PDA

View Full Version : Why did Ron Gordon buy Hibs?

gerry70
23-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Any ideas?

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2019, 06:06 PM
Still waiting impatiently to find out. 😶

madsen5
23-10-2019, 06:07 PM
Still waiting impatiently to find out. 😶

Excellent question does anyone know the
answer?

Sammy7nil
23-10-2019, 06:11 PM
Any ideas?

Because he wanted to and he could :confused:

Hibbyradge
23-10-2019, 06:15 PM
Any ideas?

Because Roman Roy bought "the Hearts"?

04Sauzee
23-10-2019, 06:17 PM
What sort of answers are you expecting?

BILLYHIBS
23-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Because his welsh basketball playing son in law always wanted to be a professional soccer player 😁

Alfred E Newman
23-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Because he's not the full shilling. :como

The 90+2
23-10-2019, 06:50 PM
Because Dundee Utd said no?

Eyrie
23-10-2019, 06:55 PM
Because Heckingbottom is blackmailing him.

MWHIBBIES
23-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Well, it wasn't so he could ***** all his money in the first transfer window and take us down the Vlad route. Despite what people expect that isn't the proper way to run a football club. He is correct to take a slow approach, evalute the situation fully.

bingo70
23-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Well, it wasn't so he could ***** all his money in the first transfer window and take us down the Vlad route. Despite what people expect that isn't the proper way to run a football club. He is correct to take a slow approach, evalute the situation fully.

I don’t think there’s any doubt about that.

You can surely still speak to the punters during the period of assessing what’s going on though?

MWHIBBIES
23-10-2019, 07:03 PM
I don’t think there’s any doubt about that.

You can surely still speak to the punters during the period of assessing what’s going on though?

Why should he speak to the punters? So they get the validation they desperately crave?

Actions speak much louder than words. Rather he focused on implimenting his plan.

The 90+2
23-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Would he have been better taking the slow, evaluating position before spending quite a considerable amount of money purchasing the club?

He must know the reason for buying it and what his plans are and what the club is like financially. He wouldn’t have just bought it and though **** sake I’m going to have to check everything here top to bottom.

The 90+2
23-10-2019, 07:05 PM
Why should he speak to the punters? So they get the validation they desperately crave?

Actions speak much louder than words. Rather he focused on implimenting his plan.

Why shouldn’t he speak to the support of the football club he’s purchased? Without the support then there’s no football club.

MWHIBBIES
23-10-2019, 07:06 PM
Why shouldn’t he speak to the support of the football club he’s purchased? Without the support then there’s no football club.

Yes. That is true. He should speak to the support when he has something to say, not because the support complained online.

JXM73
23-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Property development

The 90+2
23-10-2019, 07:08 PM
Yes. That is true. He should speak to the support when he has something to say, not because the support complained online.

He’s a man of few words is Ron. He only bought the club for no apparent reason five months ago after all.

Keith_M
23-10-2019, 07:08 PM
To get to the other side?

:dunno:

Deansy
23-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Property development

My biggest fear !

scooby
23-10-2019, 07:12 PM
I do think it's very strange that he hasn't had anything to say about what he wants to do with his "franchise" since the takeover. I didn't think it would be possible for the new owner to be less visible than STF but as the great man would say "there ye are".
I don't know anything about him, but my worry is that the silence gives the impression that he is far less passionate about Hibs than STF who always had our back.

Heisenberg
23-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Property development

He certainly doesn’t have a track record of taking over companies to destroy them so I wouldn’t worry about that.

23-10-2019, 07:36 PM
Property development

You'd think the council wouldn't grant permission knowing the uproar there would be from Hibs fans but supposedly many councillors are Jambos so who knows what they'd do. If I was a councillor, I wouldn't dare approve any proposal knowing the probable repercussions, even more so if I was a Jambo.

Golden Bear
23-10-2019, 07:42 PM
I've asked myself the same question then came to the conclusion that both STF and RP would not have sanctioned the purchase of the Club unless they were 100% certain that the future of Hibernian FC was secure and in a safe pair of hands.

J-C
23-10-2019, 07:47 PM
I remember him saying he wanted to be the best of the rest, acknowledging Celtic and Rangers extra cash they generate but surely he must realise that 2nd bottom is far from being the best of the rest, it needs sorting asap.

basehibby
23-10-2019, 07:53 PM
He's on record as saying he's got a passion for football and he has Scottish roots - and he also has about $80 million cash knocking about - so there on the face of it is your answer. $80 million is NOT an enormous amount in the world of football of course and RG will be well aware I'd imagine that he could quite easily ***** the whole lot in one season and leave himself - and Hibs - in a potentially ruinous position.

I don't imagine that's part of his plan. I would imagine the plan is more to spend judiciously at the right points in time in order to advance the position of his club over a period of several years. He has a track record in media/communications in the US - so might he want to somehow leverage that to the benefit of Hibs? I can't imagine how but he would know better than I if it was possible.

He HAS been very distant so far and I don't exactly see that as a positive either, but I would imagine RG would want to become more involved as time goes on. Right now I reckon he'll be keeping an interested eye on events to evaluate the qualities of those currently running the show on his behalf

The Modfather
23-10-2019, 07:54 PM

Don’t think anyone is looking for daily updates from him, but after 5 months I’d have hoped for more engagement with the support. I hope it won’t be like large spells under the old regime when we only heard from them when they wanted our money.

Craig_in_Prague
23-10-2019, 07:54 PM
Did we used to shout for Farmer to sack managers?

The 90+2
23-10-2019, 07:57 PM

Farmer wasn’t interested in running a football club. That’s why Petrie was there from the start.

The Modfather
23-10-2019, 07:57 PM

No, but there were times questioning his hands off approach as we spiralled ever downward.

madhatter
23-10-2019, 08:01 PM
A laugh.

we are hibs
23-10-2019, 08:05 PM

Farmer didnt give the impression he was going to be hands on tbf. When Gordon came he and Dempster said in the press conference that they were looking forward to sharing the big plans they had in the coming weeks and months. So far we havent heard anything about these plans other than wanting to be "best of the rest".

