PDA

View Full Version : Josh Vela - No heart No passion No desire

FifeHibs
19-10-2019, 05:46 PM
The lack of heart and desire by Vela to win a 50:50 lead to the goal 2 minutes later.

Offers absolutely nothing in the midfield, runs into crowded positions where passes are not on.

He is as good as a man down.

Allant1981
19-10-2019, 05:49 PM
I actually forgot he was on the park for a bit, he was not involved at all today apart from a couple of headers

supermcginn
19-10-2019, 05:56 PM
The new Matt thornhill. Absolutely rotten.

Franck Stanton
19-10-2019, 05:56 PM
Does seem a bit lost, was expecting more from him to be honest.

The 90+2
19-10-2019, 05:57 PM
The new Matt thornhill. Absolutely rotten.

Fair description tbh.

He will be playing for Hamilton when he finishes taking decent wages off us for three years.

we are hibs
19-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Hes just a nothing player. Does nothing well. Does nothing horrendously. Just the defintion of meh.

truehibernian
19-10-2019, 06:00 PM
He may not have those qualities (and I agree with you) but more importantly he isn't a good football player - you need the basics and he doesn't have them not does he excel at them as a midfielder. Lacks fitness, lacks positional awareness, lacks effort. Without those, you could be the most technically gifted footballer ever yet still fail - and he has failed in abundance. As has Newell when I've seen him - similar traits - doesn't do the basics of football well and if you don't your natural talent with the ball won't flourish.

green with envy
19-10-2019, 06:00 PM
I actually forgot he was on the park for a bit, he was not involved at all today apart from a couple of headers

As did I.

Fife-Hibee
19-10-2019, 06:02 PM
Fair description tbh.

He will be playing for Hamilton when he finishes taking decent wages off us for three years.

and they'll still get the better of us more often than not.

The 90+2
19-10-2019, 06:02 PM

Sadly, aye.

emerald green
19-10-2019, 06:10 PM
Vela is very much indicative of the mediocrity of the summer signings at the club.

Hiber-nation
19-10-2019, 06:15 PM
The lack of heart and desire by Vela to win a 50:50 lead to the goal 2 minutes later.

Offers absolutely nothing in the midfield, runs into crowded positions where passes are not on.

Dreadful today but was positively dynamic compared to James who looked as if he just didn't want to be there.

CloudSquall
19-10-2019, 06:15 PM
I'd love the recruitment team and management to explain the thinking behind the Vela signing, to think we had a midfield of McGeouch, McGinn and Allan not so long ago..

Jones28
19-10-2019, 06:16 PM
Add to that no final product, no leadership qualities, no physical presence.

GreenCastle
19-10-2019, 06:17 PM

Said the same thing. The mess before the penalty and his attempt or lack of attempt to win the ball was a joke.

Watched him during 2nd half at times and I honestly think he is faking it at times. Hiding from ball and not tracking runners.

Add in the constant sideways passes we have a very average player.

Made Liam Craig look good a few weeks ago. Simply not good enough for us to move forward.

MWHIBBIES
19-10-2019, 06:32 PM

Still? We'd won the last 4 Vs them before today.

Golden Bear
19-10-2019, 06:36 PM
If I remember correctly the guy came here with the reputation of being a once very promising player who then lost his passion and desire for the game. It sounds like his circumstances have not changed. Another dubious signing in other words.

mcfly
19-10-2019, 06:48 PM
He will be moved on in Jan when new manager comes in.

Robbo6-2
19-10-2019, 06:53 PM
Pretends he wants the ball and hides behind the opposition.

One of the most in effectual centre mids we have had in years.

Terrible signing

Scotty Leither
19-10-2019, 06:54 PM
I don't like singling players out, but what role does this guy fulfill in a football team?

Is he a defensive midfielder, or was he signed to link the play between defence and attack?

He can't get about the park sharply enough to close players down, he doesn't dovetail with the forwards, and he doesn't have a big pass on him, so i'm actually baffled as to what he's meant to be doing - I wonder if our manager could tell us, as he obviously signed him for a reason???

The Harp Awakes
19-10-2019, 07:01 PM
I honestly have no idea how good a footballer he is or he is not. Vela never seems to be involved on the pitch in anything noteworthy and the game passes him by. His desire and motivation appears to be 0%, which in part could be due to having such an uninspiring Head Coach.

J-C
19-10-2019, 07:45 PM
I said exactly the same after our last home game, runs up and down without really doing anything.

Robbo6-2
19-10-2019, 07:47 PM
3 year deal as well.

