PDA

View Full Version : Hecky... another Pat Fenlon

Fife-Hibee
20-10-2019, 02:47 PM
That Paul Heckingbottom, I hear that he's a real nice guy.

Is that the problem though? When you look at the most effective managers in this league, they generally share the common theme of being a bit of a fud. Is our culture of kindness and respect at the club ultimately working against us? Could it be a contributing factor to our soft touch mentality?

JJP
20-10-2019, 02:52 PM
Hecky and his team remind me more of the Calderwood era. I was one of those who liked Fenlon though.

Peanut Shaz
20-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Fenlon wasn't by any stretch our best manager but he 'got' Hibs. Bonded with the fans and certainly tried to the best of his ability. Calderwood? Enough said!

lyonhibs
20-10-2019, 03:17 PM
I'd have Fenlon back over this insipid sleepwalking pish.

Job is too big for both of them but I'd bet Fenlon would comfortably win a popularity contest.

Onion
20-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Fenlon wasn't the best but showed a bit of passion for the club and had some rapport with the fans. Heckingbottom has much more in common with Calderdud - passionless, remote, negative with just a hint of arrogant "it will cost you to sack me" attitude. And an inability to win games.

jacomo
20-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Fenlon wasn't by any stretch our best manager but he 'got' Hibs. Bonded with the fans and certainly tried to the best of his ability.

Fair comment. PH gives the impression we are lucky to have him.

I doubt many Hibs fans share this view.

AgentDaleCooper
20-10-2019, 04:18 PM

Is that the problem though? When you look at the most effective managers in this league, they generally share the common theme of being a bit of a fud. Is our culture of kindness and respect at the club ultimately working against us? Could it be a contributing factor to our soft touch mentality?

klopp seems like a great guy.

butcher seems like an absolute bellend.

CloudSquall
20-10-2019, 04:24 PM
Heckingbottom doesn't seem to "get" Hibs but I wouldn't put him on the same level as Calderwood who seemed to believe we owed him one for gracing us with his presence.

Fife-Hibee
20-10-2019, 04:28 PM

A great guy? Or an exceptionally clever guy?

A clever manager knows exactly how to handle themselves in the public eye. It doesn't however mean they come across the same way to their players in private.

The 90+2
20-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Fenlon didn’t get a fraction of the budget Hecky has. He was a much, much better manager. Hecky is Calderwood all over again, great guy great coach took the league too lightly and will want to leave as soon as he can.

CMurdoch
20-10-2019, 04:31 PM

Heckingbottoms negativity is his biggest issue.
Negative team selections and instilling negativity and fear in his players.

The 90+2
20-10-2019, 04:32 PM
Heckingbottom doesn't seem to "get" Hibs but I wouldn't put him on the same level as Calderwood who seemed to believe we owed him one for gracing us with his presence.

His argent seemed to be trying to get him out the club in the summer while his stock wasn’t bad.

The 90+2
20-10-2019, 04:33 PM

Job is too big for both of them but I'd bet Fenlon would comfortably win a popularity contest.

Fenlon sat with the support in 2016 and was going tonto when we won. He’s a great guy who done a job in ***** circumstances.

Fife-Hibee
20-10-2019, 04:34 PM
Heckingbottoms negativity is his biggest issue.
Negative team selections and instilling negativity and fear in his players.

I'm hearing a lot about this apparent wicked character of Heckingbottom, but not really sure where the evidence of this is coming from. I know we're all frustrated regarding performances and results. But that doesn't really offer any indepth indication to Heckingbottoms character behind the scenes.

jacomo
20-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Fenlon sat with the support in 2016 and was going tonto when we won. He’s a great guy who done a job in ***** circumstances.

Shook his hand in the international after the match. I think he was a bit overwhelmed by all the attention he was getting - came across as just another fan enjoying a pint and savouring an historic victory.

Captain Trips
20-10-2019, 05:25 PM
We play like we are 1-0 with seconds left unfortunately we play like that for most of the match irrespective of the actual score.

1van Sprou7e
20-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Is he heckingbottom seen as a nice guy?

Charming yes but he seems pretty sleekit

The Modfather
20-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Not sure there’d be a particularly noticeable difference between either Imo. Fenlon might have turned a few of the defeats into draws and had us a couple of places higher in the league but that’s about it. I gave up my season ticket under Fenlon and stopped going. I’ve currently got the same levels of apathy as I had under Fenlon. I now find myself checking my fantasy league team before the Hibs score.

In Fenlons defence, there were far bigger things wrong at the club than just the manager then, but he did a turgid job with the poor hand he was dealt IMO.

Fife-Hibee
20-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Is he heckingbottom seen as a nice guy?