If we werent sitting 11th in the league it wouldnt be as much of an issue but the club really are playing Russian Roulette in terms of keeping the support they managed to bring back in the last 3 years with the ongoing silence and continuing to back a failing manager. I dont know about anyone else but i prefer sitting in a stadium with 14/15k hibs fans in it than sitting in one with 8k hibs fans and empty seats everywhere; regardless if you want to call these extra 5/6k fans as "gloryhunters" who only turn up when we are doing well.

Andy74
23-10-2019, 08:18 PM

He’s also exec chairman though. Petrie certainly got asked to do certain things from time to time!

Onion
23-10-2019, 08:47 PM
I've asked myself the same question then came to the conclusion that both STF and RP would not have sanctioned the purchase of the Club unless they were 100% certain that the future of Hibernian FC was secure and in a safe pair of hands.

As soon as the ink dried, anything said pre-sale became meaningless. Like everyone, all STF and RP can do now is watch on hoping that they've done the right thing and they weren't sold a story.

Speedway
23-10-2019, 09:28 PM
Any ideas?

Yeah, to asset strip it and sell it to Hearts, why?

His holding company is called ‘Mercer’s Revenge’

DarlingtonHibee
23-10-2019, 09:32 PM
As soon as the ink dried, anything said pre-sale became meaningless. Like everyone, all STF and RP can do now is watch on hoping that they've done the right thing and they weren't sold a story.

Ffs.....

Don't you think the club is protected by the deal.

STF and Rod will have made sure of that.

Deansy
23-10-2019, 09:38 PM
You'd think the council wouldn't grant permission knowing the uproar there would be from Hibs fans but supposedly many councillors are Jambos so who knows what they'd do. If I was a councillor, I wouldn't dare approve any proposal knowing the probable repercussions, even more so if I was a Jambo.

Sarcasm ?

https://www.scotsman.com/news-2-15012/sir-tom-s-fury-over-butterfly-land-wrangle-1-888787

ekhibee
23-10-2019, 10:20 PM

What action, he hasn't done anything yet.

FilipinoHibs
23-10-2019, 10:26 PM
The reason Hearts were not wound up. Made clear to the Lithuanians there would be no approval for property development on Tynecastle.

Stokesy's on fire
23-10-2019, 10:27 PM
What action, he hasn't done anything yet.

Well...he did wipe out the debt i'm pretty sure that counts as "something"

FilipinoHibs
23-10-2019, 10:28 PM
Ffs.....

Don't you think the club is protected by the deal.

STF and Rod will have made sure of that.

How can they protect club. They have no shareholding and Ron holds the majority of shares. He can do what he wants. Club sold on trust.

DarlingtonHibee
23-10-2019, 10:33 PM
How can they protect club. They have no shareholding and Ron holds the majority of shares. He can do what he wants. Club sold on trust.

Club not sold on trust, specific terms agreed.

jacomo
23-10-2019, 10:34 PM

Hmm, let me think on this a while...

I’ve thought about it and realised there is literally no reason for him to say a thing. The mood within the fan base is totally harmonious and we don’t have a history of ever demanding more info from the board.

So, all good. As you were.

SMAXXA
23-10-2019, 10:35 PM
I do think it's very strange that he hasn't had anything to say about what he wants to do with his "franchise" since the takeover. I didn't think it would be possible for the new owner to be less visible than STF but as the great man would say "there ye are".
I don't know anything about him, but my worry is that the silence gives the impression that he is far less passionate about Hibs than STF who always had our back.

I’ve seen him at more hibs games this season than I ever saw TF to be honest

Clarence
23-10-2019, 11:11 PM

By the time he has finished his evaluation, he will have to begin another evaluation of how he gets us back into the Premier League.

eastmainsmsh
23-10-2019, 11:43 PM
Coz he is a fan of the proclaimers

DetroitHibs
24-10-2019, 03:22 AM
Think he bought us to make money, not because he loves Hibernian FC.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-10-2019, 03:52 AM
There’s an old Gaelic proverb that’s even etched onto the Scottish parliament it reads

“Say little, but say it well”

Easy to say but not always easy to do.

In any case we often say :
“Talk is cheap”
“Talks a good story”
“Talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk”

Yet:
“Actions speak louder than words”.

whether Ron articulates a vision or not it’s the action and execution that matters.

Even Petrie (Reportedly) had a 5 year plan (dunno if that was ever shared with us?) but it would appear he quietly went about that perhaps it even culminated in selling the club.

It’s a funny old game.

I do wonder if club PR will get a shake up tho.

MagicSwirlingShip
24-10-2019, 04:21 AM
I absolutely do not get the hysteria over this.

How many times did STF come out and comment on the running of the club? Rarely, if never.

He has a Chief Executive in place, and it is their job to run the club.

Just because he didn't splash the cash in his first window at the club, doesn't mean he isn't interested.

Phil MaGlass
24-10-2019, 05:09 AM
By the time he has finished his evaluation, he will have to begin another evaluation of how he gets us back into the Premier League.

this

eastcoasthibby
24-10-2019, 06:06 AM
He is a businessman who it seems has built his businesses through strategy and opportunity, I doubt he puts it out there what his plans out there for competitors to see. Weare playing in pretty limited market place with a number of competitors , so holding your cards close to your chest and working to a strategy maybe makes sense all round. Remember he spoke about sustainability for the club you don't get that with quickfire spending !! I am confident that they are very much in control and aware of the impact of what's being achieved on the park is damaging just now, but also that if it's still the same over the next month they will act and have the January window to repair the damage to a fair degree with a new manager and players needed. But why spend 3 or 400 hundred grand sacking management and coaching team if they will sack themselves with not performing...not what we as fans want on the park and not saying I am right I just see a bigger picture with Ron and the club being in place !!