Id imagine he would be one of our highest earners as well.

He will be away hame not giving a **** about our club.

GreenCastle
19-10-2019, 07:49 PM
I said exactly the same after our last home game, runs up and down without really doing anything.

Noticed it his first game for us.

Even felt Slivka actually offered more but thought he wasn’t match fit so would surely get sharper.

Now several games later I’m struggling to see what our unbalanced midfield actually bring to the table.

We would have been better with

Bartley

Allan Mallan

Or even 3-5-2

Milligan and Bartley

Allan

With wide players and 2 strikers

Gatecrasher
19-10-2019, 07:53 PM
3 year deal as well.

Too many of these wasters got long term deals from us. Our recruitment has been a shambles.

J-C
19-10-2019, 07:57 PM
Noticed it his first game for us.

Even felt Slivka actually offered more but thought he wasn’t match fit so would surely get sharper.

Now several games later I’m struggling to see what our unbalanced midfield actually bring to the table.

We would have been better with

Bartley

Allan Mallan

Or even 3-5-2

Milligan and Bartley

Allan

With wide players and 2 strikers

Someone posted a link to Bolton fans site and it didn't make great reading, Boltonhibs didn't have good things to say about him and he's seen him a lot.

Robbo6-2
19-10-2019, 08:03 PM
Someone posted a link to Bolton fans site and it didn't make great reading, Boltonhibs didn't have good things to say about him and he's seen him a lot.

Sure BoltonHibs took abit stick for saying it too.

Few folk need to wake up and smell the coffee. Our manager and the players he has brought in are not good enough.

Setting aside Heckys really poor development of our youngsters which in itself is a sackable offence, his time here has been a disaster.

MagicSwirlingShip
19-10-2019, 08:22 PM
An absolute passenger today. Did he touch the ball in any way positively?

Onceinawhile
19-10-2019, 08:46 PM
He'll not be moving up in the world after us that for sure.

3 year deal? 50 appearances max.

Hi Heid Yin
19-10-2019, 09:37 PM
I gave our recruitment team the benefit of the doubt as each summer signing became known.

I tried to rationalise my initial gut feeling that we were buying "a poor-to-average standard player who would struggle in the SPL" by telling myself that the professionals at our club knew better than me.

Besides which, what were the odds of the bulk of the signings being that bad, and of Heckingbottom failing to drill them into a formidable, hard-to-beat, entertaining, high-pressing and high-scoring team?

Now, months down the line, as we sit with but one league win under our belt, I can see that I was right to feel "initially underwhelmed and disappointed".

It also beggars belief that Leeann not only sanctioned these signings but commited our club to honouring long-term contracts to boot.

B.H.F.C
19-10-2019, 09:41 PM
Terrible player. Actually doesn’t do anything. He runs about a bit but never in to a position to receive the ball. And he just pretends he wants close down the opposition, he doesn’t actually do it.

CloudSquall
19-10-2019, 10:00 PM
3 year deal as well.

Who in the blue hell sanctioned a 3 year contract?

Jesus wept..

Carheenlea
19-10-2019, 10:15 PM
If someone asked me how Vela played today I’d have to tell them that I’ve no idea. Remember nothing of note about his performance.

FifeHibs
19-10-2019, 10:16 PM
Who in the blue hell sanctioned a 3 year contract?

Jesus wept..

Hopefully some league 1 team give us his signing on fee back in January or June. He is the one of the worst players I have ever seen for contributing nothing to a game

truehibernian
19-10-2019, 10:20 PM
Hopefully some league 1 team give us his signing on fee back in January or June. He is the one of the worst players I have ever seen for contributing nothing to a game

He's not even good enough for Scottish League One - awful player :aok:

FifeHibs
19-10-2019, 10:24 PM
He's not even good enough for Scottish League One - awful player :aok:

Today was the one of the worst performances I have witnessed in a long time from a player. He ran into spaces which were impossible to pass to, he stood 10 yards from team mates, cost us the goal after pulling out a challenge.

Being kind to him would be calling him woeful.

penihibs
19-10-2019, 10:30 PM
Sure BoltonHibs took abit stick for saying it too.

Few folk need to wake up and smell the coffee. Our manager and the players he has brought in are not good enough.

Setting aside Heckys really poor development of our youngsters which in itself is a sackable offence, his time here has been a disaster.

Your bang on buddy,get him to ****!!!

Stuart93
19-10-2019, 10:46 PM
He’s the epitome of everything that’s wrong with our team just now.

