do what you need to do and what everyone expects you to do, Leanne.

BILLYHIBS
28-10-2019, 06:03 AM
I watched the game as I have done every other game this season and despite us not getting the result and having some poor performances, I still can’t help but feel we’re not far away from being a decent team.

Some of the stuff we’ve played over the last couple of weeks has been good and we should have buried some teams. Aberdeen and Doidges 3 chances, Kamberi and Naismith should have done better with their chances against County imo.

Now please don’t let this sound like I’m being a happy clapper or think things are good as they aren’t. I have been very critical of the manager and really want him gone.

But I see enough flashes of play and individual talent to know we could turn it around if, and if it’s a big if, Heckingbottom is replaced.

We need a manager to come in, inspire confidence and get us that bit more fluid and raise our tempo on the ball. We’re really lacking fast, direct wingers imo and it’s a case of having the ball, knocking it about and then try a flick or forced pass.

Kamberi, Allan, Mallan, Porteous, Marciano are all players of real quality and we need to get the best out of all of them. Guys like Boyle, Horgan, Hallberg can be effective in the correct roles.

Most importantly for me the players need to show a bit of bravery and confidence. We went 2-0 up and the players just sat right off them and invited the pressure on, to me that’s the players and not the manager. It’s almost as if they’re scared to be expansive once we get a goal as they’re scared we will be hit on the counter.

Like I said I know things are bad, but I’m not watching it thinking we have no quality. A new, good manager who understands us a club could completely transform our season especially with good recruitment in January.

Rather annoyingly it’s the 3rd year in a row we will be relying on the January window.

Manager
Winger
Striker
Centre mid
Centre half

Thats not too much to ask for? Right? :greengrin

Again il repeat, I’m not a happy clapper or blind to the results or where we are in the league. But it just takes a spark of life and personality and I think that would transfer into the players.

The league is absolutely brutal and inconsistent this season.

Celtic 25
Rangers. 25
Kilmarnock. 17
Motherwell. 16
Aberdeen. 15
Ross County. 13
Livingston. 12
Hamilton. 9
Hearts. 8
St Mirren. 8
Hibernian. 8
St Johnston 7

Rather unbelievably if we held on for the 2-0 win, we could have been going into Wednesday knowing a win would put us 6th. No team in that league out with the Old Firm are anything special.

If we act fast and correctly we can save this season.

Its a big if.

Its Leeann :greengrin

Brizo
28-10-2019, 06:36 AM

Leeann has been the invisible woman since Gordon took over who is similarly invisible along with his UK representative Archie (Paton ?)

That's a lot of invisibility and the only tangible fan engagement and communication from the club is coming from the excellent fans rep Keiran.

Dempsters done great things for the club in the past but just like managers and players she has to be judged on her current performance. Its easy for the Board to be visible in the good times, the sign of real leadership is visibility in the bad times and on that count she's sadly lacking.

We all know what she / Gordon need to do. Lets hope they do it now and show some leadership.

brog
30-10-2019, 10:45 AM
Also never a captain.

I just saw "highlights" on Hibs TV. Porteous, who I admire greatly, was considerably at fault for the 1st goal. One minute later he made a worse mistake allowing Graham a free header which he somehow missed. If those 2 errors had been by PH there would have been a 10 page thread on his supposed incompetence by now. Similarly with Mallan there's plenty of comments re his failure to challenge for their 2nd goal. He was never in a position to make that challenge, Vela was, but for some reason Mallan's another whipping boy. Jonnyboy has, as ever, been balanced & gracious by recognising his own nemesis, Horgan, made a fine contribution after coming on. If only all posters (not having a dig at you) could do the same.
PS, I noticed our 2nd goal on Saturday came from winning the ball back with the high press, as did Flo's great opportunity soon after. I thought we didn't do the high press? :confused: