PDA

View Full Version : Where’s Whittaker?

DetroitHibs
26-10-2019, 05:39 PM
Actually been one of the better performers this season, is he injured or been dropped?

we are hibs
26-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Actually been one of the better performers this season, is he injured or been dropped?

Sitting in the stand next to his manager today.

J-C
26-10-2019, 07:15 PM
Seen him at East Mains on thursday and he looked fit enough, walking about no problem.

26-10-2019, 07:36 PM
He’s past it

J-C
26-10-2019, 07:39 PM
He’s past it

But was it to an opponent or one of his own players?

BoomtownHibees
26-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Been told he’s not in the plans

Dmas
26-10-2019, 07:46 PM

Anyone tell you what that plan is?

tamig
26-10-2019, 08:02 PM
He’ll be back soon enough. Who can forget his Lazurus like comeback in the very next game following his sacking during Lennongate?

BILLYHIBS
26-10-2019, 08:06 PM
Sure I read on another thread his services were no longer required despite his MOM versus Celtic

If true just Nuts imho!

the tornadoe
26-10-2019, 08:09 PM
His car was in the players car park today when I went for a half time walk .

Jones28
26-10-2019, 08:10 PM
Anyone tell you what that plan is?

To not play the only player in the squad that has played at as high a level as he has?

Smartie
26-10-2019, 08:10 PM
It's not like we're looking for a cool-headed experienced pro who can put his foot on the ball late in games when we're in front.

Crab apple
26-10-2019, 08:15 PM

Another masterstroke from Secondbottom. Just like his decision to dump Bartley and Milligan.

Onceinawhile
26-10-2019, 08:25 PM
He was in the FFL signing autographs before the game.

Alfred E Newman
26-10-2019, 08:31 PM
He could play quite comfortable in the midfield holding role but fortunately we are well off in that department with Vela and Halberg. :stirrer:

Scouse Hibee
26-10-2019, 10:47 PM
He’s past it

He’s offered more on the pitch when he’s played than the other imposters.

GreenCastle
26-10-2019, 10:59 PM
Another masterstroke from Secondbottom. Just like his decision to dump Bartley and Milligan.

Add in piss of Marciano and Flo Plus sign many awful players and he’s doing some serious long term damage.

Sir David Gray
26-10-2019, 11:06 PM

There's a plan?

Scottie
26-10-2019, 11:11 PM
There's a plan?
Yeah a 5 year one apparently, don't know when and if its started yet :dunno:

MacGruber
27-10-2019, 01:01 AM

Yeah. Been told he can go on loan in Jan. Find it doubtful that will transpire though. Probably been our best most consistent player when he's played this year, still offers a lot - more than Vela for a start. For him the saving grace is the manager telling him he isn't in the plans will likely (hopefully) be out the door himself soon.

PompeyHibs
27-10-2019, 01:30 AM
We need him back in the team = 2007 legend
When we get back guys like Gray/ Slivka / McGregor we will start winning again + leaders

DetroitHibs
27-10-2019, 05:17 AM
Crazy. Offers much more that Vela or Naismith.

angus hibby
27-10-2019, 07:08 AM
There were many on here who complained every week when Whittaker was playing. And now he’s not, Heckingbottom getting pelters for not playing him!

staunchhibby
27-10-2019, 07:16 AM
Maybe even lose marciano.Maxwell is only here on loan and possibly go at end of season.

SickBoy32
27-10-2019, 07:22 AM
There were many on here who complained every week when Whittaker was playing. And now he’s not, Heckingbottom getting pelters for not playing him!

And as it's transpired, SW is clearly a better player than either of the RB's signed by PH.

Laughable he's been told to go on loan. Hecky Hecky GTF !

Sammy7nil
27-10-2019, 07:28 AM
He came on against Celtic and did fine since then he has been dumped. Taking in to account the lack of options we have he is the obvious man to replace Halberg when he is subbed and imho if we had done so against Aberdeen Hamilton and Ross C we would have more points than we do now.