He couldn’t give a ****

hibsboy69
19-10-2019, 10:53 PM
We’ve got this imposter in the centre of midfield and Hearts have got Glen Whelan.........who still gets a game at international level

Suns it up I’m afraid !

HibsNutter
19-10-2019, 10:55 PM
What does he contribute?

Dashing Bob S
20-10-2019, 01:35 AM
When you think he was practically a straight swap for Marvin B our penchant for self abuse is pretty damn impressive.

WhileTheChief..
20-10-2019, 07:33 AM
If someone asked me how Vela played today I’d have to tell them that I’ve no idea. Remember nothing of note about his performance.

He’s been the invisible man since day 1.

Pretty much everyone agrees that he offers nothing, apart from PH of course.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2019, 07:37 AM
I gave our recruitment team the benefit of the doubt as each summer signing became known.

I tried to rationalise my initial gut feeling that we were buying "a poor-to-average standard player who would struggle in the SPL" by telling myself that the professionals at our club knew better than me.

Besides which, what were the odds of the bulk of the signings being that bad, and of Heckingbottom failing to drill them into a formidable, hard-to-beat, entertaining, high-pressing and high-scoring team?

Now, months down the line, as we sit with but one league win under our belt, I can see that I was right to feel "initially underwhelmed and disappointed".

It also beggars belief that Leeann not only sanctioned these signings but commited our club to honouring long-term contracts to boot.

I dont blame Dempster for backing her manager, that is what you do when you appoint one.

Yet when it's clear you and the man you appointed are wrong, that is when you clearly need to address this and change it as quickly as you can.

eastmainsmsh
20-10-2019, 12:08 PM
is English football overrated or overpriced transfer wise as Vela was a 5 million rated midfielder couple years ago

BILLYHIBS
20-10-2019, 12:16 PM
is English football overrated or overpriced transfer wise as Vela was a 5 million rated midfielder couple years ago

Yes

Alfred E Newman
20-10-2019, 12:34 PM
He's a con man. Runs about trying to look as if he's involved and contributes nothing. I'll bet he couldn't believe his luck when Hibs offered him a 3 year deal.

we are hibs
20-10-2019, 12:41 PM

You arent allowed to say engish football is overrated on here

FilipinoHibs
20-10-2019, 12:49 PM
You arent allowed to say engish football is overrated on here

Think £1m. Liverpool interested whe he was younger.

Wilson
20-10-2019, 12:52 PM
I dont blame Dempster for backing her manager, that is what you do when you appoint one.

Yet when it's clear you and the man you appointed are wrong, that is when you clearly need to address this and change it as quickly as you can.

I blame Dempster for allowing us to fall into the exact same pattern as before she was appointed? Buying mediocre players in bulk didn't work before Dempster and it hasn't worked this time.

After having banged on about structure and direction. About having a director of football to manage the transition between head coaches. What happened?

We went from a decent squad looking forward to welcoming back Scott Allan to this. A couple of decent players in key positions was all that was needed.

She is culpable.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2019, 12:57 PM
I blame Dempster for allowing us to fall into the exact same pattern as before she was appointed? Buying mediocre players in bulk didn't work before Dempster and it hasn't worked this time.

After having banged on about structure and direction. About having a director of football to manage the transition between head coaches. What happened?

We went from a decent squad looking forward to welcoming back Scott Allan to this. A couple of decent players in key positions was all that was needed.

She is culpable.
I'm surprised you think Dempster is the one signing all these mediocre players, i think its the manager who signs them on recommendation, and his own targets.

Dempster cant appoint someone then interfere, until such times like now.

superfurryhibby
20-10-2019, 01:05 PM

You’ve pretty much summarised where I’m at just now.

You have to assume that she followed advice from the well paid individuals who’s duties included overseeing the recruitment of players?

Agree again. Heckingbottom’s initial start was promising. He got wins out a side that had lost the habit of winning, then it all went a bit tits up after the split. By now it is apparent to one and all that Hibs are in trouble and that he can’t change what’s happening, or not enough for it to satisfy the fans.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes at Hibs, but this seasons signings have been our worst summer window since the days of relegation, totalling uninspired (Allan aside, and even then he’s struggling to have an impact with the dross around him).

Some of these guys might yet confound the critics, but I’m not convinced we weren’t back to scraping the bottom of the barrel, the approach that pretty much defines much of the past 15 years. I can understand that the previous ownership would go canny as they obviously knew they were selling up, but we’re losing momentum. Failure to win the next two games and an exit from the cup should really be enough.

mcfly
20-10-2019, 01:16 PM
I'm surprised you think Dempster is the one signing all these mediocre players, i think its the manager who signs them on recommendation, and his own targets.

