PDA

View Full Version : January Window

Greenio
21-10-2019, 04:38 AM
What do we do in the Jan window?

I think it's fair to say we are badly lacking in quality players, up and down the park.

So, what do we need to do.

Can you realistically ship out people we just bought or are we stuck with them?

How much of a rebuild is feasible or is this more of an 'crisis support' with 2/3 players?

Who's a dead cert for leaving?

PS, wont be popular, but I actually think PH will still be our manager. Think results will be 'good' enough for him to hang on. Or, more accuratley, not bad enough for them to have to sack him.

MacGruber
21-10-2019, 07:55 AM
We need quality in Jan. Everyone knows that just as much as we all know Heckingbottom isn't the man to trust with funds to bring quality in.
There will be movement though. One of our more senior players has been told they won't feature and can leave for game time.

we are hibs
21-10-2019, 07:58 AM
Cannot even think about January if heckingbottom remains tbh. We need a defensive midfielder and striker as a priority. The problem we now have is the length of contracts that have been handed out to heckys huddies. Where is the money coming from if its not coming from the owner and we will likely have no transfer money coming in?

BILLYHIBS
21-10-2019, 08:07 AM
Must be loads of ST holders thinking about not renewing so the same funds will not be available in August unless there is a remarkable turnaround plus expect a drop in half season ticket sales in December to watch the dross currently on offer in January

green day
21-10-2019, 08:08 AM
I dont want to derail your thread but.......

The question is irrelevant until the manager is removed and someone else comes in and - potentially - gets more out of the current players.

Thats why removing PH immediately and replacing him soon is so important.

shamo9
21-10-2019, 08:12 AM
Our third January in a row where we'll have to address major failings from the previous window...

calumhibee1
21-10-2019, 08:12 AM
I dont want to derail your thread but.......

The question is irrelevant until the manager is removed and someone else comes in and - potentially - gets more out of the current players.

Thats why removing PH immediately and replacing him soon is so important.

Why’s the question irrelevant? Whatever happens, PH or no PH, there will be movement in the January window, I think we can all be pretty certain of that.

The Modfather
21-10-2019, 08:19 AM
What do we do in the Jan window?

I think it's fair to say we are badly lacking in quality players, up and down the park.

So, what do we need to do.

Can you realistically ship out people we just bought or are we stuck with them?

How much of a rebuild is feasible or is this more of an 'crisis support' with 2/3 players?

Who's a dead cert for leaving?

PS, wont be popular, but I actually think PH will still be our manager. Think results will be 'good' enough for him to hang on. Or, more accuratley, not bad enough for them to have to sack him.

I’d look to move on Slivka, Horgan, Newell & probably Middleton as a priority.

Wouldn’t lose any sleep over any of Stevenson, Hanlon, Mallan, Doidge, Naismith, Vela, Shaw (loan), Murray (loan), Gray (transition into coaching now), McGregor (transition into coaching now) or Jackson moving on or freeing up wages.

Think we desperately need quality out wide and Omeonga-esque energy in between Allan and possibly Hallberg in the DM role. Probably only get one of them, and likely to only be on loan rather than a long term solution.

Sad that for the 3rd or 4th season in a row we need major surgery in January to rectify the summer window and another clear out.

GloryGlory
21-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Regardless of managerial position (or because of) we need at least two strikers. Doidge and Shaw are just not doing it, Kamberi is completely out the picture. That's before we look at lack of steel in midfield and defence.

I don't envy the recruitment team one bit.

ancient hibee
21-10-2019, 10:36 AM
I’d look to move on Slivka, Horgan, Newell & probably Middleton as a priority.

Wouldn’t lose any sleep over any of Stevenson, Hanlon, Mallan, Doidge, Naismith, Vela, Shaw (loan), Murray (loan), Gray (transition into coaching now), McGregor (transition into coaching now) or Jackson moving on or freeing up wages.

Think we desperately need quality out wide and Omeonga-esque energy in between Allan and possibly Hallberg in the DM role. Probably only get one of them, and likely to only be on loan rather than a long term solution.

Sad that for the 3rd or 4th season in a row we need major surgery in January to rectify the summer window and another clear out.

