PDA

View Full Version : If there is one thing I have learned about being a Hibby for 50 years,

Hillsidehibby
19-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Is that becoming ***** again is always just around the corner.

Sammy7nil
19-10-2019, 10:51 PM

So very true i must be about the same age and I find it hard to recall back to back good seasons in the top flight.

Jim44
19-10-2019, 11:03 PM
:agree: I’m beginning to struggle to remember if we are essentially a good club which regularly underperforms or a poor club which occasionally overperforms. Either way, I’m now conditioned into thinking that we can lose to any team in the SPFL and by definition are a mediocre outfit and the perennial soft touch of Scottish football.

DickieDastardly
19-10-2019, 11:08 PM
Yes we appear somewhat cursed in that department, whenever we have a strong season the vultures seem to circle quickly to undermine/lure away either the star performers or the manager.

Part of being a Hibby but it does make the fleeting successes very enjoyable...

Glory Lurker
19-10-2019, 11:23 PM
What I'm mad about this time is that there is no justification.

We've got the infrastructure. It finally is all about the football. We have 3rd/4th most season ticket holders in the league. We should be skooshing it against at least half the league.

There have been various mitigating factors over the last 60 years, but there is no reason now whatsoever that Hibs should be yo-yo.

Yet we are.

ddoc
19-10-2019, 11:57 PM
:agree: I’m beginning to struggle to remember if we are essentially a good club which regularly underperforms or a poor club which occasionally overperforms. Either way, I’m now conditioned into thinking that we can lose to any team in the SPFL and by definition are a mediocre outfit and the perennial soft touch of Scottish football.

We are consistently inconsistent. Supported Hibs for 50+ years, missed countless seasons whilst in the RAF, and now have lived in Australia for the last 20 years. In following from afar, reliant on newspaper report pre internet, that is how I sum up Hibs since the heady days of my youth watching the Tornadoes.
As for this season, it feels like a write-off already, where we probably float comfortably above the relegation zone, but well short of the top six, with mediocre performances being the norm.

FilipinoHibs
20-10-2019, 12:24 AM
Followed for 50 years too. Apart from the pre Tornadoes/Tornadoes era never had more than 2 good seasons in a row. We have short periods of good teams but medium periods of mediocrity where you wondered if we would ever have players to light up ER again. But of course the new heroes always appear. We at the start of another dark period.

Deansy
20-10-2019, 12:59 AM

Yup - how we've managed to remain in the top 5 crowd-wise over that period is amazing when you think of the lack of cups and what's been on offer on the field !

Dashing Bob S
20-10-2019, 01:28 AM
I’m disappointed that I’m the age of crass footballing economics we can’t even keep up with that trend and (like Hearts) factor ourselves with Adeen in as top five fixture in the same way the OF do as top two.

At least that gives as a euro slot and an opportunity to strike at the OF should one or both have a crisis year. Jesus, it’s simple wage bill differential, not rocket science. We shouldn’t EVER over the course of a season, be mixing it mid table with the Motherwell’s, Kilmarnocks and St Johnstone’s, far less be battling for relegation with the Hamilton’s and Ross Country’s.

That’s probably my biggest disappointment. I accept the odd transitional season or two if we are building a ‘golden generation’ team, but not the vanity project of another loser who wants to assemble his own dross.

Hi Heid Yin
20-10-2019, 02:58 AM

We've got the infrastructure. It finally is all about the football. We have 3rd/4th most season ticket holders in the league. We should be skooshing it against at least half the league.

There have been various mitigating factors over the last 60 years, but there is no reason now whatsoever that Hibs should be yo-yo.

Yet we are.

:top marksI couldn't agree more!

.Sean.
20-10-2019, 03:22 AM
It’s soul destroying. Why should we accept it anymore? Hibs used to be the focal point of mine and my mates whole week, we’d literally buzz for weeks about the next weekend we’d be on an awayday. Now I’m dodging home games on my ST and not being arsed about missing a semi final.

Is Dempster really that stupid that she doesn’t believe there’s another x thousand supporters feeling like me? When is enough enough?

Weegreenman
20-10-2019, 03:42 AM

Yet we are.