J-C
27-10-2019, 08:26 AM

He was merely back up to Gray but if we needed to progress we needed a better and younger option at RB, James is not that and I'd say not even better than Whittaker, Naismith coming in is a poor decision and was shocking yesterday, definitely no better than Whittaker, hence why people are confused he's been told to go.

MWHIBBIES
27-10-2019, 08:28 AM
Crazy. Offers much more that Vela or Naismith.

Naismith is absolutely fine, definitely a better option at right back then Whittaker. Its midfield that we need Whittaker.

B.H.F.C
27-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Naismith is absolutely fine, definitely a better option at right back then Whittaker. Its midfield that we need Whittaker.

Naismith is the kind of player we signed pre relegation.

Just a typical SPFL plodder who isn’t even needed when we have a right back sitting on the bench and another one sitting in the stand.

18Craig75
27-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Better than Naismith

BILLYHIBS
27-10-2019, 08:56 AM

Sorry but Naismith is shocking

Then again credit where credit due brilliant ball for Horgans goal but still shocking :greengrin

Peevemor
27-10-2019, 08:58 AM
I thought Naismith played well enough yesterday and his ball through for Horgan's goal was superb.

It should be remembered that there wasn't a huge amount of action yesterday on our right hand side of the pitch.

GreenOnions
29-10-2019, 08:02 PM
Naismith is the kind of player we signed pre relegation.

Just a typical SPFL plodder who isn’t even needed when we have a right back sitting on the bench and another one sitting in the stand.

Rab Shannon, Keith Watson and quite a few others came to mind when I watched Naismith on Saturday. Honest pro but not good enough.

Would he get anywhere near the starting 11 for Aberdeen, Hearts or Killie? Not a chance.

Captain Trips
29-10-2019, 08:55 PM
https://i2.wp.com/metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/article-1346848996385-14d8f9fb000005dc-43911_636x475.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=540%2C403

Ohhh where's Whittaker

Centre Hawf
29-10-2019, 09:05 PM
This thread is bizarre. Whittaker wasn't good enough for ages and now after one or two decent performances him not playing is stick to beat Heckingbottom with?

For what it's worth there is no way he's a better right back than Naismith or James. Midfield? I don't think he's the answer either no matter how bad Vela and Mallan are in there.

If Heckingbottom has told him he can go then for once there's something I agree with him on.

Sammy7nil
29-10-2019, 09:10 PM
This thread is bizarre. Whittaker wasn't good enough for ages and now after one or two decent performances him not playing is stick to beat Heckingbottom with?

For what it's worth there is no way he's a better right back than Naismith or James. Midfield? I don't think he's the answer either no matter how bad Vela and Mallan are in there.

If Heckingbottom has told him he can go then for once there's something I agree with him on.

He should have come on in the last three games when Halberg or Allan went off. We needed a defendive midfielder to come on we did not have one.

oneone73
29-10-2019, 09:12 PM
We'll need him for defensive cover with Porteous being suspended for Saturday.

BILLYHIBS
29-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Rab Shannon, Keith Watson and quite a few others came to mind when I watched Naismith on Saturday. Honest pro but not good enough.

Would he get anywhere near the starting 11 for Aberdeen, Hearts or Killie? Not a chance.

Too slow

Captain Trips
29-10-2019, 09:37 PM

Not been a fan of SW since return and it remains that way however probably was worth a punt during this run but I am not bothered he isn't playing.

JimBHibees
29-10-2019, 09:39 PM
It is a little bizarre his lack of game time given he was motm in a game he started as sub against the best team in the league.

DetroitHibs
29-10-2019, 10:19 PM

His form this season merits being in the squad. Last season probably not, but now we are even weaker than last season.

MWHIBBIES
29-10-2019, 10:32 PM
Sorry but Naismith is shocking

Then again credit where credit due brilliant ball for Horgans goal but still shocking :greengrin

What is him being shocking based on? He isn't David Gray probably. Done nothing wrong in any game he's played so far. Much bigger problems than him.

BILLYHIBS
29-10-2019, 11:37 PM
What is him being shocking based on? He isn't David Gray probably. Done nothing wrong in any game he's played so far. Much bigger problems than him.
:confused:

Good to see you are still paying attention

My OP was 3 days ago

Based on his debut Kilmarnock away got caught napping up the park (League game 2-0 loss).