D you really think moving out 15 players in mid season would be a good idea?

The Modfather
21-10-2019, 11:05 AM
D you really think moving out 15 players in mid season would be a good idea?

No, but I’m not advocating moving 15 players on in January. I said 3 or 4 I’d look to move on as a priority. Then listed others I wouldn’t lose any sleep over any of them moving on.

TheGreenMan
21-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Griffiths on loan

hibIBZ
21-10-2019, 11:26 AM
I think if things stay the same kamberi will be wanting away before his stock completely disappears. Middleton can go back as he hasn't done much.re same for Naismith.

The others I can't see us being able to move. Most are on contracts with another year at least to run and don't see anybody wanting them.

We need a striker and a midfielder as a priority. Attacking midfield we are actually creating chances but there is no cutting edge. Defensive mid is non existent and leaving our back line totally exposed

green day
21-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Why’s the question irrelevant? Whatever happens, PH or no PH, there will be movement in the January window, I think we can all be pretty certain of that.

Perhaps I should have clarified - its irrelevant to discuss it ahead of a new manager appointment.........as any new manager might be able to get more out of certain players.

Once we get a new guy in and see exactly how sheeiiite these players are, then we can get the massive broom out :aok:

Diclonius
21-10-2019, 03:10 PM
We'll sign a couple of loans from the English 3rd div and then say we've run out of money.

Hibernian32
21-10-2019, 03:17 PM
I'm bamboozled why he's still in a job.

His job wasn't safe before the international break and we are now worse off in league position and played relegation candidates to fall into the playoff spot.

What are the board seeing? Each game slipping past us. Kamberi's interview pre Hamilton he basically blamed hecky for the style of football he didn't seem happy talking about hecky. So he has clearly lost the dressing room what is it actually going to take I'm pulling my hair out here.

Squirrel 1875
21-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Complete rebuild in January. To do that, we need to hope that the diddies we signed in the summer still have enough credit in the bank in England to clear the wages. We then need to invest a lot of money in rebuilding this squad. Hopefully the next manager (I live in hope) will have the ability to transform this squad, otherwise I really do fear the worst.

Torto7
21-10-2019, 03:23 PM
I like the look of Daniel Harvie at Ayr. He's a left back that gets forward plenty. Lewis needs competition as he's been gash this season and isn't getting any younger.

GreenPJ
21-10-2019, 03:34 PM
We need to get rid of Heckingbottom as a priority as others have said but in terms of his signings, I could live with the fact that if we were to get shot of Vela and Newell the others can do a job. That doesn't mean we don't need another striker and a DM but I think Maxwell, James, Hallberg, Jackson all have something to offer and as a 3rd striker I think Doidge could even prove a different dynamic to Flo and AN Other so am not convinced it needs a clear out but 2 good signings and release a couple and we are certainly competitive.

The biggest thing is the style and mentality and that comes from the manager.

hfc rd
21-10-2019, 03:37 PM
A new manager (preferably before January but I know it is very unlikely), 2 strikers, winger & DM

chippy
22-10-2019, 06:20 AM
New manager
Graham Shinnie or Greg Doherty
Dylan
Big and little sparkles

Empty Vela, Newell and Doidge

The Harp Awakes
22-10-2019, 07:01 AM
Whatever happens with the Manager we need to get away from this practice of spending all your budget on lower league players and hoping they will make the grade. You might get 1 or 2 out of 10 who are decent if you're lucky. In most years our signings were short term loanees so we could punt them when they turned out to be duds, but this time around we don't have that option due to the length of contracts handed out.

Our focus shouldn't be on January signings, but getting a new coach in to grind out wins with the existing players. Although the squad has serious limitations in certain positions, it is nowhere near bad enough to be involved in a relegation fight. Be in no doubt though, stick with the current Coach and we will almost certainly be in a relegation dog fight. His tactical nous, ability to set up a team and motivational qualities are clearly zero.

GreenCastle
22-10-2019, 07:21 AM
We don’t have any money.

Hence why Shaw was being used for a swap / loan option.

One Day Soon
22-10-2019, 07:39 AM
We shouldn't be shifting a single player - or bringing any others in - until we have a new manager. There's plenty in that squad to get us to mid table with a manager who knows what to do in the SPL.