Sadly the club will now start to lose out on season ticket holders as a result unless something drastic happens. Back to 9/10k attendances and who can blame them?

expresso
20-10-2019, 06:19 AM
Same here, beyond frustrating given the level of infrastructure ground, training complex, financial position and especially solid fan base how seemingly inferior clubs can out perform us.

SkintHibby
20-10-2019, 06:56 AM
Supporting Hibs is a cycle of Good, Poor, Poor, Relegation and back to Good again and so on...

Been like that for as long as I can remember and I'm no spring chicken!:rolleyes:

BILLYHIBS
20-10-2019, 09:03 AM
I fear we will never see the like of the Tornadoes again

12-14 guys bonded together each and everyone drilled and trained for their individual role within the team playing fast exciting entertaining attacking attractive football the best brand of football the worlds ever seen

Each and every man fighting for the jersey a love of the club and a hatred of all things jambo and the ugly sisters

My old man used to say to me the only thing guaranteed about HIBS is they will always let you down

Sadly he never lived to see the Holy Grail

:cup::scarf:

B.H.F.C
20-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Is Dempster really that stupid that she doesn’t believe there’s another x thousand supporters feeling like me? When is enough enough?

That’s the worrying thing, we all know there is plenty people feeling that way. She’s neglecting her duties at the moment. She’s every bit as culpable as Heckingbottom for where we’re heading.

B.H.F.C
20-10-2019, 09:23 AM
Supporting Hibs is a cycle of Good, Poor, Poor, Relegation and back to Good again and so on...

Been like that for as long as I can remember and I'm no spring chicken!:rolleyes:

Throughout that time have we always enjoyed the advantages over other teams that we have now though?

We shouldn’t accept that it’s just part of a cycle.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2019, 09:27 AM

Yet we are.
:top marksMost of us fell for the Petrie bull**** on infrastructure, while relegation and 3 yes 3 seasons in the dross was served up to us.

There's always something we need to build or purchase, rather than spend it on the team.

Although i'd give this clown nothing to spend again.

A Hi-Bee
20-10-2019, 09:27 AM
It’s soul destroying. Why should we accept it anymore? Hibs used to be the focal point of mine and my mates whole week, we’d literally buzz for weeks about the next weekend we’d be on an awayday. Now I’m dodging home games on my ST and not being arsed about missing a semi final.

Hibs as always are a selling club with very little forward vision, a real reluctance to take a chance or gamble rightly or wrongly, its no use having all the facilities of a big club with pish on the park. I also now show my protest by just not going, we need a big change from the top down.

Hibernia&Alba
20-10-2019, 09:31 AM

A club our size in the Scottish game should never be relegated; it's infuriating, akin to Spurs or Everton going down in England every decade or so. No excuse for it.

pollution
20-10-2019, 11:35 AM
I fear we will never see the like of the Tornadoes again

12-14 guys bonded together each and everyone drilled and trained for their individual role within the team playing fast exciting entertaining attacking football the best brand of football the worlds ever seen

Each and every man fighting for the jersey a love of the club and a hatred of all things jambo and the ugly sisters

My old man used to say to me the only thing guaranteed about HIBS is they will always let you down

Sadly he never lived to see the Holy Grail

:cup::scarf:

You have hit the nail on the head with that.

All Hibs ever wanted to do was to win the Scottish Cup. Now that we have I sense a feeling of anti climax at the club and among supporters too.

I include myself in this. What is there left for us to do? We are over expectant and hyper critical. No matter who the owner is we have second rate investment - money talks

and we are dumb.

Get used to this. Your old man was right.

Cataplana
20-10-2019, 12:06 PM
I've learned nothing. Bring on the Staggies we are going to murder them!

Hector Mudflap
20-10-2019, 12:11 PM

This is where I am as well.
The feel good factor is well away and the looking forward to the weekend has dropped back to avoiding the radio (I work two Saturdays of every month) and then avoiding the TV and Sunday papers.
The football on show is eyebleedingly bad. I have Hibs TV (as crap as that now is also) and haven't even bothered to watch some of the games. I can not for the life of me wonder why we put up with it. For what its worth I also can't for the life of me wonder why people don't want to get Stubbs back. He is the guy that built the staff that built the structure that built the team that won us the cup playing UNARGUABLY the best consistent football seen at ER for THIRTY years plus. People on here saying "ah he failed at St Mirren and Rotherham" are the same people who say "get Jack Ross" when he failed at Sunderland with a budget way way way above ours in a crap league and that's after taking (in some peoples eyes) the best player we had with him.
Stubbs said himself the reason he "failed" at St Mirren are complex and that "the directors of the club" know exactly what happened there. St Mirren haven't exactly called him out on that.
I honestly believe that even giving Stubbs a contract till the end of the season won't make us any worse. Seriously we are dying again and NOTHING is being done.