MWHIBBIES
24-10-2019, 06:06 AM
By the time he has finished his evaluation, he will have to begin another evaluation of how he gets us back into the Premier League.We won't go down so stop worrying.

Hmm, let me think on this a while...

I’ve thought about it and realised there is literally no reason for him to say a thing. The mood within the fan base is totally harmonious and we don’t have a history of ever demanding more info from the board.

So, all good. As you were.Can demand all you want, doesn't make a difference.

What action, he hasn't done anything yet.How do you know?

This is why I think fan ownership is a terrible idea. Ron could be negotiating new sponsorship deals right now that could make us millions. He could be making successful plans to take us forward into a consistentent 3rd force. He could be doing all sorts of positive things but a few bad results on the pitch and people are bloodthirsty, plans don't matter, sack the board (who have done amazing things for us), bin the team, stop going to games bla bla bla.

Emotions have no place in the boardroom. Everyone was absolutely delighted when he came in but as usual, expect immediate and significant impact without any perspective of real life.

Yorkshire HFC
24-10-2019, 06:10 AM
Any ideas?

He's hoping to make a lot of money, presumably.

LustForLeith
24-10-2019, 06:19 AM
I think he’s been reviewing things and he’ll be looking at opportunities to maximise the revenue at Hibs

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2019, 06:22 AM
We won't go down so stop worrying.

Can demand all you want, doesn't make a difference.

How do you know?

This is why I think fan ownership is a terrible idea. Ron could be negotiating new sponsorship deals right now that could make us millions. He could be making successful plans to take us forward into a consistentent 3rd force. He could be doing all sorts of positive things but a few bad results on the pitch and people are bloodthirsty, plans don't matter, sack the board (who have done amazing things for us), bin the team, stop going to games bla bla bla.

Emotions have no place in the boardroom. Everyone was absolutely delighted when he came in but as usual, expect immediate and significant impact without any perspective of real life.

:agree:

superfurryhibby
24-10-2019, 06:37 AM

How do you know?

Mostly in agreement with this, but I wonder how you see the significance of the substantial stakeholding of HSL and the combined small shareholders in all of that. Although the ( unfair) dilution of HSL’s stake as part of the sale diminished their percentage, there is still25-30% of the club in the hands of the two groups of fans.

I reckon wee Ron will have something to say soon enough, it would be madness if there was no strategy for the club and it’s future direction. As often said, the fans are the lifeblood of Hibs. Gash performance on the field will alienate us more than anything else the board does ( within reason of course).

MWHIBBIES
24-10-2019, 07:21 AM
Mostly in agreement with this, but I wonder how you see the significance of the substantial stakeholding of HSL and the combined small shareholders in all of that. Although the ( unfair) dilution of HSL’s stake as part of the sale diminished their percentage, there is still25-30% of the club in the hands of the two groups of fans.

I reckon wee Ron will have something to say soon enough, it would be madness if there was no strategy for the club and it’s future direction. As often said, the fans are the lifeblood of Hibs. Gash performance on the field will alienate us more than anything else the board does ( within reason of course).

Definitely think HSL is brilliant but only as a means of protecting the club,not running it.

blackpoolhibs
24-10-2019, 08:03 AM
Football really is different from any normal business that i can think of. All this bull**** on what might be happening behind the scenes are just speculation, we could just as likely be being asset stripped for any of us know, as we have been told nothing since Ron came in, apart from evaluating things and our aim of being best of the rest.

Now just as our manager has fed us a pile of pish, i really hope our new owner has better things planned, but we dont know because we are being told nothing, and from the outside it does look as if we are just drifting along rudderless.

Communication was a big part of the upturn in our club when Dempster took over, now we are hearing nothing at the most difficult of times, and i dont know why?

Our club is apparently never been healthier, yet something stinks at it? :confused:

bingo70
24-10-2019, 08:10 AM
Football really is different from any normal business that i can think of. All this bull**** on what might be happening behind the scenes are just speculation, we could just as likely be being asset stripped for any of us know, as we have been told nothing since Ron came in, apart from evaluating things and our aim of being best of the rest.

Now just as our manager has fed us a pile of pish, i really hope our new owner has better things planned, but we dont know because we are being told nothing, and from the outside it does look as if we are just drifting along rudderless.

Communication was a big part of the upturn in our club when Dempster took over, now we are hearing nothing at the most difficult of times, and i dont know why?

Our club is apparently never been healthier, yet something stinks at it? :confused:

And there’s people saying there’s no reason for people at the club to talk to it’s supporters.

There’s always reason to talk to the clubs supporters, even if there’s nothing significant to say communication is important.

If I only spoke to my clients at work when I wanted something from them I wouldn’t be doing my job very well. Speaking to people builds relationships and helps gain trust IMO. Saying nothing just fuels suspicion and ill feeling imo.

jacomo
24-10-2019, 08:17 AM

Well, the difference it is making is that a significant number of fans are disillusioned right now and don’t know what direction the club is heading.

You might not be bothered but surely you understand that many others are? This sense of drift really isn’t helpful. The way HSL has had to go it alone is ridiculous.

Club needs to unite behind a new plan but it ain’t happening.

Greenworld
24-10-2019, 08:19 AM
He is a businessman who it seems has built his businesses through strategy and opportunity, I doubt he puts it out there what his plans out there for competitors to see. Weare playing in pretty limited market place with a number of competitors , so holding your cards close to your chest and working to a strategy maybe makes sense all round. Remember he spoke about sustainability for the club you don't get that with quickfire spending !! I am confident that they are very much in control and aware of the impact of what's being achieved on the park is damaging just now, but also that if it's still the same over the next month they will act and have the January window to repair the damage to a fair degree with a new manager and players needed. But why spend 3 or 400 hundred grand sacking management and coaching team if they will sack themselves with not performing...not what we as fans want on the park and not saying I am right I just see a bigger picture with Ron and the club being in place !!He has undoubtedly been a clever guy in his markets .
Football is like no normal business though what is happening on the field of play shapes the opportunities business wise if the team are doing well,playing well crowds are up then a good business person will take advantage .
This is where LD failed massively for me from the Scottish cup win we had a chance to move on to a different dimension .
However I want to believe the guy has great plans for us but have yet to be convinced.
Hence why he needs to speak not to reveal all, if it is business sensitive, but to give the market place ( the fans) comfort that things are happening and if you could just be patient I will reveal our plans.