Yeh but she told us we had a very successful transfer window.

That statement isn’t looking too clever now..

She is under real pressure cause she appointed this manager

lyonhibs
20-10-2019, 01:16 PM
We’ve got this imposter in the centre of midfield and Hearts have got Glen Whelan.........who still gets a game at international level

Suns it up I’m afraid !

Have you looked at the league table of late? Whelan isn't exactly pulling up trees at Hearts so I'm not sure what is exactly summed up by your comparison.

Vela isn't good enough, I think that's fairly obvious but Hearts are no better than us on a week in, week out basis, Whelan included.

Wilson
20-10-2019, 01:17 PM

Well the signings are either a product of the structure she boasted of implementing. Remember all the stuff about copying the Southampton model? Or they are a result of abandoning or failing to adhere to the structure. The result is the same. We are back to our old failings. Back to mediocrity. Not on Petrie's watch this time. On hers.

cabbageandribs1875
20-10-2019, 01:27 PM
Well the signings are either a product of the structure she boasted of implementing. Remember all the stuff about copying the Southampton model? Or they are a result of abandoning or failing to adhere to the structure. The result is the same. We are back to our old failings. Back to mediocrity. Not on Petrie's watch this time. On hers.

tbf southampton are themselves only out of a relegation spot at the moment on goal difference, so we are copying them in a sense

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2019, 01:37 PM

I dont remember any Chairman EVER telling his club that they'd had a sheite transfer window, its not the done thing especially when you are backing the man YOU had put in place.

I will agree she's under pressure, and rightly so, as each day she keeps him at the club is another day we are floundering under a useless manager that she appointed.

J-C
20-10-2019, 02:08 PM

TBF we all thought Newell and Vela looked decent players and came from mid table championship clubs, I don't think anyone expected them to be so below average Championship players though.

number9dream
20-10-2019, 05:41 PM
Whittaker would do a better job than Vela in front of the defence.
Murray would do a better job than Horgan or Middleton.
Kamberi or Shaw would do a better job than Doidge.

Sammy7nil
20-10-2019, 08:46 PM
When you think he was practically a straight swap for Marvin B our penchant for self abuse is pretty damn impressive.

Need to stop rolling out this nonsense Marvin started 17 of our last 70 games while he was there. Vela may not be very good but Marv is not the solution.

BoomtownHibees
20-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Need to stop rolling out this nonsense Marvin started 17 of our last 70 games while he was there. Vela may not be very good but Marv is not the solution.

Maybe not the “solution” however would be a lot better than the options we currently have

hibby rae
20-10-2019, 09:03 PM
Maybe not the “solution” however would be a lot better than the options we currently have

Certainly when we played the last derby.

GreenOnions
20-10-2019, 09:18 PM
Whittaker would do a better job than Vela in front of the defence.
Murray would do a better job than Horgan or Middleton.
Kamberi or Shaw would do a better job than Doidge.

I agree re Whittaker. I think he lacks the pace now for full back but playing centrally would suit him. He has the physical attributes and excellent technique. He can also pass the ball. He has played defensive midfield once for us recently and I thought he did well. Certainly better than our other options there at the moment IMO

BoomtownHibees
20-10-2019, 09:24 PM
I agree re Whittaker. I think he lacks the pace now for full back but playing centrally would suit him. He has the physical attributes and excellent technique. He can also pass the ball. He has played defensive midfield once for us recently and I thought he did well. Certainly better than our other options there at the moment IMO

Got told today that SW has been told he’s no longer part of the plans.

J-C
20-10-2019, 09:34 PM

Today Livingston got beat but I saw Marv have a shot from the edge of the box and a header from a corner that nearly went in, he used to get a nose bleed if he went near the 18yd line, might not be the full answer but he's a battler and a leader at times, something we're lacking.

Sammy7nil
20-10-2019, 09:42 PM
Today Livingston got beat but I saw Marv have a shot from the edge of the box and a header from a corner that nearly went in, he used to get a nose bleed if he went near the 18yd line, might not be the full answer but he's a battler and a leader at times, something we're lacking.

He very rarely played in the last two years other than derbies no one was calling for him to be in the team.

Smartie
20-10-2019, 10:10 PM

The same guy who gave arguably a motm performance 3 games ago and hasn't had the chance to blot his copy book since?

BoomtownHibees
20-10-2019, 10:12 PM
The same guy who gave arguably a motm performance 3 games ago and hasn't had the chance to blot his copy book since?