PH just churns out the same crap dialogue after every game and NOTHING changes.

At least if we get relegated he will HAVE to go. Hows that for a hope?

heretoday
20-10-2019, 02:11 PM
I've learned nothing. Bring on the Staggies we are going to murder them!

That's the spirit.

Joe6-2
20-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Being a Hibby too for over 50 years, they have eventually worn me down and I am absolutely sick of being continually let down..
I always tried to be optimistic and look forward to next season, next season, and eventually we won that SC! But only to go round full circle again and back to total frustration!

Fife-Hibee
20-10-2019, 02:33 PM
We sit in front of our screens and have a whinge about it, but for what purpose? Unless we take real tangible action as a fan base to force a revolution of sorts, we'll forever be whinging about it in front of our screens. We get exactly what we tolerate.

Diclonius
20-10-2019, 02:34 PM

Just because it's happened before doesn't mean we should tolerate it.

erin go bragh
20-10-2019, 05:59 PM
Definitely time for change . Sick of watching this negative crap . Can’t even get excited about our semi final ( still not bought tickets)

emerald green
20-10-2019, 06:01 PM
After finally winning the Scottish cup and getting that monkey off the club and supporters backs
winning the Championship
4th in the Premier League
13,000 season tickets sold
money also coming in to the football department from donators to HSL
the stadium finished
a training centre which is the envy of most clubs

for Hibs to now be sitting back in the relegation play-off place in the league today is a disgrace, and there is no excuse for that.

SideBurns
20-10-2019, 06:21 PM
This is where I am as well.
The feel good factor is well away and the looking forward to the weekend has dropped back to avoiding the radio (I work two Saturdays of every month) and then avoiding the TV and Sunday papers.
The football on show is eyebleedingly bad. I have Hibs TV (as crap as that now is also) and haven't even bothered to watch some of the games. I can not for the life of me wonder why we put up with it. For what its worth I also can't for the life of me wonder why people don't want to get Stubbs back. He is the guy that built the staff that built the structure that built the team that won us the cup playing UNARGUABLY the best consistent football seen at ER for THIRTY years plus. People on here saying "ah he failed at St Mirren and Rotherham" are the same people who say "get Jack Ross" when he failed at Sunderland with a budget way way way above ours in a crap league and that's after taking (in some peoples eyes) the best player we had with him.
Stubbs said himself the reason he "failed" at St Mirren are complex and that "the directors of the club" know exactly what happened there. St Mirren haven't exactly called him out on that.
I honestly believe that even giving Stubbs a contract till the end of the season won't make us any worse. Seriously we are dying again and NOTHING is being done.

PH just churns out the same crap dialogue after every game and NOTHING changes.

At least if we get relegated he will HAVE to go. Hows that for a hope?

I wouldn't say it's impossible to argue against your theory that Stubbs had us playing the best fitba we've seen for 30 years. McLeish had 3 seasons, and Mowbray one and a bit, when Hibs were fantastic to watch (albeit, neither ultimately achieved what Stubbs did but equally both had Hibs playing superb stuff in the premier league rather than the championship). That said, I enjoyed the style of play and type of footballer we signed under Stubbs.

I'm not convinced he's the answer now but agree with your general point regarding the feel good factor disappearing, and want Hecky out. It's not working for him.

CMurdoch
20-10-2019, 06:27 PM

Yet we are.

I agree.
Those in charge over last century left us by the 1990's with a wrecked ground consisting of some auld huts and no money to put it right.
But that is now sorted and a great training facility has been added, we have no debt and 13,000 season ticket holders.
What could go possibly go wrong now? 5th at worst and European football every season once the coefficient is sorted.