I wouldn't give PH a penny to spend, in fact if they do then that will be the point where I become convinced that a management clear out is needed for most roles below the owner.

PH out in early November please and his replacement in quickly enough to be able to appraise his squad and ready to perform whatever miracles he can with a bubbly and sixpence in the January window.

GreenCastle
22-10-2019, 07:54 AM
We don’t have any money.

calumhibee1
22-10-2019, 07:59 AM
We shouldn't be shifting a single player - or bringing any others in - until we have a new manager. There's plenty in that squad to get us to mid table with a manager who knows what to do in the SPL.

I wouldn't give PH a penny to spend, in fact if they do then that will be the point where I become convinced that a management clear out is needed for most roles below the owner.

PH out in early November please and his replacement in quickly enough to be able to appraise his squad and ready to perform whatever miracles he can with a bubbly and sixpence in the January window.

I'd agree there's enough in that squad to get top 6. Don't think a lot of the players are as bad as people are making them out to be.

Spike Mandela
22-10-2019, 08:01 AM
Goals.

mcfly
22-10-2019, 08:07 AM
There is no point moaning about Heckingbottom on these pages.

The only way to get rid of him is to let the board know loud and clear on sat.

He will be sitting beside them in the stand.

Empty seats and unhappy stands make his position untenable

heretoday
22-10-2019, 08:12 AM
I'd agree there's enough in that squad to get top 6. Don't think a lot of the players are as bad as people are making them out to be.

They are pretty bad but most other sides in the SPL are pretty bad too.

A couple of wins would make a huge difference.

Forza Fred
22-10-2019, 10:23 AM
I’m worried that Hecky has already used the budget that would normally have been kept for January.

It must have cost a bit to lure the players from England, who irrespective how good or bad they play, would have been on more than is normally paid at Hibs.

The 90+2
22-10-2019, 10:26 AM
We don’t have any money.

I don’t believe that.

Torto7
22-10-2019, 10:28 AM
I’m worried that Hecky has already used the budget that would normally have been kept for January.

It must have cost a bit to lure the players from England, who irrespective how good or bad they play, would have been on more than is normally paid at Hibs.

Forest Green, Rotherham, Barnsley back up, Yeovil and a loanee from Preston. I keep hearing these guys have gobbled up the budget and I don't buy it. If Hibs aren't substantially cash rich come the AGM then my bull****ometer will be going off.

Vault Boy
22-10-2019, 10:51 AM
I don’t believe that.

Agreed. I'd be very surprised if there isn't a separate piece of the budget kept for January. Too many things can happen from August to December for us to not account for the Jan window.

Hibiza
22-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Omeonga if at all possible.

makaveli1875
22-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Replacing the useless manager should be the priority

Hibiza
22-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Omeonga

basehibby
22-10-2019, 01:44 PM

Football fans deal in expressions such as abysmal, hopeless and POOR when not happy - but the truth is that most of Heck's signings have been bang average as opposed to exceptionally poor. As we all know, this may be a reasonable strategy for signing the odd squad filler but what we badly needed close season were some players who were going to RAISE the bar and make themselves immediate first team fixtures with immediate effect. This did not materialiase, which is why we now find ourselves propping up the table.

As someone has pointed out elsewhere on this thread, Doidge for example, may have been a reasonable signing if he had been signed as a squad player to give us another option up front. As it goes, he appears to have been signed more with the idea of building a team around him - and in that context he IS ****ing hopeless. He simply has not shown sufficient class to survive at SPL level as a principal getter of goals and it is this major misjudgement of the qualities required on Heckingbottom's part which has dumped us in the doodoo.

It's a couple of BAR RAISING players we really need in January - it hardly really matters what positions as long as they significantly raise the bar - but the Forward positions are the most obviously crying out for surgery along with defensive mid.

BILLYHIBS
22-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Football fans deal in expressions such as abysmal, hopeless and POOR when not happy - but the truth is that most of Heck's signings have been bang average as opposed to exceptionally poor. As we all know, this may be a reasonable strategy for signing the odd squad filler but what we badly needed close season were some players who were going to RAISE the bar and make themselves immediate first team fixtures with immediate effect. This did not materialiase, which is why we now find ourselves propping up the table.