Charming yes but he seems pretty sleekit

Would you leave your well paid job for nothing, just because you're requested to? Or would you cling on and milk every penny you could until ultimately forced out the door?

As frustrating as it is from our own point of view, I can understand entirely from his point of view why he isn't budging.

Iggy Pope
20-10-2019, 05:59 PM
Not sure there’d be a particularly noticeable difference between either Imo. Fenlon might have turned a few of the defeats into draws and had us a couple of places higher in the league but that’s about it. I gave up my season ticket under Fenlon and stopped going. I’ve currently got the same levels of apathy as I had under Fenlon. I now find myself checking my fantasy league team before the Hibs score.

In Fenlons defence, there were far bigger things wrong at the club than just the manager then, but he did a turgid job with the poor hand he was dealt IMO.

Right. Can’t imagine that circumstance myself, doubt I’m alone. But yet you pop on here with your apathy and discontent?

Hibeesmad
20-10-2019, 06:01 PM
Would we take 6 points from our next 6 games if it meant winning the league cup?

Fife-Hibee
20-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Would we take 6 points from our next 6 games if it meant winning the league cup?

The cups are only worth pursuing when we know our place in the league is secured. If 6 points in the next 6 games ultimately results in relegation by the end of the season, then it isn't worth it for either cup.

The Captain....
20-10-2019, 06:05 PM
I always felt like Fenlon managed Hibs too early on his career and didn't get the support he needed from above. He gave it everything he had and you could see the toll it was taking on him towards the end. He cared too much if anything imo.

Calderwood gave me the exact opposite feeling and was supported better by the Board. His tenure was soul destroying.

Heckingbottom's time here is much closer to Calderwoods than Fenlons. I've the same feeling of dread everytime a team sheet is read out and it feels.like we're in a holding pattern until he is finally p45'd and we can get on with enjoying Hibs again.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hiber-nation
20-10-2019, 06:09 PM
I now find myself checking my fantasy league team before the Hibs score.

But you post about Hibs on here? Maybe it's just me (I say that a lot these days) but I just don't get that at all.

The Modfather
20-10-2019, 06:11 PM
Right. Can’t imagine that circumstance myself, doubt I’m alone. But yet you pop on here with your apathy and discontent?

As you’re quoting a post of mine, yes, quite clearly I still pop on here. I’ve got a season ticket, I simply don’t feel guilty the times I choose not to go and do something with my daughter instead. Should I not be posting on Hibs.net?

Iggy Pope
20-10-2019, 06:12 PM
But you post about Hibs on here? Maybe it's just me (I say that a lot these days) but I just don't get that at all.

It’s not just you.

The Modfather
20-10-2019, 06:14 PM

Correct. I’m not boycotting Hibs or Hibs.net so why wouldn't I come on here and post on a subject I have an opinion on, this time Pat Fenlon.

WhileTheChief..
20-10-2019, 06:15 PM
I’ve thought for a long time that the club puts too much emphasis on being nice. Always want to be seen to do the right thing, never upset anyone etc.

They definitely wanted ‘nice’ after Lennon. We’ve ended up with beige.

I don’t think he talks a good game or comes across as nice. Smug and sleekit are way more apt.

I don’t even think he’s a football manager. He bluffed his way into a job way bigger than whatever ability he thinks he’s got.

Iggy Pope
20-10-2019, 06:18 PM
As you’re quoting a post of mine, yes, quite clearly I still pop on here. I’ve got a season ticket, I simply don’t feel guilty the times I choose not to go and do something with my daughter instead. Should I not be posting on Hibs.net?

I’m asking why you bother even reading this site far less post, when you’re not even concerned about the Hibs score. Weird behaviour. What’s your daughter got to do with this, who mentioned her?

I’ve currently got the same levels of apathy as I had under Fenlon. I now find myself checking my fantasy league team before the Hibs score.

Is she in that Fantasy Football side you need the updates on?

The Modfather
20-10-2019, 06:29 PM
I’m asking why you bother even reading this site far less post, when you’re not even concerned about the Hibs score. Weird behaviour. What’s your daughter got to do with this, who mentioned her?

I’ve currently got the same levels of apathy as I had under Fenlon. I now find myself checking my fantasy league team before the Hibs score.

Is she in that Fantasy Football side you need the updates on?

Not sure what you’ve taken exception to or why my apathy (of which I’d also be surprised if I was the only apathetic Hibee out there) bothers you. I mentioned my daughter in a follow up post to mention that I do have a season ticket (it might have sounded like I had stopped going, like I did under Fenlon) but I sometimes choose to do something else than to use it.