That’s him

Greenio
21-10-2019, 04:15 AM
Prob because he'd played the most - but I think Vela has been the worst of our signings.

I'd rather he just get stuck in and make mistakes if that has to happen - but he's really struggling to make an impact and just looks invisible, which is infuriating for everyone watching.

I'm not going to start saying he doesn't care for the club or anything tho. Unfair to make that call unless you actually know

But yeah, just a total passenger at the moment.

GreenOnions
21-10-2019, 06:39 AM

If that's the case it's bizarre. I would accept full-back is asking too much of SW these days but he's shown before he can play centrally in front of the back four.

I would have him in there now as a first pick alongside Hallberg.

BILLYHIBS
21-10-2019, 07:09 AM

Nuts!

If true

MOM versus Celtic two weeks ago now surplus to requirements

Hecky out!

JimBHibees
21-10-2019, 07:19 AM
Nuts!

If true

MOM versus Celtic two weeks ago now surplus to requirements

Hecky out!

Incredible if true

Paisley Hibby
21-10-2019, 07:19 AM
Vela is very much indicative of the mediocrity of the summer signings at the club.

But this can't be right can it? I seem to remember loads of posts on here telling us what a great signing he would be.....

we are hibs
21-10-2019, 07:51 AM
This should be whittakers last season at hibs as a player. For every performance like celtic you get one like motherwell. He simply isnt reliable and hasnt been since he came back. A decent wage that could be spent elsewhere (under a different manager hopefully)

RossScott1991
26-10-2019, 05:32 PM
This guy is probably up there with one of my least favourite Hibs players ever. He does absolutely nothing, genuinely forgot he was on the park at times. He to me sums up everything wrong with us as a club at the moment.

Uninspiring, Boring footballer with no heart or drive about them.

Actually worse than the likes of Liam Craig and Brian Kerr

hfc rd
26-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Makes Malaury Martin look good

Speedway
26-10-2019, 05:45 PM

Our plans to be relegated?

FifeHibs
26-10-2019, 05:51 PM
The imposter spends the whole game jogging into non existent spaces.
Sure he is scared of his own shadow.....

truehibernian
26-10-2019, 05:54 PM
This should be whittakers last season at hibs as a player. For every performance like celtic you get one like motherwell. He simply isnt reliable and hasnt been since he came back. A decent wage that could be spent elsewhere (under a different manager hopefully)

This should be Whittaker's, Hanlon's, and Lewy's last season at Hibs if being brutally honest and unsentimental - let alone the players like Vela, Newell and Doidge.

Fergos
26-10-2019, 05:56 PM
He was brilliant today - when he ran full tilt to get the ball for a thrown in at the East....before disappearing again ala running into rubbish position to receive the ball as he isn’t in the slightest bit interested in battling or giving a toss.

GGTTH

LaMotta
27-10-2019, 12:40 AM
This guy is probably up there with one of my least favourite Hibs players ever. He does absolutely nothing, genuinely forgot he was on the park at times. He to me sums up everything wrong with us as a club at the moment.

Uninspiring, Boring footballer with no heart or drive about them.

Actually worse than the likes of Liam Craig and Brian Kerr

:agree::agree::agree:

FifeHibs
09-11-2019, 08:53 PM
What a difference with 11 committed players on the pitch. Is the ghost injured or does Eddie May et al see what the fans have been watching with him.

SMAXXA
09-11-2019, 09:04 PM
What a difference with 11 committed players on the pitch. Is the ghost injured or does Eddie May et al see what the fans have been watching with him.

Any need to slaughter a Hibs player when we have had a good day and got the win? Where’s that Hibs class thread.......

The 90+2
09-11-2019, 09:15 PM

Why on earth after a great day Hibernian wise you would look up a Vela thread? Maybe he isn’t good enough but it’s oerhaps for another time.

Smartie
09-11-2019, 09:40 PM
Why on earth after a great day Hibernian wise you would look up a Vela thread? Maybe he isn’t good enough but it’s oerhaps for another time.

Today surely showed that it’s time for a clean slate for everyone.

Doidge and Newell have taken pelters so far this season and they were 2 of our main men today. Others, like Slivka and Hanlon have come in for some serious criticism throughout their time with us in spite of putting in a good few excellent performances.

I fully accept that Vela hasn’t impressed much so far but he should get as much chance as anyone to show what he can do with the shackles off.

SMAXXA
09-11-2019, 09:41 PM

Bizarre man, there probably a dozen more relevant topics to post about after today but yet another poster has to post some ***** about a guy that wasn’t even in the squad.

