PDA

View Full Version : Bottle and Leadership

DaveF
26-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Missing from ER.

A team of light hearted fairies.

Get someone in n who can instill some organisation into the side or championship here we come.

KingFranck
26-10-2019, 05:26 PM
Pity big Daz is injured cos he would provide exactly that

emerald green
26-10-2019, 05:47 PM
As soon as Brian Graham (remember him at ER?) scored with only RC's second shot on target, Hibs crumbled again. Graham should have scored a second goal a minute later! Everyone in the ground knew what was coming next, and it did. There is now a sense of inevitability that Hibs will not see a game out and win, even at home.

"Fragile Hibs pegged back again" is one headline I read online. 5 league games in a row now Hibs have blown a lead. This time from two goals in front against the mighty Ross County. How many do they need? Three, four, five ffs? The article goes on to say... "This team and their ineffectual summer signings have regressed to the soft bellied, vulnerable stereotype that blighted them for years. Some of them don't seem to have the appetite for the helter-skelter battle this league demands. "In short, "Hibs-ing it" is back in the Scottish football vernacular."

To me, the last sentence above is utterly unforgivable after all the work and effort that had (previously) gone into ridding the club/team of that reputation. They are mentally soft as s****. No leaders on or off the park.

Hibees1973
26-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Just watched the Sheffield Utd manager Chris Wilder on the TV.

They are sitting 7th in the Premiership which is mainly due to their manager. Wilder is inspirational and getting the maximum out of his players. A team mostly made of unknown lower division players, are showing no shortage of fight, organisation, mental strength and the title of this thread Bottle and Leadership. I know the Premiership is a different level to the SPL but it is all relative. This puts Heckingbottom’s management abilities and his squad to shame. His lot have shown none of this.

Hibs did show these qualities consistently under Lennon. Regular wins over Celtic, Rangers and Hearts. I am aware we did have a bad run at the end of his tenure but we are Hibs.

I cannot see any of these qualities in the current Hibs squad and management. This is due to poor recruitment by Mathie and Heckingbottom.

We need some of our current squad to step up. Pity Gray and MacGregor are not close to getting back in the side. However, these two have physical frailties which means we cannot rely on them either.

So where do we turn next?

My feeling is we will not win on Wednesday as Livingston have a tough mental attitude that we do not possess. The semi next week will be at least a 3 goal defeat at Hampden based on what I have seen so far.

If we are still sitting second bottom, or worse and out of the League Cup this time next week Heckingbottom will have to go. Cannot see anyone with intelligence at the club tolerating a big drop in crowds and revenue. This will however be expensive and unfortunately we will be left with at least 10 players that are not of the calibre we have had in the last 3-4 years. What happens to others at the club. Dempster, Stockdale, Mathie and other coaches. They are all culpable.

Who will be our next manager. Probably Jack Ross. He is available so no compensation payment needed. We would have to be quick though as Hearts may need a new manager as well soon.

Prognosis for the remainder of the season. It will be a struggle with this squad, especially the new recruits. We are likely to be scratching around between 9th - 12th, but hopefully safety at the end of the season. The new manager will need 2-3 transfer windows to sort out the squad.

This is where our new owner comes in. Gordon will need to get the wallet out and support the new manager. Ship out the duds and get proven SPL players in. I would start with Lawless at Livingston and try and get McGeouch, McNulty & Ambrose back. Sunderland have a new manager in and likely going to overhaul their squad.

Hibs will be in the news for all the wrong reasons soon.

Sad given what we had a couple of years back.

Joe6-2
26-10-2019, 06:47 PM
As soon as Brian Graham (remember him at ER?) scored with only RC's second shot on target, Hibs crumbled again. Graham should have scored a second goal a minute later! Everyone in the ground knew what was coming next, and it did. There is now a sense of inevitability that Hibs will not see a game out and win, even at home.

"Fragile Hibs pegged back again" is one headline I read online. 5 league games in a row now Hibs have blown a lead. This time from two goals in front against the mighty Ross County. How many do they need? Three, four, five ffs? The article goes on to say... "This team and their ineffectual summer signings have regressed to the soft bellied, vulnerable stereotype that blighted them for years. Some of them don't seem to have the appetite for the helter-skelter battle this league demands. "In short, "Hibs-ing it" is back in the Scottish football vernacular."

