PDA

View Full Version : New handball rules

worcesterhibby
21-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Ok because of the Doidge goal being chalked off I have been trying to get my head round the new handball rules. It seems to me that they are entirely inconsistent and biased against the attacker.

A free kick or penalty will be awarded if:

the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacker's hand or arm.
a player wins ball possession after it comes off their hand or arm and then scores, or creates a goalscoring chance.
the ball touches a player's hand/arm which has made their silhouette unnaturally bigger.
the ball touches a player's hand/arm when it's raised above their shoulder.

There will be no penalty if:

the ball touches a player's hand/arm immediately from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player.
the ball touches a player's hand/arm close to their body and has not made their silhouette unnaturally bigger.
a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground (but not extended to make the body bigger).
additionally, should the goalkeeper attempt to clear a ball from a teammate but fails, the goalkeeper is allowed to handle the ball.

So what this means is that if the ball comes off your foot and touches your arm/hand immediately as a defender it's no penalty. But if the same thing happens to you as an attacker and you score the goal is chalked off and the opposition are given a free kick.

I have just one question... why ? why is their one rule for defenders and a different rule for attackers ?

Or maybe I have mis-read the rules and the second rule in red that I highlighted counts for all players, in which case the Doidge goal should not have been disallowed, because the ball touched his finger immediately from his foot.

anyone one who is a ref or understands this better care to comment ?

JimBHibees
21-10-2019, 11:20 AM
Ok because of the Doidge goal being chalked off I have been trying to get my head round the new handball rules. It seems to me that they are entirely inconsistent and biased against the attacker.

A free kick or penalty will be awarded if:

the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacker's hand or arm.
a player wins ball possession after it comes off their hand or arm and then scores, or creates a goalscoring chance.
the ball touches a player's hand/arm which has made their silhouette unnaturally bigger.
the ball touches a player's hand/arm when it's raised above their shoulder.

There will be no penalty if:

the ball touches a player's hand/arm immediately from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player.
the ball touches a player's hand/arm close to their body and has not made their silhouette unnaturally bigger.
a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground (but not extended to make the body bigger).
additionally, should the goalkeeper attempt to clear a ball from a teammate but fails, the goalkeeper is allowed to handle the ball.

So what this means is that if the ball comes off your foot and touches your arm/hand immediately as a defender it's no penalty. But if the same thing happens to you as an attacker and you score the goal is chalked off and the opposition are given a free kick.

I have just one question... why ? why is their one rule for defenders and a different rule for attackers ?

Or maybe I have mis-read the rules and the second rule in red that I highlighted counts for all players, in which case the Doidge goal should not have been disallowed, because the ball touched his finger immediately from his foot.

anyone one who is a ref or understands this better care to comment ?

The second highlighted rule only applies to defenders as it is about the award of penalties. I think the rule about an attacker handling the ball is IMO quite a good one as it stops accidental handball ending in a goal and removes any doubt in that circumstance.

What is clear is that some of the rules aren't understood by players as the ball hit the ref in the Hearts Rangers game which should mean that the referee drops the ball for team who played it last before hitting the ref. The Rangers players were still expecting either a drop ball or playing it back to the Hearts defence. The rule in this case is that the ball is dropped at players feet and opposition team are 4m away.

worcesterhibby
21-10-2019, 11:28 AM
The second highlighted rule only applies to defenders as it is about the award of penalties. I think the rule about an attacker handling the ball is IMO quite a good one as it stops accidental handball ending in a goal and removes any doubt in that circumstance.

Yes but what if the ball comes off a forward and touches a defenders arm immediately right on the goal line thus stopping a certain goal ? That means that a penalty is not awarded and the attacking team is at a huge disadvantage. If you have one rule for Defenders and another for attackers it is obviously unfair. If this is what it means I think it's a terrible rule

BoomtownHibees
21-10-2019, 11:31 AM

What is clear is that some of the rules aren't understood by players as the ball hit the ref in the Hearts Rangers game which should mean that the referee drops the ball for team who played it last before hitting the ref. The Rangers players were still expecting either a drop ball or playing it back to the Hearts defence. The rule in this case is that the ball is dropped at players feet and opposition team are 4m away.