I read the site as there’s more forums than just the main forum, and also read the main forum to see what’s being said and in hope of a managerial change. Some threads will interest me enough to post on them, the majority don’t, it’s really not anymore complicated than that.

superfurryhibby
20-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Comparing the two managers is hard, due to very different circumstances.

Fenlon presided over two of the worst results in our history, it’s hard to ever forget that. However, he did have us playing well for a part of his second season. The football was actually attractive to watch and guys like Wotherspoon, Claros and Doyle helped give Leigh a platform to display his talents.

Unfortunately, Heckingbottoms teams don’t exactly dwell on the finer points of the game. Risk averse and seemingly only capable of losing badly or stifling the life out the opposition for a torturous point. It somehow reminds me of watching us under Bertie Auld or Miller (during our turgid phases).

Paisley Hibby
20-10-2019, 06:34 PM

Exactly. And in the case of Butcher there's no "seems like" about it he IS an absolute bellend. By miles the worst manager we've ever had and, from what I've heard, an utterly obnoxious person. I've no idea whether PH is a nice guy or not. But I am sure he's a **** manager.

Iggy Pope
20-10-2019, 06:38 PM
Not sure what you’ve taken exception to or why my apathy (of which I’d also be surprised if I was the only apathetic Hibee out there) bothers you. I mentioned my daughter in a follow up post to mention that I do have a season ticket (it might have sounded like I had stopped going, like I did under Fenlon) but I sometimes choose to do something else than to use it.

I read the site as there’s more forums than just the main forum, and also read the main forum to see what’s being said and in hope of a managerial change. Some threads will interest me enough to post on them, the majority don’t, it’s really not anymore complicated than that.

I’m not taking exception, I’m replying in the time honoured fashion. I don’t care about what else you read. It’s mind boggling you wouldn’t be interested in the Hibs score - that’s what you wrote. And its what I quoted when I replied. You said nowt about your family or your season ticket when you posted, only about checking your Fantasy Football.
I cannot think of a Hibby of any description (and we all know a few of all descriptions) who wouldn’t want to know how the Hibs game was going.

It’s basically, politely, ****ing radge.

The 90+2
20-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Shook his hand in the international after the match. I think he was a bit overwhelmed by all the attention he was getting - came across as just another fan enjoying a pint and savouring an historic victory.

One of the good guys for sure 👍

The Modfather
20-10-2019, 06:44 PM
I’m not taking exception, I’m replying in the time honoured fashion. I don’t care about what else you read. It’s mind boggling you wouldn’t be interested in the Hibs score - that’s what you wrote. And its what I quoted when I replied. You said nowt about your family or your season ticket when you posted, only about checking your Fantasy Football.
I cannot think of a Hibby of any description (and we all know a few of all descriptions) who wouldn’t want to know how the Hibs game was going.

It’s basically, politely, ****ing radge.

Well, I think you’d be best re-reading my post. I said I find myself checking my fantasy league team BEFORE I check the Hibs score. You’ve then gone off on one about me “not wanting to know how the Hibs game was going”. I’ll leave you to it.

Iggy Pope
20-10-2019, 06:49 PM
Well, I think you’d be best re-reading my post. I said I find myself checking my fantasy league team BEFORE I check the Hibs score. You’ve then gone off on one about me “not wanting to know how the Hibs game was going”. I’ll leave you to it.

Like I said. Weird.
Cut it any way you want. It’s radge.

Spike Mandela
21-10-2019, 04:33 AM
give Leigh a platform to display his talents.

I think if Heckingbottom’s team had a Griffiths, playing the way he did in Fenlon’s team, we’d be much higher up the league.

I had high hope that Kamberi would be a 20 goal a season man like Riordan, Stokes or Griffiths but it doesn’t look like he is unfortunately. This Hibs team sorely needs a ‘Griffiths’.

KeithTheHibby
21-10-2019, 05:45 AM
I think if Heckingbottom’s team had a Griffiths, playing the way he did in Fenlon’s team, we’d be much higher up the league.

I had high hope that Kamberi would be a 20 goal a season man like Riordan, Stokes or Griffiths but it doesn’t look like he is unfortunately. This Hibs team sorely needs a ‘Griffiths’.

Given the way we line up I’m sure Griffiths would struggle to score goals in that team.

Smartie
21-10-2019, 06:23 AM
Pat inherited an absolute disaster and gave it everything he could. It's hard to get away from the fact that ultimately he put the relegation squad together, but I'm convinced he was far from helped by what was the Hibs board of the time and specifically Petrie.

PH has everything in place to succeed and our current failings all stop at his door.

I agree that it is more Calderwood than Fenlon. Calderwood inherited something, and turned it into the disaster that Fenlon inherited. Heckingbottom inherited the imperfect but "something to work with" situation from Lennon and appears to have turned it into turd.