Glad am not the only one who thought this post was a joke.

Joe6-2
09-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Did anyone hear what he had to say in his Alba interview?

SMAXXA
09-11-2019, 09:45 PM

Who

Sammy7nil
09-11-2019, 09:51 PM

Doidge and Newell have taken pelters so far this season and they were 2 of our main men today. Others, like Slivka and Hanlon have come in for some serious criticism throughout their time with us in spite of putting in a good few excellent performances.

I fully accept that Vela hasn’t impressed much so far but he should get as much chance as anyone to show what he can do with the shackles off.

Yip let's give a chance but he needs to step next as his chances are dwindling.

BILLYHIBS
09-11-2019, 09:54 PM
Will the real Josh Vela please stand up now the shackles are off

Everyone starts with a clean slate

Carheenlea
09-11-2019, 09:54 PM
We sensibly chose one of Hallberg or Vela today - Hallberg got the nod and performed admirably. That’s not to say we write off Vela, but we know playing both doesn’t work.

tamig
09-11-2019, 10:02 PM

Very bad patter. Absolutely no need.

Deansy
09-11-2019, 10:22 PM

From what I can remember of it, it was along the lines of how being unable to hold onto a lead was maybe a mental-thing but it was something 'We'll eventually beat' and that if it wasn't for this mental-thing 'we'd probably be third or fourth in the league' !. Not once did he say anything about his own 'form' or how he personally felt he had played so far in his time with us, no mention of how much he had 'contributed' to our current league-place !. He also said something about the standard of our game but 've forgotten exactly what it was.

It's not word-for-word but as I said it's along the lines of - similar with Scott Allan's response to how he felt about today's game -

'Well, as you can see, the players we have here are more used to attacking football than the defensive stuff' !

Touch of the 'Yah-boo - sucks to be you' to Hecky I felt - great stuff !!

FifeHibs
09-11-2019, 10:31 PM
deleted

No need for the personnel attack.

Iggy Pope
09-11-2019, 10:35 PM

Course, it’s his own thread. Grim behaviour.

SMAXXA
09-11-2019, 10:36 PM
No need for the personnel attack.

What about the comments in relation to your post? What’s your thoughts there?

stoneyburn hibs
09-11-2019, 10:38 PM

When all said and done, does it really matter?

Iggy Pope
09-11-2019, 10:42 PM

Nah. It doesn’t.

SMAXXA
09-11-2019, 10:42 PM

Isn’t the whole point of a forum to debate your opinions? Would be pretty boring folk just posting something then radio silence, especially when the poster in question started the thread as has been pointed out. So yes in the interests of what this platform is for I think it does matter or do you disagree?

Hibbyradge
09-11-2019, 10:45 PM
Nah. It doesn’t.

Nothing really matters.

At all.

FifeHibs
09-11-2019, 10:50 PM
Course, it’s his own thread. Grim behaviour.

Grim behaviour? can you please elaborate.

My point was that what a difference it was having 11 committed players to play for us toady rather than Vela who has shown nothing this season that shows other wise.

Did you witness Hamilton away, Ross County back turning or The semi last week.

stoneyburn hibs
09-11-2019, 11:00 PM
Isn’t the whole point of a forum to debate your opinions? Would be pretty boring folk just posting something then radio silence, especially when the poster in question started the thread as has been pointed out. So yes in the interests of what this platform is for I think it does matter or do you disagree?

No I don't disagree, absolutely all about opinions. good luck with said poster.

Fire away, imo I think it's pointless on this thread,

stoneyburn hibs
09-11-2019, 11:04 PM
Nothing really matters.

At all.

Yawn

Mr Grieves
09-11-2019, 11:17 PM
All our players deserve a clean slate post Heckingbottom

FifeHibs
09-11-2019, 11:24 PM

My thoughts are the Josh Vela has not contributed throughout the season. The 11 players today battled heroically in a stadium where we have struggled for many a season.
Slivka and Newall gave a far better performance in the middle than Vela has all season.

Witnessing Vela shrink out of a tackle at Hamilton, turn his back on the Ross County equaliser are traits off a player whom should not have started at Hampden last Saturday. After ghosting 45 mins at Hampden he was subbed.

Today we looked more solid in midfield.

All my comment was is he injured or had Eddie May saw what a majority of fsns had been watching? Because Cluelessbottom seemed to think he was a star performer

What are your thoughts on Josh Vela contribution to th Hibs this season?

