PDA

View Full Version : The Players

Pretty Boy
19-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Thare are many threads having a go at the manager and rightly so. Also a few having a go at individual players.

However as a group surely there has to be some collective responsibility? Where is the leadership? Who is demanding more from the group? Who is willing to take a game by the scruff of the neck and drag us through it?

Too many players are just coasting along and we are back to the days where the bond between players and fans is non existent. The club have to take some responsibility for that as a lot of the initiatives that helped that bond have disappeared (and had already done so well before the current awful run).

There was a lot of vitriol aimed at 1 or 2 players towards the end of Lennon's tenure but beyond that it has been easy to be a Hibs player in the last few years. Many ex players have commented we are a demanding fanbase but I'd argue we have good reason to be as we know where we should be when punching our weight. If players can't handle that pressure then they need to question whether they belong here.

The managers tactics may be crap, his demeanour may be uninspiring. However that doesn't excuse the number of individual errors and insipid performances from players that are also a huge reason for the number of points we are dropping.

Heisenberg
19-10-2019, 07:10 PM
The players are being told to pump the ball up front from wide positions and from the back. It’s dreadful to watch. Can’t believe we are back in this position again.

hibeerealist
19-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Thare are many threads having a go at the manager and rightly so. Also a few having a go at individual players.

However as a group surely there has to be some collective responsibility? Where is the leadership? Who is demanding more from the group? Who is willing to take a game by the scruff of the neck and drag us through it?

Too many players are just coasting along and we are back to the days where the bond between players and fans is non existent. The club have to take some responsibility for that as a lot of the initiatives that helped that bond have disappeared (and had already done so well before the current awful run).

There was a lot of vitriol aimed at 1 or 2 players towards the end of Lennon's tenure but beyond that it has been easy to be a Hibs player in the last few years. Many ex players have commented we are a demanding fanbase but I'd argue we have good reason to be as we know where we should be when punching our weight. If players can't handle that pressure then they need to question whether they belong here.

The managers tactics may be crap, his demeanour may be uninspiring. However that doesn't excuse the number of individual errors and insipid performances from players that are also a huge reason for the number of points we are dropping.

It can often be difficult to burst a gut for someone you don’t like or lack respect for.

CallumLaidlaw
19-10-2019, 07:15 PM
Said after just a couple of league games that none of the signings seemed to have much personality. When you think we had players like Bartley, Mcginn, Cummings. Boyle and Gray are 2 that still have that personality on the pitch so the sooner they’re back the better.

The manager signed players with all similar personalities - nice, bland guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crab apple
19-10-2019, 07:15 PM
The manager signed nine players this summer, spending our largest ever transfer budget. The manager chose to start the season with no CDMs in the squad. The manager picks the team. The manager sets out the tactics. The buck stops with the manager.

GreenCastle
19-10-2019, 07:20 PM
The manager signed nine players this summer, spending our largest ever transfer budget. The manager chose to start the season with no CDMs in the squad. The manager picks the team. The manager sets out the tactics. The buck stops with the manager.

Yup and his loser of an assistant.

The players can’t stand the way we play right now and as a result they are performing badly and not enjoying their football.

You could hear them arguing on the pitch today and we rarely play any decent football like we have witnessed over last few years.

It’s Levein hoofball from keeper most of the time and lots of sideways passing.

No one taking the game by the scruff of the neck. It’s hard to pick out a man of the match as nearly every game everyone is the same and pretty average.

I’m not sure a new manager will even improve the new players brought in.

We are also missing McGregor and Gray 2 leaders and Boyle who has been our best players before injury 1.

Not one of our players value has increased since Hecky has taken over.

Pretty Boy
19-10-2019, 07:25 PM
Yup and his loser of an assistant.

The players can’t stand the way we play right now and as a result they are performing badly and not enjoying their football.

You could hear them arguing on the pitch today and we rarely play any decent football like we have witnessed over last few years.

It’s Levein hoofball from keeper most of the time and lots of sideways passing.

No one taking the game by the scruff of the neck. It’s hard to pick out a man of the match as nearly every game everyone is the same and pretty average.

I’m not sure a new manager will even improve the new players brought in.

We are also missing McGregor and Gray 2 leaders and Boyle who has been our best players before injury 1.

Not one of our players value has increased since Hecky has taken over.

Things may have changed in the last couple of weeks. However last I heard the players still liked, respected and as a group were behind Heckingbottom.

I accept that's not the same as saying they like the way he has them playing but there must be a degree of crossover.

GreenCastle
19-10-2019, 07:38 PM
Exactly - he’s not a bully or a bad person.

But today you often heard them shout to one another their frustrations plus body language of a few was very visible.

Even when subs are made you can look at players reactions as they have no idea who will be hooked.

He’s ruined Murray’s, Shaw and Mackies confidence.

He’s dropped or played out of position Allan, Flo and Marciano at some point this season (arguably our 3 best players - with 2 of them probably going to leave due to the mess being made).

Even the reliable LS and PH don’t look right.