My guess is is the famous 5 will become a hotel with incredible match day experiences available.
There will be a new entrance between the west and the famous five for the hotel.
The gap between east and famous 5 will be developed and become the fans Base with themed bars on various levels open all week.
The food outlets will be serviced by McDonald's fast food specialists .

The team and management I have no idea and I bet he does not either and this is where so many business men fail when running clubs, for without that the rest won't work.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
24-10-2019, 08:20 AM
He's on record as saying he's got a passion for football and he has Scottish roots - and he also has about $80 million cash knocking about - so there on the face of it is your answer. $80 million is NOT an enormous amount in the world of football of course and RG will be well aware I'd imagine that he could quite easily ***** the whole lot in one season and leave himself - and Hibs - in a potentially ruinous position.

I don't imagine that's part of his plan. I would imagine the plan is more to spend judiciously at the right points in time in order to advance the position of his club over a period of several years. He has a track record in media/communications in the US - so might he want to somehow leverage that to the benefit of Hibs? I can't imagine how but he would know better than I if it was possible.

He HAS been very distant so far and I don't exactly see that as a positive either, but I would imagine RG would want to become more involved as time goes on. Right now I reckon he'll be keeping an interested eye on events to evaluate the qualities of those currently running the show on his behalf

This seems to have been missed. People talk about him as if he's a billionaire. He's really not and really doesn't have that much cash spare to give us. What he has done however, is increased our playing budget by £500,000 every year by paying off STF, which should give us a boost for the next few years.

The second point - I think he's attended most of the home and away games and he was cutting about in behind the goals not that long ago. I don't see that as distant tbh.

Clarence
24-10-2019, 08:21 AM
And there’s people saying there’s no reason for people at the club to talk to it’s supporters.

There’s always reason to talk to the clubs supporters, even if there’s nothing significant to say communication is important.

If I only spoke to my clients at work when I wanted something from them I wouldn’t be doing my job very well. Speaking to people builds relationships and helps gain trust IMO. Saying nothing just fuels suspicion and ill feeling imo.

It would be nice to get his reflections on his first 100 days in seat and then his ongoing views through quarterly Town Hall meetings - how about that for some US corporate BS!

CRAZYHIBBY
24-10-2019, 09:11 AM
Elements of the hibs support repeatedly called for petrie and farmer to go....then ron came along and farmer thought you want rid of us that badly you got it.... there ye are........beds are made

Jones28
24-10-2019, 09:17 AM
Think he bought us to make money, not because he loves Hibernian FC.

Nobody buys a football club to make money.

FilipinoHibs
24-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Good point about what RON is worth and likely intentions. Most millionaires/billionaires would put up about 10% of their fortune and be prepared to loose it. That is roughly what he has done. If you have 300 billion and loose 30 billion you are not that bothered. Loose 8 million when you have 80 million is another case. This probably means he will keep a close eye on the financial and football running of the club. Think he is coming to end of his career and wants something to keep himself interested. Loves football and had Scottish ancestry so Hibs ideal. But being schooled in US business means he will be running things properly and be looking at our business top to bottom. The AGM is where I think he will outline that vision.

MrSmith
24-10-2019, 09:39 AM

We are in a right state of flux at the moment, fan base starting to fall and looking like relegation candidates. Surely some form of communication is required in order for the 'customers' to have faith in his vision for us?

lucky
24-10-2019, 09:40 AM
RG attitude towards Hibs seems to similar to STF, he’s a hands off type but that does not mean he won’t be aware of what’s going on at the club. As many have pointed out he’s a millionaire but is reportedly worth £60 million. If he’s spent £6m on getting the club I can’t see him spending his many millions more of his hard earn cash. He said at the start that his vision is Hibs produced the best young players in Scotland. He is also looking to improve our revenue from business and sponsorship.
He pays LD and the senior team to run the club and report back to the board and him.

Do people really want him interfering in club in that that Vladimir did? I content at this time that he’s taking his time and evaluating everything

Torto7
24-10-2019, 09:40 AM
The 80 million was from one of his companies being sold. He has other business interests as well. None of you know what he's worth. So lets not pretend we do to try and create another angle to attack the man.

Whilst I would like to hear more on the clubs plans there's nothing RG has done so far that looks suspicious. Some folk just like wallowing in misery. The comments I've read about him on here and social media/the bounce comes across as extremely anti-American and downright embarrassing. Raise the pitchforks when it's actually worthwhile. Our start to the season is on PH and the players not RG.

MrSmith
24-10-2019, 09:46 AM
The 80 million was from one of his companies being sold. He has other business interests as well. None of you know what he's worth. So lets not pretend we do to try and create another angle to attack the man.

Whilst I would like to hear more on the clubs plans there's nothing RG has done so far that looks suspicious. Some folk just like wallowing in misery. The comments I've read about him on here and social media/the bounce comes across as extremely anti-American and downright embarrassing. Raise the pitchforks when it's actually worthwhile. Our start to the season is on PH and the players not RG.

I have no idea what he is worth nor would I attack him. As you will be aware, communication and transparency is key in ensuring good business relations - still waiting for this to happen. However and at this point, I see nothing sinister about him.

Barman Stanton
24-10-2019, 09:54 AM

Why should our new owner speak to his customers? I don't understand your outlook at all here. Communication is important in any business.