SMAXXA
09-11-2019, 11:34 PM
My thoughts are the Josh Vela has not contributed throughout the season. The 11 players today battled heroically in a stadium where we have struggled for many a season.
Slivka and Newall gave a far better performance in the middle than Vela has all season.

Witnessing Vela shrink out of a tackle at Hamilton, turn his back on the Ross County equaliser are traits off a player whom should not have started at Hampden last Saturday. After ghosting 45 mins at Hampden he was subbed.

Today we looked more solid in midfield.

All my comment was is he injured or had Eddie May saw what a majority of fsns had been watching? Because Cluelessbottom seemed to think he was a star performer

What are your thoughts on Josh Vela contribution to th Hibs this season?

Thanks for the reply. I’m not going to say vela has been a success so far i think he has done ok in games but others I agree he’s let himself down. I thibk the examples you outline above are valid and factual but it doesn’t stop with him you could label mistakes that cost us goals at the likes of Porteous who wouldn’t get anywhere near the stick vela has for his mistakes. Not comparing the 2 as players btw as I thing Porto will be a superstar for us just pointing out that we can lay the blame at players doors on lots of occasions this season, and honestly vela wouldn’t be my first to criticise.

I was more perplexed by the fact you felt the need to post about him after a really positive day for Hibs, just felt bizarre and uncalled for imo.

FifeHibs
09-11-2019, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. I’m not going to say vela has been a success so far i think he has done ok in games but others I agree he’s let himself down. I thibk the examples you outline above are valid and factual but it doesn’t stop with him you could label mistakes that cost us goals at the likes of Porteous who wouldn’t get anywhere near the stick vela has for his mistakes. Not comparing the 2 as players btw as I thing Porto will be a superstar for us just pointing out that we can lay the blame at players doors on lots of occasions this season, and honestly vela wouldn’t be my first to criticise.

I was more perplexed by the fact you felt the need to post about him after a really positive day for Hibs, just felt bizarre and uncalled for imo.

I have been on other posts tonight highlighting there were 11 players who heriocallly battled for the short today. Perth has never been an easy ground to pick up points for us throughout the years.

my pojnt was that I honestly think it Vela played we would not have won 1-4. Slivka and Newall were getting stuck in.

what I did notice is that today we pressed as a team in spells putting allot of pressure on St Johnstone back line and keeper, resulting in rushed clearances.

Maybe wrong time to have brought it up and was never intended to take the shine of what was an outstanding display and result today

hfc rd
10-11-2019, 12:07 AM
I have been on other posts tonight highlighting there were 11 players who heriocallly battled for the short today. Perth has never been an easy ground to pick up points for us throughout the years.

my pojnt was that I honestly think it Vela played we would not have won 1-4. Slivka and Newall were getting stuck in.

what I did notice is that today we pressed as a team in spells putting allot of pressure on St Johnstone back line and keeper, resulting in rushed clearances.

Maybe wrong time to have brought it up and was never intended to take the shine of what was an outstanding display and result today

You mentioned Joe Newall got stuck in for the team and done well. That’s a sentence I haven’t heard all season in regards to Newell’s contribution in a Hibs shirt this season. Let’s face it, before a ball was kicked in Perth yesterday afternoon, he had been just as poor or even worse than Vela. I’ve been one of Joe Newall’s biggest critics this season and I have to hold my hands up and give credit where it’s due. He did play well and for me starts with a clean slate.

The same goes for Vela. More than happy to give him a chance to make up for a poor start to life at Hibs. I hope he proves me, you and every other Hibs fan wrong.

calumhibee1
10-11-2019, 07:20 AM

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2019, 07:58 AM
You mentioned Joe Newall got stuck in for the team and done well. That’s a sentence I haven’t heard all season in regards to Newell’s contribution in a Hibs shirt this season. Let’s face it, before a ball was kicked in Perth yesterday afternoon, he had been just as poor or even worse than Vela. I’ve been one of Joe Newall’s biggest critics this season and I have to hold my hands up and give credit where it’s due. He did play well and for me starts with a clean slate.

The same goes for Vela. More than happy to give him a chance to make up for a poor start to life at Hibs. I hope he proves me, you and every other Hibs fan wrong.

I dont understand that at all, its not wrong to say someone has been awful on the park, just as its not wront saying how well someone has played.

The whole team bar the odd exception has been crap resulting in us being BOTTOM of the league a couple of weeks ago for 10 minutes or so, and the manager being punted last week.

It appears the shackles have been taken off, and players can express themselves, long may it continue.:thumbsup::thumbsup::top marks:top marks

Cataplana
10-11-2019, 09:03 AM
Nothing really matters.

