PDA

View Full Version : Tom James

FifeHibs
19-10-2019, 10:03 PM
Although Tom has missed a month or so through injury since the start of the season, I am not very impressed with his performances.

In my view Tom seems to try and stand a winger up rather than going into a tackle as Lewis or Sir Davis Gray do. We seem to concede allot more crosses into the box from the right than we have in the last few years. He is not very fast, offers no height at corners.

a very uninspiring signing.

angus hibby
19-10-2019, 10:15 PM
Although Tom has missed a month or so through injury since the start of the season, I am not very impressed with his performances.

In my view Tom seems to try and stand a winger up rather than going into a tackle as Lewis or Sir Davis Gray do. We seem to concede allot more crosses into the box from the right than we have in the last few years. He is not very fast, offers no height at corners.

Just because he doesn’t go into a tackle, that makes him a bad player?? Deary me.

I’d much prefer my full back to stand up & not commit himself to a tackle.

He’s a very good player, composed on the ball and comfortable on either foot. He’ll be a good player for us.

Carheenlea
19-10-2019, 10:17 PM
I think he’s been one of the better signings.

Sammy7nil
19-10-2019, 10:18 PM
Just because he doesn’t go into a tackle, that makes him a bad player?? Deary me.

He’s a very good player, composed on the ball and comfortable on either foot. He’ll be a good player for us.

He maybe (I don't think so) but sorry you cannot say that on the evidence of what we have seen so far.

FifeHibs
19-10-2019, 10:19 PM

Very good player? Behave

he was awful against St Mirren, Christie out jumped him for the Celtic goal, was woeful today he has no pace or fight.

FifeHibs
19-10-2019, 10:19 PM

So do I but if the bench mark is Vela and Newell 🤦*♂️

angus hibby
19-10-2019, 10:25 PM
Very good player? Behave

he was awful against St Mirren, Christie out jumped him for the Celtic goal, was woeful today he has no pace or fight.

“Awful against St Mirren?”. He played less than half a game before being crocked.

angus hibby
19-10-2019, 10:26 PM
So do I but if the bench mark is Vela and Newell 🤦*♂️

Newell has started 3 league games!! How do you think he played today?

BILLYHIBS
19-10-2019, 10:26 PM

Said this from the word go; wanders away from his man no urgency no pace cannot recover but technically very good on the ball and a good passer of the ball

In our League you need to close your man down right away and don’t give him time on the ball or other options all part of a high press that requires fitness levels that the players have never known before 😁

MWHIBBIES
19-10-2019, 10:28 PM
Diving in 1v1 is bad defending, simple as. James is good, hasn't let us down.

truehibernian
19-10-2019, 10:31 PM
Don't think he's a full back personally, could make a good sitting /holding midfielder as he is generally tidy on the ball and rarely loses possession.

FifeHibs
19-10-2019, 10:33 PM
Newell has started 3 league games!! How do you think he played today?

In the first half he put a few decent crosses in and was one of the better performers although this that does not about the performances of Horgan, Doige, Vela, Stensonso, James, Mallberg.

He will never beat a man for pace though.

Played much bette than his non descript appearance in Aberdeen. Horrific against St Mirren and let's not speak about his horror show at Ibrox.

In my opinion he simply is not good enough for us.

What is is your opinion?

BILLYHIBS
19-10-2019, 10:34 PM
Diving in 1v1 is bad defending, simple as. James is good, hasn't let us down.

Yeah but not standing 10 yards away from the man as happened versus St Mirren sorry change that to 10 yards behind the man

Get there and jockey the man close him down forcing him into mistakes a la SDG or Lewis no one is saying dive in just get there!

angus hibby
19-10-2019, 10:45 PM
In the first half he put a few decent crosses in and was one of the better performers although this that does not about the performances of Horgan, Doige, Vela, Stensonso, James, Mallberg.

He will never beat a man for pace though.

Played much bette than his non descript appearance in Aberdeen. Horrific against St Mirren and let's not speak about his horror show at Ibrox.

In my opinion he simply is not good enough for us.

What is is your opinion?

My opinion is that you shouldn’t dismiss a player after 3 starts.

Michael
19-10-2019, 10:47 PM

Why not? That's more than enough time to see if someone has potential.

FifeHibs
19-10-2019, 10:54 PM

Has he showed you anything in the games he has played to suggest he will he a good player?

Does he have pace?
Dies he attack balls in the box?
Is he a threat going forward?
Has he shown heart or desire in 1:1 situations?

Dashing Bob S
20-10-2019, 01:38 AM
Looks good alongside the other signings. But it’s a bit like saying Rolf Harris doesn’t seem such a bad guy in a line up of Garry Glitter Jimmy Savile and Fred West.

MWHIBBIES
20-10-2019, 06:56 AM
Yeah but not standing 10 yards away from the man as happened versus St Mirren sorry change that to 10 yards behind the man

Get there and jockey the man close him down forcing him into mistakes a la SDG or Lewis no one is saying dive in just get there!
Still going on about this supposed terrible 30 minutes Vs St Mirren that he had :faf:

No mention of James Forrest being subbed after being easily controlled by Tom. Guess you have locked in your opinion and it won't change

we are hibs
20-10-2019, 07:00 AM
Good technically. Okay going forward. Unconvinced defensively.

Pretty Boy
20-10-2019, 07:01 AM
He looks the pick of Heckingbottoms signings.

Whether that is being damned by faint praise is another matter.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2019, 07:26 AM
Looks good alongside the other signings. But it’s a bit like saying Rolf Harris doesn’t seem such a bad guy in a line up of Garry Glitter Jimmy Savile and Fred West.

:agree: Just another average player who is a downgrade in quality from a fit David Gray, although that is a rarity these days.

MWHIBBIES
20-10-2019, 07:28 AM
:agree: Just another average player who is a downgrade in quality from a fit David Gray, although that is a rarity these days.

So he's an upgrade on the crocked Gray that actually exists these days?

BILLYHIBS
20-10-2019, 07:30 AM
Still going on about this supposed terrible 30 minutes Vs St Mirren that he had :faf:

No mention of James Forrest being subbed after being easily controlled by Tom. Guess you have locked in your opinion and it won't change

No!

I go to all of the home games and some of the away and always have an open mind

I did not attend yesterday’s game but my son did

My problem is is that the OP is saying what I said after the Stirling Arbroath and Alloa games and his shocker versus St Mirren

I thought he had improved and added a wee bit of speed physicality and urgency to his game but going by the OP obviously not

On the other hand I was pleased that Jonnyboy gave Joe Newall his MOM yesterday

Never say never. :greengrin

J-C
20-10-2019, 07:30 AM
Good technically. Okay going forward. Unconvinced defensively.

This.

I would try him in the DM role and drop Vela allowing Hallberg to be more box2box, he struggles to recover when caught upfield due to zero pace and always gives his man far too much space but looks a half decent player, I don't think he's the player to take over from Gray though.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2019, 07:32 AM
So he's an upgrade on the crocked Gray that actually exists these days?

I'd be an upgrade on anyone who's injured????????:confused:

Nicho87
20-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Like all heckys signing-not good enough

Heisenberg
20-10-2019, 08:00 AM
Watching him and Stevenson continually blasting crosses out the park yesterday was a great way to spend my afternoon.

Leith Green
20-10-2019, 08:03 AM
He looks good on the ball , decent touch and looks to find a forward pass. He looks like defensively he needs to improve.

JimBHibees
20-10-2019, 08:11 AM

No he is a new player and doesn't already have a thread slating everything about him so it is his turn this week.