We are currently sitting 2nd bottom and struggling. You have season tickers holders not bothering to go to games. Crowds are going to drop, football fans are fickle. The lack of any communication during this time is not helping.

And you mention the plan. What is the plan? As at the moment we seem to be going backwards fast. This is why communication is important.

basehibby
24-10-2019, 10:05 AM
This seems to have been missed. People talk about him as if he's a billionaire. He's really not and really doesn't have that much cash spare to give us. What he has done however, is increased our playing budget by £500,000 every year by paying off STF, which should give us a boost for the next few years.

The second point - I think he's attended most of the home and away games and he was cutting about in behind the goals not that long ago. I don't see that as distant tbh.

GOOD - I wasn't aware of that and it demonstrates a decent level of interest and enthusiasm - particularly for someone based in the US.

NAE NOOKIE
24-10-2019, 11:33 AM

How do you know?

Think thats stretching it a wee bit mate. We all knew STF had to find a way to offload the club eventually and the longer it took him to do that the more urgent it became, with it being no secret that his health hadnt been the best over the last few years and little evidence that his family wanted to run the club going forward.

In view of that and given that according to STF he had always been looking for a new owner from practically day one but could never find the right guy, the concern would have to be that he was at the stage of taking the least worst, possibly the only, offer. Given that we all know that scenario its not unreasonable IMO to be looking for Ron Gordon to do far more to keep us in the loop, especially given that communication and paying attention to audience reaction is absolutely central to the way he has made his money.

If one of his TV stations / production companies had started off with a show attracting 10 million viewers every week and 6 months down the line it was attracting 7 million viewers with no sign of things getting better I doubt he would have sat on his hands and at the moment thats exactly what he has with Hibs. Part of addressing problems like that in the world of television is understanding your audience and if Ron Gordon thinks lack of communication with the fans and failing to at least offer reassurance to them in one form or another will float in the world of professional football then he is committing what would surely be a cardinal sin in the world he knows best ... IE failure to understand your audience.

At the moment what we are seeing is a downward spiral with results on the park poor and dwindling crowds ... what will it be on Saturday? actual bums on seats could be as low as 12,000 IMO and thats a hell of a dip from an average that was in excess of 18,000 only a season back. The least we as fans are entitled to is for the club to signal their awareness that the fans arent happy and to assure us that they are working behind the scenes to improve the situation.

Not an answer to the thread question I admit, but its what I think Ron Gordon should be doing at this point and if he isnt why not?

BlackSheep
24-10-2019, 11:51 AM
In the past few months there has been quite a bot of movement in terms of staff at the club, this suggests his approach is to make changes from the bottom to the top from inside to out.... a bit of patience is needed here.

I understand thats something we Hibs fans don't have in abundance!

Danderhall Hibs
24-10-2019, 11:52 AM
I heard its cos he wanted to guarantee a ticket for the semi final.

Hibee87
24-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Property development

:agree: Correct, he is going to flatten Easter Road and build on the land. Its true, a Hearts fan told me with 100% confidence and he was seen about a month ago at the H/O of Cala Homes (or one of the major house builders).

Barman Stanton
24-10-2019, 11:55 AM
In the past few months there has been quite a bot of movement in terms of staff at the club, this suggests his approach is to make changes from the bottom to the top from inside to out.... a bit of patience is needed here.

Then communicate this. The absolute silence is antagonising an already frustrated and fed up support.

Blaster
24-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Then communicate this. The absolute silence is antagonising an already frustrated and fed up support.

Is the time for him to communicate on his plans not the agm?

Barman Stanton
24-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Is the time for him to communicate on his plans not the agm?

Yes. But that doesn't mean he only has to communicate with his customers once a year.

Blaster
24-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Yes. But that doesn't mean he only has to communicate with his customers once a year.

Definitely. But I do think that’s the time for him to tell us if his short and long term plans for the club as a whole

Barman Stanton
24-10-2019, 12:25 PM
Definitely. But I do think that’s the time for him to tell us if his short and long term plans for the club as a whole

Oh I totally agree. I just think that with pretty much a quarter of the season gone, and us sitting 2nd bottom with 1 win, it may be a good time to give us something to grasp at. Even the usual BS telling us they know its not acceptable. As at the moment the fans are getting more and more restless and its almost like the club couldnt care less.

Blaster
24-10-2019, 12:32 PM
Oh I totally agree. I just think that with pretty much a quarter of the season gone, and us sitting 2nd bottom with 1 win, it may be a good time to give us something to grasp at. Even the usual BS telling us they know its not acceptable. As at the moment the fans are getting more and more restless and its almost like the club couldnt care less.

Yeah it’s all gone completely flat again which is extremely disappointing 👍

ekhibee
24-10-2019, 12:32 PM

This.

147lothian
24-10-2019, 12:51 PM
The £500,000 that we were forking out each year to STF was very significant in the context of Scottish football, the importance of RG wiping that out can't be understated, I'm sure everyone behind the scenes knows we need recruitments in January as well as many on the books either off loaded or sent out on loan.

For me it won't be until the January transfer window that we see if RG has real ambition a for the club going forward or not

Barman Stanton
24-10-2019, 12:59 PM
The £500,000 that we were forking out each year to STF was very significant in the context of Scottish football, the importance of RG wiping that out can't be understated, I'm sure everyone behind the scenes knows we need recruitments in January as well as many on the books either off loaded or sent out on loan.

For me it won't be until the January transfer window that we see if RG has real ambition a for the club going forward or not

And yet we couldnt bring in any further players unless Shaw went out on loan :dunno: I don't get it. Hopefully we were keeping funds aside for January.

The 90+2
24-10-2019, 01:00 PM

He wasn’t exactly going to be allowed to buy the club with a debt still due to the former owner. It’s yet to be seen if it’s a massive difference to us or not, it was terms of him buying what he wanted.

Spudster
24-10-2019, 01:20 PM
But being schooled in US business means he will be running things properly and be looking at our business top to bottom. The AGM is where I think he will outline that vision.
This is the only thing that worries me about Ron. Every american business I've worked with is hugely inefficient, have awful communication and are prone to change systems every few months that mostly make the efficiency worse!

ChooseLife
24-10-2019, 01:24 PM
to double his money when Mcginn eventually moves on from Villa, he's got some of it back already with the £3m + promotion bonus, Mcginn goes to Man U for £50m and Ron walks off into the sunset £5m richer :greengrin

Bostonhibby
24-10-2019, 01:31 PM
I heard its cos he wanted to guarantee a ticket for the semi final.[emoji16]

Nah, it's because he thought he'd get half a million loyalty points.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Barman Stanton
24-10-2019, 01:33 PM
to double his money when Mcginn eventually moves on from Villa, he's got some of it back already with the £3m + promotion bonus, Mcginn goes to Man U for £50m and Ron walks off into the sunset £5m richer :greengrin

Would he not need to get approval from the other shareholders to take sums of money out of the club?

The 90+2
24-10-2019, 01:35 PM
Would he not need to get approval from the other shareholders to take sums of money out of the club?

What would happen if the other shareholders said no to the majority shareholder?

Hibernia&Alba
24-10-2019, 01:44 PM
He's hoping to make a lot of money, presumably.

There are far easier ways for a wealthy person to make more money. Football clubs are expensive to run, and there is very little money in the Scottish game. I don't know why anyone who isn't a fan of a Scottish club would buy it.

Barman Stanton
24-10-2019, 01:44 PM
What would happen if the other shareholders said no to the majority shareholder?

I dont know. Why I asked the question.

The 90+2
24-10-2019, 01:45 PM
I dont know. Why I asked the question.

I’m merely adding to it :greengrin

The 90+2
24-10-2019, 01:45 PM
There are far easier ways for a wealthy person to make more money. Football clubs are expensive to run, and there is very little money in the Scottish game. I don't know why anyone who isn't a fan of a Scottish club would buy it.

Scottish heritage 100% legit imo.

Yorkshire HFC
24-10-2019, 02:15 PM

He doesn't have to tell anyone anything I'm afraid - it's business, and he'll do what suits himself

He doesn't have to answer to a dozen people on a forum

Power
24-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Happy to chip in here to help. I’ve met Ron several times and at face value he’s a very approachable, intelligent & knowledgeable man - definitely genuine (Suppose there has to be an element of trust in me for what I’m saying there).

Hopefully we’ll know more soon on the direction of travel he wants the club to take (I’m asking for that ASAP for us but appreciate the time it’s taking to give us something well thought out and not just positive sound bites without detail).

In the meantime here’s the link to his initial insight on the club
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10094

Happy to help more where I can.

Barman Stanton
24-10-2019, 02:18 PM
He doesn't have to tell anyone anything I'm afraid - it's business, and he'll do what suits himself

He doesn't have to answer to a dozen people on a forum

The discontent goes way further than just a dozen or so on a forum I'm afraid. Look at the semi final ticket sales. Of course he doesn't need to tell anyone anything, but do you think that's a good way to run a business?

Onceinawhile
24-10-2019, 02:32 PM
The discontent goes way further than just a dozen or so on a forum I'm afraid. Look at the semi final ticket sales. Of course he doesn't need to tell anyone anything, but do you think that's a good way to run a business?

What were the sales for our previous league cup semi final v celtic?

I don't remember them being huge, maybe 10,000? We're not a huge amount off that with a week and a bit still to go.

Barman Stanton
24-10-2019, 02:46 PM
What were the sales for our previous league cup semi final v celtic?

I don't remember them being huge, maybe 10,000? We're not a huge amount off that with a week and a bit still to go.

I thought we had sold about 5k so far. That sounds a lot less than normal to me.

Onceinawhile
24-10-2019, 03:53 PM
I thought we had sold about 5k so far. That sounds a lot less than normal to me.

I'd seen 7,000 quoted somewhere?

I'd be very surprised if we only take 5,000 to a semi final.

MWHIBBIES
24-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Nothing Ron Gordon can possibly say will make the blindest bit of difference, all that matters is winning the next game, that is what will make a difference.

blackpoolhibs
24-10-2019, 05:21 PM
Nothing Ron Gordon can possibly say will make the blindest bit of difference, all that matters is winning the next game, that is what will make a difference.

Nonsense, he can come out and let us know his plans for the future, and give us some hope.

Communicate with us, saying nothing only adds to the confusion.

The 90+2
24-10-2019, 05:25 PM

I’m pretty sure if he came out and said significant investment in the playing side was going to be made come the end of the season once he’s evaluating the whole club then there would be a lot, lot more happy supporters regardless of Sat.

Danderhall Hibs
24-10-2019, 05:55 PM

Minor shareholding’s so he can over rule? Isn’t that why HSL was set up - to ensure we could block anything major? Too late now obviously.

The 90+2
24-10-2019, 06:21 PM
Minor shareholding’s so he can over rule? Isn’t that why HSL was set up - to ensure we could block anything major? Too late now obviously.

Yeah makes sense - and also why RG put an end to the opportunity to buy more shares. It’s his way and that’s that.

MWHIBBIES
24-10-2019, 06:45 PM
I’m pretty sure if he came out and said significant investment in the playing side was going to be made come the end of the season once he’s evaluating the whole club then there would be a lot, lot more happy supporters regardless of Sat.

He is never going to say or do that so forget it.

The 90+2
24-10-2019, 06:52 PM

You did say nothing he could possibly say.

blackpoolhibs
24-10-2019, 06:53 PM

Do you know Ron personally, as you seem to know a lot of what he's going to do and not?:confused:

MWHIBBIES
24-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Do you know Ron personally, as you seem to know a lot of what he's going to do and not?:confused:

Na, I'm just a realist. Be very shocked if I'm wrong and he invests millons.

blackpoolhibs
24-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Na, I'm just a realist. Be very shocked if I'm wrong and he invests millons.