Last years player of season has been poor this season till played in his best position today (and scored) but then moved when subs were made.

Even Horgan played fine last season and has struggled this season.

New players just haven’t improved us at all or contributed enough in any key moments.

Tyler Durden
19-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Said after just a couple of league games that none of the signings seemed to have much personality. When you think we had players like Bartley, Mcginn, Cummings. Boyle and Gray are 2 that still have that personality on the pitch so the sooner they’re back the better.

The manager signed players with all similar personalities - nice, bland guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on.

It’s often said that a team will play in it’s managers image - team ethos reflects the manager. Heckingbottom appears to have no strong footballing principles or personality. Very much like Fenlon and Calderwood.

No leadership at all.

WoreTheGreen
19-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Hi -beige

The Modfather
19-10-2019, 08:01 PM
A new manager could get more out of the current crop, but not sure dramatically more. We need another squad overhaul IMO.

A spine of Marciano/Maxwell, Porteous, Allan, Boyle (depending on how his injuries have affected him) & Kamberi is a good starting point. I’d genuinely not lose any sleep over any of the others leaving. Some I’d move on before others, e.g. Slivka, Newell & particularly Horgan, but the rest are replaceable or not the players they were.

blackpoolhibs
19-10-2019, 09:08 PM
I think we have a lot of players who are just bang average, and that is why we are simply not good enough. You can blame individual players, but you have to blame the manager as he assembled 9 of this lot and ultimately he has to carry the can.

We have signed lots of players who are a downgrade in quality from the last few seasons, its just that simple in my opinion.

Captain Trips
19-10-2019, 09:10 PM
1 word for me clusterfu@k

Carheenlea
19-10-2019, 09:13 PM
It can often be difficult to burst a gut for someone you don’t like or lack respect for.

You burst a gut for yourself before doing for managers or fans. Players with heart do anyway.

B.H.F.C
19-10-2019, 09:17 PM
Apart from the fact that some of them just aren’t very good, our senior players are offering absolutely nothing at the moment.

There are guys there who have played hundreds of games for the club. They should understand that, even if we don’t win, there is an expectation that we need to try and win. They should be trying to pull the rest along but, at the moment, they’re showing every bit as little drive, urgency and determination to win as the rest are.

Steve Austin
19-10-2019, 09:22 PM
:top marks
Some players confidence totally shot to pieces,I’m at a loss to what’s going on at EM?.
Maybe all on videos and shape ,where is this high tempo and high press attractive football I’m meant to be watching!.

CloudSquall
19-10-2019, 09:26 PM
It seemed under Stubbs and Lennon the majority of players that came in pretty much instantly "got" Hibs and the fans, Omeonga being a good example.

Even with no previous connection to the club players like Bartley came in and were responsible for a total shift in the derby dynamic, for once it was Hearts looking like they had instantly shat it.

Over one summer however the club has pissed all that up the wall with signings like Vela who look incredibly non-arsed and look like they'd rather be anywhere else.

We seem to have replaced do or die characters who possessed a certain swagger with a group of sub standard signings that have nothing about them whatsoever.

I don't think the likes of Vela "respect" the league here, I have a feeling they thought it was going to be a year or two of pissing about before a move down south.

18Craig75
19-10-2019, 09:35 PM
It seems to me that most of the players are unfit. Jogging when they should be sprinting. Some worse than others but collectively as a team you wouldn’t say we’re that athletic. Another PH false promise.

FifeHibs
19-10-2019, 09:39 PM
It seems to me that most of the players are unfit. Jogging when they should be sprinting. Some worse than others but collectively as a team you wouldn’t say we’re that athletic. Another PH false promise.

Its the running into positions that it's evident they can't receive a pass which is the most frustrating, Vela is the worst offender but Newell and James are not far behind

GreenCastle
19-10-2019, 10:01 PM
It seemed under Stubbs and Lennon the majority of players that came in pretty much instantly "got" Hibs and the fans, Omeonga being a good example.

Even with no previous connection to the club players like Bartley came in and were responsible for a total shift in the derby dynamic, for once it was Hearts looking like they had instantly shat it.

Over one summer however the club has pissed all that up the wall with signings like Vela who look incredibly non-arsed and look like they'd rather be anywhere else.

We seem to have replaced do or die characters who possessed a certain swagger with a group of sub standard signings that have nothing about them whatsoever.

I don't think the likes of Vela "respect" the league here, I have a feeling they thought it was going to be a year or two of pissing about before a move down south.

100% agreed.

I miss Omeonga and Bartley.

Players who got Hibs.

Relegation season..that team had more points than this team at this stage..

Ryan McGivern - Tom James
Ryan Nelson - Adam Jackson
Tudor Jones - Vela
Cairney- Horgan
James Collins or Vine - Doidge
Danny Haynes - Newell

Similarities...

Stuart93
19-10-2019, 10:21 PM
Heckingbottom has previous in recruiting a big bulk of players over the summer, getting the punt and most of the players he brought in being punted not long after

It’s no coincidence this is heading the same way