PDA

View Full Version : Eight Games Without A Win

Keith_M
24-10-2019, 07:18 PM
Don't you all wish it was the good old days, when Turnbull's Tornadoes were slaughtering all before them? How about the famed 1972-73 season, when we beat Hearts 7-0 and won our first trophy in 19 years?

I'm sure those of you, like myself, that were too young to see them in person have heard all the stories of the virtually unbeatable Turnbull's Tornadoes from the more 'mature' members of our support. They would never have had such a pathetically long run without a single win.

Or would they.... :hmmm:

From 24th of March to 28th of April that season, Hibs played eight games (7 league matches and one CWC).... and didn't win a single one.

W-0, D-3, L-5, GF-2, GA-11

--------------------------------------------

They had their slump at the end of the season, but still finished third. Maybe this season we're doing the same in reverse, and just getting the slump over with early.... before going on an amazing run, finishing third, humping Hearts 7-0 and winning the League Cup

:wink:

ancient hibee
24-10-2019, 07:26 PM
As an oldie could I point out that much as I like Boyle and Gray the present dreadful run does not include the loss of a Brownlie or an Edwards.

Keith_M
24-10-2019, 07:31 PM
As an oldie could I point out that much as I like Boyle and Gray the present dreadful run does not include the loss of a Brownlie or an Edwards.

Come on, Boyle and Gray are much better players, surely.

After all, Brownlie and Edwards must be in their 70s by now :wink:

ancient hibee
24-10-2019, 07:42 PM
Come on, Boyle and Gray are much better players, surely.

After all, Brownlie and Edwards must be in their 70s by now :wink:

That reminds me of Lawrie Reilly when asked if he thought the Golden Generation would see off the Famous Five.

"They'd certainly give us a good game.Mind you three of us are in our seventies and two are deid".

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 08:23 PM
In fairness that run of results came after one of the most catastrophic results in our recent history

Defeated 0-3 5-4 on aggregate by Hadjuk Split in the quarter final of the ECWC a trophy we had high hopes of winning once we had disposed of AC Milan and Leeds Utd nae bother

It was the beginning of the end for Turnbulls Tornadoes our title challenge fizzled out due to injuries and suspensions and a 0-1 defeat at Ibrox immediately after Yugoslavia in which John Blackley was sent off in an ill tempered match signalled the end of our season

The season was almost finished anyway but we lost at Ibrox drew at Arbroath lost at Falkirk lost and drew with Motherwell drew with Ayr and lost to Celtic

For what it is worth I feel sorry for the youngsters nowadays that did not see the Tornadoes fantastic fitba loads of goals two trophies in that season 7-0 wins over Hearts 8-1 versus Ayr Utd two great strikers Wee Jimmy scored six hatricks Alan Gordon was selected for the Rest of the World versus England at Wembley as he just missed out on the Golden Boot to none other than Gerd Muller Der Bomber

What have we got to look forward to nowadays?

Heckys team........Oh dear!

Barman Stanton
24-10-2019, 08:33 PM
In fairness that run of results came after one of the most catastrophic results in our recent history

Defeated 0-3 5-4 on aggregate by Hadjuk Split in the quarter final of the ECWC a trophy we had high hopes of winning once we had disposed of AC Milan and Leeds Utd nae bother

It was the beginning of the end for Turnbulls Tornadoes our title challenge fizzled out due to injuries and suspensions and a 0-1 defeat at Ibrox immediately after Yugoslavia in which John Blackley was sent off in an ill tempered match signalled the end of our season

The season was almost finished anyway but we lost at Ibrox drew at Arbroath lost at Falkirk lost and drew with Motherwell drew with Ayr and lost to Celtic

For what it is worth I feel sorry for the youngsters nowadays that did not see the Tornadoes fantastic fitba loads of goals two trophies in that season 7-0 wins over Hearts 8-1 versus Ayr Utd two great strikers Wee Jimmy scored six hatricks Alan Gordon was selected for the Rest of the World versus England at Wembley as he just missed out on the Golden Boot

Ach the youngsters have done no bad. Seen us win the Scottish Cup and we have played some great fitba last few years. We just happen to be crap now so it seems ages ago. Always seems to happen. Even Eddie Turnbull got us relegated eventually!?

Inconsequential
24-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Some of the details in your post aren't right Billy. I don't think Hibs have ever played AC Milan but certainly not that season. Hibs trashed Sporting and the Leeds game was the following season which Hibs lost albeit on pens.

Barman Stanton
24-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Some of the details in your post aren't right Billy. I don't think Hibs have ever played AC Milan but certainly not that season. Hibs trashed Sporting and the Leeds game was the following season which Hibs lost.

Think he means if we beat Split then that’s who we would need to play to win the Cup.

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 08:42 PM
Some of the details in your post aren't right Billy. I don't think Hibs have ever played AC Milan but certainly not that season. Hibs trashed Sporting and the Leeds game was the following season which Hibs lost.
Please reread my post they were the teams lying in wait for us had we beat Hadjuk Split and went on to the semis and reached the final

As I said nae bother! :greengrin

Inconsequential
24-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Right with you now! I was multi - tasking watching fitba and operating a laptop. Need to pay more attention! :agree:

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 08:58 PM
Right with you now! I was multi - tasking watching fitba and operating a laptop. Need to pay more attention! :agree:
Ha Ha!

You should try doing all that whilst typing up a post about something that happened almost 50 years ago and trying to make sense of it and put it down in an admittedly not too easy to read fashion

:greengrin

Weegreenman
24-10-2019, 09:19 PM
As a supporter I’ve always had my favourite players. John Collins, Latapy and such like.

There is nobody in this squad that excites me. I’d rather we played our youth players than some of the absolute average gash players that somehow hold down a starting place.
The season is write off for me and we’ll be lucky not to be relegated at this rate, sad times!

snedzuk
24-10-2019, 09:29 PM

For what it is worth I feel sorry for the youngsters nowadays that did not see the Tornadoes fantastic fitba loads of goals two trophies in that season 7-0 wins over Hearts 8-1 versus Ayr Utd two great strikers Wee Jimmy scored six hatricks Alan Gordon was selected for the Rest of the World versus England at Wembley as he just missed out on the Golden Boot to none other than Gerd Muller Der Bomber

Thats the Tommy McLean offside goal and Blackleys reputed 'Ill stick that orange flag up your orange arse' comment!

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 09:32 PM
Thats the Tommy McLean offside goal and Blackleys reputed 'Ill stick that orange flag up your orange arse' comment!

Spot on!

JimBHibees
24-10-2019, 09:52 PM
As a supporter I’ve always had my favourite players. John Collins, Latapy and such like.

There is nobody in this squad that excites me. I’d rather we played our youth players than some of the absolute average gash players that somehow hold down a starting place.
The season is write off for me and we’ll be lucky not to be relegated at this rate, sad times!

Scott Allan is an exciting player

JimBHibees
24-10-2019, 09:53 PM

Did Pat not also get sent off in that game?

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 10:07 PM
Did Pat not also get sent off in that game?

Nope!

The King was only sent off twice against St Johnstone and Dunfermline

Wee Tommy was miles offside standing chatting leaning against Jim McArthurs goal post whilst smoking a cigar with his carpet slippers on

Big Tony Higgins hit the bar in the dying minutes

JimBHibees
25-10-2019, 06:06 AM
Nope!

Wee Tommy was miles offside standing chatting leaning against Jim McArthurs goal post whilst smoking a cigar with his carpet slippers on

Had always thought Pat and Sloop got sent off in that game. Yes remember seeing the goal on tv miles offside and a typical get out of jail goal at Ibrox. Assume the ref would be Bobby Davidson.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-10-2019, 06:20 AM
Interesting piece on how to be brilliant every day - talks about Sergio Garcia’s choking at the US PGA.

https://youtu.be/q06YIWCR2Js

Forza Fred
25-10-2019, 06:43 AM
Nope!

I was at Muirton Park to see Pat get sent off against St Johnstone, but cannae mind him getting sent off against the Pars.

He did get sent off once, I am aware, when he moved to Celtic.

He got sent off playing in a tournament in Australia.

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2019, 06:52 AM
I was at Muirton Park to see Pat get sent off against St Johnstone, but cannae mind him getting sent off against the Pars.

He did get sent off once, I am aware, when he moved to Celtic.

He got sent off playing in a tournament in Australia.

16/8/1975

Old League Cup Section

Hibs 3 v 0 Dunfermline

Harper 2 Duncan

Source:

Fitbastats.com

GGTTH

Forza Fred
25-10-2019, 06:56 AM
16/8/1975

Old League Cup Section

Hibs 3 v 0 Dunfermline

Harper 2 Duncan

Source:

Fitbastats.com

GGTTH

Yep, Didnae doubt you, just couldn’t remember it

Good reason I couldn’t remember it as it turns out.

I had left for Australia the previous August.

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2019, 06:58 AM
Yep, Didnae doubt you, just couldn’t remember it

Good reason I couldn’t remember it as it turns out.

I had left for Australia the previous August.

:thumbsup:

Pagan Hibernia
25-10-2019, 11:32 AM
That team rattled in over a hundred goals before Christmas that season... incredible

Diclonius
25-10-2019, 11:34 AM
Didn't Turnbull basically just chuck it in after the loss to Split?

Keith_M
25-10-2019, 12:44 PM
I knew our oldies...sorry, senior members ;).... would appear to regale us with their fond memories

:greengrin

Tom Hart RIP
25-10-2019, 01:06 PM
Didn't Turnbull basically just chuck it in after the loss to Split?

I think ET said he lost faith in the team after Split so he decided to change things but years later admitted he’d been too hasty. He still had ambitions and subsequently broke the Scottish transfer record by signing Joe Harper. Unfortunately Alex Cropley was sold although he brought in Ally McLeodthe same day.

1van Sprou7e
26-10-2019, 09:59 AM
We have had a late season slump almost every single year in our modern history

Only recent exception in the top flight was under Lennon

If this is our early season form I gate to think what it will be like come march

Keith_M
26-10-2019, 05:01 PM
I think I need to change the thread title...

Dolce7
26-10-2019, 07:17 PM

no point getting misty eyed about a team 46 years ago days like that are
never going to come back football was different then we have to concentrate on the present time

BILLYHIBS
26-10-2019, 07:31 PM
never going to come back football was different then we have to concentrate on the present time

Only responding to the OP which was the type of response he said he was looking for

I knew he was at the wynd up but I thought I would indulge him

After all that is what forums are for

Getting recollections from old supporters like me before they fade away

Anyway back to the present day another week without a win

What are WE gonna do about it ?

I have my tickets for Livvy and the semi

Never say never

That is what supporting HIBS is all about

:scarf::scarf:

Dolce7
26-10-2019, 07:32 PM

BILLYHIBS
26-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Only responding to the OP which was the type of response he said he was looking for

I knew he was at the wynd up but I thought I would indulge him

After all that is what forums are for

Getting recollections from old supporters like me before they fade away

Anyway back to the present day another week without a win

What are WE gonna do about it ?

I have my tickets for Livvy and the semi

Never say never

That is what supporting HIBS is all about

Never say never

:scarf::scarf:

This

BILLYHIBS
26-10-2019, 07:38 PM
ltyf