PDA

View Full Version : Mentality when we lose a goal.

we are hibs
26-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Every single time we concede a goal the panic sets in. We dont defend properly. We sit back and invite teams on. Not a single leader out there today to take a hold of their team mates and calm them down. We are in a relegation scrap. This team lack character and heart. Really saddening to see how far we have fallen in such a relatively short space of time

Heisenberg
26-10-2019, 05:51 PM
We are a team of gutless *****bags. From Hibs through and through captain Paul Hanlon right up to fancy flicks and tricks Flo Kamberi.

givescotlandfreedom
26-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Remember according to Heckingbottom the fans are to blame for making the players nervous.

BlackSheep
28-10-2019, 05:34 AM
Watched the highlights on Sportscene last night and noticed Stevenson’s reaction to the first goal... hands straight to his face and body language that screamed “here we go again”

Their confidence is at an all time low, a win would go a long way to helping that...

MWHIBBIES
28-10-2019, 05:52 AM
Why is it just the players who are gutless? Surely the fans who always start panicing and moaning and kicking off are just as gutless?

Danderhall Hibs
28-10-2019, 06:04 AM
Remember according to Heckingbottom the fans are to blame for making the players nervous.

Did he say that this week? As I’ve said on another thread we certainly didn’t help matters.

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2019, 06:09 AM
Why is it just the players who are gutless? Surely the fans who always start panicing and moaning and kicking off are just as gutless?

:faf: Yip its a joint plan from both of us.

Danderhall Hibs
28-10-2019, 06:13 AM
:faf: Yip its a joint plan from both of us.

I don’t think it’s intentional from either.

basehibby
28-10-2019, 06:29 AM
To be fair, on Saturday after going one up we kept pushing for a second which duly arrived. But after going 2-0 up the old weaknesses seemed to reassert themselves and we allowed RC back into the game.

They are trying - just not hard enough it seems.

SickBoy32
28-10-2019, 06:37 AM

These new signings are truly gutless, as is the manager who blatantly doesn't have the decency to resign.

The fans have been too patient, again. This **** should've been hounded out by now.

MWHIBBIES
28-10-2019, 06:40 AM
These new signings are truly gutless, as is the manager who blatantly doesn't have the decency to resign.

The fans have been too patient, again. This **** should've been hounded out by now.

Right but you've totally missed my point. Hibs fans were hysterical at 2-1. No roar to cheer the team on, just pure panic. Some were abusing the team at 2-1.

sean04
28-10-2019, 06:42 AM
I left after 85 on sat, seen the equilizer coming. How Brian graham could cos us so many problems is beyond me. Embarrassing

SickBoy32
28-10-2019, 06:45 AM
Right but you've totally missed my point. Hibs fans were hysterical at 2-1. No roar to cheer the team on, just pure panic. Some were abusing the team at 2-1.

I think hysterical is pushing it. A few moans and groans, which is human nature considering the team were sitting off again, inviting trouble. Everyone knew what would happen.

To blame the fans is really poor, we are not responsible for this at all.

PH has set us back years, and some canny wait to try and blame disgruntled fans.

Heisenberg
28-10-2019, 06:46 AM
Did he say that this week? As I’ve said on another thread we certainly didn’t help matters.

As Jason Naismith has said in the press, if you can’t handle playing in front of an expectant crowd you shouldn’t be at Hibernian.

BILLYHIBS
28-10-2019, 06:47 AM
It’s the fans fault. :greengrin

Surely as professional footballers you should / must be able to block out what is going on in the sidelines and focus concentrate 100% on the job in hand in not giving away possession and closing down opposition players

Give me 10k a week and I will do it

I would play for HIBS for nothing but I am 60 :greengrin

we are hibs
28-10-2019, 06:50 AM

Why are you shocked that fans started getting restless at 2-1? Do you not think its because we have seen it happen before and knew what was coming? I find it a bit strange the constant having a go at fans for making the players nervous. Its not as if its a new thing, the fans got restless quite a few times under lennon and stubbd But the players stood up most of the time and showed some balls and didnt let it affect them. Honestly it reeks of poor wee souls lets not hurt their feelings. How about they just do their job for once and see a game out.