To me, the last sentence above is utterly unforgivable after all the work and effort that had (previously) gone into ridding the club/team of that reputation. They are mentally soft as s****. No leaders on or off the park.

This! Unforgivable it certainly is

Real Emerald
26-10-2019, 06:49 PM

My son said he was going to the loo before County got the equaliser as it would be difficult to get back due to the mass walk out. He’d been gone around 30 seconds and never got back. Should have put the bet on first 😂☹️

Golden Bear
26-10-2019, 06:56 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if our midfield players are banned from making a good old fashioned slide tackle. Collectively the team bottled out of a fair number of 50/50 challenges today.

J-C
26-10-2019, 07:37 PM
There are no leaders on the park, Hanlon may be vice captain but he's no leader, we have no one to just take the game by the balls and show the rest of the players what needs to be done.

J-C
26-10-2019, 07:38 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if our midfield players are banned from making a good old fashioned slide tackle. Collectively the team bottled out of a fair number of 50/50 challenges today.

Stick Lewis in there and let him show them how to do it.

Hibs4185
26-10-2019, 08:00 PM
Bartley would’ve been the man to get tore into the players on and off the pitch. Perhaps PH’s biggest mistake

PISTOL1875
26-10-2019, 08:12 PM
When you have a captain like paul hanlon , of course you aren't gonna have any bottle..

Bob Box Fish
26-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Were McGregor and Gray not handed extended contracts as club ambassadors, both are taking wages for doing absolutely nothing, maybe these guys could do a bit in the dressing room?

J-C
26-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Were McGregor and Gray not handed extended contracts as club ambassadors, both are taking wages for doing absolutely nothing, maybe these guys could do a bit in the dressing room?

They're working with the youngsters as mentors, we were told this on thurday, I think they're also doing their badges.

I think they'd be over stepping their marks by taking over a half time team talk.

the tornadoe
26-10-2019, 08:21 PM
I thought SDG & Daz were given long term contracts on the basis their presence around the club when ( not playing / retired) would be influential in regards to the players / coaching staff. Basically not to allow the old " soft Hibs " to return.
Maybe the board need to hear what these 2 have to say as far as the current situation is concerned ??

Bob Box Fish
26-10-2019, 08:22 PM
They're working with the youngsters as mentors, we were told this on thurday, I think they're also doing their badges.

I think they'd be over stepping their marks by taking over a half time team talk.

Maybe that’s what we need ? Hecky’s a wet fart.

The Harp Awakes
26-10-2019, 08:28 PM
Missing from ER.

Get someone in n who can instill some organisation into the side or championship here we come.

Agreed. No spine, character or passion in the team. Looks like the players have gone back to the startled rabbits they were before the Stubbs and Lennon years. Criminal.

Crab apple
26-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Bartley would’ve been the man to get tore into the players on and off the pitch. Perhaps PH’s biggest mistake

I’m sure Marv is ****ting himself at the thought of a midfield battle with our warrior Vela. Letting Marv and Milligan go without replacing them was one of a number of stupid decision’s PH has made. And while I’m not a Whittaker fan I think telling him he’s free to go when we’re in the state we are is crazy. We’re badly missing leadership, experience and bottle.

Scouse Hibee
26-10-2019, 10:45 PM
I’m sure Marv is ****ting himself at the thought of a midfield battle with our warrior Vela. Letting Marv and Milligan go without replacing them was one of a number of stupid decision’s PH has made. And while I’m not a Whittaker fan I think telling him he’s free to go when we’re in the state we are is crazy. We’re badly missing leadership, experience and bottle.

When was Whittaker told he was free to go?

GreenCastle
26-10-2019, 10:49 PM

Great post.

flash
26-10-2019, 10:50 PM
Stick Lewis in there and let him show them how to do it.

He is barely adequate in his own position .

matty_f
26-10-2019, 10:52 PM
Missing from ER.

Exactly the problem. When we conceded the first the whole team collectively shat themselves.

We are as soft as they come, we were crying out for someone to set the tone for the team but there was nobody stepping up.

Hecky's time is up, he's responsible for this mess but the players need to take a long, hard look at themselves as well as there's no excuse for capitulating like that today.

Sir David Gray
26-10-2019, 10:52 PM

Agree with every word.

26-10-2019, 11:14 PM
Sick of hearing about our set up off the pitch and how it’s meant to be so much better than the rest. The “Southampton Model”. Clearly it’s not working and we’re being spun a line.

Outside the ugly sisters in the current top 6 only Aberdeen are likely to be spending more than us. So pound for pound are we getting value for our money? NO!

Motherwell and Kilmarnock clearly have the bottle and leadership we’re lacking.

Motherwell and Kilmarnock are both a country mile ahead of us despite operating on a fraction of our budget! What are they doing that we’re not? What’s so good about their structure and recruitment? Motherwell are much improver on last season and Kilmarnock who looked like a basket case at the start of the season are now mile ahead of us. Maybe Ron needs to start looking at what’s working elsewhere and stop listening to those at Easter Road who’re clearly underachieving.

One Day Soon
26-10-2019, 11:22 PM
Exactly the problem. When we conceded the first the whole team collectively shat themselves.

We are as soft as they come, we were crying out for someone to set the tone for the team but there was nobody stepping up.

Hecky's time is up, he's responsible for this mess but the players need to take a long, hard look at themselves as well as there's no excuse for capitulating like that today.

They were a disgrace to their Hibernian jerseys today. It was like watching a football definition of invertebrate. There are eunuchs with more balls.

NC1875
26-10-2019, 11:34 PM
Sick of hearing about our set up off the pitch and how it’s meant to be so much better than the rest. The “Southampton Model”. Clearly it’s not working and we’re being spun a line.

Outside the ugly sisters in the current top 6 only Aberdeen are likely to be spending more than us. So pound for pound are we getting value for our money? NO!

Motherwell and Kilmarnock are both a country mile ahead of us despite operating on a fraction of our budget! What are they doing that we’re not? What’s so good about their structure and recruitment? Motherwell are much improver on last season and Kilmarnock who looked like a basket case at the start of the season are now mile ahead of us. Maybe Ron needs to start looking at what’s working elsewhere and stop listening to those at Easter Road who’re clearly underachieving.

The Southampton model seems pretty apt after there 9-0 hammering last night

26-10-2019, 11:39 PM

10/10

B.H.F.C
26-10-2019, 11:55 PM
Lack of leadership is disgraceful.

No standards. No demands.

Our most senior players, Hanlon and Stevenson, are the biggest culprits. Just going through the motions like the rest of them.

NC1875
26-10-2019, 11:57 PM

Crab apple
27-10-2019, 06:30 AM
When was Whittaker told he was free to go?

A couple of weeks ago.

Bob Box Fish
27-10-2019, 06:40 AM
The phrase ‘Hibs it’ seemed to go after the Scottish Cup win and rightly so. Heckingbottom has brought it back to new levels.

ShetlandHibby
27-10-2019, 06:44 AM
We’re definitely deserving of the term hibsing it at the moment. This clown must go

ronaldo7
27-10-2019, 06:48 AM
We've gone back to the boy band era. Too soft, and lacking bite, determination, desire.

angus hibby
27-10-2019, 07:04 AM

No doubt this will upset a few, but the “support” from the East Stand didn’t help either. Not long after Ross Country got their 1st goal, they missed a chance which resulted in a chorus of boos which came from the East. We were WINNING at the time! Up until they scored, they had offered absolutely nothing, so why on earth boo at that particular time.

More than ever, the players needed the fans to get behind them given what’s happened in the last few games, but no, some fans boo them when we’re winning 2-1 and had been in control of the game

we are hibs
27-10-2019, 07:09 AM
No doubt this will upset a few, but the “support” from the East Stand didn’t help either. Not long after Ross Country got their 1st goal, they missed a chance which resulted in a chorus of boos which came from the East. We were WINNING at the time! Up until they scored, they had offered absolutely nothing, so why on earth boo at that particular time.

More than ever, the players needed the fans to get behind them given what’s happened in the last few games, but no, some fans boo them when we’re winning 2-1 and had been in control of the game

Aye its the fans fault.

Sir David Gray
27-10-2019, 07:12 AM

The support yesterday was the best it's been for a while considering we haven't won a league game in almost 3 months.

We went from comfortably winning 2-0 to almost being pegged back to 2-2 in the space of about 90 seconds.

If a few people started booing at that point then it's understandable. Our start to the season and inability to hold onto a lead is a disgrace.

J-C
27-10-2019, 07:12 AM

Have you seen the last few games? 2-0 up and we sat very deep and went back into our shells again inviting them onto us, the goal from them was inevitable, that's why they booed.

Brightside
27-10-2019, 07:13 AM
Midfield is a shambles right now. As soon as Hallberg leaves the field we lose all shape and any effort tbh. Mallan Allan and Vela provide nothing defensively and that showed again once the change was made. Both goals are easy to defend against if you have any heart or desire.

Danderhall Hibs
27-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Aye its the fans fault.

It’s an easy retort however we’ve all got our part to play. A lot of folk are negative mixed, almost revelling in this. We’re supposed to be their to support, not panic and put more pressure on them.

Each to their own though.

emerald green
27-10-2019, 10:03 AM
It’s an easy retort however we’ve all got our part to play. A lot of folk are negative mixed, almost revelling in this. We’re supposed to be their to support, not panic and put more pressure on them.

Each to their own though.

The bit in bold. That includes the head coach, his assistant, and the players, and none of them are playing their part.

Neither are the Board, by allowing this shambles to continue for months.

It's not the supporters who are panicking. It's a team full of mentally weak bottlers that is the problem. No leadership, on or off the pitch.

angus hibby
27-10-2019, 10:08 AM
The bit in bold. That includes the head coach, his assistant, and the players, and none of them are playing their part.

It's not the supporters who are panicking. It's a team full of mentally weak bottlers that is the problem. No leadership, on or off the pitch.

Everyone panicked yesterday, including the supporters who decided to boo when we were 2-1 up.

emerald green
27-10-2019, 10:13 AM
Everyone panicked yesterday, including the supporters who decided to boo when we were 2-1 up.

Who do you classify as "everyone"?

Danderhall Hibs
27-10-2019, 10:26 AM

You’re right - that’s why I said everyone. I’m not denying that the players and management have to play their part but the support should try and support the team. Just IMO obviously cos I know some folk disagree with that.

Everyone that was grumbling at 2-1 were panicking as well and you could argue it affected the players.

emerald green
27-10-2019, 10:38 AM
You’re right - that’s why I said everyone. I’m not denying that the players and management have to play their part but the support should try and support the team. Just IMO obviously cos I know some folk disagree with that.

Everyone that was grumbling at 2-1 were panicking as well and you could argue it affected the players.

Your earlier post seemed to imply it was the supporters only you were referring to. I may have misinterpreted it though.

If fans were "grumbling" after RC almost scored a second goal straight after their first one, who could really blame them? The supporters are entitled to express their views (managers, coaches and players all know and accept that) and the huge majority could sense what was coming, and they were proven correct.

If this was the first time this has happened, OK. But it's now five consecutive league matches this has happened. Only difference this time was it was a two goal lead squandered.

There is something seriously awry at ER.

Danderhall Hibs
27-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Your earlier post seemed to imply it was the supporters only you were referring to. I may have misinterpreted it though.

If fans were "grumbling" after RC almost scored a second goal straight after their first one, who could really blame them? The supporters are entitled to express their views (managers, coaches and players all know and accept that) and the huge majority could sense what was coming, and they were proven correct.

If this was the first time this has happened, OK. But it's now five consecutive league matches this has happened. Only difference this time was it was a two goal lead squandered.

There is something seriously awry at ER.

I did mean everyone - those that absolve supporters the blame of everything are wrong (imo).

There is something wrong - the negativity and mindset seem wrong. And that includes the fans (but not solely).

emerald green
27-10-2019, 10:54 AM
I did mean everyone - those that absolve supporters the blame of everything are wrong (imo).

There is something wrong - the negativity and mindset seem wrong. And that includes the fans (but not solely).

We'll need to agree to disagree (apart from there is something awry at ER). The supporters are in no way to blame for the shambles at ER at the moment IMO. They didn't appoint the head coach. They didn't sign players who are just not good enough.

Hibs supporters, if anything, are far more patient and tolerant when things are going badly than the supporters of many other clubs.

Danderhall Hibs
27-10-2019, 10:56 AM
We'll need to agree to disagree (apart from there is something awry at ER). The supporters are in no way to blame for the shambles at ER at the moment IMO. They didn't appoint the head coach. They didn't sign players who are just not good enough.

Hibs supporters, if anything, are far more patient and tolerant when things are going badly than the supporters of many other clubs.

We’ve not been patient this time. We were on his case early doors and it’s too far gone now.

Negativity in the stands doesn’t help - I’m not sure how you can say it doesn’t have an impact.

Captain Trips
27-10-2019, 11:00 AM
We’ve not been patient this time. We were on his case early doors and it’s too far gone now.

Negativity in the stands doesn’t help - I’m not sure how you can say it doesn’t have an impact.

If Heckingbottom was a Hibs fan this is what he would say. He and his players alone are to blame, no fans nothing. 100% all down to the management.

Danderhall Hibs
27-10-2019, 11:05 AM
If Heckingbottom was a Hibs fan this is what he would say. He and his players alone are to blame, no fans nothing. 100% all down to the management.

Would he say what I said or what you said in you second sentence?

If the same as me I’d say he’s spot on.

emerald green
27-10-2019, 11:07 AM

"This time" it's probably because the fans can spot a dud, and dud signings, when they see them. They've been proven correct. A glance at the current league table will confirm that.

How many "times" must there be before supporters express their displeasure, and utter frustration, at what they are seeing every week? Is any criticism from the stands to be forbidden? I'm afraid that's not what football fans do. At any club.

We're going round in circles. I'm out now.

Danderhall Hibs
27-10-2019, 11:15 AM
"This time" it's probably because the fans can spot a dud, and dud signings, when they see them. They've been proven correct. A glance at the current league table will confirm that.

How many "times" must there be before supporters express their displeasure, and utter frustration, at what they are seeing every week? Is any criticism from the stands to be forbidden? I'm afraid that's not what football fans do. At any club.

We're going round in circles. I'm out now.

Criticism was happening when we were winning the first game of the season. Whittaker was past it, his legs were gone, “I’m leaving if he brings him on”.

Folk wrote the signings off before they had played a game this season - in the hope they could say “see I was right and know what I’m talking about”.

Folk revel in us being poor and are lapping this up.

emerald green
27-10-2019, 11:20 AM
Criticism was happening when we were winning the first game of the season. Whittaker was past it, his legs were gone, “I’m leaving if he brings him on”.

Folk wrote the signings off before they had played a game this season - in the hope they could say “see I was right and know what I’m talking about”.

Folk revel in us being poor and are lapping this up.

The bit in bold. Not me I can assure you. I, and I suspect every Hibs fan, want the team to be successful. People are all individuals and have different ways of showing support and/or their displeasure and frustration.

PS: Are you happy with summer signings? I'll exclude Allan and Hallberg.

Danderhall Hibs
27-10-2019, 11:25 AM
The bit in bold. Not me I can assure you. I, and I suspect every Hibs fan, want the team to be successful. People are all individuals and have different ways of showing support and/or their displeasure and frustration.

PS: Are you happy with summer signings? I'll exclude Allan and Hallberg.

I never said you - we almost agree, it’s just that you don’t think the fans can affect performance (which presumably works positively or negatively).

I’m sure all Hibs fans want us to do well but some become far more active when we aren’t doing well which gives the perception of revelling in it.

In addition to the 2 that are excluded, I think James and Maxwell are decent. Early to say on Jackson but he appears decent enough. I think Doidge just needs a goal and his confidence will rocket (assuming we don’t crucify him (eg the wine scandal) and wreck that again).