Hearts at home caught for pace looked slow and cumbersome missed a header then did not reappear until Ross County at home ( maybe injured) looked slow and behind the pace missed another chance first half as others have said would not get a game for Celtic The Rangers Hearts or Aberdeen the guy is too slow I have already said he played a cracking ball through to Horgan but would take SDG back in a heartbeat as he shows more heart,pace,urgency, desire and passion but if you are willing to accept fifth best and mediocrity be my guest crack on

J-C
30-10-2019, 08:43 AM

My OP was 3 days ago

Based on his debut Kilmarnock away got caught napping up the park (League game 2-0 loss).

Hearts at home caught for pace looked slow and cumbersome missed a header then did not reappear until Ross County at home ( maybe injured) looked slow and behind the pace missed another chance first half as others have said would not get a game for Celtic The Rangers Hearts or Aberdeen the guy is too slow I have already said he played a cracking ball through to Horgan but would take SDG back in a heartbeat as he shows more heart,pace,urgency, desire and passion but if you are willing to accept fifth best and mediocrity be my guest crack on

Your watching the same Naismith as me, a wage wasted as we have James and Whittaker as cover.

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2019, 08:47 AM

My OP was 3 days ago

Nobody is saying he’s the new messi, but when we are bringing off a defensive midfielder and bringing on Newell, people are rightfully asking why are they not replacing him with someone who can actually do that job than with someone who can’t really do any job. It’s not about anyone accepting 5th best, it’s about getting the best out of every player and helping the team be as strong as it can be at all times.

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2019, 08:52 AM
Your watching the same Naismith as me, a wage wasted as we have James and Whittaker as cover.

Agree the fans deserve better

More quality needed not quantity

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2019, 08:55 AM
Nobody is saying he’s the new messi, but when we are bringing off a defensive midfielder and bringing on Newell, people are rightfully asking why are they not replacing him with someone who can actually do that job than with someone who can’t really do any job. It’s not about anyone accepting 5th best, it’s about getting the best out of every player and helping the team be as strong as it can be at all times.

Agree BH

Aberdeen away a case in point

McWinless was on the TV at the weekend saying that was a well deserved point was it f##k we threw away two points

Poor game management

Hibbyradge
30-10-2019, 08:57 AM
Whittaker no longer in the plans?

Is this a fact?

Or a FACT?

oldbutdim
30-10-2019, 09:03 AM
Whittaker no longer in the plans?

Is this a fact?

Or a FACT?

FACT.

Endof.

Hibbyradge
30-10-2019, 09:06 AM
FACT.

Endof.

Thanks for the clarification. :greengrin

His legs have gone etc.

eastcoasthibby
30-10-2019, 09:23 AM
Whittaker is really good reader of the game and as someone said he was the type of player needed in the last 3 games when Hallberg has come off to sit as defensive midfield and he isn't as slow as Mallan and has a greater presence as well .. .he needs to be on the bench tonight !!

FilipinoHibs
30-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Yeah. Been told he can go on loan in Jan. Find it doubtful that will transpire though. Probably been our best most consistent player when he's played this year, still offers a lot - more than Vela for a start. For him the saving grace is the manager telling him he isn't in the plans will likely (hopefully) be out the door himself soon.

Was ok when came on vs Celtic at CH but been ripped to pieces at full back. Afraid he is past it. Time to hang up boots.

GreenCastle
30-10-2019, 09:33 AM
In a few years back we will be talking about Heckys time at Hibs.

Mackie being shipped out on load after a good start to the season but a handball.

SW getting man of match then told he can go ?

Shaw being told he’s going on loan then doesn’t go - then comes on as sub before Doidge at Motherwell away.

Allan playing right midfield / right wing back at home.

Doidge missing chances at Aberdeen then starts next game and doesn’t have a shot on goal and brings Flo on 5 mins to go who does more in 5 minutes.

Taking Hallberg off several times and losing leads / games.

Fraser Murray on the left when he plays on the right.

Dropping 3 of our best players in Flo / Marciano and Allan and expecting to win games.

Not giving any new youth players a chance as playing his expensive flops.

Signing Middleton who gets MOTM for Scotland but can’t get a game for us.

Getting rid of 2 CDM (Captain Oz and Livingston) and and not bringing in a single replacement or similar leader.

3 right backs and only LS as left back. Only 3 strikers and as above no CDM.

Losing to a horrendous Hearts team.
Losing 6 to Rangers.
League cup form.
Dropping points to a rubbish Aberdeen with 10 men and x18 year olds.

Could go on...

Greenio
30-10-2019, 09:37 AM

:top marks

Although not sure why he gets told this now. Surely, like Milligan, he should have been told early on.

Anyway, Whitty playing or not playing is the least of my concerns with the team just now!

easty
30-10-2019, 09:41 AM
In a few years back we will be talking about Heckys time at Hibs.

Mackie being shipped out on load after a good start to the season but a handball.

SW getting man of match then told he can go ?

Shaw being told he’s going on loan then doesn’t go - then comes on as sub before Doidge at Motherwell away.

Allan playing right midfield / right wing back at home.

Doidge missing chances at Aberdeen then starts next game and doesn’t have a shot on goal and brings Flo on 5 mins to go who does more in 5 minutes.

Taking Hallberg off several times and losing leads / games.

Fraser Murray on the left when he plays on the right.

Dropping 3 of our best players in Flo / Marciano and Allan and expecting to win games.

Not giving any new youth players a chance as playing his expensive flops.

Signing Middleton who gets MOTM for Scotland but can’t get a game for us.

Getting rid of 2 CDM (Captain Oz and Livingston) and and not bringing in a single replacement or similar leader.

3 right backs and only LS as left back. Only 3 strikers and as above no CDM.

Losing to a horrendous Hearts team.
Losing 6 to Rangers.
League cup form.
Dropping points to a rubbish Aberdeen with 10 men and x18 year olds.

Could go on...

As much as Heckinbottom is an obvious dud...you're being a tad harsh here.

Mackie didn't have a good start to the season.

Whittaker, man of the match or not, is done. He doesn't have the legs for full back, and he's not good enough to play midfield.

Our youth players aren't in the side cos they aren't good enough.

The players were at fault for our loss to Hearts.

Mackie was largely to blame for us being pumped at Ibrox.

easty
30-10-2019, 09:44 AM
Was ok when came on vs Celtic at CH but been ripped to pieces at full back. Afraid he is past it. Time to hang up boots.

If Whittaker is going to be in the team, it has to be at centre half. I'd not have him there, but he's of no use elsewhere in my opinion.

Stick him at full back and any opposition manager with half a brain will tell his team to focus on that area, but balls in behind him and get him turning. He can't do it.

GreenCastle
30-10-2019, 09:50 AM
As much as Heckinbottom is an obvious dud...you're being a tad harsh here.

Mackie didn't have a good start to the season.

Whittaker, man of the match or not, is done. He doesn't have the legs for full back, and he's not good enough to play midfield.

Our youth players aren't in the side cos they aren't good enough.

The players were at fault for our loss to Hearts.

Mackie was largely to blame for us being pumped at Ibrox.

Not saying Mackie was ready for 1st choice but he definitely has showing signs there is a player there but his confidence will have been shattered now. Think of his assist last season and several previous good performances.

The team was set up wrong against Rangers. The whole back line with no midfield were dodgy. Managers tactics all wrong.

Youth players..I’ve said before I’m worried about lack of youth progressing - even the youth derby against Hearts I wasn’t impressed either either team.

Hearts game - managers fault - 2-0 possible game over - sit back and take Hallberg off - Mallan can’t do the defensive midfielder job.

While some of the recruitment has been woeful I 100% believe a new manager would get better results out of this group.

easty
30-10-2019, 09:55 AM
Not saying Mackie was ready for 1st choice but he definitely has showing signs there is a player there but his confidence will have been shattered now. Think of his assist last season and several previous good performances.

The team was set up wrong against Rangers. The whole back line with no midfield were dodgy. Managers tactics all wrong.

Youth players..I’ve said before I’m worried about lack of youth progressing - even the youth derby against Hearts I wasn’t impressed either either team.

Hearts game - managers fault - 2-0 possible game over - sit back and take Hallberg off - Mallan can’t do the defensive midfielder job.

While some of the recruitment has been woeful I 100% believe a new manager would get better results out of this group.

Mackies not good enough. He's now a sub at Dundee on loan, in the Championship. That's not because we killed his confidence, it's because he's not up to the standard.

For whatever reason, we're just not producing good enough young players.

I totally agree with you on one thing, a new manager would get better results out of this group of players. I've no doubt about it.

JimBHibees
30-10-2019, 01:40 PM
Whittaker is really good reader of the game and as someone said he was the type of player needed in the last 3 games when Hallberg has come off to sit as defensive midfield and he isn't as slow as Mallan and has a greater presence as well .. .he needs to be on the bench tonight !!

Agree could still do a job in there as cover given how light we are in midfield

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2019, 01:48 PM
I think if true Whitt’s has been harshly dealt with here imho

If it was a normal job he would have a case for constructive dismissal but I suppose he will just run his contract down

He still has loads of experience and advice to pass on

If true must rank up there with letting Milligan and Bartley go

Dearie me!

Iggy Pope
30-10-2019, 02:07 PM

My OP was 3 days ago

That’s a bit rich from the man who replied to his own Brian Graham thread from a year ago.

The 90+2
30-10-2019, 02:17 PM
That’s a bit rich from the man who replied to his own Brian Graham thread from a year ago.

Do you agree with post or not or are you just going to start an argument on another post trolling the poster?

Iggy Pope
30-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Do you agree with post or not or are you just going to start an argument on another post trolling the poster?

Starting an argument you say? Not sure I needed that from the man or woman that referred to me in a PM on personal terms when I have no idea who the **** he or she is. Still don’t. But for what it’s worth I thought mine was worth the comment. I’m sure Billy is the one to respond. OK with you superintendent?

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2019, 02:33 PM

Still carrying a torch for my hero Brian Graham

I thought he took his goal well but didn’t have to beat much 😁

Hey don’t let me interrupt you guys having a go at each other ain’t nothing else happening until 7.45pm anyways 😁

Iggy Pope
30-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Still carrying a torch for my hero Brian Graham

I thought he took his goal well but didn’t have to beat much 😁

Hey don’t let me interrupt you guys having a go at each other ain’t nothing else happening until 7.45pm anyways 😁

Explains it. Not quite one of the immortals but you’re welcome to your thoughts on the lump Billy.

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2019, 02:44 PM
Explains it. Not quite one of the immortals but you’re welcome to your thoughts on the lump Billy.

Did not want to start a new thread on a goal scored against us by an ex Hibby so just did a search under Brian Graham

Did not realise I had started it

The perils of being a prolific poster with a weird sense of what makes an average player a cult hero up there with Matty Jack and Super Joe Tortolano

Maybe cult hero is not the correct way to describe Brian Graham ? 🤔

oldbutdim
30-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Did not want to start a new thread on a goal scored against us by an ex Hibby so just did a search under Brian Graham

Did not realise I had started it

The perils of being a prolific poster with a weird sense of what makes an average player a cult hero up there with Matty Jack and Super Joe Tortolano

Maybe cult hero is not the correct way to describe Brian Graham ? 🤔

I think he was only a letter away from being a cult to many Hibs fans.

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2019, 03:04 PM
I think he was only a letter away from being a cult to many Hibs fans.

👍🏾

eastcoasthibby
30-10-2019, 03:47 PM
If Whittaker has been told he isn't in the picture it's another of the ongoing stream of awful decisions by this clown we have guising as a manager ....he hasn't a clue who to play where in what set up that will give a performance and desire that's going to get us going ...the team is devoid of any backbone, leadership or winning mentality ..and a manager who shows no leadership or passion for the job and blames everyone and everything else for poor football and an apathy amongst his players that I can't remember seeing before as bad as this ..

Smartie
30-10-2019, 04:26 PM
Telling anyone they are free to go in October when they can't go anywhere and you might need to call on them again over the next few months (even in a dire emergency) would be pathetic management.