Naw!!!! A buffoon is appointed and gets us into 2nd bottom place after 9 games.
It really is unbelievable.
I truly could have done better myself.
The recruitment team would have got me the players, the coaching staff would have coached them, i would have watched and then picked the team and it would have been 4th just behind Aberdeen. The fans would be laughing at Hearts in 2nd bottom and saying i was doin' okay for a no mark bawbag.

Keith_M
20-10-2019, 06:36 PM
A well run club wouldn't have to accept that "being **** again is just around the corner".

We have a decent stadium, and good training facilities. There are NO urgent infrastructure projects that we need to spend money on right now.

We won the cup, then were promoted and had record season tickets sales and crowds over three seasons.

Given all that, there is NO reason whatsoever to expect us to return to mediocrity... or for us a Fans to accept that.

superfurryhibby
20-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Can anyone explain what not accepting the current situation actually looks like?

I’m a bit fairweather in my support. I’ve had a season ticket the past few years, been to most Hampden trips these past 20 years, semi’s and finals. That said, I’m not going to Hampden this time. My close Hibby pals are pretty much in the same boat, we’re most likely going to watch it in the pub.

Fans vote with their wallets. The crowd we take through at the end of the months speaks volumes to me. That to me is not accepting the current situation. What else is there that we could do?

matty_f
20-10-2019, 06:41 PM
There's no excuse for us being this bad. We are debt free, have great crowds, a custom built training centre and a great stadium.

We should be able to expect, reasonably, to finish comfortably top 5 every season - that's on the basis that the Glasgow sides finish top two and there's not much to split us, the sheep, and the Duncans.

To be where we are now us appalling. It is unforgivable, really and there shouldn't be a soul at the club comfortable in their position right now.

From the outside looking in, the club's a shambles.

Ron Gordon needs to get the finger out and sort it out ASAP, and he should start with removing Heckingbotton as the top priority.

matty_f
20-10-2019, 06:42 PM
A well run club wouldn't have to accept that "being **** again is just around the corner".

We have a decent stadium, and good training facilities. There are NO urgent infrastructure projects that we need to spend money on right now.

We won the cup, then were promoted and had record season tickets sales and crowds over three seasons.

Given all that, there is NO reason whatsoever to expect us to return to mediocrity... or for us a Fans to accept that.

Completely agree.

Baldy Foghorn
20-10-2019, 08:51 PM
There's no excuse for us being this bad. We are debt free, have great crowds, a custom built training centre and a great stadium.

We should be able to expect, reasonably, to finish comfortably top 5 every season - that's on the basis that the Glasgow sides finish top two and there's not much to split us, the sheep, and the Duncans.

To be where we are now us appalling. It is unforgivable, really and there shouldn't be a soul at the club comfortable in their position right now.

From the outside looking in, the club's a shambles.

Ron Gordon needs to get the finger out and sort it out ASAP, and he should start with removing Heckingbotton as the top priority.

Agree, it's negligence is criminal. Some "jobs for the boys" though. IMO it's rotten

Forza Fred
20-10-2019, 10:20 PM
I’m afraid the current performances and league standing have completely eroded the ‘feel good’ factor that the club enjoyed for a while.

Hibs fans can understandably be guilty of feeling let down.

Ron needs to revolutionise things, or in 30 years time ourdescendants will be having the same conversation.

mcfly
20-10-2019, 10:24 PM
Somebody at hibs has to be bold, admit Heckingbottom appt has been a terrible mistake, pay him off and get a new man in.

1/4 way through the season. And 1 league win is relegation form.

We need to get an atmosphere back at Easter road it’s terrible at the moment

shamo9
20-10-2019, 10:51 PM
I'm annoyed and disappointed at everyone associated with the running of the club right now. We've fallen back into all of our old failings - soft, dull, disconnected from supporters, no communication or engagement from those in power.

Haven't been to a game since the Hearts match. Haven't enjoyed a match I've seen this season. Rapidly losing interest.

Joe6-2
20-10-2019, 11:16 PM
What can we do about it? What are we GOING to do about it?

fjosoo
21-10-2019, 07:10 AM
So very true i must be about the same age and I find it hard to recall back to back good seasons in the top flight.

BILLYHIBS
21-10-2019, 07:18 AM
:bye: