PDA

View Full Version : Vitoria Guimaraes

Iggy Pope
24-10-2019, 07:01 PM
See they’re at Arsenal tonight. One of those not much talked about ties of ours. Just before my time, it was to be another year before I was exposed to the wonders and thrill of Wednesday night lights.
Any of a certain vintage have any recollections of the events when we mastered these Portuguese?

madsen5
24-10-2019, 07:31 PM
See they’re at Arsenal tonight. One of those not much talked about ties of ours. Just before my time, it was to be another year before I was exposed to the wonders and thrill of Wednesday night lights.
Any of a certain vintage have any recollections of the events when we mastered these Portuguese?

Was at the game can't remember much about it now.

Feed McGraw
24-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Was at the game can't remember much about it now. Ha, me too. There`s loads of games I was at that I can`t remember much about now. Think we won 3-0 or 3-1 ?

ancient hibee
24-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Nor me.Only that Liverpool were next up.

Feed McGraw
24-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Nor me.Only that Liverpool were next up. Yeah, Liverpool first time around. I sometimes forget we drew them twice in Europe and Leeds twice too !

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 07:42 PM
Was at the game can’t remember much about it

The old high terracing on quite a nice night October 1970

Attendance 11500

I remember their white strips and how they did not like a challenge

Baines Shevlane and Schaedler Brownlie Black and Stanton Davidson Blackley McBride Graham and Duncan Used Subs Cropley and Billy McEwan

2-0 victory goals from King Paddy and Arthur

ancient hibee
24-10-2019, 07:45 PM
Yeah, Liverpool first time around. I sometimes forget we drew them twice in Europe and Leeds twice too !

Liverpool became the first team to win a Euro match at ER for about 10 years.

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 07:47 PM
Liverpool became the first team to win a Euro match at ER for about 10 years.

Got our revenge when Fat Joe got them in the pissing rain

They don’t like it up em!

Are you watching Scouse? 😁

Ray_
24-10-2019, 07:49 PM

I remember the Saturday after our 2-1 defeat in relatively tropical Portugal, we played at Greenock and it was pouring down, in the 33rd minute with the score 0-0 the referee abandoned the game and it was played later in the season where we were beaten 2-1.

Feed McGraw
24-10-2019, 07:54 PM

Attendance 11500

Baines Shevlane and Schaedler Brownlie Black and Stanton Davidson Blackley McBride Graham and Duncan Used Subs Cropley and Billy McEwan

2-0 victory goals from King Paddy and Arthur Surprised that Shevlane AND Brownlie were playing, probably means Brownlie was playing right half ? Just noticed Blackley playing too ! Can`t quite get my head around the line up, Blackley sweeper ?

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 08:02 PM
Surprised that Shevlane AND Brownlie were playing, probably means Brownlie was playing right half ? Just noticed Blackley playing too ! Can`t quite get my head around the line up, Blackley sweeper ?
Yeah! I thought it weird myself perhaps Blackley was employed in midfield in his younger days might explain the large number of opposition players that did not like physical attention

Source: fitbastats

Feed McGraw
24-10-2019, 08:10 PM
Yeah! I thought it weird myself perhaps Blackley was employed in midfield in his younger days might explain the large number of opposition players that did not like physical attention

Source: fitbastats The King could`ve been sweeper Billy, but you would think he would be playing midfield. Great memories, although a bit vague :greengrin. October 1970 you say - I was Fourteen and a half ! :greengrin

hibby6270
24-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Pretty sure I was at that game. It was around then I was ‘allowed’ to go to evening games ‘on my own’ with mates. TBH don’t recall it as a thrilling game. Just another routine European home victory - as was the norm back then. :greengrin :wink:

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 08:29 PM
The King could`ve been sweeper Billy, but you would think he would be playing midfield. Great memories, although a bit vague :greengrin. October 1970 you say - I was Fourteen and a half ! :greengrin

I was 12

I remember I used to sit on a Number 1 bus all the way from Gorgie on my own to watch the Hibees

Jonnyboy
24-10-2019, 08:42 PM

From my book

Home game

On a cool October evening Hibs managed a decent 2-0 win against stuffy opposition thanks to goals from Duncan and right at the final whistle, Pat Stanton. On from the start that night was Kenny Davidson and he certainly gave full back Jorge a difficult night and did not look overawed in any way at playing on such a stage.

Away game

The Fairs Cup return leg in Guimaraes saw Hibs going down 2-1 on the day but progressing on aggregate by 3-2. In fact although Hibs had gone two behind in Portugal they dominated the rest of the game and Johnny Graham’s goal could easily have been added to.

I remember the home game well. They were a decent outfit.