I’m going to exclude Vela and Newall from this. :wink:

matty_f
27-10-2019, 11:25 AM

There's a thread on here about the board having their heads in the sand, and I think anyone believing that fans have no impact on the players must also have their head in the sand.

A Hi-Bee
27-10-2019, 11:29 AM
A big hard as **** no nonsense centre back, along with a big hard as **** no nonesense midfield player finish with a big hard as **** no nonesense forward who can really mix it up and get some goals, the rest are side players.
Leadership through the spine of the team, what we have now is a team with a backbone of jelly.

emerald green
27-10-2019, 05:09 PM
I never said you - we almost agree, it’s just that you don’t think the fans can affect performance (which presumably works positively or negatively).

I’m sure all Hibs fans want us to do well but some become far more active when we aren’t doing well which gives the perception of revelling in it.

In addition to the 2 that are excluded, I think James and Maxwell are decent. Early to say on Jackson but he appears decent enough. I think Doidge just needs a goal and his confidence will rocket (assuming we don’t crucify him (eg the wine scandal) and wreck that again).

I’m going to exclude Vela and Newall from this. :wink:

We almost agree, but not quite. Lets leave it at that. :aok:

Pretty Boy
27-10-2019, 05:21 PM
I said last week the players were getting an easy ride because of the vitriol being aimed at the manager, he's been a good shield for them.

What happened yesterday was a collective arse collapse as soon as RC scored and a collective and individual failure to step up and drag us across the line. There was evidently nerves and the booing and howling, when we were 2-1 up, didn't help but they have to deal with that. They are partly to blame for that happening due to their performance levels not being anywhere near good enough.

Would a team with a John McGinn or Marvin Bartley have allowed a player to pick up a loose ball 30 yards out, carry it forward, pick his spot and fire it home. Not a chance, they would have been throwing their bodies on the line to make a tackle, a block or just put the player under pressure. We had guys walking about with hands on hips. You can talk about tactics all you like but sometimes a winners instinct and a real desire to do your job is needed. That's lacking at the moment.

Too many players are coasting right now and others are just not performing to the level they can. Hibs fans can be absolutely fantastic but equally if a player isn't showing the club the respect we think it deserves then we'll let them know. It's about time they took some responsibility for the situation we are in; when the inevitable happens and the manager goes there will be no hiding place for them.

Captain Trips
27-10-2019, 05:40 PM
There's a thread on here about the board having their heads in the sand, and I think anyone believing that fans have no impact on the players must also have their head in the sand.

Nah no head in sand just seeing how a hopeless manager manages a hopeless team. The fans biggest impact is turning up to but STs to give PH funds to build a team.

basehibby
27-10-2019, 05:41 PM

It's been apparent from early doors this season that Heckingbottom has not got what it takes and fans in growing numbers have started to voice their displeasure precisely because they DO care. The impact that they hope to have is hastening his departure from ER.

Baldy Foghorn
27-10-2019, 05:42 PM

Stop it....Everyone didn't panic....

Deansy
27-10-2019, 09:55 PM

A 'good old fashioned slide tackle' requires a mixture of drive, determination and courage - all 3 traits that none of the current squad possess !. I was spoilt as a youngster watching the 'Tornadoes' - John Blackley's slide-tackles were an art-form !

Nicho87
27-10-2019, 10:02 PM
He never seems to change it up radically. I thought Whittaker as a holding midfielder specially for home games may have been an option we lack real presence in their. Refused.

Tom James said he has played in midfield. Refused.

Stevenson could even be deployed in there. Refused.

He doesn’t have any other plans.

No formation changes during a game. Jackson coming on as a spare centre half with two minutes to go doesn’t count in my books.

Go now

Frankhfc
27-10-2019, 10:03 PM
A 'good old fashioned slide tackle' requires a mixture of drive, determination and courage - all 3 traits that none of the current squad possess !. I was spoilt as a youngster watching the 'Tornadoes' - John Blackley's slide-tackles were an art-form !

John Collins was another superb side tackler who'd take the ball cleanly then get up with the ball at his feet and start an attack.