Ah right, so like the rest of us you dont have a clue about anything he's planning to do, or not?

The Wireless
24-10-2019, 07:54 PM

I agree about the spare cash quote as I as well do not think he will put much of his hard earned cash Hibs way. I am not too sure Hibs budget will be 500k better off as I have a hunch Tom Farmers initial repayments were financed with the help of our Scottish Cup Victory, our 4th place finish under Lennon, our run in Europe, record sales of merchandise and season tickets not forgetting John McGinns transfer fee.

MWHIBBIES
24-10-2019, 08:02 PM
Ah right, so like the rest of us you dont have a clue about anything he's planning to do, or not?

Time will tell eh.

Mibbes Aye
24-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Nonsense, he can come out and let us know his plans for the future, and give us some hope.

Communicate with us, saying nothing only adds to the confusion.

No it just adds to the frustration that seems to permeate many in society and certainly on social media, when they can’t get instant gratification.

Whatever RG was to come out and say would lead to demands from some for a statement next month, then next week, then tomorrow, then within 12 hours.

Before long there would be demands for a statement on stuff we didn’t know had happened yet, and demands for a statement on stuff that hadn’t happened yet and may not happen. Because there is this insatiable need for content, regardless of quality.

Eventually the whole thing will implode into a self-consuming, navel-gazing feast of a circle jerk, but just without anybody or anything in the middle. Just a circle of folk demanding to know what they don’t know and more often might not exist anyway.

Gerard
24-10-2019, 10:22 PM
I think Mr Gordon needs to share his proposed vision for the club. It has been several months since he purchased the majority share holding in the club. If he wants fans to contribute to his plans for the club we need to know what they are. It is important that the club communicates with the fans to explain in more detail what his proposed plans are.
At the moment the club is in the relegation zone and this is not acceptable as the last time we were relegated we were 3 years in the second tier of football and that cost Hibs a lot of money and opportunities.

jacomo
24-10-2019, 10:56 PM
Happy to chip in here to help. I’ve met Ron several times and at face value he’s a very approachable, intelligent & knowledgeable man - definitely genuine (Suppose there has to be an element of trust in me for what I’m saying there).

Hopefully we’ll know more soon on the direction of travel he wants the club to take (I’m asking for that ASAP for us but appreciate the time it’s taking to give us something well thought out and not just positive sound bites without detail).

Thanks, your input is very welcome.

monktonharp
25-10-2019, 01:12 AM

I understand thats something we Hibs fans don't have in abundance!you might be on the right track. the company that were doing the match clean up, which also involves everyday toilet/washroom clean etc have recently been emptied. maybe on purely cost quotes from others, and it is a fairly small issue but it just happened. A new Glasgow mob have taken over that contract. working from within, to work outwards? possibly, but I tend to agree with most on here re- the lack of good sounds regarding our main issue...……..the team management and overall performance. pretty sad that Leanne Dempster has been virtually dormant this last few weeks She should be the voice for the club.

Ozyhibby
25-10-2019, 05:02 AM

Given the level of under achievement from the team I would say we have patience in abundance. Some of us have too much patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
25-10-2019, 05:06 AM

Good to know the board are in the dark about his plans as well. [emoji849]

Chorley Hibee
25-10-2019, 05:33 AM

I'm beginning to think there aren't any.

PatHead
25-10-2019, 06:28 AM

Ron arrives from the US on Monday for a couple of weeks. Maybe some news as to our direction will come out then.

superfurryhibby
25-10-2019, 07:39 AM
I'm beginning to think there aren't any.

Does anyone really think that someone with Ron Gordon’s business acumen spends millions buying his way into the financial black hole that is Scottish football without a plan?

Unhappy as I am with many things Hibs right now, I’ll wager that the masterplan will be unveiled within weeks.

The 90+2
25-10-2019, 08:13 AM
No it just adds to the frustration that seems to permeate many in society and certainly on social media, when they can’t get instant gratification.

Whatever RG was to come out and say would lead to demands from some for a statement next month, then next week, then tomorrow, then within 12 hours.

Before long there would be demands for a statement on stuff we didn’t know had happened yet, and demands for a statement on stuff that hadn’t happened yet and may not happen. Because there is this insatiable need for content, regardless of quality.

Eventually the whole thing will implode into a self-consuming, navel-gazing feast of a circle jerk, but just without anybody or anything in the middle. Just a circle of folk demanding to know what they don’t know and more often might not exist anyway.

Or maybe we could just hear from our new owner about his plans for the club like, once, ever.

Chorley Hibee
25-10-2019, 08:32 AM
Does anyone really think that someone with Ron Gordon’s business acumen spends millions buying his way into the financial black hole that is Scottish football without a plan?

Unhappy as I am with many things Hibs right now, I’ll wager that the masterplan will be unveiled within weeks.

Let's hope so, because the current veil of silence is concerning.

madhatter
25-10-2019, 08:37 AM

Rename the club "Hibernian Community Social Club" and cease to exist as a professional football club? The thing about a masterplan is, the lead up to the reveal of the masterplan tends not to be a complete mess. At least not under same ownership or leadership.

Funny how Hecky's lost the wheel while Ron is still trying to find it.

I understand the need to be patient but the club seem to have forgotten that people came and gone and didn't get to see the club win the Scottish Cup. Patience and hope is something we've always had but it wears thin pretty fast and the "here we go again" kicks in. In fairness, almost without fail, the "here we go again" is proven correct. Law of attraction and all that but I'm certain Ron's masterplan is a selfish one as he has no history with the club. If you are rich and want to help communities, you would get involved with charities and more directly assist communities. You wouldn't buy a football club. So, either we are changing from a football club (lose focus on what we are) or Ron is legacy building.