Iggy Pope
24-10-2019, 08:47 PM
From my book

Home game

On a cool October evening Hibs managed a decent 2-0 win against stuffy opposition thanks to goals from Duncan and right at the final whistle, Pat Stanton. On from the start that night was Kenny Davidson and he certainly gave full back Jorge a difficult night and did not look overawed in any way at playing on such a stage.

Away game

The Fairs Cup return leg in Guimaraes saw Hibs going down 2-1 on the day but progressing on aggregate by 3-2. In fact although Hibs had gone two behind in Portugal they dominated the rest of the game and Johnny Graham’s goal could easily have been added to.

I remember the home game well. They were a decent outfit.

Look pretty stuffy tonight also.
God bless these days Johnny. Sanctified.

HibbyAndy
24-10-2019, 08:52 PM
Go on the Arsenal !!

Iggy Pope
24-10-2019, 09:11 PM
Great response to this love talking about actual Hibs.

Iggy Pope
24-10-2019, 09:14 PM
I remember the Saturday after our 2-1 defeat in relatively tropical Portugal, we played at Greenock and it was pouring down, in the 33rd minute with the score 0-0 the referee abandoned the game and it was played later in the season where we were beaten 2-1.

You’re the fellah I was hoping would reply....

hibby6270
24-10-2019, 09:14 PM
I was 12

I remember I used to sit on a Number 1 bus all the way from Gorgie on my own to watch the Hibees

Ha!! I’d have been 12 then as well but just a short walk from Craigentinny for me.:greengrin

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 09:15 PM
Great response to this love talking about actual Hibs.

You should read Keekaboos eight games without a win thread in that case 😁

Iggy Pope
24-10-2019, 09:18 PM
You should read Keekaboos eight games without a win thread in that case 😁

Naw.

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 09:19 PM
Naw.

👍🏾

snedzuk
24-10-2019, 09:23 PM
Got our revenge when Fat Joe got them in the pissing rain

They don’t like it up em!

Are you watching Scouse? 😁

I was at the Vittoria game and the Liverpool one - my takeways from the Liverpool one were - Brownlie missing a penalty (unless my memory is fading) and Kevin Keegan coming over to take a corner us singing 'Keegan wants his mammy' (look it up) and him giving us the '5-1' fingers following the Stewart Kennedy England / Scotland game.

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 09:31 PM
I was at the Vittoria game and the Liverpool one - my takeways from the Liverpool one were - Brownlie missing a penalty (unless my memory is fading) and Kevin Keegan coming over to take a corner us singing 'Keegan wants his mammy' (look it up) and him giving us the '5-1' fingers following the Stewart Kennedy England / Scotland game.

Remember it well he left an England training camp to be with his Mammy

Also remember the rain it never stopped watched the game in the old North Enclosure downhill end old main stand

snedzuk
24-10-2019, 09:32 PM
Remember it well he left an England training camp to be with his Mammy

Also remember the rain it never stopped watched the game in the old North Enclosure downhill end old main stand

I was diagonally opposite at the corner flag / Dunbar end - soaked (but not as bad as Cowdenbeath a couple of seasons ago)

hibby6270
24-10-2019, 09:45 PM

You’re right about both recollections from a Liverpool game but they were from the 1975 game, not the 1970 one. The 5-1 at Wembley was in the May before the European game in September.

ancient hibee
24-10-2019, 09:45 PM
Surprised that Shevlane AND Brownlie were playing, probably means Brownlie was playing right half ? Just noticed Blackley playing too ! Can`t quite get my head around the line up, Blackley sweeper ?

Shevlane might have been playing left back.

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 10:10 PM
Shevlane might have been playing left back.

Shades would always be left back!

ancient hibee
24-10-2019, 10:11 PM
Even he picked up the odd injury!

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 10:16 PM
Even he picked up the odd injury!

Naw he was a man of iron

He is listed as being in the team at left back

Shevlane at right back

There is certainly a lot of license taken in the positions of Brownlie Blackley and Stanton in this formation

It is difficult to say almost 50 years later who played where all we know from the stats with any certainty is who actually started

Looking at the previous fixtures at that time the right back berth was always between Mervyn Jones and Chris Shevlane so it is safe to assume that a young John Brownlie was being tried in different positions and was still to make the right back spot his own

John Brownlie had actually played a good few games that season at right back from the start of the season but in the games leading up to the game he was more often than not right half

There were five changes for the Guimaraes game from the previous fixture

Cataplana
25-10-2019, 09:11 AM

Attendance 11500

Interesting team, nearly all the Tornadoes in place, except Ned wasn't to arrive until next summer.

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Interesting team, nearly all the Tornadoes in place, except Ned wasn't to arrive until next summer.

As others have said interesting formation:

As per the old programmes :greengrin

Baines

Shevlane. Schaedler

Brownlie Black. Blackley

Davidson. Stanton McBride. Graham. Duncan

FilipinoHibs
25-10-2019, 11:06 AM

How far things have changed. VC from the beautiful northern town of Guimaraes. A small world heritage town near my god mothers home. They can compete with Arsenal and have a 30,000 capacity stadium. Our game has fallen behind so much.

surreyhibbie
25-10-2019, 11:07 AM
You’re right about both recollections from a Liverpool game but they were from the 1975 game, not the 1970 one. The 5-1 at Wembley was in the May before the European game in September.

Phew! thanks for that, was getting confused

was at both Liverpool games and probably the Guimares one but don't really remember...so many European nights back then. Will check my program collection and see if I have one.

Always got a program in those days.

Iggy Pope
25-10-2019, 11:29 AM
How far things have changed. VC from the beautiful northern town of Guimaraes. A small world heritage town near my hod mothers home. They can compete with Arsenal and have a 30,000 capacity stadium. Our game has fallen behind so much.

Not sure about all of that one. Hibernian were born in the throng of a UNESCO World Heritage site!

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2019, 11:35 AM
Phew! thanks for that, was getting confused

was at both Liverpool games and probably the Guimares one but don't really remember...so many European nights back then. Will check my program collection and see if I have one.

Always got a program in those days.
Quite sure the Match Programme front cover featured a picture of the Guimaraes team lining up before a match in Portugal in black and white that looked as though it had been taken in the 1940s

IberianHibernian
25-10-2019, 09:23 PM
Was my first European match . Remember result and that Kenny Davidson played ( was it his competitive debut ? ) . In those days we seemed to qualify for Europe every 2 years at least so that season we played 3 rounds ( Malmo , Guimaraes and Liverpool ) , got to LC QF and SC semi but finished about 12th in 18 - club top division . A strange season with bad league position but many memorable matches ( beating Aberdeen on Joe Baker`s return , cup win at Tynecastle , etc ) . The following season without European distraction we did well in league and SC .

Feed McGraw
25-10-2019, 09:35 PM
Pretty sure I was at that game. It was around then I was ‘allowed’ to go to evening games ‘on my own’ with mates. TBH don’t recall it as a thrilling game. Just another routine European home victory - as was the norm back then. :greengrin :wink: I smiled to read about the fact that you were "allowed" to go to your first game with just your mates. I can hear my Dad saying to me that I was "allowed" to go for the first time without him, to the Dunfermline Scottish cup semi in 1965 as long as " so and so" was going ( a guy from the street who was 12, I had just turned 9). A wee group of us went along to Tynie and were devastated when we lost 2-0 ( little did we know the years of heartbreak that lay ahead until that glorious day) There is footage of that semi on youtube which looks like it`s from the 1930`s not the 1960`s :greengrin. Sorry for changing the thread a bit but has anyone else got "first match with your mates or on your own stories" ? Don`t know if you`re meant to start another thread or if this is ok ? :greengrin

hibby6270
25-10-2019, 09:44 PM
I smiled to read about the fact that you were "allowed" to go to your first game with just your mates. I can hear my Dad saying to me that I was "allowed" to go for the first time without him, to the Dunfermline Scottish cup semi in 1965 as long as " so and so" was going ( a guy from the street who was 12, I had just turned 9). A wee group of us went along to Tynie and were devastated when we lost 2-0 ( little did we know the years of heartbreak that lay ahead until that glorious day) There is footage of that semi on youtube which looks like it`s from the 1930`s not the 1960`s :greengrin. Sorry for changing the thread a bit but has anyone else got "first match with your mates or on your own stories" ? Don`t know if you`re meant to start another thread or if this is ok ? :greengrin

LOL. I should emphasise it was my first night game ‘on my own’ with mates. :greengrin
I was a ‘veteran’ at going to 3pm Saturday kick offs without adult chaperoning!! :wink:

Feed McGraw
25-10-2019, 09:55 PM
LOL. I should emphasise it was my first night game ‘on my own’ with mates. :greengrin
I was a ‘veteran’ at going to 3pm Saturday kick offs without adult chaperoning!! :wink: Ha, I can`t remember my first night "allowed" game but it may have been a European one, it`s just that match sticks in my mind as my first "unchaperoned" one and that was me off and running at 9 y.o. Bit bevvied the night but love these "old boys" threads. :greengrin

FilipinoHibs
25-10-2019, 11:15 PM
Ha, I can`t remember my first night "allowed" game but it may have been a European one, it`s just that match sticks in my mind as my first "unchaperoned" one and that was me off and running at 9 y.o. Bit bevvied the night but love these "old boys" threads. :greengrin

In early 1970s on a Saturday used to get the bus from Hawick in my early teens and come back with the Pink News to sell round the pubs. My mother thought I was at friends.

madsen5
26-10-2019, 05:31 PM

Attendance 11500

Cheers for that , we took European games
for granted then, changed days indeed