Fair enough telling him on the eve of the transfer window when he might be able to do something about it.

Heckingbottom has his faults, many faults, but I don't think he is enough of an idiot to have done this, especially so soon after Whittaker came into the side and played a significant role in achieving a decent result against Celtic.

hibeerealist
30-10-2019, 04:39 PM
He came on against Celtic and did fine since then he has been dumped. Taking in to account the lack of options we have he is the obvious man to replace Halberg when he is subbed and imho if we had done so against Aberdeen Hamilton and Ross C we would have more points than we do now.

:agree: spot on!

hibeerealist
30-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Yep and if there is a bad choice (player to take off or bring on) then Hecky will make it every time, he is worse than useless.

18Craig75
30-10-2019, 09:58 PM
Whittaker needs recalled ASAP. Yes it is a mark of how far we’ve fallen. Maybe he’s not as good as he was but at least he always wants the ball!

I thought James was pathetic tonight. Didn’t want the ball so basically stayed in positions where he wouldn’t receive it. Made no runs down the line, didn’t show to receive any passes. The few times he did get on the ball he gave it away. Severe lack of character in this one.

MacGruber
31-10-2019, 05:42 AM
Telling anyone they are free to go in October when they can't go anywhere and you might need to call on them again over the next few months (even in a dire emergency) would be pathetic management.

Fair enough telling him on the eve of the transfer window when he might be able to do something about it.

Heckingbottom has his faults, many faults, but I don't think he is enough of an idiot to have done this, especially so soon after Whittaker came into the side and played a significant role in achieving a decent result against Celtic.

Yes, he is enough of an idiot.

MacGruber
04-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Might get a game now - part of the set up for taking the team Saturday

hibbyfraelibby
04-11-2019, 08:23 PM
I think we now know the reason Whitts has been missing. He's now at the wheel

Billy Whizz
04-11-2019, 08:28 PM
I’d rather he was playing right back on Saturday, unlikely now as he’s part of the coaching staff

Iggy Pope
04-11-2019, 10:32 PM
I’d rather he was playing right back on Saturday, unlikely now as he’s part of the coaching staff

Player coach really wouldn’t be groundbreaking

MacGruber
06-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Interesting to hear Bartleys views on the Livi game and that in our current situation he would be playing Whittaker.

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2019, 09:29 PM

I thought he’d been told he could go? Read it on here somewhere last week.

MacGruber
06-11-2019, 09:31 PM
I thought he’d been told he could go? Read it on here somewhere last week.

Yeah he was - by the man who has now gone himself! Will be up to the new man how he sees his future now

The 90+2
06-11-2019, 11:37 PM
Yeah he was - by the man who has now gone himself! Will be up to the new man how he sees his future now

He was told in the summer he was free to leave.

Irony possibly but he might just end up heavily involved in the coaching staff of our next manager.

BoomtownHibees
07-11-2019, 12:24 AM
He was told in the summer he was free to leave.

Irony possibly but he might just end up heavily involved in the coaching staff of our next manager.

He wasn’t told in the summer. It was only recently it happened.

Would be glad to see the new man reverse that decision as he’s a gold squad player to have that can play in a number of different positions when called upon

MacGruber
07-11-2019, 08:27 AM
He wasn’t told in the summer. It was only recently it happened.

Would be glad to see the new man reverse that decision as he’s a gold squad player to have that can play in a number of different positions when called upon

He was told a couple of weeks ago - then had to try and not look glum on tv doing the scottish cup draw. Yeah good squad player and very respected in the dressingroom - just have to read Bartley's piece the other day as another example. Think it would be great if he became part of the new coaching set up. He's been a top professional on and off the park. Steered clear of the drink and other distractions in his teens and took what ability he had and carved out a wonderful career winning the major honours here with Rangers, going down and playing in the Premiership and playing for his country. He is also a top bloke who has never had a bad word to say about Hibs. His playing days are a bit numbered anyway, constantly managing pain and taking injections to play but he still has a bit to offer this current group with his experience until we bring in better recruits