Keen to hear his masterplan for the club though. Itll be interesting for sure. Best of the rest currently means 2nd bottom.

LancsHibs
25-10-2019, 03:03 PM
Ron arrives from the US on Monday for a couple of weeks. Maybe some news as to our direction will come out then.

Coming over to sack Heckingbotton and maybe others ??

we are hibs
25-10-2019, 04:00 PM
Coming over to sack Heckingbotton and maybe others ??

Coming over because we have a big game at Hampden.

Gerard
25-10-2019, 04:24 PM

I am sure that RG will do everything to protect his investment in the club. It would be in his interests to share his vision for the club with all the interested parties.if you want people to pony up,they need to know what they are going to pony up into.

Heisenberg
25-10-2019, 04:48 PM

He was always planned in to come back at this time. If results don’t improve hopefully he takes some decisive action while he’s here.

Mibbes Aye
25-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Or maybe we could just hear from our new owner about his plans for the club like, once, ever.

There was a statement when he took over, as KP linked to.

I suspect, as per my post you quoted, that there are a few too many princesses with a tablet or keyboard to hand who want everything now.

blackpoolhibs
25-10-2019, 05:15 PM
There was a statement when he took over, as KP linked to.

I suspect, as per my post you quoted, that there are a few too many princesses with a tablet or keyboard to hand who want everything now.

:faf: Aye its all about now right enough.

Mibbes Aye
25-10-2019, 05:26 PM
:faf: Aye its all about now right enough.

You will have to explain that one, or perhaps respond to my longer reply to your previous post :wink:

blackpoolhibs
25-10-2019, 05:31 PM
You will have to explain that one, or perhaps respond to my longer reply to your previous post :wink:

Canny be arsed really, apart from infrastructure finished, bigger crowds than seen in years, more money through the doors and football on a par with the Bertie Auld years.

We are struggling to sell tickets for a SEMI FINAL.

Why?

Ozyhibby
25-10-2019, 05:59 PM
Canny be arsed really, apart from infrastructure finished, bigger crowds than seen in years, more money through the doors and football on a par with the Bertie Auld years.

Why?

The football is dreadful to watch and the results reflect that. Nobody at Hibs wants to deal with it so the fans are voting with their feet.

Mibbes Aye
25-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Why?

We always struggle to sell for semis. As I say, there are a few princesses. Feel free to engage with my reply to your previous post.

Scotty Leither
25-10-2019, 06:23 PM
The football is dreadful to watch and the results reflect that. Nobody at Hibs wants to deal with it so the fans are voting with their feet.

Yup...too many ostriches at Board level who are buying the "we're having hard lines at the moment" chat from Heckingbottom.

Unfortunately the ostriches carry more sway than us online princesses who've seen this movie too many times before and are making too much noise for some.

Ultimately, it'll come down to who Commissioner Gordon believes, and worryingly, my money's on the ostriches.

worcesterhibby
25-10-2019, 06:40 PM
pretty sad that Leanne Dempster has been virtually dormant this last few weeks She should be the voice for the club.

From Leanne today

We are delighted to announce Graeme as our first Sporting Director.“It’s important that we build on the success we have had in recent years and the foundations that have been put in place. Graeme has been central to those achievements and we look forward to seeing him develop in his new role.
“Ron’s arrival is creating a fresh impetus, with a lot of work going on. We are more determined than ever to be successful within Scottish football, to enjoy regular exposure to European football and deliver a team and a club that supporters can be proud of.
“We all have a part to play in that.”

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2019, 06:46 PM
From Leanne today

We are delighted to announce Graeme as our first Sporting Director.“It’s important that we build on the success we have had in recent years and the foundations that have been put in place. Graeme has been central to those achievements and we look forward to seeing him develop in his new role.
“Ron’s arrival is creating a fresh impetus, with a lot of work going on. We are more determined than ever to be successful within Scottish football, to enjoy regular exposure to European football and deliver a team and a club that supporters can be proud of.
“We all have a part to play in that.”

Bring it on!

blackpoolhibs
25-10-2019, 07:02 PM

exaggerated nonsense. :wink:

Iggy Pope
25-10-2019, 09:24 PM

Do you really thing this is all going to end in group masturbation?

Viva_Palmeiras
25-10-2019, 09:53 PM
What if Leeann has been given more of a free reign to take the club onto the next level free of the constraints of the Petrie. Perhaps she’s prioritised that?

Alfred E Newman
25-10-2019, 09:58 PM
What if Leeann has been given more of a free reign to take the club onto the next level free of the constraints of the Petrie. Perhaps she’s prioritised that?

Maybe we're missing Petrie. :dunno::offski:

B.H.F.C
25-10-2019, 10:12 PM
We always struggle to sell for semis. As I say, there are a few princesses. Feel free to engage with my reply to your previous post.

To the extent we are struggling this time?

The last time we had such a small crowd at Hampden would be the 2004 semi final v Rangers. At that time the 7,000 we took to the game was probably more than the number of season ticket holders we had and it was a Wednesday night.

Next Saturday, with the kick off time, is an absolutely brilliant chance for a day out but nobody can be bothered because everything about the club is absolutely crap.

Mibbes Aye
25-10-2019, 11:03 PM
Do you really thing this is all going to end in group masturbation?

To an extent it is happening already, metaphorically.

Mibbes Aye
25-10-2019, 11:05 PM
exaggerated nonsense. :wink:

No, for those of us who don’t feel the need to post every ten minutes (and I’m not including you in that), it is all too often the state of things.

147lothian
26-10-2019, 12:45 AM

Thanks for breaking this PH I was thinking we would be kept guessing until January about our direction.

cabbageandribs1875
26-10-2019, 08:08 PM
at what stage will our new owner say

"hey leeann, when do we actually win a ******* game"

i'm just asking for a friend btw

Colr
26-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Any ideas?

Lend the club some money and skim the interest off the club.

Bob Box Fish
26-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Was Ron at the game today ?