Playing at Easter Road is a great experience for players and the fans get behind them when they see something to get behind. That doesnt mean we have to be winning. Look at celtic a few weeks back. The fans got right behind them cause they stood up and showed a bit of grit.

Danderhall Hibs
28-10-2019, 07:37 AM
It’s the fans fault. :greengrin

Surely as professional footballers you should / must be able to block out what is going on in the sidelines and focus concentrate 100% on the job in hand in not giving away possession and closing down opposition players

Give me 10k a week and I will do it

I would play for HIBS for nothing but I am 60 :greengrin

Hope they don’t block us out when we’re singing and supporting them as well, otherwise what’s the point?

WeeRussell
28-10-2019, 11:28 AM
We are a team of gutless *****bags. From Hibs through and through captain Paul Hanlon right up to fancy flicks and tricks Flo Kamberi.

We weren't such a gutless team when our manager set us up happy to put games to bed after taking a lead. Not going into (even more) defensive, panic mode.

If only we had a shop to shut-up.

BILLYHIBS
28-10-2019, 11:37 AM
Hope they don’t block us out when we’re singing and supporting them as well, otherwise what’s the point?

Do the basic stuff correctly and see games out and they will deserve the plaudits but do not use us as an excuse for the team losing

I have been singing and supporting the HIBS since the 1960s through thick and thinner and never in all that time have I been blamed for losing HIBS a match :greengrin

Bobby's Cinema
28-10-2019, 11:45 AM
It’s not as if it’s an even game when we’ve taken these leads.

Aberdeen, Hamilton, Ross county despite being a bit boring/ rigid whatever you want to say we were the stronger team in these games when taking the lead.

Before we hit that mental block/ approach instilled by the manager to sit on these leads and forget what comes natural. To go directly from that to sitting so deep and conceding chance after chance is just bizarre. Bringing guys on who would be considered outballs and asking them to retain go backwards with still 20mins in the clock.

The manager is so blatantly responsible I find it hard to put too much % of the blame on guys that have been at the club for years and have seen what they can do when set up correctly?

Sammy7nil
28-10-2019, 11:46 AM
Every single time we concede a goal the panic sets in. We dont defend properly. We sit back and invite teams on. Not a single leader out there today to take a hold of their team mates and calm them down. We are in a relegation scrap. This team lack character and heart. Really saddening to see how far we have fallen in such a relatively short space of time

It is not when we concede it is when we score when we get in front our bottle crashes and seem incapable of seeing a game out.

Danderhall Hibs
28-10-2019, 12:05 PM
Do the basic stuff correctly and see games out and they will deserve the plaudits but do not use us as an excuse for the team losing

I have been singing and supporting the HIBS since the 1960s through thick and thinner and never in all that time have I been blamed for losing HIBS a match :greengrin

I don’t think anyone’s blaming the fans but it does seem quite difficult to get the point across that negativity from the stands can impact the team in much the same way that positivity can.

WeeRussell
28-10-2019, 12:15 PM
I don’t think anyone’s blaming the fans but it does seem quite difficult to get the point across that negativity from the stands can impact the team in much the same way that positivity can.

Definitely.

But we've had fans like this for years (like every club) and will continue to do so. We can't do much about the fans - but the club can do something about what's happening on the field, and who's in charge of it.

That in turn will obviously see a more positive atmosphere coming from the stands.