As someone has pointed out elsewhere on this thread, Doidge for example, may have been a reasonable signing if he had been signed as a squad player to give us another option up front. As it goes, he appears to have been signed more with the idea of building a team around him - and in that context he IS ****ing hopeless. He simply has not shown sufficient class to survive at SPL level as a principal getter of goals and it is this major misjudgement of the qualities required on Heckingbottom's part which has dumped us in the doodoo.

It's a couple of BAR RAISING players we really need in January - it hardly really matters what positions as long as they significantly raise the bar - but the Forward positions are the most obviously crying out for surgery along with defensive mid.

We need REAL quality bad!

Enough with this English lower league pish already!

500miles
22-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Omeonga if at all possible.

He and Liam Henderson are finding first team football limited. Dylan McGeouch is in and out at Sunderland too.

Vault Boy
22-10-2019, 02:24 PM
We need REAL quality bad!

Enough with this English lower league pish already!

We certainly do need some quality players, however I think signings like Bartley, Fontaine and Gray prove that there's nothing inherently wrong with signing players from the English lower leagues.

Just need to be better at selecting them than we have been.

Vault Boy
22-10-2019, 02:25 PM
He and Liam Henderson are finding first team football limited. Dylan McGeouch is in and out at Sunderland too.

Any of them would be so ideal. They're all perfect examples of what we're missing in midfield.

Nicho87
22-10-2019, 04:59 PM
I’d rather a new manager in if it meant no new signings. I think the signings are poor quality but a decent manager would still manage to get more out the current squad.

thebausburst
22-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Something dramatic to give the place a lift would be great, but unlikely, Lee Griffiths on loan being the very obvious one, however our still poor relationship with Celtic leaves this very unlikely.

The 90+2
22-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Something dramatic to give the place a lift would be great, but unlikely, Lee Griffiths on loan being the very obvious one, however our still poor relationship with Celtic leaves this very unlikely.

I think the relationship may have been mended a little with Petrie leaving.

Jim44
23-10-2019, 06:25 AM
I’d rather a new manager in if it meant no new signings. I think the signings are poor quality but a decent manager would still manage to get more out the current squad.

:agree:Our only hope is the ‘new manager boost’ effect. It’s not guaranteed to happen but there’s always the possibility. It happened when the present incumbent took over the Lennon inertia. There’s enough quality in the existing squad to get 9th or 10th spot, although the post split matches will be nail-biting nightmare.

Allant1981
23-10-2019, 06:28 AM
:agree:Our only hope is the ‘new manager boost’ effect. It’s not guaranteed to happen but there’s always the possibility. It happened when the present incumbent took over the Lennon inertia. There’s enough quality in the existing squad to get 9th or 10th spot, although the post split matches will be nail-biting nightmare.

Enough quality to gain us 1 possibly 2 places, sorry but that squad is actually a decent squad if they get the finger out, we are not even halfway through the season yet, we are more than capable of finishing in the top half if we get a new manager and a couple of decent strikers in january

MWHIBBIES
23-10-2019, 06:37 AM
We don’t have any money.

We didn't have any money, we will come January. Semi final cash will help

Jim44
23-10-2019, 06:43 AM
Enough quality to gain us 1 possibly 2 places, sorry but that squad is actually a decent squad if they get the finger out, we are not even halfway through the season yet, we are more than capable of finishing in the top half if we get a new manager and a couple of decent strikers in january

Of course you’re right, in theory, but in reality, I just don’t see it happening. I’ll adjust my statement to 7th or 8th in deference to your optimism. :greengrin

Souter96Mac
23-10-2019, 06:49 AM
Can see us cashing in on Kamberi. I'd be gutted if so, but we would need to go out and get a goal scorer.

Allant1981
23-10-2019, 06:49 AM
Of course you’re right, in theory, but in reality, I just don’t see it happening. I’ll adjust my statement to 7th or 8th in deference to your optimism. :greengrin

That's better!! I genuinely cant see us in the same position in the summer but this has all been said before as we all know