At all.

Anyone can see.

Iggy Pope
10-11-2019, 09:10 AM
Grim behaviour? can you please elaborate.

My point was that what a difference it was having 11 committed players to play for us toady rather than Vela who has shown nothing this season that shows other wise.

Did you witness Hamilton away, Ross County back turning or The semi last week.

Witnessed all of that but I find your determination to dig up your own thread, long inactive, simply to have a pointless pop at the man a bit grim. Can’t all be sweetness and light, but give your stress a wee break. That’s all I can elaborate on.

Green Badger
10-11-2019, 09:12 AM

Eddie May in the paper today “Because I’ve not been to one game (this season) I cant judge players on what they’ve done in the past. All I can do is look at what they’ve done in training since Tuesday, which is why I picked the team I did”

That’s definitely a clean slate for all the players.

CraigHibee
10-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Most had doidge written off, look how he got on in the game, maybe a different system will work with vela, i would personally love to see hecks signings come good so that its less of a rebuild job

The Leith Dutch
10-11-2019, 10:23 AM
Will the real Josh Vela please stand up now the shackles are off

Everyone starts with a clean slate

This.

Fuzzywuzzy
10-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Nothing really matters.

At all.

The needle returns to the start of the song

Greenbeard
10-11-2019, 11:24 AM
Eddie May in the paper today “Because I’ve not been to one game (this season) I cant judge players on what they’ve done in the past. All I can do is look at what they’ve done in training since Tuesday, which is why I picked the team I did”

No probs with that, even though I have slated Vela as not being vela good, but hopefully in the first instance he is reassessed at East Mains re attitude, commitment, work rate and contribution to the team, then maybe in a development game or two before getting another chance to prove himself with the big team.

pollution
10-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Yes, I did. At half time. He talked with great gusto and pretend sincerity of his worth when he was not even on the bench.

He talked nonsense: a football parody, one fish supper away from obesity.

NAE NOOKIE
10-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Yes, I did. At half time. He talked with great gusto and pretend sincerity of his worth when he was not even on the bench.

He talked nonsense: a football parody, one fish supper away from obesity.

He said 'we' when talking about Hibs poor start to the season and the reasons for it, so I'm not sure how that equates to an abdication of responsibility. He also pointed out that this is the first time in his career he has been away from his home environment which is fair enough if you ask me, some players cope with that better than others.

Its fair to say that he has hardly set the heather on fire this season ... just like everybody else, or have I been missing all of the outstanding performances by his team mates? The guy has 160 appearances for Bolton in the English championship ( hardly a league for softies ) and had the respect of their fans before he left. That says to me that this is a player who has far better in him than he has shown and before we decide he is a lost cause we should wait and see if he can react to Heckingbottom being gone the way his team mates did yesterday.

I mean c'mon, Newell? If he had been left out yesterday the criticism some folk are aiming at Vela could just as easily, in fact more easily, have been directed at him.

Clean slate for everybody, including Josh Vela ... and thats exactly how it should be.

Since452
10-11-2019, 01:24 PM
As others have said I'm happy to call it a clean slate. Thought Vela was immense against Celtic at ER a while back so I'm not doubting there's a player there. Probably suffered a dip in confidence. The worry for him though is if a new manager comes in he'd be foolish not to stick with the team that completely dominated proceedings yesterday. Think May got it bang on.

hibeerealist
10-11-2019, 01:28 PM

Good point Smartie and spot on, shackles off now boys let’s see what you can do.

Deansy
10-11-2019, 01:29 PM

You can also look at Eddie's statement and glean from it that to be dropped from the squad entjrely yesterday, Vela hasn't exactly impressed at training either !. I'm all for clean-slates/2nd chances but if I'm being honest I can't get past my belief that Vela's attitude is the same as Hecky's - 'it's only the Scottish game but at least it's a pay-packet' !

NAE NOOKIE
10-11-2019, 01:37 PM
You can also look at Eddie's statement and glean from it that to be dropped from the squad entjrely yesterday, Vela hasn't exactly impressed at training either !. I'm all for clean-slates/2nd chances but if I'm being honest I can't get past my belief that Vela's attitude is the same as Hecky's - 'it's only the Scottish game but at least it's a pay-packet' !

Thats what giving him the same clean slate as everybody else will confirm or not. His record shows he has the capability and attitude to play at this level, if it is the case that this is just semi retirement for him he wont last long ... better players than him with that outlook have been found out up here.

Time will tell.