I'm not one for being overly critical of my own team at games, but for those who are - I'm not surprised that we're hearing them loud and clear right now.

matty_f
28-10-2019, 12:18 PM

:agree: It's like a struggle to see that there might be more than one factor at play.

flash
28-10-2019, 12:29 PM

I am sure most of us are guilty of doing it at times but there's no doubt it has a negative effect. If you watch the highlights back of the last few games we are actually playing some good stuff at times.It's when we reach a certain point in a game, whether it's through tactical instruction or lack of player confidence, that we just seem to retreat into a wee shell. to be fair you can't blame the fans for getting restless at this point and it becomes a vicious circle almost inevitably leading to the loss of a lead.
Difficult one to know how to sort but it doesn't look like the team are getting enough help from the dugout when this happens. I don't think we are nearly as bad as some are making out but i do think we need a change of manager before it becomes critical.

matty_f
28-10-2019, 12:46 PM
I am sure most of us are guilty of doing it at times but there's no doubt it has a negative effect. If you watch the highlights back of the last few games we are actually playing some good stuff at times.It's when we reach a certain point in a game, whether it's through tactical instruction or lack of player confidence, that we just seem to retreat into a wee shell. to be fair you can't blame the fans for getting restless at this point and it becomes a vicious circle almost inevitably leading to the loss of a lead.
Difficult one to know how to sort but it doesn't look like the team are getting enough help from the dugout when this happens. I don't think we are nearly as bad as some are making out but i do think we need a change of manager before it becomes critical.

I think the problem is that we all saw it coming on Saturday. They made a change and scored shortly afterwards. The frustration in the stands came from people seeing what was coming next and the players went from being a comfortably dominant in the game to rabbits caught in the headlights.

The more they froze, the more the panic/frustration from the stands grew, and the more they froze again.

For me, this is where a manager earns his keep - not so easy from the stands but Stockdale should have been trying to get the message on to calm the players down and give them confidence in what they were doing.

gillythehibby
28-10-2019, 12:48 PM

Thought it was all the manager’s fault? 😋

flash
28-10-2019, 12:55 PM
I think the problem is that we all saw it coming on Saturday. They made a change and scored shortly afterwards. The frustration in the stands came from people seeing what was coming next and the players went from being a comfortably dominant in the game to rabbits caught in the headlights.

The more they froze, the more the panic/frustration from the stands grew, and the more they froze again.

For me, this is where a manager earns his keep - not so easy from the stands but Stockdale should have been trying to get the message on to calm the players down and give them confidence in what they were doing.
Yeah that vicious circle I referred to that is really hard to escape. If PH can't fix it we need someone who can and sharpish.

BILLYHIBS
28-10-2019, 12:55 PM
I was of course referring to Heckys comments after the St Johnstone game

Brian Graham tweeted that Easter Road was like a morgue on Saturday at the warm up and they knew they had us when they pulled a goal back

As others have alluded to visiting teams know that the crowd will turn against HIBS if things do not go to plan we need to change our mentality home and away and be mentally and physically strong and get back to winning ways which hopefully a new HC will bring

I was not having a pop at you but I have enjoyed the debate :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
28-10-2019, 12:56 PM

Agreed.

neil7908
28-10-2019, 01:07 PM
Fans only pick up on what they see from the players and manager.

basehibby
28-10-2019, 01:29 PM

As any player will tell you it goes with the territory of playing for bigger clubs with bigger expectations that if the opposition frustrates the home side enough they stand a chance of turning their crowd onto their backs.. This happens at Hibs and no amount of whinging will stop it.

Some fans see it as their responsibility to harrangue their players like a sergeant major if they are not performing up to scratch - others simply cannot help but let their frustration boil over if their team is not performing - and many at the moment are determined to let the manager/board/anyone else who will listen know that what is being served up is a very long way short of good enough for Hibernian FC.

Like yourself, I try to be positive in my support of the team, believing in the psychology of the carrot as opposed to the stick - but I honestly cannot blame my fellow fans for kicking off at the present time. And, aside from the negative impact that booing might inflict on team morale, it may just be that their barracking has a positive effect if it pushes the board into acting sooner rather than later.

ABZHFC
28-10-2019, 01:34 PM

Yep, if only we had a group of people standing with a drum in the stadium who sing for the majority of most games no matter how badly the team are playing...