On your 2nd point, it’s a terrible rule. The one from yesterday’s game is a perfect example of why it isn’t right. The rule is that the team who last played the ball gets to then keep possession from the drop ball, in this case Hearts, however there was no Hearts player ever going to get on the end of the pass, regardless of it hitting the ref or not, and The Rangers would have had possession. That rule doesn’t work in this circumstance imo

Hibbyradge
21-10-2019, 11:32 AM
Yes but what if the ball comes off a forward and touches a defenders arm immediately right on the goal line thus stopping a certain goal ? That means that a penalty is not awarded and the attacking team is at a huge disadvantage. If you have one rule for Defenders and another for attackers it is obviously unfair. If this is what it means I think it's a terrible rule

That would be a penalty.

BoomtownHibees
21-10-2019, 11:34 AM
That would be a penalty.

I think it would only be a penalty if the defender has made his silhouette bigger or his hands are above his head

Hibbyradge
21-10-2019, 11:36 AM
I think it would only be a penalty if the defender has made his silhouette bigger or his hands are above his head

True

BoomtownHibees
21-10-2019, 11:40 AM
True

Whereas a striker, like Doidge on Saturday, has his goal disallowed because the ball accidentally brushes off his hand. Seems to favour the defending team in a big way imo

worcesterhibby
21-10-2019, 11:40 AM
That would be a penalty.

Not by the new rules it wouldn't..here is the scenarios...

1) Corner comes over and attacker hits a shot from point blank range and immediatlely hits an attackers hand which is by his side on the way into the net - result no goal because the rules state "A free kick will be awarded if the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacker's hand or arm"

2) Corner comes over and the attacker hits a shot from point blank range heading for goal and immediately and the ball hits a defenders hand which is by his side bounces down and he clears the ball - result no penalty, play on. because the rules state "There will be no penalty if the ball touches a player's hand/arm immediately from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player."

one rule for defenders, another rule for attackers

Viva_Palmeiras
21-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Why do they keep fannying about with the rules?

Keep it clear, simple. End of story.

JimBHibees
21-10-2019, 11:58 AM
On your 2nd point, it’s a terrible rule. The one from yesterday’s game is a perfect example of why it isn’t right. The rule is that the team who last played the ball gets to then keep possession from the drop ball, in this case Hearts, however there was no Hearts player ever going to get on the end of the pass, regardless of it hitting the ref or not, and The Rangers would have had possession. That rule doesn’t work in this circumstance imo

I can understand the rule as there have been goals scored when a ref inadvertently gets in the way of a pass and helps a team score a goal. Indeed John Beaton was Falkirk's best defender in semi final we lost at hampden getting in the way of Hibs attacks more than once.

Keith_M
21-10-2019, 12:32 PM
In our game against Stirling, Hibs were awarded a penalty after the Hibs player taking a free kick hammered it directly at the defending wall and it hit one of their players on the arm.

The defender made no bid whatsoever to stop the ball, he was simply hit by a fast paced, but badly aimed, shot at goal.

If I was a Stirling Fan, I would have been fuming about that, as that's never a penalty.

-----------------------------------

In our game against The Rangers last season, we were fighting to overcome a 1-0 deficit near the end of the game and got a corner. The ball had landed among the The Rangers fans and they refused to give it back. The corner was finally taken with a replacement ball, at which point the original was thrown onto the pitch and ruined any chance Hibs had of equalising

The result of that scenario? The Rangers were awarded a 'new drop ball', which Hibs were not allowed to contest... in essence giving The Rangers a free kick.

How on earth is that fair??

where'stheslope
21-10-2019, 04:02 PM
This is clearly why we need referees, as most punters who pay good money to attend games, don't have a clue what the rules mean or how to apply them!
That said, it appears to me that most referees are struggling with the same rules and how to apply them?
So, what you end up with is, the referee applies the rules as he sees fit, and the so called removal of grey areas is made ten times worse!!!!!

hibsbollah
21-10-2019, 04:14 PM
We were sent the new rules at the start of the season for our kids team, and I read the changes carefully, because some of them like the defenders being allowed in their own box at restarts, and no more contested drop balls, are fundamental changes that we needed to understand, and those rules are clearly explained, no problem at all. The handball one? So many grey areas and loopholes I think we just all decided to say 'it's a mess' and not really worry about how to explain it.